In this episode, Adam is joined by Taylor Otwell the creator of Laravel to talk about their approaches to testing Laravel applications.
- How their approaches have changed over time
- Feature tests vs. unit tests, when to use each
- Testing code that interacts with external services
- Using fakes instead of mocks
- Contract tests
- Testing view data vs. rendered HTML
- Rollbar, sign up at https://rollbar.com/fullstackradio to try their Bootstrap Plan free for 90 days
- Test-Driven Laravel, Adam's testing course
- Laravel Horizon test suite
- Laravel Fakes documentation
- "Don't Mock What You Don't Own", Adam's screencast on testing wrappers for external services
- "Writing Your Own Test Doubles", Adam's blog post on using fakes instead of mocks
- "Preventing API Drift with Contract Tests", Adam's screencast on using traits to create contract tests between fake and real implementations
What is Full Stack Radio?
A podcast for developers interested in building great software products. Every episode, Adam Wathan is joined by a guest to talk about everything from product design and user experience to unit testing and system administration.