About this episode: In this episode, I have the pleasure of talking with one of the most successful newsletter creators. Maximillian Rofagha of Finimize. Finimize has over 1 million subscribers and has expanded into a community and mobile app. We'll be discussing the best growth channels for your newsletter from 0 to 1k, 1k to 10k, and 10k to 100k subscribers. We're also going to dive into Finnimize's newsletter format and why Maximillian chose to structure in that fashion.
- There's no silver bullet to newsletter growth. It's always a combination of multiple avenues and strategies. Find the strategies that work well for your newsletter by experimenting.
- As you grow your newsletter, certain growth avenues will work better than others.
- Great content will lead to great word-of-mouth growth.
- Friends, family, and professional network should always be the first channel for growth. It'll get you your first subsriber and maybe even your thousandth subscriber.
- Growth Steps: Friends, family, professional network -> Featured in blogs -> Product Hunt/Community posting -> Referral program/Word of mouth -> Campus ambassador program -> Cross-promotions
- As your newsletter starts gaining traction start reaching out to blogs for cross-promotion. Have them feature your newsletter. It'll help give your newsletter passive growth as well as added SEO via a backlink from that blog.
- One really easy and desired referral reward is a special weekend newsletter edition.
- Cross-promotions can provide massive results if you find the right partners. Make sure there's customer-market-fit with who you're cross-promoting.
- You can get to 1+ million subscribers without spending any money.
- Growth from 0 to 1k subscribers is all about manual growth work. Reaching out to blogs, influences, Quora, Reddit, etc. Do what's unscalable.
- If you have more of a general newsletter, then a campus ambassador program could provide solid results.
- As your newsletter grows and matures, layering on and compounding different growth channels will get you to that next milestone.
- The subscribers you onboard with an ambassador program are higher quality compared to some other channels.
- Doing the unscaleable growth tasks will start compounding.
- An ambassador program can work with a niche newsletter but you'll need to think about where that audience frequents. That could be at specific conferences, Meetup groups, etc.
- Subscribe to newsletters within a certain niche, find what you don't like about it (could be format, content, etc) then create your own and fix those problems.
- The format of your newsletter plays a huge role in how sticky it will be and if readers will continue to subscribe and engage with it.
What is Newsletter Crew?
A podcast focused on helping you become a more successful newsletter creator. Every week we interview a newsletter creator and dive deep into their newsletter based business to extract actionable insights for our very own newsletters.