CJ: All right, Duke. So what are we doing on today's
Duke: switcheroo! Today we have a very special guest, as some of you know, I do some ServiceNow coaching I ran a few cohorts last year, and I am very lucky and excited to have one of the graduates from that cohort. Holly Ryder, join us today on CJ and the Duke. Hey, Holly.
Holly: Hey, Duke. Hey, CJ. Thanks for having me.
CJ: Hey, Holly. Thanks for being here.
Duke: in the description so you guys can check them out if you're a Canadian ServiceNow customer. Okay. So Holly, why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself? You're pre ServiceNow, Holly.
Holly: Okay, pre service nail holly. \ , I was an esthetician and makeup artist. , so it's been quite a journey to go from that to, uh, learning service now. , I had done a bit of, , platform administration for a nonprofit and, , met a lovely human, , who, uh, is actually an architect at GlideFast. And he's like, oh, if you can do the platform, , administration, why don't you look into this? Because I was looking to switch gears after, um, COVID, , I was primarily, uh, doing makeup for bridal. So that kind of went away for two years and I just dove into trying to learn what this whole crazy world is about.
Duke: How did you start? , when you decided I'm going to learn ServiceNow, what was step one for you? Silence.
Holly: I started poking around and realized that some of the, CSA component was going to be a little bit more intuitive for me because I had already been a platform admin, so I had some of that admin experience. So I Jobe into trying to learn that on my own, and that went pretty smoothly. So I was pretty confident. I got my CSA pretty quickly. and then I realized that there was so much more that I was just kind of on the tip of this iceberg. and it was just in the middle of, they had just gone to San Diego and so kind of like the next experience was that, New and flashy and pretty and that started sucking me in deeper so I did my certified application developer certification as well With no, background whatsoever in, development or programming. but they had mentioned that there was a Code Academy and then while I was Googling Code Academy, I found Chuck Tomasi and his lovely videos. And, as I've said before.
Duke: Big shout out to Chuck.
Holly: He is a beautiful sunshine human who is like, Oh, I could figure this out. And he's so happy and engaging.
Duke: Oh man. everybody take a shot. Cause we're going to put a link in the description below. We've got a black house episode with Chuck Tomasi. You never knew.
CJ: Yeah,
Duke: Tomasi like outside service now?
CJ: and Chuck is committed to a part two, two, right? So this is a call, a call out to that we haven't forgotten.
Duke: coming for you, Chuck.
CJ: We'll see you at knowledge.
Duke: Yeah. Oh man. but this is all just you on your own so far, right? So CSA, CAD, Chuck Tomasi's JavaScript videos.
Holly: Mm hmm. And, I started applying for jobs and realized while I started looking through the job descriptions that I had no idea what I was doing. because I guess from my background, you need certifications to be able to do the job before you do the job. So that's how I had approached it that, oh, I'm supposed to have the certifications, then I do the job and learn the job. and that is not at all how service now works. so then,
CJ: How would you say it works then? Is
Duke: Yeah, I'm I really want to double click on this too, because. I have to break this news the hard way to a lot of people. They're just like, I have the cert, like, where's the jobs. And you give them a little bit of an interview and it's kind of like, but I, if you could double click on that, we'd really appreciate it. Okay.
Holly: is you need to just get your hands dirty in your PDI. You need to build and the nice thing is like the developer site even has those step by step This is how you create your first application. This is how you learn how to lock it down like you really really have to start actually using it because For me, at least, the CSA and the CAD was, definitions and terms. And I can talk about those definitions and terms, but that doesn't mean that I actually know how to use a client script or when to use a client script. It doesn't mean that I know the difference between what a client script and a business rule does, or when to use them, whether or not they're on the browser or the server, like, literally, you have to start playing with it and getting dirty, so to speak. and as you start gaining that experience, then that learning, starts coming for you.
CJ: so that's when it all comes together when you've , absorbed the book knowledge and then you've, put it all into practice and your PDI and you say, whoa, whoa, whoa, that kind of didn't happen the way I thought it was going to happen and, or like, Oh, that's why you do it this way. And then you integrate , that level of understanding into your skill set. And then you start to build on it with , all of. The collective knowledge that you have right from the stuff that you learned from reading and watching videos. And then now the stuff that you're learning from actually executing, , those things that you watched and read about, would that be,
Holly: Yeah, , that's exactly it.
CJ: yeah, you know, and I've seen that I've seen the same thing, right? Like for me, You know, you, I read it first. Right. I integrate that. It's kind of like, okay, now I got the theoretical, right? It helps for me to understand the why behind it. I'm behind the what, right. And then I do the one and it's like, Oh, all right. And it all kind of comes together. So it's interesting for me to hear that , lots of other people learn this way too.
Duke: So, you're going around on your own and you got your two certs. You started applying what made you decide you needed to do a cohort, a training, a coaching cohort.
Holly: Kali Alexander.
CJ: yes, yes, yes, yes. Shout out to Kali. Oh my God. I got love to hear that. I love to hear that.
Holly: She had you on her show and, it had been one of the ones that I had, , tuned in for it and it's like, Oh, like, I think it was, , maybe when she was doing that, quick coaching series that she had did for a little bit. And I was like, Oh, this guy really knows. And I started actually searching through LinkedIn. And I started realizing like, CJ and the Duke existed because I had no idea if I actually feel like I've. Very much didn't know anything about the ServiceNow community other than now learning. The developer site and Chuck Domasi and LinkedIn kind of opened my eyes to a lot of that. and then, I actually sent her a message and just thanked her I said, like, I just, I just don't know where to go from here because I've got these certifications and I feel like I know stuff, but I also feel like I have no idea what I'm doing at the same time. And she said, I know the guy you need.
Duke: Bye bye. Okay.
Holly: reached out to you because you messaged me and I just had sent me, um, because I was saying I didn't know what to build. I had listened to a couple of your shows and both of you guys are talking about, like, what You should build. And it's like, well, what the heck do I build? What does that mean? And you had thankfully messaged me and sent me a link to the episode that you did on what, literally what to build.
CJ: Oh yeah, that was a good one.
Holly: And that made me follow you, , I'm like in. And that you were just getting started with your first cohort and. What, really sparked my interest was whenever you did the video with Tracy, where she had built part of your soap app at the very beginning. And I was like, that's what I need. And so I started hounding you.
Duke: I wasn't that hard to find, was I?
Holly: No, you weren't. You were great.
CJ: Whoa. No, that. And let me double click on that. we very, we very rarely get to. To talk about that experience from the perspective of like someone reaching out to one of us and actually having them on the shows and interviewee. So Duke, if you don't mind, I'm going to ask Holly a little bit about how, how, how the experience went, reaching out to the Duke and, and getting on board into his program. And Because obviously you became successful. So , talk a little bit about like how that experience ended up with you working for a ServiceNow partner, having come from, somewhere completely outside of the ServiceNow ecosystem.
Holly: I, messaged you to let him know that I would like to join the cohort and, he did, about a 15 minute interview with me, , which scared the crap out of me because, um, Um,
CJ: awesome.
Holly: that I have such respect for what you have done and everything that you share. And it's that it's a career pivot. It's like you're coming from knowing that you have some life experience, but you don't in this area. and I'm an introvert as well. So getting brave enough to reach out and ask the questions. , and thankfully, I was accepted into the cohort and that was. That was amazing. And I'm not saying that just because I'm talking to you, I actually tell everybody that I absolutely would not be where I am today without, , the cohort. I was jazzed from the very first, honestly, I was downstairs in my basement, in a little cubby, , doing my first lesson, I came upstairs and
Duke: I mean, you had your CSA and your CAD on your own power beforehand, so you had all the smarts you needed.
CJ: Well, Oh, so,
Holly: but I didn't know how to put it together.
CJ: So talk about that. Talk about how you had two certifications. One of them and advanced certification. I considered a CAD, uh, a rather advanced, um, service now certification. Tell me , what you learned on working with the Duke that allows you to put that all together.
Holly: it's like the difference between having book smarts and street smarts.
CJ: Okay. Okay. I'm digging.
Holly: me, the Duke gave me street smarts
CJ: All right.
Holly: because what I found was that I knew the terms and definitions and I had a good idea of, okay, how this goes together, but he would break down. Okay. This is. Where are we using a business rule? This is why we're choosing to use a business rule over a client script. For example, this is why we're choosing to use a business rule instead of, um, using a scheduled script. Why we're going to use flow instead of a business rule. Like he started actually breaking down the things that we actually do. And then the. Big thing for me was two things. One, he was very adamant that no question is ever stupid. And from my background, whenever you would ask a question, especially corporately, it was very much, you were questioning. Authority or you were you weren't asking to learn and I'm a very much a curious person. So, like, I will, ask and I ask until I can understand and he very much encouraged that and made time. Like, it didn't have to be during class time. Like, he, he was able to be late. Reached on LinkedIn or discord, which is usually my favorite medium. And he answered the questions, and taught me how to ask the smarter questions, which was also an episode that you guys did that taught me a lot. Um, and then
Duke: uh,
Holly: for example, whenever we were learning how to do the soap app, he was explaining, this is what my business is. And I want you to start building this for me. And that's it. There's no, this is why I want you to build it. This is what I want done. This is some ideas I have. We literally had to dig and ask him and he did not make it easy because he acted like an actual client, where he wanted us to figure out what was going to work best for the business. Even though maybe he might have some preconceived ideas or something, it was more, okay, what can we provide and how is this going to actually get better business outcomes? Not, oh, this is going to look pretty or whatnot. And he made us dig through that.
Duke: It's the whole idea of like, don't learn from a textbook when you can learn from real life.
CJ: Right.
Duke: only for a very short time in your ServiceNow career, will you be doing stuff that's direct transformation, right? So, so some other ServiceNow resources, build a client script, that blah, blah, blah, if the requirements were that specific, why doesn't the person who's writing them just do it,
CJ: Yeah. No, that that's definitely fair, right? , if you can write out the requirements, you can just write out the requirements and hand them over. But one of the good things about having someone in front of you who actually wants to work done is they can tell you the why they want the work done and how they want to see it and things of that nature. And you can also get feedback on whether or not those things are good ideas and how it can be done differently or betterly based on a betterly. Wow. Differently or
Duke: Oh, it is. We're saving that one.
CJ: That's the title, uh, differently or better based on, , the expertise that you bring , to the table. , so Holly, I just want to, pull out a couple of things , that I just heard , from your answer in that last question. What I heard is that the Duke creates a safe space for questioning. with, with all the work that he's that he's doing, , in terms of bringing you into his cohort and how that cohort is set up, he told you a lot about the why to the decisions that are being made and the code or flow design or what have you, whatever it is that you're doing on the platform, he told you why you're doing it, right? So that it made a a lot of sense. And you can tie it back to the, what was needed. he talked critical thinking about it by basically being that obstinate client, ? That, , you sit down with and say, Hey, I need you to build this thing and then you have to tease out of him what he actually wants other than just the one sentence of I want this thing to work. And then he, talked a lot about the business and outcomes, right? He emphasized how the business outcomes drive the overall solution and putting all that together with the C. A. D. And the C. S. A. That you brought to the table, Really gave you a more holistic understanding of service. Now, would that be a good summarization of what I just heard?
Holly: Excellent summarization. Yep.
CJ: And I did it that way, Just for the listeners at home, because I wanted them to be able to point to one specific thing and say, okay, what are we going to get if I'm working with the Duke and look, we don't typically talk, we do talk our own book here. We don't talk it in depth typically to this, to, to this point. Right. But I've been watching, Duke, I've been watching you do this stuff for years now, man. And it's great to have Holly on here. Who's actually talking about the experience that she got from start to finish. and she brought, you know, knowledge to the table, too. And it shows that it's not just for folks who come in and they've never heard of service down before. It could also be for folks who, knew about service down before they got there, who've actually been certified but wasn't putting it all together. And now coming out of, the Duke's cohort, now you've got it all together and you are now, gainfully employed at a service now partner, which is amazing. Congratulations. Is
Holly: Thank you. They're really amazing. And I don't just say that because I work there. They're actually a really, really lovely bunch of people.
CJ: So working now in the service now ecosystem, what was your first response? , Oh my God, I'm on a client. I'm doing actual work in this thing that I just learned over the last however many months. Go. Like, what was your first, feelings
Holly: Oh, my goodness. I had to keep pinching myself, and I know that's such a funny answer, but I'm so excited to be a part of everything. And I'm I'm really working with a really great bunch of people, , and they value teaching and mentorship as well. , So my first project that I was on was like completely out of left field of knowledge that I had, which was really cool. because I was getting to learn about a ham implementation, which it was something that interested me before, but it wasn't something that I've done any study on. And so, , I was brought in as a tester so that I could learn how things. Work and how things go and a safe environment, because I wouldn't be the one maybe creating it. I would be the one who's testing it afterwards. and then the beautiful thing and another shout out to the Duke for this is that when, one of our team members had to step back, I was able to step up into. That position, and to create some, how to documentation on how to do like, say, an in tune integration, because he taught me to ask the questions.
CJ: See that that right there, right? , you started on day one with the confidence, right? To interact in your job that you might not have otherwise had because you were able to result that, , you were able to rely back on your training, that you got working with to do. That's awesome. this is like a time honored, teaching skill to write, like, you know, train, train, train, train. So when you get in the actual environment, you don't have to think right. Like you just do the training that you got right. And, Duke, you know, you've mentioned before that you're an army brat. I don't know how much of that, you know, like influence this,
Duke: Well, I, yeah, I was, , my dad was an infantry officer and like, I was not in the infantry definitively, but Certain things had to be so, right? Like, this is how you brush your teeth. And you always brush your teeth before you make your bed. And it's just, that's the way things were all neat and tidy and in order. And you just don't appreciate that until it's like much later in life. You know what I mean? It's just like, everything's busy. But. You've already done all the stuff you need to do without even thinking about it. I don't know how that, I don't know how that relates back to the discussion.
CJ: Well,
Duke: You got me all distracted with infantry.
CJ: no, no. I mean, it's just what Holly said though. Right. She relied on her experience, and the cohort on her first day at the job. Right. And probably subconsciously.
Holly: everyone.
Duke: dad, I don't bring him down a notch or anything, just, but the difference I had was I don't want anybody doing anything on autopilot. tell me why you're doing it this way, even at the beginning.
CJ: Fair enough.
Duke: So it's, it's just not do this. I don't want anybody to go. Did I ever say, trust me, Holly?
CJ: okay. Okay.
Duke: I know. I don't think I ever said, trust me. I'm just
Holly: a why,
Duke: Yeah. Why you saw me just do it that way. Why did I do it that way? Any guess, even guesses. Right. but speaking of trust me though, I got to say, trust me on this folks. You got to try, this product from our sponsor magic mind. they call it the first productivity drink. This stuff is awesome. I got it right here. Can you hear it by the mic?
CJ: Could definitely hear
Duke: right now. I'm going to have some right now. Hold on a second. Oh, my God. So good. I love this stuff. Keeps me super focused. This is a part of the day where I'm trying to fight off a nap or 2. And this just keeps me aware and energized and in flow state without that Caffeine buzz. You know what I'm talking about Corey? Like
CJ: Yeah. A little bit of the jitters, right. A little bit
Duke: Yeah. Yeah. I feel amped up, I feel energized, but I don't feel like I'm down for like a deep focused work 'cause my hands won't stop shaking. And I remember in the last episode we talked about what does it taste like, right? And I was like, oh, it's kind of like banana ish or something. But I actually checked the ingredients this time and it is matcha green tea. It says ceremonial grade matcha. So you know, it's the good stuff. It's got agave, passion fruit. Vanilla, red beet, it tastes delicious. It's a little shot, it's like a little tiny green shot. You can see a picture of it on our, LinkedIn page. and I just gotta say, trust me on this. Get yourself some magic mind. If you go to magic mind. com slash CJ and the Duke, there'll be a link in the description below, and if you use the promo code CJ and the Duke 20, you can get 20 percent off of your first one time purchase or 48 percent off a subscription. I'll say, trust me, Holly, I swear.
Holly: can
CJ: Me on the other hand, I'll say trust me a lot. Because I'm smart. Ha ha ha ha ha. Ha ha ha
Duke: not being
Holly: You're allowed
Duke: but
Holly: it with you when you've been proving it.
CJ: Absolutely.
Holly: No, you, you made us think and you made us ask why, and you also didn't shy away from making a mistake. Which
Duke: a couple of mistakes on the show. That's that hurt too. Like you're an hour and a half in, and it's like, you're about to like, just show the punchline. And it's just like, that didn't work.
CJ: Ha ha ha.
Duke: It just didn't do anything at all. Yeah. Sorry
Holly: But that's real
Duke: totally real life. You don't think that's going to happen on like the first week on the job. It just.
CJ: I've told this story before. I don't know if I've ever told it on the show. Right. But I was going live with a client, right. It was the Friday before a Monday go live. And I was moving things from a test to production. And I was doing something, something told me that I needed to clean up the, yeah, I need to clean up the attachment table or something like that. . And so I nuked it, not realizing that not only was I nuking like all of those test attachments, I like nuked like all of the attachments. The service now also reads in all other parts of the system, right? And so we ended up with this system now that was only half working because a lot of the referenced images and things like that were just all gone. . And this is on a Friday before a Monday go live. And I'm like, crap, I don't know how to get these things back. And so I start like trying to pull them back and all that. And anyway, long story short, right. I worked over the weekend, got it done. We went live on Monday. Everything was great. . But that was a really serious mistake. And , I did panic a little bit, but , had I not actually said, okay, mistakes happen. Right. I got the client on the phone, Hey, I did this thing. I blew something out. Don't worry about it. We'll get there. . And client was very understands, like, I trust you. You've been good all the way till now. Like, I'm sure we'll be fine. and then I got there at the end. Right. And we had a great lunch, but mistakes happen even when you're not intending them to, even when you, When you're doing something that you think is relatively benign. So, you know, you gotta be for that from both the training and, a real reality, um, kind of standpoint so that you
Duke: I like to think that even though I had stuff that went sideways. ways on a training call. It was great opportunities to practice troubleshooting. Right.
Holly: hmm. Mm
CJ: Yeah. Yeah.
Duke: that's another skill and troubleshooting is an exquisitely hard skill to teach, you know what I mean? Like, it's just one of those things that you just need to see enough trench fights to know what's coming, to know what to do next,
CJ: Ooh, I mean, that's like an entire episode on systems thinking, right? Like, cause I think the best troubleshooters are a great systems thinking thinkers. They know how everything relates together and they know like when the output of one thing isn't matching what the output should be, or the input on another part of it. And then, you know, you work backwards, but that's a whole nother show. But yeah, I agree with you, right? Like it's, it's incredibly hard to teach how to troubleshoot. I tried to teach it to my kids and I think, why can't you get this? And
Duke: Teaching them how to think, right? Oh, so tough. So what's next for Holly?
Holly: I'm just going to keep pushing. I am looking forward to getting my, , ITSM, certification. I think that's what I'm working on next. Plugging away at some micro certs just because those are important and they teach all kinds of fun little skills Like ATF, which is when I just finished that was cool. And yeah, I'm very content.
CJ: nice.
Duke: We still got some time. So why don't you tell us about the coolest thing you've done on the platform since starting with PAMT. Silence.
Holly: Oh I think that learning how To do, , an Intune integration was pretty darn cool. And the reason I say that is just because, it just brings so much value when you can start having other systems work with ServiceNow to pull in your assets or information. cause there's a lot of different integrations out there. and then another one is honestly, I think Catalog Builder is pretty darn cool. Because I think that it brings value to the client to be able to maintain your service catalog over time, instead of always having to have things sometimes done in a complicated manner. Not that you don't always need that, but it's nice to be able to have your clients to be able to maintain that.
Duke: Yeah, I just like you don't need to have top skill level people, working on catalog items. You can
CJ: no, no, no, no. You're missing. You guys both. I love catalog builder. Like you're missing the best part of it, The best part of it is that it makes building catalog items drag and drop, there's no more like, okay, , what's the order number here? Move
Duke: Yeah, no, that's kind of what I mean. It's really just putting labels on questions and, and determining what type of answer that you're expecting. Right. And it's like, why can't a BA do that? They're writing it in Excel for crying out loud beforehand. So why don't I just get all that stuff done in catalog builder? And then they don't have to worry about that stupid, like what table stores, variable
CJ: Dude, we wondered, yeah, we wondered through the wilderness for years for this thing, man, like,
Duke: yeah.
CJ: For me, , it is one of the capstones of a recent ServiceNow development. It's just getting that catalog builder that, , is largely as like, I don't know, V2 or V3 now, right? So, which means it's pretty solid and going in there and not have to, not having to, manually adjust like positioning and separators and all that kind of stuff without being able to see it first.
Duke: Oh, frigging separators.
CJ: exactly.
Duke: Oh, I still hate those
CJ: Exactly.
Duke: episode, I guess, because we are at time. Corey's got a boogie in two minutes here. So wrap this one up, Holly. Thanks so much for joining us. Thank you so much for the kind words
Holly: Thank you so much for having me. You guys are a delight.
Duke: Tons of links in the description below folks, everybody take a shot and check that out.
CJ: right. Still no, still
Duke: Still no outro.