Gav: The podcast on Haunted Hill will contain spoilers and swearing.
Trailer Voice: I am the devil and I am here to do the devil's work. I sell this vicon. Be one of us. I didn't tell you my name, hang up. I didn't tell you my name. They're all apart. Come it is time to keep your appointment.
Gav: Hello and welcome to the podcast on Haunted Hill, episode 144.
Dan: My name's Gav and my name's Dan.
Gav: Welcome, welcome, your guides through the world of dirty, dingy, 80s New York's trash and rats. The segue straight away. There we go. Got rats in my loft.
Dan: There's not a goat man, that's what it is. It's not a goat man, it's just a giant rat.
Gav: There's a lot of rats up there. The other night it kept me awake. It was like a party. It was literally like there's a rat orgy. I don't know. I was like fuck's sake.
Dan: I'd hate to be involved in a rat orgy, unless I was a rat, of course.
Gav: Well, it's just a regular orgy for anyone else. Really, whatever thing it is, you put orgy to it, it is still what that is. But multiple variations of that Dern things and putting things where things sometimes don't go and sometimes do go.
Dan: Wow, so we've kicked off with rat orgies. This is great, but yes, you're right, new York is full of rats and we're going to be discussing New York a lot in this episode.
Gav: We could call it the episode rat orgies.
Dan: Rat orgies, there we go.
Gav: Will that be my punk trash, punk band?
Dan: Rat orgies that does sound like just rat orgy would be the name. Rat orgy. Yeah, so for this episode, yes, we will be traveling to New York in the early 80s and, as you've seen, if you've clicked you know, we will be covering basket case from 1982. And chud from 1984. Two films that, and we'll get into this, but two films that kind of always sat out on the shelves when I used to go in the in the video store and you know the covers of them and you'd wonder what it is about them. Was it going to be? They rely on some special effects or practical effects. So, yeah, we're going to be discussing those. They're our main reviews. But we'll also be talking about New York, the New York, the weird hot pot creativity that is New York, especially in the early 80s, and all the stuff that happened. We'll talk about some films that you may want to watch to get you in the mood, if you like, your New York movies, your New York horror movies and some some creature stuff as well from this sort of period, because this is, you know, before 85. So it's that nice sweet spot between the late 70s and early 80s and mid 80s where people were just we talked about it before. But you said you know the effects, guys, with a rock stars at this point and you know if you could pull off some great effects you would get the ladies and the cocaine.
Gav: Yes, especially 80s New York very much crack and cocaine, crack and coke, crack and coke baby yeah. So that's what we're doing today Quite interesting run, really Kind of. We've delved into sort of New York type films I've always liked. For me, when I first got into hip Hipbitty hop, new York was like you know where some great hip hop was coming from, and it's always like I've never been there. I'd love to go there but, like you know, beasties came from there and just so many cool things. Such a cultured place.
Dan: It is a hot pot. I hate to use the term, but it is a hot pot.
Gav: And yeah, and certain movies and you know the look of these movies we're looking at today Kind of also like Driller, killer, things like that.
Dan: Yeah, we'll get into all of that, definitely. I've been there twice, so I'd like to sort of chair some of that as well. But yeah, so before we, before we head over to New York, how are you? What have you been doing? What are you doing? What's going on in your life?
Gav: Not much the normal stuff really. I was wondering still trying to do delge into what Delge, delge, delge it's a new word, new word what I should do for my birthday. I think you know episode and I still think I will. So I was watching just before I came on. I think I might do it, it's that or something else, but I'm not sure what. I still think I'll do. It should be Studio 6 at 6. One thing I think I'm going to do I think we'll go there. I think, we'll do it, yep.
Dan: Are you making the decision live as we record?
Gav: I think so, otherwise I won't commit to it.
Dan: Excellent. So that's the sorcerer of William. Friedkin, studio 6 at 6.
Gav: Older film yeah, so the sorcerer is going to be a really good conversation and I'd love to have done something like the Holy Mountain, but those two are both fucking deep movies. Oh gosh, very heavy, heavy shit going on. I don't especially Holy Mountain, so I've picked something to go live and I thought Studio 6 at 6, because it's also Netflix recently, for I know UK, I presume Stateside and the rest of the world as well, so everyone can sort of watch it. So it's always good for people, because sorcerer is not going to be everyone's cup of tea.
Dan: Yeah, cool, and it isn't about a sorcerer, so I know I was kind of cussing.
Gav: Spoiler alert Because I thought it was going to be, but yeah, it wasn't. But it's actually kind of cool. I did go to the cinema, though. Ben and I went. The other night we went and watched Thanksgiving the Eli Roth Thanksgiving.
Dan: Oh right, please tell me. This is the first time I'm hearing about your views, and it tells me and our listeners what you thought. No spoilers, though.
Gav: No, I won't. Well, it's funny because I was kind of like actually, you know it's Eli Roth. I've kind of not moaned about him before, but he's kind of like Rob Zombie. They can mimic Eli Roth.
Dan: They're buddies, aren't they?
Gav: Yeah, well, I expected it would hold Orders. They could both really make a film. They know how to make a movie and they both absolutely adore and love horror. And Eli's almost like a torch bearer in certain aspects of horror, like doing his own Eli's horror uncut show all over on AMC. You know more.
Dan: Yeah, it's great show Eli Roth's history of horror, yeah, stuff like that.
Gav: So he really, like torch bearer, is such a real ambassador of horror and like all of a sudden he starts off with cabin fever and I was sort of premier in UK at the right first and just like what the fuck is this? This is great. And he had a little video introduction and straight away I was like this dude Love him. I've never seen him before. Then hostel and that's obviously torture porn. I almost opening up that into a very wide market Doing that.
Dan: Yeah, that was the first real proper.
Gav: Yeah, and it's a great film, you can watch it in my collection. I'll watch it now and be like, yeah, good film, and then obviously doing a couple of bits of pop here and there, but then all of a sudden like doing a cannibal movie which is just like left field, because no one's doing a cannibal movie the green inferno.
Dan: The green inferno for anyone who wants to watch that.
Gav: And no one's asking for a cannibal movie, but he did it and you're like, fair play man, it's alright, it's okay if you into cannibal movies, but it's like, yeah, fair play man to you. So I was kind of getting around to it in a very long winded way. I was kind of excited for this Because he's looking to slash us and I know he's a massive slasher fan of like pieces and movies like this, so I kind of did enjoy it. I didn't bother seeing anything or reading anything, apart from the original Grindhouse 2007 Grindhouse trailer and if you don't know what that is, that is when Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez both made two films and put them together as a package and it flopped, unfortunately, as a double package. I've got a blue rail of it as a whole massive thing with all the fake traders, and there's these fake traders by different people, and Edgar Rye, rob Zombie and Ilo Roth did one called Thanksgiving and that trailer had a lady coming down doing the splits on the trampoline and the knife going into her.
Dan: Into her.
Gav: Yep Beans are being in there a minute. I've got my dog with me today.
Dan: Yeah, don't whistle. Sorry, I won't whistle again.
Gav: Yeah, it'll be like what? No, bro, it's too hot, it's too hot, it's tired, I'll be sleeping and that is. But there was a girl on trampoline but they did the knife, but they didn't do that at all and they shied away and it's like that's a shame. But, there was some real good gory depths. I wanted more gore. I don't know what it says about me. I wanted more because he was doing like a love letter to 80s movies and there's zero tension, not one bit of tension, which was kind of a shame, but it's kind of like, well, what was he making? Like he did the Cannibal movie. He was making one of those Cannibal movies. This movie was him making like an 80s slasher movie, coming from this ridiculous kind of grindhouse trailer. So I can't expect a masterpiece of cinema which is going to history of 10 greatest movies of all time, but like it felt like almost a shame that he couldn't have done a bit more tension to it and actually pushed that a little bit further. Do you know what I mean? He was?
Dan: there.
Gav: I think he was on the wall when he could have just gone a little bit further and be like whoa this is a good movie when you've got it, it's fine.
Dan: When you've got directors making things like Bone, tomahawk, dried to Cross, concrete, that director I can't remember his name now off the top of my head People can push it and those films do do. Well, they might not make a huge commercial amount of money, but they're great films and you can make very violent and I'm not saying we're a kind of classic, yeah, exactly. But you can make a really gory X, an old school X rated film if you want. And my prediction when we discuss this in the last episode, when this film was about to come out my prediction was from reading the early reviews is that you and I and other horror fans would probably like this, but it probably won't be gory enough for us.
Gav: But it'll be a nice little 90 minutes where you can just watch it and whereas I think people who aren't seasoned horror fans will probably think it is quite gory, oh yeah of course there's a couple of old people there, which is amazing, but one of the old guys actually got up halfway through, went over to a woman who must have been using her phone, and then she's having words of her, and then she's like oh no, no, no, no, no no, then another woman, her, his wife, must have been went over and they're quite old. And Ben was clapping.
Dan: Nice.
Gav: Because Ben, who I was with, obviously you know Ben from who filmed Sanctuary Me, which I hope everybody's watching now Stoller, Sanctuary Me and Deb Bolt YouTube. Go and check it out.
Dan: Just over 9000 views as we speak. Keep watching it. Remember people.
Gav: He was the one who was in the cinema at the time and ended up having a fight with someone because their phone was on. I think I said it on here before. Possibly he was in the cinema once Someone's looking at her phone. It pissed him off so much he went over and he took their phone and put it in their drink.
Dan: Oh my god.
Gav: So he started having a punch up with the guy and he dragged him out of the cinema screen and then came back and sat down and watched the rest of the movie.
Dan: I mean, I've had words with people, I've had arguments with people. I couldn't do that.
Gav: I've had a fuck with you.
Dan: I remember watching Jason X with my friend Rob. You know, rob, and there were some kids in there that were talking all the way through it and, although it's just a Jason movie, I went over to them and I said, right, are you all going to give me my money back? And they looked at me and I said are you all going to give me my money back? And they said what do you mean? I said, well, we've all paid to watch this film, but all I'm hearing is you guys talking. So no, you should prepare to give me my money back. Shut the fuck up and let us, the rest of us in here Enjoy it. And I got a bit of a clap from three or four people in there and Rob hated it. He turned into a turtle. He put his head down into his shirt. He's like why did you do that? I said because I'm sorry. I was trying to enjoy this film and I got these dickheads chatting away and another guy I remember another film I was in a guy was using his phone and listening to music and then he lit a cigarette. And that was the point. I stood up and I went. I think I knocked the cigarette before he lit it out of his hand and I said are you seriously about to light a cigarette? I don't care if you smoke, I'm not opposed to smoking, but we're in a cinema. I've had to listen to your music playing off your phone. What are you thinking? And I was like no, no, he was like a young lad. He thought he was a bit of a gangster outside him and his mates came over and tried to have a word with me and I just said I can't remember what he said. Now I was younger. I just said shut up or something you know, get out of my face.
Gav: They're noisy now guys.
Dan: These days they would sadly. Or if it was in America. You know that guy in the Batman film.
Gav: Nice to get and film it yeah.
Dan: Put it on TikTok.
Gav: Anyway. So Thanksgiving, yeah, I wish it had been more tension. I feel like it outlived it's welcome a little bit, but at the same time I was happy to go to the cinema as a horror fan who loves slasher movies to watch Thanksgiving. But it's not like April Fool's Day or Halloween or Friday 15th. It was a themed movie and I'm kind of hoping there isn't a part two, because there's no fucking need to be one. It should just be a one and done, and that is it. If it, I don't know if it done well, fair play.
Dan: I hope not. He doesn't really Fair play done in cinema.
Gav: But he has got some help with his name.
Dan: He doesn't tend to do many sequels I mean Hostel 2 and Hostel 3, but he was only really a producer on those and then Cabin Fever got two sequels and then, weirdly, they remade Cabin Fever Like only five years after it came out, which I don't think I've seen the remake.
Gav: I think a remade, actually Eli's exact script.
Trailer Voice: It's very strange.
Gav: But after there was a remake or something I can't remember.
Dan: So I'm a fan of Eli Roth, as you know, for the most part.
Gav: That's Toy West, you realize yes that's right. And he's tried to have his name taken off it.
Dan: And he can't do it Hilarious. Well, I link in that director to another director that I'm a bit of a fan of and a lot of people think he's a bit up his own arse, but I don't mind. Is Kevin Smith and I watched finally. Only came out last year, but I finally got around to watching Clerks 3. I don't know if you've seen Clerks 3.
Gav: No.
Dan: Okay, really.
Gav: I don't actually. Is it a new thing?
Dan: Yeah, 22, 2022. Oh, no, no, no, yeah. So I only just watched it last week and I was really, really into it. And yes, it is a very self-referential, as all of Kevin Smith movies are, but I know that and that's why I kind of like them. And this film is about Dante having a heart attack, just like Kevin Smith did. This is why he wrote it, because it's all about having a heart attack and reviewing your life and sort of thinking, shit, what am I doing? And then Dante and I can't remember his friend's name now, the other one, the goatee they end up they're going to make a movie about what it's like to be working in the Clerks shop, you know, and it's kind of very self-referential, but it's good and it had me crying at the end with some stuff that happens and it's definitely the end of those Clerks movies. And I love Kevin Smith. People often slay him, but I think when he first came out he was like so cutting edge and his writing is incredible and maybe he lost his way a little bit somewhere in the middle, but I'll always go for him. So, a bit like Eli Roth, I will always check out anything Eli and Kevin Smith do. I do like those guys. So, yeah, I just wanted to mention Clerks 3 I thought that was a really good movie the only other movie I've watched really it's worth mentioning. Don't know if you've heard of this. It came out in 1982. It's a bit of an old one, but I sat down and watched the film by a director, but what's his name? John Carpenter. Yeah, the Thing. Have you seen the Thing, gav?
Gav: Not seen it. What's it about?
Dan: Not heard of that one. Yeah, I was a bit boring, to be honest.
Gav: No, I'm what's it about?
Dan: It's about an alien. Now, I'm, of course, joking. It's a 10 out of 10 film and I've re-watched it because it's been about a year probably since I've watched it. And all I'll say is because we've all reviewed it and everybody knows what the Thing is. But that film, honestly, honestly, it gets better, and the more I watch it, the more I realise just how perfect that film is really. Okay, yes, it has flaws, only because it's aging and some of the effects don't hold up quite as well. But at the same time, no one was doing anything like that in 1982. And the story, the characters, the acting, it's just. I just get sucked into that word within two minutes of the credits rolling. And man, it's just, the weather's turned and it's one of those films you put on when it's a bit snowy or a bit cold. I just wanted to mention it because you know we love it. Yeah, that's what I mean. We love it.
Gav: Yeah, cool. I've actually put up my Christmas tree already and the weather has turned. It's really cold. I'm in my dressing gown Quite often. I'm here at the top list Not that the listeners can see these things In the summertime, but I thought I'm going to go. Well, I class this. You have to, because we've got Pink Light on the cardigan. Sorry, dressing gown.
Dan: You look just like him.
Gav: Yeah, I did, do I.
Dan: No.
Gav: He's dead, isn't he? Yes?
Dan: That's the only couple of movies I wanted to talk about Other than Thanksgiving. Is there anything else you've watched or you wanted to talk about?
Gav: Not really, and we recorded, oh my God, only last week. So, yeah, there's you know. Yeah, I'm happy to get the fuck into it.
Dan: Well, let's get into New York. So before we have our first trailer and we're going to talk about Basket Case first of all just wanted to talk around New York, specifically New York in the early 80s, and then I've got a few recommendations for New York set horror films and early 80s creature features for anybody who wants to get a taste of Basket, case and Shard, and if you like those movies and you want some recommendations and you probably would have seen a lot of these anyway. But but first of all let's talk about New New York. Can you do your New York accent please? Go New York. Can you say can you give me that coffee please?
Gav: Give me that coffee. Wow, hey, give me that coffee. It doesn't even sound like New York. Sounds like I was trying to get more urban or something. I'm walking here hey.
Dan: They're all just walking.
Trailer Voice: Yeah, you guys, I always go a bit, I always go a bit.
Dan: Italian, Italian Mafioso, with my New York accent really, or I go quite Jewish. It's one of the two. It's hard to do.
Gav: I can't see. This is the thing. I can't just be like performing monkey with me impressions. I need to like watch something, and then what I do? I'm like a parrot I watch and I'll just start working it, and working it, and working it, and then I'll get exact sort of tone and the reflection and stuff. I can't, but I can't throw it in like I'm a dancing fucking monkey.
Dan: Oh well, you'll always be a dancing monkey to me. Well, let's talk about New York first of all, just very briefly. So in late seventies, as covered in Gav's other podcast, you had quite a lot going on in New York. In the late seventies you had the summer of Sam, or the son of Sam. You had all the blackouts, you had rat infestations, trash strikes, riots, murder. You had the guardian angels, vigilantes. So New York is literally it's like you couldn't write it really and some of the movies that came out, like Warriors and stuff like that, they are all sort of. There is a little bit of truth to some of these movies in some ways, but obviously, if you want to do, check that episode out.
Gav: It's episode 66 of the hottest, strangest podcast. Even if you know all this to any of the other ones, check that episode out. We sort of really went in and talked about the whole trash thing stuff. We're going in looking at the seventies with son of Sam and killer and stuff where the movies today and the crack and the coke and a lot of the things did still carry on flowing through a lot of trash problems and stuff like that. So obviously just one of those things into the eighties, but that episode's on the seventies, if you want to check that out. Of all New York and the weird stuff going on and the killings and the shit like that and the guardian angels and, like you say, all that stuff did sort of spill over into the eighties. Well, what you're going to end up having is just I'm not saying it, possibly and possibly not the CIA bringing crack and coke into New York and just dropping it into the areas where they'd already been, like no, we don't want to go there. You police it yourselves with all the gangsters and all that shit, and just it just then went. But then you also had the Wall Street boom as well, and then the cocaine involved with that. Just watched Wall Street with Charlie Sheen. So it's a weird time. Seventies and eighties in New York Very strange time. And then. So we had movies like this. What we've got coming out?
Dan: Yeah. And so to paint a picture of New York itself before we look into horror films and stuff, new York in the very early eight to mid eighties it was just so there's a lot of originality and creativity come out of it. Hip hop although hip hop was born in the late seventies really came out proper. You had run DMC Beastie Boys, you had Big Daddy Kane, you had Rackim and Eric B, you had. Hip hop was really becoming this underground creative platform. The fashion, you know the slang, the way people spoke, rap, the DJ, all that stuff you had and sadly, some linked into that. You also had a bit of a crack epidemic that was still spilling over. Aids was reported for the first time in the very in like in 1980, 81. And that was a big thing because everyone was quite free with their sex until AIDS came on Almost on a reckless sort of time as well. Yeah.
Gav: When the knowledge about starting around of AIDS is still being slightly reckless at time.
Dan: Well, I think the word I would use, gav, is excess. There was a lot of excess and there was another. You can look at yuppies, because the yuppie culture came out of the early eighties Cocaine, having money, driving around in sports cars so there was a real divide between the poor and the rich. There was a lot of urban legends, which we may or may not get into for word, of the strange as well, because New York is a big, very vast city with a lot of people living there of all types of life, all backgrounds, religions, colors, creeds, sexes, and you can be a very rich man, like Donald Trump was, you know, living in New York, or you can be an underground rapper who's got no money, but everyone in your hood respects you because you're well known and then there's or be someone who actually lives underground, and there was.
Gav: Doc Day, a really good documentary, a music by DJ Shadow about the people who lived underneath the New York yeah, actually underground, which is cheaper, and they felt safer and they made a little city under New York, which is crazy.
Dan: And that's what I find so fascinating about New York is literally from underground all the way to the very high skyscraper. There's so much activity and it really is a city that doesn't sleep. Like I said, I've been there twice. I went there exactly one month after 9-11 happened. Sadly, we wouldn't have gone really had we been able to cancel all our holiday, but we wouldn't have lost a lot of money had we done that.
Gav: So we still went. I had two different groups of friends that were at New York and I live in from Farnham, oh right and they were in their windows watching it.
Dan: Yeah, I spoke to a guy. It's crazy. I may or may not have bought some weed from a guy in Washington Park, which is very near where the trade centers were, and I asked him what happened on the day and he said he was smoking a big joint and he saw the first plane hit and sat down, finished the joint, and then the other plane hit and he put the joint. He said he'd almost finished the joint. The second plane hit, he put the joint down and he thought and he didn't smoke for about a week after that. He couldn't quite get his head around what he'd just seen and it was a very eerie time to go there. It was still smoking. Actually four weeks after there was still smoke coming off of the ground zero. It was crazy. So I went there then. But then I also took Alice there, about 11 years ago now, one of our first holidays together. I came into a very small amount of money, nothing to write home about, and I was able to treat Alice to a really lovely holiday in New York for a week and we went there then and we experienced what I would say real New York very lots going on 24, seven, those fires and those fire, engines whizzing past, people chatting, industry, everyone's got energy and excited and it's also a little bit dangerous. But also, you know, it's just all going on there and it's a great city to visit. Just be. I would say, be careful that obviously with any big city there are areas you probably wouldn't want to go into and you would want to stick to the mainly the touristy bits. But it is a great, great city and it was fantastic to be there and see things like Statue of Liberty and all these monuments and areas that you've seen so many films, you know going to Central Park. How many movies have been set there? You know Highlander, ghostbusters, so many. But it's a great city and obviously another reason I loved it was, like you said, gav, new York hip hop was kind of born there really, so it was great to sort of see all that and the murals.
Gav: It's a very good skateboard scene as well.
Dan: Yeah, it's. I mean, there's honestly a scene, whatever you're into there's a scene for it there as well.
Gav: Yeah, on six. It's all there, yeah.
Dan: All right, cool. So that's New York. So let's talk about some horror movies that are set in New York, just briefly, and we've covered some of these already. Some of these we haven't, but there's some quite famous ones, like King Kong and all of its remakes, you know, obviously, ending on the Empire State Building, you don't get much more famous shot than that, really, of King Kong himself, even movies like Rory's and Rory's Baby. You've got Sisters Driller Killer, which Gav mentioned, cruising, which you watched recently with Sarah I did, and that was an experience. Yeah, the Ghostbusters 1 and 2.
Gav: You know, I think you always said Sarah says why did I pick this for my birthday episode? Why?
Dan: Why American Psycho is obviously set there and that is that yuppie culture. We were talking about Wolfen, you know that kind of comes into the.
Gav: I like Wolfen.
Dan: Yeah, and that falls into the category of like basket case chard of a really gritty.
Gav: We covered it, didn't we?
Dan: Did we cover it? I don't think we did.
Gav: No, we didn't. We should do, though. Yeah, I wouldn't mind covering that.
Dan: Yeah, Even the first Howling movie, the majority of that is set in New York as well. There are so many movies that are set there. The Sentinel Jason takes Manhattan, although it's only the last five minutes of that, Ray shows up in Manhattan. I'm pretty sure it was filmed in like Canada or somewhere. I think it was in Vancouver, I think you're right. Cloverfield Godzilla, you know, the one that we like, the 90s Godzilla. So there's a ton of. Is there ever been a Godzilla? No, but there should be, right, A fish movie. Yeah, yeah, there should be. So there is a lot of horror movies set in New York. There's a lot of movies, obviously, but horror movies specifically. But let's move slightly adjacent to that and talk about this era or era of horror. So the very early 80s where, like I said to you, the effects guys were the rock stars Now, I've already talked about the thing you know from 1982, but it was. There was just this thing happening in horror in the very early 80s.
Gav: The thing Rob Bould, rob Bould, heane as effects is a little bit higher than these.
Dan: No yes, of course Okay, but I'm just talking about creature feature effects, horror movies like the Blob, yep, the remake of the Blob.
Gav: The Blob is amazing. The remake of the Blob.
Dan: Gremlins came out around this time as well, you know, and that was really pushing. You know the effects, boundaries, you know the stuff which we've covered as well, even critters In the early to mid-80s. A lot of the more successful, whether on VHS or whether at the cinema. A lot of the more successful horror movies were creature films, like the Fly, anything with special effects on it, predator, pumpkin Head. There's a ton of them really and it's a I would highly recommend and probably say that anything from 1980 to 85, the effects are going to be practical and they're going to be some pushing boundaries. They're competing with each other, so they're going to probably show you something you've not seen before. Or try and do something Doesn't always work, but try and do something you've never quite seen before. My last thing I'm going to say before we go into our trailer is and although Wolfen and Parts of the Howling was set in New York because New York is like this urban jungle, this concrete jungle you've never had a proper werewolf movie set there. How good would a werewolf movie be in New York? You know Central Park, running around all the buildings at night.
Gav: Yeah, because Wolfen kind of allures to that in a way. Yeah, totally.
Dan: What about an English werewolf in New York? What about if someone was to remake that? It will not remake it, but like do a late sequel.
Gav: Uh, I don't know.
Dan: What about Sting's? I'm an alien in New York If.
Gav: Sting could be a werewolf.
Dan: Yes, in New York, that'd be a bit shit there, I'm a werewolf. He's a bit shit there. You know I'm a werewolf. Sadly one of the only sadly one of the only vampire films really that happens in New York is one that I know that you're not a fan of, and that's Eddie Murphy's Vampire in Brooklyn.
Gav: I'm not gonna say like I'm not a fan, like explicitly, like walking down the street with a fucking board saying I'm not a fan of Vampire in Brooklyn, like I don't know. I'm not gonna jump out saying that I'm a fan either. I don't remember it, but I don't remember it being good. I only watched it once. It's not that great. It's one of those times back in the day when, before boys and girls, before the internet and all that shit, when you have a girlfriend, what should we do? Should we go get a movie? Should we get a sp it's something to do. Wanted to the video shop, spend some time, bring it back, put it on. I hope it's not a shit. Vampire in Brooklyn, just don't remember. It's not that good.
Dan: But there we go, guys. So that is a taste of what New York is all about at this time, and I want to say that I'm and also the sort of horror movies that we're out and about. So Large apples, the big old, the big old apple, the city, so nice, they named it twice. So, yeah, bear all of that in mind when we talk about Basket Case and Chud, Because they both sort of allude to especially Chud, some urban legends and stuff. So but before we go to Chud, we're gonna talk about Basket Case and not the song by Green Day, which is a great song, by the way. You know the song there. You go yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah of course, do you have the time to listen to me?
Gav: Great song. Yeah, we're going to do that, because then we'll start singing.
Dan: So no like on the last episode where we can't be saying thanks to Rachel for that. We ended up singing Postman Pan is Black and White Cat the five times Yep. Thank you for your feedback, rachel. I'm glad you enjoyed that episode, by the way. Yes, all right. Well, that's New York. That's horror movies in the early 80s. Should we take a little break and have a trailer for the older?
Gav: Basket Case. Okay, yeah, here's the trailer.
Trailer Voice: What is the secret Dwayne is hiding in the basket. What's in the basket? Easter eggs? What's in the basket? Clothes.
Gav: What's in the basket?
Trailer Voice: What's in the basket I've found it. What's in the basket? Open it, if you dare. Basket Case.
Dan: Okay, so our first film of the episode is Basket Case from 1982. It's only an hour and 30 minutes, wasn't rated at the time it came out. Here's the synopsis A young man carrying a big basket that contains his extremely deformed, formerly conjoined twin brother seeks vengeance on the doctors who separated them against their will. Directed by Frank Hennan-Lotter, who I think also did Frank and Hooker and a couple of other movies with a similar style, that's another 80s New York movie. So with this one, with this movie, this was one of those ones, like I mentioned earlier, where I walk into the video store and I'd see Basket Case and you'd see the eyes peeking out of the basket on the front and you think what is this about? And you read the back, you know, and that's an opposite. I've just read out. You want to see it as a kid. You want to see this deformed creature living in a basket. You know you didn't want to see it. Don't show him.
Gav: I'm going to the video shop and like, in a way, you did have a lot of horror titles when the boom of VHS came out. At the same time you didn't have a huge range, if that makes sense as well. And I don't know the mutant type subgenre I've never been a fan of. Really I don't want to see like groves.
Dan: Yeah.
Trailer Voice: I mean you're not fully in. Yeah, you're not.
Dan: I know I'm body horror. Yeah, I was going to say, and I think the same with Chud, really Chud's front cover, American Werewolf. In London, you know there's a lot of horror movie covers that stood out when you're looking around the shelves. I used to read the back of this box all the time and I didn't probably see it until probably when I was in my 15 or 16.
Gav: I did watch this a few times when I was younger, did you?
Dan: Well, what I would say is it's a very, very, very, very low budget film. They do very well with what they've got. There are some.
Gav: There's one scene. Later on we get to and I'll say about now. He goes to visit a vet with his basket and he turns up and he's like hello, I'm here with my cat and she's like, okay, come in. Okay, he goes into the river and then she's like he's like, actually, it's not my cat, life brought here for you to see. Oh, what is it? At that point I expected him to get his cock out and it to be porn. It was like this has to be porn. The act was so wooden. It was like this is almost out of boogie nice. It was like what the fuck? It was funny. It was funny as fuck in a very sweet way.
Dan: Well, they were working with barely a budget. Apparently, the amount of money he's got he carrying around with him in his hotel room in the scenes, that was the actual budget for the film.
Gav: Amazing, probably about you know, less than $10,000. So they had to film those shots first then, otherwise they wouldn't have had the money later on.
Dan: And then go out and spend the money on everything. It's so funny and it does feel like this could. This is like a more sinister version of a trauma film. Do you know what I mean? There's and it does deal with some not tough subject matter, because it's quite unbelievable at times. But also we have heard of stories of conjoined twins and people who've got their twin inside them, and we've recently had that movie, malignant with conjoined twins and stuff. So that's kind of something that fastened, always fascinated me anyway.
Gav: Really, it's a fairly unusual subject. You have, of course, have twins now they're not conjoined.
Dan: They're not conjoined, they're not part of me.
Gav: Sometimes you're probably like I wish you both were conjoined, because then you wouldn't be like I wouldn't be able to look over there. Then what if you run over there? You'd be in the same spot the whole time.
Dan: Yeah, but one of them runs in one direction and the other does the other. That's fine. Some of this film can be quite harrowing, especially with the stuff when he's younger and he's having the operation and there's a lot of screaming and stuff Like my wife kept popping her head back in the room. It's been screaming for ages.
Gav: I watched it earlier and I've got the dog with me like I said earlier, old beansie and at one point a lady started screaming and I had to turn it down about five decibels and the order controller because the dog was not liking it and I was like fuck me, that is loud and long.
Dan: But it's a great idea. And the idea came about because the writer thought of the phrase basket case and thought well, what would that be like as a horror film if someone had a basket with something in it? And then he came up with a whole conjoined twin thing.
Gav: Yeah, I assumed it came out. I was thinking about it as we watched it, like oh, they came up with it first because basket case was like a saying as such.
Dan: Yeah, Now I do think that this film has a great plot and you're probably not going to think that, but the acting obviously doesn't always stand up very well. But I do think it's a great story in that it's a revenge film about a guy and we're going to spoil this obviously off the bat, but we'll get into the story properly in a minute. But it's a revenge film about a guy who used to have a conjoined twin. He was forced to have that twin removed from him. The twin didn't die. He keeps it a basket and they go around hunting down the doctors that did this to them.
Gav: It's quite dark, it sounds like a Cronenberg movie. Maybe Cronenberg should like remake it. If Cronenberg and I'm not watching that and Sarah be all over it.
Dan: And what's the? Is it Lloyd Kaufman from Troma?
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: If him and Cronenberg sat together, got drunk in the early 80s, this would be what they came up with.
Gav: Oh my God, what sort of a love child for film would that be?
Dan: There'd be a lot of New York cocaine in it as well, which I should imagine there was in this behind the scenes on this. That's probably where a lot of that budget went. In fact, some of those notes were rolled up, so that wouldn't be surprised me, no, okay, well, let's, let's get into it. So we start off with Dwayne, our hero, if you will, played by Kevin van Hettenreich. He has got Brian Mayhair. His hair is pretty big, isn't it? Garth Huge.
Gav: Goddamn this movie, like at times I was just like trying to just watch the film and it just doesn't matter what was on the screen, any dialogue, it could be the fucking, the most magical words you only hear and you could die like then and be happy with eternal happiness. These certain words, and I wouldn't be able to hear them because looking at his fucking hair, yeah, it's fucking massive.
Dan: It is a big hair, it's fucking huge.
Gav: It's so big and at times the camera's like down, looking upwards, like why are you choosing this angle? Like what are we doing here?
Dan: Yeah, it's pretty big, is it?
Gav: like a bird with plumage, like I'm going to attract you with this. It's not a good afro. It's not like a good good afro. It's a bad afro.
Dan: It's not a good solo. Well, it's a white man. It's a Brian May. Yeah, it's a Brian May, brian May's afro it's Brian May's hair. Well, we start off with Dwayne, and he's Dwayne as well. So we don't start with him. We actually start off with a little bit of a bit with the guy in the bushes outside his house.
Gav: Is he called Dwayne then?
Dan: Dwayne Bradley yeah.
Gav: He's not doing well in life, is he? He's got a horrible star Right. Let's call him Dwayne.
Dan: He's got a nice auntie, though it will talk about when we get to her. Okay, so we start off with a guy who is a doctor and he's leaving his house. He can hear something in the bushes creeping about. There's some really good camera work here.
Gav: I kind of didn't mind this. It's kind of made me think of like a real late night as a kid turn over to tell him it's a whole movie on. You don't want this, you just turn it on to it. It's things like that.
Dan: Yeah, and this doctor is chased back into his house by these noises. He hears something climbing around on the roof, he hears breathing and he tries to call the cops, but his phone's been cut. And then we just see this horrible, gnarly mutant hand pop up from the bottom of the screen, grabbing.
Gav: And he says no, no, no.
Dan: And then it closes his face off pretty much, and that's the start. And then we head over to New York City and this is where we meet Dwayne. So Dwayne, not only does he have giant hair, he's trying to be inconspicuous, he also has a giant fucking basket that he carries everywhere. He goes with him everywhere. You know, if you're looking for this guy, the cops are like I think it was a, what did the guy look like? Giant hair, giant basket. Right, We'll find him in minutes. Easy, easy to spot.
Gav: Brian May just taking a towel out of his hands and put a basket into it.
Dan: Just think of Brian May doing his laundry.
Gav: Get your sketch artist to do Brian May holding a basket. Basket of laundry. He's just like holding it like a tar pose, but a basket.
Dan: Well, he's walking through the streets of New York and you know, some guys, hey, buddy, what do you want? Upperers, downers, coke, weed, I got it all and he's trying to sell it. And you know, we see prostitutes or sex workers, we see drug dealers, we see pimps, we see every type of life. As he's walking through New York and he comes across a hotel.
Gav: Classic guy at the desk, classic kind of greasy guy.
Dan: He looks like if Bob Hoskins let himself go.
Gav: Oh, that's not good is it. You know he's like a chubby white vest with braces over the top of it, because Bob Hoskins wasn't sort of George Cleaning it up on it every day, was he?
Dan: Rest in peace. But yeah, I know what you mean. But this guy is just like he's running the hotel. When Dwayne asks for a room, he's like well, how long do you want it for? Do you want it for an hour? Do you want it for a day? Do you want it for a year? Basically, this hotel really is mainly for people to come and pay sex workers for an hour or two of their time.
Gav: I lived at a hotel for two weeks.
Dan: You did when you fucked your backup.
Gav: I don't think I know about this other trip.
Trailer Voice: Yeah, carry on.
Dan: Okay. So, yes, he goes to the hotel, he gets a room and the guy's like I need money up front. He's like, okay, yeah, sure, here's the money. Seems to have a lot of money and all the drunks that hang around on the reception desk are like that guy's loaded.
Gav: The dudes. I've a bit weird, which I think they're probably thinking he's a bit how. They might look at him as simple. They might look at him a bit less intelligent. The fact is just wondering around his basket from the start, but yeah, just pulling out a lot of money. You just you don't do it, you don't do it now.
Dan: And they say to him what's in the basket and he's like, oh, just some of my personal possessions. Okay, so he goes up to his room.
Gav: I'd be like serial killer, definitely a head in that.
Dan: Great, perhaps his head is in that. As he heads up to the room he walks past a sex worker or prostitute or a hooker. If you want to be in the New York eighties, called Casey and she takes a shine to him. She does. She is ushering a punter into a room as she does it, but she also looks at him and sort of says, hey honey, welcome to the hotel At the same time.
Gav: She's just been naÃ¯ve and she's probably just like trying to just live her life. She just happens to like bang for her job.
Dan: That's like you know, yeah, so he gets in, gets into his room and he puts the basket down on the chest of drawers and he whispers to it. We're here. And you think, oh, hang on a minute, he's talking to the basket. What's going on?
Gav: Yeah. So I went into this again. I've seen it before, but I went into this again without kind of knowing anything and it was only like later on I was like, oh, it's a revenge film later on when there's a doctor killing going on, so for me. So I was trying to imagine it as if you just went to the cinema back in the day like you would when this came out, this would've been straight for the New York cinema.
Dan: That people in there Imagine seeing that in the New York cinema in 92.
Gav: Grimy and and. But yeah, with the audience, you don't know what is in the basket. You're yet to find out as much as I am. So I was like Okay, I'm going to play it like that. He might know what it is, but I was playing that, so that's what I'm going to do so.
Dan: he goes out by some junk food, some burgers and some fries, and comes back and locks the basket and starts throwing food in and you hear like a disgusting eating noises.
Gav: He's chatting away to it as well. I'm throwing in cheeseburgers.
Dan: Yeah, he says um, we need to find this doctor in the phone book. So let me just could be, could be anything. And he says, oh damn it, the person we're looking for in this phone book isn't in the book. We'll have to go to one of their ex colleagues and see if they've got the address. So he's setting something up. We know that him and whatever's in this basket are looking for a doctor at this point.
Gav: How's the thing? In a basket, whatever he's feeling, cause I'm pretending I don't know. How does it shit?
Dan: Well, I should imagine it's got a? Well, it's got a penis. Because it's someone, well it fucks that girl, doesn't?
Gav: it. I don't remember this and that was a bit shocking earlier.
Dan: And also in case two is or is it three? Three he finds out that his brother has got a kid, so it's made a baby in the basket. Case three oh dude. So if it's got a willy, it's got a bum gap, which means it can do a poo. Does he have to wipe his brother's bum, or does?
Gav: it, do it himself.
Dan: It spends a lot of time sat in the toilet as well, bilal, doesn't he?
Gav: This is a greasy strangler.
Dan: By the way, the creature is brother, is called Bilal, so we will at times refer to him by his real name. So so in the middle of the night he wakes up and it's very good, cheap way of doing this because they don't have to provide a voice for the creature, for the most part because it can talk to him telepathically. And he wakes up in the middle of the night, Dwayne, and he's like no, look, I'm trying to sleep. Please just let me sleep, Not now, We'll deal with it all in the morning. And he's just talking to himself, but he's actually linked telepathically to his brother. So, um, yeah, that'll come into play a bit later on. So the drunk guy from downstairs is curious about what's in Dwayne's room and he starts like loitering outside and the prostitute Casey, who he said is taking a shine to him. She says stop leaving me alone. He's just a young lad with a basket, Don't worry about it, Let him get on with his own business. We've all got our own weird business in this hotel. So Dwayne says I'm going to go and visit my doctor friend now, and I'll take my basket with me. And this is Dr Needleman, he reminds. I was going to say he reminds me a bit of Peter Jackson's doctor in um brain dead and not Peter Jackson but that you know the doctor in brain dead that injects. You know he's got a Nazi symbol on his arm and that's very gross. What are you going to say?
Gav: The receptionist takes uh takes a fancy to him.
Dan: Oh God, she's attracted to his hair. Have you seen his massive?
Gav: hair, she, she has red flags all over it. Later on, when she fucking stalks him, she says with the minutes of him being there.
Dan: She says, if you, so you're new to New York and he's like, yeah, he could be there for an STD. She says have you been to the World Trade Tower? No, what?
Gav: I guess she should know what he's got.
Dan: Have you been to the Statue of Liberty? No, what? And she's really cross that he's not been to any of these places. And then she says well, maybe I could be your New York city tour guide.
Gav: She's well into it.
Dan: And he's sort of like should she be checking, trying to chat up like patients. I think. I think she's pretty desperate, um, but uh, he says tell the doctor I need to have my chest examined. So she says, all right, I'll do that. And we cut to Dwayne leaving. So we don't see what happens in that doctor surgery. But Dwayne leaves and she this is where she says to him what I'm trying to say here is do you want to go on a date with me? And he's like no, no, I can't, I can't. And then he goes and puts the basket down at the other end of the room and he comes back over to her and whispers yes, I actually would like to go on a date with you. And this is so below. His brother doesn't hear.
Gav: She's like why are we whispering so he doesn't hear who the doctor?
Dan: I know it's funny. Um, so he's now been in New York for 12 hours, he's already got a date and he's already lined up his first sort of kill. And what does he do to celebrate? He goes to watch a kung fu movie in a theater. Yeah, so we cut to a really badly dubbed kung fu film and he's watching it with with his basket next to him by the way when he's in a doctors.
Gav: We did see him about a shirt on. He had a massive scar on his side.
Dan: That's right. And the doctor says well, we come back to the doctor in a minute. So while he's in the cinema, what looks like a bit of a sex prover is watching him and you think is he going to come over and try molesting or something?
Gav: He's just waiting for any opportunity.
Dan: He's not as soon as he falls asleep because Duane's very tired this guy steals the basket.
Gav: Yeah Well he wakes up next to him and the basket is gone.
Dan: And he runs.
Gav: He runs off to the men's toilet with it and kicks open drops it on the floor, kicks the padlock that breaking off of it opens it up. But we've seen from the camera looking outwards and we still don't see what it is.
Dan: No, but we do see the look of horror on this thief's face and we hear lots and lots of screaming and his face gets completely slashed. Duane runs in and he says no, no, not yet. Save it. Save it from when you really need to do it. Yeah, and there's blood everywhere and he just runs off with the basket. And then we cut to Dr Cutter. What a name, dr Cutter. That's her name, dr Judith Cutter. She's having dinner with a guy in her apartment. She is offering it to him on a plate here.
Gav: Prepare for name as Dr.
Dan: Dr Dr Cutter.
Gav: Dr Dr.
Dan: Okay, what, dr. Dr? I think I there's a joke here. You're going to tell me a joke.
Gav: No, really.
Dan: Okay, right. So yes, dr Cutter is having dinner with this man and he says, oh, I'm going to get drunk if I keep drinking. She's like, well, that's my plan. And she gets a phone call and the phone call is from Dr Needleman and he says a man has just been into my office, a man that matches the description of that boy that we removed something from. We did that operation on him and he had a big scar all down him and he wants to know you know about what the other doctors that were involved. And he told me that Dr Liv Lander is dead and this is the guy from the opening scene. And she says Well, we thought he might come back around at some point. She doesn't seem bothered by the fact that this kid is now hunting her down. She goes back to her dinner date and probably ends up bonking that man that's in her apartment. She's got one trap mind Yep Sexy, sexy sexy. One trap, mind. Dr Cutter cut back to shower in the receptionist. She leaves the doctors and Dwayne empties the basket and he says Right is, the coast is clear. Whatever is in there, empties out onto the floor and he says to his brother Go in there and get the address book as quick as you can. I'll be waiting in the alleyway downstairs. So he's waiting outside and Bilal is in the office and the doctor, Dr Neal, and here's a noise. And he goes out and the door is off its hinges and he thinks Okay, something bad's going to happen here. I need to barricade myself in my office with all my desks. Yep, Lights are all out. Here's a noise. Goes into another room, turns the light on and what does he see? Gav.
Gav: So for the first time he sees our bro ski Bilal. Now it looks like Harvey Wine Steen's hemorrhoid.
Dan: Fucking hell. That is terrifying. I've got to say and I remember seeing this for the first time that it was quite a terrifying first shot of him, because he's, he doesn't really talk, he just sort of screams.
Gav: I know it's quite disturbing. Actually I found it when I was when he was on screen. It was on the screen. It's quite disturbing.
Dan: It's like a testicle with arms and a face. I don't like it, but somehow he's on the wall. I guess he's really strong and he's on the wall and he kills this guy.
Gav: It was suckers Like an octopus.
Dan: Well, he does call him. Later on he says my brother looks like a deformed octopus.
Gav: Blood's kind of like the hammer horror blood.
Dan: Yeah, he rips his guts out of his stomach, doesn't he?
Gav: Yeah, and he can, and he's you know, he's dying it also kind of looks like that dude who thinks he's the head shit at Jabba Hutt's Palace at the front Got a big, big.
Dan: Thing coming out of his head.
Gav: It looks like he's love child or something.
Dan: Yeah, a big fortuna. The one who's got the big squid things coming out of his head. Yeah, I mean he is. He's pretty hot shit, Gav. He's Jabba's like right at her man, he's his translator, you know, he sort of brings people in.
Gav: I think he thinks. I think he thinks he's bigger than he is.
Dan: I know what you mean.
Gav: But Luke takes him down a page, doesn't he?
Dan: So fuck it, fuck big fortuna. So, yes, so Dwayne's waiting outside in the alleyway and we hear what? We see the shadow of Bilal, and Bilal's come out the window and he's got the address book. He pops him back in the basket and he says excellent, this is great, Everything's going to plan. We cut to the morning and Dwayne's feeding some rural sausages into the basket now.
Gav: Is that like a new saying?
Dan: I'm going to feed my rural sausage into the basket.
Gav: Feed my sausages into the basket.
Dan: But? But talking of such things, dwayne also, although he's on a mission with his brother to kill these doctors, he's also on a mission to get his end away.
Gav: Feed my sausage into your basket.
Dan: Because he is so excited about this date, he's got Said to Bishop With the lady the receptionist, so he's bought a fucking TV, a cheap knockoff TV, and he says to Bilal, I love it, I've got to go out and case the place.
Gav: Yeah, it's cable TV for you. Here's some.
Dan: TV, oh, and there's some newspapers there as well. If you get bored, see you later. And he just runs off.
Gav: He's just happy to fly on the wall. There's fucking things in there looking at a paper wall TV. He's on the back door.
Dan: What's going on on Wall Street today? Bloody hell, the stocks are up, aren't they?
Gav: What the fuck, what's? He care what's going on.
Dan: Well, he does rip the knob off the TV because he knows, because he can telepathically link. No, he's got a comical.
Gav: I think he just goes oh fucking out of shit. That's the kind of way this hand is. His hand acts in the way of like this is shit, not like aggression.
Dan: Yeah Well, he goes out on the date and he's really you know, that's where he really is, he's not casing Dr Cutter's apartment and he's out on the date and he really, really likes his girl and she really likes him too.
Gav: I struggled the fuck with this part of the movie. I was just like, oh my God, because the camera doesn't move, it just sits there and they talk.
Dan: I would say this is one of the one of the worst on screen on screen kisses I've ever seen.
Gav: The whole thing is killing me. Now, please kill me.
Dan: When they kiss it's like they're trying to eat each other's faces and I guess they're both quite nerdy and they may maybe not have kissed many people, but my God, it's really bad. And when he kisses this girl, obviously he gets a bit excited, but because he's telepathically linked to his brother, bilal, who's still in the hotel room.
Gav: This would make a great X-Files episode.
Dan: Well, there was one like this there was a bit yeah. Yeah, they go to that freak show and there's a guy whose little thing comes off of his body in the night.
Gav: It goes off to the people. And oh yeah. Yeah, that's true, and I was like a telepathic one as well, so yeah, and there's also Total Recall, yeah, so this is good. I can X-Files episode. It would make quite a good one. Yeah, I love the fact the basket case is just about. Basically, he is now acting like a teenager in 2023, when the internet has gone down from all in 10 minutes.
Dan: A teenager made of stop motion animation.
Gav: Yeah, angry, no Getting rowdy.
Dan: I commend them for trying. Stop motion animation sadly never really holds up that well, and it does look weird when it jumps out of the basket and starts. I feel like I'm watching an episode of Morph.
Gav: I don't know. But yeah, but Morph in, like I've just taken bad acid. Yeah Well it made me almost feel not sick, but it's just, I don't know body horror and I know it's not even real and it's fucking clay, most stop motion. But it's saying about it. Maybe just be like, I don't like this.
Dan: Well, Bill Outs screams so loud and he smashes the room so much to TV and everything that every single person in the hotel this isn't.
Gav: Every person is complex.
Dan: And this isn't the first time this will happen, but this happens about four times in the film. Every member of the hotel gatherers.
Gav: They have got nothing else going on. They literally like so got nothing going on. Like you, just stop whatever they're doing at any moment and just go wander around and stand outside someone's room and wonder what's happening.
Dan: Come on, so old sweaty Bob Hoskins look alike. He says right, what the fuck's going on? I've got the key. Obviously, this is my hotel. Let me go in the room. They go in the room and there's no sign of anybody in there. Mystery when is it? Well, there's no one in here. They're all sort of like well, we all heard screaming and noise. And he says right, everybody back out the room, come on, it's time to go.
Gav: One dude knows he's a load of money in the bed.
Dan: Oh the drunk can go. He's like, oh, there's some money in there. So he goes back and he picks the lock with the intention of stealing this big wad of cash.
Gav: Yeah, now there's a point here where he goes over to. He gets the money, then he goes over to the basket. He's looking for more stuff. He opens the basket and they'll bro ski, mutant, mutant, testicle of Harvey Weinstein. Bro ski is there in the basket, but they could have done it and he wasn't there It'd be a lot more tension open up and it wasn't there. Turns around and then jumps at him. You know it's fairly easy. It'd have been a bit better, but you know he hopes it up and he gets it in the face. It's in the face.
Dan: It's quite a good effect. Looks like he's been slashed four times down the face by claws.
Gav: Those bits are pretty good. That happens a couple of times in the film.
Dan: And Dwayne feels that he's killed someone from where he is because again they're linked. So the others come back in the room because they've heard more screaming. So again the entire hotel empties into the room.
Gav: So at this point here it is. I kind of give a bit of a cue to this, actually, because at the moment it wasn't really. I suppose it was kind of a structure. If I broke it down, I really looked at it. But here there really was a kind of midpoint term, but the basket case goes out the window and at this point I was like, does he now go out on the streets of in the city, start causing chaos? That's what I was hoping. It doesn't really happen. He kind of he's at home. Again. I'm a bit confused. You need to help me with what's going on.
Dan: In a parallel universe. I'd love that to have happened.
Gav: That's what I wanted to happen, and that's the most important term. And he then goes out into the New.
Dan: York. Imagine him mugging a skateboarder and then he's wheeling around on a skateboard. He's in arms.
Gav: He could have hanged out of quang from the towels.
Dan: He is a bit like quang from the towels, isn't he? Yeah, oh God, imagine those two being buddies together.
Gav: Well, he just screams the old towels. Nothing could happen there, nothing could get done with it.
Dan: Yeah, Well, Dwayne gets back and the police are there and they're like where have you been? And he's like, oh, I've been on a date.
Gav: The detective here is the best actor in this whole film.
Dan: He's amazing, isn't he?
Gav: He's great, he's done time he isn't that great, but he stands out because no one else is at that level he just comes across as a genuine cop. Yeah, he's just acting, he's just doing the thing without it really stalled. I'm saying lines.
Dan: You know. He says to him okay, so you were on a date and you didn't hear anything. You don't know anything about this. Okay, Interesting. And why have you got so much cash in your hotel room? Okay, Interesting, All right. Well, look, I'm going to probably come back to you for further questioning, Would that be all right? And Dwayne's like yeah, that's absolutely fine, he plays it very cool, Dwayne. It might not be the first time he's had to cover the tracks of his crazy little brother. So they leave and Dwayne looks around thinking well, where the hell is my brother? Well, he's in the toilet. Gal, Of course he's in the toilet.
Gav: Oh, the little hand pops up in the back. Hello, yeah, yeah.
Dan: Now what are you doing there?
Gav: Imagine that, though, in the middle of the night, he goes to the toilet. Oh, he's sitting down.
Dan: Oh, sorry, I've got you in there below. Whoa what was that?
Gav: Well, I'm just caressing your balls. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, oh, I don't want mutant hand crest ball caress.
Dan: Well, they have a telepathic argument. That's one of my songs from the album Mutant ball caress.
Gav: Mutant ball hand. Mutant hand ball caress.
Dan: Wow, by rat or G? Yeah, so they have a telepathic argument about the dates and you know. Basically, we get the impression that Bilal won't allow him to live his own life. Yeah, yeah.
Gav: Well, we figured that because that was a very great at best representation of that, as many went and put the basket down and came back to receptionist and whispered the ongoing date Straight away. It's like, oh, he's hiding it from him because of yeah, something like that. Well, there's almost a similar relationship to Norman Bates and his mother and I use mother in quotation marks, and he's not allowed to ever, you know have a normal life before he loves, because he's got this commitment to this family member, I think that story motif probably happens best in the way you just described it, between the mother and the child. Yeah, the parent and the child.
Dan: Not the deformed octopus brother.
Gav: No, no, not a dude, it is fucking a hemorrhoid mutant brother.
Dan: So he says to at the end look, don't worry, I'll never do it, yeah, I promise. And they sort of their buddies again, ish. And then we cut to a nightclub scene. A dirty, seedy looking nightclub bar, isn't it, gal, everyone's doing everything.
Gav: I imagine they just walked into the nearest bar. Can we film here? Yeah, no worries.
Dan: Oh, Gal, they did. All of this was. 90% of this film is shot gorilla style.
Gav: Yeah, even the naked teens. I know all of the decor was original decor.
Dan: Yeah, the naked scene which comes up later, where he runs on the street naked. To do that, they basically got him in a van with loads of blankets over him and they had another van parked at the end of the block and someone would go out with a brush, brush the sidewalk down all the way to the other end, make sure there was no glass or anything for him to stand on. This was like three in the morning, and then they'd go action and he'd run from one van into the other van and they did that about four times and then edited it together. So if you'd have seen it, you'd have seen this giant Brian May head man running with his dick flapping around.
Gav: He's fine enough. His bush looks like Brian May's hair again.
Dan: Yeah, he's got it up and down, isn't he? Yeah, the collar is much the cuffs. I just noticed it. Yeah, collars and cuffs. Where were we? Oh yeah, so we're in the Seedy Nightclub. And while he's in there, who does he see? He's Casey the sex worker. And she says hey, you're the guy with a basket from the hotel. Listen, I'm getting absolutely fucked off my nut over here. Do you want to come in? Can you come and join me?
Gav: I've never seen people laugh so much drunk loudly in each other's faces because the acting over the acting is just okay. You got drunk. Laugh lots, okay. No, laugh more. You're drunk, okay, okay.
Dan: I kind of like this scene though. Oh, what the fuck. Why did you?
Gav: like it.
Dan: What I like about this scene is he drunkenly reveals the whole plot to her, because they're so drunk.
Gav: I do like that. I'll give you that. It's silly.
Dan: Say again yeah, she thinks he's just been silly. Yeah. Well whoa whoa. I think it's happened At first, until she goes.
Gav: You're creeping me out now.
Dan: Yeah, because she says to him um, look, one thing I want to know about you is what's in the basket? And he says my brother. And she laughs and laughs and she says what is he?
Gav: Yeah, but it keeps going. She's like, and after a while she stops laughing. And then she says you're creeping me out eventually.
Dan: What is he? A midget? And he says, no, we're twins. And she's like what? And he's like, yeah, he's deformed. Our mother died giving birth to us. Ha ha ha, we were attached to the hip, ha ha ha. Now he talks to me in my head and she's like that's when she says, well, you're creeping me out a little bit, because she can tell maybe he's been a bit serious here. And then we get flashbacks. We enter quite a major flashback now.
Gav: It's a flashback. It turns into another fucking movie. It's like scenes. It's not just a flashback with us like one shot, it's scenes. I was like, oh OK, all right.
Dan: So we cut to the day that Duane was born and obviously his mother died giving birth to him and his one mother. This gets a little bit more serious about what you're looking at.
Gav: earlier you sort of said about, Is this part here Because it does come down to an actual question. It comes down to the question of abortion. Basically, yeah, it's really dark, isn't it?
Dan: That's what, essentially, she's sort of saying.
Gav: And then going no, you cut it off Because at least that gives him a chance to live more of the human person. So just what about the other thing? I'll get rid of it, sort of you know. Well, they're saying you know what he says it.
Dan: I'm not calling it anything, it's not my son. Only one of these things is my son. The other one is just a thing, just a growth, so they don't do anything about it for 12 years and it says 12 years later. Excuse me, and their auntie is looking after them.
Gav: You can go look at this from a parent perspective though, if they've done 12 years, they've been trying, and it must be to a point where we need to give him a chance, because you would essentially want to do that. But his dad is caved.
Dan: His dad lost his wife, you know, for the birth of this son and thing attached to it. So he gets to Backstreet Back Alley doctors around to his house who we find out later on. One of them is a vet later on. It's bit gnarly, though. It's just how I hold him down. It's kind of like going into your sort of 70s kind of like you know.
Gav: Like you know, sort of like going into your sort of 70s, kind of like a Satan worshipping top sort of film or something it's real like.
Dan: Like fucking hell. They take the doctor up to the room and the little boy turns around. He's 12 years old and he's got a little baby, bilal, hanging off of his side and it's disturbing to see. Man, yeah, it's disturbing to see and it's the subject matter as well. Really, they overhear everything that's been talked about downstairs, so he kind of understands. I think they're going to try and separate us. You know, this is, this is kid. I hasn't had it easy for 12 years with this thing growing out of his side, you know.
Gav: The head starts making sounds like of a same sort of sounds of the head in Reanimator. Yeah, it's like oh, this is all right, so they they.
Dan: I'm going to go. I don't like this film. They hold down this 12-year-old boy, the doctors and they. He's screaming, he's screaming and so is the head thing, and they managed to knock them out with an injection. Come at it.
Gav: Come Alice, come watch the movie with me. It's a good part.
Dan: And then they get the cutting equipment out and then we hear all this noises of bone cutting and sawing and flash being torn.
Gav: I go I'm going to put my hands up here. I pressed forwards through this bit, did you Only at 0.5, but it would have muted this music sound and it just went through a little bit quicker because I was just not going. Ah, not having a good time here.
Dan: Well, with this scene it tricks you because you think, oh, they're not going to show it, though, they're only we're only hearing it. But then you do see them take Bilal off of Dwayne with a horrible squelchy sound and they say, well, what should we do with him? And he's like, I don't care what you do with it, as long as my son's okay. What do they do with it, garth? They put him in a trash bag.
Gav: I thought they would have injected the thing, the child, the mutant child or something, to put it out as misery or something, or done something, not just put it in the trash and go. Let's hope for the best.
Dan: I would have. Yeah, but they've just think, well, it's probably dead, they're going to be like fuck is this?
Gav: Oh, it's a big groove.
Dan: Oh, it's moving. Well, yeah, dwayne wakes up the morning after the operation and he thinks, well, where's my brother's? Not on my side, this is weird. So he then, he senses him in his brain. So he goes out and this is where he finds the trash bag and it's moving and the arm comes out of it. So he's still alive.
Gav: That sounded like a kind of like a Wu-Tan senses thing, wu-tan Spider-Man altogether.
Dan: And then I don't know why he does this, but he creates a machine now with his brother. They create this big fuck because in the middle of the night his dad wakes up and he hears all this sewing and drilling and he thinks what on earth is this? So he goes downstairs.
Gav: Some actual tension going on here, I'm going to say when his dad starts, he's fucking dick. If a dad wanders around with no fucking shoes or slippers on, or go down to the basement, where this shit which could fuck my feet up and just wander around, he stands on a nail, doesn't he? Yeah, because he's a fucking idiot.
Dan: But anyway there's a slight bit of tension down here. That basement is bigger than my house times two.
Gav: Oh, jesus Christ, you should see this, I was my flat. You've seen this, I was my flat.
Dan: It's like doors within doors within rooms. It's like a mansion down there. But anyway, he wanders around and eventually he sees lots of wood and equipment and thinks someone's been building something down here. And indeed they have. Dwayne and Bilal have put together a device which has got a big buzz saw in the middle, loads of spikes and other cutting implements, and they've set it up like a game of mousetrap where it just flies down a big ramp straight as that and splits him right down the middle.
Gav: Yeah, and we know this because it has to shot loads of floor of legs and feet Falling apart from each other.
Dan: Yeah, Just like in 13 Ghosts, and we the auntie. Then we cut to the auntie saying look, dwayne, I look after you both. Don't worry, I'll cover it all up. But don't worry, I'll tell them. You know, I didn't know anything about it. You're on your right and we get these really disturbing slash touching scenes now.
Gav: Sitting here. I tell you a story about Red Riding Hood.
Dan: Yeah, she's rocking on a rocking chair with Bilal in a blanket.
Gav: It's obviously just a thing which is not moving yet and it's just got these dead eyes just staring forward. It's just like ugh.
Dan: The face of Bilal is just terrifying. And then, obviously, dwayne's sat next to him. She's raising these boys, trying to look after them, but then sadly, she dies because we cut to her funeral and they're all alone and then we go back to the present day. So that was the backstory of what happened to him. No wonder he is so fucked up. Jesus Christ, you think it was, wasn't it?
Gav: I've got all about that. Thought we'd talk about another movie. Yeah, flat was the flashback. It's a 20 minute flashback. Now remember what was going on before.
Dan: Well, we're drunk in the bar with a sex worker, yeah. So she helps him get back to his hotel room. She helps him into bed. She peeks inside the basket, but the basket's empty. She goes back to her room, which is that tension I was speaking about earlier, I guess. She gets undressed. She gets fully undressed. She's wearing literally just a T-shirt, and then she slides her pants off as well. She gets into bed and, as she lies, back in the bed, Hashtag me too.
Gav: Basket case, oh, we've got his. Definitely Harvey Weinstein's hemorrhoid, isn't it?
Dan: Yeah, he's hiding under a pillow.
Gav: Starts touching her boobs.
Dan: No, no, no, that's a perceptionist. He does that to you later on this is oh yeah, he does it later too. But he does like touching up women when they're asleep.
Gav: He's a panty stealer in this, though, isn't he?
Dan: Is he? Yeah, he's a pant. Oh, I forgot about that. Okay, interesting. So yeah, in her bed the pillows move and he's under the pillow. She wakes up and screams. She runs out of the room and she's again. What happens? The entire hotel runs up to the floor they must be getting sick of this by now and she says something's in my room and it's trying to kill me. It was a thing in my room, so every single person in the hotel.
Gav: And at this point you think he's going to get, it's going to get caught.
Dan: Yep. Bob Hoskins is there again. He's like. Jesus Christ, Where's Roger Rabbit? He's annoyed. Obviously he checks the room, the windows open. We see the hand go back into the basket and Dwayne wakes up with a big hangover.
Gav: Before that we do see basket case, find the knickers.
Dan: Oh, yes, that's right. So he's going to have a little basket wank with those.
Gav: He's sniffing them. I'll tell you that.
Dan: Maybe he's eating them. Who knows what he eats. So in the morning Dwayne wakes up with the worst hangover ever and he says right then, let's get this over with, let's go and see Dr Cutter.
Gav: This is the fake porn scene or actual real porn scene. The acting here please anybody go watch it and be like is this it's not, it's so like it.
Dan: And what makes it more like a porn film is the receptionists are twins, so wooden. The receptionists are twins, aren't they? The two women on reception?
Gav: I'm looking now. So one in red and one in white. I didn't realise.
Dan: Yeah, it's really weird.
Gav: It's really weird. Casting decision, but Just because they're twins is probably like oh, because we've got a twin thing going on here, let's put twins in it, can they act? No, Just put them in it.
Dan: So not only did this happen to him when he was 12 by these doctors, but one of them wasn't even a proper doctor, she was a vet. But, like you say, yes, they have some bad acting here. And he says she's like so what's wrong with your cat? And he says it's actually not a cat. There's something else in my basket that you need to see.
Gav: It's so bad.
Dan: She puts the basket on the table and he reveals himself and Bilal jumps out and kills her. Well, starts to kill her. She starts screaming. The receptionists are trying to get in.
Gav: This is what I discovered. It's a revenge film.
Dan: Then this is a great moment, because she's trying to grab a scalpel because Bilal is strangling her, and then instead there's a drawer that she pulls open full of scalp holes and sharp things, and Bilal just slams her face down into it. So when the receptionists run into the room, she's there's a great shot where she's got all these scalp holes sticking out of her face.
Gav: She does scream for about 20 minutes straight and the receptionist outside knock us out. Are you all right? No, how can you not hear the length of these screams?
Dan: I think the reason they left her screaming for so long was A it was terrifying, but B it gives you a chance to look at the effects, because some of those scalp holes are right next to her eyeball. It looks so good. They're all just like imagine pinhead, but with those of scalp holes.
Gav: Scalpel head.
Dan: Scalpel head, that's my rap name.
Gav: It's not that good.
Dan: All right, like you know, rapper or G, jack the Rapper, jack the Rapper. Okay, so back to the hotel and Sharon, the receptionist from earlier. She shows up Red flag, red flag. She says my boss has been murdered.
Gav: And I've been thinking about you all day. Why?
Dan: She says I don't know why I've been thinking about you all day, but I have.
Gav: Might be going on a date potentially, but that is a bit full on.
Dan: They've only kissed, that's all they've done. So she cries, they hug, they kiss.
Gav: She is going to boil his bunny yeah. That's not going to give him a handjob on the table.
Dan: Well before that. They're on the bed and he's about to put his raw sausage in her basket, but he forgets that Bilal is in his basket, isn't he Watch it? So he starts to imagine this. So picture yourself as Sharon Gov forget all the red flags. You've gone to this man's hotel, you're getting down and dirty on the bed with him, it's all getting hot and heavy and then, all of a sudden, this haemorrhoid bursts out of a basket, screaming at you. Yeah, what would you do? Because she screams and runs out of the room, but then she tries to get back in the room. It depends on desperate. You're half a sec, she's desperate.
Gav: She's like don't let me in If you need it, if it's been a while. You know it sometimes gets desperate, you know.
Dan: Well, dwayne and his brother fight.
Gav: I think, you, I think as a man, you stop for a moment and go right. Then it's just a way up the situation. I'm already at it. This is great. That's not great. This is can I deal with this and that? Probably, I'll just look this way.
Dan: Especially if you said to the person you have a sex with, what is that in the middle? And they go don't worry about that. That's just my little deformed brother.
Gav: You would. Why is he watching as a man guaranteed you probably go, yeah, whatever floats your boat Does he want to join in. I'm guessing as a lady you'll probably go lost. It now Freed. You know you've lost me.
Dan: Well, Dwayne and his brother fight and he shoves him back in the basket and lays him on the louis Right in.
Gav: Let us know, if there was a deformed man's twin in his basket over there, would you carry on or would you stop? Let us know.
Dan: I've got a terrible story that I could tell.
Gav: Writing on the postcode. Dan, please tell us the story.
Dan: So I know someone who this is bad I'm not going to tell you the whole story.
Gav: I'm going to tell you every once in a while you do one of these, do it.
Dan: Uh, so I know someone I don't anymore really but she was with a gentleman, her ex-husband, and neither of them would ever listen to this show, so that's fine. And he used to. When they, when they had sex, he used to make. He used to say to her I need to pretend that there's a girl in the wardrobe watching us, so anywhere I can get it, get it hard and get it done. So they had to pretend. So she would have to sort of look at the wardrobe and go is she still watching us in the middle of it? And he'd be like, yeah, yeah, she's watching everything we're doing. And I just thought that was so fucking weird and they're obviously divorced now. That was one of the many red flags of their relationship. And if you're into that, guys like if you're into voyeurism or whatever, that's fine, but I just find that a little bit creepy that he used to say there has to be a woman or a girl in the cupboard watching us. That's the only way you can get it done.
Gav: How he should have done it better is put a camcorder in there, a filming, and then watch the cupboard. No, just have that. There Might have made it better. It's a mutual understand, I think.
Dan: So that was my story. It didn't involve any deformities.
Gav: Uncle Gav of his sect tips.
Dan: What you need to do, guys if you want to do your own voyeurism, just follow Gav's advice. Anyway, Bilal crawls around the room screaming at the window and his eyes start glowing red. And he is that guy's horny I think so, but also it's like his telepathic power has reached its potential potential. I think Fucking gong to jizz everywhere, isn't he? Because he controls Dwayne now and Dwayne dreams that he's running down the street naked. This is what I talked about earlier, and we do indeed see him running stark bollock naked down the streets of New York.
Gav: Oh, hang on, hang on, because the figma jiggies. I felt like this was a representation of him, his brother, leaving the window again a moment ago, and I thought it was a corrupt presentation of his brother being naked and going down the streets off. What this was Can we go back to. And my notes was like, yeah, he went out of a window before what happened. What did happen? Did he not go out the window? Was that a ruse for everyone who ran into the room to think he had gone out the window?
Dan: Yeah, he didn't go out the window.
Gav: Ah, it was so before that, right, thank you.
Dan: So Dwayne is running naked through the streets and he goes to Sharon's bedroom and he starts feeling her up while she's asleep, yes, he feels a boob.
Gav: It's not something we'd ever recommend to someone asleep. It's a Cripshead 2 move.
Dan: It is, and we all know what happens there. However, he wakes up and Bilal is not in his room and, in fact, it's Bilal that's the one that's feeling her up. And he starts strangling her.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: She wakes up and he's so. You wake up to this thing on top of you, strangling you with its eyes glowing red.
Trailer Voice: Yeah.
Dan: Dwayne bursts into the room.
Gav: Too late, she's dead.
Dan: She's dead, but also it looks like he's inserted in her because when he pulls her off, he is.
Gav: He's like a leech.
Dan: And he's we'll go.
Gav: He takes her off but oh, he's sitting on her groin on the area going up and down it's like oh it's like it's like a barbocram to get in the head in Reanomator.
Dan: From a head. It's so bad.
Gav: It's just like oh, dude, and this was just like. I was not expecting this and I did not remember this.
Dan: Yeah, man. Well, because they don't explicitly say it, I think it's implied, but it's definitely what's happening. So we go back to the hotel and again, the final time, every single one of the guests is awake. And this time Bob Oskine says I've had enough, I'm gonna kick him out of the hotel. So he goes up to the hotel room and as they walk in the room, bilal and Dwayne are fighting and Bilal pushes Dwayne out the window. They both fall and then we get this kind of bittersweet moment. They're where they're hanging off of the sign and Bilal realizes this is his chance to save Dwayne, because he's hanging with one arm and he's got Dwayne in his other arm, but because he's only a little deformed octopus fella he hasn't quite got the strength to hold his brother and he really wants to and you can see from his face he's thinking I can't drop him, he's my brother, although we're fighting. But sadly he hasn't got the strength and they both fall to their death in front of all of the street. Workers, prostitutes slash, sex workers splat on the ground.
Gav: They should have kept playing here. Where will I be famous, bross? Why? Because, brothers.
Dan: Well, the hotel was called the Hotel Broslin. See, the way they're hanging, is they cut out the L and the I and the N, so it's the hotel Bross. So it's quite good Hanging tough. So you're onto something there. That was New Kids on the Block.
Gav: I know NKRATB.
Dan: If you're cool. So yeah, they splat on the pavement and a man comes over. A random bloke just comes over and says, oh yep, they're dead and that's the end. Now they're not dead because they make two sequins.
Gav: How the fuck is there part two and part three, and can we please not watch them?
Dan: Oh, that's a shame.
Gav: I know you've said like and they're driving away, they're gonna do a part two and part three and they're upset and they're like, oh no.
Dan: Maybe now, maybe we'll come to them at some point Before we give our thoughts and stuff on that just quickly. Then Basket Case Two came out in 1990, so many years later, like eight years later and the synopsis is Dwayne and his basket-bound mutant brother are taken in to a secret home for wayward freaks with a journalist hot on their tail. Then Basket Case Three, which came out the following year. Synopsis is Dwayne recovers from his delusional breakdown to find his freakish basket-bound brother will soon become a father. Not everything is joyous as the once tight-knit brothers no longer seem to trust each other.
Gav: He's got his own little life. What's? He got a paper round.
Dan: He works on Wall Street.
Gav: Is he throwing papers while someone's in the basket?
Dan: Ah, but yeah, so Basket Case 1982. Now my thoughts, before you give yours, because I know you've got your thoughts. My thoughts are it's a really highly original film. It feels like we've seen this so many times, but actually this was the first time we'd seen a sort of conjoined twin type film. The effects aren't always good, but when you see his face for the first time and then a couple of times throughout this, it's quite terrifying because it's like you said, there's no expression, it's got very soulless eyes, the way it screams and that whole flashback is just really takes you to a really dark place and it's quite a serious tone all of a sudden. And because of that, I've really enjoyed this and it is a silly early 80s, almost trauma type film. But there is a lot going on in there that pushes it slightly above for me. Definitely, it's definitely one of those ones that people talk about. It was one on the playground that people talked about and yeah, that's kind of it for now for me, but I really liked it. But tell me about you, what did you think?
Gav: I haven't seen it for many years and watch it again it was. I became a little bit bored of it. My attention span didn't really stick with it anymore. It's not a Gav movie, I can't you know.
Dan: I can't recommend it and is that because of the horror.
Gav: Yeah, yeah, I can't recommend it to someone who doesn't like the movies I like or likes the movies I like, doesn't like basically me and I don't like it. But you might be into this film.
Dan: Yeah, if it does the job of making you feel a bit uncomfortable and a bit dirty and gross.
Gav: It's early 80s New York grimy movie and it's kind of almost a sub genre. So like, if you know what you're getting into, you'll probably be into it and if you're like, you might be like, yeah, I'm really into that sort of thing. I really like the New York scene of that time. I find the history you know everything went on there Quite fascinating. I've watched documentaries on the crack and the Democratic stuff. I find it really interesting. I know it's terrible in a lot of places, but very interesting. And this is a type of film and you might be into it, you know.
Dan: Yeah, and, like you said, if you know what you're getting into I mean the synopsis alone if you know you're going to be watching a film about a guy with a deformed half brother, in his basket, kind of yeah, the ex-anist or something. Yeah, it's not Shakespeare, but it does what it says and there's some good deaths in it and it's quite a good story in my opinion. You know, this kid was wronged as a 12-year-old and so when he's older, I mean his mutant brother go on the murder's rampage.
Gav: I could say it don't the really emotionally done by David Cronenberg.
Dan: Oh God, yeah, oh my God, If he ever did something like this because he did the Brood, didn't he? With the children growing off of the woman and going out in Kenneby Falls, that's kind of his version of that.
Gav: Yeah, Stolt a Rumour. David Cronenberg's remaking a basket case Stolt a Rumour.
Dan: He's producing it and Rob Zombie is directing it. No, Sherry Moon is grimsy. Sherry Moon is in the basket. She's going to be in the basket.
Gav: Can you imagine, I want it, I want it Twerk in.
Dan: Yeah, I want it, oh God.
Trailer Voice: Well, there you go, guys.
Gav: She played both, though didn't she, she'd be like him with a big, really big afro, and the basket as well.
Dan: Do you think Rob Zombie's ultimate film would be like Men? But instead it's like.
Gav: Sherry. Sherry Moon is every character.
Dan: It's just called Sherry and every character in it. There's a bloke, there's a kid.
Gav: Somebody please make that movie right now with AI.
Dan: Sherry Moon is every character in a village and a man gets lost there. Eli Roth turns up in the village and everyone knows Sherry Moon.
Gav: Speaking of AI, I have turned to chat GBT now, where before I was a bit like chat what? I couldn't get the letters right when you turned me. I'm in there now. I'm on it. It's so good, it's interesting isn't it. It's so amazing what you can do with it. Very, very helpful tool.
Dan: Well, I've got to say, Gav it is basket case is a big deformed thumbs up. For me it's a big deformed raw sausage in my basket.
Gav: Yes.
Dan: What about you?
Gav: I don't know what has to be raw. It's just a boxbark in a way.
Dan: Well, it's because we're talking about raw sausage. Your opinions on body horror aside, try and leave those aside. What do you think of this overall? Is it a thumbs up or a thumb stain?
Gav: Kind of it dragged for me. It's a thumbs down for me OK.
Dan: Well, if you have seen basket case, we'd be interested to know what you guys think. It's one that people don't often talk about. It wasn't quite a video nasty, but it was probably quite close to it. But if you have seen it, that's all right. If you haven't seen it, go check it out, but be warned it's a dirty and grimy.
Gav: If you see any, you can watch it and follow up with greasy strangler for pudding. Oh.
Dan: God Pudding Well talking of. Drippy, drippy pudding. Talking of drippy puddings, Bill Murray's here and he has got his own rule sausage to put on our baskets, because Bill Murray and their drippy puddings.
Gav: Is that his?
Dan: band. He's born a very nice tuxedo today Because he's, you know, last couple of episodes he's turned up in various gimp outfits. So he's here today with a big list which is going to pass to me so we can read out for our world of the strange. So, bill, if you're ready to lead us into the world of the strange, please do so. My friend, hi, welcome back to world of the strange.
Trailer Voice: Oh, it's one of the New York strange.
Dan: Bill Murray, no stranger to New York. He lives there, he loves New York, he's a New Yorker through and through. So, obviously, ghostbusters 1 and 2, both shot in New York and, you know, set in New York. Yes, we are going to be talking about New York for this world of the strange, and I have got a list of urban legends that New York is famous for, and we're going to go through these, see if you've heard of them, see what your thoughts are on them, and a couple of them I can debunk for you as well. Okay, okay. So we talked about rats earlier, so the first one on here is the rat problem in New York. Brilliant, apparently, there is one rat for every human in New York.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: It's a lot of rats. However, apparently that is no longer the case. They have sorted out their rat problem in the last 20 years, but there are still an awful lot of rats there. I've seen that documentary and I'm sure you have. Where the guys are going around and they sort of kick some trash cans, yeah, like 25 rats runs out. It's just absolutely appalling. But they do say one of the urban legends is they do say you're never more than about two foot from a rat when you're in New York. And it turns me on, or me when I'm just literally here. Right there now, there you go. Well, that was the first one. It's not very interesting, but the second one is. The second one is, you might have heard of him, Cropsy. Yes, You've all heard of Cropsy. Cropsy is a maniac who snatches children on Staten Island and kills them with his hook hand or an ice pick or an axe Depends on your version of the story and that's kind of the basis for a lot of things, like I know what he did last summer Candyman. A lot of these slashes come from this. Now there's even been a Cropsy film made and he's not real, apparently. But there was an employee at a state school on Staten Island it was a school for children with disabilities and he was convicted of kidnapping and potentially harming children and that's where it came from. And then, apparently, that school shut down and if you go back there now and you say something like if you say Cropsy, five times, you'll come and get you or something like that Will he now. He maybe will.
Gav: How has this been proven? Because surely, if they've been killed and we said it, how's the person who said that this happened?
Dan: Someone tick-tocked themselves as they did it.
Gav: Did they now?
Dan: Yeah, but I don't know. We've all heard of Cropsy, though. It is an interesting one, and a city like New York is going to have a lot of urban legends, and one of them's got to be some kind of its own sort of Freddy Krueger type killer, now something that New York is very famous for, new York, new York, new York Is Gab singing.
Gav: Is that a song? Who sings it? Jay-z the other teams are made up.
Dan: Yes, so New York is very, very famous for its sewers, and we're going to be covering more of that when we talk about Chud the Edge, mutant Ninja Turtles. Exactly Now, one of the things that New York is very famous for, and its sewers, is alligators.
Gav: Oh, and it's the alligator. We covered that.
Dan: Yeah, although that isn't that set in Chicago, but even so there is rumours that people in the 60s and 70s had alligators as pets and then when the law came in, the dangerous animal law, and everybody got rid of their monkeys and tigers, they flushed them down the toilet. Now in the UK this is true, because this is why we have big cats living out in Cornwall and Devon and they are real. It's proven. They are real. It's because people got rid of their and I use the term pet loosely because it was like the early 80s they brought in this little. That said, actually it's really dangerous to have a chimpanzee or a monkey or a tiger as a pet. But yes, so the rumour is that people would flush their pets down the toilet. And actually it's far back as 1932, the New York Times reported an alligator was sighted in the Bronx River and later on in the 30s, some teenagers said they saw one crawl out of a sewer and throughout the years people still claim to see alligators. The sewer workers that go down there say they see all sorts and they've claimed to see alligators living in the sewers. It's never been proven. But it's never not been proven either Garth, and people do still have crazy pets in New York.
Gav: There is a story tigers and shit.
Dan: Yeah, there was that story as a photograph. You can look this up, guys listening. A photograph of a fireman on a ladder.
Gav: Looking at it.
Dan: And there's a tiger coming out of the bathroom window at him, like 20 stories up. So somebody had a tiger in their 20 story tiny apartment in Brooklyn and wondered why. You know, it's gone a bit crazy.
Gav: It makes it Frank. No, no, stop the ladder, frank, stop the ladder. Stop the ladder, it's getting closer to the fucking tiger.
Trailer Voice: It's a tiger.
Gav: Just looking at you waiting for dinner.
Dan: But yeah, sewer alligators, man crazy. We had the crocodile, the Bristol crocodile, didn't we Do?
Trailer Voice: you remember what it is.
Dan: It's never proven and that story sort of went away after a while. But yeah, I think you always hear about these things. You hear about goldfish being flushed down the toilet and mutating, or Ninja Turtles, whoever you want to, whichever story you want to go down. Now here's a good one about some ghosts, some ice skating ghosts.
Gav: Amazing.
Dan: Okay, so this is the story of the Vander Vort sisters. Now, they were spinsters in 1880 and they died within a couple of months of each other. They were two crazy old ladies, didn't speak to anybody other than themselves. Sisters, and they died within a couple of months of each other. And people claim to this day even to spot them, one in a red dress and one in a purple dress, ice skating in Central Park, on the ice rink, nice, in the middle of the night, just skating. And people say when they see them it's always the same story their feet, they don't have ice skates on, their feet, aren't touching the ice, they're just slightly floating above the ice. Can you imagine seeing those two sisters? I'd never heard of them. So, the Vander Vort sisters if you're ever in New York and you're in, I don't know why you'd be in Central Park at the ice rink at two in the morning, unless you're looking to get mugged or murdered or worse. Then yeah, look out for the Vander Vort sisters. They'll be ice skating silently, slightly above the ice.
Gav: That's pretty cool.
Dan: Now let's skip from ghosts to pirates. Splendid, we love pirates, arrr, arrr. So we're talking about Captain Kid. He was hanged in 1701 for piracy.
Gav: What is his shit name?
Dan: Captain William Kid. He's rumoured to have stashed some pirate treasure on Liberty Island.
Gav: Captain Kid sounds like a fucking rapper from 2023, though he's got all the fucking weird toes on his face.
Dan: Yeah, that's true. So people have been searching Liberty Island for this gold for centuries and no one's ever found it. I think it's probably not there if no one's found it by now, but apparently some people say they've seen pirate apparitions guarding the area that the gold's supposed to be in. So I don't know. Pirate gold, the goonies, that kind of thing on Liberty Island. It's cool, sounds cool. These are all urban legends that New York is famous for.
Gav: Another one there, all of them pretty cool though.
Dan: They're all cool, aren't they? What about? You must have heard of this. Next one, then, about people that have died at the bottom of the Empire State Building because someone's dropped a penny off the top of the Empire State Building.
Gav: No, no, please tell me.
Dan: Oh, yeah, yeah. So there is a rumour that if you drop a penny or any coin off the top of the Empire State Building, it'll build up such a velocity that it will basically act as a bullet by the time it gets to the bottom and it will kill some people instantly. But this has been proven by science to not be possible. It will hurt you. It will really hurt you.
Gav: It wouldn't have. I'll bet you it's because the direct course it wouldn't have, direct course it'd be going over.
Dan: Yeah, because it hasn't been fired out of a gun. So it's not real, but it's definitely something I used to hear as a kid and in fact even when I went to New York. On the top of the Empire State Building, you know, there's gates up and raining so you could never throw anything off anyway. But I even thought of it then I thought, christ, imagine if I accidentally dropped my like can of Coke and I killed someone you know. Wow, imagine that. But that one has been debunked. So I'm really sorry. There is no such thing as a killer penny. But what is real is the more. There's a shit horror movie in it the Killer Penny.
Gav: Killer walks all the way up to the top and just drops a penny off. It goes back down.
Dan: It sounds more like an episode of Columbo. It sounds more like an episode of Columbo to me Sarah's getting me the box out for Christmas, Lucky boy so excited.
Gav: Yeah, fucking because for free, free. They just fucking taking them all off.
Dan: Oh, I hate when they do that.
Gav: Fuckers.
Dan: So let's move on to something you touched on, and that's the mole people, Don't tell people oh yeah, the city of the mole people.
Gav: You can tell about the mole people I touched.
Dan: Don't talk, don't touch my mole.
Trailer Voice: Oh.
Dan: Yeah, the city of mole people. So in all the tunnels beneath New York City there is a society, a city of people known as the mole people, not because they look like moles and they sort of scramble around in the dirt, but because they live underground.
Gav: This is what I was talking about earlier.
Dan: It's a documentary dog days.
Gav: Check it out. It's really good.
Dan: It's really interesting and it's real.
Gav: There's all politics down there Because they're like neighbors, legit, like you know. That's my space, that's your all space. Don't come into my space.
Dan: But also part of that that it's not even an urban legend, but part of that story is what spawned Chud, because some of the rumors were before it really got fully investigated. Some of the rumors were that these were like deformed people that live down there or cannibals, that kind of thing, so that kind of inspired films like Chud. But yeah, there is a whole city below a city of people that.
Gav: It's not anymore, but yeah.
Dan: It's crazy, crazy, crazy. Like Skid Row, but underground.
Gav: People down there like really trying to like something, really trying to stay clean, and they'd cook down there and have like legit cleaning kitchen type of thing they had made and you know there was apparently a church.
Dan: There was doctors that lived down there. It was like what's going on? Yeah, Would you want to live under New York City?
Gav: Well, it's rent-free but it comes with, obviously, rape yeah.
Dan: Yeah, well, let's move on to another ghost story, and I'm talking about the Hudson River ghost ship. So when New York was a very small village, many, many years ago, there were reports of a spooky ship seen floating on the Hudson River.
Gav: Not a spooky ship seen floating on the Hudson River. Not a ship.
Dan: There was a lot of ships floating in the river, but not a spooky one.
Gav: Because that ship is really creepy and spooky, but a ship with a P. Why would a ship be spooky though A turd? How could a turd be spooky, do you think?
Dan: Um, could be sort of white to the ghostly face.
Gav: Or it could have like a little fog around it as it went.
Dan: Yeah, could be. Maybe, Well, over many, many hundreds of years. People say that if you look carefully and if there's enough fog. So, basically, if you can't see properly, if there's enough fog and it's quite dark, you will see If you're short-sighted and you take your glasses off and you poke yourself in the eyes. And you take some drugs. Put a blindfold on, you will see the Hudson River ghost ship floating around. Now what I love about all of these is this is all reminding me of like Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 2, and all the ghosts come out, you know and start doing everything Very much.
Gav: Ghostbusters 2, yeah.
Dan: Yeah, so that's that one and the last one. You're going to love this last one. This last one is called the Bermuda Car Triangle Splendid.
Gav: Splendid.
Dan: Um, now you've heard of the obviously the Bermuda Triangle. Yeah, ships and planes disappear. But in Manhattan there is a phenomenon called the Bermuda Car Triangle, and it only happened for one year, in 2008,. There was a five-block radius near the Empire State Building and any car that would drive into it instantly broke down.
Gav: Wow, it's just Like a magnetic field going on there or something. It couldn't work it out.
Dan: And the funny thing is, tow trucks would come in, take the car out and then, but when it got out of the radius the car would start back up again.
Gav: But how come the tow trucks are all right?
Dan: Well, this is the flaw in the story, isn't it?
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: It was only cars, trucks, buses and other things were fine, yeah, but it was a phenomenon that people reported in 2008. Right so, the Bermuda Car Triangle. So that's my list of New York. Oh, that's very good.
Gav: My favourite ones are I bet Bill liked it because obviously he's a native.
Dan: He's telling me to say remember the time I drove the Statue of Liberty using a Nintendo controller.
Gav: That's a weird one.
Dan: Bill, my favourite out of all of these is definitely sewer alligators. I love a good sewer alligator. Yeah, I love a good sewer alligator, not when I shit ones, I also love Cropsy. I love good Cropsy as well. I love a good Cropsy story as well. But, yeah, if you ever go to New York, go have. Yeah, definitely.
Gav: Watch out for these things, check them out or watch out for them, whatever you fancy.
Dan: Don't drop your money off the top of the Empire State Building, because it won't kill anyone, but you'll be skinned.
Gav: Yeah Well, thank you, Bill Dan.
Dan: Bill. Any thoughts on that?
Gav: No, we're not going to talk about that. That's disgusting. Take a saver.
Dan: Okay, let's head off here.
Gav: That's all the time we've got for this week.
Trailer Voice: on World of Strange Next week though gimme iron Hairless pets Weird, we're. Beneath the city of New York are living catacombs, an endless maze of subterranean tunnels unfit for anything human, unauthorized for anything experimental and unlikely to bring anyone down there. So they're coming up. Chud Chud, check your basement and your bathroom, keep off the street and try to hide, but remember the dark is their place, the night is their time, and tomorrow the only things living in the city of New York will be Chud Chud, cannibalistic, humanoid underground dwellers. Chud, they're not staying down there anymore.
Gav: Chud from 1984. A bizarre series of sudden disappearances on the streets of New York City seems to point towards something unsavory like a sausage roll living in the sewers. I added that Like a sausage roll. There's no sausage roll living in the sewers.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: Chud. Funny enough, I and he's saying this for the first time with Sarah last year and we didn't get to the end because ten minutes of the ending on Amazon Prime went and the soundtrack just went like slow mo, like proper slow mo, and I was like what the fuck? But I thought it was a stalled choice. After a while I was like nah, robert Foster has not.
Dan: No, he's an alligator An alligator.
Gav: I think of the dude in this, john Hurt.
Dan: John Hurt. Kevin McCulloch has just had.
Gav: Yeah, it does not talk, it doesn't talk like that, but anyway I was actually more familiar and had on videotape and watched it quite a lot Chud too. But the Chud, yeah, take a type of different type of movie, horror comedy, where some college kids find it would be good for a prank to take a corpse from the medical school, the mortuary, and it happened, and then revive it, I think, and it happens to be, then classes Chud too. Nothing like this.
Dan: Well, it wasn't really anything to do with Chud. No. They just added that to the title and turned it into a sequel.
Gav: Just used that yeah.
Dan: But yeah, we've seen that type of film lots of times, haven't we? Yeah, vamp, and there's a bunch of movies where they two kids do a college prank and then it all goes wrong. There's a bunch the creeps.
Gav: Yeah, maybe that should be a subgenre.
Dan: Yeah, college pranks gone wrong.
Gav: Yeah.
Trailer Voice: So this one, yeah, Chud.
Gav: A cannabasic humanoid underground douelard.
Dan: Yeah, or contaminated. What was the other thing that stands for Contaminated? There's another thing that stands for as well, that they talk about in this.
Gav: It's a cool name, it's CHU Chud. It's great for a video shot, that's for sure.
Dan: Especially because you see the word and then underneath it you see cannabasic, humanoid underground douelard. You think, ok, wow, does that tells me everything I need to know? The fact that then on the front cover there was a little sewer peeking up, but instead of a friendly Ninja Turtle peeking out, you got these glowing eyes and a claw coming out Again. This is one of those ones. I mentioned it earlier. You see it in the video shot when you want to know what that's about. I was talking to our buddy, rj McCready, about this earlier today and I said I've got a bit of a story with this one because it was one of the ones that I always wanted to rent. And then I feel bad that I tricked my mum into renting it for me because she said oh no, it's an 18. I'm not going to let you watch that one. And one afternoon I said to her please, please, mum, I think it's related to the Ninja Turtles. Look at the front cover. And she thought, oh, if it's got something coming out of the sewer, then he's probably right. I watched it and I was kind of a bit scared of watching it, but it's one that I definitely saw as a kid probably a bit too young and it's probably the better of the two films that we're covering in this episode. But again it's got a really great plot, a lot of political undertones in this to do with the underground, the homeless people the Uppies Real life.
Gav: pixie in it.
Dan: Real life pixie. As a lady, it looks like a pixie, oh, yes, yes, she does a bit, doesn't she?
Gav: Well, it looks like a pixie. I could get my head around last time with Brian May's hair, and this time it's a pixie, and it's got a fantastic score as well, a really memorable score. I wouldn't say memorable, but I'd say unique and interesting.
Dan: Yeah, it's got its own score like you, sort of its own motif, and it's got some good acting in it. And let's talk about those actress briefly, john.
Gav: Goodman very quickly just thrown that in there just the first time I ever roll as a cop not acting fairly decent actually.
Dan: But not of an ice cop either.
Gav: A bit of a bit of a. But, then gets killed straight away. But you only just see a slight reaction, that's it. But just go just through that in there like that.
Dan: And then we get a bit of a home alone reunion, because we've got Marv from home alone, one of the burglars, daniel Stern as the sort of the ambassador for the homeless people, and then you've got John Hurd, kevin McAllister's dad, who is a photographer in New York, and they sort of team up along with another guy called Captain Bosch.
Gav: Bosch, who is really badly cast. He's a great character, though.
Dan: He's not good, he's not well cast, he is like a poor man's Tom Atkins.
Gav: It's just, he has nothing going on. It's very like.
Dan: I like him, though I really like the character. I don't know. He's probably my favorite character, isn't it?
Gav: I don't know, so I don't know, he like Christopher George or something.
Dan: But yeah, so he plays Christopher. Sorry, he's played by Christopher Curry. So you've got three main guys, and then you've got also got Lauren, who is Daniel Hurd's girlfriend, who's a model as well. So we've got a good little cast in this great plot and there's a lot of political undertones, like I say, a lot of commentary on class, the yuppies, all that kind of stuff going on it is interesting, speaking of the cast, that there is a couple of people in it who well, three people really gone on to have big acting careers yeah, like John Goodman as well.
Gav: I know that's very much just almost a cameo, but it's quite interesting where that came from and that must be in the production or the cast and agents or whatever. But not bad, you know.
Dan: And they play very different characters to where they end up. You know they all end up going into sort of family comedies. A lot of those go, apart from John Goodman. So yeah, it's cool. I really like it. There was a sequel that we just touched about. There's nothing to do with this one. So if you're going to watch Bud the Chud and that's a great title, bud the Chud, but it's nothing to do with this this is about things living underground and this taps into that underground in the sewers thing, but also it taps into the mutated radiation type thing as well, which was big in the big in the fifties actually, but also came back a little bit in the seventies and eighties with deformed creatures. Now the spoiler spoiler here straight away is is that these creatures are actually the, the homeless people that the government have mutated by dumping loads of chemicals underground and radioactive waste and over the course of however many years, these poor homeless people have turned into these cannibalistic, humanoid underground dwellers that the government then trying cover up. So again, it's like kind of bit of an anti-government punk vibe to it, which was very new york in the early 80s punk, anti-government, anti-establishment.
Gav: So he's an ate, his fucking New York government.
Dan: Yeah, fuck him, fuck the man. So we start off with the score which I mentioned and we start off with a dog, a lady walking your dog in the middle of the night I don't know why she's out late walking her dog.
Gav: Yeah, it's a big, big, wide open shot of an empty road. It looks quite nice actually.
Dan: And we see a sewer lid slide open and a claw grabs her ankle. She screams dog, runs off. Title card chud, chud. There we are. Now that lady is someone that will come back, because it turns out that she's actually the wife of Captain Bosch Bosch, bish, bash, bosch. So, but we'll find that out in a few scenes time. So there we go. There's your first bit. All that's left of her is a shoe.
Gav: We see lots of the streets in New New York now in a day time and a trash lorry when the brushes are outside the streets Sweepers.
Dan: Sweepers.
Gav: It's going along. We follow that for a little while actually.
Dan: Yeah, and it sweeps up the lady's shoe Last bit of evidence that she was ever there and her shoe's gone. We see all the homeless people. We see Kevin McCullis's dad who's a really annoying photographer.
Gav: Who's such like egotistical stuck up is any arse.
Dan: He's got this, so basically his story is that I'm an artist. Yeah, he's an artist and he's got this project that he's doing on the homeless people of New York and he's got a relationship with some of them as well and he's friends with them. They let him into his world and he takes these sort of documentary pictures, but no one's interested in that at the moment. People just want to pay him to take pictures of models naked and so he does that to make his money. But when he's doing it, you know, even when his girlfriend is doing a perfume advertisement, he's still really sort of against it all and he's like man, this isn't what I'm here to do, I'm here to take. You know, I'm here to document the world.
Gav: I tried to figure out this. He's done that. But I guess on the side she says we take photos for me, or he, I think it would be. He's been like, look, if you're doing any pictures where you're taking clothes off or anything like that, I'm the one. But then he's like oh, what are we doing today? Oh, are we doing today ones? We take them off. That means he's a dog for a time, but does that mean when she gets the gig, when her agent gets her the gig, does she go? The only tipplation is that my boyfriend has to take his photos. Do you know what I mean? That's a bit of a company to be like no, fuck off.
Dan: What could?
Gav: it be.
Dan: It could just be that they, either someone else, do have their own photographer as well, so it could be that, but also it could just be that they move in the similar circles it could be, I don't know.
Gav: Might be just as a package. You just do these gigs, but he's so like I'm fucking the shit and it's just he can't see past in this bit like, oh, come on, man, it's very childish actually, in the way.
Dan: But the first time he talks to his girlfriend she is putting makeup on her bottom because she's got a pimple on her butt. Cheek. Yep and he's laughing at her and she says I've got to go off and I'm gonna have my butt photographed today so I can't have a pimple on there. He's got a phone, so and she says where's my jewellery? And he says what? It's in the basement. She says what? So you've brought all your photographic equipment up here because they've just moved into this apartment, but you haven't brought up any of mine. He's just like go get it yourself. He's a bit of a dick.
Gav: Yeah, and he's got a deadline as a phone message for him, because he doesn't answer the phone because he's too big for that, and he's got a deadline, which just do keeps hassling him for through the out of the film.
Dan: And she goes to the basement.
Gav: He's an artist, don't you know?
Dan: Don't you know? She goes to the basement to collect her jewellery and she hears a scratching sound coming from a grating so are the fucking rats up here. The rats above cams head.
Gav: Scratchy, scratchy. There's a chance we might hear them at some point.
Dan: And then her neighbour outside. Her neighbour sees something in the trash pile moving and screams, so we get the sense that there's definitely something under the ground. Already Cut to the police headquarters, the cop shop, and Captain Bosch is there, and there's more and more reports coming in of missing people. But because they're homeless people they don't really keep too much of a track of them, and in fact some of the police say it's not that important though, if a few homeless people go missing, is it?
Gav: We've skipped past short-short-head Pixie lady.
Dan: Of course, sorry, I do apologise.
Gav: Yeah, it's her his neighbour.
Dan: She's the one that sees the trash pile, yeah she does look like a Pixie. Little Pixie. Yeah, she's the landlady of the whole building, isn't she?
Gav: Oh is she.
Dan: Yeah, so the police basically don't really care that they don't really care that all these people are going missing. But Captain Bosch he's been good captain that he is he suspects there's more to this story and actually we find out his wife's been missing for a day and she was the lady at the beginning who was dragged into the sewer by a chud, excuse me. So he goes to his captain and he says look, I know you think that it doesn't count, but there's so many underground people that are moving that are disappearing and vanishing. I think there's more to this. We've got to investigate this, actually make a horror version of the Wombles. I did not expect you to come out with that, rob zombies, the Wombles, wombles, rob Wombles.
Trailer Voice: Rob.
Gav: Wombles. I'm gonna change my name to Rob Wombles.
Dan: Brilliant, hi, I'm Robert Wombles. Nice to meet you. Um, do you think like when he goes places, people are like, oh, mr Zombie, nice to meet you.
Gav: Yeah yeah, they can. After that he's good of. I presume he's changed his name legit. What dickhead To show. Moon zombie, moon zombie, yeah.
Dan: Oh god, how do we always come up to back to Rob Zombie? I don't know but bless them.
Gav: They're doing whatever they want and they're happy.
Dan: So they bring this crazy homeless man in and they interview him and Captain Bosch is speaking to him and he says come on, tell me what's going on. Then he says creatures, there's creatures underground. And he just pulls out this big, giant knife in the middle of the police station and starts stabbing it into the table and rather than sort of shoot him or arrest him, they sort of will just back off and go oh gosh, he's got a bit of a story to tell, hasn't he?
Gav: Doesn't feel like the typical film American cop we would see in here is trigger happy.
Dan: So, george, who is John Hurd, who is Kevin Macalester's dad, he's got a relationship with this person and he bells them out. I love.
Gav: You had to explain to three different categories of people there the home alone fans.
Dan: The people who know him by his acting name and his character in this. He bells her out because he's got a bit of relationship with her and you know she's. He takes photos of her, which all sounds very creepy, but he's doing it for his sort of documentary sort of thing, that he's doing his project. And she says, like what, what were you doing? Why did you get arrested? She says, oh, I tried to take that cop's gun. I need it for self-defense. There's things going on underground that you know all us guys, as homeless guys, we need weapons. So guns, knives, anything we can we need to defend ourselves. So he says well, look, let me walk you back to the cave that you live in, like the opening to the entrance to the underground bit. So while they're walking along, another cop starts following him because he suspects hmm, why is he belled her out? This is all a bit weird. I'm going to follow this guy and see what's going on.
Gav: Before be very, very, very, very quick, jumping back very much. Daniel Stern is talked to by old Dick Dick, whatever his name is.
Dan: His name is Captain Bosch.
Gav: his name is Captain Bosch is talked to and he explains to him that I've got a group of people I've not seen recently, the homeless group. It's like 12 of them I've not seen for like two weeks. They come up here every day for soup and I have not seen them. And it's only my underground people. Do you understand? Only the underground ones?
Dan: so that mystery element is thrown in there as well, yeah, because he he's called the Reverend Daniel Stern because he's a bit of a like a cult leader.
Gav: he basically he's doing good deal as detectives, like kind of like what you're up to and merely. I don't know his backstory but the text is like a bit of a dick at first.
Dan: Yeah, but then he realizes all this guy is trying to do is feed these, these homeless people, and he knows them all so well. He knows that some of them don't like to come out, so he leaves like sandwiches in certain holes for them in the ground so that they can come and eat it and stuff.
Gav: He's a good guy and he's those rats and have them straight away.
Dan: They would. The chuds will definitely eat them. Basket case well probably puts me like a thing. What would happen if basket case and chud sort of bumped into each other at a tunnel under New York? I actually think basket case might win.
Gav: Maybe he's a bit of a psycho.
Dan: But yeah, you're right. He tells him it's only the people that live underground, the other homeless people that live on the streets. They're not disappearing. It's like the people underground. So this is also untied together now. But yeah, so going back to Ruru sorry, you're right, I did jump ahead a little bit there so he walks her back to her thing and they go through some tunnels together and Kevin McAllister's like oh god, why am I crawling for all this shit?
Gav: The dude the reason they go down there. Well, they get to. I think the dude's got the real bad cup where they get to when they get to that point, he's got a whitest teeth ever for a homeless man yeah so what the fuck?
Dan: Well, they go through lots of tunnels, some big, some tiny. We see lots of different people living underground.
Gav: Boss says. He says why have you got such an interest in this man? And Boss says like uh, my wife, she went missing.
Dan: Yeah, that's right, and they've met. They also meet Victor, who's under ground with the injury he's got pretty bad. He says if you've got a gun, I want a gun. His leg is really fucked because he's been attacked by a chud although we don't know what they're called at this point but he's been attacked. So yeah, boss, his wife is missing and they start to discuss this EPA probe, which is the Environmental Protection Agency's investigation that's been going on. Now. It should have only gone on for two weeks, but it's been going on for about six weeks. So the government obviously think there's more under New York than just, you know, the usual two weeks, make sure there's nothing bad under there, which they do once a year, and that's it.
Gav: They find a gaga counter and pick it up and it goes off the chain. It's a bit like straight away, like get the fuck out of here, let's go.
Dan: I love this team up now where you've got this like leader of the homeless guys and Captain.
Gav: Boss, I just wish the detective was better at the cast.
Dan: I know what you mean but that side is it's a cool little detective story almost this part of it really you know there's a murder mystery. You're like what's happened then?
Gav: why is there a guy behind the set? It's a shame because it could have been. All the other castings pretty good. Is it real shame?
Dan: Yeah, and then we end that scene with a growling sound and they sort of get the fuck out of there. Now Kevin McAllister's model girlfriend tells him she is pregnant and they discuss it. What do we do? And she says, well, what do you want to do? He's like, well, I want to keep it. And she's like, well, then, we'll keep it. So they're very happy.
Gav: Yeah, he ain't going to give a fuck about that kid. I'm too, busy. I'm taking pictures. He is not going to give a shit and they are going to break up. That's there. I've seen it. Seen it in the cards already.
Dan: So we get a little bit of backstory for those two there. So we now know that she is pregnant, so we get that extra little bit of vulnerability for her character throughout this film early stages but even so, she's still pregnant. Cut to an old man and a little girl, which sounds weird, but let me yeah they get, they get lost. They're lost in New York, like home alone too. And they go in a phone booth and he rings up whoever he's calling and says look, we're lost, we don't know where we are. Can you come and collect us? I'm I've got my granddaughter with me here. Can somebody come and help us please? And while this is happening she spots the little girl, spots a chud coming out of the sewers, and she's scared, but before she can say anything to her grandpa, we see its face, yeah, very quickly. It's great, though looks good yeah, it's got like bright yellow eyes, that sort of go in different directions. Yeah, I was into it. It's like a cross between Nosferatu and I don't know. Really, it's just very slimy looking monster, looks good. Not what I remembered them looking like as well. In my head they're more like the basket case, but they're not. They're actually like well, humanoid, cannibalistic, humanoid underground dwellers. Um so yeah, another death, uh. And then we the little girl was in the police station and they're saying bosh, this man, this old, this little girl, says a monster ate her grandfather. And he's like what right, we're going to start a search immediately. And he springs into action and he starts a, you know, assembling a crew of people and they're looking at him like one earth. Why is he so into this? story about a monster avengers assemble chud chud basher is assembled chud basher that could be another thing um, at school, when I was, uh, at school, if someone was a bit of a sort of, if you wanted to call someone a name, you'd sort of go oh, you're such a chud, you need to call people chuds. Oh, really, you're such a chud. Same, same sort of time as we used to call people stig dweeb, and we call people dweebs, dorks, chuds, all these sort of things dickheads gribo, that is all oh, we never really had gribo, yeah gribo, we didn't have that one it stuck for one of my friends, though he's still called gribo. Hope it's now funny enough oh, poor guy, is he cannibalistic don't know is he?
Gav: humanoid last time, I'm sorry cruised, oh so, yeah.
Dan: So captain boss brings into action and, um, he goes to talk to marv again from home alone and he says um, marv says right, that's it, we're going to go and speak to the man. We need to present some evidence to city office and tell them about all these homeless people that are missing and that there's more to this story than meets the eye. And now a grandfather's been killed as well. And boss says yeah, don't forget my wife as well. They're like right, let's go, let's go to city hall and tell them about this. And they're going to show the geiger counter as well and explain about the radioactivity. It gets very, very tense, but they're not. They're kind of their story isn't really fully listened to, as you would expect. It's kind of like when the ghostbusters go speak to the mayor yeah it's that kind of story. No one's interested in it. Uh, meanwhile, loren and george celebrating their um pregnancy by having some champagne in the park. Probably not a good idea for her to be drinking, to be honest, but it was the 80s yeah 80s different rules. And while they're having their picnic, a reporter sneaks up on them and says mr wayscote from before yeah, he says listen, I need to speak to you. The police have been tailing you and they want to know what your connection to these homeless people is. There's a story at work here. I'm a reporter and there's something going on with the homeless people going missing. It's something to do with radioactive waste, but they want to hide the evidence. They want, don't want, anyone to know about it. You interested, you interested, mm-hmm. He says I want to know all about these bums, bums, oh yeah, the homeless people. Yeah, not your bum, it's the bottom. You perked my interests. I want to know about your bum. He says we think it's something nuclear, it's. It's always something's going down. So he peaks kevin mcconnell's interest here, because he's, although he's a photographer, he's a bit of a a journalist as well, isn't he? He kind of documents what's going on with these homeless people and he's got an interest in it as well. So he thinks, hmm, okay, maybe I'll, maybe I'll listen to this reporter and see what's going on. Yeah, so back in the office they're discussing the sightings of a monster. Now they've got all the the mayor and all of the people from high up in the city and in this room you've got captain bosh and then a homeless looking guy boy with a suitcase full of weird photos.
Gav: You're not going to listen to what these guys are saying, that they're telling you there's monsters under the city no you're not, so you've got to admire bosh for trying it's a bit weird way things I'll take this home is doing with me. It's going to help well, they.
Dan: So, um they. He finds the file, because marv kicks off and he runs out the office and he finds the bosh finds a file with chud written on the top of it and he says what is this? What's this about? Cannibalistic, humanoid, underground dweller, what earth is this? Um? And they take bosh down to a mortuary and say, look, this is just between you and us, but this is, this is a creature that we think is killed some people. And it's pretty cool, because you don't see the creature really. You see in reflection of his hazmat suit, don't you?
Gav: oh, because it all goes a bit predator too. They just send these guys down there and they're. They're up on a screen watching them.
Dan: It's so predator too oh yeah, but that that's in just a moment. Yeah, okay, sorry.
Gav: Before that, though, marv is outside and he's trying to make a phone call oh, you mean when they go down they say they've caught one, and they go down and they actually look at it.
Dan: Yeah yeah, that's, very much.
Gav: Yeah, it's just a reflection of it, yeah and.
Dan: But while while that's going on, there's a weird moment where marv is trying to make a phone call but because he's been tailed by these like fbi guys, one of them just takes them the penny off of him so he can't put it in the phone uh, the payphone and he just swallows the coin. It doesn't say anything bosh's guys.
Gav: Yeah, yeah, because the reason why, basically, bosh is told not to send any guys down there, because he goes okay, just sends the people down and he goes whoa, how'd you know, that's the only one. And he goes no, no, no, no, it's fine, it's fine he said.
Dan: He said he's the only one, don't worry, gas choke on gas, so be fine. So just send all guys go down there.
Gav: So then bosh bosh is all like, uh, all sneaky like, and gets his group of men's down there already yeah, because he says I'm a commando team.
Dan: He says I want to send a crack unit down there with flamethrowers, not just like with guns what if there is gas, though?
Gav: isn't that really a bad idea? Yes, it's.
Dan: I want to send them with flamethrowers.
Gav: I don't want them wearing shell suits anything like go home, go home, go direct traffic bosh don't worry, they'll have a canary with them.
Dan: Um, he wants to send them down that's why they've got the gas masks. He says, just in case there's more than one of them, because he now knows that there's definitely at least one one of these monsters. But they overrule him and say, no, that's not happening. Yeah we're sending out, don't send down down flamethrowers there's, they've got gas masks, because there's gas so it's a good little chest move here now because they override him and they say we've got our own men going down there now. And while they're down there on their their video cameras, suddenly all of bosh's dudes show up with flamethrowers and they're like who are these guys? And he's like they're my men. And they're like no, no, you can't have them down here. And he says they're not happy about, we're not happy with bosh, what you're gonna do about it yeah, we're already here, but again, though, there's a reason.
Gav: There's gas. Flamethrower is bad. I don't think we've written till now.
Dan: Ridiculous, what well, he says to them what are you gonna do? Your men have got video cameras, my men have got flamethrowers brilliant you would win so, yeah, it has gone all predator two really has um.
Gav: One thing those cameras would be really fucking heavy, yeah. Another thing is you'd need a long cable. It's 1984. You're not talking about a little pocket phone you're not transmitting it yeah and if you are, it's gonna take run off so much battery. You'd need the electric probably, so it's good, probably wired yeah well they they.
Dan: They actually come across a chud and they burn it um, but it seems to survive the fire, um, and it starts killing the cameraman. It's a bit like aliens as well.
Gav: The camera shut off it's funny because this is before aliens yeah that's kind of cool actually, um, and then there's camera signal, probably because of all the leads, I'm guessing probably yeah.
Dan: I need really long leads. Well, they take this footage of these men dying back to city hall and say right, I told you there was something going on down there. There's creatures down there. They've just killed a bunch of government officials. Uh, I want permission to go to war against these chuds, these cannibalistic humanoid underground dwellers to war yeah, I want to go to war much. Um now, george Kevin McAllister, dad, he realizes someone's broken into his apartment while all this is going on because, in order to get the evidence they needed, marv and captain Bosch Bosch have broken into his apartment and stolen stolen, all the photos of homeless people. So he's aware, the hell are all my photos. This is crazy. And he says to his girlfriend have you seen them? She's like no, I don't know where they are. And he's like well, someone's broken into our apartment. Marv and Bosch meet up again. Bosch, big Bosch, stop saying this. I'll help you if you're drinking while you listen. Every time gav says Bosch in this particular way please take a swig. Uh. So Bosch tells marv about the monster autopsy and says I've seen one of them. They're real. They showed me the body. Um, this is, this is real and I'm getting, I'm putting together a war.
Gav: I'm getting a war started against these chud things underground and marv's like it's like a jaws moment where they go right, let's just go down there now. So, uh, let's go like out now in the water, like in jaws, that one pump they're drunk yeah let's do it, let's go, let's go, let's go.
Dan: What now? Yeah, okay, cool, um. So they go to the sewer. Meanwhile, while that's happening, george and the reporters go to the sewer as well. So they're going to go down there and find out what's going on. But the reporter gets killed by a chud chud chud, chud, chud, chud, chud, chud, chud, chud. Um Bosch in city hall finds out that the government are going to flood sewers with gas and he's thinking I've got flame powers down there. This isn't good and what they're planning to do is just gas them all, any that might be left over. But what they don't realize is is that the reporter and marv are down there sorry reporter and Kevin McCann is just out of down there. So they're going to kill some innocence as well, as well as all the homeless people that live down there, and this is the point that they don't care about the homeless people no they just want to hide the problem, hide the nuclear waste, hide the mutation isn't hiding the problem the government of the homeless, something they've always done yeah, really yeah. Oh, gas, getting political guys. Oh, anything else you want to say? No, I love it. Um, yeah, chud kills the reporter. George runs off, um marv tries to find another exit and he sees he accidentally comes across like six chuds who seem to be doing some kind of like ritual, like they're praying or doing something. They've got all got their arms up in the air and they're also going uh um, yeah, that's a really cool moment.
Gav: I wish I'd lingered on that for longer, because he's really cool he peeps around the corner, doesn't he's?
Dan: like 70s Italian and then he goes back and then he sneaks out, but then he acts that he makes a noise with his foot and they all turn around so he runs off. Uh, cut back to pregnant Lauren, who's she's now found this trap door in her basement. She thinks hmm trap door oh good, there's something down. There was a. There was an animated kid show. For anyone who's not from the UK, there's an animated kid show, uh claim to claim motion yeah, claymation. Stop motion animation about um. It was called trap door and it's brilliant. Each episode was only four minutes long and it was about a guy called Burke, a big, round blue creature, and he basically lived in a castle with bones and a little skull called bony um, and upstairs you never heard what, you never saw him, but you only ever heard his voice. He always wanted feeding, so Burke would have to get something at the trap door for him. In each episode, in every episode, something would come out a different animal creature, ghost, zombie whatever it was, sort of get it back in it was brilliant. It was so simple. Yeah, that's it, that was it, but yeah, that's what we were singing there. Trap door, there's a bit on youtube, easy to find. Yeah, stoners, stoners, you love it but yeah, she decides it's probably a good idea to go down into this trap door underneath her basement and she finds the dead dog from the beginning of the film. So she screams, she's not happy about it. Um morning comes and Bosch and the cops have been called out. This is brutal. Been called to the the docks because, uh, someone's found a body it's right. His acting doesn't make it a fit scene brutal, so it's fine and as they get closer, one of the cops says oh my god, it's his wife's head, it's.
Gav: Bosch's wife's head, just that. Oh, bosch isn't too bobbas it's fine.
Dan: Well, he is. Because he goes straight to a bar and gets absolutely shit-faced and the cops are like, uh, should we just take you home soon? He's like no, no, no, he's gonna have another drink. It's fine.
Gav: Um, meanwhile, Lauren calls it's better than him sorry, uh.
Dan: Meanwhile, um, lauren calls the cops and says there is a mutilated dog under my basement. Someone's put it there, please, it's creeping me out, can someone come? Um? And while she's on the phone, something creeps out of her trap door. So because she feels a bit dirty, gav, and because it's a 1984 film, she decides to go and have a shower she's dirty, so I thought the corner of her trap door she's dirty, so she's gonna have a shower. Yes, all sorts of wrong here so she's having a lovely shower and suddenly the shower plug seems to be clogged up, doesn't it? Yeah do you think so? Yeah, I'll have to put my hands down here and unclog this uh this train and loads of blood fires out of the shower drain into her face, but it's good always good blood splurts in the face and here is john goodman in the next scene in his first ever film lection on a woman yeah, so he's a cop with some other cops in a bit of a cafe.
Gav: He's got some quick, quick comebacks yeah.
Dan: She says, oh, you're really asking for it, and he came up for it himself I'm not sure. There's one point where he's really flirting with the bum and serving them and she says oh, you're really asking for it. He says I've been asking for it all my life. I just never get it. It's like are you being a real pervert? You're supposed to be a cop. What's going on? Well, anyway, he gets his comeuppance because just before he can eat his cheeseburger and say any more perverted lines he reacts he reacts to something that's it that's it. Some chuds come in and they're massacred all the cops.
Gav: We don't know that.
Dan: We don't see any of that we see that a bit later on, yeah, so he's out unfortunately. My note here says the chuds surround the hamburger bar yeah that's exactly what happens.
Gav: We just hear lots of screaming which, if you're in there eating a hamburger, it's a good burger. You're like, man, this comes in top 10. And you're like this is gonna be top five, all bugs, and like this is gonna be top three. At that point, you're just going down to go. Could this be top one? At that point, chuds of attacking outside do you not even looking? Do you continue the burger?
Trailer Voice: are you?
Dan: do you harry you see, I'm can die happy because I've eaten the best burger in new york. True true I don't care if he's chudging then, then worry about it. Worry about it with indigestion in a moment now we get a real it's halion sort of style scene next, with a little boy who is playing in his apartment the same apartment block that the chuds have come out of the sewer's in and he hears banging on the door. Something's trying to get in his apartment and he thinks oh, I'll unlock it, but he can't reach it.
Gav: No, and then his mum's like jimmy, jimmy, come and get your dinner and I cross that kid that kids could be running the street as soon as he can he's never heard of stranger danger, is he?
Dan: he's just he's getting in people's vans left right in center for freeing off well, he runs off to his dinner. But then he runs back at the last minute because he forgot his toy car. But, um, luckily nothing happened. And as he runs off into the other room, the door bursts open and the chud's arms come through. So there's now a chud impression. So there's now a chud bursting into his apartment and probably other apartments in the block as well. Now, back at the diner, we see the aftermath of the thing they never showed. They showed us all the press are there, all reporters, cops, and it's a blood bath.
Gav: There's blood everywhere, there's a radio dj, like sort of saying over the top to make the plot even a little bit more, like well, what's going on here? They're sort of saying like there's, uh, there's, it's really weird, there's.
Dan: There's no bodies, there's no witnesses, just blood everywhere yeah, and they sort of say, oh, it's a gas. I think it's a gas explosion. Why?
Gav: is it gas every time?
Dan: it's like weather balloons, whenever something happens to the government or like it's a weather balloon it's like it's.
Gav: It's like uh uh aeroplane gag or something. Do you know what I mean? A bloome, don't gas.
Dan: Bloome, don't gas, it's just gas no, I saw the chud, the chud, ate my leg in front of me. No, let's just gas. It was gas. It's just gas, my friend, just gas. But yes, blood everywhere. No bodies. Meanwhile, george is still on the ground and he finds lots and lots and lots of dead bodies. Um, I was half a homeless person. You what? Sorry? Oh yeah, he finds half. I thought you said I was half a homeless person Months, I thought you were revealing some which half.
Gav: It's like a sexual thing. I get I sort of dress, half of me sort of more, like more freddy clothes, sort of different clothing.
Dan: I was once half of a Bandsome horse. I was once half of a homeless person yeah, great. So the plan to pump the gas into the series is still going ahead. Bosch tries to stop it because he also knows that his buddies are under them. And Lauren sees all of this happening on the news and they again. They say a gas explosion is to blame for all these dead cops in a grill bar. No, is it, though? Is it really? Is it really so? The chud start coming after Lauren, she blocks the door, and then we cut back and forth between her and what's going on at the diner here and the surrounding area, because the cops get killed. George and Marr find some nuclear waste. So this is the cause of it all. Yep, and what's been happening for years is that the government have just been chucking all their nuclear waste under New York. No, just not Not caring about what happens to it, who it mutates into, a chud or anything. Don't care about giant alligators on injured turtles or chuds living under the sewers, don't care. Don't care about the homeless people, but they just they need to find a way to let people know that they're underground.
Gav: Come back to Lauren's apartment and you can really see the chuds like really clearly here. They look great.
Dan: Yeah, they're. It is really good practical effects. Mutant red eyes yeah, and it's a guy in a suit, but just looks great.
Gav: One of them's head's going to really stretch his fur out, which is really weird, and she just gets a bat and just saw what she gets something and she cuts it off.
Dan: She gets a samurai sword off of him Ah cool. And she chops his head off and it's a great shot and in fact the head looks great when it rolls across the ground and the eyes are still sort of glowing. Yeah, just so happens, they have a samurai sword hanging on the wall. Yeah, it's good to have one of those, just in case.
Gav: Dude escapes from the drains.
Dan: Yeah, well, don't forget, lauren steals a police car. She's such a badass that she steals a police car because she wants to go and rescue. You know her, her bloke. So she's stolen a police car. Amongst all of this nonsense, yeah, they want to get out, but they park a car on top of the sewer. The police do so that the guys can get out of the sewers. Bosch gets shot and it all is. You know, like some films we say they, they, the third act was a bit, it dragged a bit too much. Yeah, but for me the third act goes too quickly. It all happened so quickly. It wraps up in the last 15 minutes, so much goes on. Offer the dragon myself. Oh, really, yeah, okay, well, they eventually fight their way out. The guy that the sort of not the mayor, but the man in the office is trying to stop all of this and cover it all up, he rams his truck at them.
Gav: Why? Oh yeah, because it's trying to cover up.
Dan: Yeah, but they they end up shooting him. The whole truck explodes. Bosch is actually still alive, even though he got shot. He's lying there on the ground, marv's helping him and Lauren and George kiss as the van burns behind them. Quite a nice shot and real practical. They actually set a van on fire Again. You wouldn't do these, do that these days, but they set a van on fire and they just kissed right in front of it and that's it.
Gav: That's it what happened to the chuds.
Dan: They all got burnt and exploded in the fire.
Gav: Oh, right, fair enough, yeah, yeah.
Dan: No, it feels like we rushed through that, but that is because it snowballs so quickly that the third act just bounces along at such a pace. And it's quite a short film anyway. I think it's only about 80 minutes long.
Gav: They didn't have a huge amount of speak of it. Really it was okay-ish.
Dan: Okay Again, for me the plot is really good. I love the whole government cover-up. I love that kind of stuff. Throwing stuff in the sewers, throwing radiation and things being mutated Love all of that. My biggest problem is there aren't enough chuds in this. I want more chuds. Gav More chuds.
Gav: I'll be on my great scene.
Dan: I would like to have seen more of the chuds?
Gav: Absolutely, that would be splendid. I think that's the best way. They should have gone with it. More of that stuff. I think a film could have been fucking amazing classic but I feel like it was handled okay, but not amazingly, it's all right, but it could have been like man, that's a great movie People wouldn't really have got it because back then probably because it was so anti-the-man People didn't want that in their horror films.
Dan: They just wanted A to B. They didn't want to understand a government cover-up Around.
Gav: Then you would have had quite a lot of government cover-up movies, which would have been as I got it's, definitely with Watergate type things going on, yeah, but I do think this is the kind of If you went in to watch this.
Dan: You're not the kind of audience member that would be wanting that right Like a teenage boy is going to watch this, so that's probably what it did. It's become a cult classic on VHS over time.
Gav: I think I actually have it on VHS, but it's hard to get to, but I'm pretty sure I have got it on VHS.
Dan: Nice Well, it's definitely one that people talk about. It's in that weird genre of radioactive mutated mutant creatures that basket case, chud and a few other things fall into. Yeah, and if you're into that sort of thing, you'll want to check out that sort of subgenre.
Gav: but do check out chud. It's a good start. I think it's more of a A good start in.
Dan: I think it's more commercial than basket case.
Gav: So I think this is going to be the more accessible one. I think it'll be alligator as well.
Dan: Yeah, yeah, yeah, ninja Turtles, that's slightly off. I would say this is the more sort of commercially accessible of the two. I think if you want to be disturbed, watch basket case, but if you just want to be sort of entertained, watch chud. But they're both decent films. It's a thumbs up from me, yeah, it's a thumbs up from me, I think. So you prefer this one to basket case. Yeah, what I'll say is my sign off with both of these really is with such low budgets they really did a great job and horror films didn't do, didn't make loads of money at this time, but on video they did, and both of these did great on rental and pirate probably, and I think they for me, revisiting them after many, many years, they kind of still hold up well. They've got a lot to say about society, government mutation, that kind of stuff, even family stuff in basket case, and they're surprisingly entertaining still. Which do I prefer? It's difficult to say. I've always loved chud, but actually I think I slightly prefer a basket case, just for I get the same sensation as when I watch, like Texas Chainsaw Massacre or something a bit grimy, you know, and you're like, why don't I watch that?
Gav: Fair enough.
Dan: But no, they're decent. And yeah, check it out, check out chud. But the chud is. A lot of people love that one. I probably love that one more than chud.
Gav: I don't know if I watch it again. I might be like this is awful, but I probably would.
Dan: Yeah, I doubt if we'll ever cover it. But yeah, chud big chud a thumbs, chud chud, thumb, chud, thumb, pfft up it goes.
Gav: Right, let's get into the outro and we're back again.
Dan: Thanks for listening, thanks for chudding with us.
Gav: We'll see you in the next episode.
Dan: We'll see you in the next episode. If you've got a basket with something in it, give us some of your raw sausages.
Gav: Yeah, by the same guy? I think no, not by the same guy. It's a dude who was maybe on set for something. He's a younger guy, also of age, I think.
Dan: Well, there we go. So, yeah, fun episode Been wanting to revisit these two for a while. There are two movies that I don't often hear people talk about, so I always love it when we cover films that other podcasts or other shows don't really mention too often, and we've still got so many classics to come. Talking of which, should we talk about what our next few episodes are going to be?
Gav: Yeah, please.
Dan: Okay. So for the next episode, episode 145, we've got a little anthology special. We're going to be covering the Twilight Zone Movie from 83, and Cat's Eye, the Stephen King film from 85. Drew Barrymore is in that one. So a couple of good little anthologies there to talk about Interesting, yeah. And then after that will be our Christmas episode slash, our 10 year anniversary episode.
Gav: This is weird.
Dan: Which is weird. We must say that only a few days ago, it was 10 years ago that our Facebook page was created.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: Which is nuts. 10 years that's been going.
Gav: If anybody does want to send a message in, we shall play it if you wish to you know, yeah, or even just write something and we'll read it out.
Dan: I will be putting the reminders out as we enter closer to that. Yeah, it is really weird Longer than some people have had jobs. So, yeah, we'll be covering National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation for that one, because we both love that movie and it's Christmas and it's our 10 year anniversary, so screw it, that'll be a fun one, and then we'll talk all things Christmasy and we'll probably reflect on 10 years of podcasting.
Gav: We're just doing one movie Home Alone yeah, yeah, not Home Alone. What is it?
Dan: National Lampoon's.
Gav: Christmas yeah.
Dan: And we can cover Home Alone as well my favourite Christmas film of the time, yeah that's fine. Yeah, so that's episode 146, and then that takes us into 2024. So the first, our first episode of that year, of next year, will be a patron pick, a pa-pa-pa-pa, patron pick, pick, pick, pick. And it's back to Matthew Godley.
Gav: Oh yeah, I never looked for that thing last time.
Dan: A patron pick, pick, pick, pick. So for episode 147, our first episode of next year, matthew has selected two very different films. We will be covering the brutal and gritty British Brutal. The brutal there's a new word will be covering the brutal British dirty uncomfortable Revenge.
Gav: Thriller Revenge thriller.
Dan: It's called Dead Man's Shoes, from 2004. Excellent film, really good stuff. And he's paired that one up with none other than 1980s Flash Gordon, amazing. So, that's going to be a hell of a way to kick off the new year.
Gav: Or only feet away from Brian Blessers a couple of days ago.
Dan: Yeah, Gav sent me a photo. He went to Redding Comic-Con to promote Sanctuary Moon and sent me a selfie of him smiling, and in the background there was a very old Brian Blesser at a table signing people's photos yeah, probably shouting at them.
Gav: Hopefully he doesn't die soon or go missing, because last time I did that was with Julian Sands. I sent it to Sarah like that.
Dan: And then he went missing, julian Sands, and he's dead. Rest in peace, julian Sands, we covered your movie. I'm Ratanaphobia.
Gav: Yeah.
Dan: So yeah, that's Matthew's episode. Matthew's episode coming up the other day someone on a Facebook post, just someone.
Gav: All the horror movies come out this year. And I went, wow, not one isn't a remake. And someone went what I think trying to like question me like I don't know what I was talking about or something. I don't know why, because it's very easy to see that. And I went, what? Ratanaphobia is not a remake, it's a remake. I was like, yes, what's original is great.
Dan: Yeah, I forgot they're remaking that. It's a shame that there's so many remakes.
Gav: Or making another movie, Spider movie, or make the same Spider movie they're making and don't call it Ratanaphobia.
Dan: Yeah.
Gav: That's fairly easy.
Dan: There's been a few spider films out. It's Hibitsia watched recently. It wasn't very good, though you know I don't think anything really can live up to Ratanaphobia because it isn't a horror movie as such, although it is terrifying.
Gav: It's a great movie, it's just a it's never watched it. I'm like, come on, it's one like it's accessible for kids. One.
Dan: Well, what's good about it is it's all wrapped up in a sort of family friendly, spielberg type Spielberg type thing, but then it's a really creepy creature feature it's such a good movie.
Gav: It's a good movie.
Dan: Yeah, we covered that for our Spider episode many, many, many many years ago, along with eight-legged freaks. So yeah, that's our next three episodes. So yeah, it's crazy that we're talking about it next year now. But yeah, christmas episode, then into New Year, then after that will be your birthday at the end of January and we already know now that we're covering the Sorcerer and Studio 666. I'm excited to watch that because I haven't ever seen it so You're appreciated because it's a love letter to 80s horror.
Gav: Yeah, jc is in it as well, kind of in the same way like in our Ross Dermot Thanksgiving, but actually more fun. Tongue and cheek like really good go at times in it as well, I look forward to that.
Dan: I quite like the Food Fighters as well.
Gav: Dave Grohl's great in it actually. Yeah.
Dan: Yeah, he's a pretty good actor in anything.
Gav: I've seen One of these band members, a guy called Pat is absolutely appalling, but it's kind of endearing, okay, and obviously one of he's gone to sweet.
Dan: One of those guys passed away recently as well. Yeah, we can talk about that as well, cool, alrighty. Well, let me do some admin and then we can say our goodbyes and farewells, if you may, if I may.
Gav: You may.
Dan: Oh, you may.
Trailer Voice: Before yeah.
Gav: You can be may away. So thank you, may away Say, say I may.
Dan: Say I may.
Gav: Away. Okay, roll around in the hay.
Dan: So thank you for listening.
Trailer Voice: Thanks for listening out of clay.
Dan: As always, we are the podcast on a haunted hill. We are a proud member of Legion Podcasts Network. If you head over to the website, which is legionpodcasts.com you can find out about us and all the other shows that are a part of that network and all of their back catalogs. Yep, that's it. Hey, Now we are most active on Facebook. We have a Facebook page which has been running for 10 years now, we can say, which is crazy. So just go on Facebook and search for the podcast on haunted hill. You do have to ask to be added. Now that seems to have stopped the porn spam, so that's great. We no longer are getting that because I've made it a private group. But as long as you're a real person and not a bot and you haven't been on Facebook just for one month, then I'll probably allow you to join. Not that I'm being a little Nazi, but I have to be careful because I don't want to log into porn spam, if you remember, and legion have a Facebook page as well, which is legionpodcasts. It's probably self explanatory. If you want to message us, tell us what you'd like us to do next, or if you want to ask us a question, give us some feedback. You can either message me on Facebook or you can email us at: the podcast on hauntedhill at outlook.com That's outlook.com We're really listening to us now, as we're where you can continue to listen to us. So platforms Spotify, YouTube, pod night, Apple podcast app, pod bean and all the other bits and bobs. We're on Instagram, which I use mainly to promote the episodes, and I always attach a link to a little montage, a little collage of the movies that we've covered for that episode. It's just the podcast on haunted hill Insta. If you follow that, that'd be brilliant and I'll follow you back. And yeah, you can just look at the little monta collages I've created and you'll have a link to the episode there as well. And aside from that, we are also deadbolt films. So go to deadboltfilmscom or visit our YouTube channel. It's just deadbolt films. Right now we have Star Wars, Sanctuary Moon. We've got just over 9000 views in just over two weeks. We're very proud of that project. Please watch it. Let us know what you think. Just watch it. Tell your friends about it, your Star Wars fan friends, your horror fan friends, anybody who likes film, anybody who likes, you know, low budget filmmaking. Just tell people. Tell them to watch it. We've done so well with it. We're so proud of it.
Gav: And we've sort of updated the YouTube channel, so have a little look around. It's a lot more cleaned up and it's got a few other short films and bits and bobs Deadbolt films are on Instagram as well.
Dan: It's just deadbolt films, so that's where to find them. And finally, we're also on Patreon, as mentioned. We have patrons who get a Patreon pick. I'll come back to that in a moment. So if you want to become a patron and support the show in a monetary fashion and help us keep things ticking over, then that's brilliant and we would really appreciate that. But we would still always do this even if we didn't have one single patron. We'd be doing this for free. But if you do become a patron, just go to Patreon and type in podcast on the hill. Again, message me if you can't find the link and I'll send you in the right direction. If you become a patron, you will get a free t-shirt. You will get access to lots of, but all of our entire show back at Slough, because I'm dropping one every Friday in order. Currently, we've just dropped episode 105, I think. So we've been doing that for 105 weeks in a row. Now you also get to pick your own show. So every three episodes we will have a patron pick, where the patron picks the two films and gives us so many review or some interesting information about why they picked those, and we'll read all that out and you get to wear the crown. The crown for that episode will be the king or queen patron and, yeah, you'll also get me reading out your name in a silly voice, which I'll be doing in just a moment, gav.
Gav: I think they always look forward to that.
Dan: It's probably the main reason.
Gav: It is probably the reason.
Dan: But yeah, even if you just want to donate one pound or one dollar a month, any little helps. It helps us to keep the show ticking over. Buy equipment, rent films, buy films, yeah, it's amazing, it really is amazing. So, as always, a big thank you to our patrons. So thank you very much, and I'll try and do these in a bit of a chud voice or a basket case voice.
Gav: I always feel like I should say thank you. I don't know what to do. I'll just stay quiet, though, and let you do it.
Dan: No, you can say thank you after each one.
Gav: Oh fine, I never know Okay.
Dan: I quite like the way that dynamics built up. So first of all I would like to thank Gun-Ko-Ye. Thank you.
Gav: Thank you Godly, Thank you very much.
Dan: I hope you guys can understand what I'm saying.
Gav: Thank you very much, kevin. Earth's Fire oh, sounds like a biggin. Thank you very much. Thank you very much, jesus. Thank you, so okay. Thank you, oh communications, oh traffic.
Dan: Welcome Contacting. Oh, drive them in, please. Thank you, take it easy attentously, boy. Okay, cool, so hoo, thank you, thank you, oh, thank you, oh, thank you. And, lexbro, I will be reminding you all on Facebook to drop us messages and voice clips and whatever else is you want us to do for our 10 year anniversary, because we did that for our five year, which only seems like yesterday, really. That was what did we do for that one. We did Predator, didn't we for that?
Gav: one yeah.
Dan: Gosh, that was five years ago now. Yeah, so that's it. That's it from us. Thank you very much everybody. Hey Gav, thank you Dan, thank me and thank you. It's a good night from my funny little brother who lives in a basket next to me and watches me get with the receptionist from my doctor surgery.
Gav: Oh, red flag, red flag. It's a good night from Dan.
Dan: It's a good night from someone I know that used to pretend someone was in the wardrobe watching him and his wife.
Gav: Did you?
Dan: Not me, somebody else I told that story earlier, oh yeah it's a good night from Gav. And it's a good night from Chud. Oh, good night, chud. Imagine if my name was Chud Bone.
Gav: Yeah, let's not go there. It sounds like a weird thing you do.
Dan: Listen, guys, take care, remember, check under the sewers, check in your basements and check in your baskets of laundry because, there might just be a chud watching you have sex.
Gav: Sniffing on your pants.
Dan: Yeah, what a treat for basket cases and chuds.
Gav: Thank you for listening to the podcast on Haunted Hill. We will be back again real soon.