Neuroscience researcher and author Brian Pennie reflects on his 15-year addiction to heroin and how he managed to not only survive those harrowing years but to come out of it and build a life he loves.
- Anxiety and addiction
- "The opposite of addiction is connection." Johann Hari
- Awareness is the opposite of addiction
- Awareness by Anthony DeMelo
- Storytelling and “the grand self-deception”
- The relationship between self-awareness, self-belief, and self-deception
- Where does self-belief come from?
- The importance of friendship and vulnerability
- Surrender and peace of mind
- Relational Frame Theory and the connection between language and emotion
- The relationship between addiction and values (or the lack of values)
- Curiosity as the key to recovery and thriving
- Positive addictions
- Transforming desire
- Surviving vs thriving
- Brian’s Dr. Dolittle Story
- The importance of playfulness and humor
If you enjoyed this episode of Minds&Mics and want to get notified whenever new episodes are released, you can join Nick's free weekly newsletter here →
What is Minds and Mics?
Psychologist Nick Wignall interviews experts in the fields of psychology, mental health, and human potential to better understand how the mind works and how we can make it work for us to improve our lives in practical, meaningful ways.