Trey: Hello and welcome back to another episode of MCU Need to Know a podcast dedicated to the Marvel cinematic universe and everything you need to know. I'm Trey!
Jude: I'm Jude! How are you doing Trey?
Trey: Well, Jude, I'm excited because today we are joined with a duo who knows how to rewind and relive all the best MCU moments, both on the big and little screen. Their podcast schedule extends all the way out to 2026, but we're so delighted. They found time to join us today. Welcome to the show, Al and Tony.
Tony: Hey guys. Thanks for having
Al: us. Hey, glad to be here again.
Jude: Yeah, I'm excited.
Trey: How's it going?
Tony: Uh, great. Now that we've seen the movie we're talking about today, so I don't have to avoid Twitter anymore.
Trey: Wait, was it you, if I remember correctly that you were like custom making Twitter blockers, I admire it
Tony: for the record. It didn't work, but I'll get to that.
Jude: Yeah. I stopped looking at Twitter and YouTube probably about Wednesday, like I had to get on, but I knew how to navigate it to, to also avoid, you know, so, so, so that's, that's what I did. Um, other a coworker told me. Hm, was it Thursday morning or Saturday or Wednesday morning? He was like, yeah, stay off of YouTube. Apparently the whole thing
Tony: leaked. That's that's what spoiled me. I'll talk about when we get to the spoilers, but just the title of something. Come on, man, you do is like, I love watching just random clips of stuff. So it was like, that was supposed to be my friend. You don't do that to me. You?
Trey: Yeah. What about you Al?
Al: Um, oh, I usually stay off of YouTube. Uh, I don't know why it's just something I've never like, got into just watching random clips on things. Uh, but Twitter, I, for months I had just been like seeing the little trending tag on, on the right hand side of the screen and it's like, Hey, here's a, some hashtag about something, uh, like one of these Spider-Man characters. And I just say, Nope, don't show me anything. I am not interested in Spider-Man I'm not interested in hashtag Spider-Man far from both.
Trey: And so we have to lie to the algorithm.
Al: Oh, I mean, I've been doing that for for years. I mean, I started doing that back. Avengers, infinity war came out on my Google newsfeed. I had to tell Google, like, no, I'm not interested in the Avengers at all. And you know, that hurts the first time that I don't like.
Tony: No. The thing is YouTube. I have a very carefully curated algorithm. Like YouTube is the only one I want to know. Cause I want. My videos. Like my wife started watching, um, murder, makeup videos, right? Women talk about murder while they're doing the makeup. And I had her make her own account because she was messing with my algorithm.
Jude: Oh, that's fantastic. No, I, I get the pain cause so on mine, I look at subscriptions and I'm scrolling through and it's like, I get two or three new subscriptions a day from my kids. And I'm just like, I don't watch this. Why is this? And it messes up the algorithm.
Trey: Well, clearly we're all very excited to talk Spiderman, no way home today. Uh, but before we get there, I wanted to make sure it takes some time to spotlight your show, MCU rewind. Uh, now if I'm not mistaken, you have recently wrapped up the coverage of Thor, Ragnarok, um, as well as done predictions that we were happy to join on. Uh, what's it been like working with Ragnar rock and getting ready for spring. It's
Tony: great. Regular Rocky knows one of my favorites. We've had kind of a bullet quality and tonal whiplash because, uh, for those who don't know, we don't only come for the movies. We cover every show ever intended to be part of the MCU. So we just finished in humans, which is spoiler alert for our podcasts. The worst thing Marvel has ever done.
Al: Yeah. I don't remember which episode it was, but, but we get to the end of one. And I think we both just said, this is probably the worst episode of any of the TV shows that has ever been. Yeah. Not,
Tony: not Marvel TV shows any TV show.
Trey: My, well, my favorite thing about that is just following you too. On social media, y'all were apologizing for having covered our downloads.
Al: Surprisingly did not change. So some people. And I felt bad for them.
Tony: People are say to us, they wanted to hear us
Jude: entertainment.
Tony: So like I was saying, uh, in humans to Thor, Ragnarok, which is an upbeat, happy, amazing film. And now we're just starting to coverage of the Punisher, which great quality, not the same tone, so no kind of whip
Jude: lashing back and forth. Yeah. So I, I can't wait to go through those. I started rewatching Punisher a couple of days ago and I'm probably on episode six or seven somewhere right in there. I'm going to finish that up and then just dive through all your Punisher ones. Cause I'd love that series. So yeah. Um,
Tony: I believe Al correct me if I'm wrong. I think episode four should be dropping next week. So we do one
Jude: episode a week. Awesome. Trey, you got to catch up.
Trey: I know, so there's a variety of reasons I need to catch up, but would punish her be okay for me to just jump in cold so I can listen along with y'all's coverage.
Tony: Yeah. I set up in Daredevil season two, where they introduced the character. So there is, um,
Trey: which I have seen that.
Tony: Okay. So yeah, jump, jump right in. You should be
Trey: well, that's fantastic. You know, I've been meaning to do this more frequently when we have other podcast guests, but if I'm a new listener and I have come to your show for the first time, uh, what do y'all think would be a great place to start? Is there any particular coverage that YouTube.
Tony: Well, it depends on your personality again, if you're a sadist in humans. Um, honestly, uh, my pride, the thing I've where I think I'm proudest of is our agents of shield coverage, just because I know it doesn't, it has a passionate following, but it doesn't have a huge following. And I just, I think of all the shows that we've covered so far, that's my favorite one because of how much work that team put into the connections through the Marvel cinematic universe with that? Unfortunately, I don't think we're super recently. But they are, they weren't yet, but they're coming. We know it,
Jude: but you had the drops already in one division, so
Tony: yes.
Trey: Well, cool. So yeah, if you're not familiar, you should definitely be following them on Twitter at MCU underscore rewind as well as downloading their podcasts, wherever you get podcasts, uh, on your platform of choice and the very handy way to get all of this is going to their website MC rewind.com.
Tony: Yeah. And where you can also find our complete schedule as. You said earlier up to like 20, 26, because dang it. We're covering
Al: it
Jude: all.
Trey: Oh, man. I love the spirit. Well, if you're listening and have downloaded this episode, then you know that we are going to be discussing, Spider-Man no way home, uh, in particular, our quick reaction. So the way we're going to handle this is we're going to have some pre spoiler thoughts, which is a chance for us to talk about the movie without getting into spoilers. So if you haven't seen it yet, but one, a taste of what the movie is like and what we thought this section is for you. Uh, once we're done, we'll jump into the spoiler zone where it'll be fair game for all spoilers in the MCU. But before we get there, Al what are your pre spoiler thoughts for? Spider-Man no way home.
Al: I really, really loved. Um, I really enjoyed the movie. I mean, it was, you know, some of the things that you get with like a third movie or the end of a trilogy end of a series kind of thing, are, are some of those things like, okay, let's, let's bring it back home. Let's kind of wrap up any loose ends of storylines, things like that. And you know, that's, that's a lot of that stuff is what we got and, um, it's, it's nice seeing that stuff again. It's nice seeing like, Hey, here's, you know, something that we we've, uh, kind of built up for this character and, um, at the same time, just, you know, at, at the end, he. Still go goes on, right? Like it's it's Hey, we're wrapping up this portion of this character's life. And uh, Hey, now you can also, at some point, see what will happen next? That will be, uh, a different storyline, uh, for, for this character and stuff like that. And so it's, um, it was great to, to see that again, you know, and I love seeing that in, in different superheroes stories too. Right. You know, the, uh, Ironman itself, right. When, when we got to the, the number three of that, that was its own wrapping up, although that was the last of those, uh, apparently we were getting more, uh, of the Spider-Man movies, so that's great. Uh, but yeah.
Trey: What about you, Tony?
Tony: I got ask you this question a lot today because I have a lot of coworkers who are into comic book movies, but, uh, no one who's irresponsible enough to go see a movie on Thursday night and then still go to work at 7:00 AM on Friday morning. So
Trey: you say you're responsible. I say, cool.
Tony: Thanks man. Awesome. I'll forward this episode to my boss. I knew, um, I was the biggest compliment I can give this movie is I was spoiled on every single big reveal. I still thoroughly enjoyed it. I was still surprised by the character beats and be touching moments from every major cast member. And this has a huge cast. Uh, this has everything. I think I've ever wanted in a Spider-Man movie, all in one thing. And I'm like, I'm, Spiderman's not, I love Spider-Man, but he's not even in my top five superheroes, but just like the history of Spider-Man is a character in both comics and cinema. I think this brings everything that I could have wanted an MCU Spider-Man, uh, together. So, um, you know, I'm pretty positive on it.
Trey: Yeah. That's a high, high praise, man. I love it. What about you, dude?
Jude: I thought it was really well done. And what I mean is like, I chew had a lot of the big reveal moments that I already knew about. And I know in the back of my head, I thought, man, what must it have been like for the person who stayed away from all trailers and managed to do that? Um, but even at the same time, I didn't. Not enjoy it, like knowing, like it's still, I still had those physical reactions in the theater of like kinda sitting up in my seat and carrying out, you know, kind of stuffs even knowing or expecting and knowing some of these moments. Um, so, so it was really well done in that, like even knowing I didn't have any of that taken away
Trey: from. Yeah. You know, I I'm so glad to finally hear this, because again, we've talked about it on the podcast. Whenever we review stuff, we try and keep our contact minimal. Since we know we're going to be talking about on the recording, but in the group thread that we have with Tara from there was an idea. You put a GIF of an angry Holt, and I had no idea how to read that. And I didn't want to. Probably any further. So I'm so glad to hear that. It seems like it was an excited hope Madden, Nevil.
Jude: Okay. But also a little context on this, it followed a link that you sent that was, I hadn't clicked on the link yet. It was some Reddit link that says what movie question mark followed. So I sent a text and watching credits and you sent it links. And what movie question mark. So I just started to send to Holt GIF. Oh, so that's oh man,
Trey: I didn't really, it was just a dumb video and I didn't even read the link. Well, it's non spoilery. So I'll put a link to the video in the show notes and you can hear how much of a miscommunication this was on. I went this whole day thinking you hated it. Oh, boom. Well, you know, for my preschooler thoughts for a movie, that's about Peter trying to live two lives. It's very fitting that this is also a tale of two movies. Uh, there's a part of the movie that's pure fan service. And sometimes for me, I think that dipped into some pretty goofy execution, but it also reaches highs that is on par of the fan service. We saw an end game and, you know, leading into this year, that was one of the feelings I had, that this was an end game level event. And so there's that part of the movie. As well, Al I kept thinking about what you had said on the prediction episode about how often that third movie is the conclusion. So to hear you bring it up here again, I wholeheartedly agree because it feels like the other part of this movie is the part that's the most impressive to me, where it feels like a nice completion of the trilogy that has started in the MCU. That was so much more Peter Parker focused than I anticipated and applaud the movie for being, um, it is a well. Balance between these two halves of a movie. And that's where I'll leave it before we jump into this worthy zone.
Jude: Yeah. Let's get there.
Trey: Yeah. I don't think we can contain our excitement any longer. So like we said, you're going to hear an audio cue and on the other side, it'd be fair game for all spoilers in the MCU. So we'll see you on the other side and we're back the way we're going to break this down is every time we do one of these quick reactions, we have a simple question. Did it meet your expectations? So Tony starting with you, did this meet your expectations? Um,
Tony: if you couldn't tell for my non-school review exceeds my expectations mostly because I've been trying to manage my expectations. You said a moment ago that was like end game level. And that's how they've been hyping. It. No, it like end game was such an event that I was like, I couldn't imagine, um, feeling the same way. And granted, I didn't feel the same way. I'm never gonna, I, I will be shocked if I ever feel the same way as I did when cap gods are the hammer, but. I also did not think I could be that excited seeing Andrew Garfield show up on my screen again. So, um, yes, this, this definitely met my expectations.
Trey: Oh man. Was there anything in particular that stood out to you the most? How.
Tony: Deep. We got into the five villains. I mean, granted, I think lizard was still left out of the wayside a little bit, but, um, they really respected the history of the characters and they, I was afraid that they were going to change the characters to fit the story. But now like doc doc arc is the doc Hawk from Spider-Man too. He's not just, Hey, a variant who looks like doc or an, um, I was mostly impressed by, um, because doc was the one we saw in the trailer first. So I was thinking he was going to be the main antagonist, but it was really Norman Osborn as the, I mean, they were on tankless, but he was the major antagonist and I was impressed how deep they went into his character. Um, this is a. MCU if vacation of Sam Rami's like simpler 2002 Spider-Man character. And I thought they did that amazingly
Jude: well. Oh yeah. That's really well put because they clearly just stylistically just, they were clearly them, but the slight MCU twist, they were able to put on these characters with the costumes, the writing, it was just, it was amazing. The depth, like you said, the depth that we got behind each one of these, which to be honest, I, I feel like we got more. Out of them, then we did the other two Spider-Man. Um, and I'm okay with that. Like they, they kind of relied on your knowledge of Spider-Man and seeing the movies for those two characters. Um, and, and, and that's okay. I think it worked. Yeah. I mean,
Al: they're probably also not going to give them such a big scene or big part of the film to take away from, you know, Tom Holland. Sorry. Kind of wonder if maybe that jumped in as part of it, but
Trey: I mean, you got to pay respect to Peter one for sure.
Jude: Wait, which one's Peter one,
Tony: we all know who Peter one is. And come on guys. We all should
Jude: have known who Peter, I
Trey: love his reaction to. Oh man. No, I I'm so glad you highlighted that, Tony, because that does feel like a very important part of this film. Uh, I recently had the opportunity to join Tara's podcast where we were doing, uh, Spider-Man superlatives. And whenever she asked what was on my mind about this movie going into it, the thing I said is I was curious what was going to be the thread that they pulled through all these villains to connected emotionally to Peter. Because outside of their respective universe as Tom Holland's, Peter Parker has no affiliation with these villains. And that's kind of the core of what makes a good superhero movie is that relationship making, taking the time to explore who these characters were in their universe, how they molded into this one and what it means for our Tom Holland, Peter Parker to save him, I think was incredibly brilliant on this films, um, to do list.
Tony: Yeah. Yeah. And the fact that there are, they are all sympathetic villains. And at this point they hadn't done anything to Peter and the fact that he and that may sympathize with them makes a lot of sense. They're not just fighting them because the script tells them to fight with them, which I am.
Jude: Go ahead. I was just going to say it also shows overall the whole. Idea just shows the difference, um, of where we're at now in terms of, well, if you think about the Maguire, you know, the, the time the McGuire movie was made, that we were still at a point where heroes one villains ended up dying, um, and our villains have become more complicated and they don't always perish at the end. Um, that doesn't mean they don't suffer some kind of consequence, but they're not dead, you know, and, and they're not the villains, not necessarily trying to kill them. And so that was neat to see that brought into, uh, what we've seen before and the, the Peter two and one, two, and one, two, and three kind of buying into that. And we're like, you're right. That's what we do.
Trey: It's a far more nuanced relationship that I think we've gotten before pre MCU. I think Tony has pointed out the flaw of my first question here in the spoiler zone. So I'm going to change it up a little bit. Al how did this movie meet your expectations?
Al: Um, you don't want it to be honest, and actually, um, it kind of exceeded my expectations, um, because you know, part of what Tony had said of, you know, so many leaks of what was happening in this movie and then, you know, you kinda have to fight yourself. All right. Well, do, do I want to just say, I want to believe this or do I want to just hold back? Uh, and then, you know, you start seeing some trailers and in your mind you're like making up, okay, this is, I think what's going to happen. I wonder if they're going to spend so much time on this, or if they're just going to jump into it. And, um, the reason I say it exceeded my expectations is like, I just kinda shut myself as a note. Just assume it's going to be bad now.
Tony: Not in that way, but like
Jude: MJ. Yes. Very much like MJ. Yeah. Owls are
Trey: the two letter club,
Al: but no. So like for example, um, you know, I thought that that whole beginning with, you know, everyone knowing that Peter Parker is Spider-Man and, uh, he was arrested and I assumed that was going to take up a lot more time in the movie than it actually did. And I was actually really glad that that was kind of a thing that they really just kind of jumped over. Like, ah, you know what, nevermind we don't, we don't really care about this storyline. Um, we, we got what we needed out of it let's move on to the fun stuff. Uh, and then it just moves on from there. And then we get, uh, you know, all of the other characters get, I think more. Um, more, uh, emotional time in this film, uh, you know, MJ, Ned, even Dr. Strange, he didn't really get that kind of stuff, but we get, we get a good actual playing of, of how he would actually do things, how much he cared. And then he's like, okay, no, I'm, I'm, I'm tired of dealing with teenagers now. I'm just angry. Go, go fix my mess. Uh, and so like, because of all that, like, it was great. Just seeing all those characters, just do what they would normally do in that scenario. And, and no matter how much how, how, how much of that film was already spoiled, it was still great. Just seeing all of that. Uh, and so, yeah, so I, I love that. Um, my absolute favorite, um, Thing that I did have spoiled, unfortunately, was seeing, uh, Matt Murdock show up. And that was great, even though it was just the one scene, because a lot of, uh, people have been saying that the TV shows though, Canada's the MCU and I've been holding out saying they count hoping that this means that they're not variants, that they're actually in the same universe.
Tony: And Al knows, like, I want to want it to believe it, but my faith was wavering. But, um, yeah, the fact that Matt Murdock in here and the fact that Matt Myrick was here, For one scene and they never showed him again or no deer devil never threw it up. And I'm not mad about that is also a Testament to this movie, which is so many other good things happening.
Al: Oh yeah. Yeah. And it's so hard to like, you know, you, you want to get yourself hyped up with seeing spoilers and then you start thinking, oh, well, if that's what leaked out, imagine what the, the, the really good stuff could have been. And, but you, you don't want to start like fanning the flames. Right? You don't want to say things like, well, maybe Tom Hanks shows up as uncle band or something like that. That would just stupid. No one wants who would say such a thing. Exactly.
Jude: I I'm going to just get in, jump in there and say, Um, this movie did not meet my expectations because Tom Hanks wasn't there. I just, I kept, I kept waiting and waiting and we over-hyped it. We didn't get Tom. We got, we got Tom, we got the wrong, Tom.
Trey: I will say this movie is so magical for a brief second. I almost believe Tom Hanks could have shown up and I would have been okay with it.
Tony: You know what? We did not get Tom Hanks as uncle Ben, but we got aunt may, his uncle Ben. And I thought that was actually better. Cause we got, we really knew her.
Trey: Yes. If you don't mind me cutting in line here, Jude, I can play off of that because I already mentioned that I thought one of the smartest things this film did was the time it took to connect Peter to those villains. I think the other smart thing they did was making aunt may the emotional core of this film, uh, having her be the one impart that wisdom to Peter of it's, it's not just the other universe has problems to fix this. What makes you a good person is that you should care too. Like I thought that was so moving and the way it all builds up to the unfortunate moment where aunt may is gone, that it just it's, it's the MCU news. And I don't want to trivialize it and just say like, oh, you know, a one-to-one here's this version of it, but it is that emotional loss for our Tom Holland's Peter Parker that I don't think we've seen outside of maybe Tony star. This one feels a little bit closer because it is aunt may and how much it was tied to his development. Um, so I think that's one of the things that helped reach the expectation for me. Yeah. I
Tony: think the thing about Tony Stark's death and its impact on Spiderman, it's also impactful on the entire world. So, um, yes, it's particularly tragic for Peter because he had that mentorship under Tony, but the whole world is feeling the grief. So it's not unique to Spider-Man as a kid. Where, uh, B uh, Ben or may, this is his unique, um, motivation.
Trey: Yeah. That's an excellent way to put that. Yeah. Well, dude, I, I, outside of your expectation of Tom Hanks, uh, how else did this movie meet your expectations?
Jude: It was one of those things where, cause I heard that right though. Like we all said it, you know, in game level and game level. I, I agree. I don't think it gave me the same feelings as in game. I think it has the same impact as in game, you know? And, and with that, like I think that was something where it met my expectations because it was this something. Um, and lasting impact, but it was still a Spider-Man movie, you know, like I it's, I don't know. It felt it was in a sound weird. It felt really grounded, you know? And well, I mean, like it, it was still like about Tom Holland, you know, and I, and I think part of that was, you know, w what I mentioned before about what we didn't get, they, they let us just use prior knowledge of, um, seeing the previous movies, or even as a seeing into the spider verse and, and, and relying on, you've seen this. So you have an idea of how this works, and these are the same people that are going to have similar stories and, and it was able to stay grounded in, um, And his story rather than having to overexplain a lot of things. Um, and that was one thing I was kind of worried about, but they did really, really good with it.
Tony: Yeah. That's one thing the MCU does better than most other movie studios Marvel studios does is they trust their audience that they're gonna understand this, um, traditional you play into the lowest, uh, where the lowest common denominator I think is the term is, um, try and make it as simple as possible. And don't do anything too over complicated, but now we are, I've lost track 26, 27 movies in and 17 TV shows. Um, I saw an article today. Uh, the audience can't probably could have understood these concepts a long time ago, but now the studio trusts us to do so to.
Trey: The amount of Goodwill they have bought up to this point, allows them to do things like have a wizard, breaking the multi-verse and, and, and being a part of this movie. And you don't have to do that much setup for it.
Jude: Yeah. Well, you know, and it's, it's interesting. Um, I don't know when this episode is going to come out and fully, um, but that was something Trey and I talked about with the most recent Hawkeye episode was just five episode five, where when the writers or creators have earned the audience's trust, it's, it's weird. It's much easier, I think, to, for, for them to meet my expectations. Um, cause I have that trust in them that they're gonna handle these beloved characters. Well, and tell a good story. Because I do at time in and time out,
Trey: you know, if I can add in another way this film has met, my expectations is I think it was kind of a worst kept secret that hollow, not Holland, uh, Maguire and Garfield would be into this movie. Uh, I think everybody was kind of leaning that, that there was, this was the direction it was going to go in. And Jude, I remember when we discussed it all the way back in January of 2021, we were convinced that if they did show up, it would be a small cameo. Part the fact that this movie found a way to include substantial scenes with them without taking away from Holland Spider-Man I think is part of the reaching the fan service highs that the MCU excels at, because the fact that it almost became, and I mean, this sincerely, I'm not trying to make a joke. The fact that it became almost group therapy for the Spider-Man to, you know, speak about what they've been through and share experiences and how to cope. I mean, it was, it was so wonderfully done.
Tony: Oh yeah. I, uh, one of the ways this also met my expectations was that it ended fixing the one complaint. Most fans who have complaints about the Spider-Man movies, it fixed that problem of, uh, him being Tony stark Jr. It sets them up as the Spider-Man. And we know from the comics and from, uh, Toby McGuire Spiderman as somebody who does not have that support system, someone who doesn't have money, he doesn't have those resources anymore. So we get the best of both worlds that we get them in this Avengers universe. And now in this upcoming trilogy, I assume he's going to be part of that street level, um, less resource, um, oriented, uh, character. And I'm just so excited for that. Like I Al I didn't text a lot last night cause we wanted to be on this show. Yeah. But one of the things I told him was I am more excited now than I was since like civil war, just by an entering the universe for more Spider-Man
Jude: stories. Yeah. Because it's really fascinating to me. And you said it has just as big of an impact or bigger than end game. No one remembers him. And what I'm curious about is stepping outside of the MCU world, I guess, is this a way to step away from Sony, from Marvel smart or Sony, trying to step away from. So that
Al: was actually my thought too. And, and I was, uh, that was one of the things that Tony and I were texting about, uh, last night I left this movie thinking that this is, uh, this is the end of Spider-Man in the
Trey: MCU.
Al: Yeah. Because I, you know, I, I had heard the line about, uh, you know, Amy Pascal, uh, at Sony saying that, yeah, we're going to make three more movies with Tom Holland. Um, but that, I mean, that's, that's all she said, right? Like she didn't say, yeah, these will, maybe these are going to be our thing. And we're just not going to have absolutely anything to do with, uh, any other characters that are already in the MC or something to that effect. Right? Like if, if he stays small, then he doesn't have to join some big team. And then that's a very easy way to, to keep them technically in the same universe, but a very different story. Uh, and, and I didn't know that also Kevin FIHI, he had come out and I was actually reading an article, um, like an hour ago, um, on a, I forget where it was, but it was an interview with, with both Amy Pascal and Kevin VHI, uh, talking about this and it, and it sounds like they are actually talking together. So I guess maybe, maybe there is something that, that could happen in the future. And it's early days, we have no idea, but that's really what I came away with thinking that, yeah, this is, this is just a separation, especially because, uh, you know, when we get to those end scenes, that the second one is just a trailer for the next, um, the next Dr. Strange movie, which we haven't gotten since, um, what was the captain America to
Tony: vendors?
Al: This is only the second time that that kind of thing has happened. So we're, we're so used to getting. Something else that's kind of world-building right. Some other link to something else, not just some trailer. Yeah.
Tony: But on the other hand, um, Spider-Man keeping his identity away from other heroes is a big part of him in the comics. Um, so I'm like, I'm excited to see those types of stories of like Matt Murdoch and Peter Parker working together as their Dublin Spider-Man, but also trying to make sure the other person doesn't know their identity, I think would be like an interesting dynamic for his. For Peter's
Trey: future. Yeah. It's very interesting to me listening to this were almost like a half full half empty glass that we're looking at, because I think I'm citing more on your side, Tony. I didn't read it as like, oh, this is a separation of the two studios. It felt like he's here to see. And, uh, Al I think I found the article you were talking about it's from the New York times and it was, I had the title, but it's behind a paywall, but the post has a quote in the title. And it says, uh, Kevin flaggy and Amy Pascal, and the future of Spider-Man were actively beginning to develop where the story heads next, which I only say outright, because I don't want fans to go through any separation trauma. And that was today, uh, December 17th. So there seems to be some active work together. I don't see a split. I am with you, Tony, that, you know, we've made jokes here on this podcast where the MCU has been terrible with secret identities. This movie got to have its cake and eat it too. In this first run. It didn't really make that big of a deal. Identity-wise for Peter Parker. But now it's almost like we're getting a restart where it is a huge deal. And now we get to see what that's like for Tom Hollins, Peter Parker in this universe. And I think the only thing I feel is an openness to jump between the Marvel studios world and the Sony's world. But I don't think he's going anywhere at this point. So at least that's what I took from how this movie ended.
Tony: I agree, because I think they could have ended it with, uh, Peter sacrificing himself by going into another universe. That's
Trey: where I thought it was
Tony: going. And if they really wanted to do that separation, there it is.
Jude: Hmm. So, okay. I'll be this person, there was a couple of things. Then I was kind of disappointed in, um, and the, and honestly the biggest one that stood out to me, I kind of giggled now. And I'm just curious what your thoughts are. I didn't like the new costume at the end. What?
Tony: I loved that costume. I was
Jude: so happy. I, my, I, I love the, the homecoming civil war, homecoming costumes so much like to me that I look at that and that's the Spider-Man costume. And I look at this one and I'm just like, why did they ruin it? So, yeah, so I get it. I'm probably in the minority here. I get it. But like, so I'm just, I can tell Trey likes it.
Trey: What I say next depends on what Al says. So I'm curious to hear what you say out.
Al: I, I mean, I know pressure, I don't think it's, I didn't think it was bad, but I mean, again, he made it like, this is the second one that, that he's made and it's been a couple of years. Cause he, he had really cool Tony stark made ones for awhile, right? Like obviously it's going to be a step down or like five steps down.
Jude: Well I'm okay. That the orange spiders one's gone. I'm just, okay. Anyways.
Trey: Good. I was going to suggest if Al was going to be on Jude side and I was on Tony side, if we could do a host swap and speaking of separation of university. Right. But I'm sorry, I cut you off duty. Where were you saying?
Tony: Um, the only thing I'm going to be disappointed is if he's in the next movie and the one thing I do love about the stark suits is the eyes, the moving eyes. And I don't see how they could, uh, they could justify Peter's homemade suit having moving eyes, but maybe you saw the spider of Peter's two and three, and it's like, you know, it's not that big a deal.
Trey: The only thing I can think of is because, I mean, the suit's not completely gone cause the, the mask was on the bed. Maybe he retrofitted those eyes to the new suit. Um, And just for the record. Cause I haven't clearly answered outside of what I thoroughly enjoyed that suit. Like it was so vibrant and, and it felt like he felt like he was coming straight from the comic book and I really appreciated it. It felt, it felt like it stood out in a way that I think the MCU stays away from because they do mute their colors a little bit. It was just, it was bold. And I appreciated that about it.
Tony: Yeah, it does see if they commit to that for an entire movie. Um, yeah,
Trey: there's always a new series.
Tony: Um, I do appreciate that in like three years of his life. So not counting the blip in three years of his life of avenging and being a friendly neighborhood, Spider-Man going, uh, finishing high school. He also learned how to sew. So that's, that's nice home
Trey: economics, man.
Tony: Yeah. It's disappearing from schools. So I'm glad they still have, I
Jude: really, really enjoyed my home-ec classes. I took multiple home-ec classes. It was Rossum. No.
Tony: Yeah, no. When I started high school, they had just gotten rid of it and I was the last class to ever have the auto shop and then they got her out of my high school, so. Wow.
Trey: Yeah. Did I date myself with those reference? I wasn't expecting, oh man. Well, do we have any more, uh, general spoiler things we want to say before we move into favorite scenes? No, let's
Jude: do favorite scenes because yeah. Yeah. All right. Well, Tony, unless, unless y'all have something to jump in, sorry, I'm just, I'm super excited. I'm just super curious to see if we all ended up with the same thing or how diverse this is going
Trey: to be. So, yeah, I guess real quick. Did y'all have any, anything else in the general score? No,
Tony: we can move into favorite scenes.
Al: Yeah. Yeah. Same here. I'm ready to talk about favorite scenes. All
Trey: right. Well, Tony, let's start with you this time. Uh, what were some of your favorite scenes? The
Tony: first thing that actually like not the first thing that hit me emotionally, but the thing that hit me the most emotionally I was surprised was, uh, Peter's three saving MJ and kind of getting that redemption and just the breaking of, uh, Andrew Garfield. Um, and MGA's reaction would be like, are you okay, dude? I don't really know, but you're crying over this, um, that, that I was surprised how much that affected me. Like I tear it up at that moment. I'm not ashamed to say, and I'm not a huge fan of those movies.
Jude: Well, you know what I was going to say. I teared up at that too. And I said, I haven't seen amazing Spider-Man too, but that moment going all the way back to the comment. You know where Gwen Stacy dies that I think, I think knowing enough about Spider-Man knowing that history, you're going to get choked up right there. Cause it's a redemption for the character all the way back to the college.
Tony: Yeah. Like a Spider-Man 1 21, but yeah. Uh, another, my other favorite scene is, uh, Tony defeating Dr. Strange with math or I wasn't talking about the best dark. I was talking about myself in third person,
Trey: Ironman.
Tony: I am Andy even do that. Cause he had Jervis to do all the calculations.
Trey: What about you Al you got some favorite scenes from this whole.
Al: Uh, yeah, I mean, just the, I think my, my one moment that I like think is just the, the absolute coolest part of the film was during that end fight scene. And
Trey: we
Al: see, you know, after, after the they've been fighting for a little while, they're getting their butts kicked, like, all right, we, we have to work together, trust the tingle and then jump off and swing together. And, you know, they're, they're all like saying it their own way. Right. We hear, um, Toby McGuire. We hear him do his, his, uh, famous woo and, and everything. Uh, and like that, that alone right there was just, it was just amazing, you know, worth every minute leading up to it. Granted every other minute has been great, but I
Trey: love that they even had that part where they bounced off each other midair, like they connected their webs and course corrected from that way, which was so.
Al: Yeah. And, and that style of like that Spider-Man fighting kind of stuff is like not something that we've really gotten in the other two movies, um, which is one of my favorite things about seeing Spider-Man and the way he fights and all that kind of stuff, which, um, which is one thing that I've actually really been missing in the, in the MCU. Um, and anytime we get that with, you know, this Tom Holland, Spider-Man, it's usually for like, he does one thing and then he kind of stops granted. It's it's usually, cause he's not like fighting a big monster or something, you know, like a lizard guy or something. So he, he doesn't, um, you know, use his tingle very often, but yeah, it was just so cool seeing that, uh, again, uh, and then, uh, Uh, well, you know, I I'm, uh, I really thought it was, it was going to be really cool, um, in the future
Trey: seeing sorcerer,
Al: Ned, and now I guess we're not getting that because I, I really enjoyed that. I thought that was great. I mean, he just got the ring, it started using it. Like he must've been some kind of natural and now that potential has gone.
Jude: Oh, is Hmm. Okay. Would, would they not remember strange and strange don't remember them? I think they
Tony: would. I was actually gonna think of that because like happy, still knew. May he just didn't remember Peter maybe? Um, I think like my thought would be strange. It might be like something weird is going on. Why do I know these teenagers? But they still know each other.
Al: Th that's one of the questions that I think we might get some answers to over time. Right? Cause like, for example, you know, at far from home, Tony stark
Trey: gave like legally
Al: gave what all of certain industries are like part of it or something he legally gave some. It's ownership to this random teenager that no one knows. And later it turns out he Spiderman. Um, like D does Peter still own that? Or is no. Is that, is that completely gone? Is that like, like throughout all time, everyone just forgot about Peter Parker now, and then that just messed with how things are. I don't know. We'll we'll, we'll, it's one of those things I think we'll get answers to later. I think it's going to be
Tony: like, Hey, that's clerical error. Obviously there's no person that Peter Parker, uh, like he has to, he got, he has to get his GED. Like his school records are gone. They don't know who he is. Oh,
Trey: that's a good call out.
Jude: Yeah, that's right. He is off the grid
Trey: because I mean, even to highlight that example of happy Hogan, just a little bit more, not only did he know aunt Mae, he knew Spiderman and knew him may new Spiderman, because that was, I was like, how did you know her? Oh, through Spiderman, same here. So it's going to be interesting to see how they navigate. That, because it's such a weird delineation where you do start to question, like, especially on strangest part, like how do I know these people? How am I connected to them? Yeah. So I wonder how much that will continue out in the future of the MCU.
Jude: So my favorite scene was when the movie started and then when it ended, um,
Trey: yeah, yeah,
Jude: yeah. One long take, no, I, you know what, I'm going to go with this one. Cause there's, there's a number of them I can pick out, but this one. I laughed the hardest at this, um, was, uh, Tobey Maguire back. Yes. In rolling. And my kin who went with me was rolling and rolling. And it was what I was shocked about was how few people were laughing at that in the theater. I was like, how can, y'all not find this funny? This was, oh my gosh. It's so good. Yes. The only thing that was missing. You know, like, cause, cause you know, and I like to rewrite stuff would have been doing that like somehow on the street level, before they went up to the, the tower and you had Jake Gyllenhaal was passing by like randomly in the street at the same time. Like that would have been so wonderful.
Tony: Um, or you think it's a total McGuire coming in and it's Mysterio back as like pretending to be a very in Peter Parker.
Trey: No that moment like stood out to me even more so, because I pulled a muscle in my back today day at work. So like walking into the theater, I had so much back pain. And then to see that scene where it's like me, uh, tell me why I was like, oh yeah, I got back pain. And Garfield's like, oh, I'm starting to develop a middle back thing too. It was oddly relatable, uh, for, for such other more like
Tony: a super hero. I know.
Trey: I'm so glad you pointed that out to you.
Jude: So, and then just all the, with that interaction with three of them, I'm trying to do their science-y things and build things. You know, and it was like Peter and they all foot, which one, you know, Parker Spider-Man Parker. Um, and then the other thing where I got a really big kick out of was when Ned asked Peter to, if he had a best friend, who's like catch it. And I, you know, um, and he died trying to kill me or, you know, something like that. Um, and I got a big kick out of that. And, and my speculating mind when over went off and I was like, oh, we're going to see Ned like turn on him somehow or another Ned show up and fight. So
Tony: yeah, it was, I was thinking about that, especially when, you know, they were coming through and I thought we'd get like hobgoblin Netherly it's since something like that.
Jude: Yeah. Well, my brother Daniel didn't even know about Ned being hobgoblin. Um, so, so I do wonder, you know, there is a bit of comic book knowledge. That people might've missed.
Trey: Yeah. Yeah. The only reason I picked up on that is because of YouTube and explaining that to me, uh, that comic book knowledge side of it, and it's, it's it's classic MCU way to handle it. It could just be a fun Easter egg nod, or it could be paving down to something more, uh, down the road.
Jude: Well, especially because Ned doesn't remember. And he's gone to MIT to be an engineer, and he's going to go and build a glider and
Tony: trade.
Al: And especially if he remembers that fight or something about it, he's already seen a glider.
Trey: So, yeah. Yeah. I mean, if I get a chance to put my writer's hat on for a time being imagined, if we're into the sequel of the new trilogy, where we're building up to this moment where Peter somehow finds a way to get Ned to remember, but when he remembers it doesn't cause a friendship, it causes a rivalry because of something that he may misremember or some kind of thing he places responsibly on or places that responsibility on Spider-Man. So there's room there's room for it to happen here in the MCU. Yeah, well, for me, one of my favorite scenes, it's kind of similar to yours dude. Um, but it's, it's more on the Holland Parker side and that's when he was working with the villains to cure them. Um, it is, it is such a quintessential Peter Parker thing to try and do the right thing, even though they're villains to try and help them before sending them back to their universe. So they don't end up killed. And the fact that he's able to save a doc doc and you can see that bond that they're starting to build is just wonderful. And the way it builds to that moment where you see, uh, the goblin turn on him and he picks it up with the, the spidey senses that's sequenced start to finish. It's just so well done. Uh, and, and, and is one that will stick with me for a long time. Uh, Another one that will stick out to me is you see Helen, Peter Parker wrestle with his rage, uh, and how much he wants to just straight up kill, um, Osborn for killing out may. And the fact that we see him slip up and he's going to do it, but it's Toby McGuire's Peter who steps in and stops him. That is just that scene will be burned in my memory.
Tony: Yeah. I always thought it's a good thing. We didn't get the uncle Ben scene with Tom Holland. Cause I put in believe that rage coming from him, but I was completely wrong because I believed that rage coming through him towards Norman Osborn.
Trey: I thought he was going to kill him. Did you, did anybody think they were actually going to kill Toby Maguire?
Jude: I was hoping, oh,
Trey: come on. It's
Jude: three. Right? Well, it's one of those things that you have that moment, you know, and Holland, you know, Peter one is going to learn something from this moment. Right. And it felt, this is one of the other disappointing parts is. Tobey Maguire didn't die in this. Um, because you saw it coming like, like him being stabbed, wasn't a surprise, but it's like, you knew that was coming. He got between them.
Tony: Don't turn your back on the green goblin.
Jude: Right. So we know it's coming. See, I
Trey: can never be a Peter Parker cause it was a surprise for me.
Jude: Um, and so, and so for that reason, it was just, it felt very rise of Skywalker. Um, how dare you, you know, with, with Chewbacca is like, we want to have that emotional moment, but we're not willing to pay the price for it. Uh, so yeah, so that's, that's, that's why I was disappointed in that.
Tony: Yeah. I just guess I'm really gullible. Cause like I thought, uh, Peter two was going to die. I thought two blocker was dead for a good five minutes. I was like, I want to buy into these.
Jude: Yeah. But, but that's the thing like, like if you're going to make that choice. To, to, to get an emotional moment out of the audience and out of our, out of our characters, go ahead and make that choice. Don't don't like pull the rug out from under it. Cause now you're trying to, you know, eat your cake and have it too, right. Where it's like, I'm going to pretend to kill off a character to get that emotional reaction and emotional moment. But I'm also going to save the character in the end. Um, and it kind of undercuts that emotional moment.
Tony: Yeah. I don't know if it would've come off as more cheap though. If Toby Spiderman died because like bring this care, it would have been perceived as bringing this character back just to kill him, to get the emotional reasons. So, I don't think, I think either way they went with that scene would have disappointed a larger group of people.
Jude: Yeah. Yeah. I mean, you, you could have just found a different way to stop
Tony: wet him from behind instead of getting between them, which is what I thought was going to happen.
Jude: Honestly, as he's bringing it down, the web stops him or something like that, you know? Um,
Tony: his gross internal webs,
Jude: I am a fan of the organic web. So
Tony: I know I'm just mentioning, I love that they acknowledged it. I was worried they weren't going to yeah.
Trey: Well, I think that's going to ramp up our favorite scenes. So we've got two pretty big in tags to discuss before we wrap this up. Uh, the very first one we have is we catch up with Eddie Brock, who is in a bar at a Mexican bar, and we see him trying to get familiarized with this current universe. And then is after the aftermath of the movie, teleported away back to his universe, but leaves behind a tiny part of the symbiote. Uh, so Jude, was there anything in particular that stood out to you?
Jude: I was disappointed in that intac in two ways. The first way was I, well, first I thought it was clever the way okay. We here's how we get the Symbio out and how it's going to go to Holland or Peter one. Uh, but at the same time, there was like this expectation of like, you're going to go to battle. The Tom Hardy venom and it feels like that's not going to happen. I mean, I know it still can, but he clearly like went to one universe and came back. Um, the, and so like that was kind of like, oh, that's, that's clever way to do it, but that's kind of disappointing because say what you want about those movies. I like Tom Hardy's venom, right? Like him. Cause I think he's a good actor. Uh, and I think as far as, you know, pushing the fan service envelope a little bit further, I think they missed an opportunity to have Tofor grey sitting at the bar next to them. And I think they should have done that. I think that would have been really a neat, extra nod. It's just, even if he's just sitting there right. And sipping on his drink, um, That would have been fun for me.
Tony: I, uh, partially agree. I think the tow for grace being there would have massively improved this scene, but as I've. There's nothing more on brand for this type of venom to show up in different universe and just spend the next 12 hours in a bar trying to figure out this universe.
Trey: Yeah, I think, uh, I think you hit the nail on the head on
Jude: that one and you think lethal protectors dump.
Tony: Um, and then, uh, I'm just gonna jump in there. Uh, if anyone's a Ted lasso fan, Danny
Jude: Rojas, I
Tony: so happy. Cause he's my favorite character in all his life, but it was also death. So it was this
Trey: I'm so glad you brought that up, Tony, because as soon as I saw him on screen, I heard that Danny Rojas, Danny Rojas.
Tony: I'm just curious how that symbio.is going to get to New York and, and how, um, when it does eventually get to him, will he have Tom Howard, his voice? Will he be carnage is, or, um, Venom's personality.
Jude: Ooh. Oh, I show hope so. I really hope so.
Al: Yeah. I think that venom works well in the MCU. Yeah. I, I mean, I'm, I'm sure it's very easy to make its way to New York, right? Like it's, uh, walking around, you know, wherever it is, it sees some flyers for, um, you know, some Broadway musicals. It's like, Hey, that looks like fun. Plays a, a plane ticket heads out, um, over there and, um, just accidentally trips and, um, takes over, uh, Tom Holland
Trey: complete. I mean, you
Tony: gotta be careful where you fall, so falling onto a Spiderman. Shouldn't
Jude: well, Tom Holland might decide to take a trip to Mexico. No one knows him anymore.
Trey: Yeah. Cut ties. And just go sit on a beach somewhere in Mexico. Why not? Yeah.
Al: And if he really wants to go ahead, I was gonna say it, you know, as long as if he really wants to separate his ties from the rest of the MCU, leaving New York is a really good way to be
Trey: heroes. Yes. That's a pretty big hotspot in the MCU.
Tony: And if you look at his track record, he's been. Six movies at this point. And only one of him them does he stay in New York. So he doesn't really like it that,
Jude: oh man, you trying to get to Boston.
Tony: It's hard to
Trey: leave. You know, I think for me, I, cause I, Tony, we talked about this when, whenever we did the predictions episode on y'all show where I'm begrudgingly watching this Sony verse, because it feels like, well, okay, I have to, I enjoy it because I enjoy Tom Hardy and I enjoy what he's done with Eddie Brock and venom. But I left that scene thinking, what was the point? Like why? Like I know we got the, the, the Symbio, but that was a lot of fuss to get him there for a post credit scene. Where are we going to happen now? A post credit scene universe where Eddie Brock and venom only appear in post credit scene. Cindy EMC here.
Jude: That would be. Yeah. Be a good bit. This is like a negative
Tony: thing,
Jude: right? I take
Trey: it back
Tony: across multiple movies. I want to see Morbius randomly show up in the post credit scene, the blade. I want to see craving the hunter show up in the Postgres, you to black Panther, to just have no impact on the story. They're just
Trey: around venom venom. I don't know how many people remember this, but whenever the movie Lilo and stitch was coming out, part of the promotional material was stitch entering in different Disney universes. Venom is the MCU stitch.
Tony: That makes complete sense to me.
Al: He's an alien. He wants to eat everything. I don't know anything else in the
Tony: ultimate universe. He wasn't expecting. Nope. Okay. Yeah. It's all coming together.
Al: Yeah. So my thing about him showing up, uh NFCU. I don't know why, like I, um, so my understanding from the smell was that people were coming who, from the other universities who knew that Peter Parker was Spiderman. He didn't know. Right.
Tony: Al I knew this question was going to come up from you. And I already had an answer. I'm so glad. Okay. All right. In the venom post credit scene, he said he's a hive mind with multiple symbionts and multiple universes. And he connected to the I of mine. Right? When it happened, he connected to Eddie. Brock's a venom and that's why he got transferred over.
Al: Okay. I like it. That works
Tony: cause otherwise, like, I didn't understand when I saw venom to why they were talking about the hive, mine connecting to multiple universes until we got the explanation
Jude: here. Yeah, that makes sense. Yeah. I mean, it really does. That makes total sense
Trey: and it, it puts, and it, I know we were joking about him becoming the stitch, but it puts him in a very unique position. If he has the hive mind across multi verses that he could connect here. Yeah. It, it seems like we can't see him pop up anywhere. He, we need him to be,
Jude: since venom is officially in the MCU. Now, are we going to get the denim, like build a bear or the venom, like plush doll, the Disney store or something?
Tony: Yes. If they can merchandise it, they will. So yes.
Trey: Death taxes and merchandise
Jude: added.
Trey: Oh man. Well, I think that's that we'll do it for that in tag. Uh, the second one, we got easy straight up trailer for Dr. Strange in the multi-verse of madness. Al coming back to you, what did you think about this teaser trailer that we got for the upcoming.
Al: Um, I got very angry that the movie was pushed back a few months
Trey: speaking the truth.
Al: Um, I mean, it looks, it looks good. Um, they, they told us what the storyline is. I'm looking forward to it. Um, I don't know if I like just getting a trailer as an NC. I don't, I don't know. I honestly, um, and I, I am curious that Dr. Strange, that we see the evil one. Is that the evil one from, from what F or just a completely different one? Oh, or something
Jude: we'll know later, I'm going to say, I'm going to say yes. It's what if I
Trey: believe so, too? Yeah. I'm, I'm there with you guys too.
Al: Okay. Well, I mean, if it is, then I'm looking forward to it more just because now I'm curious.
Trey: Well, and to kind of plant our own seeds here on this podcast, we have an episode we recorded yesterday that comes out at the first of the year. That's very good timing on our part. And that's all I'll say. So when you listen to this, keep an eye out or keep an ear out for that. And, uh, 20, 22. But, uh, no, I, I agree with you Al except I can, we have definitive proof of how hypocritical I am because in our discord, Jude shared a link that was putting a theory out that one of the post credit scenes would be the trailer for Dr. Strange and the multi-verse of madness. And I said, I would be really annoyed if they did that. I hope that's not the case. And Jude said, maybe you'll be cheering for it. God, dang it. He was right. I was so excited in my seat and I was like, oh, like, I was so excited to see all the clips of what's coming. And like you Al I am also mad that it's not coming sooner. Um, but in, but in theory, I do not like it is a trailer, but as the hyperexcitable person that I am, I was eating.
Jude: Yeah, well, cause okay. So the essence of those in tags in the way that we've gotten used to it is world-building and, and, and this wasn't that. And so I think, I think that's why, um, but finally getting to see this and just to see how wild is going to go. I'm super excited.
Tony: Yeah. Um, I. I'm super excited about the content I love I'm from what it seems. If we could trust anything in the trailer, which we all know we can't. But, um, the fact that Wanda doesn't seem to be the main villain. Like a lot of people were theorizing and I love one the maximum off in the MCU. It makes me so happy. I don't want her to be the main villain. Um, that said, I think putting a trailer at the end of your movie, even though the post-grad scene really dates the movie, as soon as it comes out as like, um, few examples. I don't like the Avengers trailer at the end of, uh, captain America. I think it's the postgraduate scene should be him waking up in New York. Um, I've been rewatching the matrix movies cause the matrix comes out, uh, next week. So there's a trailer at the end of the second matrix for the third one back to the future. Two ends with the trailer for the third one. And all I think is, wow, this just really ruined. The mood for the completion of a movie. And I don't like it when they just put a trailer for the next one. I want them to have a post credit scene that like, um, I think Jude said a world builds. I don't need just an ad for the next movie. And I
Trey: think because essentially that is what the entails are, right? I mean, it's advertising for the next movie, but what makes it special is that they dress it up as something unique to that movie. So another offender of this I think is ant man, where we just get a lifted scene from civil war. So it's it's, even though that's not a trailer outright, it feels like it of contradicts the mood that these in tags normally set,
Tony: although. That end tag and ant, man, I think I appreciate that one more just because it's not packaged like a trailer.
Trey: Yeah. It's a step above,
Tony: I didn't know, till a year or six months. I don't know the time difference between those two movies, but a year later that, oh, Hey, there's the exact. Which was kind of disappointing looking back, but it's not as aggressive.
Trey: Well, you know what it is for me. And I know this is a weird way to frame it because I rarely do marathons, but the idea of like watching through these movies and then doing it and like, okay, here's the, here's the chronological order of this timeline. You want to have those in credit scenes fit. And if it's a trailer that just completely steps outside the world. And if it's a repeated scene that also takes me out of the world, which I know is a silly way to look at it, but that's, that's why that one is grouped together for me.
Tony: Um, that that's actually a very true and I'm experiencing right now. Um, I have this, like, I, this thing is like, if I'm going to sit down and watch a movie, it's like, I can't just watch. Empire strikes back. I need to watch all nine star wars movies, or at least I have that mentality. And like the MCU is getting too large for that. I can't sit down and watch 27 movies and a bunch of TV shows.
Trey: So that's why you end up scheduled all the way out to 2026. That's right.
Tony: So I've been watching through all the MCU, not counting, like as much as there has to be say this MCU proper, the 20 something movies and the Disney plus shows, uh, just like I'm going to watch them chronological order. Cause I've never done that. And after I'm done, I'm just going to pick up whatever I want when I want to watch it. I'm not going to commit to doing this again. This is like the last hurrah and I just finished a black widow and black widows post credit scene takes place after the snap. It's like, well, that just really throws everything off.
Trey: Yeah. So what about you, dude? How did you receive this trailer? Multi-vessel madness.
Jude: Uh, I don't remember much of it. Wow. You know, like,
Tony: oh, you didn't say for your post-grad and since I it's rookie mistake, I get it.
Jude: Well, you know what? You're not
Al: getting invited back.
Jude: Well, I did find it interesting. Okay. Two things, the people next to me left and I'm, and I'm just thinking like it's Marvel, you know, something's coming. Um, also my thought was the lady taken up, our tickets made sure to stop every single one of us and say, oh, you're going to Spiderman. That's an amazing movie. You're going to love it. And there's two post credit scene sort of stay all the way to the end cause it's a fantastic movie. Um, and so they should have known, um, no, I just, I, and I say that more because it's the trailer, right? Like it is. I remember. I remember seeing it, if that makes sense, but it doesn't stick with the memory the way a world building in tag would, as you know, like, like I wouldn't, if you asked me, you know, oh, what were the in tag or the two end tags? I'll be like, yeah, there was, there was too, you know, um, but I, one of my just say was the trailer. I wouldn't tell you, oh, this is what happened and how it impacts. And, and all of that, like, like they could have just taken out the part where strange goes to Wanda's cabin and says, I need your help have that as the intact and be done. I think,
Trey: I think at one point that might have been the Intacct, cause it is it's the longest cut, I think. Or the longest continuous cut. Yeah.
Jude: And that's all we needed. And like, I remember that, but like everything else, there was just so much after a movie that had so much in it that it just, it just. It didn't stick.
Al: Yeah. Full, full scenes are memorable. Right? Like you have that, that pause on something in the background or whatever, right? Like you have the, the pauses in between people talking a trailer is, is flashes of things for a fraction of a second. And there's no way to get emotional about a lot of that stuff, depending on the trailer. Yeah.
Tony: No, like scenes are for post credits. Trailers are for our YouTube where people like us will dissect him, uh, for hours on it. And then we can really dive into it
Trey: only after we've lied to our elders.
Tony: Well, that definitely, well, you guys, I have a very specially curated algorithm that told me that, um, that started popped up with aunt May's death scene. That was before. So that's the last thing that got spoiled for me right before
Jude: the movie.
Trey: Well, just to quickly weigh in. I think one of the things that stood out to me is, uh, I forgot who brought it up, but you mentioned sorcerer Supreme, Dr. Strange from the, what if universe? Um, and then the other one, something I was surprised, like I knew he was coming back, but to see Mordo as playing a very prominent role in seemingly in the plot line makes me so happy because as much as I enjoyed the original Dr. Strange movie, it was quickly becoming really packed. And I didn't know if he would see continuations from his movie, but it seems like with Mordo being the center of the antagonism, that it will be a continuation of Dr. Strange. It was 20 17, 20 16. Yeah.
Tony: 2016. Yeah, 16. Um, I just now believe after infinity war and game, and now no way home, uh, there's no limit to how much stuff they can pack into a movie and make it.
Jude: Yeah. Well, and I think that's part of, again, my friend Sean said it was like, he enjoyed it more the second time, because of so much stuff thrown at you. Um, and, and the way that they found. Packet full of things and make it work is just amazing.
Trey: Yeah. Well, I think we are getting a pretty quick glance at our reactions to this movie, but, uh, I want to make sure we take some time for stray thoughts before we wrap this up. So, Tony, uh, do you have any stray thoughts or this film? Um,
Tony: I can't wait to go see it again. Uh, no, no. I'm going to have to actually use this thing because we're not going to record our MCU rewind episode with you guys for a couple of days. So I actually have to think of new thoughts to bring into the next episode. So I'm going to keep my stray thoughts for that one.
Trey: Is it good teas?
Jude: Sounds like you're, you're going to need to rewatch.
Tony: I'll rewind it.
Al: And, uh, I, I don't do second takes, so I'm just going to say everything now. Repeat that. And a few days, one
Trey: takeout cut the 10, I just leave.
Al: No, you know, I really hope that someday in the future we maybe get some kind of glimpse of what life was like for these
Trey: other characters
Al: that went back to their universe. Right. Like, you know, doc Hawk say, um, you know, became good and, and all that stuff. Right. All of these characters were essentially cured. Right. Um, but then they go back and die or not like what, what, what happened? What was their universe just very changed. So I'm curious. Um, I would love to know what, what happens there with that. It's a new time.
Tony: Once
Jude: it's watch a multiverse.
Al: That's true. So separate timeline. So the, the, the original ones going for their, their original one's going, but now they haven't modified one multiple modified ones, I guess, is, are multiple fields. Okay. Uh, this is why I hate time travel. Um,
Jude: what'd the kid. You can't think of it as time travel. You got to think of it as, as creating new universes.
Tony: I just think about the sadness that Toby McGuire is going to have going back. I saved Norman. Um, Harry's going to be alive again and everything. Oh, it's still is okay. I guess it's the same.
Al: Do you, do you think the Andrew Garfield Spider-Man like went back and then he realized, wait a minute. That's he S he said, That's spell brought everyone who knew Spiderman back and some of them were dead. Did he miss out on his chance to sequence Stacy again, that's going to haunt us forever. Um,
Tony: wow. I just hope he never realizes
Trey: dang knife to the heart. Yeah. Then
Al: he's going to go off, learn magic. You'll become the source of Supreme. Uh, and then he'll end up destroying his entire universe. Uh, like we saw in what if,
Jude: wow.
Tony: Um, I will pick up that stray thought because it just occurred to me. So I know, hopefully I didn't lose my chance. I really want to see an amazing Spiderman three now or him to show up in the Vietnam universe. I feel like this movie has redeemed Andrew Garfield for me, and I really want to see more of a Spiderman for the first. Since 2012, when the amazing siren that came out.
Jude: Okay. So I'm going to just play off of that. And here's my question. Um, my brother Daniel, my brother angel said that his actual favorite, like in a, like just looking at the different franchises, his favorite Spiderman is still Tobey Maguire. Um, but he thought in this movie Garfield's stole the movie and that was the best portrayal of Spider-Man in this movie was Andrew Garfield's. Um, would you, do you guys agree with that? Who was your favorite Spider-Man out of this movie? So
Al: I, I think part of that question is, um, like Spider-Man the hero versus Peter Parker, right? Like, I, I, I think that there, you know, there are different personalities and they both play them really well. Uh, and I always liked. The, the Andrew Garfield, like he, he's the, he's the guy who tells the jokes. He has all those quips. Um, but as like Spider-Man himself, I think overall I liked the Toby Maguire version more. So like, like what, what part do you, do you give more weight towards one aspect? Um, or do you like lump them together or just say like, you know, I like, I like non costume Peter over here and then costume dove over here,
Jude: but no, no, no, no. Like in this film alone in this film? Yeah. Oh yeah. Why? He said he, he said his favorites Toby in this movie, not thinking of anything else. He thought Garfield stole the show was the best one. Oh, I agree. Yeah.
Tony: I think, um, like I agree with your brother that, uh, Garfield stole the show. I think that Tom Holland is still my favorite out of these three Spider-Man in this movie. But this version of Andrew Garfield Spider-Man is the best. This Spiderman can be the emotional kind of spastic. Peter Parker is like, this is the perfect distillation of his character. And I think, yes, he stole the show and yes, this is his best performance as a character, but I don't think he's the best Spider-Man in this.
Trey: Yeah, I, and this is I'm 100% MCU Homer in this one. If, if the question is what's one of these three, what is my favorite in this film? It's still Holland, just because of the focus. Like even though there are some great moments and I would say Andrew Garfield, I think is having the most fun being back in this Spiderman role between, uh, Garfield and McGuire. I'm here for Holland. So it's still like, that's still my favorite of these three because of the emotional journey and the humor we get to go on with the Tom Holland.
Tony: I think the only person who could have given Holland the run in front of the money, his money in my mind was if Peter B. Parker from
Jude: Spider-Man, whatever shut up
Tony: is an older, heavier Sater Spider-Man is
Trey: what we need. Then I will definitely find one to relate to you.
Jude: I
Tony: think that's why as a guy in his thirties now that's my favorite version of spark.
Trey: Yeah. Jake, Johnson's my hero tier. So that's just the one-to-one but at YouTube, how do you answer that question? I
Jude: say, I think there's some bias on my part as I enter that is that it would be Tom Holland. Um, and, and because I think of those three, he's the complete package for me. He's my favorite, um, followed by. You know, and I, I got to give Garfield a better, a better shot. I say, follow my Toby then by Andrew, because I haven't seen the second amazing Spider-Man um, I didn't like the first one or not enough to go see the second one, if that makes it, like, I enjoyed it, but it wasn't like, oh, I can't wait to go see the second one as I did with Toby McGuire in the MCU ones. Um, I would agree though, that Garfield was so good. Um, there, there was moments where I thought Toby Maguire, the way you said it, like the Garfield looked like he was having fun and Toby almost looked a little forced in some places, um, in, in his performance. And I, and I think that was part of trying to play and more aged Spider-Man is, is the feeling I got. So yeah, so definitely Garfield was good. Uh, but I'm going to have to, for me say Holland was, was the best in this.
Trey: So brother Daniel's rolling his eyes pretty hard at us right now, honey.
Jude: Well, I told him I was going to bring this up.
Trey: I could see them getting like annoyed that we didn't give a middle answer praising all three.
Jude: Well, you know what, here's the thing I, I told them. He asked me, you know, should you should ask him, bring it up. I was like, I will, I will. Um, uh, it's like, I don't want the back of my mind. It's like, you really enjoyed Zack Snyder's justice league. And so so, but I actually, and I told him, I would say that on the fly too.
Tony: You know what, when you asked this question, exact times just league came into my mind because, um, I think just like the amazing Spider-Man movies, those are very interesting takes on the characters, not my cup of tea, but the fact that they're like considered, at least for awhile, they were the only takes on the characters is what disappointed me. So back when we were talking about amazing Spider-Man and my disappointment back in those days, because it was the only official. Spider-Man um, now that we can have a, multi-verse both in the Marvel universe and the DC universe, we can have multiple Batman's, which we are, we could have multiple Spider-Man's, which we see, hopefully I'm written now I want Garfield back. So I'm hoping that they throw him into the venom verse, but it's just like the fact that I can enjoy, um, Ben Affleck's Batman, and I can enjoy, um, uh, Andrew Garfield Spider-Man because they're not the only one. They're not the only flavor of those heroes. We get, we get a variety
Jude: now. Yeah. And that's well, put.
Trey: Tony the, the, the great negotiator here, but three bucks.
Tony: Hello there.
Trey: Oh, man. I don't know. I'm going to jump in here with my straight thoughts. Cause I got one goofy one and one bigger one and I'll play off what you just said, Tony, about the multiple iterations. Um, I'm actually very curious, um, going into this movie so much of the talk was the multi versus breaking the multi versus you know, going to be forever changed. And that's how it's going to impact the MCU moving forward. It feels like they tidy it up. Like if they, they fixed it and it does seem like it will have repercussions in multi-verse of madness, but it didn't leave us outside of maybe a little bit of. With different universe characters stuck in the MCU. So I'm wondering how much the multi-verse is playing into the grand scheme of things, or if this is just a stint in the overall roadmap of what we're going to for the next 10 years. So I don't know if anyone else feels that way or I'm
Jude: I'm with you because we know it's coming, but now it feels like it's never going to get there. Um, you know, cause what was it, one division and we're broken and low-key and king and you know, oh, I guess it's going to be Dr. Strange, especially from the way they use the, they cut the trailer. Right. Um, it looked like this is what's going to break it wide open and then it's like, oh no, it didn't. Um, and so it, it, it now for the Dr. Strange trailer, it's, you know, it seems like, okay, so that's where the multi-verse gonna break open and. But now it feels like, well, it's already broken because if it's the strange from what if and, and so it's, it's, you know what, and what's really weird is, I mean, if you want to try to get technical about it, the, the, the, the multi-verse exists. It's it's when are they going to finally embrace this jumping back and forth?
Tony: So, yeah. Yeah. I think the, one of the things we're going to see in the MCU is the multi versus broken, sorry, Sylvia broken. But, um, I think we're going to see the repercussions from this university. We'll get some excursions outside the universe, like Marissa madness, but it's mostly going to be external people coming in. Um, just because they want to keep with the characters that we already know.
Trey: My only pushback on that is yes, the multi-verse is broken because of what Sylvie's done. But so far the lasting effects of that is within its own MCU franchise. It feels like we've had other franchises come in and then go back. So I'm wondering if that they will fully meld or if it's just going to be visits, but we stick within the own. Cause you have the, what if universe and you have the live-action universe, it feels like those are the only ones that are permanent. So. And maybe I'm just being pedantic, but that's the only pushback I got to to, yeah.
Tony: I think we're still early days. Um, I mean, think about when we saw the Avengers, could we predict what end game was going to be like? No, I think it's, we're. I think we're going to a, maybe a secret wars or something like that. 10 years down the road, and it's going to be a lot of building. And when we watch these back in 10 years is gone. It's going to feel like it goes fast because we don't have to wait six months to a year between each installment. But right now it's, it feels very piecemeal because we're living in real time. That's
Trey: true. Well, cool. Uh, to throw out my goofy, straight thought, uh, whenever the trailer first released, I remember there was a lot of talk about how no pun intended strange doctor strange felt within that trailer. And I know one of the things that I specifically zoned in on was how, like, just visibly, like his hair looked different. It struck me today. The reason why that's the case for me is because despite multiple appearances of Steven strange, he's only had one solo outing. And that's the only one I think we've seen where he's not distressed and the middle of action. So I'm not used to seeing him with well kept hair. So that's why he looks grades and the sanctum sanctorum. So he's been a busy guy, well, less busy now
Jude: that he's not well. And I just, I just want to add one thing. Um, Matt Murdoch, his hair was a little bit different than that. I remember for the Netflix series, but that's all, uh, I was watching,
Tony: I was watching one of those, you know, Easter egg videos. I can't remember the screen crusher, someone put out today and it was like, uh, Jimmy Fox is electro is a variant because he had a comb-over in the previous movie and has different hair. Now it's like, come on guys. If he can turn into electricity and come out, he can change his hair in there.
Al: He could have a wig.
Jude: No, no, I know it's not a variance it's but you know, and I do, I do wonder if that's, if that's an intentional choice though, and Murdoch and a separation of the Netflix series, or was that just, Hey nerd, boy, you need to calm down, like, you know what you said, it could be, you know, that as well. So
Tony: I think all will be revealed in the finale of Hawkeye, which depending on when this drops or may have already been revealed.
Trey: If you would've told me when I wrote my joke, stray thought about Dr. Strange his hair, that we would actually have more to add to that about other people's hair. Never would have guessed it. So I'm so glad you all are on this to discuss it and flush that out.
Tony: Hey man, there's no thing too pedantic for, for podcasters to get into.
Jude: True. This is true. Oh man. Well, I think that's
Trey: going to wrap it up Al Tony. I want to say thank you so much for joining us to do these. Spider-Man no way home reactions. Oh,
Al: anytime it was a lot of fun
Tony: guys. Thank you for having us.
Jude: Thank you for, thank you for jumping on and looking forward to, to. Tallying up points on yours.
Tony: Yeah, I'm guys, I'm not optimistic about my championship anymore. I haven't gone back and looked at the answers, but I haven't
Al: thinking feelings.
Trey: If you're interested in that, make sure that you are following, uh, Alan Toni on Twitter at MCU underscore rewind as well as subscribing and downloading to their podcast. MCU rewind wherever you download your podcasts. And if you want to have a handy link for all of that MCU rewind.com. Uh, as we've talked about here, uh, multiple times we will be joining their show again to tally up the points we got from our predictions episode. So we'll link to the prediction episode in the show notes, as well as your other socials. Uh, As far as this show goes, if you want to get in touch with what we thought about this episode or what you thought about no way home, you can always reach us at MCU need to know on Twitter and Instagram. Uh, we have been doing great work to put up our priest boiler thoughts when it comes to the series a we give people the opportunity to vote on whatever quote will be our episode title as well. Some extra content that we think would be great supplements. So if that's interesting to you, make sure you're following us on those social sites,
Jude: scroll down and in the show notes, click on the link for the discord, a wonderful community there to discuss all things, Marvel, um, and a wide variety of other pop culture. And. Just things we like to talk about, uh, make sure in the Marvel section, you click on the roll aside and the eye emojis. Cause that'll get you access to all the spoiler channels. And of course the best thing you can do for us is share with a
Trey: friend. Yeah. We'd also like to thank Nick Sandy for the use of our theme song, which is his rendition of the Avengers theme. You can find more of his work on his SoundCloud, which is also linked in the show notes. Well, that's going to do it. Thank you so much for listening, Altona and Jude. Thank you so much for doing this.
Jude: Thank you, Trey. Thank you guys anytime.
Al: Yep.
Trey: Thank you. We'll see you all next week. but yeah, I expect it to be just kind of free flowing since I'm. I know I just saw it today, so to Jude and I think you two saw yesterday.
Tony: Yeah, we was all last night.
Jude: Yeah. Nice. Yeah. So buddy of mine went yesterday at three and as soon as he got out, he drove to another theater and watched it, like he saw it, he saw it at three and then again at six 30, it just,
Tony: so that's the way to do it. I, I actually did that. Uh, Spiderman three. I saw two times within 24 hours. Not because it was so good, but. Uh, Spiderman three, like the Raimi Spider-Man one. Yeah. Um, because I had, was going to go see it and then my buddy couldn't get off of work until much later that night. And I was like, fine, I'll go see it twice in one day. I'm sure it's going to be great. The Spiderman problem,
Trey: man.
Jude: How can I be bad?
Tony: The worst thing was going into the second time and I didn't want to ruin it for him. Like, I didn't know if it was just a me thing. Maybe I'm the only one who didn't like it, so I didn't want to ruin it for him. So it was like trying to get on it. Yeah. It's you'll probably have fun, man. Let's just go in. Let's see it.
Jude: Yeah. Yeah.
Trey: Oh man. That's
Al: so funny. So as I was leaving the theater last night, um, like I overhear a group of people talking just outside the theater and I hear one guy saying, well, I guess now we have to go by Spiderman three. That's the only, uh, Marvel related, uh, DVD. I don't own,
Jude: well,
Trey: you didn't want us to them for owning amazing. Spider-Man too.
Jude: Right. Like I still haven't seen that movie.