Welcome to the Soul Touched by Dogs Podcast, the show for dog lovers who see dogs not as toys or tools, but wise souls worth our respect and care. I'm an Herrmann, and I'm your host. I talk to poor some humans, people who do great work for dogs and their people. So come and join us for today's conversation.
Anke: record while we're laughing, because I love starting an episode with a good giggle. Well, hello and welcome, Alicia. I'm super happy to have you here. Want to do a quick comment from the giggle?
Alicia: Well, cause we were talking before and then we were like, oh wait, we have to press record. Cause I so enjoy, uh, talking with you so much and I'm thrilled to be here today. Um, so thank you so much for having me. Now I got the giggles.
Anke: I'm super excited too. So let's, let's kind of let's just get the people join the conversation. So where, where in the world are you based and you know, what's your business with dogs? What have you got to do with dogs?
Alicia: Uh, well, I am in Phoenix, Arizona in the States, um, where it's nice and warm today. I know other places are not as much. Um, and my business is called Who Knew Healing, uh, Knew with a K and it's a multi passionate. So there's a whole human side intuitive life coach, mentor, all that kind of stuff. But today we're going to talk about the animal side, which I absolutely love. So I'm a former wildlife biologist who is actually also an animal communicator and medium. And so how that reflects to dogs is I still get to be of service, um, in so many, which I'm sure we're going to talk about so many facets of dog life, uh, but that it's in the animal communication and medianship, uh, facet.
Anke: Oh, I find that endlessly fascinating. I can't wait to dig in there. So now the first piece I'm always curious about, like, in my understanding, that communication channel is kind of, it's always there and we all have it. But when normally in our, the way we brought up, it's not something we kind of encourage to pay attention to. So it tends to be like, A little cover, right? So how did you uncover it for yourself? And, and how did you go from that first like, Ooh, I actually could sort of sense something here. You know, what gave you the confidence to actually dig deeper and, you know, even offer that to
Alicia: other people? Um, yeah, so it's, it's, it's a pretty funny story when you look at it. I was born with this gift, um, but I didn't know it because it's when you're born with something, it's just how you move through the world. So I was always really good with animals. When I was a kid, I was always outside. I only played with stuffed animals. I didn't play with dolls. So I didn't have this sort of direct consciousness around of, Oh, I'm talking to this animal right here. It just, it's like breathing. Right. And I actually thought, That it was a wildlife biologist thing. I thought it was a science thing. I thought all wildlife biologists talk to animals. Because that's just how I functioned. And I was probably in my thirties before I realized, you know, and it, and it's changed a little bit now, but mostly then it was a male dominated field. And I was in the field with a group of guys and I was like, you all, you all don't talk to animals. And they were just staring at me and they were like, no. And I was like, Oh, all right. So you don't hear the trees and the nothing. Okay. So it was, it was quite interesting because, like I said, I always just moved that way. It wasn't a conscious thing to me. So, um, after that and then, When, uh, my life took a dramatic turn and I wasn't able to be a wildlife biologist anymore and some other things shifted in my life, um, my abilities really opened up and started to come in even stronger. And then I did some internal work to be able to do it directly, like for clients and that sort of thing. So yeah, happy accident. I don't even
Anke: know how to like, that's, that's like when you think like, doesn't everybody, you know? So how do you perceive? What animals like, you know, because I've, I've had, I've had animal communicators on this podcast. Right. And so quite often it's like, oh, well, I receive it. Sometimes it's a sensation. Sometimes it's a visual, like, you know, sort of, how do you perceive what the animals or even the trees will look like? Kind of say back.
Alicia: Um, so my two strongest are knowing and feeling, which are your claircognizant and your clairsentient. And then my sight and sound are right behind, which is your clairvoyant and clairaudient. Um, so, and for me, animals come in sort of two ways. One, they're very like matter of fact, right? That's the claircognizant, like, these are what I want you to know. This is what's going on in my body. And then the other time is when they come in with the words, but also the feelings. So I will have all the feelings in my body, which is such a gift to to be able to give to my clients because then they get to feel it through me. They get to, especially if we're doing a mediumship session and their animal has already transitioned, it's like they get to still have those emotions and that, um, emotional connection through me. And, and then they'll send me pictures or, or sounds or that sort of thing. But that's usually, it's the, just the, like, it's literally like you and I having a conversation right now is how I talk to them. And then, like I said, sometimes the feelings will come in as well. And, um, and then the sensation, like, if we're talking about food, right? Like, do they like the food? Uh, my, if they like it, my mouth will fill with saliva, like instantly. And I'll be like, we liked that one. And, or they're like, I'm like, they like the food, but they don't like the flavors. So then we run through the flavors and I'm like, nope, they want the lamb. They don't like the venison. And so even something really specific like that can, you know, have a dramatic effect, but they tell me very clearly. So it's just like talking like
Anke: that's fascinating. So, because I think one of, I mean, the pieces, there's always the two pieces for me, it's like. One is to actually perceive it, like to even like listen close enough to even like, you know, hear it or perceive it. And the other part is to trust that it really comes from the animal,
Alicia: right? That is one of the big, particularly if you're, um, so I call people like me left brain empaths because I'm super analytical, right? I was a scientist and there are so many times that any type of psychic development where that's sort of. For lack of a better word, frowned upon, right? They're like, you've got to get your brain out of the way. And it's like, no, we learn differently. So there was so much in my psychic development where I was doing things that just didn't work. And I kept thinking I was screwing up. And so there's this place though. And it's like, one of the things I teach my human people is like, you get very clear on what's a logical thought and what's an intuitive thought. And they feel differently. They have a different vibration. And once you get that. You know, whether it's the animal or a tree or any, cause that's an intuitive consciousness, energetic thought coming in versus your, which we love our brains, right? A logical thought. And that, that makes a really big difference. And that, and that grows that trust factor so much. Yeah,
Anke: I can see that. Like, and I've, this really speaks to me because I'm kind of one of those sort of in between, you know, like really strong left brain analytical and the arty party creative and whatever. So it's like, This really speaks to me. So do you, do you think that anybody can learn this? Is this learnable? Or is this a, you know, a gift that you develop? Or could, could I do that? If I wanted to say, Oh, I want to do that. Could I do that?
Alicia: Yes, I believe it's no different. We're all born with you know, psychic abilities, right? We're all born, born with intuition, all that kind of stuff. So it depends on how you want to develop it, which gifts you want to have. Um, there are tons of people who teach you how to talk to your animals. It's one of the things that when I work with my clients, like we're having sessions and say, it's a transitioning one or some health things I teach. I was like, look, you're going to know because when we have our animals, if we're, Depending on, because everyone sort of views their pets differently, um, like some are like, they're not family members, some they are family, some they are soul mates, you know, um, but we have that intuitive connection with them and you can tie into that. And because I have, one of my specific gifts is to be able to tell what someone else's abilities are, whether it's sight, sound, any of that. Then I can teach them. I'm like, okay, so you're going to listen to this, this, and this if they're clear audience. So I teach them how to listen to their animal or to get the pictures from their animal just in little bits, just in the sessions we're having on communication so that when they leave our session, Everyone always goes home with homework, regardless. They're not just dependent on me. You know what I mean? I give them a foundation so that they have that sense of safety and trust that not everything is like, Oh my God, I need another, but they're like, no, no, she taught me. Okay. I get calm. I listen. Okay. What is my, what is my dog doing? So I. I know that was like a long answer. I'm just very passionate about it. Everybody, and I will tell you, it is sometimes really, even for me, it is sometimes really hard to hear your own animal. I
Anke: was just about to ask you that, you know, if you have that emotional connection, um, to your own animal, like, will you, will your little monkey mind get in the way there?
Alicia: Yeah, it's the emotional attachment that gets in there because, and that's whether it's people or animals or like, that's why my clients are not my friends. Because my intuitive abilities get fuzzy when you're my inner circle friend, because I'm attached, right? I'm like, I want the best for you. I want, all those sort of things. And it's the same with our animals. Sometimes it's really clear. Other times you're like, why are you talking? I don't know. What are you saying? I don't, you know, and with my soul kitty who transitioned last year, Pip, when he got sick, he was diagnosed with diabetes. Like I was a wreck. And. Even everything I was trying to do, he was like, Mom, you gotta, like, you know, like, I would have to, when we go to do his shots, I had to be really conscious to pull my energy back so that I'm not coming at it like this. Oh, we're gonna do this shot. I had to be like, pull it all back so that we could do it. Um, and it's, it's just a different, it can absolutely be done. It's a different type of relationship though. I always recommend, whether it's, you know, this is something you do for a living, like when it's to, to get outside help just to validate, or, you know, just to triangulate that sort of thing, because sometimes we can't tell.
Anke: I guess it's a bit similar to how you don't usually coach your close friends or, you know, a therapist wouldn't work with their partner. You know, so it's like that same kind of thing where the relationship itself sort of get in the way. So what are the most common things that people come to you for and ask about? What is it that people want
Alicia: to know? Um, I get a lot of medical or end of life transitions because, uh, this is still considered woo woo, right? And so they've tried everything else. So they're like, well, I'll try the weird thing in their mind. You know, like that's, they've already spent thousands at the vet or whatever. And then they come see me and they're always like, I wish, I wish I would've come here first. I'm like, understood. Cause we work together. Like we're a team, you know, like you're behaviorist, you're trainers, you're vets, me, it's, it's a support system. And. Um, and you know, when I get those health ones or the end of life transitions, they're so precious to me because I'm able to, you know, give the information and those few months or a few weeks or whatever it is that you may have left, or even if it's not a end of life, diagnosis, um, working through a medical situation. When you have that information, it changes everything because now, you know, that your animal does want this treatment or doesn't want that treatment. So all of your worrying about, am I getting it right? Um, Especially if there's financial concerns in there. People have so much guilt over, I don't have the money for chemo or I don't have the money for a surgery. And, you know, sometimes they're going to be like, I don't want the chemo. And so imagine if all of that goes away. So I get a lot of guilt goes away. Right. And then you have like your last few months or weeks are so much more peaceful. You're doing exactly what your animal wants, right? You have that, those periods of just joy, even though it's a bittersweet situation. Um, I get a lot of behavioral, um, challenges as well. So separation anxiety, uh, a lot of rescues, right? People, which I love, they adopt from the rescues. And then we've got some emotional or physical abuse that we've got to work through recovery wise. Um, And so a lot of those kind of situations, which is great because we love when people adopt out of the shelters and we want to be able to support them with all kinds of tools.
Anke: I love that. I love that. So when it comes to like, say, end of life, like what are the questions? Is it like, is it time to go or what treatment or what are, the questions? Or what did my animal kind of want to say before they went? Or like, what is it that
Alicia: people want to know? All of those. So yes, if they're, if we're at a place where they're trying to decide on a treatment, like they've been given a diagnosis. So then we'll talk about whether or not the, the dog wants to have any of those things done. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, sometimes they're like, I'm in the middle. Um, and. And then there's times of the animal wants, you know, they deliver all their messages and they will not going to cry and they want to, you know, say thank you and how much they love you. And, um, and a lot of times, you know, it's cause one of the things my clients ask is like, when will I know? And I, and I totally get that. And so I will ask the animals, like, can you give us a clear sign? What is your clear sign? And so sometimes it's like, look, I won't run to the car anymore to get in there or I'll stop eating. Or so then the, the pet parent knows. Um, other ones completely planned. Like I have this, this one client, um, if you go to my, they're the dogs at the top. It's Malcolm and Angus. I talk about them all the time. These little guys, they planned their entire celebration of life. So like, it was about, I think two or three months we had when their owner contacted me. And the first session we're crying and we're laughing because these two little guys are just amazing. And they're like, no, no. One who is more rambunctious. He's like, I want to party. And the other one's like, I'd like to have a brunch because Malcolm is more subdued. They picked their colors of the streamers. Like, it was so, it was such a different ending process than like, what it could have Could have been. So sometimes the animals do that, where they're like, look, this is what I wanted to look like. Let's, let's have a blast. Um, I love it.
Anke: I love it. I think the, the, the, the guilt removal, I think that really speaks to me because I think I can totally see how that, I think, actually, it's funny, funny, like, I'm just still thinking, isn't that interesting? When, when my Leo passed, that was like, how would I know was my biggest concern all these years, you know, when he was getting older? And I'm like, How will I know? It's like, because there was always this conflict where I thought, well, I don't want him, I don't want to put him to sleep when he still has, you know, will to live and wants to live. But at the same time, I don't want to make him suffer just because I can't let go, you know? And, and I was always like, how will I know? How will I know? And boy, it was so clear. Like at the moment, it was just like, there was no doubt. And I thought, oh, that was interesting. And it was a feeling, it was a sensation. More than, like, he didn't sort of say a word, I didn't see, you know, but it was like, so clear. That, that, it was like, oh, that's interesting, right?
Alicia: And, you know, and there's lots of checklists and your vets will help you with that kind of stuff. And then there's, you know, I get a lot of them where, um, it, they're not following the checklist, right? Like your animal is, they're like, cause it's like lethargy and they stop eating and sort of the spark goes out of their eyes. And there's some animals, particularly our strong spirited ones. Like my kitty Pip was, you know, he was, except he stopped eating eventually, but he was like, What are we doing? Are we playing today? And I was like, you're not helping me because you're not following the checklist and, and there's a lot of times that animals, they do this where, you know, they're, they're not doing well. You think it's getting close and then they seem to have this recovery for a couple of weeks, right? They like start and you're like, Oh my gosh, this is great. And then it goes back down and that's so confusing for pet parents. But I think humans
Anke: do that too. I think it's the same with humans as well. Like when there's kind of like cancer or something, like the assist is like, Oh my God, it's getting better. And then, you know, I think that is, that is pretty, pretty common. So if somebody wants to have a session or work with you, like, how can they get in touch? Where
Alicia: can they find you? Um, so through my website, who knew healing. com and it's all done remotely, so it can be done all over the world. I have clients in other States, other countries, and, um, and I'm also a medium, like I said, so if your animal has already transitioned and you're still having questions, you're still wondering, um, please, please, please reach out because it can, it can make all the difference. I just had that happen. Like you and I were talking about the live event I was doing and there was a woman in, um, Her cat transitioned two years ago and she was still carrying around so much and we had just a quick session and she's texting, she's like, oh my gosh, my whole life has changed. And she's like, I feel so much better. I'm not carrying this around. Things she was struggling to do in her daily life two years later are now easy for her. And I was like, Oh my God. Yeah. So, uh, you know, the information changes everything. You do not have to be carrying around any stress, worry, guilt, your animals love you. They, whether they're in body or not, they always want to talk, especially dogs. Dogs are like, Oh my God, what are we going to talk about today? Cats are like, what are we doing? And then they're like, okay, the dogs are like, I love
Anke: it. I love it. Well, thank you so much. We're always going to pop the link. If you're listening to the podcast, it's in the show notes. If you're watching the video, it's just going to be just the bottom below and, uh, get in touch with Alicia and, you know, have a chat with your dog.
Alicia: Right. Thank you so much Anke. Thank you. Thanks so much for listening. If you enjoyed the episode, don't forget to subscribe, and leave a review so other dog lovers can find the show. If you haven't already, head over to soul touched by dogs. com and sign up for weekly doggy cuteness tips, recommendations, and personal stories to warm your dog loving heart. And if you know a pawsome human you think I should interview, I'd love an introduction. Email me at Anke. That's A N k E at Soul touched by dogs.com.