Most people who get a regular paycheck probably take the payroll process for granted. So when payroll goes wrong, things get bad. In this episode, Caleb and Greg unpack the case of MyPayrollHR, where thousands of workers had their paychecks reversed, in some cases multiple times.
Dark Horse CPA https://ohmyfraud.promo/darkhorsecpa
- Clifton Park payroll company abruptly shuts down, leaves thousands scrambling [Albany Business Review]
- NY Payroll Company Vanishes With $35 Million [Krebs on Security]
- Missing Paychecks Leave Small Businesses Scrambling [WSJ]
- Owner of Payroll Processor Charged With Committing $70 Million Fraud [WSJ]
- Employers scramble after payroll company allegedly diverts $35 million from employees [CBS News]
- $26 Million in Missing Paychecks, One Mysterious Swindler Charged [NYT]
- Michael Mann Charged with Bank Fraud [DOJ]
- ValueWise CEO Michael Mann Pleads Guilty to $100 Million Fraud [DOJ]
- [Daily Mail]
- MyPayrollHR debacle: Who is Michael Mann? [Times Union]
- U.S. v. Michael Mann [Complaint via Krebs on Security]
- MyPayrollHR CEO begins prison sentence [WNYT]
- Minnesota Man Pleads Guilty to Conspiring with Michael Mann to Defraud Financing Companies [DOJ]
- Texas Man Charged with Conspiring with Michael Mann to Defraud Lenders [DOJ]
- Documents show how MyPayrollHR owner tried to cover up $100M fraud [Times Union]
A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR
Dark Horse CPAs has built a platform-style CPA firm that will transform your practice. It has the technology, resources, staffing, qualified inbound leads, and community that will enable you to spend your time growing your practice, serving clients and doing more of what you love. Learn more at abetterway.cpa
HOW TO EARN FREE CPE
In less than 10 minutes, you can earn 1 hour of NASBA-approved accounting CPE after listening to this episode. Download our mobile app, sign up, and look for the Oh My Fraud channel. Register for the course, complete a short quiz, and get your CPE certificate.
Launch the course on EarmarkCPE to get free CPE/CE for listening to this episode.
Download the app:
Questions? Need help? Email email@example.com.
Greg Kyte, CPA
EMAIL : firstname.lastname@example.org
Transcript available upon request
Creators & Guests
What is Oh My Fraud?
"Oh My Fraud" is an irreverent podcast from CPA/comedian Greg Kyte and blogger/former CPA Caleb Newquist.
The two come together to unpack their favorite frauds and explore the circumstances, psychology, and interpersonal dynamics involved. They also fully indulge in victim-blaming the defrauded widows, orphans, infirm and feeble-minded—because who can resist?
If you fancy yourself a trusted advisor—or prefer your true crime with spreadsheets instead of corpses—listen to this show to learn what to watch out for to keep your clients, your firm, and even yourself safe.