Nikolay: Hello, hello. This is PostgresFM, episode number 98, right? 98.
Michael: Yes.
Nikolay: And this is Nikolay Samokhvalov, founder of Postgres.AI. And my co-host is Michael Christofides, founder of pgMustard. Hi, Michael.
Michael: Wow. That's the first time you've attempted my last name and you did great.
Nikolay: Okay. Thank you so much. I practiced all these years. So what's the topic today?
Michael: Yeah, So this was your suggestion. I think it's a great one. We've been meaning to come back to it for a while now. It's full-text search. Why did you want to talk about it?
Nikolay: I think it was on our list for a very long time, maybe from the very beginning, because it's a huge topic. And when we built that list, I think pgVector already existed, but only a few people paid attention to it, unlike today. So since we didn't manage to discuss full-text search before this AI boom started last year. I think we should maybe compare it a little bit. Since I used full-text search a lot in the past, I still remember many features it offers in Postgres. I think it's interesting to not only discuss, like usual discussion, embedded full-text search in Postgres versus Elastic. But also it's interesting to discuss embedded full-text search of Postgres versus PgVector extension and similarity search, or maybe not versus, maybe together. And this is interesting. But I think time is changing and evolution is very interesting. And today people probably pay less attention to full-text search, but they at least should know what capabilities it can offer. And let's maybe start from use cases and discuss functions, features, FTS, full-text search provides in Postgres. What do you think? Or maybe we can talk about some historical aspects. I also can provide some overview of what was happening in Postgres and not only in Postgres. What do you think? Features, use cases, history, what's better?
Michael: Actually, I don't know the history that well. That would be awesome to hear a tiny bit about that. And then I'd love to jump onto use cases where you see it used most commonly, that kind
Nikolay: of thing. Yeah, actually we can combine. I now see how we can do it. So if, for example, we roll back to first web era, Web 1.0, so to speak, like 25 years ago, and when Google was created. Because Google is kind of, it's a search engine, originally, right? And it solves the problem of finding proper texts, most relevant texts, right? And at that time, before Google, already other search engines were created, obviously. Full text search capabilities were originally called T-Search 2. Actually, I remember this contrib module I was seeing at 2005, maybe, when I first started working with Postgres, created by Oleg Bartunov, Teodor Sigaev, and then Alexander Korotkov joined them. They created it because they were building a search engine originally. They helped building quite a big search engine. Then they incorporated many of their works into Postgres, and this became T-Search2 contrib module, which later was merged to the core and you don't need to install extension, so it's already in core, right? But interesting thing that it was before social networks and so on, but If we look at how it's built, it has a lot of things. For example, you can search, you can, for example, exclude some words. By default, it excludes some words. It's called dictionary, which is like in Postgres full text search terminology, dictionary is a program. It can process input somehow transforming it. So stop words, it's just exclusion of various articles for example and so on which we probably don't have any meaning, so we can just exclude them, that's it. Then we have Snowball, which is a stemmer, so it removes the endings. It's super fast and super simple. So we can, for example, runs and run, it's like kind of the same word, so s should be removed, right? And then more full-fledged thing, we can ask to join, to use some real dictionary, usually ISPELL, which is also used for thesaurus, like It can give a lot of things, but it's usually slower, requires some memory. And all these things are configurable in full-text search, and they were configurable in TS Vector 2 originally, and it's great. But if you think about the task, the use case, what we want to try to solve, we want to present user some information which is most relevant, right? What is most relevant? The user has some query. I want a recipe with, I don't know, with some eggplant, for example. He puts eggplant. If we have, for example, food recipe, website, or system, knowledge base. And then we just stop words, normalizing words, we can just filter, right? But filtering is just 1 thing. We also need to somehow order, maybe, right? And present only the most relevant. What is the most relevant? Maybe these words are most frequently used in these documents, right? Like repeated many times, for example. And this is quite a basic idea. If the word is used many times, it's considered most relevant. Now, confession, I never used this. Why? Because I'm from a different era. I'm from web 2.0, where most relevant meant something else because it was social networks. It was like also time matters a lot. Like if it's fresh document, like fresh blog post or something, it matters a lot. But Postgres full text search lacks this, like it's hard to build together. There is a special index RAM, I mentioned it many times already. Maybe I need to revisit it finally and think, maybe it still can be used, because if you're on self-managed Postgres, this type of index can be installed as an additional extension. But the original full-text search can order by only this tsRank, right? It's called function tsRank. And there is another function which also considers positions and distance between words. I think like density or something. Like not density, but the closer words are the better ranking score is, right? But for me, it was always nonsense to use only these word positions and so on. I couldn't imagine how I can use it because I always needed to take into account time. And also sometimes things like likes, reactions, comments, if this post is very heavily discussed, it's very important, right? But back to history, we know there is BM25 and also there is like this TF-IDF. The idea, TF, it's term frequency, inverted document frequency, right? If some document has this term like word mentioned many times, it's good for this document, right? And if, in general, this term is mentioned in our whole database, it's a whole dataset, it's mentioned not very frequently, it's also good for our document, because it means that it's exceptional in terms of frequency, right? So that's why it works, document frequency. So it means that for such thing we need to analyze the whole dataset. Postgres full text search doesn't do it. It's quite hard to maintain such type of thing, but I think if there are some attempts to have it in Postgres, maybe some extensions exist. This is what Elastic uses, right? But there is another approach. Back 25 years ago, why did Google win? Because it had PageRank. If we think deeply about this, it's already from Web 2.0 idea. Because PageRank takes into account social network of documents, I would say. It takes into account links, right? So interactions. We are not alone. And this idea is super powerful. I'm curious, are there any extensions which implement this in Postgres and how it could be implemented? This is super interesting. But this is a big power. If we have links, we value this document more. I think there are good algorithms how to solve it with billions of documents of course. There are papers written, anyone who studied search engine theory of course. There is a course from Stanford mining massive data sets, very good material where I studied this PageRank and other algorithms closer to machine learning on big data sets. So idea is like links, right? You multiply by some matrices and you have some good index and you can use it. Again, Postgres doesn't provide this. Elastic doesn't provide PageRank, I guess. But it's good because we start taking into account not only word positions. Full-text search in Postgres, only word position for single document and that's it. But since full-text search in Postgres is inside relational database system, we can have other columns, right? And we can have indexes on them. So for example, likes or something like timestamp when document was created. We can construct SQL, which takes into account all these things. It will be just slow, right? Maybe because the idea that the fastest query is always like index scan or index only scan is the best, right? But when we have full text search, we have other columns and we have B-trees probably on them. Combination is a problem, right? This is the problem. But there are things how you can solve it, but let's maybe discuss a little bit later, I mean, B-Tree GiST and other extensions. But originally, the combination of different factors in the ranking task, this is the problem, right? Later, Google and others, they started taking into account social network activities. If some document is mentioned on Twitter, for example, or Facebook. It happened like 15, 10 years ago. This document, everyone who dealt with search engine optimization knows that if you have a lot of likes in social networks, your document goes up in positions. But if we deal with our system, we can take into account interactions like that because it's just some data we store and that's it. Today it's not that bad usually if you don't have tens of billions of records or just millions or tens or hundreds of millions. It's not a huge volume of data. So you can rely on multiple indexes and let Postgres decide what to choose based on statistics. This is very similar to what we discussed, remember, with... Yeah? Yeah, very similar. Because it triggered my problems with full-text search. I had trying to incorporate it to social media projects. Because you have 2 indexes, which to choose? Because you cannot choose them together. Well, you can, you can have bitmap in the scan, but it's already slower. But most likely Postgres will choose just 1 index in 1, like for example, over time, or full text search, but based on statistics. And then on the fly, it will apply either sorting in memory or filtering in memory, right?
Michael: Yeah, exactly. That's where the inefficiency comes in.
Nikolay: Yeah, yeah. So this is like historical overview. We had like simple stop words, stemming, dictionary. It's not simple, by the way. It's a lot of functionality. But ranking based on just our opinion about how this document is relevant to your query, not considering relations or other things. Second thing is, I think, page rank and Postgres doesn't have it. And the third thing is taking into account various factors like time and likes and so on. But also there is similarity search now and we know search engines use it for long, right? So...
Michael: Well, actually, I want to go back to... I think your example is remarkably useful. So the example you gave of searching a site of recipes for eggplant, or let's add that maybe we're not super sophisticated, we type an eggplant. So we can, for example, say that an would count as a stop word. We don't want recipes that say an a lot to rank highly. So that's getting rid of the stop words. We might want, for example, to do something slightly more. We might want to rank recipes that list eggplant in the title. We might want those to score higher than ones where it's listed in the document more times. So that's like an interesting additional challenge. Secondly, it might be, let's say, a user-generated recipe site, and we might want to factor in how many likes a recipe has got or how recent it is or something like that. So there's like all these, even in the simplest example you can think of these days, it can get... Oh, I've got 1 more. You might also, if it's user-generated content, you could have British people or like people using aubergine instead of eggplant. And you also want those to rank highly. So yes, exactly.
Nikolay: So synonyms already, it's already a bridge to discussing full text search versus similarity. Let's keep it as the last item, right? But let's, great attempt to zoom. This is good. Let's do, or diving into deeper. So let's slightly mention how full-text search works in Postgres. So after this pre-processing, we just discussed like removal of stop words and you can control it. Like good thing about full-text search in Postgres, a lot of customization options. Like A lot. You, for example, can control stop list and stop considering an as a stop word. Or you can, for example, remove accents. There's a special extension on accent, right? Additional pre-processing.
Michael: So like in French, for example, with lots of...
Nikolay: Or there are support of multiple languages also, it's also good. So you can start considering additional stop words, for example, remove it if they mention too often, like, almost all documents have them, let's remove it because it doesn't make sense to use it, right? Then like stemming or dictionary processing, I spell dictionary processing. So in the end we have a set of normalized words, right? And then we build an array. It's called TS vector, again also vector by the way. So it's a set of words with positions, already normalized, in a normalized form. But basically it's just an array of texts, right?
Michael: Yeah, like words or lexemes or whatever. Yeah.
Nikolay: For example, I forgot also to mention hyphened words. I think you also can control it. As I remember, it was many years ago, I think you can choose either to consider them as a single 1 word or to split them to multiple words, like 2 words basically, first and second, or together. Like You can put a pair of separate words and whole word as hyphen, right? A total of 3 already, right?
Michael: So that if people search 1 or the other, they still get that result back.
Nikolay: Right. For example, shift left testing. Shift left, if it's a hyphen, you can put both shift left and shift left as 3 separate entries in your
Michael: test vector.
Nikolay: You can control how Postgres will do it, building test vectors. Also, you can concatenate test vectors so data can come from different sources. For example, we have title, we have body, subject, or body, like for example if it's email, or if it's blog posts, title and content, text, how you name it, it doesn't matter. And you can concatenate 2 TS vectors, or you can concatenate it before that with additional space and then build TS vector. So TS vector is just an array of texts, and you can explicitly store it, consuming space. Or you can rely on function, because then we need to create index on it. Originally it was GIST. GIST, I think it was the work of Heikki Linnakangas in Berkeley very long ago, in the early 90s maybe or when. It was not finished, but the guys who I mentioned, Bartunov and Sigaev, they just saw this directory in PostgreSQL source code, as they say, and understood this is exactly what they need. There's also an additional thing. GiST is a generalized search tree. It's similar to B-tree, but it's abstract. You can use it for many data types and data operators. For B-tree, it will be numbers and operators less than or more than and equals. And it's just 1 axis, right? R3 it's 2 axes and then you can have it for arrays as well. In this case we talk about operators intersect, includes, contains, is contained by, and overlaps. Overlaps is at at, usually. You can actually redefine it and use your own symbols. It's actually first you define function, then operator, since Postgres is very extendable. But historically it's at at, or less than at, or at greater than. So these operators, you can define how to deal with them in terms of this B-tree-like index structure. So it's balanced with many, many children on each node. And balancing is automated, everything is automated. So when these folks found this Heikki Linnakangas's work, it was not finished, and the WAL was not supported. They worked on that supported WAL. Then additional thing, we won't go deep because of lack of time and I also forgot everything, But there's also a thing that's called signature tree. So to put our TS vectors to this structure, there's additional concept of signature tree, you need to build signature. It's also defined. So these signatures are placed into the leaves of this tree. And then search is very bit tree-like, but with additional exclusion, which makes today's GiST option is not popular at all. Recheck is needed, because it's not certain, this search.
Michael: I've heard it's called lossy index types.
Nikolay: Right, right. So if you check, this is what you do in pgMustard, right? Yeah, yeah. EXPLAIN, ANALYZE, BUFFERS, right? You check and see in the plan, recheck happened. If GiST was used, recheck happened. So let me close some gap. Query also processed to build a vector, right? But it's called TS query. It's called TS query, different data type, but it's also similar. Also a bunch of words, also with pre-processing. You can have different pre-processing, you decide how to pre-process, right? But usually it's same as for TS vector, for TS query, same pre-processing also remove stop words, remove normalized words, and so on. So, and then our question is, let's find everything which includes, like, we need to find documents which include everything we asked for in our query, right?
Michael: And rank them, but yeah.
Nikolay: Yeah, and rank also additionally. So there is approach to put it to trees, to such values, to leaves. And then it searches similar to B-tree, but instead of greater than or less than, instead of that, it checks if this vector is contained in that vector. I mean, this array is contained in that array, and that's why you need to go left or right, something like this. So it's called Russian doll tree because it's like Russian doll, right? Somehow. RD3. So by the way, it's also in Berkeley papers, this term RD3, somehow. So I think it was invented before Bartunov and Kratkov. Probably. Maybe they influenced, I don't know. But then, obviously it's slow in terms of search for large volumes of data because of this recheck. This is not how Google and others worked in terms of like... Not even Google. Google, we know, page rank is a bigger thing. But eventually, Bartunov, Sigaev, and then Kratkov, they created GIN. GIN is a generalized inverted tree where we have a list of terms, our words, and for each list of...
Michael: Documents.
Nikolay: Right, all tuple IDs, tuple CTIDs, I think, where this is stored, but not lists, there are bit trees there, actually, for faster search. So it means that Gist is good only at 1 thing, update speed.
Michael: Gist fast is gin.
Nikolay: Right, right. But gin, it was improved, there is also fast update option. But anyway, default option for us is gin, right? And comparing tsQuery and tsVector, gin is good, search is fast, but order by tsRank, which is not probably good. So back to the comparison, back to these use cases you started mentioning. Let's think about them. First, you said, or at least second, let's distinguish subject and body, right, for example.
Michael: Yeah, or should we rank, should we, should the, the presence of an ingredient in
Nikolay: it or
Michael: let's yeah. Words because we know that people aren't going to be searching in our like search bar for random things. Like maybe there's like a few different things they might search by. The most common is probably ingredient. Should recipes that list that in their title rank higher, or be weighted higher, even if they only mention it like a few couple of times later on, I feel like personally I'd be expecting those to rank higher than ones where it was a small ingredient, or I only needed a small amount of it maybe. Maybe the amount of the ingredient matters a lot. Maybe that's easier.
Nikolay: Right, right. So it's definitely a good thing to want, right? If a word is entitled, it means that maybe the whole article is about this, right? If eggplant is entitled, it pays attention more to it. Makes sense. So for this, there are 2 bits which you can use. 2 bits means 4 options, right? So there is a function setWeight. And when you combine information from multiple sources, from title column and content column, for example, body column, you can say set weight A to first 1, set weight B to second 1. And they are only ABCD, uppercase, because again, 2 bytes only are used for this. And then later in your query, you can also say, I pay attention to this or to that. Actually, you can use it for filtering as well. And this is what I did. But originally it was created for ranking. I don't remember details, but setWeight function you need to search in documentation, it should be there and you will find out how to... It's a very strange concept. Why only 4? Because of 2 bits only. They had only 2 bits to spend for it. Maybe there should be more. But I use it for sometimes like we search only in subject, right? And I say, okay, only a category. It's called category maybe. It's embedded inside TS vector. So you can skip using it. It's there, but you can just ignore it in search. But in different time, you can say, I want to search only category A, it means only title search. You don't need to build 2 TS vectors separately. However, you could, right?
Michael: Got it. So like, if, for example, going back to our example, I search what's clearly like an author name, and we can maybe on the application side, we're doing a little like a quick, Maybe we're doing something first to try and categorize what people are searching for. If it's an author name, I could then send that through to Postgres as like, let's only look in this category.
Nikolay: Right, right. But again, it originally was created for ranking. I just didn't use it. So I cannot explain how the documentation of course, explains how. Right. So good thing to mention also, now we have generated always thing, right? Generated columns. They are stored, but Postgres maintains them automatically. So, I think generation of TSVector is probably a good thing to use together with that functionality. So you have author, title, body of blog post, and then TSVector can be generated based on some expression, which puts different categories to different sources of data, again up to four, and generates and puts TSVector there, and then you have an index on it, right? Or you can define a trigger. All my life I defined triggers for this. And also there is another option not to store it at all and just use index on expression, GIN, and then your big expression, maybe with this set weight we just discussed. But in this case, it's good in terms of storage. Less thing to keep in memory. But it might be bad in terms of... I don't know. Sometimes you need to deal with TSVector directly. If you have only expressional index, then you need to construct this expression once again to deal with it. I don't like this approach somehow, because it limits in terms of what you can do with such records. So, if you don't store it, you need to build it on the fly to deal with it, to additionally somehow analyze it or so. So I always prefer to store them, although they can consume a lot of data and the TOAST and so on. Sometimes I just put them to separate table understanding that then I will need to join. For me it's easier to create a trigger and use a regular column, right? But if you think to store it or not to store it, it's good to think what you will do with it. And if you want to deal with TSVector in different ways, then keeping it stored only in the index itself. It's maybe not enough and maybe it's good to put it to the table. But to put it to the same table as a column and rely on TOASTing and so on, or maybe to allocate a different table and like one-to-one relationship? It's a good question. Again, depending on workloads. So okay, This we covered. Can you remind me of other use cases you mentioned?
Michael: Well, I think it's all I consider this kind of one use case, but I guess, I guess there's like all the complexities that you may or may not want to support. 1 that I didn't mention, but probably we care about is what if somebody spells eggplant with 1 g?
Nikolay: Yeah, typos.
Michael: Yes.
Nikolay: For this, there is pg_trgm, 3 grams. Extension, which actually also uses RD3. Gin, actually. Gin these days. RD3, forget about it. Forget about GiST, very rarely used. So Gin, right? So we have some text, right? Or some... Basically, 3-grams should work for words, right? We have word, and we suspect maybe there is a typo there. So it depends 1 space on 1 side and 2 spaces to different side and then just split for 3 words, 3 letters, 3 letters, 3 letters, right? And then we have array again, right? Vector. Vector, right. And then the question is which is the most, the closest. Closest means like most overlapping. Most of members of array are the same. Might be not all of them. And if it's just 1 letter typo, it means 3 members of this vector will be different.
Michael: Ah, nice. Yeah. Well, it wouldn't include EGG, it wouldn't include GGP, and it... Is that... They're the only 2? In this case, I think, possibly, just they're the only 2.
Nikolay: So 3-grams, We're just shifting, shifting, shifting also, right? We don't just split, we're shifting. So start position, first is, for example, space, then 2 letters, then second, the first letter, second letter, third letter, shift, shift, shift, and we construct array out of it. And then if, for example, you just missed, forgot 1 letter, overlapping will be huge. Distance is very close. Similarities, distance low, similarities high. If you, for example, mixed positions of 2 letters, just swap them. Also huge. This is an interesting idea behind 3-grams. And again, we use either RD3, nobody does it, or Gin. GIN, we use GIN so we can find arrays which are closest, overlapping is higher. That's how we find words which actually present in our document dataset. And then they say, you probably thought about this word. 1 thing, in the past I remember we maintained the list of words with usage counts probably, using some statistics provided by full text search. I don't remember details, but you can build a list of words with stats, and then you can store it in a table, and then use trigrams on top of it. You need triggers to maintain this, or you need to refresh it periodically. For example, if you just imported a lot of documents which use new words, this list of words is already outdated, you need to rebuild it. And then this Trigram approach worked, you have input words, you check the table and it works. Now I think we don't need it, right? It's automatically maintain this list of words. Or we just don't care and build an index and then take whole input.
Michael: That's how I've seen it used, yeah.
Nikolay: So there are several ways to use it, and maintaining this additional table probably still makes sense, right? List of words.
Michael: Do you think it would then speed up queries, or what do you think the benefit is? Speed?
Nikolay: You lose speed here probably, right? But accuracy is good.
Michael: Accuracy, yeah. This is great, but I think the conversation you mentioned earlier, like the comparison of full-text search versus semantic search in the current climate, and something I wanted to introduce was whether the use case suits false positives, or suits false negatives better, like I think it's really difficult to, to come up with a solution that that does neither. But often you see kind of slightly biased towards like is it better like Google for example what PageRank was really good at was making sure it didn't miss a website that was clearly very relevant to your search term and so it was very very good at avoiding false negatives but you did often especially in the earlier days get quite a lot of false positives. You'd get articles that didn't match your intention, at least, even if it did match the words. But the recipe example, maybe we don't care so much about like, if you miss 1 great recipe, but you get 17 perfectly matched ones, that's still a good result. Maybe you'd rather that kind of weigh around on the trade off. I don't know how you see that and whether that's relevant.
Nikolay: I see this as many different small use cases. For example, if first of all, I remember your different use cases. This is what I mentioned as well. Like we want to take into account likes, comments, timestamp, everything. It gives us ability to build very big query and then we think, okay, but our full text search, single GIN index is not enough, right? Sometimes we can use bit.ly gist, for example, right? Which allows us combining these arrays of text and regular numbers or timestamps in a single index. And this is good. We can have single index scan. Also there is B-tree GiST. Also interesting thing. Also there is RAM which you need to install as a separate extension, but these 2, B-tree GiST and B-tree GIN, they are included with regular contrib modules, so with any Postgres it's available. But in some cases we want, like I forgot to mention Postgres also supports it. I think functional web search to test query or something like this. It supports some small language of phrase search and inverted search, you can exclude, user can say, I want everything but this word should not be there. Just minus, right? Or put in double quotes for exact match. This all great means that user can control and in regular manner Google also supports things like that, right? So it means that you want, for example, to see exact phrase mentioning, well you know it's there and you just can do it. But then similarity search, 2 big use cases. For example, you mentioned synonyms, right? Someone doesn't use the word eggplant, there's another word meaning the same thing.
Michael: Aubergine. It's honestly, that's what we call them. Aubergine. A-U-B-E-R. I'm not going to try the
Nikolay: rest. I haven't heard it. Cool. So if you want a synonym search, full-text search supports it. But you need to maintain it. You need to maintain the dictionary of synonyms. And the normalization process will automatically, all synonyms will be defined in our test vector and test query it will be 1 word we chose. So we can maintain synonyms. It's easy. Not easy. I mean, it's straightforward. It's not easy because it requires effort of maintaining synonyms, right? But on the other hand, if we use pgVector, it probably puts both words in this highly dimensional space very close, right? Because meaning is the same. Right, interesting. So maybe semantic search provided by pgVector is better here, right? Okay. Another thing is, for example, something is not working versus something is working. Not is a stop word, right? What do we try to search? Something is not working. For example, my car is not working. Maybe not working I should put in double quotes, so not as definitely there for exact phrase search. Or maybe I just need to use pgVector because it definitely will distinguish semantically that not working and working are very fine in this highly dimensional space, so similarity is not good, right? Distance is not good. And if we are trying to find my car is not working, we won't find documents. They will be put not high, right, in terms of ranking by similarity. But also PgVector... AL
Michael: SUTTON, I think that depends, though. I think that's contextually important and interesting because let's say this was a car forum, how many posts are you going to find about cars that are working great? Like realistically in the
Nikolay: data set?
Michael: Well, it's a bad
Nikolay: example. It was a bad example, but in general, inverted, since how full text search works in Postgres, it will remove not as a stop word. And it's bad sometimes, right? Because it's the opposite meaning, right?
Michael: Yeah, makes sense. I didn't realize that.
Nikolay: We might think about similar examples where the removal of the stop word basically leads to very bad ranking or filtering, also.
Michael: Yeah, like one that comes up quite often is like film titles or like band titles. If you put the in front of it, it could be a completely different band.
Nikolay: Or some English is very, has very such example, a lot of such examples. For example, go on, go on, go, it's like goes, right? On is just some... So go on means continue, right? Meaning is very different. If you just look at words separately, you don't get this meaning at all. And there are many such phrases, right? In many languages. And semantic search will capture this, the meaning, and put it to vector, right? And then we use approximate nearest neighbor search, ANN search. But it lacks many capabilities, like for example, exact phrase search or inverted word search, or this categorization I mentioned. What do you think? It's interesting. Should we use only semantic search these days?
Michael: I don't think so, but only because I'm thinking of some quite boring use cases where, for example, you're set, like, I quite often think about software as a service applications. And let's say you might want, you might be looking up a customer and you might want to look up them by email address or by name or by like, there's a few different things you might want to look them up by. And you might like want to provide your users with a single search bar to look those up.
Nikolay: Or you can have tags, for example, if based on what I just described, overall, like these vectors or arrays of text, text arrays, you can use GiN for text search, putting all text for document into single value, single column, right? All the text, denormalizing them. I first did it, by the way, using GiST in 2008. It was the topic of my first talk in the U.S. I presented in 2008. Can you imagine? And I was, we were building this, we put, it was social media, and all tags were stored in single column instead of EAV approach when you have separately words like tags, terms, can be phrases. 1 table, documents, another table and between them like relationship table, right? And then you need to have 3 table joins, like 2 joins all the time. In terms of storage and speed of search, it was terrible, it remains terrible, E-A-V, Entity Attribute Value approach. But here you can put all tags and full text search can provide you exact search by tags. Versus if you put everything to vector, probably how we would do it? We would do it, we probably would just take author, title, body, and then okay, we have tags. And we append probably tags colon, this comma, this comma, this, right? And rely on our vector search that it will be used somehow, but we lose control, right? If it's full text search, or we have multiple indexes, we can reliably find proper documents, which definitely contain some text.
Michael: This might be my answer. I think if I care a lot about reducing false negatives, like it would be really bad if you search the exact name of a customer in my application and we didn't show it back to you. If we couldn't find it. So sometimes the problem with the index types for vector search is they can have false negatives. Results that should be the correct answer turn out to then not be returned in the answer.
Nikolay: So and also we remember that vector search since dimensionality is super high, it's approximate nearest neighbors.
Michael: So that's what I'm trying to explain.
Nikolay: But full text search is okay, nearest neighbors or something like filtering is exact. Yes. Precise. So let me rephrase you. If we want to present user just single input with a button, fine, right? Probably similarity search is enough, right? Or if we want to have some of this language, like exclude this word or exact phrase search in double quotes, or we have advanced search form, like choose the offer, date range or something. Similarity search is not enough and probably we will need not only full text search but also faceted search with filtering, additional things. Some things we can put to full text search index, as I described, but not all of them. And it's interesting that now we have similarity search, now we have full text search, typo correction basically, but it requires effort, as I said. Other indexes, B-tree, doesn't go away at all, right? And then we can probably build some system which can be very powerful in terms of what you can do with it. And if we consider a particular example, for example, I know you used PostgreSQL.org and Google search, right? 2 search engines, right? And PostgreSQL.org search is remarkably weak. Is
Michael: it true? Yeah, it's not great, is it?
Nikolay: It seems it doesn't use full text search, or maybe it uses it in some strange form, because I don't see all power full text search provides. Maybe we could look into details because I guess source code should be available. But in general it can be improved and things like just using PostgreSQL's own full-text search will improve it and we could define more things, right? But if pgVector would be installed, it would be even better, right? Because we could combine semantic search and full-text search phrase. I think, for me, full-text search is good in terms of these capabilities like this language, like phrase search and negative exclusion, and also categories. Yes. So as someone who built a lot of systems using full text search and recently built 1 system using pgVector and semantics similarity. I think it's probably a proper time to start adding full text search capabilities also, and it will be tricky and interesting how to properly combine them. I saw simple examples, trivial examples, like how to combine them. Let's find 50 documents using semantic search, 50 documents using full-text search, that's it. Or let's find 1,000 using full text search, then re-rank them using similarity and leave only 100. And then define some additional ranking and leave only 10. Quite weak examples because I have no idea how pagination will work, right? And also, what about speed? So for me, it remains an open question how to look back at old functionality provided by full-text search and bring them to similarity search. So it's a super interesting topic.
Michael: It depends on the use case, right? So I'm thinking about your bot for Postgres AI, you don't need to paginate, right? Like if you're returning the results in a chat-based interface.
Nikolay: Yeah, there, yes.
Michael: So it's an interesting, like we maybe don't, depending on the use case, maybe don't always have the same constraints we're used to having, like, via web search type interfaces.
Nikolay: Well, I think yes and no. We don't need it now, but I already see building the bot, I follow my own behavior using Google. When using Google.
Michael: And there
Nikolay: I definitely sometimes go to page number 2, page number 3.
Michael: But not page 20. Like pagination maybe is not that big a deal if you're looking at the first 3 pages.
Nikolay: But speed will suffer. But anyway, I think I should combine, start combining with full text search because sometimes I want an exact search, I know the exact phrase or function name. Sometimes I want to exclude something. I mean, both already want to exclude something. It happens. And also I think about two-phase search when we search for more money. Maybe indeed pagination is not needed. I think about the idea to search a lot of items, like a thousand, 2000 items, but then analyze snippets like in Google. Using, again, automated analysis using LLM and leave only a few. For them, we need to expand because I always open every relevantly looking snippet. I just click it and open a new tab and consume the whole document. But we cannot consume whole documents for 10 or 20 items. It's interesting there. But full text search, I think, is about to return. Because again, sometimes I want to search by title reliably. I know it was mentioned in the title or something. Or authors. Also author. Yeah.
Michael: Makes sense. Exciting times.
Nikolay: Yeah, maybe it was slightly messed in terms of content structure this time. But I still have questions and I don't like examples like just 50 semantics, 50 full-text search.
Michael: Do you want to hear from people? Should people let us know how they're currently?
Nikolay: Yeah, maybe there are better ideas already. I think it's a very evolving area, right? And maybe there will be more systems where capabilities will be combined, because we know in, for example, in Google, it combines a lot, including similarity and like full text things.
Michael: Yeah, so if you're doing this in Postgres already combining the 2 techniques, let us know.
Nikolay: Yeah, how exactly, what are the details? It's super interesting. Good.
Michael: Nice one. Cheers, Nikolay.