TikTok is the new game, but it’s already the 2nd quarter. Let’s dive into TikTok Top Track and Trending Videos charts.......chartmetric.com @chartmetric #chartmetric #musicbusiness #musicindustry #tiktok #bytedance #china #memes #musicmarketing #socialmedia
- TikTok is the new game, but it’s already the 2nd quarter. Let’s dive into one of our newest features, TikTok Top Track and Trending Videos charts.
- Good morning, it’s Jason here at Chartmetric with your 3-minute Data Dump where we upload charts, artists and playlists into your brain so you can stay up on the latest in the music data world.
- We’re on the socials at “chartmetric”, that’s Chartmetric, no “S ”- follow us on LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook, and talk to us! We’d love to hear from you.
- This is your Data Dump for Thursday, August 15th, 2019.
- TikTok Top Tracks and Trending Videos
- If you are involved in music marketing at all, or you have a Gen Z-er in your life, you know about TikTok.
- Owned by Beijing-based Internet company ByteDance, TikTok is arguably the newest place to be when it comes to music discovery, and it’s hard not to be when you take over the giant lip-sync app that was Musical.ly.
- Earlier this year, ByteDance hit over 1B downloads across their suite of apps, 100M of them in the US and 250M of them in India, according to CNN.
- Some of its biggest stars are just regular people: teens dancing, moms decorating cookies, people playing practical jokes on each other….but it’s all frequently set to music.
- So who’s winning that never-ending game for eyes and ears on TikTok?
- As of yesterday, the top track used was none other than Lil Nas X and Billy Ray Cyrus’s “Old Town Road (remix)”, with 9.3M videos using the now record-breaking track.
- One thing to note about TikTok as a music platform is that-at least in its current state-it’s not the neatest from a metadata perspective. It’s more about the users’ creativity.
- As users are free to record and upload video and audio like YouTube, songs can be uploaded with no identifying song name or artist to keep track.
- Or in Lil Nas X’s case, duplicates. There were two original track copies of “Old Town Road” in the 28th and 34th positions on the top tracks chart yesterday, with 2.3 and 2M videos respectively. So if you include remixes, the track is definitely the top one on the Chinese platform with over 13.6M TikTok videos with the yeehaw anthem.
- And while there is a Trending Video chart, where Mariah Carey’s 2009 track “Obsessed” is currently the soundtrack for the #1 and #2 videos, you don’t have to go to the trending chart to find non-Top 40 tracks.
- For example, Why Mona’s 2017 moody electronic cover of the Spice Girls’ “Wannabe” took the #2 spot yesterday with 9.2M videos, due to its viral dance that many users uploaded the song with.
- In 4th place with 7.6M videos is Sean Kingston’s 2007 track “Beautiful Girls”, where lots of TikTok-ers are do a cute hand dance or some Fortnite moves.
- Or in 135th place with 791K videos is none other than ABBA, with their 1986 track “Gimme! Gimme! Gimmie!”, because it has a nice “reveal” type of drop into its chorus. Users like to provide some kind of visual surprise or fun moment when it hits.
- So if you’ve got a catalog track ripe for memes, let her rip, because the world awaits its next hashtag!
- That’s it for your Daily Data Dump for Thursday, August 15th, 2019. This is Jason from Chartmetric.
- Our new TikTok Top Tracks and Trending Video charts are now live, check them out with a free account at chartmetric.com
- Article links and show notes are at: podcast.chartmetric.com
- Happy Thursday, we’ll see you tomorrow!
What is How Music Charts?
Welcome to How Music Charts, where we bring you interviews and analysis from music industry professionals bridging data and creativity in the music business every day. Feel free to email us ([email protected]), say hi on our socials (@chartmetric), and dive deeper into music and data on our blog (blog.chartmetric.com). Free accounts are available at chartmetric.com!