Duke: All right. Very special episode today, huh, Corey?
CJ: Oh dude, duke, this is an amazing episode. , I'd say probably one of our all time special episodes,
Duke: Yeah. Have we got a deal for you?
CJ: so Duke, today we have with us. Stephanie Fairbanks. Stephanie, welcome to the show. This is special for me because you're one of the first people that I, , met in the ServiceNow ecosystem outside of Robert. And we have obviously been friends ever since, which is, I don't know, we probably won't say how many years. Lot of years. A whole lot of years.
Stephie: first of all, thank you guys so much for taking the time to speak with me today and, bring me on the podcast. I'm really excited. and yes, Corey Eye, candy Mandalay Bay, probably about 10 or 11 years ago, I think was when we first met. , And, Robert and I actually, we met even prior to that, probably about 12 or 13 years ago. So, , really excited to be speaking with you guys today. Thank you.
Duke: So a lot of people are like, who's this Stephanie character?, But if you know, you know, right. Corey and Stephanie has been one of those behind the scenes unsung heroes who literally had the whole team up on her back for the first few years of ServiceNow in North America anyway, back when there was like, literally nobody knew how to do it and everybody needed a ServiceNow resource, and those who knew, either got found by Stephanie or went to Stephanie, to get work or to get people who could actually do the job. So not many people know the name, but hopefully that'll change after this podcast.
CJ: Yeah, that's the goal, to give you , the kudos you so deserve Steph, because you have, Accelerated, so many careers and you have enabled so many implementations, And personally, I think it's unfair, , that you are an unsung hero and you should be one that, folks are writing lots and lots of hymns about.
Stephie: Well, thank you.
Duke: So I was gonna ask you your own words, if you could, tell the world what is it that you do in the ServiceNow space?
Stephie: The short answer is I connect top talent with clients and projects. The long answer is I'm maintaining grow relationships with both my clients and ServiceNow professionals, and I'm always looking for a way to connect people in my. A pretty large ServiceNow network. working hard to build trust, getting to know people, knowing what they're looking for in their next role, knowing what my clients are looking for in a candidate, and bringing everyone together. That's really what I do. It's like, hosting a big party every day.
CJ: Nice. I like, I like that metaphor. A big party. I don't recall there ever being any drinks though. So, um.
Stephie: maybe we can work on that. We'll see.
Duke: A lot of people might say, oh, that sounds like recruiting, but she's so good at it. It is like a separate category. it's not recruiting 'cause she just, she's way too good at it. And it goes beyond just plugging resources into gaps. Like I've seen Stephanie thread the needle so many times where massive implementation, hyper rare skillset, just all these weird conditions and terms and just, it always worked.
Stephie: I think my, secret sauce is, , I have a rule that I'm always recruiting, right? I'm always looking for great talent, and. Fortunately, I have a really good memory and that's really helped me in this career because people that I met years ago, if I maintain that relationship, sometimes it takes time. But to find that role that works, understanding their skillset , and where they thrive within the ServiceNow platform, has just allowed me to, be successful , in this career. And, I'm grateful for that. And yeah, I mean, I think that's truly the secret sauce is always be recruiting. Never stop building your, talent pipeline. and develop that relationship with people. It's, a human touch where you understand who they are, and what they're looking for. And, and you take that time, you know, I know. So many, professionals , in the ServiceNow industry, , and their, kids' names and, their spouse's names, it's that special touch and it's that human touch that I think often gets forgotten, , when you're in a, recruiting role.
CJ: Stephanie, I think that's, Spot on, right? there are recruiters who are like, Hey, I got a, gig, and are you interested? And then, you have a conversation with them and it fits or it doesn't fit, and they move on to the next person. And you know, two months later they reach out to you again and they're like, Hey, I got a gig. You know, are you interested? And the thing that they send you is so either above or below your level that you can tell that they have no idea who you are, even though they. Not in your area of expertise. Right? Like. Yeah, right. Like
Duke: You know, you know what just grinds my gears too, is the ones that just put you on the list, They'll get a, gig that they need to fill, and you're just another name on the list that got the same email.
CJ: exactly
Duke: Like, I, I never got an email from Stephanie, ever. It was more like, it was like a text. It was an instant message. That's personal touch. That's the human touch right there.
CJ: That is, that's a good point. And now that I think about it, I've never gotten an email from Steph it's always like a text or , a reach out, phone call, something like that. And, that point about building relationships, , I don't wanna lose track, of that because I do think that's what separates you, Stephanie, from a lot of the other recruiters that I've worked with over the course of my career. Is that you do know my kids, right? Like you do know, you know my wife's name. You do know like the type of work that I like to do, the type that I don't like to do, to do the type that I will grudgingly accept, right? The stuff that's completely off limits, you know, it's.
Stephie: Yeah, I,
CJ: and you know that stuff because we've had those conversations and you know, the types of projects that I, the dynamic of the project that I like to work on, the dynamic that I will actively avoid the, scale of the project that I want, and, you know, all of those things that I think. Makes the project ultimately successful are things that you know, and that you've asked about and that you catalog and, and that you keep those things, at the top of your head because you're not recruiting, you're building those relationships. Right. And I don't know that there is a, term for it, right? Because I know If you, if we were talking about sales, there are sales in this business development, I think what you do aligns itself with business development from a recruiting perspective more than it would from sales, Because you focus a lot more on building the relationship, but it's a deeper strategic aspect of it, right? , And I just, don't see that from very many people.
Duke: I think she plays the long game, once it came out my mouth, it is just as clear as day now that over all these years, she's never interrupted me with something that was clearly not the fit. So she's got this job to fill and she's just like, she knows it's, I don't know, CMDB or something like that. She's like, well, I'm just not gonna call Robert on it 'cause I know Robert's not gonna to do that. Right. So she never just like send it across anyway and see what happens because, you
Stephie: Well, and I think the key there right is, I believe that the two of you could do anything on ServiceNow, but I know that you don't want to do anything on ServiceNow. And I think that, I think that oftentimes, recruiters, always just wanna, throw. I mean, you, you guys are some of the best, right? You wanna throw the best people at your clients. But if it's not a role that you guys would want or want to take, I think that's important to recognize. And, nobody wants to do a job that they, don't want to do. , So why try a, square peg in a circular hole, or I think I probably got that wrong, but you guys get what I'm saying. It's, you don't wanna try to make something fit that's not gonna fit. And it's, more than just saying, the resume says they have this experience. It's understanding who you guys are and what you're looking for in your opportunities , and what work you'll take next. And, I just think that's an important thing , that often gets forgotten and, recruiting. Yes. It's, a fast-paced environment. but there's more to it than just saying, this resume says you'll do the work and you can, so let's just do that. It, there's a finesse to it and, I think that often gets forgotten, and overlooked.
CJ: So Stephanie, let's, quantify that for folks, In terms of how valuable what you do is. I've been working with you about 11 years. And you have been constantly putting me on project. Projects for , the entire length of that time. You and Robert have been working together for longer than that and you've been, placing him on projects , like how many of us do you have that you've just been working with for years and years and years and just been getting jobs over and over and over again?
Stephie: you know, I don't have an exact number, to say right now, but I can say that I have a really strong, solid group of, independent contractors, that, I've worked with for, gosh, my entire career. I don't know. I don't even, I wouldn't even know a number to pull out to, to
CJ: So that many.
Stephie: there's meant study. Yes. And each one of you is specialized, right? each one of you has a specific, part of, ServiceNow that you prefer the product line that you prefer to work in, and ones that are okay and you like them, but they're not your fave. And then there's ones that, you don't wanna touch at all. And, and that's okay. And that's what I think recruiters forget that it's okay that, somebody doesn't want to work on a specific part because it allows them to build their skillset elsewhere and where they really wanna focus. , So yeah, there's quite a few,
CJ: And, and, and the reason I think that's important, is because obviously if we've been working together for a decade or more, right? the projects that, , we've been working together on we're successful, right? And, to your point, about putting, a square peg in a round hole, if you are placing people in, places where they are not a good fit. Then the overall outcome of that, , transaction is gonna be poor, right? But the fact that you take so much time and build so many relationships and understanding, you influence the outcome of the project, By building those relationships with the folks that you're going to put on them, way ahead of time.
Stephie: Yeah, I mean Robert said that, it's the long game, right? And I think. In recruiting, it's always how fast can I make something happen right now today? , But playing that long game and, realizing that well, I may not have the right role today, doesn't mean that I won't have it that afternoon or the next day or the day after, because you never know when these things are gonna spin up. I remember there, there have been so many times where I've, , been. lucky enough to, , pull a rabbit out of a hat. For instance, I had a, a specific role. Corey you may remember this, years ago. , I had a client call me on a Friday afternoon and they needed somebody on Monday morning on site in California, San Francisco, I believe it was. and it was for an ex obscure at the time. product line, within ServiceNow. I mean, this was, gosh, probably nine years ago. so I'm not remembering all the details, but I had spoken to somebody who had that exact skillset who was available for that travel a month prior. And, uh, the client reached out, said, Stephanie, what can you do for me? I said, Ooh. I got one, I know someone, let's see if he's available. And I made a quick phone call, made it all happen. Worked through the weekend to get all of the travel set up and ready to go. And Monday morning PST time zone there he was standing ready to walk into the building and That's the value in building that kind of talent pipeline. Is knowing and being able to remember what everyone's looking for and what their skillset is and where they, specialize. you can turn it around that fast. if you're always keeping your talent pipeline fresh and excited and new and informed. which is another really big thing that I always, , work hard to, that I strive to do for all of my, , candidates, is to keep them informed and well, and my clients too. You gotta keep them informed, but often we go through some ghosting and that, that you've seen that happen. , And I work very hard to ensure that that doesn't occur. because, because why? Why would you? Right.
Duke: Well, especially when you're playing the long game, right? That's part and parcel of it. Um.
Stephie: Mm-hmm.
Duke: this wasn't on script at all, but I'm wondering ' we see you from the, resources getting connected to work perspective and so it's, easier for us to see your secret sauce there. But I'm wondering , is there a secret sauce that you have on the other side of that equation? The organizations that you've helped pull talent into and get jobs done, is there some magic that you do there that you feel other people don't?
Stephie: well, I think it's taking the time to understand the need, , in its entirety, anyone can come to me and say, Stephanie, I'm looking for somebody who's, , specialized in ITSM. Well, I got a million because almost everyone is at this point. But, Understanding kind of the intricacies of a project and asking the right questions when you're talking with your, clients and understanding what their needs are, for that specific role, I think is important. And I think that because this industry is so fast-paced and it has such a quick turnover that some of those details get lost, right. And part of what I do is I'm never afraid to ask questions. I'm not very technical. There is a lot, I don't know. , I know people well. and I think that it's important to never be afraid to ask questions, , no matter how silly they may sound. And I think that's something that does get lost. I would say that that's my, Secret sauce when working with clients and is understanding the projects, never being afraid to ask the questions, to ensure that I'm aligning them with the right talent.
CJ: it's funny, just going back to that, that one story you shared earlier about the guy in California, I do remember that, and I do remember, like, I didn't think that was possible. And so it was crazy when you pulled it off,
Stephie: Yeah, I mean it's, a proud achievement.
CJ: Yeah. No, just that, that was just simply amazing. but one of, the things you just said about asking questions, right? I think that translates across both aisles, right? Like asking questions to your client, make sure you understand the project so that when you talk to, the, , folks that you might place there, right? You can, one, give them the information they need to make an intelligent decision. but then you also ask a lot of questions from us too, right? So that you un you can completely understand. Like how that match is going to work out. You know, I just think it's, one of the things that people don't do when they're building transactional relationships versus long-term ones.
Stephie: absolutely. And I think that's a good way to put it. A transactional relationship versus a long-term relationship. And, I really value the relationships I've been able to build with. ServiceNow talent. and Corey, you had mentioned like, we're friends, right? I ask about your family, I care about your family. And, and Robert, like I know I've known you for a million years. We had pizza at an old building across the street from the Sears Tower, a million moons ago. And, you know, knowing, knowing
Duke: Why I gotta be the one that's a million years old.
Stephie: hey.
Duke: Don't get me wrong, I feel it. I definitely feel.
Stephie: You know, and I think that's something that's also so cool. It's 2012 is when I, joined with, my previous employer. And, I knew nothing of the ServiceNow ecosystem. I knew nothing about recruiting. I knew nothing about ServiceNow. And, I had to, learn it all from the ground up. It was all self-taught, because I wanted it. And, being fortunate enough to cross paths with you, Robert, and you, Corey, early on in my career has given me the ability to grow and learn from you guys, the experts. Right? , And it's helped me in my career so much because if I don't know something. I know I can, I can call Corey and ask a stupid question. He might laugh at me, but he is gonna give me a really good answer and explain it to me in its entirety, which that's how I know I found somebody. Great. If they can make me understand, , ServiceNow from a technical perspective, I. You're great, you're a great consultant because I don't always understand the technical side of things. , But back to 2012, right? We kind of all grew up together, We all were finding our way in this new landscape, of ServiceNow and, learning about the ecosystem and I mean, I remember some of the early days and , how small the knowledges were, or all of the user groups were, they were so small. and it was just, such a cool thing to be a part of, and to learn together and grow together. it's just been, an experience that I never anticipated, , when I started this career in 2012.
Duke: I don't think any of us really understood, I was working with tools of this type. For a long time, but they were very constrained to it. So nobody really knew what was behind the corner of bringing those workflows to the rest of the organization and how explosively that would grow. But I'm wondering now, now that we've each played our own long game, some of us better than others, for what you do? Do you find it easier now or harder now?
Stephie: the answer to that's like totally double-sided, right? Because I have a vast network, because I have such trusted relationships, within the ecosystem. that makes my job easier in one aspect. But when I'm searching for new talent, It's gotten harder because, , truth be told, there's scammy candidates out there that, try to pull one over on recruiters all the time. I've fallen victim to it. I don't know many recruiters that have not, and trying to find. your way through that, is hard. , It's somebody pretending to know, more than they actually do on the platform. Or, your original conversation maybe with somebody who's, an expert on ServiceNow and then you're, sequential calls with that person and their experience changes and they may not answer questions correctly, or something you spoke about previously doesn't line up and,, I would say that that makes it harder. but being that we're all remote for quite a few years recently, I think everyone's gotten more comfortable to be on camera. And If you're not gonna show your face on camera, we're not doing this. It's so important, I've gotta see you. I've gotta know you're a real person., Even if you forgot to brush your teeth that morning, I gotta see you. , Because , I need to know that I am presenting somebody who's real and tangible and is who they say they are and can accomplish what I need them to with my clients.
CJ: that is so true. I've heard so many stories about folks, , who. I've gotten hired for a gig and, either don't show up or more importantly, more specifically, or more, hilariously, one person did the interview, another person showed up for the gig.
Stephie: I
Duke: How did that even happen?
Stephie: It's so wild.
Duke: There's just, oh, man,
CJ: Yeah.
Duke: the, the, the, the nerve. The nerve. I don't understand how people can live with themselves. It's so cringey. It's so cringey and.
CJ: Dude, I was LinkedIn friends with one of those people, like connected on LinkedIn with a person who I thought was real until, that person got hired at, , one of my clients at the time and was supposed to show up and they had three, four days, they were like. I'm not sure this is the same person that we interview with, they don't seem to be recalling any of the conversations that we had previously. And, you know, I asked for the name and I went and looked on LinkedIn to see if I can figure, figure it out. And lo and behold, I'm connected with the person. I'm like, how is, what is.
Stephie: It, it's totally bamboozled. it happens. It's unfortunate when it does. I know I do my due diligence to ensure it doesn't happen, but man, sometimes they can get real good at hiding it. Right? And, it's crazy that it happens. but it does. And so I would say that side of things makes my job harder now. but being that I have a vast network of trusted people, that makes it easier. So it's a two sided answer.
Duke: Yeah. You don't have to trust in strangers much anymore. Do you like
Stephie: No.
Duke: Yeah. I wonder if we could take this a slightly different direction. Corey and I just came off of two episodes on networking and we're getting a lot of positive feedback and I thought maybe, you might have. Some interesting advice on somebody who's new to the ecosystem and how they might network coming from where you came from where, you know, at the beginning everybody was a beginner and we all just learned to dealt with it. And over the years you've, dealing with experts and newbies and all the stuff in between.
Stephie: Networking is crucial to what I do, both with clients and candidates. . And I'm a people person, so I've, it comes naturally to me, I like talking to people. I like understanding who they are, and what drives them, what their motivations are. I think that, LinkedIn is a great tool, to be able to network in a business environment. . Well, sometimes business environment, sometimes not so much anymore, but, um, it's a, it's, it's, it's, allows you to network, in a way that is not in person. But there's nothing that is going to, ever take away that in-person networking. I think, meeting with people, attending networking events as cheesy as they can be, It's crucial. And, , for somebody who's starting out new, , I would say never hesitate to reach out to somebody. more often than not, people are willing to help. , They want to see others succeed. , You will rarely get a door slammed in your face. People are gonna say, yeah, come on in. Let's see what we can do. what are you looking for? , So I would say that, , never be afraid. To reach out to somebody who you think would not wanna talk to you, because odds are they will and they want to. , Yeah, I think that's, that's really it. And like always be yourself. , Just be yourself. Don't put on, , a show. Building relationships is being transparent to who you are, and, projecting that out to other people. And I think that's also something that helps, is transparency, honesty, building relationships, being yourself, and never hesitate, to reach out.
Duke: Okay, I got a quick follow up on that. Let's say I'm new or new-ish to the space. Maybe it's my first taste of freelancing. , And you are obviously seeing and talking to. scads of candidates. How do I jump off the page to somebody like you? Like what about my resume or my first opening letter or my first conversation, amplifies my success with you, the recruiter.
Stephie: great question. I think. a resume that is concise. a page and a half, two pages max is so important because reading, I'm reading so many daily, so keep it simple, ?. You don't need everything you've ever done put into your resume. You've got to leave something to the conversation. being open to conversation, being, communicative, answering questions with more than, one word or one sentence. Elaborating, explaining yourself who you are, the work you've done, what excites you. that's what gets me. , Be yourself. Be a real person, be a human. don't, answer the questions robotically. I wanna know who you are. what makes you excited about ServiceNow? Why you decided to join ServiceNow. where you see your career going, what drives you. Those are so, such important questions when getting to know a candidate. , So I would say. Keep your resume simple. Leave something to the imagination and something to be discussed. , And then, elaborate. don't keep your answers when you're in a conversation. Simple. I wanna know it all in those moments. I.
CJ: those are really, really good tips. and as you were talking, Steph, I didn't think about how many of those did I actively, deploy, just subconsciously. Just, keep my resume simple. , I'm pretty bad at that, but I've gotten better at working with you and so now I have, a number of different resumes, that, you know, are catered towards whatever the client might be looking for. 'cause I do have a vast amount of experience and it all won't fit. Anything short of ebook. but then nobody wants to read that, they care if, I can do what they need me to do and if I have relevant experience for that. And then personality, I, I am who I am and I've never had success in disguising my personality when I ever tried to do it. And so now it's a lot more like I show up and you either like me or you don't. ? And if you don't like me, then at least now we both know that and we can move on. And if you do great, least now that we have a, common point because I like me too, and. And you know, and you go from there. But I think there are far too many people who think, just talking with a recruiter means that they have to put on this mask. Right. And, and that they have to disguise who they are and that they don't have to, and that things, um, yeah. And
Duke: Well, they have to stress about knowing everything, right?
CJ: Yeah. Yeah.
Duke: it's, it's, it's a big tool now, and so every year the tool survives And thrives and expands the idea that you could know. It all just becomes , even more absurd.
Stephie: Right. And I think that that's a, a really important point too, that you're making. There is no one that's gonna know it all. Maybe to some degree They might understand, but there's nobody that's gonna know ServiceNow. It's in, in its entirety anymore. It's important to, , to be able to admit. When there's something that you're, it's not your strongest, and that's okay. , I'm not expecting anyone to know it all because I certainly don't. And being able to admit that, is so strong. It's something that really stands out. Eh, that's not my strongest point. Right. Not the best there. That's okay. We'll find something that you are the best in. Right.
Duke: even the Apex certification in the environment, CMAs and CTAs, right? Like if you look at the prerequisites for them, they don't even have to have half of the CIS certs,
CJ: Right,
Duke: you know what I mean? And they're the ones getting the, like the master architect thing. It's too big an ecosystem, so , yeah, you're gonna get stung up on a question or two, another note on that brevity thing. Even if Stephanie wanted you to be the one, she hasn't got this position filled and it's 4 38 and she's got three more resumes to go. She is praying, that the next resume is the last one she has to read, right? you don't wanna have to go through, you want to pick up the the last resume and know this is the one, and that's why you have to be brief.
Stephie: Yeah. Being brief is important, right? but I will be the first person to tell you, there is nothing that matters more than getting on a call with me. Your resume is great. It's a great jumping off point, but our conversation and our communication in a call, that's everything. and I'm gonna get everything I need to know out of that call your personality where I think you'd be a great fit. there's sometimes just, personality conflicts on projects, right? And that's okay. I just need to know where you stand and, get to know you a little bit. So a resume is good, ? A conversation is everything.
CJ: Steph, do you ever have a conversation with someone who you think slash know is technically proficient at the opportunity that you're presenting, but after you speak to them, think there's no way in hell that you would be able a good fit working with this client? I.
Stephie: Yeah. I mean, it, happens often. , I talk to people and I'm like, they could do the job. Are they going to make an impact?
CJ: Yes.
Stephie: could do it, they could complete it, but are they gonna make the impact that I want them to, or that I'm looking, or that they would want to, or the client is looking for? And, that's that personality side of things. That's, like I said, my resume's great personality is everything. There's of course the technical meat is great. But that personality gravy on top, that's everything. and working with people that want to make an impact that are motivated and ambitious. I can't get that from a resume. That's something that only comes in a conversation. I.
CJ: Yeah, I think that's important to highlight, personality matters and being yourself matters because ultimately, it's in everyone's best interest for the right client to end up with the right on the right project so that it can be successful. And if you disguise who you are, , then you might end up on a wrong project for you, as the resource, right. I could end up on a, a project that. I don't want to be on because I let you to, think that I was outgoing and this is a sales engineer project and I really don't like talking.
Stephie: Right, right. Exactly. I mean, it's, it's just important to just really, be true to you.
CJ: Yeah.
Duke: All right, Stephanie. So, apparently you are on the market now, correct?
Stephie: I am on the market. I am super excited for my next opportunity. I'm really looking forward to,, seeing where I land.
Duke: so what's the perfect position for you?
Stephie: the perfect position for me is one where I get to work with clients. and understand their needs and work with candidates. , I truly loved , my previous role where I was, , connecting the two and helping people achieve things. Not just, the candidates achieving their career goals, but also the clients achieving their project goals. And, , being a part of that was just, magic for me. And, I'm really passionate about it and I'm really passionate about bringing the right people to my clients, , and making sure it all works, it's my favorite part of my, my job. So some, somewhere with that where I could land a, it's with something like that. , That's really what I'm looking for.
CJ: I'm honestly surprised that you're on the market. , I wish I was interested in growing beyond being the, one man show that I am because you'd already have an offer.
Stephie: Thanks.
Duke: me about it. Okay folks, this has been Stephanie Fairbanks on CJ and the Duke. If you need somebody who can thread that needle, get the right resource on the right job every single time, Corey and I wholeheartedly endorse Stephanie. She's one of the best in the game, and she's got a massive ready to leverage network just waiting for you. Her contact information is going to be in the description below. Everybody take a shot, act fast. She's not gonna be on the market for long.
CJ: Absolutely. Stephanie, it was great having you on the show. I can't believe we haven't done this before. maybe you were ducking us. I don't know,
Stephie: That's laying low. That's laying low.
CJ: but no, this was, amazing and well overdue. Thanks for coming on. I.
Stephie: Yes. Thank you so much, both of you. , I can't express my appreciation for each of you enough. Thank you.
Duke: No problem. We'll see you on the next one, everyone.