Trey: hello and welcome back to another episode of MCU. Need to know a podcast dedicated to the Marvel cinematic universe and everything you need to do. Um, the tap stream. Oh,
Jude: using our made up names and I'm J Hubud. How are you doing tap?
Trey: I gotta be honest. I am not as excited as I normally am. Just because Moonlight was a lot more violent than we were anticipating.
Jude: Yeah. It was rough. It was super rough. I didn't get, I didn't get through it in one
Trey: lunch. Yeah. It's surprising how quickly that white costume turned out. Not to be white by the end.
Jude: Right? Just the blood tripping off of it before I wasn't expecting marvels version of saving private Ryan, you know, it just, it just wasn't. But
Trey: yeah, I think that might be the most diplomatic way to put it, especially given what we are going to be talking about here today. Uh, If you downloaded this episode, you know, we're going to be talking about spidey and his amazing friends. This idea really was sparked when I was hanging out with my younger nephew and we watched this and I immediately had to text you and be like, we need to cover this. This might be the answer to how uncomfortable we were with moon night.
Jude: Yeah. But, and I think you're spot on. Like, I went to it, I signed in, uh, got her my youngest account. Right. Cause it's, you know, it's in the kid's version and stuff, but like, I think, I think when it first started, my jaw dropped, I was actually surprised at how well done it was.
Trey: I think we're both super excited. Why don't we go ahead and jump into the spoiler zone so we can go ahead and discuss it in full detail? Yeah, let's do that. Yeah. So we're going to go ahead and jump there. You're going to hear an audio cue and on the other side, it'll be fair game for all spoilers in the MC. We'll see you on the other side and we're back. So the way we're gonna break this down is essentially there are two main stories. In this episode, you have spidey to the power of three and Panther patients. So Jude, I'm gonna throw it a year. Within these two stories. Where would you like to start?
Jude: I, first thing I do is I got a shout out to the intro music. Yeah. Cause I mean, it's a kid show. Right. And the way they were able to target the audience correctly. So like, I mean, that was my big draw. Right? Thinking about growing up how old I was, you know, um, sitting there maybe with my kid. And that appeal to like this gen Z Zoomer kind of people with the whole fallout boy feel on the song like that stood out right away. Like it was just, I actually almost broke out into that, that hit song of theirs that, you know, going down, down swinging or whatever it's called. Yeah. It brought me back. Like I love it when, when the shows do that and give us something for, you know, for us.
Trey: Right. Like nothing screams gen Z to me like Patrick stump. So pitch perfect pick. I couldn't agree more. And just the way that you, they like captured the personality of the three spider heroes within the theme song. So from the get go, we already know who these characters are and it's just, this, this show is firing on all cylinders from, from the beginning.
Jude: Super strong start. What
Trey: about. I think what I love so much about that first part, sticking with the spidey to the power of three. So much of this episode is about them coming together as a team, right? And before we can get to that moment where they are working together, we need to see a little bit of conflict. So the fact that this show smartly pairs, the inability of them to work as a team with their favorite flavors of ice cream, that is just. Amazing writing. I can't imagine a well, a better written scene to get these characters on screen. Yeah.
Jude: Well, you know what? And first off, and then just, you know, side note, the choices of ice cream are really good vanilla. Like those are great flavors.
Trey: Just, they are chocolate chip all the way. No
Jude: cherry vanilla.
Trey: That's fine. Th
Jude: we liked the episode, right. We just need to work together and have them all.
Trey: Hey, maybe by the end of this episode, we'll be able to work on the same page. Yeah. And not just not to spoil it. They do get to the right answer. Just eat all the ice cream,
Jude: just have all ice cream.
Trey: What a great lesson.
Jude: I know. Right. Um, I will say something else that really stuck out to me, especially when I had the song going. Could you see Kamala Khan see black Panther, you know, so you get a sense of who is going to show up in the show while the cast was kind of male heavy. It was still pretty well diverse, which was, I was happy to see.
Trey: Yeah. So we have Peter Parker, Gwen, Stacy miles Miralis. And then as you mentioned, Kamala Khan, whole black Panther. And as far as I can tell, I think those are the only variations of the heroes that we've seen so far. Um, but kind of on that same vein, I wanna, I want to pose this. Do you think this is the best rendition of rhino that we've seen so far?
Jude: Probably. I mean the only one I can prayer to is Paul Giamatti and I, I think he's a good actor. Right. And he probably was just doing what he was told. But he was, he was kind of ridiculous compared to this one.
Trey: Yeah. The suit was so ridiculous and the amazing Spider-Man and then in this, it just feels a lot more in line with the world.
Jude: Yeah. And it was, it was a little bit more like a streamlined suit. Well, it didn't, it felt, it felt like StarTech, right? This streamline nice rhino suit. Um, yeah, it was, it was really good. I liked the spider Gwen suit, uh, as well. Um, it just from the comic, I had a little bit more color. It was slightly different. Um, but you know, that was pretty. So what'd you think of the animation style? Just in general
Trey: animation style? I think it's what I want to see from now on and the Marvel animated projects. Yeah. Every, uh, uh, Marvel zombies, uh, whatever comes next. And what if season two, uh, Spider-Man freshman year. This is the style that I want to really. Yeah. I love it so much. It's just captures that excitement with B. A very unique take, I think.
Jude: Yeah, no I, okay. I get that amateur style is where I was really kind of tripping up. Um, yeah, it felt very doc McStuffins to me. Um, and I feel like with these heroes and the stories they want to tell it needed to be a little bit more miraculous. Tales of ladybug and cat in a war. They're a little bit older. Right. But you still kind of have that style. They're a little bit taller. Um, I get worried a little bit, cause like the younger, they are in this animation style, there's this whole, how do they thread the needle of like, you're really getting into this kind of. Parental guardian neglect on it may is part of how young they are here. So like animation styles, they would've got a little bit bigger. I think, I think that would have helped me. Um, but I get that, like, it, it works for you. It didn't work for me. I get that, but it didn't take me full out of this.
Trey: You know what I'll go out on that limb with you, because it's not something I thought about until I heard you put it into words, but there is some weird, like I think to challah and the second story is supposed to be older than Peter Parker yet they're the same height and they're both shorter than aunt Mae. So then it's just like this weird, the heroes are tiny, which
Jude: is fine. I got a question for you may. I've noticed they're sticking with the trend of a younger age. Is this, do you think kind of some, I dunno, like critique representation maybe of from this like feminist perspective that like single moms or single parental figures that are female, like, Hey, let's drop this stigma already. Well, I can
Trey: remember when Marissa Tomi was cast in Spider-Man homecoming held the whole conversation was about how much of a younger aunt she was. As a young uncle, like I've never seen any problem in it. Like you're right there. There's, there's young aunts and uncles out there.
Jude: I'm with you. Like, I, I like this Trint, um, especially that second one. I know we haven't got to the second one yet, but you know, there was, there's very like hippy hives with this one. Um, like, like a really leaned into young and me, um, and hands down, this is the best suit of secret. We've seen period.
Trey: This isn't the first trio of spider heroes that we've seen unite within the last, what? 16. But I'm with you. This is the best trio seen of spider powers depicted on screen. So 100%. Yeah. And look, I, I know I go to this well, so many times once they start finally working together as a team, I gotta be honest. I started crying. Like, it was just so good that I couldn't hold back the tears and it just started, it was welling up.
Jude: Well, you know what got me. The trend, uh, we see no way home and I knew the word recycling. I don't think that's the best recite the word to use, but they're recycling or reusing the best stuff from the previous Spider-Man shows. And like, that was what really just that got me right. There was kind of a. You know, kinda the tearing up thing. It was just like, cause around it, I took it. I like detailed notes on this one, around four minutes, Peter says the thing you have to work together. Think when and miles proceed to take off on their own. Um, you know, and two things that stood out to me on that, Hey, it's like, oh, we're kind of doing the same thing of like, Hey, I'm an Avenger. And you know, and they have to work together. And Peter telling them that, um, It was a little bit again, this whole like, oh great. The white male again, has to like be the leader and reasonable one. Um, you know, diversity only goes so far, but you know, I, I did like that the, the little Amash is right there like that, you know? Um, yeah. You know,
Trey: I look, I didn't want to be the party pooper this week, but for all the great work that they did with showing us. This team that's disbanded at the beginning and coming together towards the end, after they've learned the lesson, I really feel like they take away from the narrative by having Tracy in here. They're a little spider bot. Like it just, it disrupts all the lessons learned. And so it doesn't feel earned to me. And I kinda just wish they would let them work as a team rather than calling in the reinforcements of their little bot.
Jude: Yeah, I get that. Thank you. That they, they can do it on their own.
Trey: Yeah. Yeah. Otherwise what's the point of. Yeah. Oh
Jude: yeah. So I have a question for you and two more, little straight dots. Okay. Um, first. The other homage to the Raimi. Spider-Man when Toby cut all the food on the tray and then Peter Parker here does that with a food cart, with a hot dog cart. That was really cool. Um, he
Trey: gets a slight nod to the comment cover, right? Where he's like holding up like a building and he's holding up the
Jude: cart here. Yeah, I think so. Um, miles swinging backwards. It's probably the best and most impressive Spider-Man skills I've ever seen. Like he's like shooting the webs backwards and swinging backwards and like talking miles is fantastic. Um, and then I'm just curious, looking at the accuracy of New York, do you think they just use the PS4 game? General thing and then just like dumb down or water down that might not be the best word because the animation was good, but like to get the accuracy of New York, do you think you just use that old map from that game?
Trey: I have spent so many hours in that Spider-Man PS4 game. It honestly felt like I had the controller back in my hand again. So I think you're spot on and I get what you mean. It's not necessarily dumbed down, but it's kind of fitting within the presentation rapper that they've chosen to go with. And again, I talked about it. I wouldn't mind seeing the Marvel project. Use this style, man, and Somnia, you need to use this for Spiderman too. Like I want to see this style in the PS five. Yeah.
Jude: Uh, I get, like you said earlier, imagine the, what ifs zombies like this amazing. Yeah.
Trey: Drawn like
Jude: this ultra like, oh
Trey: gosh, Kevin FYGI. If you're listing. Where you can hire us. We've got ideas.
Jude: I know we will help for
Trey: yeah. For pay that's the important part. Well, it feels like we have really gone through all the ins and outs of the first story. Uh, switching over to me, you know, we talked so often. About the distinguishing factor of what the brain wants and what the heart wants. Right? So brain is what the character thinks they want. The heart is what they actually need to learn. So this second part of the story is a pitch perfect, uh, employment of that kind of philosophy and writing because you have Peter Parker who wants to meet. To Charla because he's so excited to meet one of his heroes, but what his heart needs is to actually learn patience. And we see how he, you know, forgets to hug it, make by, he runs into that stand. So once he gets to the point where he's able to learn patience, they have really brought this story circle to complete end by the end of this
Jude: episode. Yeah. Well, and it's interesting because the first one he has to learn. The teamwork and working together. Right. And it's like, oh, you have that. But then, okay, tap the brakes. I get so excited. You know, if you're running into quickly, you can work with a team. So there's another element of teamwork that while he he's figured out teamwork in the beginning, he has to learn other elements that would, you know, improve that teamwork.
Trey: Yeah, it is the first part takes the lesson of being that sort of compass. Like the lead compass. They're working as a team, but I mean, he's the one dictating, all right. On three, let's do this. Whereas in the second episode, he's really learning how to follow orders as well. So being a team is not just being deleter. It's also knowing when to. Listen and contribute as well. So shifting, shifting to, to challah, I think to, to employ that lesson was a really great move on this show's part. And it shows that like they're invested, right. These aren't just tiny vignettes. They are carrying over from episode to episode.
Jude: Yeah. Now I, I had more issues with this episode than I did the other one, like story circle wise, all of that's there, you know, right on. Um, I was just surprised. Peter didn't his spidey-sense didn't go off. And doc Hawk was in the room, you know? Um, and I just, I don't have a hard time seeing to Charla selling toy vibranium for economic gain. Like just seems exploitative. Um, but like I get it. I mean, that's pretty much the MacGuffin for this story, right. The cat toy vibranium and the actual vibranium. So I get story-wise where you, it has to be done, but it's like, what are you saying about your challah? That's probably not something what to shallow would do. You know? So that's kind of my two things that kind of jumped out. Uh, but I mean, the story of patients like that,
Trey: Well, I'll go out on that limb with you because we talk about it all the time, right? Like you're writing to a moment rather than it being a moment that feels natural to the characters. So even though it serves the story, it doesn't feel like to Charla. So I'm so glad that you decided to point. Yeah. And if I can, I will cause I'm a little sentimental for this. If I can go to bat for that moment with Peters, since it's not going off for duck, I think it does set up for that moment after he's made the mistake of trying to go in too quickly on doc and she gets away and to tell it has to explain to him again about being patient. You see at may come in and to me, it's just such great visual storytelling. That the moment the lesson is internalized for Peter Parker and may as the one who walks in, who was the original person to instill, or at least try to instill that
Jude: lesson to Peter. Yeah. That makes sense. I love that you you're, that you're laying that out there. Cause it, it makes complete sense. Well, you notice where they may, they had another Amash to the. How so, well, the, the fight between Garfield Spider-Man and lizard with Stan Lee in the library and had the headphones on, and he didn't know what was going on in the background and may was doing the same thing, but this time was the museum. It looked like it was another, it was like, gosh, it was a fantastic,
Trey: this is really a love letter to all Spider-Man fans. Like it is taking all the inspirations and putting it into one show. So I got one more thing I want to say before we move on to listeners, uh, first takes as well. So I'll say mine, if you've got one, you can go in and throw it out. There'll be super quick. Okay. So real quick look, I know we're at the beginning of the season, I'm going to start gathering my grains of sand, but I'm going to combine both of the stories here. Whenever they get rid of rhino, the way they're able to apprehend them as they sort of do this whip motion where it spins rhino around, and that's how he gets in capacity. They do that again with black Panther, whenever he uses a doc ox tentacles to apprehend her as well. I think they might be foreshadowing, some kind of Western villain here by the end of the season. And again, I know grains of sand, but I've just, I've, there's a lot of whipping action. So I just feels like it's Invoca and Cowboys.
Jude: Oh, yeah. Okay. Okay,
Trey: cool. Look, I don't get into comic comic book knowledge, so I, I don't know if there's any Western heroes or villains, but they're doing something here for
Jude: sure. Now they're building, you can tell they are building. So yeah, you got a couple of things. My two, um, this time and the second watch I noticed in the suit up, if it comes on like nano. Which was really cool. I always just kind of came onto him. I thought it was weird though, that the, on the mask was an actual mask and not nanotech and the rest was nanotech. Um, I don't know, budgeting choices. I don't know who knows what that was about, but it was cool that it kind of came on, but nanotech, and I believe they're hinting
Trey: at Tony stern.
Jude: Yeah. I felt like we got to Stan Lee cameo. How so? I, that kind of looked like Stan Lee, who he bought the right brand named cat toy. Yeah, good. Go back and check it out.
Trey: I'll go on that limb with you. He's also the person with the hot dog stand.
Jude: Then there
Trey: has to be 100%. Stan Lee cameo.
Jude: I'm so glad to get those back.
Trey: I missed. So am I it's, it's an, it's a nice way to attribute what, what they did and they don't, that's very subtle. They don't call too much attention to it. Well, I think that's going to do it for our deep dive into spidey and his amazing friends. But before we go, we are going to get some listeners first take. So we did reach out on social media to see what everybody else thought about this episode as well. Uh, so this first one comes in from TK over on Zynga. And she says spidey and his amazing friends is full of big ideas. The theme of friendship is firmly established in episode one, despite their differing disagreements over who has cooler powers, the spidey team comes together to stop rhino powerful stuff. And I have to agree with TK with a
Jude: hundred percent, then it is to, to come to overcome. Yourself and become selfless, amazing, uh, seeing Peter Miles and Gwen working together again, makes me excited for the future of the spider verse. Uh, the nods to the history of Spider-Man while also introducing new tech and collaboration has definitely got me hooked and wanting more. Uh, this comes from leach and, uh, she sent it. Oh, how nice. Yeah, I'm glad I just made it in time for the episode.
Trey: She has impeccable timing for real. Oh, finally, this last one comes in from friend Daniel over on MySpace and it reads three words fall out, boy. And I'm like we said, very beginning of this episode, you called it
Jude: spot on. Like, that's just the initial jump out. I'm so glad he saw that. Um, cause again, that was Chuck.
Trey: I got to say, dude, I'm so excited. We've decided to go this route. It's it's I can't wait to cover more. Oh,
Jude: man, this is, it just feels fresh and exciting.
Trey: 100%. Well, if you'd like to reach us with any of your spidey and his amazing friends takes, you can always reach us at MC you need to know on Twitter and Instagram or write us an email. We'd love to hear what you thought about this masterpiece.
Jude: And of course, scroll down to the bottom, click on the discord. You can have, um, conversations. The MCU and spiting, amazing friends, make sure you click on the role of sign. So you get all the spoiler chat for spiting has amazing friends, um, hop on there and let us know if you see the other spider Amash is. Yeah.
Trey: And if there's any others, Marvel. I'll just say Marvel in general shows of this ilk, let us know. We'd be happy to cover it. Oh, absolutely. Finally. We'd like to thank Nick Sandy for the use of our theme song, which is his rendition of the vendor's theme. You can find more of his work on a SoundCloud, which is linked in the show notes as well. Well, that's going to do it. Thank you so much for listening and Jude. Thank you so much for doing this. Thank you tab. We'll see you all next week. Oh man, dude, I, again, what a great idea. I don't know why we hadn't thought of this before. Right? This would have been so much easier,
Jude: right? Like, like we were struggling to find topics or topic episodes, and this was on Disney plus the whole time, the
Trey: whole time. There's no other show that we have previously covered and have not finished. That is also on Disney plus to do so this one would have been perfect. Yeah. All right. It's been like six hours. Let's go ahead and stop here. Cause I got a lot of editing to get this one done.
Jude: There's going to be a lot of cuts.
Trey: Yeah, probably we shouldn't have gone on that tangent about how it actually ties into the United States constitution.
Jude: I know, I know.