Michael: Hello and welcome to Postgres.FM, a weekly show about all things PostgreSQL. I am Michael, founder of pgMustard, and I'm joined by Nik, as usual, from Postgres.AI. Hey Nik, how's it going?
Nikolay: Everything is fantastic. How are you, Michael?
Michael: Yeah, good. Good also. What are we talking about this week?
Nikolay: So today, this week, we are talking about let's move out of RDS or put your own managed Postgres name there. And how?
Michael: Yeah, so you mentioned how to move off RDS but I was going to ask how specific you wanted to be to, well because there's even multiple flavors of RDS in terms, even Postgres compatible.
Nikolay: Yeah, it's great And we have a lot of managed service providers and that's super good. They have all of them have their pros and cons. Some of them are already dead. We must say like, and you know, there's a saying like A human can be not only can be that can be suddenly that and this is true about this is from Russian literature
Michael: Okay, okay,
Nikolay: Bulgakov. The Master and Margarita. So managed Postgres service can be suddenly dead also And we know several examples and what annoys me is how they provide very short notice sometimes. I don't expect this from RDS, but who knows?
Michael: Right? No, definitely not.
Nikolay: RDS is huge, right? But we know Google can kill services. Not with 30 days short notice, right, or 2 weeks. But among recent examples, I remember Bit.io, which was an interesting idea, drop CSV file and it gives you Postgres and you can start querying. I remember, I think Tembo is a recent example, right?
Michael: Yeah, but how much notice are they giving?
Nikolay: Bit.io gave, I think 30 day notice only.
Michael: It's not,
Nikolay: it's not, it's not all right for databases. We know how difficult it is to do any action. If you exceed, for example, 1 terabyte and it's already like significant size when you, any move you need to plan carefully and practice and test and then perform. Yeah, well, Tembo, right? Tembo, I think they completely pivoted to different area and also PostgresML is a new example. And, but PostgresML, I think 1 of the founders is PgCat. He was here long ago.
Michael: Yeah, Lev.
Nikolay: Right. But PostgresML is closed, but others as well. Right. So I think it's, it happens. So 1 of the reasons to migrate out is lack of control. I think, if we already discussed reasons, do we?
Michael: Yeah, let's do it a little bit. I hear people talking a little bit about costs, but I think the ones I see more often seem to be yeah low-level access extensions like if you've got a specific extension you want supported you might migrate I guess sometimes between providers rather than off but yeah migrating off it also could include migrating on to a different 1
Nikolay: yeah yeah definitely because some of them are much more open some of them not many but some crunchy right crunchy bridge
Michael: yeah or some support different except like Maybe the extension you want is on 1 managed service but not another.
Nikolay: You want TimescaleDB or you need to migrate to Timescale Cloud?
Michael: Or even I think I saw a conversation you were having that is it PL/Proxy?
Nikolay: Oh, Citus. Yeah. Because how the Citus is working there, this is my theory. That's why PGQ and SkyTools are there basically, right? So and PL/Proxy as well. So yeah, well, and all others only have, not actually all others, RDS doesn't have even PgBouncer, which also originated from Skype 20, almost 20 years ago.
Michael: I didn't know that.
Nikolay: Yeah, PgBouncer is the most popular product created inside Skype 20 years ago. Others are PGQ, Londiste and PL/Proxy. I think there are more, but these I used and remember very well.
Michael: Nice.
Nikolay: So yeah, if we talk about reasons, There are many reasons. For me, inside me, and the services are different. Some of them are open,
Michael: some of
Nikolay: them are fully based on open source, which is great, like Supabase, and we're not strictly based on open source, and this is great. Some of them provide super user like Citus or access to physical backups. It's, it's miracle among managed Postgres providers, but most of them are telling you, we are protecting you give us almost twice more money and we will limit your access to your own things. And we will take care of backups and failover, HA and DR, and some other features. And all of these features are very good established already in open source ecosystem. So I think anger lives inside me and grows towards managed service providers because I think first of all they make money, much more money than they should on open source, not contributing back enough. Not everyone, but many. But most problem is I think, I truly believe they stole the openness from us, the open source which we loved, always comparing to SQL Server, Oracle, or Linux versus Microsoft Windows. Those guys who create managed service providers, among them are great engineers, and I admire and have huge respect to many of them. But at grand schema, this is new like Oracle and vendor lock-in and closed everything and bad processes, inability to fix problems, understand what's happening and so on. All things which open source intended to solve. Like, for example, you have... Like, why I stopped using Oracle 8i in 2000? Because I spent 3 days trying to fix something. It worked on 1 machine and didn't work at our client machine. And then I read somewhere, OK, internet already was a thing. I read somewhere that if host name has a closing parenthesis, then Oracle cannot connect. You cannot connect to Oracle. And no errors, nothing. And I eventually switched to open source where such kind of problems you can troubleshoot easily. Like if you have advanced skills. And many people, they are not dumb, like many people are quite smart and can learn how to use Pure or Solve and troubleshoot. But managed service providers stole this openness and ability to see what's happening. And they just packaged open source in the form of service, charged a lot of money, and also closed important features like access to physical backups or ability to physically physical replication connection basically implementing vendor lock-in.
Michael: So well but they didn't steal it right it's It's licensed that way deliberately to be very permissive Postgres. So there's a...
Nikolay: It's Postgres, right? It's open source. It's the same as Postgres. We almost didn't change it. We use it as it is. It's Postgres. And it's like enterprise level.
Michael: To call it, you mean, you mean it's the calling it Postgres is what you're...
Nikolay: Yeah, they call it Postgres and Postgres popularity. Actually, it's a two-sided question, because I also think RDS contributed to the rise of Postgres popularity around 2015. I think JSON was a big contributor, but if you check carefully, RDS probably was a bigger contributor to the growth of Postgres popularity, because everyone hated installing Postgres. This is true. But things are changing. It's much much easier these days to install.
Michael: And when I started, when I got more and more involved in the Postgres community, maybe 6 years ago, most Postgres committers were, well, I didn't look at the numbers, but I think from memory, most committers and contributors to Postgres were working at consulting firms who did a lot of community work but also I guess implementing features for their clients. These days I wouldn't be surprised if, and I know the lines are blurred between consulting firms and managed service providers these days, but I wouldn't be surprised if a group, I definitely know that lots and lots of committers are moving to the hyperscalers and other managed service providers.
Nikolay: Of course.
Michael: But what I mean is there is some contributing back from them. But I do take your point that there's an interesting dynamic here. And I would be interested in your take on what proportion of people are moving for those kind of ideological reasons versus cost reasons. Because you mentioned it's like double the price for less access. Which of those is more important to people? Double the cost or the less access?
Nikolay: That's a good question. First of all, again, the question is not like one-sided. I admit all things RDS brought and others brought and
Michael: it's
Nikolay: for sure. But also I just feel it like how working with Oracle and SQL Server, not understanding what's happening, always like a need to reach out support and waiting months to get any small response. I was like, it's hard. Then working with open source, you just see how it works and you can even fix it if needed, or you can troubleshoot. It's like documentation always lacks details. So source code is best documentation and ability to debug. This is a huge part of open source concept for me. And this lacks there, right? So for me, it's a big problem. But I understand I'm in minority here. But I'm not afraid to be in minority. 20 years ago, Postgres itself was deeply in minority, deeply. It was like, MySQL everywhere, Oracle is in enterprise. What is Postgres, right? So I truly believe that RDS, RISE started roughly 10 years ago, maybe 12, right, around that time. It was like a storm. Heroku started first, and I think Heroku was historically first, like, good managed Postgres, right? And RDS, others. Everyone has it. Even IBM or Huawei has it, or Oracle has it. It's insane, absolutely insane. So I truly believe this peak, we already like should go down or soon we'll start go down and something new has to be created. This is what I feel. Maybe it will take 10 years or so, another 10 years, but it should not be so because the whole philosophical point of open source is deeply disturbed. Right? It sucks to troubleshoot problem on RDS trying to reproduce it on regular Postgres. You try to guess things all the time. You don't see, you are blind, right? Some database is suffering, their support is slow or unexperienced.
Michael: We're repeating a conversation we've had several times.
Nikolay: Yeah, yeah. Well, the problem is like, for me, this season is deep, it's strong, but I also understand I'm among very few people who feel it I think
Michael: So why bring this 1 up about how to move off? Is it because you want people to move or is it because you're seeing that they're moving and they need advice?
Nikolay: I want to start this discussion. I also know that probably more people will move because of budgets especially like economical reasons they can yeah you at some point you realize you spend a lot on RDS and other services probably, but RDS sometimes is huge. Like it can be sometimes it's like between 20 or 50% of whole budget for cloud RDS. And I think there are interesting pieces of how you can get support. As I understand, to get support at RDS, whole account should be upgraded. So you cannot upgrade only RDS part. But this I'm not sure. What I'm sure, it costs a lot, and it costs for something that can be achieved with open source, and a little bit of support from some guys. You can hire those guys, or you can use services, but it will cost a fraction of what you can have on AWS. And so sometimes some companies are in trouble. They check spendings. They see big check, like say 10, 000 per month for some small company. It's significant money, right? So you can hire a guy for this. And you check what you can achieve on low costers like Hetzner or OVH or something. And you see, you can drop it 5 times. Why not? Right. Or maybe it can be a hundred and 20, 000 after migration. And you see that, like, as I said between 20 and 50 percent of costs are databases right we're talking about guys and not raising but they need to survive as well There are such companies and sometimes they need help as well.
Michael: Yeah, so the cynic in me is thinking, oh, Nikolay wants more customers.
Nikolay: No, unfortunately, in this case, I can help 1 time, like Moo, but we don't have a solution yet. Others might have solutions to this, and sometimes it's Kubernetes, sometimes it's not Kubernetes. I would prefer not Kubernetes in this case. If you're very familiar with Kubernetes, okay, good. There are options, but I would just prefer maybe like old-school solution without additional layers if it's a small project, it's maybe easier and yeah, we can help, but I'm not looking for customers because this is actually not, not super huge customer. Usually We had such cases, but it's like small project for us to migrate and I just wanted to share some pieces of advice and start like spark this negotiation about why like we use RDS so much while backups, HA and DR already solved in open source, fully solved. Take Patroni, and pgBackRest or WAL-G, that's it. And just find some packaging or build your own and that's it. Yeah. So not convincing or what?
Michael: Yeah, well, I mean, I think you're right at a certain scale, but I think there's a lot of smaller scales where it just makes sense. Like it doesn't make as much sense to try and save that amount of money for the...
Nikolay: How much, like, let's take some company, how much is total cost and like in percentage, how much databases?
Michael: Yeah, good, good question. But I think like, even up to spending, Well, definitely less if you're spending less than $1, 000 a month on the database, like why bother?
Nikolay: Not noticeable, right. But if it's
Michael: Do you see what I mean? Like, that's quite a big like, for a lot of very small startups, they won't be spending that. So, well, I think there were a lot.
Nikolay: Well, depending on the term small, because if it's still small team, but they accumulated a lot of data, the budget for to keep this data in RDS Postgres will be high. And I think we touched on an interesting question. I think there is some threshold where you can estimate how much effort in terms of engineering resources it will take. And then how much, like, there should be some threshold. Below that, it's not, like, reasonable to move out of RDS. But above that, it might be reasonable, especially considering that the quality of Patroni, WAL-G, and pgBackRest, it's very good enough. They are battle-proven many years already. And yeah, so I think, and we see in RDS, I don't know if they implemented using Patroni, but this so-called HA cluster, in addition to HA, not HA, multi-AZ, multi-AZ cluster, in addition to multi-AZ instance, 3 node cluster, it already looks like classic Patroni setup, right? And if you compare costs, it will be interesting. But also you, if you move out of AWS to out of cloud or to cheaper cloud like Hetzner Cloud, which has regions in the US and a lot of regions, not a lot, some regions
Michael: in Europe. As of recently, yeah.
Nikolay: And they also, since I think last year, have S3 compatible object storage for backups, but only in Europe. That's a fact.
Michael: Oh, really?
Nikolay: That's a fact. I hope they will add it to US regions as well soon. And I actually really like their dedicated offering. I used it many years ago when I was bootstrapping it. And I know many people use it. And sometimes customers come to us and they use Hetzner for bootstrapping, and it makes sense. And it's even more cost saving. But it's also not available in the US, unfortunately. So anyway, if you take that price for instances, EC2 versus virtual machine and heads in the cloud, it's already 5X. But on top of that, premium AWS ads to run backups and failover and other services they provide. It's additionally like 60, 70%, right?
Michael: Yeah. Well, but okay. So I think we've covered enough on like why. I think people,
Nikolay: yeah, control and money, money and control. Yeah.
Michael: So, so then I think the more, the trickier question is how? And especially how to do it with minimal or no downtime.
Nikolay: Yeah, well It's again. This is not only about RDS Maybe you want to migrate out of other, like CloudSQL or Crunchy Bridge or something, despite their achievements. First thing, Let's talk about versions, compatibility, plugins. If you move out to different cloud, it's of course important to compare all the extensions and capabilities, versions supported, how fast the service delivers minor upgrades, this is big deal. This is big deal. If they lag, it's like some flag for me, like we need to make sure if bugs happen in Postgres, it will be delivered to my setup quickly. Also how my major upgrades are done, right? What kind of control I have there, but if it's to your hands, well, it's easier because you can take, it's open source. You can take any extension besides extensions AWS, for example, created for RDS and didn't publish to open source. They have it, like AWS Lambda, extensions for plant control in Aurora, to freeze plants, to mitigate plant flips, to avoid plant flips. These extensions, unfortunately, are not available in open source, so you need to find a replacement. But this is rare, actually. So usually people... It's either observability-related capabilities, you can find a replacement for it, or It's something people usually rarely use. So most of the offering in RTS, it's based on open source pieces. And you can bring even more extensions if you're thinking in your hands, right? You can have- Make
Michael: your own?
Nikolay: Yeah, make your own extension, easier, compile everything.
Michael: So- P-Y-O-A, yeah.
Nikolay: Yeah, yeah. So yeah, there was a mini conference inside, a recent conference in Montreal, right? So it was organized by Yurii, right? It was Postgres Extensions Day or something. I know several people who presented talks there. It was interesting. So, actually, a part of my lack of love to extensions over the last 5 to 10 years is because of RDS and these guys. Because I understand if I create extension, it will take ages for them to take it, right? So if you move out, yeah, you have control and can use more extensions. What?
Michael: Yeah, so but now we're talking about some, yeah, of course you need to do a bit of research bit of prep as to where you're going but I'm assuming most people that are thinking how do I move off have done that step I think the the tricky part is often you don't you're not able to for example set up logical replication to you know you an easy an easy ish way to do this would be set up a logical replica somewhere else, set up replication, decide a cutover point, pause writes, cut over, send writes to the new primary, great, easy, done, episode done, But I believe that's not possible in most cases.
Nikolay: Well, it depends on the scale. So before we go there, 1 more thing related to extensions and compatibility. So if you want to think about how not to lose anything, it's important to think about observability bits. And in this case, pg_wait_sampling and pg_stat_kcache and pg_stat_statements and auto_explain, they bring a lot of observability bits. And there are several monitoring solutions available that can be used on top of them. So the idea is everyone who works with RDS, literally everyone, they use performance insights. And it's not a good idea to migrate off and lose this bit. Fortunately, pg_wait_sampling, especially with recent fixes, now, right? It's possible to use it and have similar charts in your monitoring thanks to that. So It's not only about extensions functionality, but also additional observability, so management extensions. As for cutover and so on, logical replication is usually available everywhere, on RDS included. You can provision logical replicas. The tricky part is how to do it if your database exceeds, say, a few terabytes or 10 terabytes. It's really not easy.
Michael: As in that first initialization, you just never catch up.
Nikolay: Yeah, yeah. Well, yeah, never catch up. You can use multiple slots to catch up, right?
Michael: Yeah, but so, okay, but you said it's not easy. Why, is it because of the time between setting it up and getting it to work.
Nikolay: To create a logical replica, we need to do 2 things. First is initialization, and next is switching to CDC and catching up inside the CDC. I don't think it's a huge deal in terms of CDC to catch up if you use multiple slots. Usually with 1 slot you can handle workloads like 1000 tuple writes per second. If you check pg_stat_activity, n_tup_del, n_tup_upd, and n_tup_ins, These 3 numbers, you check how many of them you can have per second. If it's on modern hardware like Intel, AMD as well, ARM maybe, but maybe less. You need to go down with this threshold. Thousand tuple writes per second, of course, it's a relative number because it depends on the content of those tuples as well. You can have a thousand tuples per second, you should catch up well just with a single slot. If you have more, just use multiple slots. The only problem is that when you use a logical replication using multiple slots, foreign key violation happens temporarily. It's eventually consistent on the subscriber, right? So you cannot use it while it's a replica. But so this is not a problem. Problem is this initialization because standard approach. So there are several tricks here. First, there is a binary mode. There is a traditional way to create a replica with copy data set to true, but also you can set binary to true. I think it's supported since Postgres 15 or 16. In this case, it gets data in binary form and it's kind of faster. It's not the same as to create physical replica and convert it to logical replica, which became, by the way, official in Postgres 17. I missed this. There's a new
Michael: CLI tool.
Nikolay: There's a new CLI tool, but it will be only available Postgres 17, so in future. Now, usually we have an older version on production. Although, if you can upgrade to 17 first, then this tool is available. But these guys don't provide the physical backups besides CrunchyBridge.
Michael: I was going to say, so you wouldn't be able to use this to migrate off RDS.
Nikolay: But this flag, what I'm talking about, like flag binary set to true, this is for regular logical replica provisioning. It's not physical to logical conversion. It's something else. Like, and it, like it should speed up, should speed things up. But additionally, you can speed up things to implement it manually. So if you just create slot, open transaction, export snapshot, and then dump everything in many workers, actually, pg_dump supports it. In pg_dump, you can support hyphen j, number of jobs. And also you can specify exact snapshot to work with. If that transaction is still open and this snapshot is being held in repeatable read transaction isolation mode, a snapshot isolation. So it holds snapshot. Then you can use multiple pg_dumps or multiple pg_dump workers to export data faster. There is even more. Even more can be done here. If you have huge tables, a single worker will be a work alone. It will be a single-threaded, single worker processing a huge table, like a billion rows, for example. And in this case, it's good to think about custom dumping and restoring using multiple workers and using like logical partitioning like you have ID ranges for example if it's integer big int or UUIDv7 or actually if it's even if it's UUIDv4 you can have ranges because it's like randomly distributed like
Michael: so no longer using pg_dump but like copying to CSV or something.
Nikolay: Yeah, yeah. Yeah, yeah. So something like this. And you can specify ranges and export data in huge table using multiple workers. This is to speed up the process. And the more we speed up, the less we need to catch up. Obviously. But the problem with speeding up too much is if you do it from the primary, and until only recently, 16 or 17, it was when it became possible to create logical replication from physical standbys. Before that, you need to deal with primary. And this is not fun.
Michael: But also, I don't understand how you... Can you on RDS set up logical replicas from a standby?
Nikolay: Never tried, but it should work in 17, right?
Michael: Oh, I mean, the features, they're in Postgres. I just didn't know it was available in RDS.
Nikolay: I also don't know. But actually, you can have, you can think about having, if, ah, so it's interesting, right? If we create a slot on the primary and we have physical replica. Theoretically, we could have replica lagging a little bit. We create a slot and then we use recovery_target_lsn to catch up and synchronize with slot position using physical replication. And then we pause it again, and we can grab data from physical replica. And we know it will correspond exactly to the slot position, which is waiting for us, right? But the problem is RDS doesn't support recovery_target_lsn, you cannot change it. So my question is, can we pause replica and instead of recovery target_lsn, advance slot, there is a function, pg_replication_slot_advance or something like this, you can, knowing position of your physical standby, you could advance the slot. So they again synchronized. And then you can grab your data from physical standby and you know this data will correspond to the slot position.
Michael: So, But in reality, how are you seeing people, when you do a project to move people off, what are you actually ending up doing normally?
Nikolay: Well, recently we decided to do it with downtime, honestly, because this project could allocate maintenance window 3 hours, no problem. But the scale was, I think, a couple of terabytes. It was not, yeah. But at this scale, actually, I would probably use traditional logical replication provisioning. But what I'm describing right now here, it's interesting because again, we want to move as fast as possible with initialization to catch up less later. But we also don't want to overload the primary if it's still being used. So this trade-off is like competing reasons, right? That's why it's a good idea to move this disk I/O or reading disk I/O off the primary to a standby. This is what I just tried to elaborate. Honestly, I never tried on RDS. I never tried. I only tried from from self-managed.
Michael: That's why I wanted to bring us back a little bit to how to move, because it feels like, even though these things might be possible, they start to get quite complicated. And sometimes complexity in these situations is scary, it's hard to test, it's hard to be sure it's going to work well, and often because it's a project that won't happen, hopefully you won't be migrating every year or 2, So hopefully it's a fairly infrequent task people can offer. I think sometimes people can arrange for a couple of hours of downtime at really, you know, over a weekend announce it really far in advance. Let people like obviously some some can't but I think plenty can and then the complexity just drops.
Nikolay: So far there are tools that are open source tools and there are proprietary tools additionally, which help with logical replication. For example-
Michael: Like CDC type.
Nikolay: Yeah, so DMS from AWS, and Google also supports their own tooling. And there are third party tools like Qlik. I wouldn't recommend Qlik. They suck at Postgres for sure. But there's Fivetran. Fivetran is good proprietary tool. Like They promise to work very reliably in very big databases, so you can use them to migrate out and then that's it. Or there are open source tools like there is pgcopydb, which I think works fully at logical level, right? So it should be compatible with RDS by Dmitry Fontaine, right? Again, I only know it, I never use it myself. There's something from Xata, I think? No? Should be.
Michael: I don't know.
Nikolay: The problem is support of DDL, because the problem with logical is DDL always, right? If you need to create DDL often, sometimes it's a part of user activity, DDL creation. And this is not a good position to be in, because DDL is not propagated with logical replication and it's... Yeah. If it's like... If you can pause it, it's great, but if you cannot... Yeah, so...
Michael: Another reason to keep the window closed.
Nikolay: Yeah, I agree with you. Complexity can grow, but it's already not rocket science.
Michael: Yeah, that's fair.
Nikolay: And you can evaluate this complexity and how much you need to engineer, compare, compare with your savings.
Michael: Yeah, it's a good point though because if we're talking like projects that are already spending more like a few thousand a month or more they're gonna they're gonna be of a certain scale so there is gonna be that you I think you mentioned a couple of terabytes and it was say about a couple of 2 hours of downtime or something.
Nikolay: Sometimes people spend millions and we know there are cases of quite good, in terms of scale, bigger companies who migrated out of cloud even, you know, like posts by DHH and 37signals. So it was I think a couple of years ago already right?
Michael: Oh yeah all I mean is the bigger you are the more that complexity makes sense because you well unless I'm mistaken I was always thinking the down the downtime you'd need to take would be somewhat proportional to the amount of data because of the dump restore time, so it's like Yeah, if you've got a small database the amount of downtime you would need to cut over would be much lower.
Nikolay: Yeah, yeah, that's
Michael: fair. But you're not gonna have a small database and be moving for cost reasons. That doesn't make sense to me.
Nikolay: By the way, there is a good approach. So we don't want to have long-lasting initialization just because we lag a lot. We just don't want to risk the health of the primary in case if we cancel this migration. Because if we cancel, the health of the... It will be disturbed because of accumulation of dead tuples and eventually bloat, right? And there is an approach, I think some tools I just mentioned, I implemented, if you start consuming from CDC immediately when slot is created and put it into some intermediate place like Kafka or something, or object storage. In this case, you like xmin horizon is already propagating, right? Yeah. So you're already using this slot. You're just using it not by the final user Postgres, but some intermediate user who will promise to deliver all the changes later when final destination will be ready. So this is also this also like a reasonable approach, but it adds a little even more complexity because now you need to manage Kafka and this is a whole another story. Or something else. Files. Files on object storage. It's like.
Michael: Well, like, is that what Debezium is used for?
Nikolay: Yeah, well, but I stopped hearing from Debezium for quite long. I don't know what's happening. If you know, like, who's listening, if you know, like, can you leave some comments somewhere? I'm curious what's happening with this project.
Michael: So, but you raised a good point about testing, like what if you need to go back, or I mean, I think there's a valid question around how do you even test this kind of thing? How do you do a dry run?
Nikolay: So the trickiest part is switchover. Because it's hard to undo this, because it's already like jump. But provisioning of logical replica, it can be tested in production. You start from non-production, then you go to production and you are very careful, 2 big risks with logical is to be out of disk space and we have a new settings, I keep forgetting the name of new setting that can mitigate, like so maximum size of the leg, you can control it and say, better kill my slot if you achieve this threshold. So you can set, I don't know, like 10 or like 100 gigabytes there to avoid risks. And second danger is to affect health, because xmin horizon is not advancing. So this you can just monitor and then define some threshold when you say stop we are killing the slot and and let it go but besides these 2 risks users won't notice anything well disk I/O as well If you provision right from the primary, disk I/O can be significant if you use multiple workers. So it's better to control this.
Michael: Yeah. You also can't be doing migrations during that time. Like you can't be doing DDL.
Nikolay: You can, you can. If it's a
Michael: good point,
Nikolay: you yeah, they will just put your application on pause. And if it's not a lot, you can just if it's a test, what I did, I just checked in the logs, I see, I see DDL, it's good to have a log_statement DDL, it's good advice anyway for any setup, just to control all the changes. And you see, this is when DDL happened, and now our replication gets stuck because of this DDL, okay, we have up to 1 minute when I manually propagate. It's a test, right? But a good test is a production test, because it's really hard. Well, I recommend starting from non-production tests, but eventually, due to complexity, production tests here I would definitely recommend having as well. Under control, risk is not high. And if you see like the lag, okay, propagate it. If the deal happens, new partition is created every hour or what, right? So you can just propagate it manually and understand this spike was there. That's it. So it doesn't affect. But good thing is that users don't notice, right? So it gives you benefit of performing tests inside, like in the field, right? Where the real battle happens. Unlike switchover, switchover is different. Unless you have switchover backed by PgBouncer, suppose you, It won't be fully 0 downtime. You will need to accept like up to 1 minute loss, for example. Loss of availability, not of data. Data should not be lost, any of data. It's to switch, right? And PgBouncer, if you want to pause/resume, I guess it should be installed on separate nodes in Kubernetes or somehow and under your control. Because if it's PgBouncer provided by that service, you need to switch out of that service, right? So It's quite rare when people control their own PgBouncer. But it happens. I mean, in the case of users of managed Postgres. But it happens. It happened recently with us. People-
Michael: So might that be a sensible initial thing to consider migrating? Like run your own proxy? Or migrate to running your own?
Nikolay: Oh yeah. Well, and you can start from it, actually. This is what happened recently. It was managed service and PgBouncer, that managed service provided PgBouncer but they didn't provide important bits of it, some control. I think a pause/resume was either not support. I don't remember details, but definitely it was not supported all the details about monitoring. So you could not export this bits to some custom monitoring solution. So first thing was migrate those PgBouncers, get control over them. Then you can have pure pause/resume. And it's good. Oh, important thing I forgot I also wanted to mention. When you do all this, migrate out, you need to first think, you need to plan. And inside planning, it's super important to understand the topology and route trip times between the nodes. The distance, Is it like the same region? If it's, for example, you're migrating out of RDS, but you stay inside AWS, you can have the same region. It's good, because where will be your users, I mean application nodes? If they are far, it's bad. Sometimes people migrate to like, okay, Hetzner or something. And in this case, it's better to be closer. And some AWS regions have like a couple of milliseconds latency, route trip time to a few Hetzner regions. I think we have only 2 or 3, I don't remember. So maybe you first need to migrate to a different region, not edible yet, your application nodes, I mean, to be closer to that Hetzner region. Geography matters here. How many miles or kilometers between them? And you need to test latency. How to test latency? Like, absolutely simple test is, you have Postgres, You connect to it, you write backslash timing in psql, and just select semicolon multiple times. You already see, it's not scientific, you need to do something better, but it's super easy, because ping usually doesn't work, and you need some ways to test TCPIP level, some router time. I think there are tools what we used in the past I don't remember but this is the easiest way just to check routed round trip time to Postgres and choose better because actually 1 millisecond is already noticeable, right? Like 2 milliseconds if you have many queries. 10 milliseconds I would already start hesitating to have it. It's you remember our first episode, right?
Michael: Yeah, I was going to say, that's what you're aiming for, to have most queries be less than 10 milliseconds, right?
Nikolay: Yeah, because HTTP can have like many, for example, 10, and HTTP 100 milliseconds is already noticeable. Not noticeable until 200, okay. Should be noticeable for engineers, not to users yet. Okay, that's it. I think we covered many specific areas. I just wanted to say it's not like, it feels maybe scary, but it should not be scary. And I think in the future we will have more mature products, purely open source, delivering HA and DR in packaged form. Not only in Kubernetes, but Kubernetes is already so. You can choose among multiple Kubernetes operators, fully open-source, and they have, or at least they promise to have everything. But if you don't like Kubernetes, like actually I do more and more, I don't like 4 databases Kubernetes more and more. In this case, I think more products will arise and help you to stop worrying about that about backups and availability
Michael: yeah I think it's good to have options as well. Good to have. It's good to have a second best option when you're negotiating as well.
Nikolay: If you
Michael: because if costs are the main concern, step 1 might be try to negotiate a lower cost. And at that point, it helps to have a oh, we could actually migrate. We've looked into it, and here's our plan. We can move on to something that will cost us this much less. You might be able to get slightly a best of both worlds and just get the cost reduced without having to migrate. But yeah, great. So we covered a bit of planning, we covered how to in terms of technically, we covered things you have to make sure you don't forget about, a few bits there. Anything else before we wrap
Nikolay: it up? I just wanted to add a comment that I understand that this discussion maybe is a little bit early. So let's see what happens in the next, say, 5 years. And am I right to predict that the rise of new products around Postgres should happen? We'll see.
Michael: Yeah. Well, I'm going to predict that actually I think we might even go slightly in the other direction. I think we're gonna see more and more managed services, and I think they're gonna be- Because of AI. Maybe because of AI, but also, like, some of the companies that are spinning up thousands of these, like Supabase seem to be going from strength to strength, good for them. I know Neon just got acquired but the numbers of new databases on their platform is significant. They're both
Nikolay: because of AI builders, so to speak, right?
Michael: Yeah, but not only. I think there was...
Nikolay: This is what I read in social media.
Michael: I think the recent continued trend is definitely that. But Supabase... I know a lot of people building small businesses and a lot of them are doing it on on Supabase instead of Firebase in the old days so I think there are a lot of non AI projects on using that kind of service as well so I I'm seeing a lot of those maybe not the enterprise and this the larger scale projects but it'll be interesting to see in a few years' time. Hopefully we'll have both. Hopefully we'll have both ends of the spectrum.
Nikolay: What I remember is the saying that, not a saying, like phrase that more and more, maybe more than half of new databases created, it's from integration automation from like say some AI, like coding or something and they need database and it's just created basically fully automatically right yeah yeah interesting
Michael: yeah what the other half then
Nikolay: I don't know I don't know exact numbers it's just what like yeah I just put some random number 50
Michael: yeah
Nikolay: yeah so
Michael: and scale matters too right like I think whilst that's a lot of databases, I don't imagine that's a lot of huge databases, like we're probably not talking about that's not the ones that are going to be migrating to RDS anytime soon. Most of them.
Nikolay: Yeah, well, yeah. It's interesting. Like I would I would love to see some report from good, trustworthy sources, landscape of databases in terms of sizes, budgets, and so on. About open source, or maybe only Postgres. I remember some Gartner report from 2018. Yeah, that was already many years ago. It was saying that open source database market exceeded 1000000000 already, so it was great. But what's the distribution? Those who are created automatically, they are small. And they are definitely below the threshold we discussed, right? Where it doesn't work. And
Michael: also, what counts? What counts as open source? Like is Gartner including Aurora Postgres? In the open as open source?
Nikolay: Well the basis is open.
Michael: I understand that. I just I think it's a blurred line at this point
Nikolay: yeah it's hard to say there are so many flavors I agree
Michael: yeah all right anyway really a pleasure to speaking with you always and catch you next week
Nikolay: good Good.