João Gilberto, the father of Bossa Nova, died in Rio De Janeiro over the weekend, and we’d be remiss if we didn’t honor his monumental legacy.... chartmetric.com @chartmetric #chartmetric #bossanova #jazz #joaogilberto #riodejaneiro #brazil #omito
- Brazilian Bossa Nova legend João Gilberto died over the weekend at the age of 88. We remember “O Mito” and just how timeless he is.
- Good morning, it’s Rutger here at Chartmetric with your 3-minute Data Dump where we upload charts, artists and playlists into your brain so you can stay up on the latest in the music data world.
- Our social media handle is “chartmetric”, that’s Chartmetric, no “S ”- follow us on all your favorite platforms at Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn, and let us know what you think about this or any episode, get the latest and greatest from us daily...we’d also love to get your feedback!
- This is your Data Dump for Wednesday, July 10th, 2019.
- Remembering Bossa Nova Great João Gilberto
- João Gilberto, the father of Bossa Nova, died in Rio De Janeiro over the weekend, and we’d be remiss if we didn’t honor his monumental legacy.
- Gilberto was born in 1931 in the Brazilian state of Bahia, received his first guitar when he was 14, and you might say the rest is history.
- In 1965, he and American jazz saxophonist Stan Getz won three Grammy Awards for their album Getz/Gilberto, which features their famous recording of “The Girl From Ipanema.”
- With any legacy artist like Gilberto, whose catalog consists of, well, catalog (as opposed to frontline) recordings, numbers tend to flatline without those big new release marketing drivers.
- Gilberto’s repertoire has seen a significant uptick in interest across platforms not only in the last week, which is to be expected anytime a music great passes into the next frontier — but within the last two months as well.
- On Spotify, Gilberto’s follower increase has hovered steadily around a 100 since January, but since May 25, it’s shot up to around 600.
- While his monthly listeners fell some 5 or 600,000 from early April to early May, by the end of May, they had increased some 3 or 400,000.
- His Spotify Popularity Index, as a result, lifted some five points from 65 to 70 between May 23 and July 8.
- On every social platform, save for the Facebook wildcard, interest spikes are understandably, if unfortunately, localized around the news of his death.
- His Wikipedia views, for example, jumped from around 300 to nearly 70,000.
- There’s a similar increase on YouTube, where daily views leapt from around 66,000 to 1.2 million.
- Given his holy status in his home country of Brazil, Sao Paulo and Rio De Janeiro are his top cities by Spotify monthly listeners at 13.6 and 7.3 percent, respectively.
- On YouTube, however, Paris, France, and Santiago, Chile, are his top cities, both at around 8 percent.
- As far as countries go, USA, at 15 percent, is his biggest fan behind Brazil, at 17 percent of daily YouTube views.
- So, while Gilberto is definitely a Brazilian deity in the music world, it’s clear his impact has been global and that it will remain so for many, many years to come.
What is Your Music Data Dump from Chartmetric?
Fan followers, playlist ranks, monthly listeners...welcome to the world of music business data!
Join Chartmetric, one of the music industry's leading music analytics tools, for your morning shot of the latest news on music charts, artists on the move and influential playlists.
As of Nov 2019, releasing 2-3 times a month for a longer format.
Full show notes: https://podcast.chartmetric.com
#entertainmentindustry #musicbusiness #musicindustry #data