Today we answer a listener question about how you an evaluate the health of a software team. I outline a list of questions you can use to grade a team & work out what an be improved.
Questions I use to measure the health of a development team:
- Does the team use source control?
- Is code peer reviewed?
- Can you make a build in 1 step?
- Do you make a build every time a change is merged?
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code?
- Do you write tests to verify a bug before fixing the bug?
- Is the code coverage greater than 80%?
- Do you have an issue tracking system?
- Does your team have the best tools?
- Do you have automated unit, integration and system tests?
- Are the unit tests automatically run before a change is merged?
- Are the integration and systems tests automatically run before you deploy/release?
- Do you deploy/ship the artefacts that were tested?
- Do you have a prioritised record of your technical debt?
What is 6 Minute Software Development?
Welcome to 6 Minute Software Development. If you are a software developer or tech leader looking for quick tactics on how to improve your day-to-day job performance, this is the podcast for you. New episodes every Wednesday.