KURT: Having a fair amount of persistence goes a really long way. And it's one of those things, yeah, you don't have to be the smartest person in the world, but you do need a fair amount of grit, as they would say, or persistence, just because it can be a long and hard road.
TREVOR: Hello and welcome to the Founder's Shares podcast brought to you by Hutchison, a law firm in Raleigh, North Carolina that helps founders and entrepreneurs in technology and life science companies start up, operate, get funded and exit. So whether you're already an entrepreneur or want to be one someday, or are just fascinated by the stories of how a business goes from idea to success, or not such a success, this podcast is for you. Today's guest is Kurt Sysok. Co-founder and CEO of Radformation. That formation provides a suite of radiation oncology workflow automation solutions that save time, eliminate planning errors, and enable oncologists to design optimal treatment plans for their patients. Kurt was a medical physicist by trade, which means he worked behind the scenes to put plans together for treating radiation oncology patients. What he noticed while he was trying to come up with the right radiation treatment formulas for each patient was that much of his work was manual, where he felt it could have been more automated.
KURT: I was working in the clinic for many years and I just thought things could be more streamlined. How do we reduce errors, better quality plans that we put together for these patients? Ultimately, how do we do things as efficiently as possible was one of the main things I always thought about. Then it got to the point where I kept thinking about it all the time. Yeah, there's this whole thing, it's like, if you can't let it go, then it's probably a good sign. You should probably go do something about it. For me, that was kind of the, okay, maybe it's time to actually go start a company around this.
TREVOR: Hurt found two other radiation oncology medical physicists, Liz Van Wee and Alan Nelson, and together in 2014, they formed a company together to solve this problem. Gradformation, which as we'll hear later has raised millions in funding and has over 100 employees, actually was a side hustle for quite a while. Back then, Kurt was at his job all day and then would code at night. Finding new clients was often a challenge. Visibility was somewhat limited and resources were constrained. However, as they persevered and grew through word of mouth, that side hustle turned into a full-time gig and Kurt quit his job on January 1st, 2016.
KURT: And so in the early days, it's just trying to. Talk with people to let them know you're there. And then as you grow and more and more people hear about you, now a lot of people, at least in the US, kind of know about us. The majority of our customers are in the US. So then it kind of makes it a bit easier just because you have more brand recognition. So it's less like, oh, who are you? You're this tiny company. You're going to be around in a year. Oh, okay. Yeah, you're going to be around. Show me what you have there. But yeah, I mean, it just, you know, one year at a time just kind of keeps growing and growing and growing. And yeah, and then as you bring on more people right now, you could have more outreach, right, to all the clinics that don't know about you. So, you know, it kind of every year builds on itself, right, as we were adding headcount. I mean, because every year we kept hiring, hiring, hiring, hiring as we kept growing, growing, growing.
TREVOR: So a question of kind of on that side of things, you know, as you are thinking about allocating resources to the folks that you're going to hire. Do you hire dev teams first or sales teams first or kind of grow them equally as you went along? How did you think about that as you were building the company out?
KURT: It was kind of interesting, you know, from day one, we kind of had this aggressive roadmap, and it's taking us a really long time to kind of build it out. Like, we're still literally in phase one of what we wanted to build like seven years ago, and we're just... We're still not even there yet. It'll be like another year or two, and then we'll finally kind of have all those things built out. We have eight different kind of software modules right now. And so we always had these like, There's never a shortage of ideas of what we wanted to build. It was just more of the talent to go through and build these things. We just hired on all fronts. We small-chunked the products. We launched this thing called ClearTech and this thing called EasyFluence. We launched them as separate products. Then over time, we know we would continue hiring engineers and build these other products that would come after them. Then ultimately, you end up with this. Ideally, we would have just built everything all up front, but we just didn't have resources. You end up having all these different software modules that are built over time as we've continued to hire on the developer front. And then on the sales front, we kind of do the same thing where we've kind of continued to build the sales team and then we're always building new products. And so they're always bringing those into the mix with the other products that they're already current selling, you know, into different clinics and whatnot. And so then eventually as you get big, you know, it's kind of a mix where some clinics have none of your products and then other clinics have one or two or three of your products, and now you're kind of selling additional products, you know, down into the current base.
TREVOR: Yeah, talk a little bit about that, because as you move into the healthcare space or as you're working with these clinics, there can be a lot of different steps and different hurdles you gotta get to even get in there. So talk a little bit about some of the challenges in working with large healthcare institutions or working with clinics.
KURT: Yeah, it's one of those things that I think it's kind of unfortunate more folks don't kind of do startups in the healthcare space. I mean, a lot of people are, which is good, but it is challenging both from a regulatory front, right? Because there's all sorts of challenges there. And then two, just from how long sales cycles could be or like going through IT review or contract review. These could be very long processes, right? So if you're trying to, if you're a startup, right, trying to like bring in revenue and it takes like 12 months just to kind of by the time you first started with somebody before you actually the invoice goes out or you can have these long sales cycles in there. I mean, it's just part of selling into hospitals. You know, it's just kind of how it how it ends up working.
TREVOR: And did you expect that going into it since you were kind of coming out of some of these institutions yourself or was that a surprise to you?
KURT: I was super naive, which I think ended up working out well in my favor. I think with startups in general, it's kind of good because if you realize how hard it is, then you're like, I don't know if I want to do this. But then you're kind of oblivious to all that and you're like, just gung-ho and let's go do this thing. And then you're like, oh yeah, this is really hard. And so I had known loosely of how going purchasing software worked in clinics having been in the clinic. You know, not to the detail, right? That I know now.
TREVOR: In a different way, but kind of a similar experience of some of the challenges and regulations and all of that. What's been your experience kind of moving outside the United States into these other countries? Has that been a big hurdle for the company or how would you experience that?
KURT: Yeah, it's just relearning everything, right? In terms of like, well, I mean, obviously, the regulations kind of are slightly different. Some are similar, other have additional things or different things. So yeah, there's a whole regulatory component behind it. And then each market is different. I mean, ultimately... Cancer as a whole is treated very similarly, but yeah, there's certain aspects that might be emphasized in different markets versus others. And so then as you think about features or product roadmaps, it's like, how do you take those into account to kind of... Handle all these different sites, you know, just not kind of, I'm used to operating a certain way, working in the U S right versus other places.
TREVOR: So at what point did you decide that you were ready to move outside the US? And tell me a little bit about the thinking about, yeah, taking on that challenge rather than just staying on your home turf and working things out here.
KURT: Yeah, it's tough, you know, because it's something that, you know, a lot of companies face, you know, at what point, and it's always a tough point because like, you know, it's a resource allocation, you know, thing where, you know, do you... Spend more resources here versus going into a new market. And so we had got to a point of growth where for us it made sense, but it's definitely a super difficult thing. As you continue to expand into new markets.
TREVOR: Anything about that process surprise you or memorable through that process?
KURT: Again, I guess more... Back to. Yeah, I mean, you're like, oh, how much different could it be than like this one? Then some things are quite different. Right. And so. But I guess, you know, that should be like super surprising, but. Again, in general, I mean, I don't know. I think... I think part of the... Thing that I... Didn't quite realize, which again, sounds a bit negative, you know, as for like a startup side is like things never really get easier. Right. They only like you keep leveling up your skills, right? And you just kind of level up and then the company levels up and then there's like new challenges that were just as hard as like, you know, how challenges were in the past. Yeah, so it's kind of, you know, always been my experience. Yeah. And, you know, so it's only what you just kind of keep leveling up, right? You keep learning, you keep figuring things out. And it's just kind of how it is. Yeah. Well, it's good that you said
TREVOR: the thing that drew you in was that problem solving aspect, because you're always going to have those problems to solve.
KURT: I think for anybody looking to start a company, there's two things. Just have that growth mindset. You want to continue to learn because there's just so much to learn and then just new problems to solve. Having a fair amount of persistence goes a really long way. And it's kind of one of those things, yeah, you don't have to be the smartest person in the world, but you do need a fair amount of grit, as they would say, or persistence just because it can be a long and hard road. I mean, there's plenty of great moments and stuff, but there's a lot of, it can be rough at certain times. But yeah, you just keep going.
TREVOR: And in those rough times, are you finding, is the team at Radformation a good support for that? Do you have other CEOs that you can lean on to again, find some support for that? Or how do you find that grit to keep going on?
KURT: Yeah, I don't know, you know, I think it comes back to, for me, the mission, you know, it's like, why do we start this in the first place? And so, you know, always kind of like anchoring back to like, that's why we're doing this. And so I think that kind of helps. In the long run of things where, yep, this is going to be hard and that's fine, right? Because we're on this mission to kind of help all these clinics and it's just kind of how it's going to be. And so kind of just coming to peace with that. And then obviously, having a great team, you need a great team. On so many aspects, right? Just to be able to execute and support each other and just, you know, kind of keep going. But I think that's one of like the biggest inhibitors as companies continue to grow is the talent of the team, right? As you grow it's like. Just more and more people and you're just, you know, the summation of kind of, you know, the whole entity and that's going to dictate, you know, how, you know, how well you're going to be able to execute and continue, you know, on your mission. So. Yeah, the team's super critical.
TREVOR: Well, tell me a little bit about that. How big is the team at Radformation now?
KURT: Yeah, so we're just over 100 employees now.
TREVOR: Wow, okay.
KURT: And in my right-hand way, it has that from the three. Yeah.
TREVOR: Three to 100. So tell me, if I recall correctly, you guys work as a distributed team. You're not kind of all in one location. Is that right?
KURT: Yeah, yeah, that's what we like to say. Yeah, we were doing, you know, remote work before it was cool, you know, before everybody else. And, uh, yeah, we were always a remote team. So Alan, even in the founding days, you know, Liz and I were in New York city and Alan was in Boise, Idaho. And yeah, so it's. It has its pluses and its minuses. The pluses are you can instantly just hop on a meeting with anybody. You can recruit talent from any... Geographically, sometimes I don't want to move to this region. And in the early days, it was super nice from a competitive advantage of being able to hire talent. Now a lot of folks allow remote, so that's not as much anymore. But yeah, but then there's obviously communication challenges. There's also challenges with people building a rapport. There's something about face-to-face, in-person that helps you build this rapport with other individuals. So actually, we do once a year, we get everybody together in person. And the goal of that is, how do we build up some of this rapport with others? Then when we go back to the virtual world, how do we take that rapport with us into the digital side?
TREVOR: And on those yearly get togethers, is it business meetings? Are they kind of team building? I mean, how do you build that rapport even in a short period of time?
KURT: Yeah, so we kind of like split it. So we'll do some kind of like business side of things. And then, but yeah, a lot of like just team having fun stuff. Because we can do a lot of these business meetings kind of remotely and kind of talk through that. But I mean, but there are good things to like brainstorm and whiteboard, you know, with everybody in like the same room together. But yeah, there's just kind of all that team building, having fun together, doing fun activities is something that you quite can't do. Yeah, we do virtual happy hours as well, and those are fun, but it's not quite the same as everyone being together.
TREVOR: There's still something missing when you can't just be right next to somebody.
KURT: Yeah.
TREVOR: In your experience, have things shifted with teammates, kind of on the remote post pandemic? Do you find that the new hires that you have coming into the company have different expectations or different perspectives on remote workers that remained relatively consistent across your experience with it?
KURT: No, I think a lot of it's kind of remained consistent. Yeah, I think. Because some people were already kind of used to remote. But others... It's a transition because we hire a fair amount of folks. Out of Earth. Out of the clinic. And so. Some of them were kind of doing hybrid. Environments, but some of them might have just been in the clinic, you know, five days a week. So now it's actually a switch going to like a full remote, where it's like, Hey, I haven't left my house all day or my apartment all day. Like, I should probably go outside for a little bit. So, you know, you can kind of fall into those traps. And I think, yeah, with, you know, when you're kind of doing the remote thing.
TREVOR: Yeah, any other thoughts on kind of managing that remote team that you found to be effective aside from kind of those getting together on a yearly basis for the building rapport and other thoughts on how you manage that group?
KURT: Yeah, no, I mean, yeah, really it comes down to communication. Right. And so. We use a bunch of tools, right? And so there's a variety of digital tools out there for folks to collaborate with, project manage with. And so. Kind of getting a good cadence with those things, I find. Kind of helps with just kind of keeping everybody on the same page and moving in the same direction.
TREVOR: That's great. So Radformation announced earlier this year that it took on a strategic investment from BVP Forge. So I wanted to ask you to how was that process? How did you find the whole fundraising process and then closing on the deal? What was that like for you?
KURT: Yeah, yeah, no, that was definitely a big shift for us. And so, yeah, kind of the backstory there, we had been growing and kind of everything was going good on that front. But again, there's just new problems that just kind of, I think happened to all companies at all stages, right? And so, right as you go from this level to the next level, to the next level, to the next level. And so, we had gotten to a point where, we were looking for a great partner to kind of act as that kind of mentor and kind of coach and just strategic advisor on a lot of these things that a lot of companies kind of go through. And so, yeah, we talked with, and so that was kind of like one of the big reasons to do that round. And so, yeah, we talked with a variety of different groups, which is always tough. It's always hard to like feel out like, what's the interaction gonna be like on a... Day to day, week to week, month to month, with this new partner. And so, luckily, yeah, we just hit it off with the Forge team. And we had, I think, we shared a lot of the same mindset of like where we wanna go and... Kind of the problems we're going to face. And yeah, we felt they were really well positioned to kind of help us with our particular problems that we're going to have, you know, growing wise. And so, yeah, and it's been, you know, great ever since closing with them. And so. Yeah, so I think they'll. You know, help us tremendously as we continue to grow.
TREVOR: That's great. I mean, and then how much, it sounds like a lot of it has to do with that connection with the team, but how much of it? To make that final decision is personality based, kind of that experience with them and how much of it is based off of either their network or the other companies that they are working with or other success that they have. Kind of when you come down to make that final decision, how do you weight those different factors?
KURT: Yeah, a lot of it for us particularly, yeah, was the direct team we're gonna be working with. And obviously tapping into a deeper network is always, there's a lot of pluses on that side too, but who are we gonna be interacting most with and what's their skill set and how's the interaction gonna go for the problems that we're facing? And then, okay, if something needs escalated or has to go to part of the network, how deep is the network to kind of help us on all upfront? And BVP Forge has it on all fronts, right? Cause like the people we directly interact with are great, but then they're actually kind of associated with the venture side, Bessemer. And so they have like this huge network that you could tap into as well.
TREVOR: So any advice you could offer to other founders seeking funding and or the kind of the process of getting that funding closed?
KURT: Yeah, funding is always a tricky thing, unless you're doing AI large language models now. And then I think they'll just hand it out, right? All right, they just sign here. And so, yeah, I think there's two sides. I mean, there's always, especially in the early or wherever you're at with burn and whatnot, there's always some financial side. But like, I don't know. Yeah, I guess. I would think long about the partnership in terms of what are these individuals going to be able to bring to the table? You know, from a skill standpoint where. You know, I have this problem. You know, you know, can I talk to them to like help me, you know, work through it versus somebody just being a check. And so I think that's something that you know, founders, I think, you know, I think the problem is, you know, farmers always get hung up, especially if you're like, burning money, and you know, you need to do a raisin. It's like, I just need to, you know, clear payroll here. So, but anyway, yeah, there's, there's a lot to I think, to be had to kind of thinking through. The challenges you're facing and how can this group help me through those challenges on that front.
TREVOR: Sure. That makes a lot of sense. So tell me a little bit about what are some of the goals that you hope to accomplish with this investment? How do you plan on using some of the funds that you brought in?
KURT: Yeah, I mean, ultimately it all comes back to our original mission, right? We're on this growth mission to help as many clinics as we can. And we just see this as something to accelerate that mission, right? And from a hiring standpoint of continuing to kind of hire and bring on the talent, right? That we need to support all these, you know, current products and new products and new features, and then all of our current clinics and new clinics we're going to bring on and then just kind of help with a lot of, you know, the growing pains of, you know, as the company goes, you know, now to just over a hundred employees, right? To, you know, beyond that, right? And kind of working through kind of all those org challenges as you continue to scale up and increase your head count.
TREVOR: So I think you mentioned earlier on that you're still within phase one of your roadmap. And you said early on,
KURT: it's taking a lot longer than I anticipated. It's funny looking back at like old decks and stuff at like how fast I thought we'd be able to kind of build everything out. And so we're almost there.
TREVOR: Okay. And so how many, how many phases are there? I mean, is that phase one and two or we got eight phases to come?
KURT: Well, no, no. Yeah. Well, I think there will be this, we have no shortages of ideas for things to build, just the shortages of resources. And then, you know, we are prioritizing certain things over others. So I think now we'll kind of have this original arc of what we wanted to kind of build through. And then we'll be able to start building of some of these newer things that we've been thinking about, but just didn't have time or resources to kind of work on.
TREVOR: Yeah. Well, talk to me a little bit about that. How are you seeing changes in technology affecting reformation and what you think is really kind of capable in the next few years? Are you seeing kind of big... Moves in the industry that are going to impact you, or is it not quite caught up to your field yet?
KURT: Yeah, I think, you know, I don't know, you know, general tech, you know, is obviously a bit further ahead of, you know, maybe like healthcare side of things, but I don't know, I think people just kind of seen the power of LLMs. And so, you know, like that's just. Something that's like, oh wow, this thing could be pretty useful, right, for helping individuals. So, I don't know. Yeah, so for us, we just kind of look at... What are it all comes back to like what are the specific pain points right in the clinics and then you kind of work backwards from there of like what could a potential solution look like and Yeah, and then kind of like what kind of tools could be useful. We do AI, but in the auto-contouring side of things, right? For being able to identify where... Organs, more lymph node chains, right, are on a CT scan or an MR. And so, so I think AI will continue. To apply to healthcare and arts fields specifically and different sectors kind of moving forward in addition to like other tools that others can build.
TREVOR: So what's one aspect of your job that people don't really appreciate or that you wish you knew was going to be part of the job earlier on?
KURT: Yeah, I don't know. It's kind of unique, I don't know, kind of in that CEO seat, because you kind of have this vision and you kind of see into all departments. But I think as you continue to grow, that communication thing is difficult, just kind of keeping everybody on track and we're all headed in a similar direction. And so that's something we're always trying to get better at on that front. But I mean, I don't know, ultimately, it's a very rewarding job. Again, I don't think you anticipate how hard it's going to be in the early days, but that's okay. It's just, I don't know, just again, back to why are we doing this? What's the mission? And kind of re-centering on that and to keep going in that direction.
TREVOR: And you talked about the kind of your why for doing this quite a bit and they have that vision and have that goal kind of cemented in your focus. Are you seeing stories coming out of these clinics? Are you getting kind of feedback from the folks that you're working with that helps you to tangibly feel like, yeah, we are making an impact. We are making a dent in this problem.
KURT: Oh yeah, yeah, we get tons of feedback from our users. Yeah, we love, you know, kind of talking with users, you know, in remote fashions like this and seeing people in person at, you know, trade shows or on site. And again, yeah, I think. That's something as we continue to grow, how do we incorporate all this feedback into the products and the evolution of what we're putting out there. But I think it's... Something that's critical, right? I mean, you know, they're the ones, you know, on the front lines kind of, you know, day in and day out doing this work in the clinic. And so ultimately, you know, we should be listening very closely to them to, you know, how do we make their lives easier? You know, it's just, I mean, it's challenging as you continue to grow, because then you have You know, so many sites and how do we? Aggregate and collect all this information in a useful way and then prioritize things where somebody may want this feature or maybe somebody else wants this other feature. And so, but that's all just kind of part of the organization. How do we kind of organize and collect and execute on all this data?
TREVOR: And has it been easier for you since you've kind of had that medical physicist background to have these conversations and be able to kind of talk, to talk with the folks that you're in the room with or tell me a little bit about that?
KURT: Yeah, I think it's kind of helped a lot, you know, because you can kind of, you know, imagine what it's like, you know, being in their shoes. And also, I think the thing that's hardest is like, now I've been out of the clinic seven years, you know, and so, you know, so what I think about is like, you know, am I losing touch, right with what's going on? And how do you, you know, minimize that? Cause to me that would kind of be the ultimate travesty, right? If you like. Ultimately kind of lose touch with like kind of what's going on in the clinic and you know,
TREVOR: how do you prevent that? Do you miss any aspect of actually being in the clinic?
KURT: I do. I mean, I don't know. I mean, I much prefer kind of, you know, how things have kind of worked out and So, I mean, it's all good, you know, in the end, but yeah, I think there was, you know, nice aspects of kind of, you know, being there and, you know, kind of seeing patients, right? Not that, you know, physicists don't see like a ton of patients, they're more behind the scenes, but I think it's just easier to kind of understand the impact that you're having, because it's like, it's more, it's more tangible, right? It's like right there. You know, it's, I don't know, it's a little bit more abstract to be like, what does 1500 clinics using our software mean? You know, it means something, right? You know, that like, you know, a lot of people, you know, must really like this software and there's, you know, a lot of value we're generating, but it's not as, I don't know, you know, it's just a bit different, right? And I know what it means, right? You know, I was in the clinic, right? As far as like, you know, I can imagine like, you know, how all these things could be used, right? All these different software products would be used, you know, generate value for clinics,
TREVOR: but it's just a bit more abstract. Right. So what are your biggest areas of concern for the company here in the next 12 to 36 months? What keeps you up at night?
KURT: I think it's just, again, all the growing pains. Make sure we're not losing touch with the customers and make sure we're listening to feedback and executing on it. And just the communication throughout the organization to make sure we're all headed in the same direction and executing on that. There are just tons of growing pains. You can go into any department. There are just things that My. We just need to keep. Continuing to improve and tackle.
TREVOR: And it sounds like there's lots of opportunities, but what do you see as kind of the biggest opportunities for the company in the next couple of years?
KURT: Yeah, so to kind of finish out phase one here, you know, will be one thing, but ultimately everything will kind of still revolve around this, you know, automation, you know, streamlining things for the clinic and reducing errors and better quality plans. So it'll still kind of follow all these similar arcs that we've been on, you know, but right, what's a, what are product features or different products to kind of go about different aspects of what's going on in the clinic to tackle those subjects.
TREVOR: Got it. So we are the Founder Shares podcast, and so I always like to ask our guests, you know, if there was one piece of advice that you wanted to share with a new founder or someone who wants to be a founder one day, what would that advice be?
KURT: Yeah, yeah, I think I would say, you know, again, if there's some problem that you can't stop thinking about, like, just go do it, you know, just go start that company. So at least you'll stop thinking about it then. Or actually, you'll be thinking about it quite a lot. But then you'll kind of be, you know, all in on that idea. And Yeah, and again, I would say, yeah, just. I don't know how you can like... Build up your persistence, your grit quota? How do you improve your grit capacity? But yeah, I don't know. I would just say, you know, just... There's going to be ups and downs, right? Obviously, you want to celebrate the ups, but it's fine, right? Just accept that there are going to be ups and downs and have this, okay, we're on this mission. We're doing this for this specific reason and we're just going to keep going. And really trying to, because it mentally can be pretty tough as you continue to grow, you know, these are all. There's just a lot of challenges that you'll run into. So anything you can do to just build up your persistence will be very helpful.
TREVOR: Yeah, well, and I do think you've hit on it a couple of times, but having that kind of founding purpose or that founding mission of why you're doing it, sometimes I think that is so critical to having that persistence to keep going on.
KURT: Yeah, it definitely can help because you can always anchor back to something like that. Yeah, I think there's other ways you can kind of go about just like. Building this capacity to take on a lot. So anyway, so there's a whole set of tools for like... I don't know, you know, stress reduction and, you know, kind of being healthy and, you know, being able to. Kind of do that. I recommend people kind of using those tools or kind of building up that tool set to be able to take on these more and more challenging things because it can be quite stressful. So how do I orient things in my personal life to kind of help me deal with all these challenges that I know I'm going to be having on this professional side of things?
TREVOR: I think that's interesting because you've talked about leveling up kind of the skill set as you've gone along and it's not just leveling up your experience of running the business but it's these other things that you're talking about. The ability to take on the stress, the ability to kind of roll with the punches as new problems kind of come in. Those things are also skills that have to be leveled up.
KURT: That's kind of interesting. That is something I did not think at all about in the beginning, but it's something I think a lot about now, just because I've seen other founders just... At a certain point, I don't know, yeah, you get so beat down. You just can't keep going. And yeah, I mean, it's really tough. So, and, you know, I mean, it's just kind of one of those, it's just a really hard thing, right? And so, if you can, right, kind of do things, you know, in your personal life to, right, reduce stress, kind of, you know, give you energy, you know, kind of just this general healthy lifestyle, it'll be able, you'll be able to kind of take more of that beating. Which it's a bit sad to think about it that way, but like. Yeah, I mean, if you can kind of build these other tools, you know, it's quite surprising how much you can suffer. Well, on that note of encouragement,
TREVOR: I think we will wrap this up. But I do think it's real, it's true, to kind of talk through that, but it also is important to realize you can get through it and provide that encouragement.
KURT: Yeah, yeah, again, you know, it's not like. That bad. But like, yeah, there's anyway, I'm just saying, yeah, there's a tool set that you can build that can just help with like, Because that's what I think stress can really be a bummer. It just can weigh you down and run you down pretty good. So anyway, just how do you stay healthy mentally, physically, so you can keep going is something I didn't think about at all in the beginning. But as the years start to add up, you're like, oh, yeah, I got to take care of this. In the beginning, you're just mad dash. And then you're like, yeah, I can't. Go all night and all day anymore. I need to, what's a good pace and what's a reasonable pace, but that's still like. You know, pushing the edge as much as I can and then... And again, you're expanding your capacity to be able to kind of, you know, stay healthy and kind of get all the work done that needs to get done. And so building up that tool set.
TREVOR: So do you have a go-to activity to stay healthy and stay fit?
KURT: Yeah, I got a whole variety of things. But like, I don't know, I would say eating healthy, you know, is a big thing. Getting sleep. I don't know. I think when Matthew Walker's book, you know, why we sleep came out, it was like a big eye opener because I had always been like, oh, just not sleep that much. Just code all night. I was like, oh man, the sleep things like pretty important. And so so anyway, so yeah, there's kind of the. You know, the, and then obviously exercise, you know, kind of. Both cardiovascular and, you know, kind of lifting weights and stuff. But then I don't know, I, I personally find that like steamer sauna kind of has, you know, a very nice like stress reduction aspect to it. And so, um, you know, kind of doing those activities as well.
TREVOR: That's great. I really appreciate the conversation. I've enjoyed talking through these things with you and, Kurt, I appreciate you coming on. If people want to learn more about the company, what's the best way they can find you?
KURT: Yeah, absolutely. So they can go to radformation.com and all the information's on there. Awesome.
TREVOR: Well, I can't wait to see where the company goes in the next few years and just enjoying watching the ride.
KURT: All right, thanks Trevor.
TREVOR: Thanks Kurt. That was Kurt Sysock, co-founder and CEO of Radformation. You can learn more about Radformation at radformation.com. That's R-A-D-F-O-R-M-A-T-I-O-N.
KURT: Dot com.
TREVOR: Thanks for listening to this episode of the Founder's Shares podcast. If you're a founder or business owner and need legal advice, be sure to check out our team at hutchlaw.com. That's hutchlaw.com. We have the capacity to help you out with just about any legal need your company may be facing. We're passionate about the innovation economy and ready to help you on your entrepreneurial journey. The show was edited and produced by EarFluence. I'm Trevor Schmidt, and thanks for listening to the Founder's Shares Podcast.