Nikolay: Hello, hello, this is Postgres.FM. My name is Nik as usual, PostgresAI, and as usual with me, Michael, pgMustard. Hi, Michael.
Michael: Hello, Nik.
Nikolay: So we have a question today from one of the listeners, and it's about archiving. I have so many options what it can mean. Where to start?
Michael: Yeah, well they specifically asked whether it was possible for us to do a video on archiving and they said they want to archive a database that is about 5 terabytes in size. So what do you assume that means when you first hear it?
Nikolay: Well if you are familiar with Postgres internals, and just not internals, at least about Postgres architecture. Archiving is simple. You just set up archive command. That's it, right? But it's a joke. I think this is not what was meant here. So I think 5 terabyte these days is an average size database. Who doesn't agree? Well, I see bigger databases and 5TB is not a big database anymore. It was big 10 years ago. These days big means more than 10 terabytes. This is just it. Right. So 5 terabytes is a very large database and archiving it means that we want to keep it longer term, right? How I read it? We want to keep it longer term and or we want probably to clean up. Sometimes we want to clean up. Well, yeah, because for example, if imagine it's e-commerce, we accumulated order history for many, many years. It's not used, but it's so much data. So why not archive it and then clean up? Clean up in Postgres, straightforward clean up with delete as we discussed many times, it's not an easy operation in large databases because of MVCC, vacuum and all these complexities. So if it's partitioned, if bigger tables are partitioned, then cleanup is easy, right? We just detach and drop all partitions, that's it. And before that, obviously, archiving makes a lot of sense. But even if you don't have a task to clean up, archiving might make sense for backup purposes, right? We
Michael: want to
Nikolay: keep archive for long, yeah. Or maybe there are requirements. There also may be there are requirements, right?
Michael: Yeah, I think there's an argument that it's slightly different to backups. But I'm not actually certain that my like what how I have like internalized that is actually that actually is helpful in any practical sense because if you've got data archived you've got it's kind of a backup right Like it is another source of old data. But I do think they're different in that you wouldn't expect an archive to have up-to-date data, whereas you would expect a backup to have up-to-date data. So I do think there's like subtle differences. And also I think, also I think you backup and you archive for different reasons, therefore there's different trade-offs. So like, if we're backing up in order to be able to get back online quickly if we have a disaster that you might want to put it somewhere different in a different format than if we archive it because we need access to it but not necessarily performantly.
Nikolay: For me, in real life, we, For example, take our DBLab or experiments. Experiments should be done on clones, right? On thin clones, on branching, if it's DBLab, for example, or full-fledged clones on separate virtual machines, like if it's self-managed, right? And we say, let's restore either from snapshot, cloud snapshot of disk, or let's restore from backups or from archive. And there is purely like synonyms for me. Like let's restore from archive. And that's why archive command, it's a part of backups, right, it's archiving WALs. And we say we have many like versions of our database, not versions, many exemplars of our database and archive or in backups. Backups, archive, it's the same for me in this case. And of course we want to be it quickly restored, but These days if it's cloud, it's easy to configure. So you basically archive it, back it up using pgBackRest or WAL-G. It goes to S3 or other object storage like GCS or I'm not an expert in Azure Blob Storage, they say, they name it, right? And there you can configure it. So for example, a couple of weeks later, that backup automatically moves to colder storage, like in S3 it's called Glacier.
Michael: To an archive.
Nikolay: Well, all our archives, 1 is hotter, another is colder, right? It's Glacier or like in GCS and Google Cloud, it's called Coldline, I don't remember the name. But the idea is it's cheaper, but slower to restore. And this still causes a bug which is known many years in WAL-G. I recently vibe-coded a fix because it changes modification time and latest becomes broken. If you want to restore using uppercase latest with WAL-G, will WAL-G backup fetch latest? In this case it will fetch wrong, might fetch wrong backup because it's based on mod time, modification time. And if when, when it's moved automatically to colder storage, modification time of old backup changes. So latest might be broken. I recently I sent it to Andrey already pull request to fix it in WAL-G. It should be fixed, right? Yeah, but I mean modification time cannot be trusted here obviously so but it's a good idea and it's great that cloud's support is super easy to do, you just configure some policy, how long to keep them, how long to like when to move to all colder storage, so it allows you to for the same money to keep archives for longer right so
Michael: or if you if you're if like for example you're doing this for compliance reasons and you're the length
Nikolay: of
Michael: time is predetermined how long you have to keep it for, you can keep it for that long for cheaper. Like that, it feels to me like that's the more, yeah.
Nikolay: Yeah, so obviously it's not SSD anymore, it's HDD, but it's still super reliable, and as I understand, they like promise like a lot of nines, like amazing number of nines. 11 nines or how many? It's like basically all-
Michael: But here we're talking about durability, not availability, right?
Nikolay: Yeah. Exactly. So obviously data won't be lost. That's the key. And it can be stored for years, years, years if you want. Right. And that's great. The only risk remains if somebody possesses your cloud account access, they might destroy everything. To protect from that, there is a lock option, right? You can lock and basically say you cannot delete, nobody can delete, or you can copy to different account or even different cloud
Michael: Yeah, right. So different permissions, right?
Nikolay: Right, and if it's again if it's backups using WAL-G what because the WAL-G has a special comment for this copy. So you can copy from 1 backup location, 1 archive location to different archive location, right? But if you are on managed Postgres, In this case, physical backups are not available unless it's Crunchy Bridge, right? Which is great that they allow it to access physical backups and WALs. And in this case, the only option remains is to create logical backup, which I prefer to call dump. And we had an episode is logical backup a backup? My answer is still no. But
Michael: Is it an archive? Because I think, like, archiving almost always isn't incremental, right? Like, you do it in batches, right? You take a whole year and archive it. So in this case, it's not changing. So a logical dump is kind of, is an archive.
Nikolay: Well, for me, again, I don't feel this difference. I hear you, you feel some difference. But for me, all backups are also archive. They're just continuous thanks to WAL archive. They consist of 2 parts full or like deltas, incremental, differential, there are many names and additionally there, but basically like full copy of data directory plus WALs, right, and WALs make them like continuous. This archive becomes continuous.
Michael: This is where I think we have a difference because I think these let's go back to the question right they want to archive a database that's 5 terabytes in size. That's all the information we got. But we don't like, there's a chance that it's an old product that's no longer served and they just need to keep the data for a certain amount of time. It could be that it doesn't need to be accessed anymore. It could be, it could be all manner of...
Nikolay: They maybe want to drop database and just keep it for history right? So to answer this question directly the first thing we need to understand is it managed service or we have access to physical level. If it's managed service, the only option for us is pg_dump.
Michael: No, I disagree. Why? Well, because I think you could... So depending on the parameters, right, like you could export it in a different format, right? There's a lot of...
Nikolay: Okay, logical backup is the only option here. Yes. Although technically speaking, we can rely on... We can say, okay, let's create a snapshot and consider the archive and rely on RDS that they will keep it for longer. Why not?
Michael: Yeah but so here's what I'm thinking though and 5 terabytes is not very large right as you were saying at the beginning. But if in the general case where we care about cost it seems like cost actually matters here, it's 1 of the main reasons for doing this in the first place. If we care a lot about cost it feels to me like some of the newer formats that compress extremely well like, and maybe new is not the right term, but it's new to me in terms of coming across it from a Postgres perspective but the formats like Iceberg and Parquet that compress down extremely well feels to me like would be the cheapest way of archiving data that's static and is not going to be changing or you're going to get a new batch of it once per year. Like the archiving use cases that I'm thinking of. If we exported in those formats they'd be tiny, like the 5 terabytes might go down 95% or so.
Nikolay: Oh, I doubt. 20 times, I doubt. Well, maybe. Okay, What have you seen?
Michael: Yeah, I've seen people reporting that kind of... Even on the Timescale compression side, I've seen that reported. And that wasn't even...
Nikolay: Depending on data again.
Michael: Yeah, depends on the data. But if you've got a lot of numerical... A lot of columns that compress... That have a lot of similar data in them, which I think is pretty common, especially for like, if we're thinking it's healthcare related or financial, like transactional data, A lot of that is numerical stuff.
Nikolay: Well, I, again, like, okay, Parquet is interesting. I think it's an option as well. And in this case, you can also, like, it depends on access patterns later, right? We need to, first thing we need to answer, do we have access to physical or only logical? Logical, we obviously have access because this is our database. Yeah. I suppose. All right, so physical versus logical thing. We discussed it many times, but physical also can be compressed, right? So both WAL-G and pgBackRest, they compress data directory and WALs. So why not? The only thing to like, super important thing to remember is that you cannot just take data directory, that's it. You need to make sure WALs are also archived. If it's only logical, OK, there is a Parquet option, but also there is a pg_dump option, which also has compression.
Michael: Yeah, but we're not getting the compression like at the page level, right? Or kind of the row level. And I think column level compression is hard to compete with.
Nikolay: Well, it's page level or file level?
Michael: File level. Okay, what's the difference?
Nikolay: What is the difference? Huh how... Well from pg_dump I would expect 10x sometimes in some cases 10x compression if you... There are options in pg_dump, right? zstd I would check definitely, and it has, do you remember if pg_dump allows to control compression level? Can you set compression level 19? It will be terribly slow, right? Or if you check... We might
Michael: be okay with that. That's the nice thing about this use case, is we might be okay with really slow retrieval really slow restores because the main point is keep it for many years
Nikolay: right right anyway anyway pg_dump supports for multiple years already, it supports options and you can control compression level there. You cannot control compression level in WAL compression, which compresses full-page writes inside, full-page images inside WAL, right? There, it was my proposal, I need to finish it. There you can control algorithm, but not the level of compression. So I'm not sure everyone needs it, but still for completeness, we should support it in Postgres, right? But for pg_dump, definitely you can control level. So if you are okay to wait and load CPU a lot, and it will like in some if you check That is the 19. I think it should be super slow But maybe beneficial for in terms of size and of course the restore will be also slow, right? Yeah Yeah
Michael: that I think that is something to factor in if people are deciding which way to go though is what kind of questions are you going to get of this old data? Like are there going to be auditors that want to come along and be able to Query it? Does it matter that it takes like if you're going to get advance warning that they're coming, does it matter that it takes a day to restore? Are there gonna be analytical queries? Like are people gonna want to know aggregations on it? Because then if it's gonna be mostly aggregates, maybe you do want it in some columnar format where you can get those done quickly.
Nikolay: Well, you confuse me, but obviously, when you compress a dump, it's file level, so the whole thing is compressed, It's not page level.
Michael: That makes sense, yeah.
Nikolay: It should be good. Page level, if it's, for example, you store something on ZFS, there it's page level. Here, no. The whole thing is compressed. It can be super slow, of course, but quite well compressed. Not sure how it will compete with Parquet. I have not a lot of experience with it So like in production we have a customer who has it Self-managed database and Archived from time to time in Parquet format. Yeah, and it's great. It's good work. It's also ZFS. It's interesting setup But anyway, I think there is a potential here if somebody wants to write some article or do some research, there are many options to discover here and benchmark. Like we could build some decision tree, like physical or logical how to decide, I would stick with physical always, if recovery time matters, and if we want continuous archiving, right? If and if we have access, of course, because if no access, it's blocked, this patch is blocked. Logical, okay, dump or Parquet format. Dump, we have compression options. Definitely I would choose, I would not choose a single file. Well, again, depends, right? But normally we choose custom format because we want compression and parallelization, right? Because if you want single file dump, then you cannot use parallelization. And you will be limited by a single vCPU work when dumping and restoring. When you use custom format, you can say how many jobs, how many vCPUs to utilize when dumping and separately when restoring. It can be different number. And this matters a lot if we want to dump faster and restore faster, right? This thing. And then finally, like, so this is a decision making tree, right? And then finally, where to store it? Is it, definitely archive shouldn't be stored on expensive SSD disks, right? It should be stored. Object storage is great if it's cloud, right? If it's not cloud, some cheap disks, which we don't use a lot, so they serve as archive. Or even, is tape still an option? I think in many organizations, which old organizations still use tape. Well, it has a huge lifespan, right? So tape, right? Why not? Anyway, it should be something which we know is reliable, will live very long, right? But also we need to take into account restoration timing, right?
Michael: Maybe, yeah.
Nikolay: Because glacier super cheap, S3 glaciers, like the cheapest, but also the slowest to recover from, right? Yeah. To fetch, fetch data, fetch data from there. So it's interesting, right? And physical backups also can be, physical archive also can be placed into various locations. So location question, I think it's a separate decision.
Michael: Well, yeah. I think there's a couple of other things to factor in. Because if you do store it in parquet for example, you can query it without restoring. You don't even have to restore to get the data.
Nikolay: Yeah, that's great. Great option. Also logical dump path is great because it allows you partial archive. If you want only specific tables. And also of course you need to take into account that you only archive data, no helper data. Helper data is indexes or materialized views. So derived things, well, which means that recovery will be longer, right? So I would say if you are going to drop some database for historical purposes Even if you have a physical access, I would probably do dump still 5 terabytes dump... If it's powerful machine definitely within 1 hour definitely You know, but
Michael: yeah, we took local
Nikolay: Yeah, and if it's like with many threads, you can... Well, if it's a... By the way, dumps are always interesting. I think it doesn't matter, Parquet or native pg_dump. If you have unpartitioned case and, for example, 5 terabytes, but 4 of them is a single table. We see it a lot, actually. 1 huge table. Usually called logs or history or something like historical events. Sometimes queue-like workload, but something like accumulated. And then people think how to get rid of it. Partitioning is needed there, right? Because without partitioning, dumping will be single threaded as well. Although you could create your own tool, and I think actually pg_dump could support it, using ID ranges, dump using multiple parallel threads. Theoretically, it's possible and you can write this. But out of the box, pg_dump will limit you and probably dumping 5 terabytes will look like this. And you say, I want to utilize all my 16 cores and using 16 threads to send it to S3. First 10 minutes, all 16 threads are utilized. And then a couple of hours, just single thread is working. Because 1 huge table. That's why. So partitioning would become archiving much faster and more flexible to tune, like, like let's move faster because, again, if it's live database, every time we archive logically, we have long-running transaction. And we affect vacuum behavior, even if it's on replicas which have hot_standby_feedback on, right? So this can lead to higher bloat and various negative consequences.
Michael: I don't see it as much anymore, but I used to get quite frustrated seeing partitioning advice that mostly focused on like the read performance benefits of partitioning, and the more I've learned about it over the years the more I think the main reason to partition is for these maintenance tasks and for health of the database overall but time-based in particular if you've got an archiving requirement if you're ever going to need to remove data based on time time-based partitioning is just a dream
Nikolay: yeah you're absolutely right as some LLMs say. So exactly like this archiving, restoring, like dump restore, how vacuum works, how index creation works. Even physical backups benefit from partitioning because if updates and serve deletes are localized to specific files. So Postgres keeps tables and indexes and files up to 1 gigabyte. So if it's 5 terabytes, 4 of each single table, it will be shrinked to 1 gigabyte files and imagine we have a single and partition table all writes can come to any of these files all the time any blocks inside any pages all the time all the time like it's it's not localized right And in this case, if you use snapshots, RDS snapshots, they have incremental support, right? So first snapshot is full, and then next snapshot is just diff at block level. If you use WAL-G or pgBackRest, they also have delta backups or incremental backups or differential backups where also at block level, only changes are backed up, right? So in this case, if you have a huge table, you write constantly everywhere, your delta will be bigger compared to the case when you write only to a specific file, which is like our latest file, and only occasionally you write updating all data, all the records. In this case, these deltas will be much more localized and this is also beneficial, right? So even physical backups will benefit from partitioning. So general advice, yes, and our general advice was always if you exceed 100 gigabytes, 1 table, it's time to partition. People ask, is it counting, like do we count it with indexes, with TOAST, well without, well it's a very very rough number. So recently we started saying okay if it's exceeding 50 gigabytes already let's think about partitioning, right? Without indexes maybe.
Michael: The point is don't worry about it if your whole database is 1 gigabyte but also if your largest table is already a terabyte maybe it's a good time to
Nikolay: it's late
Michael: you know what I mean, the reason for giving a rule of thumb is give people an idea of where they stand, roughly. And if you're close to that number, be thinking about it.
Nikolay: So we have funny stories when AI companies come to us for help because they grow too fast and they need help. Yeah. They lack database expertise. We have a bunch of AI companies, AI startups. And it was an interesting story. So some company achieved between 10 to 20 terabytes already. And they have table succeeding terabyte. And someone from our team says they should partition a year ago but I said I just launched a year ago. The pace is very very high and I think Postgres needs improvements in the area of partitioning to simplify how like developer experience and I hope we will work in this area next year with our tooling.
Michael: It has got a lot better at native partitioning. It feels like maybe not 18 as much, but it feels like most releases before then, since it was introduced, there was like significant improvements. Maybe there were in 18
Nikolay: as well. In terms of various like detached partition concurrently, in terms of support of online operations, locking things, but still it's super painful. Still. You know, like you need basically to, you need to allocate an engineer for a month or 2 to implement it. And we have great guidelines, which we give our clients, but still lack of automation.
Michael: You mean like to migrate from non-partition setup to a partition setup?
Nikolay: Yeah. The hardest part here is that everyone is using various ORMs and they want this tooling to be closer to their language. There is of course pg_partman but still.
Michael: Oh, okay. It's about the creation of new partition. Okay, interesting.
Nikolay: Yeah. It's about creation of new partition and then maintaining it because when you have partition schema already, there is amplification on several risks. 1 of them very well known LockManager, right? And I had a series of blog posts recently, studied Postgres 18 and deeper, also in the context of prepared statements. And it was interesting. And another thing is that any DDL schema changes, they might be really Painful, right? Even simple index creation or dropping index can be painful or foreign keys, right? So yeah, it requires every time you need like Every time we see like people implement some nuances and it feels like Postgres needs to solve it. Fair. All
Michael: right, anything else on the archiving front?
Nikolay: Final thing, if you archive something, but haven't tested, right? It's
Michael: like backups, right?
Nikolay: Yeah, Schrödinger.
Michael: When we say tested, you mean like, can it
Nikolay: be restored?
Michael: Can it be queried? And also, is it the same as the data it was originally? Like, it's verifying as well, right? Like, do some basic checks.
Nikolay: Exactly. So unverified, unrestored backups and archives are like undercooked.
Michael: Yeah, great point.
Nikolay: Just simply undercooked and should be considered as a huge critical mistake that's it
Michael: huge and a very small mistake
Nikolay: yeah yeah so if you if you did something but never run if you write a code but never run and ship, how does it feel? The same with backups, you created a backup but you haven't tested the archives, so It's a critical mistake, that's it.
Michael: Nice, good addition.
Nikolay: This addition, yeah, just almost overlooked. Yeah, okay?
Michael: Nice, well, thanks again and catch you next time.
Nikolay: Bye bye.