Julia: Welcome back to that's what they Said, an educationally conversational podcast where we will address all the things that aren't in the college brochure. Well, guys, first official episode.
Kieran: Let's go.
Julia: We are so happy to be here. Please give us some grace because we are going to freak this up because we've already tried to record this exact part four times.
Kieran: POV. It took us 20 minutes to find the record button, only to find out were on the wrong page of the program.
Julia: Any which way.
Kieran: That was humbling.
Julia: Hey, it's in the past. My name is Julia. I'm a junior at NC State. I'm majoring in Business Admin with a concentration in hr. I'm double minoring international studies and Religious Studies. Other than being a podcast content creator at WKNC, I am a media consultant in the student media business office, which is right down the hall. I am the president of the Contra Club at ncsu. Y' all should all come to my dances because I'd really love to see you there. And I am an intern at a church in Raleigh. I think that's all I do. Kieran.
Kieran: I'll take it away. My name is Kieran. I'm also a junior and I'm studying business administration with a concentration in marketing. I actually met Julia through the business office because I too work there. I am the Digital Media and Marketing League alongside the communications lead, which is a very long way of saying that my job is social media and graphic design. So me and Canva are locked in outside of work. I don't do much. So, you know, no outside of work. I in, like, school. I love myself a coffee. I'm a big fanatic of, like, trying different coffees around Raleigh. Like, I, for context, grew up in Apex. Was not born there though. Shout out. California. My hometown. Lived there for six months. So can I call my hometown? Yeah, I am now. Those are my lineans. My California. California. What is it? Californians.
Julia: Californians.
Kieran: Yeah. I was thinking of Floridians.
Julia: Oh, Florida.
Kieran: But it's.
Julia: It's Californians.
Kieran: Californians.
Julia: Well, I don't know. I mean, you're the. You're the local there.
Kieran: Can you tell guys, I don't want.
Julia: To appropriate your culture out there.
Kieran: With that in mind. Yeah. So I'm familiar with Raleigh, but, like, never really, like, explored the area until now. And so big fan of the coffee culture here and finding a new place. Messing with studentmedia or studentmedia. Ooh, those biscuits. Like, hey, guys, if you want to hit us up, like we're happy to love. Would love to have you on the pod.
Julia: And also we could have the pod at Jubala. Like, if you really want to give us a biscuit. Like, I think we could take one for the team on this. We are flexible. Like, we could do that.
Kieran: We can move.
Julia: We can move.
Kieran: Yeah. For them. I also going back to my hobbies. Love the sports here at NC State date. I haven't watched every single football game on my apartment and almost.
Julia: Wait, pause.
Kieran: Yeah.
Julia: Did not get a ticket to the game this weekend.
Kieran: I didn't either, which is crazy because I didn't get one last weekend either, which is crazy.
Julia: Girl, what is up with the lottery system? I'm putting that on the list of things to discuss later this semester.
Kieran: We'll touch base. Circling back.
Julia: Yeah.
Kieran: Love the sports culture. I am a huge fan. March Madness. I had the split screen going. I had all four, like, quadrants of.
Julia: What are there four games going on?
Kieran: Yeah, like, because there's like different time zones. So, like, during March Madness, you can have multiple games going at the same time. And so I had, like, four different games playing on my computer. And I like, had a notes app, like, thing with like all the different games written down, but, like, in eastern time. Like, I converted them all so that way I could watch them all.
Julia: Wow, guys, if you couldn't tell we have different interests, I, hey, don't know anything about sports here. Except, hey, maybe I've checked out the rosters a couple times. Just see what's going on. Quick glance. I just like to, you know, be familiar with, you know, my peers on campus. I like to be familiar with the peers. But. Okay, I am enjoying this. But we're attempting to not ramble, so I think maybe we should segue. Segue.
Kieran: This week's episode is we're gonna kind of go, like, in order of the year, I think is the vibe. And so we're starting with syllabus week pov. It is September, end of September. But we're starting strong with this week next semester.
Julia: So this is. This is like pre gaming that.
Kieran: Yeah, exactly. So welcome to the first ever episode Wolfpack. Welcome week. Talking about first week expectations. Pitch Perfect versus the Pack.
Julia: Oh, I know that's right. Pitch Perfect. Fire Movie. Okay, big fan. We know all the songs. So I just want to start by saying first week of class. Well, until the drop add deadline, it's okay to drop classes. I love planning out my class schedule for the next semester. Like, I pretty much have all my classes planned out until I graduate, which is Only one more year. But hey, it's still a little impressive. But it's okay to overload your schedule and drop classes because there's like, you don't understand how long it's going to take you to walk to class and you don't understand how much work a class is going to be until you sit there. Not also. What if you get there and you're like major op is in that class. I've had that happen same. And it's just, it's tough out there.
Kieran: So we're trying.
Julia: We're trying. We are. And that's all really that we could ask of each other. So I just want you to know, people out there drop a class, it's okay, you can always take it again. And there's such a thing as summer school. Okay. It's not a big deal. Both of us did summer school as well.
Kieran: Let us rephrase. We didn't like fail classes and like had to redo them over the summer, but we did take lots of classes.
Julia: Over summer and that's. And did I fail one of the classes I took?
Kieran: Yes, but like, so what were they expecting is my question.
Julia: It's summer. I. Guys, I live in Wilmington, so beach. It's summer. I will be at the beach. My job is beach.
Kieran: At home, like my job is beach.
Julia: My job is beach. I am Ken. So yeah.
Kieran: Mojo Dojo casa house. Welcome to ours, right? Welcome to our Mojo Dojo casa house. Over the summer I took a five week accounting course and let me tell you, that was pretty really putting some limits to the test because taking a 16 week course in five weeks and it being accounting was many a reasons that I considered just dropping out altogether. I. Oh, the lady at the Delta testing center literally knew me like not even by name. We never established like names or anything. No idea what her name is. See her like weekly though, so shout out her. But like we like got to a point where she was like, oh, you're back again. Like you were just here two days ago. And I was like, yeah, because I'm taking another accounting exam.
Julia: Accounting is okay. We are business students. So let's keep that in mind as we are at an engineering school. But accounting is like the weed out class for business students.
Kieran: I would agree.
Julia: Which is like lowkey saying something because businesses. And I am allowed to hate on it because I'm a business student is one of the easiest majors you could do.
Kieran: This is a true statement that we're making.
Julia: Right? And, and that's okay. And I'm Here to tell you it's okay to do business.
Kieran: Like, let's get down to business. Like, let's get into it.
Julia: Like, yes, let's get into it. It's okay to do business and it's okay to be proud of it. And it's also okay to make fun of it. But if. If I hear an engineer say anything about how business is easy, I'm pissed. Even though it is.
Kieran: So, like, because like, POV my microeconomics classes in the engineering building, so I'm like, basically an engineering student, right?
Julia: You're sitting like, there's a wall in between you and the electrical engineering students. So you are learning electrical engineering in.
Kieran: The electrical engineering building. So, like, put some respect on the name.
Julia: You know what I'm saying? Outlets and lights in the room. So, like, that's electrical engineering.
Kieran: I turn it on. I engineer my pathway into my seat.
Julia: Like, no. And you're right. Okay, wait. Sorry, we got distracted. The next thing I want to say about syllabus week, professors are fear mongering you.
Kieran: Okay?
Julia: You walk in and they have every single freaking assignment listed and they're like, you need to start this project. This is on the last day. You need to start it now. Are you never gonna finish? You're gonna finish.
Kieran: You're actually already four weeks behind and we haven't started class yet.
Julia: And yes, and how is that possible? And yes, and yes, you are.
Kieran: You know what? Yeah.
Julia: So let me. Let me tell you a little something about myself. If there is a semester long project that won't be opened until maybe the last month of the semester, maybe the last two weeks, and I'm still here, and I'm a junior and I will be graduating, so let's just keep that in mind, guys. It can be done. Pretty much anything can be done. You can come back from almost anything.
Kieran: I've come back from some lows.
Julia: Oh, yeah. I like, let.
Kieran: Rock bottom knows me well.
Julia: Oh, rock bottom.
Kieran: We're acquainted.
Julia: Oh, she sees me pretty often. She sees me pretty often. Which is kind of unfortunate, but that's okay. Like, and I'm. I'm at like a high right now.
Kieran: So I'm at least like on rock. Not even rock bottom. Like, top of the rock.
Julia: Yeah. We're on.
Kieran: Yeah.
Julia: Yes.
Kieran: Yes.
Julia: I like that. Rock climbing.
Kieran: Rock climbing. They have that at the gym. And it actually scares me because, like, I want to learn how to rock climb, but also at the same time, like, at what point.
Julia: I can get maybe 3ft off the ground maybe. And also the gym is terrifying. Because what do you mean? All these people are, like, lifting weights over here. And I would just be climbing a wall like that.
Kieran: Yeah. And, like, being that, like, my heart rate goes up at least, like, 100 every time that I, like, walk up the stairs. It's a fun game me and Julia play of how high will my heart get? We, like, literally walk up two flights of stairs. It's 180. Like, hey, that wasn't very kind.
Julia: That's another thing about this. This darn campus is that you'd be walking everywhere and there's. You're gonna have to walk up at least one flight of stairs no matter where you go. Like, even if you're going to the next room, there's gonna be a stair. I don't know how, but there is.
Kieran: No, there's always a stair. Well, what's crazy is I was, like, talking to someone the other day and, like, my schedule this semester is pretty long. So I'm like. I'm on campus from, like, 9:00am till 6:00pm Like, Monday through Friday. And my, like, average walk every day is three miles. Like, I, like, don't go to the gym. And that's because I walk three miles every day. And I'm like, that's enough. Like, that is enough.
Julia: And speak your truth. I like some how me when I don't take my own advice. I didn't think about the walk to classes when I was making my schedule. And I didn't drop any of my classes this semester.
Kieran: So.
Julia: So listen to what I say, but don't do what I do. You know that. You know that saying? Yeah. That's not how you say it, but.
Kieran: That'S do as I say, not as I do.
Julia: And you hit the nail on the head.
Kieran: Thank you.
Julia: Thank you. I have to walk from, what, Nelson to, like, Caldwell. And then I have to walk back to Nelson, and then I have to walk to Witherspoon, and then I live. Well, I'm not gonna tell you where I live.
Kieran: I live on campus, and that's all.
Julia: You know, I do live on campus.
Kieran: Not next to Caldwell.
Julia: Not next to Caldwell or Witherspoon. So I have to hoof it back to my dorm at night, where I live on a tall floor and there is not an available elevator. So, yeah, so I walk a lot. Oh, we said were gonna do that. Sorry, guys. I have a lot of vocal stims, if you will. This is a safe space for us to discuss such things. I have a lot of vocal stims gonna try and rein it in. Because I want you guys to feel comfortable. See, I just slipped into an accent. I'm sorry. I want you guys to feel comfortable coming.
Kieran: Have no shame in your game. No shame. This is a safe space.
Julia: Thank you. I. And I want to establish that this is a safe space because we will talk about things that need to be discussed and. And it needs to be declared that this is a safe space. And I don't want to hear any judgment if. Hey, guys, shout out. Follow the Instagram. I don't want to see anybody message us on Instagram complaining about what we talk about, because this is a safe space. And I will talk about what I want to talk about, because I am the podcast content creator, and that's my truth.
Kieran: Got him.
Julia: Yeah. Okay, wait.
Kieran: Got him. Good.
Julia: Last.
Kieran: Circling back.
Julia: Circling back for the 8,000th time. Last thing I would like to say about syllabus week is I love me a syllabus. If they put the calendar on there, you know, like, they have every assignment.
Kieran: Reading assignments laid out. Yeah.
Julia: Because, okay, this semester, my new hobby is at the beginning of semester, I go to the public library down the road. Fire, fireplace. They had a whole romance section. Got three of them. Anyway, I sat down three hours, cranked it out, I took every syllabus, and I put every single reading assignment exam event into my Google Calendar for the entire semester. And now I don't have to open the syllabus ever again because I know every single thing that's gonna happen, and I know in advance.
Kieran: Well, let me tell you something about Google Calendar I love. Oh, that's Calendar. Like, if I could, I would show you guys. Like, I have, like, a whole, like, theme slash palette going. And, like, my Google Calendar, like, there's, like, I'm, like, almost running out of color. Well, I ran out of colors, so now I'm using custom colors because, like, I, like, just. Like, I had so many things on it. And, like, that Google Calendar, like, I have stuff going from, like, when I'm supposed to, like, eat. I have all my classes, my work. Like, if I'm gonna get dinner with someone, like, every time I make a plan with someone, I put it in my Google Calendar. And let me tell you, I made a friend the other week, shout out my stats class. And I kid you not, were talking about studying the library for our stats exam. They sent me a Google Calendar invite, and I was like, we are like. Like, you and I? Yeah.
Julia: Like, you have a connection.
Kieran: You just spoke to my soul. Because, like, never in my life that I think I would get to the point where I would, like, need a Google Calendar invite for a social event slash studying. But it's gotten to a point. And so that is. That is a friend, not a foe.
Julia: I agree. Also, just want to stop here for a second and say, I'm having such a hard time not naming names. And I almost told you where I lived, so I.
Kieran: You're being mysterious, right?
Julia: And I am so nonchalant. You guys would never understand. You could never be me. I don't know. You could. Because I'm very shalant. I just pretend, should not speak.
Kieran: I've, like, never seen you show emotion or, like, speak.
Julia: No, I, like, never smile. Like, you never. And I never, like, talk ever.
Kieran: I know nothing about you. Like, I.
Julia: Right. And we've been, you know nothing about me.
Kieran: Completely nothing.
Julia: Literally nothing.
Kieran: None.
Julia: Okay.
Kieran: So with that being said, we have, like, this whole, like, list of things we're gonna, like, briefly touch on and then, like, whatever happens. Whatever doesn't kind of the vibe. And so I feel so inclined to skip around and I want to talk about, like, the adrenaline rush of the first month slash the horrors of the first month. Because, like, tell me why the trials and tribulations. Like, I am not unfamiliar with the concept of August through September. Like, been doing it for a while now, and like, somehow each year, August through, like, October is like my trials and tribulations.
Julia: It hits like a brick wall.
Kieran: Like a brick wall. And then like. Like a few more bricks. Like, someone just, like tosses one more on top.
Julia: Wait, wait, you know that song She's a Brick. How you know that song? No, sorry, guys, continue.
Kieran: I started thinking of she's just a.
Julia: Girl and she's on fire.
Kieran: Okay, copyright. So with that in mind, I just.
Julia: With those songs playing in the back of your mind, let's continue. That's our soundtrack from the Gate's actual songs.
Kieran: That in my heart, I'll just acapella everything.
Julia: It's perfect, you know?
Kieran: Oh, let me tell you. But, like, the first three months are genuinely so hard. And like, for reference, it is September. So, like, we're still in the thick of it. But, like, the way that I.
Julia: Sorry, I just started mouthing song the.
Kieran: Way that, like, I am getting up at 8am every day and not going to bed until like almost midnight every night. And I'm having to do like 15 hours of work of week or well, now like almost 20 and do schoolwork. And you would think that after doing it for like four, five Weeks now that I would be like, locked in, like in a routine. But like, the only thing that I have in a routine is like the order in which I make my coffee in the morning.
Julia: No. And like us getting breakfast on Tuesday and Thursday, that is routine. That's. That's the only thing that I can count on every week.
Kieran: Like, and then on top of that, like, when I was a freshman, the adrenaline rush I had, I was out until like 2am Like I was up till 2am every single day and getting up at like. And I was just like high on life. I was just like, I'm a freshman. I can, I can do whatever I want.
Julia: Like, free of your parents, you live in your own space. It's like, wait, nobody cares where I am like, at all, ever. Which is like lowkey terrifying. But yeah, well.
Kieran: And now that I, A year later, now that I'm so wise, I'm like, never want to go out. I'm like, right, people like, do you want to hang out? I'm like, yeah, in my apartment.
Julia: You should come over in my bed. I'm going to be asleep while we hang out. If that's fine with you.
Kieran: A quick social break. Like, what if we just didn't talk? You know what I'm saying?
Julia: Right, right. And we, and you know what we did that last night? We did, I did sit on your floor and we didn't talk, which is.
Kieran: Crazy because there was seating and we still sat on the floor.
Julia: I love floor time. If you, if any of you actually even know me, if any of you care about me, you would know floor time. That is my girl. Like, I need at least 20 minutes of floor time a day. And that's like I'm cutting it down because I don't have a lot of free time, but I have to have my 20 minutes of floor time.
Kieran: Well, let me tell you about four time every single day. Like I said a bit of a routine in the sense of like, I'm on campus till 6 o' clock every day. And so when I get back to my apartment at like 6:30 or whatever, every single day, I lay on the floor for 30 minutes and just one try and regulate my heartbeat from like walking up three flights of stairs. But also like, I just lay on the floor and like, stare at the ceiling and watch tick tock. Because like, that is all my body can handle. So that floor, like there's like one spot that I just lay in like starfish. Like, it's just.
Julia: Yep.
Kieran: It's gotten to A point where, like, the way that my room is set up, when you walk in, you can see into my room, but you can only see my feet when I lay down. It's like one time I was just laying down. You could always see my feet. My roommate walks in and they're like, hey, Kieran, like, are you okay? Because, like, it was just my limp feet hanging out of the door. Like, that was all that was present. Yeah. I was like, yeah. Because I was just recovering from life.
Julia: From a normal day.
Kieran: From a Tuesday.
Julia: From a Tuesday. Tuesday.
Kieran: From a Tuesday.
Julia: It's Tuesday today, guys. What? That's like a crazy coincidence.
Kieran: I think that's a sign that you should follow our podcast on Instagram, twtspod.
Julia: I think that you should because I love posting on Instagram. So if you want to be annoyed by the amount of stuff that I'll post, follow it. And if you want to, you could also follow me.
Kieran: Our Instagrams are linked in the description of the Instagram.
Julia: Yep.
Kieran: We're always taking questions and like comments, ideas, suggestions, anything like that. So feel free to hit us up at any time.
Julia: Yes, please talk to us. We love to talk, obviously, because we have podcasts, ask us questions, give us things to talk about. We want to. We're a vision of mine is us. Tiny microphone camera out on campus asking people things.
Kieran: Oh my gosh. Eventually we need to get to that point.
Julia: I was thinking like next week, but like, oh, you're going to be in Ireland next week.
Kieran: Oh, hot goss, guys, I'm going to Ireland.
Julia: Got that in my Google calendar because I don't know who I'm gonna have breakfast with on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I'm gonna be alone and I don't know what to do.
Kieran: I'll call you.
Julia: Okay.
Kieran: We'll talk.
Julia: Yeah. Sorry, guys.
Kieran: Yeah, I'm going to Ireland. No, but I still have to do schoolwork though, so it's gonna be a nightmare. And I'm five hours ahead. So trying to like, do that math on like, what time it is and like when I need to get things done by is gonna be a little bit of a personal journey that I'm gonna have to take. But I did beg my mom to get the WI fi on the plane so that I could do homework. Oh my God. Because it's a like seven hour flight.
Julia: And that is valuable time. Seven hour chunk of time. I have not had that chunk of time in a long at least three months.
Kieran: Well, and let me tell you too, is like they only have like overnight Flights. So we're leaving like 9pm at night.
Julia: That's. That's bedtime.
Kieran: That is. Well, you would think it's bedtime, but me no sleep on plane, even though I have to take, like, melatonin every night. And so I'll get like, two hours of sleep and probably just do homework and then I'll call it a day.
Julia: I like that.
Kieran: It will call it a morning, actually.
Julia: And you will. And It will be a morning.
Kieran: And you know what? I'm preparing for that mentally.
Julia: But you'll be in Ireland.
Kieran: This is truth. Surrounded by Irish baddies and sheep and Guinness and potatoes and whatever else is Ireland.
Julia: Wow. Us when we.
Kieran: Me, when I'm Irish, when I literally have the most. I have the number one male name in Ireland. And I'm, like, very Irish, even.
Julia: I'm 0.05% Irish. Speak on anything that I want to speak on. Because of that.
Kieran: Yeah, no, I'm sorry that I even, like, suggested anything. Like, that was my bad.
Julia: No, it's. And this is a safe space, as I said. So I'm just here to, like, you know, correct you, like, walk.
Kieran: Put me in my place.
Julia: I'm just gonna walk with you through this.
Kieran: Okay.
Julia: Like, I'm here for you know.
Kieran: Right. So now I'm just gonna leave because I've just embarrassed myself.
Julia: Oh, okay. I'll finish.
Kieran: Hey, cool by. No, I'm kidding. So, yeah, the first month as a freshman was crazy. But, you know, like, okay, I put this on my notes. But, like, I literally signed up, like, the. The moonlight, how or whatever is quite literally the Howland Run. One of them things. Neither of the things that I do. Could not tell you. Last time I had it, yada. Why did I sign up for like, a 5k at midnight my freshman year thinking that I was going to be, like, content with myself, which it just turned into a walk because there were so many people right. Watched. It was like 30 minutes of just walking on campus. Not like, I wasn't doing that already. Like, I don't. But again, I was just, like, so high on life that, like, I didn't care. Like, I was eating, like, saltines, like, literally two weeks straight.
Julia: Oh, my God, I remember that. You would stop at the thing.
Kieran: Yeah, Bragaw market.
Julia: Yeah, Bragaw Market. And you would get you some saltines.
Kieran: I did. I would get saltines Dr. Pepper. And I literally would have that for lunch and dinner for, like, three weeks. Dropped £40. It was crazy. Life hack. No, I'm just Kidding. Don't do that.
Julia: No, no. Do not.
Kieran: But I was also walking three miles a day.
Julia: It was crazy.
Kieran: But I just, like, was stuck on saltines. But then my hyper fixation after that was that I would buy a pint of ice cream from the Bergar market or like, tally every single day, and I would eat it on the way back to my dorm because it was like on the other side of campus. And so I'd eat like a pint of ice cream like, every day.
Julia: And this is the thing, people. This is reminding me eat food. I forgot to schedule in lunch breaks for myself this, like, semester. And I have not seen a vegetable in a really long time. So I just.
Kieran: Yeah, like, just. That's kind of campus, though. For real.
Julia: No, it is. And like, also what is very campus to me is when you go into a dining hall and the only fruit that will ever be there is cantaloupe. You can always count on some cantaloupe being there.
Kieran: Or like three hour old pineapple delicious scrumptious.
Julia: That is my favorite thing ever. Oh, my Lord.
Kieran: It was. Yeah, it was trying time.
Julia: Y' all eat and drink water. Not other things, just water.
Kieran: Know that being appropriate? No, I've been on a big meal plan kick, which is not even meal plan in the sense of. I'm sure you're envisioning like chicken and rice and like. Well, well, okay, so you'd be envisioning rice. That's crazy. So in the sense that. But like, this week's meal prep was I made a bag of pasta and I put it in four deli containers and I said lunch. And so my lunch this whole week is pasta with like a jar tomato sauce that I had that was like half full and I wanted to empty it. But like, I have done like chicken, rice, and broccoli at one point. I think I did. Like, me and Trader Joe's are also big friends of each other. And so they had this like steak there. Not like steak lake steak, but steak. Like frozen, kind of already cooked chunks. Yeah, a nice chunk of meat that you can like, pan fry. And I got this like soy teriyaki sauce. Why you're marinated it for like a few hours and then cooked that. Okay, about Chef. Like, I looked forward to lunch every day. And that like, so all of that to say is meal prep.
Julia: This is true. I unfortunately have been eating a lot of cereal and also recently, new food passion of mine is. Okay, frozen peach slices. Oh, and you just let them thaw out a little bit. And that texture. Oh, I could. I could. I genuinely eat that. I can eat that. I got home last night. We. We went to Bojangles for dinner last night, Bojangles, if you will. And went home, ate a whole bag of peaches. I. I didn't share that with you. I'm being. Being vulnerable right now.
Kieran: This is a safe space, and it is.
Julia: And it was delicious. And I felt great because it was fruit, so.
Kieran: Yeah. Well, I, on the other hand, ate two chocolate chip cookies, so I would say I was equally in the same boat as you.
Julia: I agree.
Kieran: I would say that we walked pretty similar paths.
Julia: The nutrients are lining up.
Kieran: Like, actually, like, if anything, I was more healthy. Like, it was just.
Julia: No, you were like. I actually, like.
Kieran: I. I can't believe you ate that many. No, I'm kidding.
Julia: I know. I should not have done that.
Kieran: No. I should try frozen peaches. I don't think I've ever had that. It's so funny. Although, isn't there this thing right now on TikTok where people are, like, freezing peaches and, like, shaving it? Oh, you're on Instagram reels.
Julia: I don't do TikTok.
Kieran: Okay, well, to my people out there on TikTok, there's this trend, I promise, where people, like, freeze fruit and then they, like, shave it to make, like, frozen ice, but it's just, like, frozen fruit, so it's like healthy frozen ice. I don't really. It's supposed to be, like, a sorbet type vibe, but I feel like you're, like, basically doing that. Yeah. I also don't like fro. I don't like ice. Not ice. Like, frozen ice.
Julia: Frozen ice. We know. What do you mean?
Kieran: Like, the Kona ice, where they put.
Julia: Like, the syrups and stuff. The texture of that ice is not right.
Kieran: Snow cones. I don't like snow cones.
Julia: If it's, like, Italian ice and it's like, the smooth. It's, like, smooth.
Kieran: Yeah.
Julia: That's good.
Kieran: I don't like Rita's, though. I only like sunny, like, the sunnies.
Julia: I don't know Rita.
Kieran: You don't read. You know Rita.
Julia: I have never met her in my life.
Kieran: Girl. Rita's is a Raleigh Apex staple.
Julia: Oh, well, that would be why. I don't know that.
Kieran: Okay. And, like, Rita's is, like, worldwide. I thought it's, like, Italian. It's Italian ice place. And they also have custard that you can put on top of it or, like, in between it, but I just get the custard Because I don't want it to be nice.
Julia: Okay.
Kieran: Anyway, with that being said. That's cool. Whatever.
Julia: Let's see. Let's. Okay. To stay in or to go out. I'm. I'm feeling called to this. I. Last year. Okay. One thing about me is I do enjoy going out. And I do. And I.
Kieran: With a week's notice.
Julia: Right. I'm not. You can't text me day of and say, oh, we're going to a party, girl. No, we're not. I. No, we're not. You aren't either. Like, I will get you and we're staying in.
Kieran: Like, we're not. I don't know who he is.
Julia: Yeah, we is not me. Okay? I, like, I go to bed between 9 and 10pm every night and I'm up and at 'em 7:30 8. Well, that's the vision. But Right.
Kieran: In theory.
Julia: Allegedly. Hypothetically. Yeah. Right.
Kieran: Yeah.
Julia: But going out is so fun. Like in college. It's like. Come on. Like, this is so. Like. Okay.
Kieran: Yeah.
Julia: We recently. Oh my gosh, went to our first frat party recently. Hey, we're juniors in college. Anyway, let us be. Was invited by a young gentleman. A young gentleman. And went to this frat party. Now. Hey, the ratio off. Why were there. Where were the girlies?
Kieran: Well, what was crazy is were prefaced with like, yeah, we're expecting like 200 people. Maybe 30. Like, maybe 30 people were in a basement that was like falling apart. And like, I laughed because no one was dancing either.
Julia: No, that's what I was like. Okay. The music was like. It was okay. Like, it could definitely have been worse. No, it could have been. It was pretty low, but I knew some of the songs, which is high for me because I. I don't listen to.
Kieran: Like, you're not like other girls.
Julia: Yeah, I'm not. Like, my music is very, like, underground and niche. Like, I'm so into.
Kieran: Like, you've never heard of it.
Julia: I listen to jazz and bluegrass, so I really am. Anyway, so music mid. Get there. All men and not in a good way. And floor sticky.
Kieran: Very.
Julia: And for those of the people that were there, drinks awful. So I just would like to say let's. Let's think about going out. Okay.
Kieran: Let's think critically because let's normalize staying in.
Julia: Let's. You're so right. Like, I went out and I haven't gone out since then because it's. It's time to rest.
Kieran: Which is crazy because I've invited Julia to like, three things since then. This was, like, almost a month ago now.
Julia: Okay. So no and that's. Okay. Wait, but I actually have been busy with, like.
Kieran: No, you have.
Julia: I need to sleep. You know what?
Kieran: I think you're right.
Julia: I knew. And I'm going. Not out this week. Why are you going out this weekend?
Kieran: I'm in Ireland this weekend.
Julia: I just have to say something inappropriate. Okay. Well, no, it's fine. It's fine. I'm not.
Kieran: We don't care.
Julia: No, we don't.
Kieran: Nonchalant.
Julia: Yeah, Yeah. I don't feel emotions.
Kieran: Whatever. Have you seen the nonchalant animal trend?
Julia: Yes. Oh, moo.
Kieran: Like bock or whatever.
Julia: Okay, guys, recent. Recent vocal stim. I be saying bock all the time like a chicken. You know, I love chickens. I have chickens at home. And I say what?
Kieran: I said. Oh, Shout out Booty.
Julia: She's not alive anymore.
Kieran: Oh, my God.
Julia: Anyway.
Kieran: Oh, my God. I was there literally a month ago, and Booty was alive and well.
Julia: The chicken that.
Kieran: Oh, my God.
Julia: She was 8 years old. She was. That was my sister right there.
Kieran: Her time had come.
Julia: No, it really had.
Kieran: Like, she has been seeing the light.
Julia: For a long time.
Kieran: Rest in peace, Booty the chicken. Hope she's doing well up there.
Julia: No. And she is. She's. She's sitting on the right hand of. Of. Of that throne.
Kieran: Yeah. Back to bock.
Julia: Back to bock. I say bock a lot, and I would like to apologize in advance for that. I've been really holding back thus far, but now that we've had this conversation, people out there, maybe five of you that are gonna listen to this.
Kieran: Yeah, 5,000.
Julia: 5. 5 million.
Kieran: Everyone on the planet.
Julia: Wow. We connect to, like, the satellite display constantly.
Kieran: It's just our voices. No, like, everywhere.
Julia: And it's just us. Saying bock.
Kieran: Yeah, it's just us. Yeah, bock or whatever.
Julia: No, but, like, bock or something.
Kieran: Don't know. Whatever. My favorite one that I, My friend, did was like, blub Fish. It was like blub or whatever.
Julia: Oh, like blub.
Kieran: Like blub or something. Blub or something. I lost it at blub, where it was like neigh. They're like neigh. Like neigh. Like neigh. Like, I cannot explain how. Like blub.
Julia: Okay, wait, we're not even talking about anything else right now.
Kieran: Back to the frat, like, going in or out.
Julia: Oh, let's. Let's. Let's just think critically before you go out, because that was, like, fun. Like, for the fact that I get to talk about it and be like, oh, Gee, I was invited to a frat party, but at some point. And lowkey, as I say, I wouldn't go again. But I would.
Kieran: No, we would.
Julia: But I'm just saying, like, really think about it. Like, it's so much. It's Right. And you did it on my birthday dinner. Do you know that reference?
Kieran: Yeah, the James Charles.
Julia: Yeah.
Kieran: And he did it at my birthday dinner.
Julia: I was gonna finish the quote. But I actually can't do that.
Kieran: Oh, wow.
Julia: Sorry. Anyway, speak your truth.
Kieran: So here's my thing is, like, last year, I, for context, was a freshman. Last year I'm now a junior because I'm just so intellectually above. No, I'm kidding. I just, like, took APS in high school.
Julia: I'm just so.
Kieran: I'm not like, not even. But, like, with that being said, my freshman year is last year. And so I was like, I'm going to go out. Like, I'm going to go to these ragers. I'm going to be crazy. Like. Like, it's going to be so insane. And I think I went out twice, like, the whole year. Like, the full nine months, I went out like, twice. And I was like, okay with that. Like, I was opting to stay in. Like, there was a point. There was like, two weeks where it snowed like, four times by, like. Do you remember that?
Julia: Like, well, yeah.
Kieran: Okay. So anyways, so by like, the third snow, I was like, I'm like, I didn't even want to go out anymore. I was like, I'm just gonna tuck in right here in my. My comforter.
Julia: Yeah.
Kieran: And now I'm at a point where I've gone out every single week in this whole, like, year. And I went out, like, for five weeks in a row in summer, too.
Julia: I do remember that.
Kieran: Yeah, it was wild. Like, I have so many stories from that.
Julia: But it's fun. Like, you get to talk about it the day after.
Kieran: No, it is.
Julia: But, like, also, you don't feel great. Well, I mean, we do. We feel great, but others probably wouldn't because they're not making good choices. But we would never do that.
Kieran: No, that would be wrong. My favorite part, honestly, going out is the food afterwards. Because that Mickey D's, bro, that Taco Bell, Living Moss. Let me tell you, like, I'm McLovin it, because this is crazy. Like, I had a friend who over the summer lived, like, across the street, or not like across the street, but, like, in walking distance to a McDonald's. And so we would go out and then we would walk to McDonald's and like, I, like, basically, like, unofficially claimed a booth. Like, I was there, like, every week, and it was genuinely the highlight. Like, I. My favorite part of going out was, like, getting ready to get the food.
Julia: Afterwards, but also the getting ready to go out. Like, the. Like, you got some food, so you get to take a couple pics. Before. Like, when we're going to this frat party, I. The. This individual that invited me, like, asked, like, what are you gonna be there? And I was like, oh, like, we're just gonna take some pics first and then we'll be there half an hour later. Hadn't left, but then our camera died, so we had to. Yeah, the ride there. Crazy. Anyway, moving on, because we're not talking about anything of consequence, basically.
Kieran: To sum up, here's, like, what we wish we knew, I feel like, is the best way to, like, segue. This is, like, with all of this said and done, here are our top tips.
Julia: Oh, really has been said to be.
Kieran: Honest in Wolf Pack. Well, won't we.
Julia: I did not translate any of that.
Kieran: No, it's okay. I really didn't either.
Julia: I just ate coffee.
Kieran: I had, like, wrote down things that I was, like, gonna touch base on. But, like, here's. Okay. My actual tips, like, my real ones are one, use Google Maps to get to your class. Don't walk your schedule, because I'm a hater of walking my schedule. I will just show up when I show up and get there 10 minutes early. Like, especially that first week, making friends is so hard. And, like, it's a whole other thing. We call it, like, the one and done social life. Because if you talk to people, like, one time that first week, and then you, like, never speak to them again.
Julia: Right. But I feel like that's low key. Like, only a freshman year thing, because I would disagree.
Kieran: Well, I went through that this past.
Julia: Semester, so I don't know. I mean, like, this semester, like, I sat down, like, next to these girlies in my supply chain class, which have not been in that class since the first week. Sorry, but I have an exam there tomorrow. Anyway, I've been friends with the girlies next to me. Like, we follow each other on social media. Like, we.
Kieran: Like, we had a study session the other day, and she hugged me when she left, and I said, oh, my.
Julia: God, that is my sister.
Kieran: Like, we're close. Like, we're. Oh, we're.
Julia: We're tight.
Kieran: Yeah. Well, I guess in that case, my advice changed. To be open to the people you sit next to. Like, my thing Is like, I always try make an effort. Not really, but, like, in my head I do.
Julia: Right. If as long as I don't say, like, leave me alone, then that's me making an effort and I.
Kieran: That's a way to my book.
Julia: Right?
Kieran: Like, I feel like, yeah, just get to class early. Like, I feel like, oh, wow, there's people here at a whopping 9pm okay.
Julia: It is not. It's like, time to go to bed.
Kieran: Okay.
Julia: So final.
Kieran: Our final tips and tricks is I feel like showing up to class early and, like, just being open to the one and done social life, but also, like, be open to the idea that you actually could be friends with these people. Like, it's just like, keeping an open mind is, like, my biggest thing. I feel like.
Julia: Yes.
Kieran: Yeah.
Julia: And also something that I want to add to that is that it is okay to be friends with somebody just for a season of your life.
Kieran: This is true.
Julia: This took me a long time to learn that not. Not everybody needs to be a best friend for life. Like, we just happen to start work on the exact same day at desks that are right next to each other, and now we're best friends. But, like, I have met so many people that are just my friends for a season or just for specific events or just, like, just friends that I go out with or just friends that I said, like, that's okay. That is natural. It is. And that is, like, healthy too, because, yeah, it's good.
Kieran: Like, there's. It's just good to have, like, filler. Not, like, filler people, but just, like.
Julia: There'S always someone, like, your side characters. Right? That's okay because you're also a side character in their life. So it's mutual.
Kieran: Which is a hard truth to, like, take in because, like, you always want to be friends with everyone and, like.
Julia: Right. Because obviously, I'm the most important person in anybody's life.
Kieran: This is just your world, and we're living in it.
Julia: Right.
Kieran: But, like, it almost feels like demeaning sometimes because it's like, oh, my God, like, they don't want to be my friend. Like, they only talk to me when we're in class. Like, they literally hate me.
Julia: Right. But they also feel the same way about you. So it's like, oh, you know. You know what I'm saying? They, like, think that you hate them too. No, like. Like, in the sense that, like. But, like, hear me out, please, please.
Kieran: But yeah, I mean, the first, like, three months, like, syllabus week, all that is hard. It's like so draining.
Julia: Yes.
Kieran: Like, mentally, spiritually, physically, emotionally. But like it does go out from there. Like it does. It just, it takes a second.
Julia: It does. Okay. And everybody has their different timeline on this last year. Guys, I'm not trying to scare you. Was downhill all year for me.
Kieran: Right?
Julia: But okay, optimist. Thank you. This year is great. Like, I'm living my best life. Like, I have my best friends. I have a job that I love, four jobs that I love. I have, I've taken classes I love. I'm like, I like, WKNC genuinely having a wonderful time. I just sound like my mom.
Kieran: I'm just having a wonderful time here.
Julia: She's gonna be listening to this. So shout out to my mom. Anyway, everybody has their own timeline. Like, I was talking one of my friends and I was like this like, my freshman year was so rough. Like, I didn't like it the entire year. And she's like, oh, I loved it two weeks in and then I was like, oh. Oh, wow. Like, actually is experience.
Kieran: Yeah.
Julia: Yeah.
Kieran: I like, I was part of this like leadership program last year and everyone's kind of talking about, they're like, I've been going out all the time and I'm going to these sports events and like, I just feel so free and everything. And I was like, I kind of hate it.
Julia: Like, this is actually awful.
Kieran: This is awful. Like, I. My thing is like, I just, I'm at a point in my life where I'm like tired of school and I'm ready to just work. And so I think that's why I like work so much and like, I enjoy my job and I like, obviously I do it 17 hours a week. Like, I enjoy, like, I genuinely love it. I just don't love like the testing and the studying and whatever PV I have to study tonight for an exam that I have tomorrow.
Julia: Oh, I'll be going to sleep.
Kieran: I won't be studying.
Julia: Well, and that's another thing.
Kieran: You know, it's all about the balance. But like, this year's definitely been better for me. Like, it's hard because I'm doing so much and like my days are so long, but like, it leads to my weekends being pretty much free every single weekend. And like, I'm even closer with the friends that I have because like, the time that we have together is so much more valuable. Whereas freshman year, I spent so much time just with like people just being. Just being that I almost like kind of forgot who I was because I was just becoming other people.
Julia: Yeah.
Kieran: Because I spent so much time with other people and not as much time just, like. Like, being myself and, like, exploring who I wanted.
Julia: Right. There's so many things to explore.
Kieran: Yeah. Like, college is. It's. It's its own mixing pool. Like, it's just. It's crazy. Which we'll talk about in a later episode. Yeah. My biggest piece of advice is to remember it's. It's not just you. Like, you're not alone. It's really hard. And, like, the first year will never be easy. It never will be. Like, everyone will say that they had a great time and they probably did, but there's no way that they had all ups, you know?
Julia: Like, it's like, okay, this is my favorite. Like, I don't know if this is a metaphor, because I don't really. I'm not like, that, Like, I don't know English stuff, but maybe it's my first language. My only language. Sorry, first and only. Wait, I forgot what I was gonna say.
Kieran: A metaphor.
Julia: Oh, yes. You know, like, when I feel. I've definitely said this to you multiple times. When a woman gives birth, it, like, hurts so bad, obviously. Like, the pain level is so high, but then the hormones and, like, the chemicals make you forget. Like, once you hold your child, you forget, and you're like, wow, that was, like, not bad. And then you have another one. That is how it feels coming back to school every year. It's because, like, last year, awful. Like, genuinely maybe rock bottom of my life, which is really saying something. But at the end of summer, I was like, wait, like, I'm lit. Like.
Kieran: I love college. This is true. Last year was really hard for me, but I also genuinely grew so much as a person, so much good did happen. I've met some of the people that I'm the closest to, I. E. Julia. And, like, I've made. Like, Julia introduced me as her best friend for mall the other day, and I actually almost cried. I did almost cry.
Julia: I thought it was I. After I said, I was like, I wonder if, like, that's okay. Like, I don't know if I'm allowed to say that.
Kieran: Like, no, I actually called my mom.
Julia: Oh, my God.
Kieran: I love that. That makes me so happy.
Julia: Oh, my God.
Kieran: Because especially, let me tell you, the other day, I. I had this friend who I'm really close with. They introduced me and I quote, was, oh, this is Kieran. They're. This is my friend. And I said, so what are we.
Julia: Do you even know me?
Kieran: And they weren't like, Hating on me. But it was just like. But then Julia was like, and this is my best friend from Raleigh. And I was like, oh, my God.
Julia: You, like, you come home with me.
Kieran: Like, what do you mean?
Julia: It's true. You have heard things about me that nobody else has ever heard.
Kieran: So, you know, insane. Like, I have gotten. I have a severe allergic reaction to your cat, but I still come anyways. And I bring extra Benadryl, or not Benadryl, but like, medication, because rotten is so worth it.
Julia: And rotten will be coming up in later conversation because we are both obsessed with her. She has an Instagram page if you want to follow my mom runs it. So if I runs it, I mean, she asked me how to do it and I posted the first two posts.
Kieran: So she runs it solely her.
Julia: She is a like, Instagram guru.
Kieran: Like, basically certified, right?
Julia: No, and she actually. She actually owns Instagram. Like, if you didn't know. Like, she actually owns Instagram. So, like.
Kieran: Oh, she's like a CEO.
Julia: Yeah, no, she's a CEO. Yeah. No, no, she, like, she, like, actually created Meta. So.
Kieran: Right. Like, she is Meta. She.
Julia: No, and her name is actually Meta. Like, funny that you should mention it. Her name is. Okay.
Kieran: Meta Larson.
Julia: Yeah. Meta Mommy.
Kieran: Meta Mommy. Oh, wow.
Julia: Anyway, so wait. I want to say my advice.
Kieran: No, please.
Julia: Here's. Here's what I wish that I knew. Crazy that we hit the time limit. Also not crazy, because we, like, we freaking talk a lot. But here's. Here's what I wish that I knew back in the day. I wish I knew a lot. But the topic I have written is you're going to sweat while walking to class. This is true. That is lowkey. One of my top pieces of advice or, like, things to think about. So hot. Yes. Get you a fan. I recently. It's in my bag. I'm looking at it right now. One of those, you know, like the fold out fans that you like. What? And it, like, you fold it out, it's like a half circle and you just fan yourself. I have one of those. It's rainbow. I use that all the time. Like, it, like, is life changing.
Kieran: Yeah. I went to Target and I bought an electric fan. Yeah, well, like, one of the ones that you, like, hold.
Julia: Yeah.
Kieran: And I put batteries in it. I tried it. It's a box fan. You just move around. Well, it's one of the ones that, like, turns out giant, like three feet was.
Julia: Oh, my God. I was telling somebody. I was having this conversation with somebody else and I was like, yeah, I'm just gonna have you actually follow me around with a giant box fan, and that's all I need you to do.
Kieran: Ever. No. And. And I live by that because, like, let me tell you, the other day, I, like, sat down in one of my classes, and I was sweating. Like, I was. Like, it was head toe. Like, hair was, like, greased back to my head. Like, and I just washed my hair the night before. Like, it was, like, it was a rough time for everyone involved. And, like, I sit down, and the person next to me literally looks at me and gives me, like, the craziest look of my life. Like, I got a literal glare. Like, capital G, L, A, R, E glare.
Julia: Yes.
Kieran: And I just sat there, like, sitting in my thoughts and feelings. Like, why are we not sympathizing? Like, that was really humbling. That was a low point.
Julia: Like, and one other thing about the sweating walking to class is it does bring you together because when you get class and everyone looks horrific and sweaty, you're like, oh, we've all actually been related together, so we're all in the same boat. Like, nobody here is better than anybody else. And that, my friends, is how you make friends in class.
Kieran: You bond over the little things you do.
Julia: You say, oh, wow, I really don't want to be here. It is so hot. I wish I was in my bed. And I can almost guarantee at least 80% of the class has the exact same thought on their mind.
Kieran: I would agree. We should do a pool of that. We're taking stats together right now. What's the problem? Whoa.
Julia: Well, I don't be going to class, so.
Kieran: Okay, well, we're still enrolled in the class together.
Julia: I don't even get me started on our stats class. Okay, my professor. I won't be naming names, but if you. If I see you, I'm telling this in my microphone right now. If I see you on the street, it is on site. Okay, I'll come after you. Anyway.
Kieran: Wow.
Julia: And that was a joke, folks. I would never do that.
Kieran: No, of course not.
Julia: Because I am a kind and loving person.
Kieran: Of course.
Julia: Anyway, with that in mind.
Kieran: Yeah. I feel like we might be coming to a close.
Julia: I think we are, because we did just hit 45 minutes and 30 seconds.
Kieran: Wow.
Julia: Time flies when you're having fun. And I know that's right.
Kieran: And I know that's right. Well, this has been so fun as our first ever, like, official podcast. Not sure when this is gonna come out, but I'm envisioning this week probably.
Julia: If we can actually figure out how to work this thing, as it took us 20 minutes to find the record button. Well, can you imagine? I just delete this right after we record it.
Kieran: And I would quit day one.
Julia: I'm done.
Kieran: I'm done. Well, this has been so fun. We can't wait to talk to you guys next week. Please make sure to follow us on our Instagram wtspod. Both of our individual Instagrams are linked there, too. Please DM us any questions that you have. Anything you want us to talk about. We want to, like, have segments in the future. We, like, take, like, 10 minutes to talk about, like, different questions we've had.
Julia: Yeah. Or like, stories. You have to tell stories. Talk to us, guys. Like, we want to be friends, please.
Kieran: This is conversationally educational.
Julia: Is it educationally?
Kieran: I don't even know. We don't know educationally.
Julia: Conversational asks. You learned a lot from this podcast. Okay.
Kieran: Yeah.
Julia: You learned everything you could ever need to know from this.
Kieran: Yeah. You learned that my favorite ice cream flavor is Campfire Delight. Like, that's. That's the way.
Julia: And that is important to know. You have to know your peers on campus.
Kieran: And, you know, that just reminds me, like, what is it that our. Our podcast does?
Julia: Well, we're actually here to tell.
Kieran: You the truth, because they don't always get it right.
Julia: Bye, guys.