True Detective: I was thinking about that time when you were nine, when you were skating and you fell through the ice, you know.
Duncan: I, um, I don't really remember a lot of that, so you know all I do.
True Detective: I wake up dreaming of it sometimes. One second you were there, I turned around and boom, you're gone Under the ice. The current took you. I had to run out ahead of you and try to break through with an ice axe. I kept hacking until I got through and then I pulled you out. Then, on the way to the hospital, I knew I had to keep you awake, just keep you awake. I felt like we were driving. For days I was Family stuff, right Fucking family. Drop it, duncan and bo come correct.
Bo: It's about time people started acknowledging.
Duncan: I think there's a bit 10 people started peeing Um as far as yeah, I hadn't gone that far with it yet.
Bo: To be honest, I wasn't looking to monetize admiration just yet, but you're right. Here's what we Duncan, here's what we need to do.
True Detective: We need to do a masterworks class Head talk. Yeah.
Bo: Something that people gotta pay for, you know, put it behind a paywall. Maybe we just only fancy this shit.
Duncan: How you lesson. It could be the way forward.
Bo: Can I ask you a serious but stupid question? I genuinely don't know the answer to it.
Duncan: Yes, please, by all means, ask me a serious question.
Bo: What is sex? No, what do I? Do you have to be fucking to be on OnlyFans?
Duncan: No.
Bo: Okay, because that's the only connotation.
Duncan: I hear it in no, so OnlyFans, like inherently, has become the way that all things on line and press and media go. Inevitably they go towards sex because you know that's what our brain thinks of like 90% of the time. But no, originally I think it was just for a way for specific people to own control of how they, how their fans, interacted with them, and I think that's the original premise for it. But I think, very, very quickly, adelaide entertainers were like hmm, like I could use this, there are like musicians, actors and actresses, um, authors, I think, have OnlyFans where it's like like almost like a discord thing and that is like they're like this is just a simple P and the tier gets them access to Q&As, like, etc. Etc. I don't think those people make nearly as much money as those that are very attractive and get their breasts out.
Bo: But yeah. So is it just being naked, or can you fog?
Duncan: Can you go that far?
Bo: I believe that you can go full penny on it, okay, because see, to me that makes a ton of sense.
Duncan: And certain porn stars do. And the only reason I know this is because I was listening to a podcast recently where a porn star was interviewed about, you know, myth, myth-busting in the industry, how they got into, etc. Etc. Longevity and stuff, and basically what they were saying is as it stands just now, it's kind of never been a better time to be a porn star, in that you can sign with a production company, you can sign with an agency, you can do all those movies and make like money for doing those movies, and then you can have this complete side hustle that allows people to see behind the scenes of basically what happens. But then, moreover, on top of that, you can get like connections between other adult entertainers that are also on OnlyFans, so they can kind of cross the stream, so to speak, of their things. So you pay like a higher premium for them having sex with people that they've always wanted to, you know, almost pair up dream matches and stuff like that. So they make a fortune from it, which is kind of great, because that industry in particular is only in the last what 10, 15 years kind of started to like get its act together in terms of better pay, better representation, you know and like more transparency on the studios that actually do what they need to do and given those people the opportunity to actually take control of how they are perceived, consumed, etc.
Bo: online is a huge plus bonus and obviously the pandemic helped Sure yeah, well, and I think there's something immediately satisfying and I don't mean just the sexual way, but like there's something about like if you are really into a guy or girl and are like I just want to see them, fuck, I don't care about all this other stuff, I just want to see them, you know, jerking it or rubbing it or Remove the story, do whatever.
Duncan: Yeah, basically the modern this is now the modern equivalent of phone sex, telephone sex people used to phone into like adult entertaining channels that would run at night and it was basically someone on a cam and they would take calls and do certain things. So as basal to that, they've just moved it to the internet and monetized the fuck out of it.
Bo: Yeah, like last summer I kind of went down a weird rabbit hole of like that kind of thing on Twitch. Like I wasn't subscribing to a bunch of girls in pools and stuff, but I did look at a bunch of channels because I was like, is this really all it is? And it kind of is, but, like you said, it's sort of phone sex, because it's like people in chat being like hey, I did this many likes or I did this many referrals or whatever the fuck.
Duncan: And so now you've got a bunch of names on my list, yeah, so, and I think there's you're talking about instant gratification in terms of if they're watching someone have sex, I play with them, whatever, and then instantly that person then says their name. You know what I mean. That's like it's essentially breaking the kind of fourth wall for them. So it's not quite you and the fantasy, but it might as well be because they've just so all that stuff. I think it's. And the thing is they build like from what was said in that interview like they build communities around it so that they're being paid, yes, and all the rest, but it's not a case of their view that, purely as a source of income, those that are paying the money on is actually they build their own community because they understand that's their fan base and the more engagement they have with their fan base, the more their next video that comes out or the next production they do gets a lot of buzz online. It boosts their online presence through Instagram and Twitter, which you wouldn't think would need to be a thing for adult entertainers. But it is like the higher the profile, the more likely they are they're going to get better offers, etc. More interest, more digital presence online and all the rest. So it kind of all goes hand in hand. But they have whole production. Like the woman that was being interviewed says that she hires just very, very, very well. I think it was like 90 grand a month is what she earns just off only fans, and that's enough to employ her. I think it's her little sister to do all her online presence for a full time. So our sister does all her social media, so she employs her from that money and she has a team of two people that she films, that she trusts, who do all the like, say, decoration filming for all her scenes and all the rest. So she actually is in a weird way she's providing jobs.
Bo: So yeah, yeah, I mean you know. Look, I think you and I are both of the mind that, like you know, sex workers are certainly providing a service and it's legitimate.
Duncan: Oh God, yes, yeah, yeah yeah.
Bo: So yeah, I'm kind of glad that in a weird way it's shaken out like this, because that way they're protected too and it's not, like you know, going out to meet some high roller like for five grand a night, like I'm gonna fuck this porn star.
Duncan: Yeah, where there's five grand like yeah, and there's no protection over that, you know, like all the rest, it's all secure and I think that's kind of awesome.
Bo: Yeah, yeah, that seems real smart. By the way, this is Duncan and Bo.
Duncan: come correct If you hadn't noticed Emphasis on the cum.
Bo: Yeah, Duncan and Bo correct. That's how it sounds when I work at something it's supposed to be that noise. Yeah, yeah, I think it's probably not, probably not.
Duncan: It means? It means it's like a cartoon spittin.
Bo: Wow, it's got velocity. That's what I like about it.
Duncan: It's, I mean, really really quick, I was going more for the aim, but like, yeah, but it also works as well.
Bo: Yeah, oh look, I'm a terrible aim at anything I do, duncan. Consistently bad, consistently bad aim, doesn't matter, doesn't matter in what context, but yeah, so here we are. We are on the penultimate episode.
Duncan: In fact, we were just talking about how Neither one of us has got the episode 6 yet and the internet hasn't spoiled it, which I will give them. There's a lot of people on the internet that didn't like it, but then there's a lot of people just in general have not liked this season, but like according to the critics. The critics think this thing lands strong and, moreover, boran's thought, moreover than that the numbers were so good for this season that HBO opened that checkbook and said to Issa Lopez, do you want to do a season 5? And she has said yes, and she will be returning season 5, making that bank. And I'll tell you right now that makes DBCC very fucking happy.
Bo: Yeah, we are definitely pro Issa Lopez around these parts.
Duncan: She's just a ton of articles coming out right now about Nick Pizzalato and his mini Instagram rant he had when the thing finished, about how they destroyed everything, blah, blah, blah. And there's just loads of articles coming out just saying, if you'd forgotten, I know he was away for a little while, but Nick Pizzalato kinda a dick, and then this article was going back over. Well, he said this at this point. He was this about this. So, yeah, he's not happy that this season did much better numbers than any of the seasons he was in charge of when he was at HBO.
Bo: Yeah, well, I mean, look, it was a great cast and you know Issa Lopez is a great director and it's really moody and it had people dealing with the first season did which was speculating and talking about it, and you know that's a different medium.
Duncan: Now that's the thing Like when True Detective came out, we hadn't fully really jumped on. Hbo has its own channel online. You know 2013,. There wasn't really anything like that out with your Netflix in terms of dedicated streaming sites, and now we have that. So audiences can, you know, interact with things either on your conventional television or check out on their streaming channel on their computer or whatever. However, they're consuming that, which is going to help the numbers. But the biggest thing is like who is executive producer of True Detective season four? Nick Pizzalato. So he's shooting himself. If I worked for HBO, why would I ever hire this guy to do anything for me again in terms of running a show or pitching a show or anything, when he is basically verbally trying to massacre the thing that just did record numbers on our channel? And you never burn the bridge, even when you get to the other side of it, because you may have to cross it.
Bo: Right, you're right. Right, I mean that feels like a bear, I like. I know he's not a young man, but that feels like a young man's move of, just like yeah fuck him. And it's like no man. There's a way to be political about this, where you don't shut that door, yeah, right. Right, like, even if he didn't like the season, he's still getting that paycheck. And like, don't be a hypocrite. If that's how he feels about it, make sure you're returning the checks.
Duncan: Even David Fincher went back to work with the film studio that destroyed his love of making he's very first movie, alien 3. He went back and worked with him 20 years later, even after he said he would never work with that studio again, he would never fuck it like he was the most miserable experience. What is his name off that movie? Et cetera, et cetera. He did go back 20 years later. So, like it's not, there's only so many places you can eat. So you know, and I just don't, I just don't get. But yes, both myself and Bo have been champing it a bit to get into the finale. Can't believe it's almost here. But what we were saying before we hit record was after seeing this episode I'm just going to flex. We have been right on so many of the things revealed from almost episode one or two. A lot of it we've hit square on the head. And yeah, I mean I'm just going to say we've still to see the ending. More people still on the table.
Bo: Absolutely a hundred percent. They are as well as as crap. People who would? Live in tunnels under the ground, Bo there is a callback I've got for this episode, as a matter of fact, that I was really happy.
Duncan: Don't call it a callback.
Bo: Yeah, I've been here for years, baby Anyway so let's talk about some movies, good and bad. If you don't mind, I want to kick us off with a good. Please do, just because I watched it last night and I'm still I'm still high on it, duncan still feeling the vibe. I rewatched Darkman. Oh, that man is so much fun, dude, it is such a good time and it's it's such a great period of rainy where he still got the evil dead running through the veins, yep, and run him through my veins, I can't get him out. But at the same time you can see the glimmers of, you know, spider-man and all the stuff that came after. Yeah, and it's, it's a really nice interstitial kind of film for him, where it's still just grungy and B movie as fuck, but it it has all the trappings of the big budget stuff that he would go on to do and, yeah, I had so much fun with it. It's kind of mean spirited and huge. I mean, look, if you cannot enjoy Liam Neeson prancing around in that movie when he's like coming to get the freak and you're just like man. You are going for it.
Duncan: I love Liam.
Bo: Neeson, you rarely see you.
Duncan: It is full Gonzo Liam Neeson and I fucking love it. Within a couple of years of making this movie. He plays Rob Roy McGregor in the movie of Rob Roy and it is the most sobering portrayal of a Scotsman you will ever see. And before he's, he's like fucking. He's. He's fucking breaks a guy's fingers at a carnival to get a teddy bear.
Bo: It's man, that scene is so goddamn good it's because it almost has like a creep show level of like red backgrounds and oh it's still on. I still on man. I love that movie. It is so good. I mean it's completely not a perfect movie, like it's got all kinds of flaws, but there's just so much spirit to it. And the moment when the Oldsmobile shows up with the Coen Brothers driving it. I'm like, yeah, you know, it's just it's such a movie, nerd kind of movie. I think I really dig it. It's so good, so that's my good. I mean, you can go on and on about Darkman if you want, but everybody's seen it. I just my enthusiasm was overflowing and I could not resist giving it that shout out.
Duncan: My good. My good is one that I'd seen before, but I watched recently on a workstrip and it filled up a very easy one two and three quarter hours and it reminded me why. Whether you like him or you, load them, and we spoke about them recently, but there is absolutely no dispute that Quentin Tarantino reign supreme above everyone. I watch once upon a time in Hollywood. Oh and it is Well. That's maybe my seventh time seeing that movie now and it is just aging like a fine wine.
Bo: Yeah, that is rapidly climbing the list for me of my favorite.
Duncan: Tarantino film. I think it might now be my favorite Tarantino movie.
Bo: It's real goddamn good, I mean it much like the holdovers when I was describing that movie to you have like settling into like an old comforter of a movie, and that's how I feel when I watch once upon a time in Hollywood. Yeah just like, oh, let me just let this movie just wash over me. And, you know, the only time that I even perk up from that days of good moviemaking is the scene when Brad Pitt is climbing the roof and I'm just like don't fuck yourself like you can. How do you look that good in your 73 years, jesus Christ?
Duncan: I think we mentioned it when we first look at it as well. It's maybe the only movie where the filmmaker can have the audacity to have a five minute scene of feeding a dog and you just roll with it. You're like I could watch him. I could watch him watch the dishes.
Bo: Yeah, it's one of my favorite scenes in the movie. It really is. I mean, there's that the bit about him kind of controlling the dog, which pays off later. Yeah, but it's just watching handsome ass Brad Pitt smoking a cigarette and feeding his sloppy ass dog and like, yes, I wish this was my life. I wish I could just come home and this is what was happening.
Duncan: Yeah, it's absolutely excellent front to back, so that that was my good.
Bo: I'm the devil and I'm here to devil shit or something, it's he really does it like in this.
Duncan: I remember like all the criticism which seemed to miss a point in the movie about the way he changed history at the end and all the rest. And they missed the point that what he's doing is he's declawing a thing that like still looks very large over America. It was like that. That was that's what destroyed quote unquote the summer of love. That was. That was the end of it. Like the free love movement died the day that Sharon Tate died and he de-claws it by making them fucking imbeciles, like just absolute fucking morons. And he does it like the same way and then glorious bastards. He makes the Nazis like not withstanding Christopher's, but he makes like a Hitler and all that just fucking idiots. So, yeah, it's really. Yeah, it's really really good and it's a, it's a fairy tale. The whole point is the whole point.
Bo: Yeah, like movies are magic and fairy tales and this is a fairy tale version of that and where the good guys win and everybody like it's. It's his most upbeat, optimistic movie that he's fucking done, and maybe that's when people bristle out there like I wanted everyone to die. You know where's Jennifer Jason Lee murdering everyone, but yeah, so my bad Look again. This will come as a surprise to no one who's ever heard me on a show ever. I don't need your pity. Go on bull.
True Detective: But I don't need your pity.
Duncan: Go on bull, but I like a good creature feature and.
Bo: I even like a bad creature feature on occasion and I somehow or another, I had never gotten around to the sequel to Blackwater, the killer crocodile movie called Blackwater Abyss.
True Detective: Yeah, no, it's really not like all.
Duncan: And okay but the it's frustrating.
Bo: It's frustratingly dumb, like really Right in all the characters, like all the shit about.
Duncan: Like you know, I'm pregnant.
Bo: Oh, but I forgot. We're having a fight. Who?
Duncan: gives a fuck like deal with this shit later.
Bo: Wait till you get home. Precipes Donna. God damn it Donna.
Duncan: Precipes Um.
Bo: So, um yeah, that was real stupid. But the reason to bring it up is just to do a shout out for a much better crocodile movie, which is Greg McLean's Rogue, which is a great killer project, great movie, yeah, like doesn't we don't have to deal with a bunch of who fuck to who's having a fair bullshit. It is just crocodile V people and crocodile wins a lot. And that's what I want out of those movies Like why did they always screw up the recipe of? Like well, we've got to make people care about the characters. No, I don't care about the characters. All I need to know is why they're there, and then seeing them struggle will make me like them. So, anyway, that's my bad, but also a good, hidden inside like a little, a little new get center of my bad. What? What's your bad?
Duncan: Um, so I am finally got into something. I have a shutter subscription, right, and I am absolutely fucking terrible at using my shutter subscription. What happens is I forget I have it, and then there's a movie that gets a bit of traction and then, like that, I should. I still have my. Oh, I still have my oh, I should go and check it out. I somehow completely missed the fact that VHS 85 came out last year. Oh, yeah. Now, I didn't hate VHS. What was it? Ninety, nine or whatever. It was 94. I thought it was 99 because it like it's set during Y2.
True Detective: OK, one of them is I'm sorry.
Duncan: Right.
True Detective: Sorry, yeah, the other yeah, yeah who carried you.
Duncan: It's just like there's there's like 30 of these movies by now, so yeah, I remember kind of thinking it wasn't there, was it like one or two segments that were just like inherently shit, but all of them have that. But there was a couple that I thought were pretty cool, including the one that the one that was set in hell. Oh yeah, the one that was directed by the dude that did the found footage movie. That was fucking great.
Bo: Yeah, I can't think of the name. It's not Deadstream, but something like that.
Duncan: Deadstream is. Deadstream, deadstream, yeah, so the the guy did it, so that was really good and I want to see there was Was an internet based one, or whatever. It was Like like a lot of it was good, right, but not all of it. There was a vampire one that I really liked and an interest was throw away, and so I'd somehow completely Missed the fact that if I had come out and David Brugner did one I like David Brugner as a director Scott Derrickson did one I like Scott Derrickson I was like I'm going to check this out. Piece of shit Front to back, piece of shit, just I don't know, not good, no, it's not. And I think the problem was that the tone is all the same throughout it and the tone is pretty shay and like there wasn't any that I necessarily felt Try to do something substantially different from any of the others. Like they all seem to kind of. The problem is they all end kind of the same way, which is a trope with the VHS movies, is they all kind of? They're all kind of trying to make Many found footage movies and they all end the tiresome found food sort of way. And yeah, it was a slog. I felt like I was watching it for like in between recordings here with you, like a fellow in on for days, and I think there's another one coming. I think like cause you're there now. I essentially think own VHS, the rights that they can just turn them out every year now and I don't think that's necessarily a great idea.
Bo: I think it's bloody disgusting. Who owns it and you've got to deal with. Yeah, I see.
Duncan: Even worse. Oh, at this point, like just I just put it to bed, I think we've had enough. Yeah, that's got it.
Bo: It feels like the Scott Derrickson was really the the thing in it. I mean it's the longest by far and feels like an actual short film.
Duncan: Yes, and I like one, but and principle has a cool idea, yeah, and I just think it. I think I isn't aided by the fact that it's not really got enough time or money to flesh it out in any fully meaningful way and it cuts a lot of corners. And then I'm just used to. To me, scott Derrickson is just a bigger director than that now and it's kind of great that he wants to give something back and do something short form. But that did command huge budgets now, so he should be off commanding huge budgets. Blackphone was a great fucking movie, you know. I mean I like that. That's what he did prior to this and I can't equate the two, because one is he very well made like, really well acted, really well put together adaptation of a Joe Hill novel, and this is beneath him. I won't say that we're getting a black phone to. I don't know how that works, except it made a lot of money and it's just a bad idea and I probably won't enjoy it. But yeah, it was really bad. I didn't like it at all.
Bo: Yeah, yeah, that's a real crap outing that VR one is especially like. Why are we even wasting our time with any of this Like?
Duncan: yeah, the VR one is just basically an exercise and like can I kick you in the testicles again please? Oh, excellent.
Bo: Yeah, like yeah, right, yes, there's a guy in the VR, the computer oh my God, computers are aware of us Like. This is the tiredest ass shit.
Duncan: Next to be making movies about bad AI. Oh, I mean, all those positive movies on AI at the moment are just really just the AI narrative is being skewed.
Bo: Just so stupid. Anyway, all right, so let's get into this episode, Duncan. Yeah we got a lot of material to cover here.
Duncan: There's tons of things being tied up, and then there's a lot of things being kind of set up for this final episode.
Bo: Yeah, yeah, so we open on like where we left it last time was at the place where we see Navarro coming out of here, since like Total Clif anger.
Duncan: What the fuck is going on with the front?
Bo: Yeah and, and that is largely never discussed- no, because we we jump forward six days.
Duncan: Yeah, it's like that. No, so I don't know. I'm kind of hoping, I'm in two thoughts with us. I'm kind of hoping that in episode six we fill in some of the blanks there. But then I also think I, if it was super important, they would have covered it in episode six, even if it was a callback to a previous conversation. And maybe it's just not that important, like because our ear, ear drums were bleeding but they appear to be fine now.
Bo: So yeah, and you know, and we know that there are degrees of this, because of something we'll get to later, but so we'll put a pin in that. But so that's not where we open, though we open on the cremation of Julia, oh fuck's sake yeah. And, as she is being like, burned, placed in this rock machine to you know, turn it all into dust and and put it in her own and then just hand it over to Navarro who, like I said, you know, seems totally fine at this point. And the the most brutal moment of this for me is when the woman says careful with that, it's hot.
Duncan: Yeah.
Bo: It's like, oh, what in the fuck?
Duncan: Yeah, Couldn't do anything to kill it. You know, like blast freeze or something. Before we hand it over we had to handle overstile smoldering.
Bo: Awesome and her kind of like blowing on a little bit was a little in portaste, I thought. Oh, she said and I was like oh, that seems heartless really.
Duncan: She was wearing a pepper pink oven mitts. I mean that was pretty bad for yeah yeah.
Bo: Then she drops it. Oops, oh, but it's sealed up, it's fine.
Duncan: Yeah, hicks it bending over and the giant dent in the side of the metal.
Bo: I'll give you 10 bucks off On our scratched and dent sales before she offers a 10 bucks.
Duncan: That almost never happens.
Bo: Don't tell anyone. You were here, ok, so we're going to help.
Duncan: We're going to help.
Bo: Danvers, meanwhile, is at the hospital where you know they've brought Otis highs, and she's told by the nurse like hey, you can't talk to him for more than about 10 minutes because he's detoxing. Yeah because he likes to write the pony, and so we do get an interview, though it's Danvers talking to Otis and it's like you know, tell me about Mr Clark, dr Lector, and he, he's like I didn't, I didn't really know Clark, and but Clark came to him because he had survived whatever happened, right, and we're going to get into that, the night country shit. But he says Clark wants to know how he survived and he's like, well, how did you survive, dr Lector?
True Detective: And he's like, do you?
Bo: think I did like my eyes.
True Detective: Oh, I know.
Duncan: Get a wash case with the rose. His eyes are fucking white. He's like his face is all narrow.
Bo: These nurses have gone to shit. Yeah, yeah.
Duncan: I'm doing fine, like this guy here Shagger Shagger's doing fine right now.
Bo: You know God's been a real pal to me. He threw a truck. Sorry, We've got a. We've got a couple of opportunities to do some dead zone riffs when you while they're remaking it.
Duncan: If you've been following the news today, I saw that.
Bo: So who's directing? And then we did we did.
Duncan: We do the studio of options for a remake of the dead zone and the remake of American cycle, which are two bizarre titles to be picking, and that's only to the venim's. So I guess it's dead zone makes sense to me because of the political climate. I think there's loads you can do there, or that one American cycle less so because I imagine if they're redoing that, it's still set in the 80s, like Brett Nellis has like a tight grip on that. You're going to have to do that and it's always going to be compared to Christian Bale and I'm sorry, christian Bale is Patrick Bateman. Having read the book, christian Bale is Patrick Bateman and I don't care who you put in that role, it ain't going to work. Ain't going to work.
Bo: What if they bring him back for it? He's just older.
Duncan: So I would watch that and he'll never do it. I do. You know what, what, what happens if they bring what who's who's? The second one again, I forgot one. Yeah, what me? I couldn't see Stalker. She could come back, although she did kill Bill Shatner, so he won't be coming back.
Bo: No, it's going to be a long, long time.
True Detective: But yeah, that's a good opportunity.
Duncan: He's about this is going to break.
Bo: Yeah, very pointedly. But yeah, and so Danvers is like tell me about the night country, doctor Lector, and he's like what I don't know what you're talking about I was fucking stowed out of my balls. And she says, well, you were saying something. She's awake, yeah, and he's. He's like, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's a Clark had said that to me and you know, danvers has the flashback of her kid and I've had a really interesting theory about the, the visions that people are having. Oh yeah, Is it because of the toxins?
Duncan: That's what I've been reading. Could it? Could it be?
Bo: I had that. I literally have not read this.
Duncan: Yeah.
Bo: This has been my like the thing about like oh, people see dead people around here. It's like, oh well, the water Right.
Duncan: Yeah, the water is bad. That's, you know, like your body having a weird side effect and trying to work itself through. That way, when you eat some really bad, like fucking Indian food or something, and you're you're you. Basically you see things you're not supposed to see because your stomach is is ruined and your brain is trying to put you in some sort of meditative happy place, so you don't have to go through the pain that your body is now right. That was the first one. The second thing that I read, which I instantly disproved within three seconds of just I don't know, having watched the show, is that Rose isn't real. She's a ghost, because only Navarro has actually spoken to her.
Bo: Back to me, but that's I thought about that earlier, but that's not the case.
Duncan: It can't be. And you want to know why it can't be? Because, yeah, she called in the bodies and it was the first thing I like when I read. It was like that. But she called in the bodies. So I just physically went back to the first episode and, yeah, she called in the bodies, right, yeah, so I just think people are reaching Bo, they're reaching, they're not, they're not grounded in their investigation like we are, and we will prove it as we review this episode and call it all the things that we got right from the start yes.
Bo: I mean, look, we are scientists, if nothing else, science. So he eventually tells the story of like why Clark wanted to find him in the first place, how he got hurt. And there it was. They were fucking around in the ice caves. Yes, he had a bunch of, you know, other men and there was a collapse and so some men were trapped inside, heist and a bunch of other dudes go for help. But as they're leaving, the way he puts it is like, you know, we heard him moan and everybody started to go towards it and I chased after him. And then she's like and then what happened, dr Lector? And just on the edge of her seat, quit pro quo, dr Lector, what happened to you after the ice cave? And and he's like oh, fucking no, he's like. I woke up and my eyes were fucked up, my ears are jacked. And she's like are you kidding me? And then she literally looked at the camera and was like are you serious?
Duncan: This is in the back, go, look that. Trust the process.
Bo: Yeah, and so she shows him this map of the area and he's like yeah, the cave's entrance is here, but you can't go down there because of how, how thin the ice is and what could happen, duncan, the ice is going to break Right. And so she she says, well, don't worry about that, dr Lector, because you're coming with me.
Duncan: And he's like what?
Bo: Well, the only way I'm coming with you is if I get well well, we went right and she's like I don't understand what that means. Get my medicine, we medicine, yeah Ha keep going, keep going, gank. Clean burning propane. Yes and yeah, I have that written into my notes, by the way, of course you do. So Navarro is waiting in the truck and Danvers gets in and is like, hey, we're good to go to the entrance of this place. I've got it on the map. And she's like are you up for it? Dr Lector and Navarro is like yeah, I'm good. And she looks back and Danvers looks back and in the backseat, like, with the seatbelt buckled over, it is the urn, yeah, and she goes. Do you want to talk about it? Dr Lector and Navarro is like nah, and she's like all right, and then they just go. But it's a nice moment where it's like, if you want to talk about this weekend, she's just like nah, it's not worth it right now.
Duncan: Let's just move on. She is. She is putting a lot of personal shit on hold to she solves this case, yeah, and then it's going to come crashing down.
Bo: Oh yeah, she is going to need some time off. So Pete gets to kick the fuck out in the next scene and that's really all that happens. But he gets kicked the fuck out Like.
Duncan: To be honest, the previous conversation we saw, which was apparently six days ago, he basically said to his wife like you blame me for having a kid and tying you down to this life, which I mean that's never. I'll be honest, that's never. That's never a great thing to say to your wife, who is desperately trying to sleep.
Bo: Right, right, right yeah, let me go after the very nature of your existence right now. Yeah, not great, not great pillow talk. Um, so, anyway, back to the truck where, uh, Danvers and Navarro are barreling across the frozen tundra and Navarro points out like that, all the caves are in Silver Skyland. And then after that we have another kind of personal moment where she's like, hey, I meant to ask how's Leah doing? And uh, she's like she's just doing this to piss me off, dr Lecter. And she's like, well, yeah, but you know that there's something wrong with the water. And she gets defensive in a way where she's like I know, I know, you know where. She's like, I understand how bad this is, but again, we've talked about this, right?
Duncan: Yeah, she's. She is following any key footsteps, and everything Danvers tries to do is just pushing her further along that way.
Bo: Yeah, there's a. Leah has a surprisingly good evaluation of her in this episode that we'll get to but I really like it.
Duncan: Leah. Like the roles are like. Leah has the adults part in the conversation between the two later on. Yes, and you're just like what, like how, how, yeah.
Bo: Um so anyway. So they're going to uh the entrance of the ice caves.
True Detective: They're on their way.
Bo: Meanwhile, speaking of Leah, cut to her with her girlfriend.
True Detective: Yeah.
Bo: Uh, as they are at a protest and she's doing like the, the streak of black across the mouth and they're grabbing picket signs and they are. They're ready to do an old fashioned protest, Duncan.
Duncan: Yep.
Bo: Um, so then we check back in with Denver, danvers and Navarro, who make it to the entrance of this cave only to find that it has been completely covered over. Yeah.
Duncan: And like the people in the town of Ennis, miles away, can hear Navarro's reaction where she's like fuck, she loses it on the ice man.
Bo: It's yeah, it is truly one for the ages. She lets it go in a borrow like storms, back to the truck, all pissed off and it's just you know. You know this is just their luck, right, Like every, every time they get a lead, it gets shut down.
Duncan: I mean, it does look like it's been deliberately closed.
Bo: Oh, absolutely they. They say like it looks like it's been blown, yeah, so then John Hawks in a really nice month. This whole sequence, I think, is really good where John Hawks, who previously in one of the episodes they Pete, and I think it's being Danvers are talking about how it's Pete and Leah.
Duncan: Okay, pete and Leah, about different their parents where before them.
Bo: Right, right, right, right, right Right. And Pete's talking about how he's never heard his dad play music. And sure enough, you know, because he's kicked out and he's got his bags packed. He is going to his dad's house and he stops outside because he hears him playing and he just stops and listens to him play this incredibly depressing song.
Duncan: That's the most depressing song. This might be why he never made it as a musician, right.
Bo: Every time you listen to one of his songs, you were like I can't listen to any more.
Duncan: I know anything? Do you know anything about Pete?
Bo: Yeah, of course the God has forsaken me Right, like the opening line is like there is no God in the world. You're like, wow, this was that written by Tom Waits. There is no God in this old town.
Duncan: Oh man, yeah, but like he's, he's, he's playing that and Pete stands outside and kind of takes it in and listens to his dad. This song is interspersed, Like it's played over the background of, basically like how fucked Ennis is as a place. Like the disparity of what is going on in this town on this night is absolutely incredible. But we see lots of stuff to do with the protests specifically. But yeah, it's just like it's. It's miserable and like take it from, if you take it from like John Hawks point of view. He literally has his mail order bride, which we find out may have been financed for from hush money, I mean that's. He says I have none of that money anymore. And it makes you wonder how long's that hustle being going with that mail order bride and how much money is he giving away to her. Like was he spending his money on an Ennis Nothing?
Bo: Right, right. Yeah, I mean it's booze and you know so, like all this, blood money.
Duncan: All this and we'll touch on what the blood money's actually for, but all this blood money is essentially went on someone who has catfished him.
Bo: Right.
Duncan: Yeah, I'd be singing the blues as well.
Bo: Well, of course, of course. Yeah, he has not had it well lately and we also, as you said there, there's some stuff with the protests going on where we see the security and the protesters start to get into it a little bit and the cops are on the way and after the after Hawks gets done playing, pete calls him from outside and is like hey, I just want to let you know, like Kayla kicked me out and it looks weirdly pleased about that as well, as if to my son's in misery with me or you know like you're having it, because he smiles when he says it in a weird sort of way.
Duncan: Oh, that's terrible, oh no.
Bo: Yeah, and I mean I think there's a little bit of misery loves company and I think he's lonely, you know, and if it means that he might be getting some company, then you know all the better. But yeah, pete lies to him and is like hey, I'm five minutes away. Do you mind if I say your place?
Duncan: Yeah, I say I said what he's been, what he's up to, and he says he's been working on his truck.
Bo: Yeah yeah, it doesn't even admit he was playing his guitar. Yeah, it's that boy. What a fucked up family.
Duncan: And it's going to get worse oh it is. It is definitely getting worse. We're going to look back and call these times the good times.
Bo: These were the good old days I'm talking about. Yeah, this, all this all got to go so, so bad. But yeah, so back at the protest. Things are really getting violent. Navarro and the cops finally show up. As Navarro is waiting into things, by the way, she sees another ghost of Annie Kay. And then we go to the show, leah's point of view, who is getting like hustled by another cop? It's the same one that was hitting the girl at the at the open of the show, you know the cannery or whatever working the cleaning crew and anyway he's going after. Leah Navarro tackles them. Leah yells for a girlfriend who is like fuck that and takes off.
Duncan: Yeah, like no support at all. And Leah doesn't just like run away from this cop. This cop fucking whales on her like two times with a, with a big baton right across the top of her head, right into her ribs, and Navarro obviously runs across, manages to save Leah whilst pissing off this cop. And yeah, like I mean Danvers doesn't want to say I told you so, but like kind of you know what I mean. She did see like is that thing of fuck around? Find out. You don't fuck around with the police, don't fuck around with the five or four.
Bo: You know, I mean just just continuing with that, because they're in the car together. There is a great moment where Leah is like how come you weren't there on our side. Who said, are you on anyway? And Navarro is like oh fuck, you're making me side with your mom. That's not the and. And Leah finally just like take me home. And Navarro is like I can't really do that.
Duncan: Yeah, Because Danvers is basically told her bring her in. Yeah.
Bo: And Leah's response to that is fucking pigs all of you. Which is you?
Duncan: know, hurtful.
Bo: I mean, meanwhile we'll we'll kind of mush these, these two scenes together, because Danvers gets a call from Dr who saying, hey, I need you to meet at McKintrick's office the lady from Silver Sky and Danvers is like what's going on, dr who? And he's like just be there, yeah. And she's like, oh fuck, this doesn't seem good.
Duncan: But she gets a reprieve because Pete says I've been doing a little digging around and remember that total institute that we mentioned a couple of episodes ago, that Internet went mental about and well turns out they're actually owned by a company that's owned by a company, that's owned by a shell company that is actually partners with the main company. I guess who the finance? Remember everyone, the Salal Station, which means there is a direct connection between Salal and the main, which, by the way, I think we called on the episode two Yep, 100%.
Bo: As soon as it happened, it was like, oh OK, well. So as soon as they mentioned the total group, is like, oh well, it don't spell that.
Duncan: Yeah, and we were right, yeah, because we're very smart. We're going to be saying that a lot moving forward as well. So let's say, let's just try and keep it in check. Well, let's just try and keep it in check.
Bo: So there's there's a personal moment between Danvers and Pete where she's like did you, did you know that she was going to be at the protest, dr Pete?
True Detective: And it's like no, no, no.
Bo: I, I didn't know anything that was going on because I got kicked the fuck out. Yeah, and Danvers was like oh well, do you have a place to say, Dr Lector? Yeah, and he's like look, if I stay at your place, that is a fast track to a divorce.
Duncan: Yeah, that's a divorce right there. Right, well, you get read between the lanes. You might be the reason that I can't go home tonight.
Bo: Right and while Pete is laying all this information on the stuff we just talked about, that is where Leah is brought into the station and, like Danvers, literally turns her back to her.
Duncan: Yeah.
Bo: And, but yeah.
Duncan: Leah what? Leah walks up to front desk, spits blood on the counter, says just give me my fucking phone call, right, because if you're going to do that in a movie, do it then Uh-huh.
Bo: You want to fly Danvers?
Duncan: I want to fuck with you, Sam. It's instantly quotable. Like you get me on a Robocop kick. We are going to be here all night, all night.
Bo: Danvers leave. Oh, what are my favorite moments? Happens here in this whole episode, when, when Pete is walking off and Danvers is like sorry about the divorce, dr Lector, he's like it's not a divorce and she's like whatever, like has zero belief that anything is going to get worked out here. She's just like, oh, you're fucked. Yeah, yeah, also, I've got to go, I'm going to go, I'm going to go, I'm going to go, I'm going to go, I'm going to go, I'm going to go. I'm going to go. Also, I've got a key I'll give. I'll give that to you later, don't worry about it right now.
Duncan: This like I want to get. I've read some things that talked about the dissatisfaction that some people have with the writing in this season and I just don't get it because that, specifically in this episode, everything is paid off. All the everything that's set up is completely paid off, and it's paid off in a way when I was like that, just a chef's kiss, jeff's kiss.
Bo: Yeah, I right, I really enjoy doing this with you because it forces me to go back and watch it a second time and critically, and as I'm doing them like man, this really does hang together real well.
Duncan: Well, I think this is the thing people forget is, like in the previous seasons, the true detective they're focused on to the two cop leads. This season is juggling about four or five storylines intricate with characters and it is paid off. Like everything they've set up from almost episode one or introduced as episode one is even just a slight discussion point, is either paid off in this episode or, I have to guess, will be paid off in the finale. But the like the the writing is being like, especially this like who is this actor that plays Pete?
Bo: Yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Duncan: He's great.
True Detective: Yeah.
Duncan: He's absolutely brilliant because he's holding his own against, like Academy Award winner Fucking Jody Foster.
True Detective: Yeah.
Bo: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's nuts, yeah, it's so good. So, speaking of, pete goes to go check on Leah who is, you know, in her cell.
Duncan: Nobody knows the trouble I've been. Nobody knows.
Bo: Running across the bars.
Duncan: It gives her, it gives us.
True Detective: Yeah, now down 40 years since I anyway.
Duncan: So yeah, the thing is like there is a high probability that, like Danvers, keeps it in there for Forever.
Bo: Like, yes, it left to her devices. Yeah, because, yeah, danvers is a real tough love kind of person, but this is the scene that I was talking about, where there's a really good, I think, evaluation of her, where. So Pete gives Leah Pepsi and Leah is like I don't like Pepsi, no, I don't like Pepsi. And he's like there was no mountain doing. The machine shut up and there they talk about how, like her girlfriend sucks and he got kicked out. And then Leah tells a story that Kayla told her about Pete where, when you know, back in his high school football days, when he was in a big game, and he's like, oh, is it one you know where I won the game? And she's like, no, actually you lost the game because you were, you know, playing linebacker or whatever, and kept falling down and this guy kept getting past you. And later on we found out that his mother had had a stroke or whatever it was, and she was like so you let him beat you. And he's like I didn't do that. She's like, look, just don't let Danvers ruin that person.
Duncan: Yeah.
Bo: And this is the lie I love where she says she's not good with people she cares about.
Duncan: Yeah.
Bo: And it's a perfect encapsulation of Danvers, because Danvers definitely cares about Leah. It's just does not have the emotional capacity, because of all of her trauma, to express that. And yeah, it's in a lot of ways Danvers is a really A really tortured kind of character.
Duncan: Yeah.
Bo: And I think there are odds that she does not make it out of episode six.
Duncan: Oh, I was going with Navarro.
Bo: Oh, I think it's more likely, because I think Navarro seems too likely to go down that road and I think it's in my mind at least it's Danvers sacrificing herself for Navarro and for ultimately Leah through Navarro All right.
Duncan: So I have it in my head that, like Danvers is refusing to listen to the ghost that has something to tell her, and Navarro is Weirdly listening to the ghost that wants to take her away, so oh, Interesting.
Bo: OK, well, we'll see if we're looking.
Duncan: Yeah, we don't know, we don't we stop on this. We had stopped, we were finding out.
Bo: We're finding it, but so.
Duncan: It's interesting that both of us think that somebody does. Yeah, but they're not both making it to the end. That's interesting.
Bo: Navarro tries to talk Danvers out of holding Leah in the cell and I went well, didn't I?
Duncan: Yeah right, she said it.
Bo: Fuck out of my business, quit fucking around in my shit. Basically is what she says. And but then Danvers tells Navarro like all the answer to the file that Pete gave her, and she's getting dressed the whole time because she's like I got to go meet Dr who and McKittrick Dr Lector, so I'll be back in a little bit. You just keep my shitty daughter in the jail cell, but anyway. So Danvers is off to Silver Sky where she buss in and like just storms into this place like she.
Duncan: Like every, every place that Danvers goes, she walks in like she owns kind of while as a character right.
Bo: But everywhere, to borrow like a poker term.
Duncan: She thinks she has the nuts right, like she thinks that I don't think she doesn't in this Like I, like, I think I, I think I once again reading, like some of the the reviews for this episode, I actually think I think she's rust and cold in this situation. I think she realises halfway through this conversation that she is not holding all the cards and I think she then basically plays the rest of that conversation to get as much information as she can without giving anything else.
Bo: OK, all right.
Duncan: Because I think, like the start of the conversation, like she, like she's just, she's like Phillip pissing vinegar with them.
Bo: Because the first thing they do is they show her the video. They're like, they're like. The reason we called you here, yes, is because this video you and Avaro are in Silver Sky property. What the fuck are you looking for?
Duncan: Yeah.
Bo: And she says well, you know, we had Intel, dr Lector, about the area. And she's like aha, who gave you that Intel? And she's like, well, otis highs, as it happens. And she's like, huh, huh, well, there's good news, yeah, we've solved the mystery. And she's like, oh, is that right, dr Lector?
Duncan: Yeah, and this is also coming from the Kittridge, yes, and not coming from Dr who, like she is not the police, right, and he is the police and she is basically saying this case is closed.
Bo: Yes, because what she says happens in this goes back to the Yadav Paz.
Duncan: Yes.
Bo: But they said there was a slab avalanche, that all the guys had gone outside to see the last sunset of the year and got hit by this avalanche.
Duncan: We, we out and like they just decided to walk for miles Right.
Bo: Stop everything they were doing, and yeah, so what area?
Duncan: which didn't have any hills around at all and were hit with avalanche, which I mean. I'm no like volcanologist, but I'm fairly sure that an avalanche rose downhill.
Bo: Yes.
Duncan: Yeah.
Bo: And you're, Davies is pretty quick to say fuck your weather event. She does. Oh she's got over and I mean it's so inappropriate and it's completely the wrong move to me.
Duncan: Plus, your boss is there, right.
Bo: Like it is wildly out of line.
Duncan: It's not the most out of line thing she says to her, though she's building up to that.
Bo: So yeah, well, oh man, she does go nuclear at a certain point for no reason, Like it's a real.
Duncan: Well, this is what makes me think the nuclear option is a distraction.
Bo: Yeah, so anyway, she then kind of lays down her cards about the connection between Tuttle and Salel and Silver Sky.
Duncan: Yeah. And the insinuation that she's making is if you have an environmental you know geological survey team there, that's basically there to identify how pure the ice and the you know surrounding environment is, and it's owned by the same company that owns the mining company where the locals are saying the water has been poisoned. Maybe a conflict of interest?
Bo: Right. And what happens, though, is McKittrick is like hmm, that's interesting, I'll certainly look into it, but you know, with the company as big as ours, it you know, there's no conflict of interest, because one hand doesn't really know what the other is doing. Most of the time, anyway.
Duncan: So I would give money to lots of different.
Bo: Yeah, and it really diffuses like there's no, nobody was like you found this, you know, it was just like yeah, ok, so what? And yeah like well, but that's wrong.
Duncan: Yeah, and they're like yeah.
Bo: And then this is where she pulls the nuclear option.
Duncan: And I think this is so she can get out of there. Yeah, like, get out of there or not, can't? Let's just like like you can get out of here and I can't, let's just get out of here. So I think what she does, she pulls it, pulls the pendant and the grenade right in front of her.
Bo: Yeah, I'm sorry your husband's such a bad lay. And immediately Dr who is like what the fuck are you doing? Like he is shot, genuinely shocked, like what the fuck it is such a great reaction from Christopher Eccleston. He is just like jaw dropped of like yeah it never entered his head that something like this would come out of her mouth.
Duncan: And interesting dynamics. In this one, he's a police officer. She's a police officer. Yeah, he's sitting on the other side of the table.
Bo: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Duncan: Like they're interrogating her and that that would never fucking happen, which makes me wonder yeah, is she contributing to the upcoming mayoral campaign?
Bo: Yeah, or is he just a useful idiot, or you know, I mean how many police officers are in because we're about to get the reveal.
Duncan: We are moments away from the reveal of something I called right back in that first episode. But how many does she have in her back pocket? How many? How many does McKittridge and this mining company? How many police officers do they have? Because he's not even based in that time. He's based in Anchorage.
Bo: So yeah, I mean. The only reason he is there, as a matter of fact, is because of what's going on with Silver Sky.
Duncan: Yeah so.
Bo: I mean he had like again, he had exiled her is the way they put it, danvers?
Duncan: Yes.
Bo: So this is an ass out in the middle of nowhere place and not a place you would expect him to come, unless he is there to come.
Duncan: Yes.
Bo: Or deal with McKittrick, but anyway. So when, when McKittrick leaves, jody Foster still seems to think that he is kind of on her side.
Duncan: She's. She's about to find out very, very quickly that that's not the case.
Bo: Right? Well, because she's like impassionedly telling him look, this cave is where Annie Kay was murdered. The two cases are linked, the stuff with. You know, salal and Annie Kay, all of this is the same thing. We just got to figure it out. And then Dr who is like so what about the Wheeler case?
Duncan: Yeah, when were you going to tell me about this?
Bo: Right, this suicide, this supposed suicide, and there was no suicide was there. And she's like, where did this come from? And then he's like, look, the case is closed, be smart for once and just go home to your daughter and and so all she fucks.
Duncan: Yeah Well, this is, this is his, this is him trying to pull the nuclear option. But once again, like we know where this goes, which makes me Like she she kind of plays this out to, to narrow it down, what this information could only have come from One place, right, yes, so she. She walks us out once again to Danverscray that she's like ruthlessly smart. Even even the explanation of what happens in the Wheeler case is ruthlessly fucking smart. It just took it like Ace Cop, who his wife had flung him at the house to crack it and but like was one of the assumptions we had made, was one of the assumptions we had made was that essentially, hank knew right and had covered up. What we will find out is Hank didn't actually know, but Hank is what's the word she uses Not as stupid, as he acts Right and and has done something that is basically giving him the leverage that he needs to fuck with Danvers.
Bo: Right. Well, and that is the next thing where McKittrick and Hawks are meeting kind of in her car out in the middle. Yes one presumes, nowhere Like this is real secret, clandestine meeting stuff. And McKittrick says like Danvers is not letting this go and she cannot find that cave and Heiss can't take her there, do you?
Duncan: understand what I mean Like.
Bo: I'm going to press and you say I will take care of this.
Duncan: The thing is. The thing is I like she. There's a great, great part of this interaction where you get the feeling that McKittrick doesn't really know. It's not that she doesn't know what she's asking, she just doesn't understand the logistics of what she's asking. Because, like, he's like that I can't, just, I can't just kill a guy. Like I, just like I can't, like, I can't, just I can't just do that. And she's like well, he's a drug addict, maybe he has an accident, you know, like he gets lost, right, yeah, maybe, maybe he gets lost. These things happen all the time. And he's like and he's like, listen, you know, isn't like we paid you a lot of money that time that you did that thing for us? And he's like listen, I haven't, there is no money left. There is, I haven't paid him enough and there are none of it left, which, like I say, makes me think he's spent all on these catfish. Russian bride.
Bo: And he was supposed to be chief of police.
Duncan: That was the bar that was part of the deal as well. And, of course, like Mckitry says, how was I supposed to know that Dan versus was going to be, you know like essentially cast out and ostracized up here how? There's no way I would have ever known that. But it falls into that play of, like I mentioned right at the start, why did he have the Annie Kay case files in his house? Right, it's because he's doing the mines that we also said that we felt that he probably wanted that job or had had that job. No, he pretty much had that job. And they said full support of the mine. You basically tidy up for them or look in the other way all the way through. And, yeah, mckitry basically said you know, go forth, get any. So I don't even know where he is and he's like that, well, followed, ambers. I mean like I have to do your job for you as well. Do I physically have to do this for you? Well, that follower, she'll take you to him and then sort this out, which will come into effect at the end of this episode, which I have some strong takes on the end of this episode. Oh, I'm interested to see if we read the room the same way.
Bo: All right, yeah, but one of my favorite moments in this whole back and forth with Hawks and Mckitryk is when he's like look, I've never killed anybody.
True Detective: And she's like whoa who said anything?
Bo: about killing.
Duncan: I didn't say anything. I never said it, you never heard it.
True Detective: I never said it you never heard it.
Duncan: So it's like whoa sir. It's going to be percussive noises with my mouth.
Bo: We cut over to Navarro, who has some Japanese horror movie ghost hair, her washing machine at the laundromat, which is unfortunate.
Duncan: I hate when that happens as terrible, you know, you pull in here, you pull in here, and then all of a sudden Sadako comes out.
Bo: Oh, what is this little kid meowing at me? For Jeez, I've got company coming over.
Duncan: Did I buy a grudge house?
Bo: Yeah, Tired of all your grudge ghosts. There has to be a better way. As soon as you cross the threshold, you are damned for all eternity. But that doesn't mean your guests have to be. Keep those spooks at a respectable distance with grudge away, grudge away. Take it from, take it from this user. Yeah, that is one freaky kid. Anyway, so while she's dealing with grudge here in the laundromat, a cavick finds her along with his pal and he's like hey, this buddy of mine can identify that spiral on the stone. Yeah, the school that you left at my house and she's like no shit, let's have it. And all of true detective was like no shit, let's have it. And he's like, oh, it's a marker that hunters used for places where the ice will swallow you whole. And also, you know, he reveals that people in the area have referred to those ice caves as the night country.
Duncan: Yes, and so interesting. Interesting theory online about the spirals is that the spirals and true detective go the other way. So the the the insinuation is the spirals and true detective that go the other way are about ascension and the spirals that are in this one that go the opposite way are about descending.
Bo: Hmm, okay, all right, or one is war a warning, the other an invitation.
Duncan: Hmm, I love it, I love it. How very lovecraftian of you, bro, I know.
Bo: So Navarro bus in to tell Liz about this and Navarro is very excited where she's like look, look, we've cracked a case. We, they call the caves the night country. We can crack down into them from above and the whole time, danvers is like it's over. It's over Dr, like we're being shut down and go on now Go on.
Duncan: Go on.
Bo: And Navarro is like fuck that, no, we'll do it anyway. And finally Danvers is like doctor, who knows about Wheeler, yeah. And she's like, oh huh, you know what? Fuck that, who cares? Let's get down there anyway and we can find DNA and whatever. We got to go. This is our time, this is the time to do this. We got a strike. And Danvers is like just refuses to, as just like go home, we're done. And Navarro very pointedly says, all right, well then, annie K is yours now. You get to carry that burden. So you're leaving her alone down in that cave in the dark, and she's yours now.
True Detective: Yeah.
Bo: And all off. Navarro goes to. By the way, let Lee out, that's her.
Duncan: Yeah, I'm going to stick at the Danvers here and she lets me out.
Bo: And Lee asked did Liz tell you to do this? And she said fuck this yeah. All right All right, I'm going to look whatever. Whatever gets me out of here, I'm down.
Duncan: Yeah, whatever gets me out.
Bo: Yeah.
Duncan: I'm going to get short or tease if I walk out this police station.
Bo: And Danvers sees her but just doesn't say anything. She just, she just lets it go from that point. But Hawks, meanwhile, is like what was that all around, all about Pete? And Pete's like, oh, you know, family shit. And then he tells the story Hawks does of Pete being a little kid and playing on the ice and falling into it and this whole thing where he was, like you know, the current was pulling you so I had to get ahead of you and bash through the ice and grab you and I almost missed. But you know, we got you out of there and I got you into my car and I knew I just had to keep you awake. So I just kept talking to you and all the way to the hospital, huh, family stuff, right. And Pete's like yeah, and then off he goes and it's like, oh, that's dramatic.
Duncan: Yeah.
Bo: Someone's making it out of this episode.
Duncan: It's a very See, I look. I look at this as pure manipulation. What Hawks is not as silly as you think I think right to the very end. Here he is in film manipulation.
Bo: Oh, you think he's really.
Duncan: I think it's no, there are a couple of moments.
Bo: I feel like this is sort of like his last moment, where it's just like things are going bad. But let me at least try to make an effort.
Duncan: He is no, no, no, no, I think there is. He like he is easy, easy, nasty piece of work. He forces his son to kill him, like see, if you go back and check that scene, his finger is not on the trigger. His finger is not on the trigger when he lifts that gun up to Danvers so he forces his kid to shoot him. I knew that part. Yeah, right, so he is. He is. Basically he's leaving his kid with that to deal with.
True Detective: Oh yeah.
Duncan: Like so he's not. He is not a good guy you can talk about. Like let's talk about this nice memory, about that time I saved your life, Like moments before I traumatized your life for the rest of your existence.
Bo: It's a fucking horrible thing to do, Well this is a miserable piece of shit, not defending Hawks at all as a good person. But, as we've seen, like characters on this show, like bad people, have good moments and good people have bad moments and stuff. So I felt like this was like a moment of nostalgia for him.
Duncan: Yeah, there was also that I don't like. Part of me feels like there's this is kind of seven, two purposes. It's when, when crunch time comes, will you hold on to that time that I saved your life or will you need your help, and so I need to remind you. Yeah, because it comes out like like why would that, like that's such a weird conversation to have at that moment. You know what I mean?
Bo: Yeah yeah, you're right.
Duncan: Well, like, yeah, I like all the way through, like from the moment he started singing the blues, I was like this man's a bad man.
Bo: All right, I'm coming around, ok. So then we go to Navarro, who is Rose. Has like cut through the ice way up in the middle of nowhere, so that Navarro can rose, who is a real person.
Duncan: Yes, yes who exists, it exists, it's kind of a whole nice.
Bo: Yeah, and so that Navarro can put Julie's ashes into the water and give her back to the sea. She says which is really, you know, kind of a sweet thing to say and Rose is like, hey, hurry up out here, because the weather is going to shit. They're saying it's going to be a category for whatever that is.
Duncan: Yeah, I can't agree for for boating storm is coming in. Yes, hope that won't have any impact on the next episode.
Bo: And all right. So her light starts flickering. Yes, navarro does, after Rose is walking away and she hears somebody calling her name and it's a voice saying listen. And she starts to follow and has this like flash of the desert for a second I've like she goes back to the combat zone from the first episode. Yeah, from that, like the girl who whispered to her that had to have her the head blown off, was like Gus from Breaking bad. And and then she flashes back and she's back in the present, but she is on super thin ice, which means Duncan. The ice is going to break, right. And so she has to get on her belly, and rose does too, and kind of like, get, get wide, yeah, so that you stand less of a chance to go through. And rose finally, like throw something out to her and brings her back. And Rose is like why didn't you hear me calling your name? Yeah, what were you doing? And she's just you know, I don't know.
Duncan: Navarro listens to the ghosts that are trying to take her with her. This is what I'm saying. I don't think she's getting out the next episode, but I think she's no long for this world.
Bo: See, I think that's the bend of her characters. She's been like on that journey Right. I think she she finds redemption and Danvers finds. You know like like the way that she can help people in her demise. You know like where she can do the most good. Oh, right so but anyway, we'll talk about speculation in a minute. So but Danvers shows up at the priors and asked to see Leah and I originally.
Duncan: Just like, once again, she owns how she's boxing or having a bath.
Bo: Absolutely, and they're talking while she's in the bath and she's in the bath and Danvers very sweetly, I think, is like please come home for new years, come on, come on, come on, now Go on now.
Duncan: And Leah doesn't agree per se, but as she's leaving, she has the most pain line I've ever heard a kid say ever.
Bo: Yeah. And she says Liz, you know, I haven't given up on you. And Liz doesn't say anything and she just leaves. So Danvers takes off. We see that Hawks is now following her. Yeah.
Duncan: Which is not very good at either, like he's, like the one, because, like Danvers, heads straight to police station so she can score some of that capital. H, no, no no, she doesn't.
Bo: She first goes to the morgue, she goes to the morgue.
Duncan: Yeah. So Leah basically told her in that conversation do you know, like I bad water? She's like I know about the fucking water and she's like do you know about the still person? She's like, yeah, I know about the still person. She's like nine in the last month and she's like nine, like, yeah, nine stillborn babies, nine times. Yeah, nine times in the last month and you have done nothing. Yeah, so she makes a move to the morgue. I've kind of dramatic seen here. She goes in, basically what you find that is because the ground is so frozen like the bodies are just in coffins and storage Because they can't dig holes in the ground. So she goes in. She sees like all these tiny little coffins and it really affects her, like you can see her getting like because this but this is like, while she is like, while she's fucking fumbling around with these cases and trying to like like deal with all the bullshit that she's happening, there is a legitimate crime happening here that the police is not investigating because it, you know, it's hard to prove. You know, like all this stuff that you know that the right that the law should be taken care of, all this stuff, that big corporations and it's the theme all the way through true detective from the first fucking season, that is the abuse of people, of power, money and wealth to just make problems disappear. And I mean it's in my eyes. It's inevitable now that a theory, a kind of partial theory that I floated in our third episode is Annie Kay was investigating the stillborn you know stillborn babies related to the mind, you know like. Struck up a friendship with the guy at the Salal station, probably found out they were being funded by the same people, ended up in this cave, came across some sort of evidence and was murdered for it.
Bo: Yeah, I think all of that feels right, yeah, so anyway, that will like think about why take your tongue.
Duncan: I think he took her tongue. Hox, did no. I think the crazy guy at the station took her tongue. Oh, clark, I think he took her tongue because he felt guilty about what happened and he took that as a kind of partial souvenir.
Bo: I think that's or if it's the like, going back to the she's awake stuff, if you've been having visions of her because of his guilt and this is a way for her, to get her to stop talking to him.
Duncan: Possibly. Yeah, there's that. Yeah, I think he had. I think he had it and I think that's why we found that at the station. I think, when we find out what happened, I think he went crazy, probably through guilt. And you know, this is what we fucking did to her. I've got a fucking tongue which was frozen in her station for God knows how long, and that's what happened, I think. So I mean, that's what was going on with the tongue.
Bo: And so all right.
Duncan: So after Liz checks out the stillborn babies and that that probably she pulls a McConaughey from season one of true detective and that instead of going in for a big bag of cocaine, she goes in and she removes heroin from the from the evidence. From when she comes out she bumps right in the John Hawks who's just standing there. In the worst, I will follow you. I'm tailing a suspect. Yeah, like, just like. And it's awkward and it's fumbly, and she's like walks right up to him, she gets in his face and she's like like, what did you say about the wheeler case? And he's like the To Dr who.
Bo: Like you, I know you talked to Dr who. You told him all about yeah.
Duncan: Yeah, she grabs Pete and takes Pete into the room and then we get like maybe the most intense like ask the right question session we've had in this entire series. And this is where you really find that Pete is a fucking great cop Because you wouldn't let go. She basically she says start asking questions. And he's like that Well, you know what happened. And he's like wrong question. Well yeah, I asked the right question and he's like well, did you maybe like just like wrong question? He doesn't even get the full question out. It's like and she's like wrong question, Did you wrong question, like this, and basically he finally hits on the right question, which is you remember what the right question is?
Bo: Did you know, wheeler was left handed.
Duncan: There we go and she's like, huh, right, and then we get his rationale behind it, basically what we the way I interpret this. I'm interested in if you interpret different. The way I interpret this is the. They've been called out there several times and hadn't done anything. Right, there'd been a lot of an action. Is what he's saying from the evidence here. The reason, like the, the hadn't done anything is because she was prone to hurt herself, or did I pick that up wrong?
Bo: Yeah, it's a little confusing because they get it. Pete gets into this all this business about how the pictures were flipped.
Duncan: Yes, yeah, I got that. So basically what they were saying is, like you said, that he shot himself, but he shot her Right, but he couldn't have shot her because Wheeler was left handed and I found out, like the way, like the way her bruises were and all the subsequent like case pictures before they all came from the opposite side, so, like, almost like she'd hit herself. So you know, I then checked the picture, I went back and checked her yearbook photo and the, the, the, the crime scene photos that you have of her dead. The birthmark is on the wrong side. If she had shot, if she, like she, had been shot, you know it would make sense. But she killed herself, as how I interpreted it, she committed suicide.
Bo: Right, and so they leapt to the wrong conclusion.
Duncan: They killed him and what they then saw, what I think Navarro Short thingy. And then I think Danvers yeah, I think Danvers put together and then falsified evidence to get Navarro out. Yeah, ok, all right, I mean I'm on board with that, which is also why I don't think Danvers is going to die in the next episode. I think Danvers is going to take the fall for it in the next episode. I think that's the sort of thing that's going to come up. I think there's going to be like Pete knows about that, she knows about that. It's clearly, it clearly weighs on her and I think she will confess that at the end. Plus fucking, what's his tips? Knows about it Doctor who. And he's not going to go away on that one. He's ultimately, regardless what comes out, the women in the mind is not going to take the fall, but Mckitridge is going to be safe because it's true detective and no one at the top ever takes the fall, it's all the people below. So I think it follows. It follows a thread. She will take the fall at the end of this.
Bo: OK, I'm with you. I mean, I think somebody, I think you're right. I don't think this is the season where suddenly, true detective ends with the good guys winning an unquestionable victory.
Duncan: Yeah Well, even season one they hadn't really won, like they survived. They survived that bout, but there was an international pedophile fucking like scheme out there. They just managed to close the chapter that was on their doorstep, right, they didn't Well, they didn't stop. At season two, everyone died, except fucking Rachel McAdams who, like pretty much died. But everyone else died. The guy from John Carter of Marseille fucking perished horribly, and Vince Vaughn died bleeding out in the fucking desert and Conferral couldn't even text his son to tell me he loved him. He got fucking shot in some woods. And then in season three there's that insinuation that, as happy as that ending is, it might not be everything that happened. So, so like none of them have happy endings. So, I like I don't think he's a Lopez Like he's gonna like come in here and be like. You know what I'm going to give it the Disney ending.
Bo: Well, because, notoriously, tigers are not afraid. One of the happiest endings ever it doesn't?
Duncan: It's another one Like. I sat in a cinema with grown men balling their fucking eyes out watching the end of that movie.
Bo: Sure, yeah, that's one of them. I did not my eyes out at the end of the day.
Duncan: One single solitary bit of moisture in my tear ducts when that movie finished, because I have a heart of stone.
Bo: Yeah, because, yeah you, there's something broken inside you, it is. That is not a badge of honor.
Duncan: That is my daughter, was recently a slight aside. There was a relatively emotional advert that was on the telly and my wife cries Everything and we're sitting on the couch and I kind of looked around and I was like, oh, when I was like, here come the waterworks, and she's like it's my mom crying. And she's like, yeah, I'm crying, I was like your mom cries everything, and she turned around and she's like that's because I'm not an emotionalist monster Like you.
Bo: No, it falls Frankie.
Duncan: I was like could I write in the button there? She called it, she saw it and she's right. I'm not to the thought, but yeah, like this. So I can't remember how we were related, but yeah, I think I think ultimately is he gonna have a happy. I think Danvers will take the fall at the end.
Bo: Okay, all right.
Duncan: I was gonna die just for chicks and girls.
Bo: Um, yeah, well, you know how I feel about this.
True Detective: All right.
Duncan: So, anyway, uh, so, um, so, like you. Basically, she explains all of the P and pizza about to push forward and she's like that you know this conversation is now closed. And she's like oh, by the way, the password on your, your laptop I'm guessing it's this because your dad's been access now because you've been staying with them and he's been going through your computer to dig up dirt on me, because I told you before he may, actually, but he is not.
Bo: Mm, hmm, it the. The one thing in this whole episode that I felt like a bad note to me was, uh, this bit with the password, because it's like, well, we've established that Pete is kind of somewhat tech savvy.
True Detective: Yeah.
Bo: And using his kids birthday is the most obvious password in the world. So why on earth would somebody who knew at least a little something about this use such a terrible password?
Duncan: Yeah.
Bo: I mean it's, it's fine. At the end of the day, it's not that big a deal. But it felt like not Pete, you know, like Pete would be. If he's the one that they hand a phone to him like figure this out and hack it and get it working again, then he would know to not have you would think, but then sometimes people are really lazy with our computers. Maybe, but what she does say to him is as smart as you are, Pete you you haven't get learned when to stop asking questions to her. And anyway. So then she gives them a key, because of course she does.
Duncan: Yeah, and it says listen, you can't stay with your dad anymore, like, and I know that you can't stay in my house because divorce. However, there is the shed out the back and you're welcome to stay there as long as you want, but get out of that house and get away from your dad, and I don't have to see you.
Bo: You don't have to see me Like you are. You have your own space, even though it's just like this.
Duncan: And this totally sets up the end. It's so fucking good. It's still good.
Bo: So she takes off. Then Hux comes over to Pete. I was like hey, what was all that about? Bookeroo, my boy?
True Detective: Remember that to my diligent from the ace.
Duncan: You always died. Is everything okay yeah?
Bo: And Pete's like don't fucking touch me and you know, get out of here, I don't want to see you. And so Hawks was like what do I do? And then leaves. He's always like John Hawks in this, not in everything.
Duncan: He's fucking excellent.
Bo: He's great and and that kind of dopey, like what you know, like that look that he he throws at Pete is, and I think you're right. I think that, in particular, is really manipulative. Yeah, but he's all built up.
Duncan: Like cause he doesn't know. This is the key to what is going to happen at the end of this episode is he does not know that Danvers has given them a key to stay in the back cabin. Because if he did know that, if this conversation had went differently and he found out that information, there is absolutely no way that Hank pulls what he's about to pull at Danvers house.
Bo: A hundred percent. So we do have a moment where Navarro shows up at Cavex and I like the fact that he's the little spoon when she gets into bed with him and like I dig that I, you know, as a six foot plus tall man, I don't know if I've ever been the little spoon, and I feel like I should have been at some point.
Duncan: There is a there is a very, very, very funny theory about this particular scene and that Kavik, whose name apparently is I think it's in you for wolf.
Bo: Okay, yeah, cause. Yeah, there's a book called Kavik the wolf dog. I remember reading when I was a kid and he's reading.
Duncan: Did you see what he was reading? He's reading any sand. He's reading. Who's afraid of Virginia wolf?
Bo: Oh, that's fun.
Duncan: Right, the play, but apparently like a whole fucking, like, mega, mega, mega mega thread or read it about this. I've never seen the play. But who who's afraid of Virginia wolf is the story of a couple who pretend that they have a child and when they're confronted about it they claim that the child died in a car accident. And there was assumptions that, like you're doing the feast, I was doing that, I was like that. But we know that like holding as a real person, because he's been referenced in this show and I think this is just as a Lopez having some fun, which I kind of love it. She's like you know what. I'm just going to put this in here because I know how the internet works and people are going to look into this a little further than they necessarily should. Or maybe even like hey, here's this guy who sort of belongs in the area and he's like at peace in this land, and well, also like the fact that it tells a story about a very kind of a dysfunctional couple, and that could be Navarro and Kavac.
Bo: Yeah, yeah, I mean you may not have to read too deeply into this.
Duncan: Yeah, I would read deeply at all and I just think it's, I just think it's fun that the other someone spent a long time, good, and I just cracked it, eureka, with one of those like beautiful mind yarn.
Bo: You got a red wave on the wall. Yeah Well, kavac is actually the name of a wolf and wolves, as we know, or furry furries, as we know, go to conventions. Ah, this all ends at a convention. So, anyway. But Danvers goes to the lighthouse to get Heis out of there and of course she has a little bit of yellow Conja, clean burning propane in her pocket and she gets about there. It's like we're going back to my place, Dr Hiss, and he's like, well, give me the heroine. She's like no, I'm not stupid, you don't get that yet. And so she calls Navarro to say to me to tell Navarro to meet Danvers at her place.
True Detective: Yeah.
Bo: And that she's got eyes that heist and they're going to go to the ice caves. And if I was like I thought we were out of this, just like, yeah, well, things change, so get to my place. And so Navarro is like, tells Kavac like hey, I got to go, and heist, like one of the things that Danvers makes high show her is like show me the place we're going, yeah, and so I give you this bagging you go to the back, just in case you don't survive the next five minutes, Right In case you pop your last balloon like Sam Stone from that John Prine song. Yeah.
Duncan: But there's also the part like he is about to like shoot up drugs as well. So there is obviously a chance to get my OD with that as well.
Bo: So just give me the information first, right, and so Navarro's on her way and we get a weird moment where a little kid stops in the middle of the street and points at her like all the ghosts have done and we get some crashes of that. And then his mom is like quit being creepy.
Duncan: Come on, we got to go home. Yeah, you're a real child and not like a ghost.
Bo: Yeah, you're not a Grudge baby. We have Grudge away.
Duncan: We have Grudge away. We pay our subscription Right, I'm paid up through January. I mean we're fine, it's nice.
Bo: It's just a thing you plug into the wallet since out a little signal or whatever, and the ghosts hate it. It's the same. It just plays over and over again. There's like two notes that Binkman plays when he goes to Dana Barrett's apartment. I was like I hate this and it turns out he was right. They do hate that. It's a long way to go for that joke. Anyway so Danvers is at her place, here's a car door open and thinks it's Navarro and in fact goes to the door and is kind of opening it and in walks John Hawks.
Duncan: Yeah.
Bo: And he's like hey, I'm sorry to bother you and everything, but you know a doctor who called me and told me to bring Otis Heisen, and she's like how did you know he was here? He's like oh, he's here.
Duncan: I just came to ask you. I didn't know that.
Bo: I just thought maybe. But now that I know that you know, come with me, Otis, because Otis Heisen has come out and Danvers immediately steps between them. It's like how about I give him a call Cause? This all seems real, fucking weird.
Duncan: Yeah, I think like my. My theory on this is this is a two far for him.
Bo: Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Duncan: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, and like getting everything they ever wanted. And he would have got away with it too. But if it hadn't been for that peat in the shed?
Bo: So, danvers, I like the fact that the whole time she's like, whatever's going on, we can fix it. Okay, yeah, listen, dr Lecter, you don't have to shoot anybody here?
Duncan: But Heis makes a break every day you will walk in the beach. You will have like supervised.
Bo: Yeah.
Duncan: Yeah, plum Island. Yeah, that's right.
Bo: John Hawks, you don't have to do this, you will. We'll have a view from yourself. We'll get one hour on the beach, supervised, of course.
Duncan: Plum Island. Was that you lovely touch? So yeah, he shoots Heis, who has made a break for it right in the head, right in the head, like so Heis ain't coming back, well, but he's still flopping around a little bit and Hawks goes over and puts another bullet in him to finish the job. Of course, those two gunshots are enough to start anyone in a shed out the back.
Bo: Of course yeah.
Duncan: So yeah, like he's standing over the body and then he kind of turns on Danvers with the gun and that's when Pete comes in and God bless Danvers. Like she is like literally to Pete, like she is like John Knowles got their behind, like she is like she's like that, think, like be smart.
Bo: Think about this, be smart about this. Everybody needs to drop their guns. This is like things are wildly spinning out control here. We can still fix this.
Duncan: I think, I think, even I think Danvers is even. There's a part of Danvers that's even resigned to the fact that if, if fucking Hank shoots her, pete can always arrest Hank. Yeah, yeah, you know, I mean you do still get justice, still like she done some shit. You know, rest him that way. If you kill him, you can't take that back. You know you can't do that. And, of course, the ultimate I think at this point it all dawns on Hank how royally fucked everything is.
Bo: As soon as Pete walks in the door, he's like I think he's resigned himself. Yeah.
Duncan: I think he's resigned himself at that point of I either killer and he's on side with me, or he puts me down.
Bo: I I slightly disagree. I think that there's a moment of optimism and there's a there is a specific moment where Pete or not Pete, but where Hank knows he's fucked.
Duncan: Yeah.
Bo: And it's, but so he keeps asking Pete to help him.
True Detective: Yeah.
Bo: And I say, hey, look, the I know what this looks like, but look, I just need you to help me. We got to get rid of this body Remember.
Duncan: I told you when you were freezing in the water right, I spoke to you all the way in the car. Remember? I told you that five minutes ago.
Bo: Yeah, and it's when he says something to the effect of you don't want to do this, and then he says, son and it's the moment he says, son, that you see the look on Pete's face change where it goes from. I like this whole thing has gotten out of control to oh how dare you call me that in this moment where and it's the like it, dennis. It might as well be Dennis Hopper asking for the cigarette and true romance, like, like Hank knows he is done. He knows he's about to die.
Duncan: I was. I'm glad you were going there. I was going with the guineast when she's like that, you know, like with a cradle, will fall, and he's like fall back. And she's like, oh, no, sloth, he's not.
Bo: You've been bad.
Duncan: It's how our brains work. Our brains just work different. But yeah, like he, I think he resigns himself. But this is this is what I said, this is what I mean before. He's either prepared to fully drag his son into committing a fucking heinous crime and putting down Danvers which he will have to live with for the rest of his life, or, alternatively, kill his own dad. Now I also want to stress as well I think, when there is a scenario here where Pete just hits him in the shoulder and Hank survives and he's arrested for what he's done, he didn't have to shoot him in the head Like just maybe a slight overreaction here, like he could have shot him in the arm, disarmed them and taken them in, but Pete chose violence. And you see it, though, hank lifts the gun, but his finger is not on the trigger. He's resigning themselves. The fact is going to get his. Is this suicide by cop?
Bo: Yeah, well, and he's, he like, prefaces all this with. Well, there's something that you should know.
Duncan: Yeah.
Bo: And like he's going to unburden himself right before this last moment. He says there's something that that you ought to know. I didn't kill Annie Kay, I just moved the body. And then he says, pete, I always love you. And then lifts the gun, yeah, and Pete shoots him in the fucking head, yep. And as soon as it happens, pete just kind of squats down in position and Danvers like goes over and it's very maternal, yeah, you know. It's just like, oh man, like you are fucked, your head is so fucked right now. And then Navarro shows up because of where she does.
Duncan: But Navarro like looks at this situation very much the same way that I imagine they looked at this situation when we were shot. And because she's like right, we need to clean this up and get rid of the body right now. And so they basically kind of they, they parse out very quickly a plan of like Hank is just going to disappear, like yeah, like they're not going to find the body, they're going to find nothing. He's just not going to be here anymore. And Pete, you need to. Like you Danvers at first says that she's going to clean and then Pete's like no, I should clean, because he kind of snaps it a little bit and I don't know like there's. It's kind of like like that's going to disappear. But I think, like I said before, I think there's a reckoning coming on the Wheeler case. I think it kind of has to. There's too much now. No, I think as soon as Doctor who found out that information and you've got to think that McKintrick will know about that information at some point it's out there now and someone has to take the fall for that. I reckon it's going to be her. But, yeah, like we end this episode, bo, with Pete cleaning his father's blood from the ground and being told to take the body to Rose because Rose will know what to do. Once again, rose is a real person. Like I don't know how these people like that, clearly, because Pete's not like who's Rose, that old woman that died years ago. But yeah, take it, the Rose will help you get rid of the body. We finish this with Danvers and the Varo in the cop car racing off to the ice through a fucking snowstorm. Credits, mm, hmm, oh that great fucking episode. I go right fucking.
Bo: Really fun, really fun episode and we've we've been mixing in some speculation along the way, but yeah, but I, you know, I think what happens is we go to the cave.
Duncan: I think we've been right about all of this, that Annie Kay was onto some environmental shenanigans, which has caused everybody to have these visions, and to see the dead in Annas, and yeah, and then it's just going to come, I think what is likely to be in the caves is evidence of whatever is in the water.
Bo: Yeah, just barrels of some shit or whatever, yeah that's to me makes sense.
Duncan: Yeah, that's. She came across that she, like she found out through a relationship with what's his face and that the NS station is drilling boreholes and storing the toxic waste from as a front Interesting.
Bo: So if that is the scenario, though, let's get to a couple of big questions. Yeah, I think we'll see what or what or who is the she's awake.
Duncan: I don't know. That's the one thing I do. It's the one thing I don't know. It's the one thing that doesn't make sense to me In my head. If the Salal Station is purely a front for this, then they have been helping dispose of the. I think those guys did die from a polar event or something. I think Crazy man went crazy inside the building for whatever reason. I think there was a power cut. I think they all went outside Maybe he chased them, I don't know and they froze to death and they were moved. I think the thing that doesn't make sense is the clothes, and I still think there's going to be, I think, to do with the cleaners on that one, but I don't think they were involved with the murder. Or, like the environmentalists, show up and do something, they sabotage the power supply to the building and they've worked it out. But I think the member I said before they took fingerprints way back. That's come to nothing but all those fingerprints. There was fingers missing on a cat. She appeared in this episode, by the way. She was in the London Matt when Cavick was there. Why is she back for like all of three seconds? She's in the background of this. I think she helps dispose of the bodies. Somehow, I think they take them away from wherever they are to somewhere else and leave them out there. I don't think that's that's not the mystery. I think the mystery still is what happened to Annie Kay, and I think that's ultimately what we're going to find is, you know, she went down there. She was discovered, maybe by the Salal folk. I think they probably killed her. I think it kind of destroyed the brain of her boyfriend, who became more ostracised in there. Maybe there's a confession to someone about it. I don't know that we haven't seen yet. And yeah, the you know people have taken vengeance.
Bo: Yeah yeah, I'm kind of on board with all of that, but also I, you know, I think both of us interestingly.
Duncan: We're not far off. I think it's just the. The who's walking out of this episode, yeah, is where we diverge a little bit. I just think Navarro, I think she, I think all the ghosts are trying to get her to go, whereas, like the other ones we've seen other characters interact with, just kind of live with it. So I think it's because the other ones that they're seeing are not ghosts or hallucinations. I think Navarro sees ghosts.
Bo: Okay, well, that's what I was getting to is are we going to get confirmation, or as close to confirmation as true detective will ever get, that there is, in fact, a supernatural element to all of this.
Duncan: I think so. Yeah, I think that I think. I think we, I think we in part have that. I think there's absolutely no way Rose finds the bodies without Travis crossing the veil and doing the fire. What would we dance out to? Where the bodies are buried? So I think that I think there is. I think this particular season is all but saying that ghosts are real and you can tap into that, the same way that you know fucking Rustin Cole could smell the psychosphere. I think it's the. You know. There's a tangible element that exists beyond the reality that some characters in this season can tap into. I think the only two that can tap into our Rose, aguinal and Navarro, are the only two. I think everyone else is seeing things because there's toxins in the water.
Bo: Okay, all right, that's my theory. Okay, I mean, I like it.
Duncan: I also think the, the, the, the noise that we heard in the caves of our screaming and the roaring as a polar bear, though. Yeah, I think that's the polar bear that loses the eye.
Bo: Yeah, right, and maybe Annie Kay.
Duncan: I think she survives, that. I think they save her. And then she maybe threatens them. They save her, they shoo away the bear, and then maybe she like, I know what you've done, that's why I was down here. And then they're like, oh, we've got to kill this woman, um, or something along those lines.
Bo: Oh, we got to kill this one. Oh boy, I hate when that happens.
Duncan: But yeah, like I'm in for this, this has been a quick, fucking six episodes. I'll tell you right now, but there's one episode left and they have to somehow cram it into an ever, which I don't know how they're going to do. Um need to answer a lot, buddy.
Bo: Yeah, I'm, I'm on board with you. Um, I feel like I've got a lot of questions and I don't need every single thing answered, but you know most things, I guess.
Duncan: Yeah, I'm going to answer everything, but if they could answer the main things, I'd be happy with that.
Bo: Yeah, yeah, and, and for the record, uh, I'm looking now, uh, one hour 16 minutes, so the longest that has ever. Oh, oh, we're getting extra 15 minutes Yep. Uh so.
Duncan: That doesn't my heart good.
Bo: So you know, little mini movie, not quite full length, but but darn near it, Disney link at least. Yeah, Uh, all right. So, speaking of Disney, Duncan, um, where can?
True Detective: I don't know um?
Bo: where can people uh find more out of you and all of your delightful uh family centric entertainment?
Duncan: You're. You're only saying that because you know that today I dropped an episode on Cannibal Holocaust. Um, yeah, so, uh, podcasts under the stairs, officially back after a couple of weeks away because I've been working away from home. Um, so yeah, um. Then a group of Italian collection reviews Um, the first one that dropped um on a tputscastcom or podcast under the stairs on YouTube or wherever you listen to podcasts, is on the 4k UHD print of Cannibal Holocaust, released by 88 films, which is jaw droppingly good. The quality on that cut is fucking phenomenal. Like better than that movie should ever look. Um, and yeah, so I, I, I did a review on that. There'll be more coming along those lines. Uh, speaking of Disney, though linking this back in um, disney acquired a company called Hulu and Hulu, as of tomorrow, the day after we were recording, uh, dropped the first episode of that show gun TV show, which looks fucking incredible. I have heard good things about that. That sounds good. That's how you get me in. So, yes, I'll be, uh, I'll be jumping on the the show gun band wagon. Uh, but, yeah, tputscast podcast under the stairs stairs. Just go, go like you'll find it Great.
Bo: Uh, and if you want to hear more out of this, uh, just, uh, drop by the dark paradecom. Uh, we have. We have shifted Duncan. Uh, we aren't doing crocheting anymore.
Duncan: Oh well, that's the last song.
Bo: Yeah, look, I think we can all agree. It was probably not the best option for a horror podcast to also do uh crocheting Uh, so instead we are now doing uh fish. So if you're interested in fish sales, fish preparation for sale, Great Lincoln to.
Duncan: I know we did last summer. Yeah, I see we are down both. Yeah, incrucnicity.
Bo: So, uh, please, uh, drop by and uh, not only will you hear more about, uh the fishmonger lifestyle, but also horror movies, and who doesn't like that? So, everyone's like all right, and so, uh, the last order of business, then, is for me to say uh say, good night, duncan. Good night, Duncan All right, let's go watch the finale.
True Detective: Yeah.