Karim Moussa: So I went to Karim Awad and I told him, look, if we buy wind farms in France for 200 million, 100 million in equity and 100 million in debt, will you give me 5 million? He said, OK, of course, if you raise 100 million, I'll give you 5 million. Done. Went to Abu Dhabi and told him, look, you know.
Malak Fouad: Of course, he never thought you'd do it, huh?
Karim Moussa: The whole thing of also doing something good while you're investing, not just making money. It's a thesis that I liked from day one. And if you see, we've done it after that education. Yes.
Malak Fouad: Hi, and welcome to What I Did Next from A&T Media. I'm Malak Fouad, your host. Today, I'm bringing you a special episode with our sponsor, EFG Holding. I recently interviewed Karim Moussa, Co-CEO of EFG Hermes Buy-Side, Head of private equity and Asset Management, as well as CEO of Vortex Energy. Even though Karim and I have many friends in common, we had never met. Yet, our conversation was easy and chatty. We talked about both his professional and personal life, and we started with his school days.
Karim Moussa: I was a naughty boy back in the days. I wasn't a good student. I was a troublemaker in day one. My colleagues or old friends would remind me of that. But, my beginning of my career started with a tragedy with the loss of my dad. I used to live with my dad. My mom and dad were divorced for a long period before. And because I was a misbehaving teenager, I was living with my dad mostly. And right before the last year of school, he passed away in the summer. And it was, for me, a big turning point. I grew up overnight. I had to take responsibility for myself immediately. And, you know, from being, you know, bottom top percent in class. I finished, I had to do High school, my German, and I was not that good to do Abitur. So I did High school, and I finished with top 10% in class. And I ended up, you know, packing my stuff and moving to Germany to study engineering and business in Germany.
Malak Fouad: You know, Karim, it's really interesting that you took the experience of losing your father, it switched into a positive long term for you. A lot of kids would have gone off the rails even more. They
Karim Moussa: expected me to do so at that time as well. I had no other choice. And I think it set the tone for a lot of what came after. It wasn't that easy as well immediately after because I, the business of my dad went belly up and, you know, there wasn't a lot of cash for me to study. So my mom used to send me some small amounts and I had to, you know, I studied engineering and business, which is in the German engineering schools, Technische Universität Berlin, is a tough degree to attempt. And I was working on the side. And I did pizza man, I worked in construction site, I did movers, I did Santa Claus.
Malak Fouad: What do those side hustles teach you? Because you meet people that you wouldn't meet in your life today, but people I find who grow up in this way with having to hustle and having to really do things on their own without help, they're so much more resilient. They have a resourcefulness that other people don't. Do you feel that about yourself?
Karim Moussa: Well, it teaches you to survive in a very early days when you're very young. And Berlin in the 90s, late 90s was also a rough place. It's not like, you know, you're studying in California on the beach. It's cold. It was still, you know, coming out of sort of the East-West transition. And it wasn't an easy place. And studying engineering, German mechanical engineering and business in the same time while you were working, all kinds of jobs was tough. But I, you know, the first couple of years, I've done all these, you know, these fancy jobs and then I ended up after finishing the four diploma, which is the so-called Semi-Bachelor in Germany, I ended up doing office work. So I worked part time in a fund, Berlin Capital Fund, which was a Tech, BioTech, fund. And I started sort of understanding a bit, you know, the finance world. But I was at that time sending faxes and typing in Excel spreadsheets but I was earning good money and since then I actually called my mom, with the age of 22 and told her I'm fine, I don't need any more cash and since then I've been financially completely independent.
Malak Fouad: That's such an inspiring story and I think when.. I hope young people listen to this and I think about people like my own children who are beginning their journeys like you were and these are important stories and, you know, not everything gets handed to you and you have to figure things out and you have to, you know, find your own, you know, well of resources inside to get you through it. You know, I hope these stories resonate.
Karim Moussa: I'm actually reading a book right now, 'Green Lights' from Matthew McConaughey, which talks a lot about this, you know, how, you know, life, you know, throws you into, you know, tough moments, worst times, humiliation, loss of friends and family and he calls it red lights. And every red light at the end turns at one point of time to a green light. Red and yellow lights and and it's really what you do out of it and you know if, i i figured that out very early in my life and and it was.. I mean, I had many red lights in my career, you know, and the discussions maybe that we will continue with that came and but, you know, changing, facing the problem, pivoting and persisting into it, and focusing on it, it will always turn green.
Malak Fouad: Do you look back on that time as being the hardest period? Because I went through a very challenging time when I was in my mid-30s, I got very sick. And now when I'm confronted with anything that makes me nervous or I'm a bit anxious about, I remind myself that I won't ever go through the same difficulty as I did then, so it just becomes so much easier. Do you feel like that about that time in your life?
Karim Moussa: I mean, I don't remind myself, but I think it's plugged into you. It's like in your coding, you know, you're already programmed.
Malak Fouad: Yeah, I think I understand that.
Karim Moussa: How hard is the next one compared to the previous one?
Malak Fouad: Yeah. Let's start with Deutsche Bank. That was your first major job. Tell me a little bit about that. That was also in Berlin.
Karim Moussa: No, I joined in Frankfurt. Oh, you were in Frankfurt? Yeah, I joined in September 2001, a very small team that does mid-cap M&A, which I learned a lot in that team. Doing mid-cap German M&A, small transactions, small team, you get a lot of exposure to the deal-making. I was, you know, interacting with, you know, with all these, you know, Mittelstand, German entrepreneurs, succession issues, It was also with big German corporates, AIS, Airbus, BMW. And you're getting a lot of exposure. And this team was doing a lot of transactions, sell-side, buy-side, 12, 13 transactions a year. So I've learned a lot. But I also didn't have an easy start. It's a very German environment that made cap market.
Malak Fouad: And it was right after 9-11, right, when you started?
Karim Moussa: I was just about to say, I joined the team September 1, nine days after. And I was the only foreigner, not just Arab, the only foreigner I've ever had, nine days after, an Egyptian pilot that studied in, in Technical University of Hamburg, which is an hour away from Technical University of Berlin, in Germany, was one of the pilots that flew the plane in one of the towers. I honestly had some colleagues looking, you know, afraid at me. There were all these very German aristocratic teams. But anyway, I worked hard and I succeeded. I, you know, proven myself. I got promoted over the years to an associate and, and every time, I had these HR, I was on a fast track every time, I had this HR reviews, I told them whenever you do something in the Middle East, let me know. And they called me one day and told me look they are going to open up in the Middle East and there's this guy called Ken Borda who runs Australia and Asia who's going to move to the Middle Eat and he needs a business manager.
Malak Fouad: And Karim, why were you interested in anything to do with the Middle East? Because you're obviously the language, the culture?
Karim Moussa: And by that time, I spent 10 years in Germany and I missed eating foul and tamaya and going back and hearing the call of prayer and being in the Arab world. I had never been to Dubai. I did the video conference with Ken Borda and I joined him. But this was a major redlight that I discovered the year after. That job, I was a young deal-maker and that job business manager was more or less an extended secretary. I was taking minutes and booking private jets and, you know, talking to the regulator to open offices and, you know, negotiating office rents and stuff like that. And it was tough. I didn't like it at all.
Malak Fouad: And why did you do that? I mean, that was not a promotion.
Karim Moussa: I don't know. I was young and I heard that I was an offer in Dubai and, you know, joined the CEO to open up Deutsche Bank. And, you know, it was exciting. But the moment I had to literally carry his bag, which he gave me a few times to do, I said, this is not going to work. And I didn't know what to do. At that time, there was no investment banking. So I'm private bank because of Deutsche Bank. 2005 in Dubai, there was not even DIFC, we're in Emirates Towers. And he realized I'm the wrong guy in the job and he just told me, look, I mean, there's an investment banker coming who's going to open, you know, from Hong Kong, who's going to open an investment bank and give it a try. And I, you know, I met him and the guy told me, look, I don't want to hear about what you did in Frankfurt. You know, I put you on probation. I had six years. I was in six years in Deutsche Bank and in the fast time, put you on probation for six months and, you know, prove again if you can do it or not. Otherwise, you're out. So I, you know, after six years in my career, I went on probation period. And then we did some interesting data. So, Sokhna Port to Dubai Port, we did Dubai Port IPO, we did EFC.
Malak Fouad: You're obviously a risk-taker because you could have stayed in the cushy job. You were on a fast track, but you went out and you said, no, I want to try something different. Even though the initial step wasn't to your liking, it led to something else. So, there is a risk-taker there.
Karim Moussa: You have to, otherwise it becomes very boring.
Malak Fouad: Yeah, yeah.
Karim Moussa: Your entire life becomes very boring.
Malak Fouad: That's true.
Karim Moussa: I think at the moment it becomes boring, you have to start something else. Otherwise, you know, otherwise you will degrade. 2005 to 2007, 2008, three years, we did a lot of these transactions, good transactions. And then that's the time where also that business became boring. I was, you know, the broker, the investment banker between, you know, an entrepreneur selling, making a lot of money or an investor buying, you know, and restructuring or growing the business. And I was always the middleman. And, you know, there's, you know, for some people with some time that business is not fulfilling, I wanted to be either the entrepreneur or the investor, you know. And I decided to move to the buy-side, the private equity side. And I like the idea of EFG because Hassan and Yasser at that time, you know, they hired a team from Goldman to ramp up their private equity. You know, EFG was known as a big sell-side brokerage and investment bank, but, you know, private equity was still young and, you know, there was something to be done. So I joined them.
Malak Fouad: 2009 by now?
Karim Moussa: That's, yeah, right before Lehman, 2008. I negotiated before Lehman and then I joined right after the crisis.
Malak Fouad: And you had Ashraf Zaki in investment banking in Cairo at that time?
Karim Moussa: Yes, yes, but he was leaving. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Hazam Shawqi, the guy who came from Goldman, was effectively my boss at that time. And then I, yeah, and then we started. Then I started my career within private equity at EFG.
Malak Fouad: And let's discuss that a little bit in more detail. You spent many, you are still very much involved in private equity. You're heading it. How did those early years evolve to what you're doing now for that platform?
Karim Moussa: When I joined, there was a fund, the so-called Old Horas Fund. My first investment, you know, having sold Sokhna port to Dubai Ports, there was a project with a feedlot with lots of cows and some slaughterhouses that always interested me. And I went back to Captain Osama Sharif and told him, you know, tell me more about this and connect me to your partner, Danny Fakhri, who was running that project. Like they were importing livestock and, you know, there's a shortage in Egypt with, you know, halal, fresh meat. You know, you can import frozen, but your baladi beef is, you cannot, you don't have arable land and enough water to feed everyone with fresh meat. So the concept of importing livestock, putting them in a feedlot for a few months and then, you know, slaughtering them on the ground, halal, and becomes like a, you know, a premium baladi beef, cheaper than the baladi. Was a great opportunity. We invested in our business and we created the brand, Sokhna Beef and we were selling actually Sokhna Beef in Carrefour and first year we did $100 million of revenue, and then the revolution came.
Malak Fouad: Yep and that was a big..for you and for your work, it was a big pause
Karim Moussa: Completely there was a you know a series of change and ministries and and you know Egypt was not open for business actually for some time after that I was living most since 94 I left 95 I left Egypt so I was at that time going back to Egypt but you know you know I was, I paused and stayed in Dubai and, you know, I said, okay, let's just do deals, you know, outside Egypt. We were pretty much a big Egyptian-focused fund and set up.
Malak Fouad: You shifted the focus, instead of looking towards Egypt and inward, you persuaded the bank that it was better to look outward.
Karim Moussa: We had still life ammunition, capital from the fund, and we could do regional deals. So the mandate was there. Although most of our these were in Egypt because naturally we knew the country best and we were doing the best deals there. In parallel, we did this first infrastructure fund Inframed under the Union for the Mediterranean under, Mohamed Rashid's leadership at that time and we did there the first wind project, that's how we started understanding renewables, 114 MegaWatt, wind development in Jordan, which was one of the first IPPs on the defeat and tariff in the Levant. So this was a line that was already, you know, tailored to do things outside Egypt. Then... Back to setting a goal, I was telling the team, let's just look for undervalued listed companies and taking them private. So there was a theme that we focused on. We identified Damas as a very interesting company to do so with. And we ended up taking Damas private with Manai Group for a $445 million transaction. We put ourselves $85 million from our fund. And a few years later, we sold out 2X and made like, over 30% IRR or a little bit less than 2x and over 30% IRR. So that was a good deal. That was the first sort of deal. And then, but at that time, we did not have any more money. The funds were done and we had to start a new strategy.
Malak Fouad: At this point, you had only one deal in the renewable energy sector. And then it eventually evolved into Vortex down the line. Absolutely.
Karim Moussa: Q Invest, the Qataris were attempting to invest in EFG or buy, you know, EFG in 2012. And we started working with them back by the Qataris, there was a lot of capital and they, you know, they saw what we've done in the renewable space. And we've been asked to look at Turkey and try to find opportunities in the wind, specifically, like we've done in Jordan and Turkey. So with their introduction, we went a lot to Turkey. I never really managed to transact there. The Turks always think that the Arabs are going to rip them off. And the Arabs always think that the Turks are going to rip them off. So there's never a common ground on the... It dates back to the Ottomans. This is old history. So we ended up, and then the deal fell apart with Qatar investing in EFG. So I ended up again from square zero. But then I told the team, you know what, the wind is not Turkish and it's not, Egyptian or Arabic or German. And the turbine, whether you put it in the Middle East or you put it in Germany or France, it's the same turbine. Let's just go to Europe and let's pitch. We all came from Europe, most of the team as well. Bakker came from the UK. I worked in Germany. So let's just pitch them opportunities with feed-in tariff, with these government guarantees in Europe, to sovereign funds in the Middle East. The whole thing of also doing something good while you're investing, not just making money, is a thesis that I liked from day one. And if you see, we've done after that education and healthcare. And these are the only things that we do. And being a generalist, you know, buying cement and food and then, you know, hospitality and tech and everything in the same time, it doesn't work unless you're a KKR or a Blackstone. But we're a small team. You either become very good on something and then extract some value in it.
Malak Fouad: I like that though, Karim. I like that there is like you're looking for things consciously. There's a method to it.
Karim Moussa: So that was in 2014, which is the beginning of Vortex Energy. And also thanks to EFG Holding and thanks to Karim Awad specifically, which is a company that really supports this innovation, which is very important. So I went to Karim and I told him, look, if we buy wind farms in France, for 200 million, 100 million in equity and 100 million in debt, Will you give me 5 million So I can put 5% of the equity? He said you're going to buy wind farms in France With what money? Like we'll raise it from Abu Dhabi He said, okay, of course. If you raise 100 million, I'll give you 5 million, of
Malak Fouad: course, he never thought you'd do it, huh?
Karim Moussa: Went to Abu Dhabi, he told him, look, would you buy, Would you invest in, in operating wind farms and we put 5 million of our own money, you put 95 million we put we get debt for the remainder and you know they were laughing at us. Have you ever done anything in renewable energy? Of course not but, we're not going to do a blind pool. This is a specific deal. And long story short, we've convinced them. We went to the seller which was ETP the Portuguese utility Mr. Jaumann Zonetto, the CEO there, was laughing at us. I remember that meeting. He told us, you're a bunch of cowboys, but I like you. Are you guys going to deliver us? I guess we just come to Abu Dhabi once and we will deliver.
Malak Fouad: But it's interesting, Karim, because you must have, at that time, it must have been really the seed of the idea for Abu Dhabi and the UAE to begin looking at renewables as a strategy.
Karim Moussa: It must have been at the very beginning of the thing. Yeah, we were, as a manager, we were one of the first to get their allocation into renewables. And in 2014, remember, Malak, this is before the Paris Agreement. Nobody was talking about net zero at that time.
Malak Fouad: Climate change wasn't on the agenda.
Karim Moussa: I remember going to Naguib Sawiris, he asked me actually, why, why invest in renewables? He didn't understand the thesis of it. People were just asking us why, why are you doing this? Such a niche, you know. But we ended up buying, 334 MegaWatts of 34 operating wind assets in France. We created Vortex One for 200 million. EFG put the 5 million, 95 came from Abu Dhabi, and 100 million from Deutsche Bank. And immediately after, we paid a 10% cash yield on that investment. So it was very, very good. And they've asked us for more. And this is how it started. And we were just doing the vortexes after that. The second one was a much bigger portfolio. By that time, you know, the Paris Agreement came. In 2016, we invested in Portugal before Portugal was even investment grade.
Malak Fouad: And why did the business move to Spain eventually? Why did you leave France and move everything to Spain?
Karim Moussa: Spain is by far the most advanced country in the energy transition and renewable energy. By far, you know, globally, you know, in Europe and on a global stage. And then now we're... Why is that, Karim?
Malak Fouad: I'm just curious. Why did Spain become more than...
Karim Moussa: They started very early on. A lot of their engineers are from Spain. They went through retroactive changes and adopted their system. They invested in their grade. They invested in regulations. They have a very big country with lots of empty land and lots of good resources in wind and so on. So it's always, you know, in terms of standards, it's miles ahead of everything else. But in 2016, it wasn't the case. We liked it because we had a trusted partner. It was the same utility. They had a portfolio. We ended up, you know, buying 664 MegaWatts of a wind portfolio in Portugal, Spain, Belgium, and France. And this deal was in the neighborhood of 550 million. And the equity was like 200 something million. We've raised that same model, 5% comes from EFG and 95% from investors. And then Vortex 3, the first time we go into the solar space, we acquired a portfolio of solar assets in the UK. Also was troubled Terraform Power and SunEdison was from bankruptcy. And so it was always something to unlock there. And here in a period of a few years we invested over 1.6 billion in equity and debt.
Malak Fouad: And does Vortex have a footprint in Egypt? Because I know that the solar business is becoming a big thing in Egypt or are you an outside, out of the country business?
Karim Moussa: We're just primarily looking at these European markets and the reason was the Arab spring. I mean we started investing outside because the markets at that time that was attractive for renewable energy was Jordan and Egypt. You know, they had feed-in tariffs. It was interesting. But, you know, the geopolitical dynamics and currency exposure to an extent. And again, remind you the history of where we came from with our legacy. So we, I was just like, we said, okay, and it worked.
Malak Fouad: Is today that thinking shifting or changing? Is Egypt on your radar now? Yeah. Because everything you described about Spain fits Egypt. Huge swathes of land in the middle that have nothing on them. You put solar panels.
Karim Moussa: Now with Egypt liberalizing the electricity market and the subsidies going away and all of that becomes a much more interesting environment to invest.
Malak Fouad: I want to ask you, because it's something we talked about in our last call. You mentioned about how you like the concept of decentralization when it comes to the businesses you're running. Why do you like it? What is it about the decentralized model that appeals to you?
Karim Moussa: I think the era of having a country head and, you know, and the product head and the coverage head and layers of, you know, organization and politics, at least in our buy-side business, doesn't work. And, you know, when you're an investor, you're an investor. And, you know, a portfolio manager takes care of his portfolio and invests, you know, and he wants just to, you know, invest and divest and create returns for the investors. So when I took over, I we said, okay, let's just decentralize, make it a multi boutique sort of, platform, you can add products. At the moment, we have three and we'll focus on these three in the private equity space. And then we have FIM doing our regional asset management run by one CIO and his PMs and Nabil Moussa in Egypt running Egypt asset management with his PMs. And then each of effectively the product heads for our verticals and private equity.
Malak Fouad: Is that an EFG policy or is that something that you like to do within your spheres?
Karim Moussa: It's a policy I, you know, developed with Karim Awad.
Malak Fouad: I see. So it's a bank-wide structure.
Karim Moussa: Yeah, when I took over, we were sitting with, With the holding, with Karim, you know, being also, you know, a supervisor of all of this and also a capital provider for a lot of our businesses. We came up with that solution-oriented buy-side platform. Because every business is completely different. Investing in wind farms in France and Spain has nothing to do with buying, you know, Haya School and Selah ElTelmeez in Egypt. Yeah. What we do as the juniors, when you start at EFG and our BuySide platform, as an analyst and associate, you do everything. You work on everything. You can work on Vortex deals. You can work on some schools' deals, whatever we have. And once you sort of move up, you take a view on where you're going to be.
Malak Fouad: You make a choice.
Karim Moussa: You make a choice. And then, you know, you lose one of these words.
Malak Fouad: Yeah, yeah. So talk to me about education. It started in 2019. What was the thinking behind creating a fund for education?
Karim Moussa: The thesis worked. We're by far the largest student population in the region, 25 million of students' population. Next one in Saudi Arabia was 6.5 million. We have 90% of our K-12 students in public schools. The public schools have issues. They're overcrowded. there's not a lot of funding, that 10% of private schools need to increase substantially I mean in the UAE there's 73% of private schools, so there is an opportunity for private capital to make an impact, The problem is that, again, we had zero track record.
Malak Fouad: But by this stage, you're leveraging your previous involvement in the two, you know, the private equity platform into Vortex. You have the name of EFG behind you.
Karim Moussa: Going to some family offices, in the Gulf and telling them I bought wind farms in France and I want to buy a school in Egypt. They'll laugh at it. And so you have to start in a way and a little bit different. And that's how we also came up with how we started so, Again, thanks to the gentleman, I mentioned his name before, Karim Awad, who did some interesting stuff supporting us and me. I heard that GEMS was thinking of opening up in Egypt, so that's a great operator. So I went to Sweeney Barki and Dino Barki.
Malak Fouad: Is GEMS a UAE-based group?
Karim Moussa: Yeah, a very large one.
Malak Fouad: Yes, I've seen them in the UAE, but I wasn't sure if they were UAE or if they were an import.
Karim Moussa: They have like 40,000 students or so. Yes, yes. He was one of the largest strong operators in the region. So they had an attempt in Egypt and Alexandria did not work some years ago. And they were trying to find someone to show them the way in Egypt. We did this at that time 50/50 joint venture. And I told them, look, you know. And I then went to Mr. Hisham Talat, who had schools in Madinty and Rehab communities , besides the hotels and besides the real estate. You know, I figured that might not be core. And, you know, we could sell it. And, you know, with the relationships of EFG, we went and spoke to him and, you know, we ended up convincing him to sell to us. And we bought his four scores, three in Madinaty and one in Rehab, on balance sheet because I didn't have a fund nor a track record. Bought in GEMS to operate them and now had all the right ingredients. I had spoons already in the portfolio. I had one of the best operator, you know, in the market operating them. And then we went front rate. And in a matter of three months, we've raised $150 million. What do you see? One of the easiest fund launches that we had before.
Malak Fouad: And how many schools are part of the fund now, are part of the portfolio now?
Karim Moussa: Now we have 25 assets. You know, assets is across many things. So we own Selah ElTelmeez, which is a beautiful business that, you know, does books for 4 million students. We produce 20 million books a year. We own a transportation business that does purely bus transportation with the right health and safety, with the right application and tracking system for our, schools and others with transporting 3,000 students on a daily basis. We own kindergartens under the platform called Trillium and we own El-Haya, East and West. We bought it and opened another one. Now we're taking El-Haya to Saudi Arabia.
Malak Fouad: And are you only in Cairo in Egypt? Did you send originally the GEMS?
Karim Moussa: No, we're in Alexandria as well. And we're in Soma Bay.
Malak Fouad: And are you looking to move further afield into the other governorates in Egypt?
Karim Moussa: Yeah, we're open to expanding. We're actually just under that platform. We've announced the university with, Hisham Talat and Noor City earlier this year. So that's interesting.
Malak Fouad: And what is MindSpire?
Karim Moussa: MindSpire. So last year in 2025, we replicated the same model and the same story in Saudi Arabia. As I mentioned, it's the second largest market, has very similar problems. You know, obviously, they're more cash rich than Egypt, but 85% of their students are in public schools. Only 15%, as mentioned, you know, over 70% in the UAE are in private schools. So they're lagging behind even the GCC sort of benchmarks. They need massive amount of, of schools, I mean, the studies are around 400,000 seats, you know, by 2030 that means like, you know, every week there's two schools that need to open a new from now to then. Obviously, Egypt is not Saudi so we had to look for a Saudi team and we sent some of our Egyptians to Saudi and, But that time we could raise a fund because we had the track record, we had the story, we had the operator and we had the know-how of operating and we could go into Egypt. And by the way, the synergies are there. You know, Egypt over decades ago, the teachers, all the curriculums were all based out of Egypt back in the days in the Gulf and in Saudi Arabia. So we did not reinvent the wheel by sending teachers or doing teachers-training from Egypt to Saudi Arabia. This is something that's been there since decades.
Malak Fouad: Absolutely. It just went
Karim Moussa: Down in quality in the last few decades. And we're here to revive it again because, you know, we are Arabic-speaking. We have the same culture, same religion.
Malak Fouad: And there's traditionally been synergy in education between Egypt and Saudi for, as you said, for decades.
Karim Moussa: Absolutely. In education and in healthcare. Two sectors. We're now in our second year and, you know, we're over $250 million of commitment. We've got all the big families subscribing into it and supporting us. And we felt at one point of time Egypt education platform, Saudi education platform. It's a bit boring.
Malak Fouad: It sounds German though, Karim. MindSpire.
Karim Moussa: I have nothing to do with it.
Malak Fouad: A little German accent.
Karim Moussa: MindSpire with a pen. So we've launched the brand. So it's a, and again, it's not a brand of a school. It's a brand of a holding that has multiple brands on there. We own the brand, the GEMS in Egypt, or we have a franchise agreement in Saudi. We have Haya, we have Trillium, we can add a lot of other brands. So it's a holding brand.
Malak Fouad: Are you looking eventually to roll the concept out into other markets in the Middle East? Are there other markets where this can be a viable proposition?
Karim Moussa: The answer is yes, yeah.
Malak Fouad: Like Jordan, maybe? Palestine?
Karim Moussa: Smaller markets, but you know, there are markets that are coming, you know, starting from scotch, like Iraq. Massive big market with lots of demand so but we're so busy now we just started last year in Saudi so just we need to, you know, Steps first one by one before we run to another thing.
Malak Fouad: So Karim, I want us to move on into a sort of a lighter part. You're constantly on a plane from all these different locations. What do you do to relax?
Karim Moussa: Well, I'm starting farming in Spain.
Malak Fouad: As a hobby?
Karim Moussa: As a hobby. What are you going to farm?
Malak Fouad: What are you farming?
Karim Moussa: All type of vegetables and fruits. And I'm getting chicken and donkeys soon.
Malak Fouad: I love this. Why did you go with that?
Karim Moussa: I love nature. I love being in nature. I try to do a lot of sports, and listen to music.
Malak Fouad: So we're going to end with a signature feature of the show, which is called the lightning round. And I'm just going to throw out some sentences to you and just don't think too much, just answer. All right? So if you had 25 hours in a day, what would you do with that extra hour?
Karim Moussa: Sleep.
Malak Fouad: Considering all you're doing and traveling all these places, I think sleep is a valid answer.
Karim Moussa: Reflect is a better one. Yeah, reflect is the right one. That's one of the things I keep on doing by reading these books now.
Malak Fouad: Don't you find that being on a plane is a very good place to reflect because you're kind of suspended?
Karim Moussa: Yeah, if you actually make it a point to reflect, because you can actually also, you know, now with the internet, be on your WhatsApp and, you know, start scrolling and watch a movie. And the plane is not, but if you really, you know, make it a point that you use that time to do this. Yeah, yeah.
Malak Fouad: Adrenaline junkie or beach-bum?
Karim Moussa: Adrenaline junkie.
Malak Fouad: The buzz of starting a new division or the business or satisfaction of seeing a business grow and mature?
Karim Moussa: Can I answer both?
Malak Fouad: Yeah, you can answer both. You like the beginning part where it's all exciting and new and then you like to
Karim Moussa: see it grow. Yes, it's like saying you like apples more or oranges. I mean, I like both.
Malak Fouad: So before I go on with the rest of the lightning round, which of the three divisions is the most exciting? Private equity, Vortex, education fund, or is that a cyclical thing?
Karim Moussa: It really goes, yeah. My team gets jealous when I spend more time with one side and not the other side. But it's really, it depends on the times. When you are building, raising money, and you're still, you need to focus on one area a bit more when the other one is investing or portfolio managing. And, you know, now we're going to go with, you know, Ignis and exiting exits. So we just have to spend more time, you know. So it's really, it flows over the years.
Malak Fouad: One of the things I'm doing with all my guests this year is, you know, we're at a point, I think, globally, both economically, geopolitically, with AI, we're at an inflection point, I feel. And so I'm asking people to look ahead. We've spent a lot of time looking back at your life, at your pivot points, but I want you to look ahead and I want you to think about what are the things you're excited about, about what's coming up?
Karim Moussa: It is very... Interesting to think about what's coming up because, I mean, nobody can read the room as we speak. It's changing so fast. But if I am an optimist, you know, I hope this is where we're going to go. It's like, we're going to do what we're doing with the help of a lot of, you know, computing resources with much more higher efficiency, which will allow us to do much more than we would like to do, you know, whether it means more business, you know, or, you know, go farming or do something else on the side. But I hope that, you know, a lot of the work that we will outsource to the computers, will free up our resources to do more work, or develop somewhere else. And that's exciting.
Malak Fouad: It is exciting. Thinking in the same sort of global issues. What are the areas you're worried about?
Karim Moussa: All these... strange, you know, geopolitical dynamics that we also cannot read. And I, you know, I'm sad that we're going through these times. Very sad.
Malak Fouad: Do you also worry about the negativity of AI or the doomsday element of AI?
Karim Moussa: You know, I try not to worry about too much about it. I'm trying to, you know, when Internet came, we were all worried about Internet and we were, you know, and we were all knowing what was going to happen. And it ended up in a very positive way. And I hope also we can control the direction, of that power into a positive way.
Malak Fouad: Yeah, I hope so. If you had to choose another profession, what would you do?
Karim Moussa: I would do exactly the same thing.
Malak Fouad: Really?
Karim Moussa: Yes.
Malak Fouad: You felt like you landed in the right place?
Karim Moussa: I like what I do.
Malak Fouad: What's your favorite activity?
Karim Moussa: Being in nature.
Malak Fouad: Nice. What's your least favorite activity?
Karim Moussa: Doing routine work.
Malak Fouad: Okay. I'm going to say the beginning of a sentence and I want you to end it. I have a hard time.
Karim Moussa: Slowing down.
Malak Fouad: I get joy from.
Karim Moussa: Love.
Malak Fouad: That's it.
Karim Moussa: Okay.
Malak Fouad: Thank you so much. That was really a great conversation. I really enjoyed it. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for joining me today. I'm Malak Fouad and this episode was produced by Chirag Desai. We'll have a brand new guest in a couple of weeks. But before that, we'll be airing the panel discussion that I moderated in mid-May as part of the AI Summit that came to you from the amazing team at the Narrative Summit and e&. I hope you can join me then.