Ally: So we have a special guest today. Again, another congress person or potential congressperson. This is Tim Suski. He's running for Congress in Virginia's, Virginia's first district. Um, I saw him on my TikTok, FYP, and was immediately hooked, became immediately obsessed, stalked his website, looked at all of his videos. There's something so. Refreshing about this guy. I don't even know if I can put it into words. Maybe after we're done talking with him, I'll be able to articulate it, but I'm super excited to talk to him.
Seth: Yeah, I'm pumped too because I mean, he's a, uh, millennial and, uh, we, and we love that over on this side. Uh, you know, just a. An engaging guy. Um, I, I watched a couple videos of his as well and, uh, so, so excited to talk to him. A young, millennial, progressive candidate. That's what's gonna get things to change in America.
Ally: Absolutely. Alright, let's talk to Tim and I will see you on the other side. Seth, we have a really special guest today. I'm so excited to talk to this guy. His name is Tim Solinski. Tim, are you there?
Tim: I am. Thank you so much for having me on here, Alison, this is a, this is a real pleasure for me.
Ally: Thanks for joining. So, Tim, you are running for Congress in Virginia, and when we spoke briefly, you said there was some stuff going on with your district. So explain kind of what district you're in and what district, what's going on with your districts?
Tim: You got it. So, um, I'm in Virginia, which is in the middle of a redistricting battle because it's a response to what Trump is doing in Texas and North Carolina and Florida. And I'm sure some states that will try to pull some stuff off by the 2026 election because they're gonna try to undermine the sanctity of our democracy and the values of our voices. That's just, we know this is going to happen. So Virginia's responding by trying to take our maps from a current six Democrat. Five Republican to 10 Democrats and one Republicans. Uh, there's gonna be a referendum about it and on April 21st where voters get to decide if we want the new maps or not. And I can tell you that, um, I'm voting for it even though it, even though it disadvantages candidates like me who don't have a lot in our coffers because we refuse corporate money. But when you mess with our co, with our democracy, there has to be consequences. It doesn't matter if it's gonna make it harder for me to win a primary. So we'll see how that plays out. 'cause GOP is spending millions, millions of dollars to, to try to stop it so that the playing field can't be equal. Because they know. And I think everyone here knows, you know, listening to this knows if it's an equal playing field, we win. We win 10 outta 10 times. What we do with that win is what I'm running for. And uh, that was longer answer to your question than you probably were expecting, so I'll
Ally: show effect. No, I love that. Thank you. I appreciate that. Um, not everybody's from Virginia, so it's nice to know what's going on with, you know, in other parts of the country. So tell me about who your current congressman is and how that's working out for you.
Tim: Oh, how long do you have? 'cause this guy's the worst. So it, the current congressman, his name is Rob Whitman, he actually ran for Congress the first year I could vote, which was in 2008. The fir? Yeah. Can you imagine? My first time I could vote was for Barack Obama. I was all optimistic and hopeful in retrospect, naive about what we could accomplish. Uh, and this guy came in as like a nice guy Republican who's willing to do anything, you know, for any people. And he has done nothing but sell out his constituents. Ever since he has had power, he has done nothing but enrich himself and kissed the ass of his party ever since he's become a congressman. And he gets away with it because he just, like a lot of the Republicans just engage in, look over here, not overhear politics. It's, you know, look at this person who's from a different country than you. They're the reason that you have problems. Look at this person who has darker skin than you. Look at this woman, you know, fighting for her rights. That's the reason that that our problems exist, and I think it's the lowest form of politics to blame the people with the least amount of power for all of the issues that we face. Because if we do that, if we look horizontally and not vertically, we won't see him and realize that he's not doing his job. He is so bad that he voted for the big, beautiful bill, even though. It closes our only rural hospital in his district. Wow. And it's gonna raise the healthcare prices of tens of thousands of his constituents. Does he does, he doesn't care. No, because he's enriched himself with, with insider trading. And he has been a darling for the Republican party with committee assignments and lavish fundraisers. The day the, the government shut down, when I think about 90,000 people in our district lost their SNAP benefits. He went to a fundraiser and look, I wanna say that. This is only a problem on the right. It's not that we have people who aren't necessarily in tune with the lies, uh, with the lives and livelihoods of everyday people. And I just decided that I was gonna run 'cause I wanted to impact that part of our political culture. So it's not just him, he is the poster child for everything that's wrong with our politics, but it's also the political system itself that needs to change.
Ally: Yeah. I couldn't agree more.
Seth: One thing I would, you know, one I one. The first thing I wanted to ask you, man, is, so, you know, in Virginia, obviously we saw what happened in the special elections just a couple of months ago, and what I would like to know is, did you decide to run before then? If so, did were, did those results really encourage you and make you think, I've got a real shot at this, or did, did those elections may maybe sway you to say, I think now I can run and make something really happen? Uh, especially for people who are looking for young, progressive leadership.
Tim: Yeah, thanks for bringing this up. I actually announced my candidacy in September or so way before those, those elections where you saw like this big blue wave type style election, which was definitely a response to Donald Trump's first year in office, which is marked with failure and cowardice and corruption and terrible things. You know, again, we don't have that kind of time right now, but um, I actually, my background is in community organizing. I do organizing in environmental justice, mostly in rural America, but also in some suburban and urban areas as well. I work with communities regardless of who they voted for, because. Whether it's big tech or big pollution, these people just deserve to have someone who has their back, who understands the political system and why it's strategically designed to disadvantage them. And I have a lot of Ws in that area of help stop data centers from being built literally 50 feet away from neighborhoods. I've helped stop landfills that would poison an area that DC and Richmond had forgot about, um, in southwest Virginia where they don't even have a fully functional waste system in place and they all rely on well water, but. One of my more recent things was now, and it was a group of people in Cumberland County that nobody's ever heard of trying to fight a landfill from being built literally, uh, 600 feet away from one of the first black schools in Virginia. And this type of landfill is a, is a shell landfill. So it's above ground. So it's literally going be casting the legacy of racism. A shadow of the legacy of racism will be casted on that school. And the thing is, they did everything they were supposed to do. They said, if you have opposition, go this way. If you wanna make an argument about the evidence, send it here. You can show a big force of opposition. Come to this meeting. They did everything they were supposed to do and it wasn't enough. They did everything the system was asked them to do and it wasn't enough. And it's not because the, they failed the process. It's the system that failed them. And it was that moment, literally when I was sitting in that. In that audience, and I gave a speech about how they have this opportunity to say, just because those people have more money than you, doesn't mean that they mean matter than you. But when the book came across, that's exactly what happened. That is exactly what, what came down. And that was the moment I saw, I just gotta run for Congress because we have to shape this political system in a way that works with people, not against them. And it shouldn't matter how much money you make, your voice matters to me, and it should matter to everybody in Congress. The House of Representatives was designed to be the most accessible part of our federal government. That sounds like a fucking joke right now. Sorry, I cursed. But that's what it's, you know, like you can't call up your congressman and get a meeting with them, but if you're a lobbyist, you certainly can. If you're a big donor, you certainly can. And if you have a system like that. The economic system itself is prime to breed hatred. It is prime to cast, uh, polarization and, and spread division. And that's how Trump came to power. That's how people like my congressmen stay in power. It's because everyone's looking for someone to blame except for the people who are responsible. And that is what needs to change. And the only way that changes is if we give people more power. I fully believe that.
Ally: I love that. That's great. Um, and kudos to you, you know, for meeting the moment with, you know, I'm sure that vote must have been so discouraging, um, not just for you but the community and to take that and turn it into an opportunity to hopefully an enact change for your community members is really admirable. Thanks. So. You popped up in my TikTok, FYP. That's how I found you. And the first clip I saw, I think is your most recent post, which we will put up here.
Tim: We have to be the part party that fights hard. We have to be the one that fights for people. And fighting means that we, we are bold and we are brash, and we are obnoxious about the truth that Trump and his MAGA acolytes are about misinformation, half truths and missing context. We have to understand, and I think this is true throughout the entire history of our country, that the road to progress is not run through politicians. It runs through people. And this is a moment when people are ready to do something
Ally: and you hooked me. And so of course I had to stalk you a little bit. I went to your website, the reformist agenda. Tell me about that. What does that mean?
Tim: Thanks for bringing that up. And I call myself a reformist Democrat because when you're in the public eye, people are gonna provide labels for you regardless. You know, someone's gonna call me a socialist or a communist or what. They can call me whatever they want. This is fine. This is what I signed up for, but if I get to call myself anything, I believe it's. Or we believe in anything it's performed. Right? So I wanted to just talk about not the de the typical issues that Democrats always talk about. You know, a, a fair economy, dignity, rights, justice. These are things and values that I believe in. That's why I continue to vote for the Democratic Party, but. As someone who's worked inside and outside of politics, including leaving the United States Senate because I did not like how the balance, uh, or how the, the scales were imbalanced towards people with money and got into community organizing and political advocacy from the outside, there are things that are very specific that keep people's voices stifled. And so the reformist agenda, which I may be changing to a fair shot agenda 'cause I think everyone in this country deserves a fair shot, um, is chose to address those issues. The number one thing. I say this with every bit of respect that I have, but also every inch of conviction in my heart. If you are not willing to fight big money in politics, you are not willing to fight for everyday families. Full stop. I will never be ever convinced otherwise because I've seen it happen too much time, too many times. Um, the second thing is our economy is. Our economy's unfair. You know, every time there's an economic downturn, they always ask everyday families to tighten their bouts. They always ask our schools and our hospitals and people who are the lifeblood of this, of, of this country who make sure that we have essential services and who had to stay home or who couldn't stay home like me during COVID, and were out there. Those are the same people who are impacted the most by these Medicaid cuts. By the way. Meanwhile, all we did was make a tax cut for corporations, and that's been our economic system since the eighties. We actually tax corporate greed. And hoarded billionaire wealth less than we tax hard work. So it's time to flip the script. One of the best ways to do that is to is, is to make sure that we actually provide a 4% tax reduction in income tax that will affect 82% of Americans, and we pay for it by taxing corporate greed more. And I want it to be Democrats who push for this. I wanna be able to go to rural areas and say, I'm the one trying to increase your pay. The price of everything else is going. But not your paychecks. And that's 'cause these greedy corporations who I want them to pay their fair share. And I know what'll happen. The only times I've ever gotten death threats on social media is when I talk about taxing the rich more. It's kind of wild to think about. And so I know that the Republicans will are just conditioned to flex into place and say, no, no, no, we're against this. I want that contrast to be on full display. And then the third thing is just ethical reform and incentivizing good behavior by elected officials. Bid stock, stock trading. There's no question we have to do that. Or insider trading. Excuse me. We have to ban insider trading. We have to put in mandatory town halls. For example, the guy I'm running against, Rob Whitman, he hasn't done a town hall since 2017.
Ally: Ugh.
Tim: Because he thought people, yeah, 'cause people were mean to him, right. People were mean. This is the most controversial thing you can do. This is the hardest thing we have to do, and that is what we signed up for. And if you wanna be a public servant, you have to do things that are hard. I don't understand why that's such a big deal for some people in power. Um, and the, the most, I think, unique idea that I have is something I call democracy dollars. This helps us compete with big money. 'cause I think, again, level playing field, we win. We win every single time. That is $500 of your taxpayer money being dedicated to you that you can send to any federal candidate of your choice. So, $500 to Allison, where the first time in your life. You get to say exactly where your taxpayer money goes. You could say, I have $500 dedicated to me. I wanna send 50 to Tim Zelensky. I don't wanna send a hundred to this candidate, or $500 to this candidate. And what that does is incentivize candidates to go into communities and hear what it's actually like to struggle. Instead of being on the phone 12 hours a day, calling people who can give you the max donation. Those people, I'm sure have concerns that are legitimate, but they don't struggle. Like the people who can't afford a lobbyist. Yeah, I want more politicians to be incentivized to go to them. And if we do that, I swear in two elections, we'll have completely different political culture. So these are the the underlying issues that I'm trying to address that allowed Trump to come to power that has allowed the erosion of our democracy, and that will make. You know, our future just a little bit brighter. I, I don't know about you guys, but I am, I'm tired of looking up and being disappointed. I want to just feel something hopeful again. And if I can do that by changing our system even just a little bit, then that's worth fighting for every time it's worth fighting for.
Seth: That's a beautiful thing, man. Yeah. And you know, as a millennial, as a fellow millennial, uh, I get really excited when I see guys like you because this, the change isn't gonna come unless we have a youth movement, because right now it just feels like a bunch of old people are yelling at each other. You know, BB and Trump are old. They're yelling at a 78-year-old. I told Khomeini, I mean, it's just a bunch of old men yelling at each other, trying to. Keep what little power they have for as long as they have. So, uh, it's great to to see you come out and do your thing. What I would like to know is, you know, who politically inspired you. You know, in your, as you've been, you know, educating yourself, maybe some politicians that, uh, that inspired you to come out, um, and, you know, and, and put action behind your words, and then, you know, how does that inform the race that you're running and kind of, uh, separate you from your primary candidate or primary, pardon me? Your primary opponent?
Tim: Just, you know, it's a great question and I just kind of think in being inspired by politicians is just not my thing. Um, I was, I was raised by my mom who's a historian, and so I grew up hearing about stories of peak pivotal moments in our country, and the people who showed up to be truly transformational we're always underdogs, I think of. Fannie Lou Hamer, which a lot of people don't think of in the Civil Rights movement. Mm-hmm. You know that phrase, I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired.
Ally: Yes.
Tim: Came from her and she did not even have a high school education, and yet she became a voice of an entire generation of people fighting for basic dignity and rights in our country. I think about. People, um, in the labor movement who were just told they have to work seven days a week. Their kids have to work seven days a week. And even though the odds were against them, they fought back and they won anyway. I mean, you know, since my mom is very much a, a very prideful feminist, like I heard all about the women's suffrage movement, not just in America, but across the world. And that's the thing, it's, I think that when people without the pa, the power that's on paper realize that. Just because everything else in our system tells you that if you're not rich enough, therefore you're not powerful enough to stop them. The best moments in our history that have benefited the most of the majority of us, they have come from people who prove that mentality wrong and. That's what I'm trying to do right now. I don't take corporate money. I am the poorest candidate by far in my primary, and that's okay. Uh, because I'm not wealthy and well connected, so I can't just have a house party with 20 people who can give me $5,700 max out their donation. I could, I'd win this primary right now, but it's supposed to be hard. They're supposed to be the people with the least. And doing something for them. That's the true measure of progress in our country. The people who are, uh, left out in the cold, that's how strong, strong we are as a country is if we're making sure that their voices are a part of the process too. So, you know, FDR maybe just because he thought that the government should be part of making sure we can lift people up, and he also believed that if we didn't do that, our, our system would fall into fascism. I mean, that's what happened. The same time that he became President Hitler and Mussolini came to power. He knew. That if America didn't deliver for the American people, we would have a situation like we are having exactly right now. Mm-hmm. So the the, this is not just me trying to act like, you know, I'm pushing some agenda. There's a reason I call myself a reformist. That's not just about my policy, but that's the way we think about how government works. And if we don't do that, we're gonna continue to slide into a dark period that I'm afraid we won't be able to get out of. But if we do, and if I don't win my primary, because I know I'll beat Rob Whitman a thousand times over, but. I'm still gonna fight. And that's the moment we need to think about right now. 'cause everything is under attack. Everything's on the line. People's dignity and rights is on the lines. And if we're gonna respect that 2026, not 20 28, 20 26 is the time to do it.
Ally: Yeah.
Seth: And since we are in the primary, you know, because you know the Democrats right now, we get to, we get to kind of, uh, pick our, our dream candidates, right? So yes. Given that you, right now you're running against your fellow Democrats, what, what makes you different, uh, from the people that, that you're running against?
Tim: So, uh, you know what, if I could be petty for just one minute, was that okay with you?
Ally: We
Tim: love petty. The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, um, has already endorsed somebody in our primary. Hmm. They've already made sure that she could fundraise $3 million. Um, this is five months before our primary, and this is the thing, a lot of people don't realize this, but because I've worked in politics for so long, primaries in the abstract to most everyday people is like, this is the time to have a battle of ideas, a confluence of policies, and an outreach that helps build the base. And if you have a lot of primary candidates, that's exactly what happens. But if you don't, that's how we get politicians who are out of touch. So the D CCCs already endorsed someone, um, who lost her last election because she took over, she took over a million dollars from our state's biggest polluter and energy company that has. Raised our bills to in an unaffordable amount. I mean, this is the reason. And look, she, she might be a very good person and she might be able to take some bad money and do some good, but the reason I won't do it is if I ever get in a position where I believe in something and I wanna vote for it, it happens to benefit a corporation. And I tell you, no, believe me, you shouldn't believe. Yeah, you shouldn't. I wouldn't. Um, so the what makes me stick out, I don't know. That's struck me people to decide. I don't believe in assuming that people are gonna like me 'cause of my community organizing experience. I don't think people are gonna hear my words and think, oh, this is exactly what we should, uh, we should just take this at face values. I have to earn this, I have to earn this every single way. And that's the thing. I'm not asking for people to give me a lot of money. I am not asking for people to just take me for my word. I'm asking people to let, to give me a chance. If you want to talk and you're my district, or even if you're outside of my district, if you're just somebody who's struggling with something and think that the federal government has a role to make sure that when you are knocked down we can stretch out our arms and pull you back up, then I want to hear from you. That's not noble, by the way. I think this is just the standard we should be used to, and it's gonna take people trying to redefine how campaigns are run, and that's what I'm trying to do and it's harder. Just stop giving a shit of what's politically convenient a long time ago. You don't stand in arm, in arm with communities that I will fight with and the people that I talk to and think, you know, it's, it's never gonna change. We have to do it ourselves. We just have to do it ourselves.
Ally: Absolutely. And so you said no corporate PAC money. What about foreign interest? What about APAC money?
Tim: No, God no.
Ally: Okay. I have to
Tim: ask. I have to ask. I totally understand. It's, and thank you for asking the question, but No, I, I and I, I, I don't even, I, I have a, I don't even think I'll be in the opportunity to take money from specific organizations that I like. I want this to be truly grassroots. Yeah. And I have enough money to file for the ballot. I, and that's enough. 'cause you know, I'm a community organizer. I know how to get a volunteer network and I want to compete one-to-one with big money. That's what I want. I, I, it would be nice to have a little bit more. Pay people, but this is it no matter what. I will not drop out. I have enough money to pay for the ballot, which is $4,000, by the way, and not a lot after that. But that's okay. 'cause I'm, we just gotta deal, we gotta do what we can with the cards we've been dealt, but, and we're gonna get there. Yeah, go ahead. Sorry.
Ally: We're gonna, we're gonna get you how people can help you. Um, 'cause I have a feeling people are really gonna like you. 'cause I really like you and I can see Seth's face over there and I know Seth really likes you. You are saying all the things. We've been waiting a long time. I am Gen X, I'm 53 years old. I've been waiting a long time for these types of candidates to pop up in my party and get away from establishment Dems. So. I'm, the more you say, the more I like. Um, now in terms of your primary opposition, any debates? What, how does that play out?
Tim: That would be nice if we had them. Uh, but so far, I mean, there's an excuse not to do it, I guess right now. And that's because the districts might change. So right now there's nine of us in this district, and then after April 21st, we might get split into different districts. Um, I'm a paycheck to paycheck guy who is a renter. So it's kind of choose your own adventure for me, whereas everyone else owns their houses and which I'm happy that they are, by the way. I'm not, I'm not, I don't think that's, that's a problem. But I have a little bit more flexibility to go, hopefully, where Rob Whitman goes and expose his record. Um, but that's kind of the, the deal. But I do think. You know, if we're serious about democracy, the only way you can do that is by making sure that we are presenting our candidates to as many people as possible. And that has not been the case so far in this campaign. And you know, one of the reasons, and I don't think that this is unreasonable saying, is that there's been a lot of rallying in one, one candidate that the D Triple C told us that's the person that they wanna support. That's okay. That's part of the process. I think it's part of the, of the process that expose how broken our politics is. This is so what I'm what? Me and some other candidates we're friends, by the way. I'm friends with a lot of the other millennial candidates and I'm not rooting against them. I'm just rooting for myself more. We're trying to set up our own town halls. We're trying to set up our own forums so that people realize that or people see on full display how politics is supposed to work. Um, you know, sometimes that costs a little bit more money than we're willing to shell out, but. Again, this is, if there was ever a time to be insurgent about away campaigns run, it's this time because the stakes are too high. If we don't do enough to elect the right people in 2026, I'm not convinced we're gonna get 2028. I'm really not.
Ally: I, I feel the same way. I know Seth does as well. So you talked about kind of the, um, the vote that that. Ignited in you a desire to, um, to run for Congress. Tell me what are the challenges that your district is facing in general and how do you plan to serve your constituents and help them in those challenges?
Tim: 90,000 of my, of my constituents or the hope to be constituents, uh, go to bed, hunger every single night. This is the richest country in the world. I'll never be able to square those two things at the same time. Um, I think about. 16,000 are going to lose healthcare and another 30,000 are going to have healthcare skyrocket. Um, in the coming months, I call every single donor regardless of how much money they give me. And the people who give me $25 or more, they're usually like, I just like you. I don't need you to call me. People who gimme $25 or less, I get a lot of $5 donor donations. Um, they would just wanna talk because they've said that this is the only time opportunity I've ever had to someone who is seeking power. I think right there is a testament to how bad our political system is at treating people with dignity. Mm-hmm. Um, and oftentimes I hear the story and I just refund the $5 because they could use it.
Ally: Yeah.
Tim: The, the things I hear most about is hunger, taking care of their kids in healthcare. Um. I think that the only reason we have this healthcare system that we do is because healthcare companies spent a billion dollars in 2024 on lobbying and campaign contributions. Mm-hmm. They also get. Almost a trillion dollars of our direct taxpayer money that goes straight to private health insurance companies that they just take and then turn around and raise our healthcare prices every year. There is nothing about our healthcare system that isn't a, a scam and it's not very hard to make it affordable. One, we, you know, we could. Have single payer Medicare for all conversations. All we want, and we should, but if we just had a public healthcare system right now, costs would go down. 'cause the first time a private industry will have to compete with a, excuse me, a for-profit industry will have to compete with a nonprofit industry that literally lowers prices right up the gate. And these solutions are known to our elected officials. These, these. These problems can be solved very easily. I, I say this all the time. The the things that we need to do, they are not predicated on possibility or technology. They are simply matters of political will. I just wanna take all those same people that I talk to, the $5 to $10 donations and I wanna bring them to Capitol Hill with me. I want our elected officials to have to look them in the eye and say, sorry, there's nothing I can do. And if we do that and dare them to ignore us. I think then you're gonna be able to grow the base of the party of people who talk a lot more like me than people who. We'll spend all their time just ignoring the, the, the voices and the struggles of everyday people. So that's, that's how I went. I wanna be, you know, I'm not just doing this for activism, for activism's sakes. I have, I have a plan for almost everything, but as a political communication strategist, I know that the only way to get people in power to do things is to make them look like assholes for disagreeing with us.
Ally: Right?
Tim: And so I think I bring that unique perspective to do that on behalf of my constituents.
Ally: That's great. That's really great actually. Um, okay, so before we get to how everyone can support you, Seth, do you have any more questions for Tim?
Seth: I don't, I don't, I think, I think we good because I just wanted to hear, you know, what, what
Ally: kind of separate
Seth: you from your Oh,
Ally: I have one more. I have one more.
Seth: Sure.
Ally: Okay. Tim, obviously you have a background in, um, political communication strategy, so you have access to a lot more information about the process of becoming a candidate, running for office, for people out there that share a mindset. Like yours? Like ours. What? How do people run for office? I, you know, I know that there is on a local level, you know, you can go to their website and you can find out how to submit your name and all of that. Then what, like, how does that play out for most people? Because I think a lot of people don't know, and it creates a barrier between wanting to be involved at the political level and being scared because you have no idea what that entails.
Tim: I would say if anyone listening to this show who wants to run for office or has flirted with the idea of running for office, please do it because that's exactly the kind of candidates that we need. You always get business executives and lawyers. That's the vast majority of people in in office right now, and especially at the federal level. Um. Navigating it is tough, uh, but it is also Googleable. You just have to look in order where to look. I mean, so it's not, and some of it is kind of chicken and the egg, but stuff. So for me example, um, I don't use any big businesses for any of the things that I do, including my bank account. My campaign bank account. And, uh, you can't get certified as a candidate before you have a bank account, but you can't get a bank account unless you get certified for as a candidate. And then you also have to navigate different things by the state. So like in Virginia, in order to get on the ballot, you need to pay $3,700 just to get your name on the ballot, which I think. It's purposely designed. Yeah. It's designed to price people out. Yeah. I mean, this is another reason why I want my democracy dollars planned to do it. I don't think it just strengthens our democracy. By incentivizing your typical candidates, I think you get people who aren't typical candidates to be able to now have access to run for office, right? So they can just go to their family and friends and say, can you give me your $500? And now I got enough money to just navigate these simple structures. Um, and. Like there's, I wanna give you like a universal easy approach to how to do this. There's some organizations that specialize in it, in particular. But it's, it's different based off where you are, where you live. Yeah. I would say that the same, yeah, e exactly. Where you live. Exactly. The, but it is possible, it is possible for anyone to do it, but some things are more expensive, you know, like if, if I'm those people that I organize in Southwest Virginia, they're not gonna have the money, just the startup money to get a website. You know, and to be able to pay for that $4,000 right out the gate and also know the things you're supposed to know in order to be in a bank account. Yeah. And which took me three months, by the way, before I could even get one. Wow. Because of those things. And you know, this actually speaks to another part of our political system, is we have over complicated it. We have made it so that you have to have some foundational knowledge in order to just get your foot in the door. And because that is designed to exhaust us, so many people who would be good at this will never get a chance to even entertain that notion in their mind.
Ally: Right.
Tim: So I just, if you know, that's perfectly thing. If there's anyone who wants to reach out to me via my website and wants to know how exactly they can do what I'm doing right now. I will be happy to do it. And after this campaign, I've been flirting with the idea of writing a short book about how all the things that I went to and, and how I
Ally: got there. I would love to see that. But also I want you to win your campaign, so maybe the book will have to be on the back burner. Um, okay. Tim, honestly, what a pleasure. You are a breath of fresh air. Thank you. I mean, you are exactly the type of candidates that we have been seeking for this podcast series, and I really appreciate you taking the time to meet with us, tell the people how they can support you and your campaign.
Tim: Thank you for saying that. So my name is Tim Solinski, reformist Democrat running a Virginia's first district. You can find me on vote tim va.com. And all of my socials are Vote Tim Va. Um, if you wanna send my campaign a direct email, it's just contact@votetimva.com. And that is not an empty offer. I try to respond to everyone that I can. I try to call everyone I can because that's not just for you, that's for me. It makes me a better candidate so that that offer is genuine and it is open.
Ally: I can attest to that, uh, audience. I reached out to Tim this morning and we are now on this. Podcast recording this conversation. So Tim is not fucking around. If you reach out to him, I feel very confident you're gonna hear back.
Seth: Um, my man is Give is giving you a call with a $5 donation. Like it doesn't get realer than that y'all. Seriously it. Seriously. And so please, you know, please give Tim a look, uh, you know, help out however you can, money donations. But if you're on the ground in Virginia, you wanna give Tim a call. 'cause not only is he a good candidate, but it sounds like he's a great grassroots organizer. And so I, I think that gives him a great advantage over a lot of candidates. 'cause a lot of candidates don't have that experience on the ground. So if you're thinking about, you know, if you don't have the money, think about volunteering your time as well.
Tim: Absolutely. That would be, that would be the best. Thank you. Thank you both for saying that, and this has been an honor of mine. Seriously. I love, thank you. Anyone who's trying to platform grassroots candidates, I, I feel indebted to for the rest of my life, honestly.
Ally: Oh, well we appreciate you saying that. We hope to be doing a lot more of this between now and primaries at midterms. When is your primary, by the way.
Tim: August 4th now fourth it, August 4th to be in June, now August 4th. Now they're moving to August 4th. So yeah. Okay. But yeah, I'd love to be considered a friend of the show, so if there's any time that meet
Ally: there, I would would too. Let's keep in touch. Tim, I, I'm digging you man. I like your vibe. I like everything you have to say. I think you have a very promising future. Um, thank you. In politics. For the right reasons, which is exactly the type of people that we get jazzed about, and that's who we're looking for. I really appreciate you coming and meeting with us today, and I wish you the best of luck and please, let's stay in touch.
Seth: Yes, thank you. Absolutely. Good luck, Tim. Thank you, man.
Tim: Thank you both. Thank you both so much.
Ally: Well, that was our conversation with Tim Solinsky. I. I am even more obsessed. I didn't know that was gonna be possible. Um, wow. I have not heard a candidate like him. I haven't reacted to a candidate like him in a really long time. What did you think, Seth?
Seth: Yeah, I mean, it was, it was just everything that we, that we hoped for and more. I mean, this guy is, he's a millennial. He's a progressive and uncompromising. Progressive, uh, he, you can hear the passion in his voice. Um, you know that, that moment where he was talking, where I asked him who politically, uh, inspired him, like, what politician inspired you? He didn't, he didn't mention a, a. Uh, politician. It was so refreshing to hear something like mind blowing. My, my mom was, is a historian and she informed my politics and then talking about, uh, you know, an old school civil rights leader. I mean, that was even more genuine. So, yeah, it was, it was just great to hear from a guy like that who's not gonna compromise, who's going up against big money. He's not taking any corporate PAC money, no money from apac, I mean. What else do you want? America? I mean, this guy, he is got great hair. What do you want? I mean is,
Ally: and he knows, you know, with his background, he knows the behind the scenes of politics. He knows how dirty it can be. He knows how ugly it can be, and he's taken all of that knowledge and formulated. Um, a campaign to be just the antithesis to all of that yucky stuff we want out of our politics. And to me, um, that, that's just, that's everything we could wish for and more in a candidate.
Seth: If you're a Republican, uh, you better watch out For a guy like Tim in the next 10, two, good luck. He's got, he's got community organizing experience. He's not new to this at all. So I think that gives him a huge leg up as far as just knowing how to organize, that's one of the biggest things is just getting people to come to your side. And Tim is already very versed in that. He helps other candidates do those same things. So, uh, I, I, I know that. You know, he's a good candidate now. He's gonna be a good candidate for decades to come, and you better watch out because a guy like Tim, he's going to be able to change a lot of things in the state of Virginia.
Ally: Unbeatable, unstoppable. We're gonna keep our eye on Tim. We promise to stay connected. Hopefully we'll have more things to bring to you about him and his campaign as it goes on. His primary is August 4th, I think he said.
Tim: Yeah.
Ally: Um, so still a ways away. Um, and that's the guy, that's the guy to keep your eye on. So absolutely love that conversation and, um, can't wait to see what happens.