This week we're speaking to Uri Bram, a publisher at The Browser, which is literally the number one curation based newsletter on the internet today. In this episode we'll cover some juicy topics such as why The Browser moved from Substack over to Ghost, how they were able still be around after 10 years, their pricing plans, and so much more
- If your newsletter is a curation based newsletter, you should be able to understand within the first sentence if it's going to be a good article to include.
- The internet needs more curators, not more writers.
- It was much harder to start a paid newsletter 10 years ago. It's never been easier to start today.
- It doesn't make sense to roll your own tech when someone else is providing it already.
- Once you've hit a certain revenue number, it simply doesn't make sense to stick with the platform.
- Don't simply choose one platform and use that for the life of your newsletter. It is OK and encouraged to switch to the right provider when it's time.
- The relationship between the publisher and the reader is very important. Newsletters enable you to have a more intimate connection with your readers.
- Newsletters can serve the reader with a great reminder of why they are still subscribed to you.
- The good newsletters will make it, the bad ones won't. Dedicate yourself to the craft if you want to make it.
- Even if the newsletter market is oversaturated now, good newsletters will have a following and will stand out from the crown.
- Subscription newsletter pricing is more of an art and a feeling versus a hard science. Entertainment based newsletters are more price-sensitive compared to newsletters with more actionable business advice.
- The value of digital products is still in its infancy. What's more valuable: a $5 cup of coffee or a month's worth of amazing curated content? Clearly the curated content. As consumers, we're still not seeing that value when it's a clear winner.
- Less for more is going to take a while to seep into people's minds.
- Most people that are succeeding in newsletters have just been doing it for a very long time. Keep it up, be consistent, never give up, and you will reach success.
What is Newsletter Crew?
A podcast focused on helping you become a more successful newsletter creator. Every week we interview a newsletter creator and dive deep into their newsletter based business to extract actionable insights for our very own newsletters.