In this episode, Charli, Miguel, and Justin discuss the biggest mistakes creators make when it comes to brand sponsorships, what an ideal sponsorship looks like, how to win brands over with confidence, and why you’re never too small to add value and earn money working with the brands you love.
- [00:58] - Have you heard?
- [01:05] - Snapchat is introducing revenue sharing on ads in creator stories.
- [04:47] - IZEA released their State of 2022 Influencer Earnings. YouTube and TikTok were the top-earning platforms.
- [06:51] - ConvertKit is conducting a survey about the creator economy. Here’s a sneak peek at early survey results!
- [07:55] - Today’s main topic: How can creators run successful sponsorships?
- [08:08] - Always ask the brand what the goal of the campaign is. Your pricing should change based on the brand’s goal.
- [08:55] - Brands have three main campaign goals: conversion focused, content repurposing focused, and brand awareness focused. You can charge the most for brand awareness campaigns.
- [14:11] - Creators often negotiate against themselves. Rather than overexplaining your rate, lean into the silence and let brands respond.
- [16:38] - Don’t be reactive with your negotiations. You’re not beholden to the brand’s proposal. You can create your own “packages” with different content and pricing options.
- [21:54] - Be honest with yourself about which sponsorships are a good fit for your audience, be responsive with brands from the beginning, and be flexible if brands occasionally request things outside your contract.
- [28:51] - You have to engage brands at every stage of the creator pipeline. Otherwise, you may go months and months without receiving a paycheck.
- [30:51] - Don’t wait to initiate sponsorships! You have incredibly unique value regardless of your follower count.
- [34:41] - When it comes to working with brands, confidence is key.
- [36:59] - Listener shoutout! Krystal Proffitt recently hit 4,000 subscribers on YouTube and got to speak at Podcast Movement University.
- [37:40] - A sneak peek at next week’s episode.
- Watch The Future Belongs to Creators on YouTube
- Fill out ConvertKit’s creator survey!
- Justin Moore
- Creator Wizard
- Creator Wizard on YouTube
- Join Justin’s email list
- So…TikTok Sucks
- IZEA The State of Influencer Earnings 2022 Report
- Krystal Proffitt
- Podcast Movement University
- Isa Adney
What is The Future Belongs to Creators?
A show for creators, by creators. Every Wednesday, hosts Charli Prangley, Miguel Pou, and Haley Janicek explore the creator economy, discussing the topics and questions facing creators and creative hopefuls alike.