In honor of D-Day, we’re heading to Rouen, France, to see which Normandy locals are the most popular right now. Thank you to all of our veterans out there! ... chartmetric.com @chartmetric #chartmetric #musicindustry #dataanalytics #musicanalysis #DDay #Rouen #France #WWII #PetitBiscuit #Kanka #Tahiti80 #LaMaisonTellier
- It’s Excursion Thursday, and in honor of D-Day, we’re heading to Rouen, France, to see which Normandy locals are the most popular right now.
- Good morning, it’s Rutger here at Chartmetric with your 3-minute Data Dump where we upload charts, artists and playlists into your brain so you can stay up on the latest in the music data world.
- This is your Data Dump for Thursday, June 6th, 2019.
- Excursion Thursday: Honoring D-Day With Popular Normandy Locals in Rouen, France
- On this D-Day edition of Excursion Thursday, which marks 75 years since the Normandy landings during World War II, we’re heading to Normandy’s capital, Rouen, France, to see which Normandy locals are the most popular right now.
- During the Middle Ages, Rouen was one of the most important cities in Europe, and in 1944, it was left in ruins in the aftermath of D-Day operations.
- Today, the city has a population of somewhere around 112,000, and its most notable current or former local from the music world is 19-year-old tropical house DJ and producer Petit Biscuit — remember him from Monday’s episode?
- He’s currently the 685th most popular artist on Spotify according to monthly listeners and is ranked a bit more than 2,000th across Spotify, YouTube, Deezer, SoundCloud, Instagram, Facebook, Wikipedia, and Twitter, according to our new Cross-Platform Performance, or CPP, score.
- While Kanka’s “deep and hypnotic bass” has him at around 36,000th when it comes to monthly Spotify listeners, across all platforms, the dub star is at around 89K, according to CPP.
- Indie pop outfit Tahiti 80, who formed while students at the University of Rouen, are arguably the more popular locals, with a Spotify monthly listener rank that’s barely higher than Kanka’s, but with a CPP ranking of around 25K, that puts them some 63,000 spots ahead of fellow compatriot Kanka and almost 23,000 spots behind Rouen comrade Petit Biscuit.
- Rouen indie rockers La Maison Tellier seem to have a bit more uniformity between their Spotify monthly listener rank of 48K and their CPP ranking of around 59K.
- Outside of Normandy, Parisian DJ David Guetta is ranked 18th on Spotify but 9th according to CPP, and Parisian legend Serge Gainsbourg is in the mid 5,000s and around 3,000th.
- And for a little global perspective, Taylor Swift is ranked 16th on Spotify but 5th according to CPP, Beyonce is 46th and 15th, Ariana Grande is 9th and 2nd, and the Beatles are 114th and 103rd.
- Keep in mind, however, that there are an estimated 1.5 million artists in this data pool, so even Kanka’s CPP rank of almost 89,000 puts him in the top 6 percent.
- Not too shabby.
What is How Music Charts?
Welcome to How Music Charts, where we bring you interviews and analysis from music industry professionals bridging data and creativity in the music business every day. Feel free to email us ([email protected]), say hi on our socials (@chartmetric), and dive deeper into music and data on our blog (blog.chartmetric.com). Free accounts are available at chartmetric.com!