In 2021, John Dickson has a challenge for you: Read at least 100 pages of the Bible. As an adult ... with all your grown up questions activated. It can take it.
This episode is brought to you by Zondervan Academic’s new book How to Fight Racism by Jemar Tisby.
- Meet our guest Dan Kimball
- Read more of the Finder survey that explored how many Americans make NY resolutions.
- And that Forbes Magazine article about how many will actually accomplish those resolutions.
- Here’s the full list of the most common NY resolutions according to “Polly” the artificial intelligence operated by the market research firm Advanced Symbolics Inc.
- Read the study that found that for around a half of adults today and two-thirds of under-25s, the Bible has absolutely no significance in their personal lives.
- Here's why might you want to read the Bible, even if you’re not a Christian. Dr Meredith Lake from the ABC wrote this piece for The Conversation in 2017 about why our decline in biblical literacy matters:
"Biblical stories and symbols have also inspired visual artists such as Grace Cossington Smith, Arthur Boyd and Margaret Preston. Reg Mombassa’s popular creation, “Australian Jesus”, offers a subversive take on the gospels.
"Each of these Australians has found the Bible an enlarging influence on the imagination. Audiences can easily miss key elements of their work without a degree of biblical literacy."
- Or check out this book by John Dickson’s friend, and co-founder of The Centre for Public Christianity Dr Greg Clarke, The Great Bible Swindle, written especially for those who feel that they should know something about the world's most influential text, but may have been afraid to ask.
- Watch The West Wing scene about the Old Testament in modern times.
- Were footballs ever made of pigskins?
- Meet our 5 Minute Jesus author this episode, Laurel Moffatt.
- Christopher Hitchens speaking to Vanity Fair on the Ten Commandments
Swing low: The campaign against slavery was a shining jewel in the collection of social changes that swept the 19th century. However history shows us it was clearly not a secular viewpoint that set people free.
Make 2021 TO ETOS TES BIBLOU, ‘The Year of the Bible’
Take up John Dickson’s challenge of reading at least 100 pages of the Bible this year. Here’s his Top Ten Old and New Testament Bible passages to get you started.
Here’s some links to translations John Dickson recommends:
We've got top quality Ts in medium, large and x-large that will help you promote the show and do your own bit of undeceiving. Head to undeceptions.com later this week - they'll be ready for purchase soon.
What is Undeceptions with John Dickson?
Every week on Undeceptions we’ll explore some aspect of life, faith, history, culture, or ethics that is either much misunderstood or mostly forgotten. With the help of people who know what they’re talking about, we’ll be trying to ‘undeceive ourselves’ and let the truth ‘out’.