Ever tweeted at a company? Did they reply? Tanya tweeted so consistently that she got a phone call...from her bank! Tanya and I break down passwords and multi-factor authentication, the bread and butter of security that many folks still don't get right.
- Tanya talks about enabling MFA on Tangerine Bank, WealthSimple, and PayPal.
- Tanya wrote a blog post titled "Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)" that explains what MFA is for people who are not familiar with the term.
- The site twofactorauth.org is a community maintained database of which sites support 2FA and which do not.
- Conor built an open-source browser extension called 2FA Notifier, which alerts you anytime you visit a site that is known to support 2FA and helps you enable it.
- During Microsoft Ignite 2018, Azure shared that adoption rate of MFA among admins was only 1.7%. “The rate increased from 0.7% in 2017 to 1.7% in 2018. Yes, it doubled, but it is still terrible.”
- Tanya mentioned Jessy Irwin’s mantra “If you liked it, then you should have put some crypto on it” and multi-Raptor authentication.
Canonical URL: https://allthingsauth.com/podcast/009-tanya-janca-of-microsoft.
What is The All Things Auth Podcast?
Every 2 weeks, Conor Gilsenan hosts a conversation with creators, researchers, founders, and advocates who are working to improve the usability of security and privacy technologies.
Guests share what they are currently working on, how they got to where they are today, who they are trying to help, and what keeps them motivated to overcome challenges along the way.
The goal is for the rest of us to learn from their experiences and go on to promote usable security and privacy within our own projects and organizations.