CSP12 - Su Bhuhi
Aanchal Women’s Aid was founded by Su Bhuhi when a woman needed support to safeguard her children from being taken to South Asia against her will. Su, a survivor herself, took a stand to help protect the women and her children from further harm. We provide support and services to help people who face challenging life situations so that they can understand their rights and make informed choices. Aanchal continues to grow from strength to strength. We never lose sight of the person that knocks on our door and their needs. We listen and we understand. We have helped over 40,000 women since 1984.
Su joins me on the show to discuss The story behind the name ‘Aanchal’ and why the women who use the service chose it. She shares why her move into helping other women was an organic process that was rooted in the love and support of her parents when she was suffering from domestic violence. Su also describes how Aanchal supports women and children who are suffering from domestic violence, particularly during the COVID-19 pandemic.
"We should be able to make our decisions in life, we should be able to learn ... the impact of barriers are just as great today, as they were in the 70s for me." - Su Bhuhi
Today on The Community Safety Podcast:
● Su’s experience of living in different cultures, her experience of diverse ways of living and meeting different people with different beliefs, and values, and why she loves celebrating that experience
● Su’s personal experience of domestic abuse and why she felt so isolated when she was suffering
● How’s Su’s father supported her in her choices despite the norms of the South East Asian community at that time
● The interpretation of the idea of ‘honour’ in South East Asian communities
● Why there are still barriers to women seeking help when they are experiencing domestic abuse
● The training that Aanchal undertakes with institutions to help them recognise domestic abuse
● Why COVID-19 has exacerbated violence in the home
Connect with Su Bhuhi:
Connect with The Community Safety Podcast:
★ Support this podcast on Patreon ★
What is The Community Safety Podcast-Transforming Communities!?
The Community Safety Podcast has been created by Jim Nixon from Birmingham in the United Kingdom. Community Safety is the use of skills, knowledge and techniques, to prevent and reduce crime, disorder and fear of crime and develop safer communities in which to live, work and visit. Community Safety affects us all in society, it's all our responsibility to improve communities. Some of the main issues affecting communities in today’s society is violence, knife crime, mental health, alcohol abuse, drugs, child exploitation, anti-social behaviour and many many more.