Intro: No, don't mourn him. He was dead long before we ever Bastard! Hush now. Everything's all right. Frank's here. Bastard! Your dear old Uncle Frank. What the hell is that? Frank! No! We have to hear it from your own lips! This isn't for your eyes. You set me up, bitch.
Gary Hill: Hello, folks. Welcome to the CinemaBeef Podcast. I'm one of your hosts, Gary Hill. With you tonight, Suzanne is here. How are you doing?
Suzanne: I'm doing well, other than the fact that the media is trying to make me murder people at the grocery store.
Gary Hill: Ah, we we'll all get over it, you know. Somebody gets trampled, it'll be all good. That's just natural selection.
Suzanne: You know, some Bible.
Gary Hill: There you go. It's all good. Be just fine, see? And with me is a person that I haven't talked to and have been on a podcast, and I always wonder if she's thinking about that. Then I try to cut to the chase, and there she is. Jamie is here, how you doing?
Jamie: You know I'm doing well.
Gary Hill: I had to bust your balls. I'm sorry, you know.
Jamie: No, I mean, you're right though. I mean, shit kept happening, but we finally made it, and I'm really excited. Not always my fault. I want to add. No, it's not.
Gary Hill: I'm just busting your ball.
Jamie: But natural selection as in people doing the giant straw challenge. Have you seen those idiots?
Suzanne: Oh God.
Gary Hill: Is this on TikTok with those fucking morons?
Jamie: I I don't know. I saw clips of it that somebody at foot posted on Facebook, but um it's basically people trying to drink with a toilet paper tube. And being shocked when they choke themselves. I was like, you're an idiot.
Suzanne: I have not even heard of this.
Jamie: I just saw it this morning. Look it up. It's really hilarious because people are idiots. But I am glad to be here. I am glad to be with you guys. It's been way too long, and we're going to have fun.
Gary Hill: Yes, yeah. Glad glad you c you were on with us, and I appreciate that. Uh since it's been so long, I'll ask Jamie first. What's she been watching lately?
Jamie: Oh my goodness, a lot. We have my thingy here. We have well, I just watched today was the one hundred sixteenth movie this year.
Gary Hill: Nice.
Jamie: And thanks to the state of the world these days, I'm going to have a lot more movie watching time coming up. So I should be doubling that in about two weeks. But lately we watched. We're in the A's of our we finally, two years later, we have finally gotten to the A's in our collection. So we watched most recently Apocalypse Now, which holy shit, that movie is so amazing. Oh, God, it is. Every frame of that is just gorgeous. It is gorgeous. And I it oh. I can't even get over it. Like, it's one of those movies where when we were watching it, I went to go, I was in the middle of making dinner, so I went to go pull something out of the oven, and Brian's, You want me to pause it? And I'm like, Yeah. I don't want to miss like any bit of any of it, not even a little bit of it. I can't afford to miss any of it because that's how much it that's how good it is. That's how much I love it. So that's a that's been a highlight. I rewatched Arachnophobia for the first time in a while. And that stuff that I think it holds up really well. That's a fun movie. We saw the new the newest new Jumanji, which I had a whole lot of fun with.
Gary Hill: I think I'm going to like the next one better, from what you get at the very end of the movie. Yeah, I'm going to have more fun with the next one.
Jamie: I'm really looking forward to that. It's fun. I think it'll be fun. I love both of those though. And so, but yeah, when we get to the end of the first one or the second one, I'm like, ooh, is that going to be the third one? I want to see it. We also watched Little Monsters, which was really fun, you know, little zombie movie with Lupita Niango, who, holy shit, is so pretty. She has the most amazing skin. Like there are scenes where she does. And I mean, like, it's so smooth. and just like creamy looking. When she there would be scenes where she's talking to someone and she was wearing like a sundress. So she's talking to someone and you can see her back and her shoulders and Like her skin is flawless. Just flawless. And then she's so pretty. I'm like, oh. Um, but yeah, really, really enjoyed that. And of course we watched the new Black Christmas, which I did not enjoy.
Gary Hill: I'll talk about that too, trust me.
Jamie: And then things like Anthropophagus, which has been forever since I saw that. But that was that was fun. If we ever want to do like a George Eastman double bill That would be really fun to do with oh, what the hell is that other movie? Absurd. Thank you. Absurd. And Which we also watched not that long ago because it's also an A movie.
Suzanne: But anyway, stuff like that. That's what we've been doing.
Jamie: Cool.
Gary Hill: Suzanne.
Suzanne: I've actually been delving into a lot of television. So I've been watching and this will make you laugh. I started watching The Shield. It's one of those shows that I always I catch an episode of. Here and there, but you have to watch the whole thing in a more linear sense. And since we picked up the all access CBS, I started watching the unicorn. So I'm getting two shades of Walton Goggins.
Gary Hill: Yeah.
Suzanne: Hard-ass cop, really nice dude.
Gary Hill: He always breaks something to whatever he's in. He always does.
Suzanne: Oh, he does. And I actually went and looked at his. filmography. I'm like, Jesus Christ, I've seen him in about fifty fucking things. And oh, I've had a question for Jamie. There is a movie that's been on shutter. And I have a feeling if you haven't seen it, you need to see it. It's called Tigers Are Not Afraid.
Jamie: Oh, man. That is a movie that I have been wanting to watch for a while because I it had it got so much buzz last year. And I never got around to it. But I really, really want to. Have you seen it? Yes. Okay, so you're saying you're saying it that I need to. Okay, good.
Suzanne: Yes, you that you definitely need to see this. This movie, because I watched it and I was kind of just trying to round out a bunch of 2019 horror movies. And this is one of the last ones I watched, like up to like an hour before the show. And this movie. Fucking gutted me. It was so good, so sad. But it it hit all of the right notes. There was a heart to it that I have not seen in a long time.
Jamie: Well, that is very cool. Well, I'm glad to hear I'm glad to hear you say that because it has definitely been one that has been on my radar, but for whatever reason, I haven't pulled the trigger on it.
Suzanne: And we have a shutter. Yeah, I have I did the same thing because I was afraid that a lot of the a lot of the movie was it was just hype. But I'm like, you know what? I just want to sit down and watch it. And I am so thankful I did. It was a beautiful piece of filmmaking. And on top of that, I ended up watching this thing on Prime. Everybody knows I have this thing. I love My hair metal. Love it. Love that era of music. Love old rock and roll. And there's a documentary called The Rainbow. all about the rainbow room on the strip in Los Angeles. And it basically starts off more as an homage to Lemmy and the fact that he lived like Three places down from there, and he was there every day.
Gary Hill: He loved putting those fucking video machines on the bar. Yeah, I know.
Suzanne: But it is a love letter to everything I love about that era of music. And I don't give any fucks whatsoever. It was Fantastic. It I it just I got the happy feels just remind just remembering How what it was like when new albums would come out by your favorite bands. That just doesn't happen anymore. And the music of the time. So, yeah, if you're into that, I highly recommend The Rainbow. And yeah, other than that, Pat's been watch making me watch these really bizarre conspiracy theory documentaries from these people that really need to get out of mom's basement. We actually watched something on the Lizardman conspiracy last night, and there's an hour and a half of my life of never getting back. Thanks, Matt.
Gary Hill: There you go.
Suzanne: It was called I really want to see it was called Above Majestic, streaming on Hulu. So do yourself a favor and don't watch it. That's about it.
Gary Hill: Man, oh man. Yeah, I I finished Hunters, so there there's that, and it ends it ends in a way to tell you, Hey, you're really excited for next season or you're not really that excited for next season and It kind of peters out a bit towards the end. But then you get an ending that says, wow, this is a thing. Let's see where this goes. What one spoiler clones show up in the end of the episode at the end of the end of the season. Okay, so yeah.
Suzanne: Well, I was episode two aggravated me, and then Pat wanted to watch it, so I'm stuck at episode two.
Gary Hill: See, I think I think your boy, uh Percy Jackson, L Lauren, uh whatever his name is, Lerner, he he gets weaker and weaker as the sea as the season goes on, which is my problem. This is supposed to be the guy you're supposed to be rooting for to be the hero to to pick up pick up the pace for for his his dead grandmother and and he's a fucking pussy he's really a pussy and it that not in the sense of It kicked out somehow, I don I don know what happened.
Suzanne: Yay, you're bad!
Gary Hill: Yeah, it Skype just shut down, I don't know. It's weird. Um Was I talking about last, or what I was talking about last?
Suzanne: Was it we were talking about Logan Luhrmann and Hunters, and he's a big giant pussy.
Gary Hill: Yeah. I'm going leave that one there and say that I watched Uncut Gems. And uh, yeah. Uncut Gems is the thing that I watched with Adam Sandler. It's a good movie. I I I it it deserves all all the hype, although I don't think Adam Sandler was too dramatic in the film. I mean, he was kind of like a real happy-go-lucky dude considering all the shit he was in the film. Uh basically the plot of the film is he's um a Jewish diamond merchant. Uh fa fancy that. And uh he um he gets a hold of an uncut diamond from Ethiopia. And he's banking on selling it for big amounts because he owes a lot of money to these bookies. And he he keeps an extravagant lifestyle with his mistress and his wife and yada yada yada. So all these oppositions are going all at once. as he's trying to sell first of all, he lose the diamond, then he has to find the diamond and then try to get try to get rid of it, you know, for a big amount and It all leads to where the end to where you think it's going to lead. And yeah, it it it it doesn't either end's good or the end of it's it's for the same guys that made That film Good Time with uh Robert Pattinson. I think it's the the the Softa Brothers or something like that. I forget their names, but they're brothers and they they make films. But um it's worth their time, I think. Um, I just don't think this is like his best dramatic work ever. Like, like, oh wow, he deserved an Oscar. No, not really. It's just a good movie he's in. And, uh, I will say that. Other thing I watched is uh That black Christmas thing that came out last year, and I got this for two dollars. So I figured, yeah, if I'm gonna hate watch something, I I might it might as well be this and uh I wasn't disappointed as far as the hate watching goes 'cause it is it is is not good and it does it it follows certain beats Especially in the beginning of the movie, to where you know this film is uh it's written by fe written by females and directed by a female, and that's great. I I love females in the industry. But if your first two minutes of your film has your perc your girls, the girls are they're supposed to be the heroes of this movie call each other bitches I'm not big on that in any sense, whether it's casual or in a movie. I mean, you got real bohunk dudes calling women bitches like it's nobody's business. But don't don't get offended if a man calls you a bitch, you know, in the sense of saying, Oh, how dare you? It's, no, you're calling each other bitches. And this is my problem. You, you chill a little more respect for yourself and don't refer to each other as bitches.
Suzanne: Because it's not cute.
Gary Hill: It's not cute at all
Suzanne: Here's my problem.
Gary Hill: Huh.
Suzanne: I grew up watching female directors. Penelope Spirits. Susan Seidelman, they never had to resort to the lowest common denominator. And that seems to be what a lot of the newer generation of female directors Or did we?
Jamie: Yeah. And honestly, piss me off. Yeah, I don't want you guys to piss me off. Because men. Even the good guys in the movie can't be good guys. You know, it's like it they're not they're not allowed to be good guys all the way through the movie. They have to, at some point, come under control of the badness. And it's, you know, basically it's saying, you know, all men are weak and they are inclined to be. You know, rapey assholes. No, it's not the way it is. Stop it. You know, misandry is not going to get us anywhere. You know, and this film is not feminist. It's straight up misandrist, and it's ridiculous. And I just was angry through the whole thing. Brian didn't like it for a lot of technical reasons. He just didn't think it was a good movie. I was pissed off, straight up pissed off at the message. Because it's aimed right at young girls, and this is not what we should be teaching them. So I just ugh, not to mention the fact that it just they Got on my nerves.
Gary Hill: And Masaji and Masaji comes from black goo that comes dripping from a statue in this movie. So they get all supernatural with it. So I'm spoiling it for you so you don't have to watch this movie, 'cause it's not good. It's not good at all.
Suzanne: Oh, you wanna watch a really good outing by a female writer director? Tigers are not afraid. Go there instead. Watch something that has like a fucking soul to it.
Gary Hill: So so all all you candy asses that are bitching about the one from like two thousand and five that I happen to kind of enjoy actually
Jamie: I don't like that one either, but it's for a very different reasons.
Gary Hill: It's very brutal and I enjoy that aspect of it. The whole part with the flesh cookies and all the other technical bullshit like that. I wasn't a fan of that. But, you know, as far as like the killer and the gore, I thought it was on point. And I actually like it a little bit better than the original one. I'm not going to lie to you. Just just a little bit.
Jamie: Oh, you just hurt my soul. Well, I don like the original one.
Gary Hill: I don't like the original one all that much.
Jamie: L listen.
Gary Hill: Listen to um there's an episode with me and Ryan Lewis talking about it. And I think I broke him.
Jamie: You broke Ryan? I think so.
Gary Hill: Oh, he's a good man, though. Yeah, that's about all I watched, really. You know, I'm I'm gonna leave it at that and uh kick it to our next segment. We talked a good hour before the show, by the way, about some major beefage. But uh, this is the Beef Mixed and Mashed Potatoes.
Suzanne: Okay, who gets the burley beef?
Gary Hill: I ordered barbecue beef.
Suzanne: I think that's mine, but I didn order to try it. Mine's the juiced a lot. Okay, who gets the burley beef?
Gary Hill: I heard that.
Jamie: Jamie, what's your beef, girl? Oh man, so many things. But I mean, look around. We're just surrounded by assholes.
Gary Hill: Throw a rock, why don't you?
Jamie: It's driving me nuts just seeing how assholes people are. And like I get that at a time like this, people are concerned, people are afraid. That's mainly it. They're afraid. But What pisses me off is, and Suzanne brought this might actually be her, so I won't steal it if it is, but The public is being pushed into fear. And that's not helping anything. It's only making things worse. And there are precautions that we're taking that make sense. But at the same time, there are things that don't make any sense. You know, like that people are not going to stop. Producing toilet paper. Like it is not going to be you're we're not, and like Suzanne said earlier, off air, you're not going to get explosive diarrhea if you get the coronavirus. So settle down. Buy what you need and leave the rest for people who need it too. Like there's just no reason to hoard. And honestly, there's no reason for it to go missing at all because On any other r you should be going through the same amount of toilet paper that you have always gone through. Nothing is going to change. Now, I understand that you don't want to leave your house. But I think it's just it's people are taking it too far to the extreme, and it's it's ridiculous. And it's making me honestly I had to go to the store and legitimately buy some, and I didn't want to do it. I didn't want to do it because I didn't want to look like that guy. And I s you know, that's ridiculous. Also, laundry detergent. I legitimately needed laundry detergent. I didn't expect that aisle to be empty. What the fuck is up with that? Why are you suddenly doing so much laundry? What does that have to do with anything? But. It's just it people just panic and they have to get everything. And it's like, I just need I need this and I need this and I need this and I don't need anything but this remote and this chair. Like, stop. But and it m and what even then, the thing that makes me angry about it is that the fact that people are fighting each other Or being violent to one another.
Suzanne: That's the one thing that scares me the most is someone is going to pop a cap in someone's ass over a roll of toilet paper.
Jamie: Yeah. And it will happen. It will happen. Oh, it will. It's only a matter of when.
Gary Hill: And that's it. Suzanne.
Suzanne: Well, I'm going to expand upon this a little bit more because the media should be keeping everybody calm. Providing facts. But no, all they're doing is creating a frenzy.
Jamie: And I. I knew that was going to be yours. That's why I didn't that I didn't miss.
Suzanne: Oh, no, no, no. I feel free to jump in on this anytime because I know we're all feeling the same thing. I'm being calm. The worst that's going to happen is I'm stuck in my house for two weeks. I've got thousands of movies in several channels. I will be fine. I'm just afraid someone's going to come tapping on my fucking door to steal shit.
Jamie: Yeah.
Suzanne: But the media is, once again, I am so disgusted with journalism because you're not telling anybody what's going on. All you're doing is sitting there looking at the camera with your blank fucking face going, It's time to panic. You better get this, you better get that, you better do this. Stay home, don't go anywhere. You better. Oh my God. No, you're not helping anybody with this. It's the fucking flu. Get the fuck over it and. I really hope a lot of these people are when the when this is all said and done, someone needs to be accountable for some of the shit that's going to happen. You know what's going to happen. I know it's going to happen. I just don't want it to happen in my backyard.
Jamie: Yeah. I mean, nothing is scarier than frightened human beings. Yeah. You know, that's how people get trampled in if a fire breaks out in a building, you know, or like even in jaws, you know, when When he blew the whistle because they saw the shark in the water, and then the old man gets knocked down and trampled to death. Yeah, I mean, it's that's how people get killed, it's not because of the thing itself. Because of people's reaction to it. And I'm not concerned about it. I mean, I probably will get sick, you know, but And then, you know, we'll see what happens. But that's not even my biggest concern right now. My biggest concern is how everybody's going fucking nuts. and also how currently it's affecting everything financially. And that right now is my biggest my biggest worry. But that The financial ramifications and the crazy ass people. Those are the two things I'm most concerned about.
Suzanne: I know my husband works. He goes to facilities all over the world. He was supposed to be in Poland in two weeks. Then we have the big dog and pony show downtown, which is This is where everybody showcases their stuff. This is where a lot of sales are made, and a lot of people continue to keep their jobs. Well, you're gonna see and that is the one thing that scares me almost as much as somebody freaking out. And shooting someone over a roll of toilet paper at my local jewel. Oh, I don't Someone needs to be held accountable for the panic that's been created. I'm calm. My mother is calm. I'm like, mom, just make sure you have some extra stuff in the fridge. Forget about it, you know.
Gary Hill: I mean, look at Tom Hanks, a perfect example of handling something with class. You know, him and his wife were in Australia, and they felt ill, they felt weak. You know, and they said, Where did we get checked out? And then his statement, you know, he did he wasn't feeling sorry for himself. He wasn't saying, Go run to your local grocery store and ransack it. He was just saying, We're going to sit here, we're going to take the time a lot that we're supposed to have, and we're going to ride it out. And that's that's all he says, you know.
Jamie: His statement was absolutely, it was perfection. It was total perfection. I loved everyone Isn't that how the media should have handled it? Yes. You notice how calm he was? How, you know, um and he said he's like, you know, eh, we had some aches and pains, some slight fever, some chills. So we went to the doctor and yeah, we're positive. But, you know, we're just gonna We're going to ride it in our hotel room and wait it out.
Suzanne: You know, we're not like us words. We're not fucking stupid. Yeah.
Gary Hill: Yeah, I have no people besides this, you know. Just the stuff going on.
Suzanne: Well, I said this plan.
Gary Hill: I mean, slowing down jobs. I worry about Dude because Disneyland closed today, so his job could be closed down next. on the other side of the the the the country in Florida it for Disney and I uh yeah, it's where people's jobs and what they're gonna do. We've uh Trump's bailout doesn't go through by saying and I will give him some class class points here. I don know how true it is about him trying to make folks whole if they're out of work, you know, during the time this is going on, you know. We'll see how that plays out.
Jamie: So well, I heard him say specifically people who are either sick or caring for those who are sick or quarantined. I d but I don't know what his what if if any plans they have for people who are just fucked because their job is ruined, you know. Yeah. So I don't know. And that that honestly makes me nervous. But you know, like I said, we'll just have to kind of I mean, as it is, it's already hitting home. It hits it hit home for Suzanne. And Pat, it's hitting home for me. And I didn't expect it to happen that fast, but it fucking happened overnight. And I mean, like, literally overnight. We were okay one day. There were a whole bunch of meetings, and then the next day, it's like, bam, the axe fell down. My property, all of the our staff was basically cut in half. And it's so it's dire. It's really, really bad. That concerns me. I don't know what. I mean, I'm getting emails from my credit card company saying, you know, hey, we understand that people are going to be going through hard times. Let us know how we can help. And I'm like, really? What are you going to do? I mean,
Suzanne: What are you going to do to die for six months?
Jamie: Right. I mean, like, what are you going to do? Because that would cripple them. You know, they can't. They can't really do much, but you know, thanks for trying to make it double-edged sword.
Suzanne: And I said this when we were talking earlier. That I actually yelled at someone at the grocery store because she decided to clear the entire rack of hand soap, all of it. I mean, this is going to be gone in a few months, and she's going to have hand soap to get her through till what, late 2029. And I said to, I was like, other people need to wash their hands too. And this woman glared at me, and other people were kind of looking at her. And they should have given her the stink eye, too. Did she put any of it back? Nope. And I think I'm sorry, stores should limit that. Two hand sanitizers. Two packs of toilet paper?
Gary Hill: I got emails from a grocery store about this, and yeah, they're just going through, they're enforcing it certain places.
Suzanne: Well, they need to do that all over because this is bullshit. It's Once again, it's just it's this panic that's been created that is just going to make things terrifying for a while. Yeah, I'm done, bitch.
Gary Hill: It's cool now. So basically, if you got any from this conversation, our beefers are lovely listeners and friends. Be considerate. Be responsible. Don't be an asshole to your fellow men. So, if anything, yeah, this this is Lernos is to treat your your fellow men better and maybe check in on a neighbor or something like that, you know, because uh I realize it's a very real thing, but people as a collective can make it worse. And I'm going leave it at that. And I'm sure my co-hosts agree with me on that.
Jamie: Absolutely.
Gary Hill: Oh my god. Speaking of tonight, though, we're talking about hell on earth, people. Much like we're living in right now, see? But in a much more fun way, in a torturous way, in some senses. I picked two films. Basically, about two guys who escaped from hell and the Harbingers who intend to bring them back. We're doing Drive Angry from 2011. And the classic we haven't done yet. Hellraiser from 1987. Fancy that, right? People don't know the movie at all. Just throwing it out there, you know. I think we'll start with Drive Angry. First, wraps on the trailer.
Drive Angry Trailer: Tell him I'm coming. You're too late. Hell's gonna walk there. Hell already is walking the earth. He broke out of hell to make things right. And got mixed up with the wrong crowd. Now, he's got one last shot at redemption. That cult killed my daughter and took her baby. I am going to get her back. Thought you were dead. You hoped I was dead. But the devil's right-hand man wants to. To bring him back. I'm looking for someone. 6'1. Angry with attitude? If you don't tell me what I want to know. 22 miles of hard road. Now that's a hell of a ride. Just so you know, I don't pick up hitchhikers. I didn't have my thumb out. Oh, yeah. We got a fight coming. That baby girl's all I got. My whole life, it's been nothing but waiting, and now it means something. I'm with you until the end. Oh, yeah. You can't stop me. I am going to kill you. Mess, you are. What kind of gun is that? You think there's anybody in there? I won't see you again until you're 73. You all see in three months.
Intro: The hell does that mean?
Drive Angry Trailer: Drive angry. Shot from 3D. Wouldn't want to be you when Satan finds out. What's he gonna do? Not let me back in.
Gary Hill: Drive Angry from 2011. This, of course, is a rated R in 3D. You're placing plot synopsis. A vengeful father escapes from hell and chases after the men who killed his daughter and kidnapped his granddaughter. Uh this is directed by Patrick Uh uh Lu Lucier is it's it's French I'm sure. Um uh I think he gave us um the My Blade Valentine remake, which I c I enjoy. I'll just cut it out, Sue. Um, written by Patrick Lucier and and Todd Farber, who let me tell ya, um
Jamie: Showing his ass.
Gary Hill: Yeah, but he gave me. Yeah, he's in this movie showing his ass. But he gave me Jason X, and I appreciate him for that every time I watch it because it's my kind of silly. Kind of like this movie. But, um. This stars Nicholas Cage as John Milton. Fancy that. Amber Heard, who I can't even look at anymore. I'm sorry. After this stuff with Johnny Duff, it just is crazy.
Jamie: That's funny because when we were watching this, I said, I don't give a shit how crazy she is. That girl's hot.
Gary Hill: David Moore shows up in this movie.
Jamie: Brian's response was, I'd let her beat me up. Yeah, we'll do that, yeah.
Gary Hill: Tom fucking Atkins shows up in this movie, as of course you guessed at a cop. And the guy who's having the most fun in this movie, William Ficht Fic Fickner. There you go. I can't pronounce his fucking name Ficht Fickner. There you go. Plays the accountant of all things. that his role in this movie seems like the most fun of this movie. And uh Billy Burke as Jonah King, our satanic leader. Um I know Suzanne hasn seen Sephora since the before the show. Have you seen him before, Jamie?
Jamie: No, I never had.
Gary Hill: I I'm gonna let You got Jamie kick it off first. It's been a while since he's been on the show, so go ahead.
Jamie: Um, you said me?
Gary Hill: Yes.
Jamie: Okay. I, um Yeah, I'd never seen this before. I remember when it came out. I saw the trailers for it, and I remember it getting good reviews. And I'd wanted to see it, but I just never got around to it. So when you brought this up, that's one of the reasons why I was excited. Now, Hellraiser is Hellraiser. Like, duh. But I was excited to get the opportunity to see this movie. And so I asked Brian, I, Have you ever seen this He's, Yes, pretty good. And I'm like, Okay. So that means he's willing to watch it with me when I watch it for him. So when so then but I didn't know anything about it. I remembered the poster I remembered Amber Heard being in it, and I remembered Nicholas Cage being in it, and that is it. Like, I didn't know anything else. I didn't know what the plot was. I had no idea what was I didn't even I had no idea it was going to be any kind of supernatural or religious thing. I knew nothing about that. I thought it was like a heist movie or something. You know, I didn't have a clue. So when when it started, And I was just like, well, and then it's incredibly violent, but like a really fun kind of violent, you know, is just body parts flying everywhere, people flying everywhere, and just crazy violence. So that's always fun. Naked people all over the place. So hell yes, this movie is rated R. Um and I think it's kinda funny that Amber Heard was whipping up on a bunch of men and this like just kicking the shit out of just Like punching Todd Farmer in the face repeatedly, and I was like, little did anyone know. But I think she did a really good job in this movie. I enjoyed her character. I enjoyed her. Nicholas Cage, though, was he was phenomenal with his Cage rage. It, like I said, I had no idea what it was going to be when I went into it, but I enjoyed the ride all the way through, and it was just just high octane violence and driving and cars and blood and naked people. And it was really, really fun. So I had a good time. Suzanne.
Suzanne: Yeah, this was also a first time watch for me. I knew absolutely nothing about this movie. And it's like, I've got two Favorite Nicholas Cages, Mom and Dad Nicholas Cage, where he's just like, BAAA. And I like my subtle Nicholas Cage, which is Valley Girl.
Jamie: Yeah.
Suzanne: And then some of the he's done some shitty movies. Let's just admit that. But this was this was he was actually slightly controlled in this movie. My favorite character was William Fichter being the accountant. He was my favorite part of this movie. He ate up so much scenery in this movie. Every time he was on camera, he was fucking gold. And I had no idea that this was a three D movie until they were going over the bridge and all of a sudden car parts start flying everywhere. And like, oh wait, there's nothing from the car miss. Oh, wait, they did this in 3D. All right, I gotcha. But it's just, it's fun. There's boobs and In Nicholas'age, like bagging this chick, drinking whiskey, shooting people up.
Gary Hill: Whilst keeping the cigar and his Jack Daniels intact. Yeah.
Suzanne: A little Jack Daniels did still, but I blame that on her screaming, Oh, where's that cop? Where's that cop?
Gary Hill: She was still getting it too while he was killing those people.
Suzanne: No, this was just Fun. This is one of those movies you put on for your friends when you want something with a lot of action. You know, it's just Fun. I if it wasn't for the the opening scene or the ending scene, you would have no idea that he had pretty much uh Escape from hell. So, yeah, it's fun. It's a good, you know, cage rage movie. Enjoyable as hell, but. William Fechner steals the scene. And honestly, Tom Atkins, for the short amount of time he's on screen. Is just primo. It's pretty good. Yeah, I just David Morse. I actually stopped liking him after I saw him for the few the handful of episodes he was in. In house. So it's for some reason that just put a bad taste in my mouth where he's concerned. But he's a great actor. So yeah, he was he was kind of cool in this movie as opposed to me. Disliking him over, I didn't like the character he played. But yeah, fun movie.
Gary Hill: Well, let me read some of these. If've ever seen the film, I'm gonna read some of these exchanges to you, okay? Especially Fichtner, who's having the most fun in this fucking movie. The accountant goes, You, fat fuck, come here. And the guy that says, What'd you call me? What'd you just call me? He said, I called you fat fuck. And we better leave it at that unless you'd prefer to call you dead fat fuck, okay? He's having fun in this fucking movie. Oh my god.
Jamie: Oh, when he's talking to the two kids, and he's like, he's like, not even close. I'm not going to see you again until you're 73. You, I'll see you in three months. And then he walks off, and it's like, What does that mean? So good.
Gary Hill: The classic lie w w for Nick Cage, you know, while while his erect penis, I'm sure, is still inside of uh the woman of the prostitute, he goes. Candy, she goes, Oh, baby, why aren you fucked naked? He goes, I disrobed before a gunfight and just starts killing people while he's still inside of this prostitute, you know Oh my gosh. I I haven't looked down to see if he was doing a pelvic thrust or not, but I'd imagine he was still giving it to her as he was killing these people. You know? I I don't know, but If you're not even for the end of this movie, it starts with Nicholas Cage driving a muscle car out of hell, okay? And then it ends with Nicholas Cage Drinking that Sam Jack Daniels out of the skull of his enemies. Okay? So so if you're not in for the for that fun ride, then I don't know if you're my friend or not, because This is a fun it it's a dumb, fun movie all the way through. It has Satanists in it acting stupid, Hillbilly Satanist acting stupid, and neither
Jamie: Do they not remind you of the cult from Far Cry? I don't play the game from Far Cry 5.
Gary Hill: I never played the game ever. Sorry.
Jamie: Anybody out there who who has, they reminded me of the cult from Far Cry. I mean, that was pretty much exactly the same. I mean, they even dressed the same. and they had the same like they taught it was like dead on. Um but I love cults. Like I I love movies about cults and and like crazy satanic people or crazy religious people. And that and when that that wi that element was introduced, I'm like, oh my God, how how could this get any better? Like what what more could I possibly want?
Gary Hill: I mean like like you guys said it it's a three it's made for 3D so you got like a lot of like bullet time stuff which is neat because Nick Cage steals from somebody a godkiller gun, and there's no thing to kill the accountant. Once he gets a look at it, like, Yeah, I'm fucked now and the the the bullets flies and I forget something in Latins written on it and then scratches him across the face. He has a scar throughout the whole movie and Um it's just fun to watch the deterioration of this character throughout the movie 'cause he's he's dead, but he still get beat. He not he's not he's not the accountant. The accountant is like You know, the angel. Yeah, the devil that's come after to get him like a reaper, and he cannot be killed on this plane of existence except with that one gun. It's just their exchanges are fun. The accountant, there's a scene with the accountant. And I hate to keep mentioning it, but he's the most fun part about this movie. And that's a shame because it's a caged vehicle. But he I forget what's playing on the radio. But so he's he's driving this tanker truck and it's it's he's listening to oh, what is it now?
Suzanne: Oh, God
Gary Hill: This could drive me nuts. Oh my gosh. Let me let me look real fast. While whilst we're talking, I'm sure I could find it very quick. I got it open now. Dun dun dun dun dun dun dun My gosh. Sorry about this, guys.
Suzanne: I'm looking too.
Gary Hill: Yeah. That's the way I like it. The the Casey and Sunshine Band song by some played by somebody else. And he's just like whistling while he's driving his tanker truck through the t through through the blockade. And I love it every time I see it. And um, it's just a fun fucking movie. And they make it fun. I mean this film has a very thin plot. If you've seen Race with the Devil, you know, it it's it's kind of like that kind of cult, except they're really imbued by the power of Satan apparently, because Yeah, it gets really real at the end there.
Jamie: But he gets annoyed when you sacrifice children in his name.
Gary Hill: Yeah.
Jamie: Which I thought was funny.
Gary Hill: Yeah, I thought. And It's just fun. And it it has a big big action set piece at the end, you know? Kill a lot of Satanists. Kill a lot of it it's filled with big action set pieces, though.
Jamie: People getting run over left and right, thrown out of windows. I can just like that one chick who got thrown out of the window of the camper. Then she rolls out into the street and starts shooting at the back of Nicholas Cage's car, which is chasing the camper. And then out of nowhere, like this other car just whoom, like right just runs right over her.
Gary Hill: Flattens over the
Jamie: she gets like just thrown at I that to me was just sp that's the kind of thing that was happening constantly. It is impossible to get bored with something like that. Like you just you can't. It's so fun.
Suzanne: Well, this is one of the few movies I can actually say that the CGI Blood Splat really enhanced it. Because when he shot that dude's hand off, he just all of a sudden it's like Boom! It is obliterated. And I just started laughing my ass off.
Gary Hill: Yeah, I gotta mention because the cars in the film are gorgeous, the ones that Nikage drives. You had a 64 BioC Riviera, a 69 Dodge Charger, a 71 Chevy Chevelle, and a 57 Chevy 150. They're all beautiful cards in this movie. It really enhances the fact that they fuck them up, man. But I sure there was a lot of stunt cards in there. I'm not sure, though.
Suzanne: I love the fact that the Chevelle had that scratch right straight across the middle of the roof where the tiger trunk went over.
Jamie: Yeah.
Suzanne: And they kept that instead of making sure everyone forgot about it.
Gary Hill: There a little portion of the movie. There a few attention details in there. Yeah, it's good stuff.
Suzanne: Yeah, there's some nice continuity. I appreciate that.
Jamie: But yeah, like in Gone in 60 Seconds, the remake with Cage, when he fucks up that Shelby. Makes me want to cry. Like, I just, that car is amazing. And then, like, by the time you get to the end of the movie, it's barely going. And I'm like, oh, why? But. Or like when the Ferrari goes flying out the window at the end of Ferris Bueller, you know.
Gary Hill: Some paint, some polish, you're good to go. Come on.
Jamie: I love Gone in Sixty Seconds. I got that's a movie that's where I that's where I get my one impression of um oh, what's his name? Oh, no, I actually get the impression from He plays the cop in Gone in 60 Seconds, but I get the impression of him from Congo. Yes, you do. The sesame cake.
Gary Hill: Do it. We want to hear it, you know.
Jamie: Stop eating my sesame cake.
Gary Hill: Yes. She may make her do. Weta make her do it, you.
Jamie: But anyway, I know we're not talking about gun. But that Gone in 60 Seconds honestly would have been a fun movie to do with this just because Nicola's Cajun cards.
Gary Hill: One day, I mean, I I can recommend all day long, go and listen to Bo's uh Pick Six Movies episode, because it's fucking hilarious. But, um, yeah, do that. That's amazing. Um, but Jamie, anything else you want to say about the film? And what do you give a one to ten?
Jamie: I don't th I think we pretty much covered it. I mean, there's not a whole lot going on plot wise. It's very simple, you know Um Nicholas Cage breaks out of hell. He has to go save his little infant granddaughter from these cult people. And he has until midnight on the next full moon to do it. Meanwhile, he's being chased by the accountant who has to take him back. So, I mean, that's pretty much what that is it. That's the movie. But what is What is just incredibly phenomenal about it is how much fun it is. So if you've never seen it, if you're out there and you've never seen it, like I had never seen it. I do it. Like, make a point to see it because it's totally worth it. And I'm going to I'm going to give it an eight.
Gary Hill: Cool, that's fair. Suzanne.
Suzanne: William Fickner steals this movie, completely steals it. The first movie I ever remember seeing him in was Drowning Mona. And whenever he's on screen, it just in the back of my head, it's like, I'm a battered husband. In this, he owned it. I mean, he owned every scene. He hammed it up. He was fucking amazing in this movie. He's the one who made this movie for me. This movie was just a blast to watch. The cars were awesome. One of the few occasions where the CGI blood splat. Truly enjoyed it. Yeah, I'm pretty much, I made like seven and a half out of 10. I fucking loved it. I can't wait to share this to a couple of my friends.
Gary Hill: Cool. One thing Ita break up is Freddy's Nightmares Connection, Suzanne. Michael DeLuca Productions made this movie.
Suzanne: Oh, yeah, I know. I actually wrote that down when I was watching this.
Gary Hill: Yeah, that's the principal guy who made most of the Frey Snipers. If you're not listening to Burning for Springwood, please do, because we watch the garbage for you. Check it out. Um, yeah, I had to bring that one up. No, I I yeah, I've heard this is a fun 3D experience. I've never experienced it that way, but I can see by the special effects they used. How they would pop on screen with 3D. So, kudos to the production company for doing it the way they did it and attracting that crowd. And it's kind of dead now, the 3D thing. But, you know, here we are. This is fun, though. It's it's a good it's worth your time. It's a fun turn your brain off watch motherfuckers get f Squibbs for God's sake squibs they had him in this movie shotgun blast in the chest It wasn't all CG. You could see, you know, the the the gore popping out. I loved it. I loved it for that reason. He very rare in 2000 what was it, fourteen? film in two thousand four two thousand eleven, but still there everything was C G back in these days too, and they w went pretty brutal with it, and I love it. I'm gonna give it an eight out of ten as well, 'cause it's just wild as shit, and you guys should watch it. Oh gosh. But up next, we're going to do a film that nobody's seen before. 'Cause, you know, whatever. Hellraiser from 1987.
Hellraiser Trailer: I have seen the future of horror. His name is Clive Barker. Hellraiser. Beyond any terror you have imagined. A nightmare. Unlike anything you have witnessed is more. Because within these walls, the unholy is unleashed. Hellraiser, a film by Clive Barker, we will tear your soul apart.
Gary Hill: Hellraiser from nineteen eighty seven Ah, your true plot synopsis is this and the faithful wife encounters the zombie of her dead lover. The the the demonic Cenobites are pursuing him after he escaped their sadomaso sadomasochistic underworld Yeah, there's a little more to it than that, IMDb. Go eat a dick or something. This is written and directed by Clive Barker. This starts a cast of characters, most of which I have met before. So there's that Andrew Robinson, Claire Higgins, Ashley Lawrence, who just gets finer with age. God damn. Sean Chapman. Uncle Frank Oliver Smith is Frank the Monsters. You get two two two characters playing the same person. They got the Cenobites, you know, who, um Doug Bradley, who's just lead Cenobite at this point. Who's going through some shit right now? Bless you, Doug. Here, dude, one of the nicest guys in the world, man. Um Nicholas Vince is the chatterer. Simon Bamford is as the butterball centabite. Iconic. That's all I'll say about that. And uh, I'm gonna kick it to Suzanne first. And this is a dumb question, but what do you think about Hellraiser?
Suzanne: Okay, this is my top in my top three favorite movies of all time. I remember renting this. I was like maybe a junior in high school. I rented the VHS take because I'd never heard of it. It never showed on any screens around me. I don't know what kind of a release it got, but I rented this, I saw this, I looked at this, and I'm like, oh my God, this is everything that horror should be. I really hope it's as good as it looks. So I proceeded to have it for a two-day rental and watched it eight times. And then I read The Hell Bad Heart, which I don't I can see where it came from, but the movie is just one of the most visually stunning and graphic and bloody and fucking perfect horror movies ever made. And I love I didn't even realize it until I was watching Leviathan. That Andrew Robinson was the Scorpio killer in Dirty Harry. Oh, yeah. I kept looking at his face. I'm like, I know, I know you. I know I know you, and I never even bothered consulting IM D V. But yeah, he was the Scorpio killer, he was the sniper. Holy shit But the this is what I miss about horror. This movie is downright scary. It's not hidden in dark The scenes aren't dark. You see monsters. You see scary fucking monsters who are trying to reclaim someone who escaped them. And they will stop at nothing. When the bricks start falling away from the walls, and you just get this glimpse and this terrifying monsters coming out. I was I was in awe. This movie, there are a handful of movies that redefine the entire genre for me. And this was one of the big ones. They brought the gore back. They brought there's a story. It's a good story. Not seeing a lot of movies that brought that back to the screen. But it was well written with goddamn amazing gore. Oh, my God. Yes, I mentioned Leviathan, but Leviathan is about the making of Hellraiser one and two, and you get to talk to everybody. And my favorite things that they talk about were going to every drugstore in the area and buying latex condoms and KY jelly. That little drip on Frank's chin. Because you have to admit, that thing is mesmerizing whenever it's on screen. KY Jelly. So, yeah, this movie is about as close to perfection as it gets in horror. There's, I can't, and believe me, I really am trying to come up with a fault. I haven't got one.
Gary Hill: I have one, but it's a really small thing. We've talked about this for Suzanne.
Suzanne: I know we have. Yes. But and I also have a signed picture that I won at Gary's auction. And believe me, I was going to the Mat for that. This movie, like I said, it's everyone has like some very defining movies in their life. And this is one of mine. Eight times over a weekend, I would, after the movie was over, I rewound it and I would watch it again. I was inviting my friends over who were getting faint, turning green, and getting sick. Clissies? Yeah, this this movie I guess when you know you're doing it right. I still believe after I turned on Cannibal Holocaust.
Jamie: Man, oh man. You, the video store was probably pissed. They had to buy a whole new copy after you turned it back in.
Suzanne: Oh, but I did. I wore it out. And then the second, I got my allowance. I went to every place that sold VHS tapes and I bought my own damn copy of it. And I think I've gone through two D V D's. Yeah, someone got me a really nice Blu-ray for Christmas. So I pretty well I'm stopped on Hellraiser, but this movie is Perfection. Like I said, it's horror was scary again. There was something different. And I love a good slasher movie, but damn it, give me some fucking demons. Damn. Man. JMA.
Jamie: Okay. Uh, th this film has always meant a lot to me, too. It's one of the ones that is featured heavily around our home. We showcase pretty much all the spectrum of horror from the universal classics to the modern day slashers to zombie films. Like there's something representative of just about anything in our house. Hellraiser is one of the ones that you'll see pretty much from whatever angle you look. You'll either see a lament configuration sitting somewhere, or you'll see A pin we have a pinhead and a chatterer up there. You go back here to this one, and we have all the little figurines of everybody. Like, it's just it's oh, and for Christmas, I just got Brian the Liment configuration tissue box holder. Which, by the way, Suzanne, if you're interested in picking up, because I think you'd love it, I got it off Etsy. So Oh, nice. Go check it out. It's really very cool. It's wooden, it's handmade, and it's amazing. So This movie struck me as on so many different levels. I love the score. To me, the score is incredibly haunting, and it's one of those ones that As soon as you hear the first couple of strains of it, the entire movie comes back to your head. And I love when that happens. Pinhead before he was Pinhead was always so captivating. You know, he has that Doug Bradley has that voice. That is just it's like booming and deep, and it kind of gives you the chills, you know? It's just like that that right Kind of, he has that timbre in his voice that just kind of goes all over you, kind of like Tony Todd and Candyman. And he's actually one of my horror crushes. Not Doug Bradley, but Pinhead. If you I have a whole album on in my Facebook profile of my horror crushes, and Pinhead is in there. And it's just I've always enjoyed him because it's a very simple thing, but when at the end They finally catch up to Frank, and they're going to do what they do. Oh, man. And She's standing in the room, and he's like, you know, this is not for your eyes. Sorry, I had to cough. He's like, this is not for your eyes. It even though they then try to get her, even though she fulfilled her into the bargain, even though they then try to get her, for whatever reason in that moment, it has always felt kind of protective. And I I I've always gotten this vibe from it, at least for me, when he says it, I'm always like, aww, like It it just comes off as like he doesn't want her to see what's about to happen. You know, like she's an innocent. She shouldn't see that. And then, of course, and then like 30 seconds later, they're They're chasing her around the house, but it's still in that moment. I'm, aw, okay, which is, you know, kind of dope. But one issue I have is with Julia. And the second one, she's much softer. It's much better. I prefer her in Hellraiser II. In the original Hellraiser, she's so incredibly severe. Just like her makeup is very severe, her jewelry is severe, her haircut, her clothing. And I know that that's one the way that it was. I mean, that's just the way, like with the shoulder pads and everything and the hair. Like that's that was that was the fashion of the time, you know, and I know that. And also they're I think they purposely attempted to create a severity about her character because she's, you know, a bitch. But it it just is off-putting to me.
Gary Hill: I I think and I'll let me stop you right there for a second. Um yeah, as as Frank's i got more and more um bodies in him as easy as he as more and more he fed, the more and more he came together, the more and more extravagant her wardrobe became, I think, throughout the movie, if I remember correctly. And uh I I think that this is a film about temptation, about, you know, lust, and the more and more he got his body back, the more and more she lusted after him because he wasn't so gross anymore, you know.
Suzanne: Oh, yeah. Yeah. Well, it's almost kind of biblical the way that they have treated lust and adultery as You know, bringing on demons.
Jamie: Oh, yeah. And that and you know what? That is an aspect about it that I do enjoy. I don't I don't agree. I don't ah, man. To me, sexuality is not a bad thing. I think, you know, the adultery part, sure. Like, you know, that's a bad. Especially when you're willing to. Basically, murder your husband for this other person who is a dick. You know, I mean, it's not like he's it's not like he's a good guy. Um and even if he was, it'd not be okay to murder your husband. But what I mean is, it's just there's really Nothing good about the choices that she makes. There are no good choices here.
Suzanne: Like it's just it's but I mean Julia is in her core selfish and heartless. person. She she banged Frank because, well, you have to admit, he was hot and he was the bad boy.
Jamie: And yeah, and when he is um there's a particular scene where I'm not sure whi if it's the scene where he comes to the door And she enters the door and he's standing there. If it's that scene where he just looks like really like I I get it.
Gary Hill: I I I'm a I'm a heterosexual, but he's he's standing there in the rain.
Jamie: In the rain. Yeah.
Gary Hill: Like like it it looks like the the white person's version of Jerry Curl hanging down, you know, with an open shirt going on. Yeah. Just like something out of the fucking shadow. Yeah. Hi, I'm Frank. You want to fuck?
Suzanne: No, but not really. But in that little flashback scene. Oh, sorry.
Jamie: No, I would go ahead.
Suzanne: Now, I was going to say, in that flashback scene, Julia is her features are much softer.
Jamie: Oh, that's exactly what I was going to say. I mean, so that is exactly what I was going to say. So, and I had a feeling that's what you were going to go with. So, that's. Yeah, no, no, no. I'm glad you brought it up because that means I'm not crazy. So to Gary's point, you know, when you said that she That she got more severe as as it went on. Yeah, that's what I was gonna is, like, back in those flashback scenes, her hair was longer. It was a softer hairstyle, her makeup was much softer. She looked more um Like homie, for lack of a better word, like feminine. Like, um, what's the word? I'm not trying to, I guess, more feminine. I don't know.
Suzanne: I know what you're trying to say because I see the same thing because she was. Softer. That's all I, that's the best way
Jamie: I guess that's the best the best way to describe it. Yeah, she just she was much softer. And then as we see her going, she gets hardened almost. And then I kind of have the imp I get the impression that she wasn't bitchy in the beginning, you know, that when they first got together, that maybe it was the introduction of Frank to her life. And the temptation of him and her succumbing to that temptation just hardened her and turned her into this like stone cold bitch. Um, at least that's the way I interpret it. But um, I I just don't I but and I so I get the look and the point of the look and it makes sense. I just find it off putting I don think it's attractive. You know? So, like, when she's going to the bar to pick up the guys to bring back for Frank, I don't think she's attractive in those scenes. And the men are like falling all over themselves. And I'm like, I don't get it. But whatever. Um, like, yeah, I guess that's your thing.
Suzanne: I mean, the the one thing they did to emphasize that in that one scene with I can't remember the kind of chubby bald guy, and she was just wearing those I swear they look like starfish earrings. Earrings, yeah. Yes. And it was just everything was so sharp, pointy. Yeah. And yeah, exactly.
Jamie: Yeah. Like there was nothing there was nothing rounded or soft or curvy about anything. It was everything came to a really harsh point and was very severe. And so yeah, they did a good job. I mean, that that's definitely a good job. I just don't find it visually appealing, you know. But Yeah, this movie, I I've always loved this movie. I've always been attracted to anything that deals with temptation or the human sexuality. or anything like that, you know, that kind of attempts to dive into who we are as human beings and anything sexual. And this This film, like, it goes at that, like, it attacks that. And I think it does it in just a really Original, cool way. I love the sounds of the chains and the creaking, and then when you see the lights coming through the slats. I mean, all these things are very Hellraiser. And then even later into the sequels. They'll use them, they don't use them to the same effect. And it feels like later on, like they're put in there because they have to be. Like, oh, well, if it's a rail razor movie, you got to have lights through the slats. You know, it's either that or an alien invasion. But they just put them there because they're checking off a box. But here it it feels like it belongs. And the gore. Like this is the the when Frank is becoming Frank again, the whole transformation Which is a an incredibly slow transformation. When from the time that we first see him, where he's just like pulpy flesh, it is one of the few films where the gore actually disturbs me. And it's it it kinda it gets under my skin, but in a really good way, I like it, but it gets under my skin.
Gary Hill: It it looks painful for one thing.
Jamie: It absolutely does.
Gary Hill: Yes, that's the big thing that gets me with that scene.
Suzanne: Well, the one thing I have to say about this soundtrack, and then I'll shut up. I'm sorry. But the one thing I love about the score is those little tinkling bells in the background. That is the one thing that I still have the sound the score on vinyl. Yeah, and those little tinkly bells in the background. Really fucked me up.
Jamie: I used to play years and years ago, I dated a guy who Gave me a huge set of film scores that he had like he that was in he had a collection, and he put them all on disc for me. And I used to play them while I was writing, back when I would write like editorials and stuff like that. And the Hellraiser theme is one that I played a lot. Because it's just it's so moody and it's so atmospheric that it would just I loved having it going in the background. Yeah, so yeah, and I love the tinkling in the background, and then the and the I actually have it I have a Halloween CD somewhere, like a compilation that I actually bought, and that that Theme is on that compilation, which is kind of weird, but at the same time, it fits. You know, it's cool. There was something else I was going to say, and I don't remember what it was, other than I absolutely love it. But shoot. Yeah, I mean, I I think I've pretty much talked about everything. I could go on and on and on, but you don't really need me to.
Suzanne: It's just good.
Jamie: It's just damn good.
Gary Hill: Oh yeah. Hellraiser for me was um it was a rental, you know, when I was became less so pussy about horror films and I it's one of those films I didn't realize what was going on entirely until I got older. Let's put it that way. 'Cause I I watched it as a kid, probably 10, 11 years old. It went back into my twenties, and then you start to see all the little subtext of shit, like Julia's relationship with with Frank. Which is basically 'cause, you know, Larry, uh, Andrew Robinson, his brother, I mean, he's like one dad joke away from being like this milquetoast guy. So I can see why she would go for Frank she she was prob she You could like you mentioned the flashback scene. I mean her hair her hair her hair is a mess, her clothes are kind of tattered a bit. You could tell she was bored to tears. With this fucking milquetoast motherfucker. That's why when she met the stallion known as Frank, that she she she had to get that and to the point of when he's brought back from and it's this it's the little shit in this movie when they're bringing the mattress up the stairs and the part where Larry's arm gets caught on the nail, which is the blood that rebirths Frank The v the the the the them showing the the the flesh being torn up close like that, that shit makes me cringe every time You know, just it's just a small thing, but it's an it's an amazing thing to watch. It's just gross.
Jamie: Oh, I know what I was gonna say. Sorry, you just reminded me that um When she hits the guy with the hammer and then it pulls away and there's like a little piece there's like a little tuft of hair and blood on the end of the claw. That's a nice touch, you know? And it just kind of ad it makes it that much more painful. Like it it makes it feel that much more painful, you know, because like, oh, there's like hair and blood on it. That's gross. And but it was a really nice Nice, thoughtful touch, I thought. That was what I was going to say.
Gary Hill: Sorry. Cool, that's fine. Yeah, Frank himself is, you know, I love the scene where he's just like hanging when he finally put clothes on, he's just having a cigarette. Like, yeah. I just sucked some dude dry, now I gotta have a cigarette. It's it's almost like again, it goes back to like alm almost like overly overly sexualizing everything. And him, you know, I guess sucking the marrow out of these dudes because I really like the look of them when they're all, you know, all sucked dry or whatnot. They really, you know.
Suzanne: They look like just. Husks.
Gary Hill: Yeah, it's it's really bad, man. And I'm not gonna get anything away, but you, the look the look I should, everybody sees this goddamn movie. The look of the cennobites I know that the female cell bite did not want to make the second one, because the makeup was so painful to keep on, for as long as they had to keep it on. and I think it took like at least six or seven hours to just apply the makeup and she wasn't feeling it. So uh Barbie, um I forget her last name replaced her in the second film. Barbie Wilde uh replaced her in the second film. But the look of the chatterer fucks with me still to this day. And I I will say this about the cast; if you get to meet them at a convention, they always do a lot of conventions. And Nicholas Vince, the guy who plays the chatterer, like one of the nicest guys you ever want to meet in your life. He's got a long beard, and he's just a jaunty fellow. And they all look But he's like this terrifying figure on the screen, just rattling them teeth and scaring me as a small child and the the the part we get at the end, which you know, Edgar Robinson, I mean, when Frank takes his his his his skin for his own and Kirstie realizes what's going on and What's Claire Higgins' name? Julia gives like the maniacal laugh in a way. Like, yes, we planned this the whole time. You know, it's kind of like she like a supervillain in a way. She's like, basically. Perpetrate this whole thing to get Frank her her lover back to life. And I'll I'll have to say, and I mentioned this to him when when I met him, Andrew Robinson uses that come to daddy line. Entranfers three when he shows up in that movie as the bad guy. And he just he just laughed out loud when I mentioned that because he knew just what I was talking about. And the the end, the very end, where, you know, you this this is not for your eyes. If you don't know what happens, Frank is stretched. All of his skin, all of his everything is stretched by chains, and all you see is his stretched out face. And he lets out the line, Jesus wept. This is a scene I turn on people. You want to see some gross people that's not that's kind of tame. I turn on that scene, and when the the the flesh is ripped by the chains and they just show everything That's real fine and good. I I love it. But you, there's certain effects in this film, and I've read that the effects budget was small, but there's certain things that I would not have included in this film like that that monster on the rolling cart that rolls down the hallway. 'Cause it it looks dumb. Um it just it just looks really dumb. Like here's something to scare you that's gonna flail his arms around. And um the creature at the end, the the the the the hobo you see throughout the film turns into looks like the creature from the end of the Golden Child, and I can't stop laughing.
Jamie: Oh, yeah. I just like that.
Gary Hill: Yeah. My dear sweet brother Nome See, I can see that every time. This is the creature from the Golden Child, and it's just little stuff like that. That's the only flaw of this movie. is some of the jankier special effects like that, which I love stop motion, so I love that creature a little more than I say, because the stop motion with that creature for like the five seconds that you get 'em and uh stop motion with the box is really effective for me that when it starts going by itself. Um but Kirstie as a character is Well, first of all, this film is not really about her in this film. She's just she's just in the middle of all this stuff with her with her stepmom and her dead uncle and her father. She's just kind of a um um a viewer of all this. Whereas in the second film, she has a much bigger role. But so I can't really sorry about that. Hate on her for for doing the stuff she does in this film, which basically She keeps changing her deal with these cenobites, so I can see why they would want to have her as well at the end of this movie. And uh, I love it though, it's great. I mean, I can see why it's a stone cold classic. They get a little sillier to towards the the the sequels, and that's okay. But, um, I'm done talking about Hellraiser. I think you guys should see it if you haven't seen it. And if you haven't seen it, I think it's on Amazon Prime right now for you to watch. That's about it for me. And Suzanne, anything else you want to say about it? And what do you give it one to ten?
Suzanne: Yeah, I remember once again, I watched this when I was in high school, and I took this Current affairs class. So there was like seven of us in the class. It was super tiny. So Monday, we would all go around the room, talk about what we watched or what we did over the weekend. I took up 20 minutes of class time talking about Hellraiser. So, yeah, this movie changed the look of horror for me. And I've always I've told everyone, I grew up watching horror movies with my mom. I grew up watching The Twilight Zen with my mom. And this movie. Once again, just seriously, you had everything going on in this movie and the score. The look, the fact that it was it there was not a a thin part of the plot. Yeah, I I see the janky skeleton demon at the end that Flies up out of the fire. I like the stone. I like the stop motion. Yeah. No, I still am like, I'm still okay with that. I don't care how jaggy it looks.
Gary Hill: It had a $1 million budget. That's all it had. They can't really complain about it Oh, I know.
Suzanne: They did most of their makeup effects with latex condoms and KY Jelly. So whenever you are looking at that little drip on Frank. Thank you, KY. But no, this movie, I rarely I hate giving out the ten, but just because this movie changed a lot and I talked about it constantly. Everyone thought it was fucking psychotic. But yeah, this is one of the few movies that gets a straight up 10 out of 10. It's amazing in every aspect. Jamie.
Jamie: I cannot disagree with that. It also gets a ten from me. This is uh pure classic all the way. Unfortunately, I can't say that the sequels continued that, but some of them some of them bet more than others, but nah.
Gary Hill: But this this one was pretty ahead of myself. I't hate Hell Rise of Judgment like people hated it.
Jamie: I thought that was You know what's funny? The funny the first time I saw it, I Um, I didn't. I didn't hate it. I oh, you know what I said the first time? I don think I ever watched it a second time. But, um But I didn't. I didn't hate it. I would be interested to see how I felt about it if I watched it now, you know, watched it again. I a conversation with the guy who was a new pinhead.
Gary Hill: I said the way the script was constructed, I think you as Pinhead being minimal worked really well. And he was totally totally no, it's you have to watch it, Suzanne, get what I talking about, though, because it's not about
Suzanne: I saw some of the stills. I'm like, I cannot watch Hillsbury Doughboy pinhead.
Gary Hill: No, no, not that one.
Suzanne: The one after it.
Gary Hill: Okay. The one after it. That Hillary's Revelations. This one is about totally different characters where Pinhead shows up at some point in the movie, but is this part about the journalist? No.
Jamie: This is a um w what's the guy called that act that eats the paper and throws up um
Suzanne: Yeah, that's the one I'm I cannot remember the yeah, but I watched this one and I I remember it and I think I really like
Jamie: The one thing I didn't like about the it was the end, and it was the whole angel angle.
Gary Hill: It wasn needed.
Jamie: No, I didn't like that, but I really didn't like the rest of it. It was like two years ago that it came out.
Suzanne: Yeah. Okay, yeah, no, I I remember watching that one and I I think I turned it on kind of as a hate watch.
Jamie: And then you were, oh, damn it, I don't hate it.
Suzanne: I don't hate it.
Jamie: Yeah, to me, it's the best one they've done in well a very, very, very, very fucking long time. So Yeah, when it was actually written, it was actually written as a Hellraiser film, at least as far as I know, whereas the majority of the sequels were not. So there's that.
Gary Hill: I interrupted Jamie, though. I sorry, Jamie.
Suzanne: I'm sorry, I interrupted too.
Jamie: No, I interrupted you. Oh, no, because I was talking about my rating. Okay. Sorry. I but well, I mean, I was pretty much done. I this is it's a 10. It's a 10 for me. It's one of those It's an essential. You know, it is one of those films that I will always own in some way, shape, or form. And it I really, really, really want I've always wanted the Lamint configuration box set. But it was um at the time when it came out, it was um I didn't have uh a way to watch it because it was a region and it was a UK release. And now it's too fucking expensive. So, um because they don't make it anymore. And it's incredibly expensive. So I I don't own it. But I hate that because I always thought it was such a badass release. You know, that and like the ball, you know?
Suzanne: Yeah, my and my all-region player decided to die on me after I'd had it for 18 months. So now I love my Region B movies and others I can't watch until I get another one, and they're frightfully expensive.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah, it's just I would actually maybe I should look up that box set now and see if I can find it on eBay or something. But it it was at a time I looked it up a couple of years ago to see if I could find it if anybody was selling it. And it was the only ones I could find people were unloading for like 200 bucks. And I'm like, oh yeah.
Suzanne: It's like my the two things I want, I want that box set, and I also want that leather, the red leather edition of Sesperia. It was German release only.
Jamie: Yeah.
Suzanne: And the last time I saw it, it was $200 on eBay, but unfortunately, did not have $200 to spend at the time.
Jamie: So that makes me sad. But um but yeah, it's an essential it's sorry it will always be on a list of if people ask me Well, if I want to be a horror fan, what movies do I need to watch? Well, I have a list of. I should probably update it, it's about 15 years old, but I had About fifteen years ago, I made a list of one hundred movies that I would give to people who asked what movies they should watch if they wanted to get into horror. And that is really high up on the list.
Gary Hill: Yeah, it's up there. I mean, you know, I I'll I'll say that, you know, it's he's iconic. You know, the the p the cenobites that in in question are iconic. But Doug Bradley has such a commanding performance in the the little bit that he's in this movie. Because if you're looking for a whole lot of cinematic action, you're looking to watch this movie, they're only in it for a little bit. But there's it's the little stuff I love Christopher Young's score is spectacular. Oh, God. We talked about a lot of
Jamie: That they're not there that much. I mean, they're not, but they're there as much as they need to be.
Gary Hill: That's it, yeah.
Jamie: Yeah.
Gary Hill: I think it's hilarious. Some might have to be trivia. The term Cenobite is a word meaning a member of a communal religious order. The Hellbent Heart specifies that they are members of the Order of the Gash. which is, you know, more sounds more sexual as you think about it, you know, you don't catch it before. Yeah. Um, yeah, it's it's ten. I, it's it's it's it's perfect film to watch as far as like Like Jamie says, it it's essential. If you haven't seen Hellraiser, you need to find a way to watch it because you need to rectify that if you're a horror fan or a budding horror fan.
Suzanne: It's quintessential. It is quintessential horror reviewing.
Gary Hill: Big words, quintessential synergy. That's it for this one. We're going to come right back and we're going to close up the show.
Legion Podcasts Network: If you enjoyed this show, then make sure you check out the other great shows on the Legion Podcasts Network. Like Cinema Psyops, Cinema Beef, Devour the Podcasts, Dunkin and Bo come correct, Exploding Heads Horror Movie Podcast, Friday the 13th, get slayed, the hell mean power hour. Hello, this is the Doomed Show. Hero Hero Ghost Show, Kill the Cast, Underwater Kaiju from Outer Space, Jerry Hates Action, Legion After Dark, Mental Health, Obsessive Cinema, Discourse, Pick Six Movies, The Podcast by the Cemetery. The podcast on Haunted Hill, the Psychosemantic Podcast, Rick Radio, House of Wax, Dude Looks Like the 80s, Rabbit and Red Radio, The Shade Cast, Short Bus Cinema, Toon Drink Minimum Commentaries, The V D Clinic, Who Will Survive Horror Podcasts, and Witch vs. the Doomsday Clock. With such a widespread of shows, there is guaranteed to be a niche for you to fall in love with. Horror, politics, movies, books. sex, music, commentaries, health, video games, kaiju, action, news, comedy, and opinions that would most likely get you killed in some parts of the world. We are proud to bring you some of the best podcasting in the world. Check us out at www.LegionPodcasts.com , iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, YouTube, and any other dark corner of the internet web. Podcast can be found.
Gary Hill: I know we haven't done a death segment in a while, but I'll mention one person in the death segment because it was. He was kind of a big deal to me when I child guy. I used to watch a lot of stuff that he was in, the little stuff he was in, David Paul, One Half of the Barbarian Brothers, had passed away. I mean, these guys were for bodybuilders, but they they started acting in movies in the eighties. Stuff that I watch and stuff from affinity shows one day, like DC Cab they were in. So and um yeah, he was a a Musician, he was an animal lover, he was lots of things, and I remember fondly. And his brother's kind of insane on Facebook, so if you try to talk to him about anything, he just goes kind of goes off a little bit. Um but um I remember them fondly. I seen s I remember some film that they were in where there were truck drivers These are all like family-oriented films, except for, of course, Mr. Diodato's The Barbarians, uh, which stars Richard Lynch, them, and Michael Berryman with an erect horn. Where the voices are terribly overdubbed, but very fun nonetheless. A sword and sandal movie. Um, yeah. Just fun, fun-loving guys in those movies, and I'm glad they live full lives consid considering how young he died. He seemed like he did a lot with his life. Sad thing about his great dame died a couple days later. So now they're together again. Yeah, very sad. Oh my god. But uh, Jamie, we got a lot going on. I'll tell the folks where they could find all your good stuff.
Jamie: Well, uh lately we've spent a lot of time on the Cut to the Chase podcast, Brian and I. Every time we go see a new movie, um, Dan and Lacey just They'll see it too. So we're like, hey, you want to talk about it? We're like, okay, so we'll talk about it. So we've been on there quite a few times.
Gary Hill: And I never I never get to listen because I don't see these new movies. I saw Midsummer like way after you guys reviewed it and I wanted to go back and listen.
Jamie: But oh, you said that was a we had a good time with that review. I did too, Brian.
Gary Hill: I thought it was funny. You know, the movie was funny in parts to me.
Jamie: But oh, yeah, it was. Uh we uh have an X episode for A B C's that I've been sitting on. Work has been really nuts. Well, I don't have that problem right now. So, there are going to be a lot of podcasts coming out. We've got a whole bunch of colossal collections that I'm going to be getting out. We have a Lycan It, we have the ABCs that's coming out, and I'm going to have a whole lot of time to work on that stuff. it's finally going to get done. So that's exciting. Every week, Brian just gave me the thumbs up. He is so anxious. Every week on Wednesday, the Married with Children podcast drops, so you can catch me on there where we talk about Married with Children. And I think I think that's about it. I think that's everything I've been I mean, really, I haven't been the only the regular thing I've been doing lately is married with children. And Other than that, I'm just really behind on other stuff. And then, of course, been popping up on, like I said, Cut to the Chase. If it weren't for those guest spots, no Nobody would have heard me for a long time, probably. Um also was fortunate enough though to be invited to be on Exploding Heads when they they were doing a celebration of women in horror and They ask Lacey and me on to be on the same episode, and that was fun. We had a good time. Talked about some really great movies. Triangle, which I love. The mutilator, which is fun, and I actually don't remember what the third one was. But I and they're not related at all. Because I was sitting here trying to figure out how the hell is a mutilated related to Triangle. It's not. They were they were uh suggested by patrons, so that's why they were on that show. But I'm like, what Doesn't make any sense. But they're no, they were just fun movies. So that's pretty much it. We've just, oh, there's one thing that's exciting. I forgot. If you need some quarantine reading, If you find yourself stuck at home and bored, then I highly recommend that you seek out a copy of Summer of Lovecraft from Dark Regions Press. That is Brian's latest book that. He edited, and he well, he also has a story in it, but and I have a story in that one, and these are all mythos stories that take place in the 60s. So you've got stories about cults, you've got stories about hippies, you've got stories about drugs, you've got a story in the voice of Hunter S. Thompson. You've got my story, which is about basically about reproductive rights. You've got all sorts of things. In there. If it happened in the sixties, it's probably mentioned in one of these stories in this book. And it's honestly not, it has nothing to do with the fact that I'm in it. It just happens to be one of my favorite. anthologies that Brian has ever put together because I love when he does these really cool themed anthologies, and I think this one hit it out of the park. So And you can pick that up at Dark Regions Press or even on Amazon. And I highly recommend it. If you love Lovecraft and or if you have never read Lovecraft and you want to see what the mythos is all about or maybe dip your toes in, You know, give it a shot.
Gary Hill: Cool. Suzanne.
Suzanne: Oh, NFW, we are doing snake movies, which, you know, my favorite. Sub-egoter genre. So that would be a sub-sub-genre. So yeah, we just wrapped up on Anaconda 2 hunting for the blood orchid.
Jamie: And we just watched Anaconda because it's an A movie, you know.
Suzanne: The honestly, Anaconda 2 would have been better if they had removed the snakes and left it just an adventure story.
Jamie: Yeah, I could see that.
Suzanne: If it wasn't for the really shitty Anaconda CGI, it would have been a good movie. But, yeah, I was going through snake movies. We're going to do my favorite Dirk Benedict movie: the movie You Hiss and Not Say. And we just wrapped up on Jaws of Satan as well. So and a random weird thing that I bumped into on Amazon, if you're also quarantine, I read this book like Years ago, and I just reread it again. It's called Something's Alive on the Titanic. Don't get that whole James Cameron shit stuck in your head. This book was published, I think, in like 1992 by this man named Robert Sterling. So, of course, I've got that local thing with Rod Serling. I did not even realize that Robert was his older brother. who wrote a very interesting story about people going to try to explore and exploit the Titanic. Excellent supernatural novel, well written, fun as hell, really creepy at points. So do yourself a favor and check out this little book. Did they find the heart of the ocean? Oh, they found something worse.
Jamie: That actually sounds very interesting. I would like to check that out.
Suzanne: It's I promise you, it is really good, and I I'm harsh. I've read a couple of really good books. Now I can't find anything to read to save my life.
Jamie: Oh, well, you what what I've heard is really good? It's this book called Summer of Lovecraft.
Suzanne: I actually just pulled it up on my Kindle. So you know what? I think I know what I'm going to be reading later.
Jamie: Oh, sweet. Well, I would be interested to to I would be interested to see what you think, especially since You are very opinionated, but I like that because you don't pull any punches. And when it comes to something like that, I like honesty. So I'll be interested to hear what you think. And I can't wait to hear The show on Jaws of Satan because that movie, oh my god, oh my god, a hoot.
Suzanne: I went through hell because it went out of print from Shout Factory, and I scoured the ends of eBay and Amazon trying to find a cop a reasonably priced copy of it. Because it is it is oh my God, I actually went off on a tangent throwing out snake facts. So, yeah, I went a little crazy there.
Jamie: Well, that'll be a fun, that'll be a fun listen for me then.
Gary Hill: Yeah, me. This show, Burning for Springwood, the two Drake Venom commentaries could all be found on LegionPodcasts.com with all the other great Legion shows as well. Yeah, I I have um made this master list of shows. I think I have 67 in total. Let me let me look scroll down right now. I'll tell you what we're doing next. I have no idea what that's going to be though. But there's 67 to choose from right now, which I'm going to circulate to different podcasters to see if they want to come on the show. Make make it real exciting, y'all, I I I'm I'm kind of proud of this list actually. So I hope my co-hosts are proud of it too. He's gonna get excited about it too. Um, but yeah, that's happening. And, um, Fleas and Flicks Charity Auction Still waiting for a couple things to come in. Yeah, I decided to go after a couple more things before the convention drought comes through because it's going to happen. There have been postponing conventions. I think he's postponed like four today. I'll be making out too many of those. I really don't go until August anyway, so I'm sorry for the folks who are missing theirs. I know Alex and Jerry V How do you spell Jerry? How do you pronounce Jerry's last name? Not not Harry, Jerry V with the with the V. Vitetta? Vitetta. They were supposed to go to Monstermania this weekend.
Jamie: Yeah.
Gary Hill: Fucking Corona. Fucking shit up. See?
Jamie: Yeah, it was so sad. Alex was so excited. He already had his podcast lined up that he was going to listen to on the trip. To Monstromania, and I'm talking like the night before he was planning to leave. And then it came through that it was canceled, and it just, oh, it just broke my heart. for him, you know, 'cause he was so excited.
Gary Hill: Oh, I forgot. I'm on uh now on the Hard to Kill podcast with with with Alex and Nudie. So there's that. That's on the Horophilia network. Sorry I didn't mention that, but um we talked about Alex and it came out now, see.
Jamie: Wait, what's that? I haven't heard of that. Why haven't I heard of that?
Gary Hill: That is an Action Commentary Podcast.
Jamie: What? No one has told me about this.
Gary Hill: The last one we did was Uncommon Valor. The next one that we're gonna do was Tango and Cash.
Jamie: Oh, wait, no, no, I take that back. I do remember I do remember something about that. Never mind. I've had a lot going on, so things go in and out of my head sometimes. You're right.
Suzanne: I'm going through the master list now and I'm like, wow, there are a bunch of moves. There are some really good ones here.
Gary Hill: Cool. I'm glad you approve. But that's about for this one. I'm tired, y'all. But this has been Cinema Beef Podcast, where if you got beef, we've got the grinder. See y'all next time.