Nikolay: Hello, hello, this is PostgresFM, a podcast about Postgres. Hi, Michael. Sorry for Mike last time.
Michael: That's all right, Nik. I don't even notice normally.
Nikolay: Right. Nik is fine. So, episode number almost 90. I don't remember exactly. Like, Do you remember? You always remember.
Michael: I remember, but you told me not to remind you anymore until we get to Milestone. And you're the only one that ever brings up the episode number.
Nikolay: Really?
Michael: I never mention it.
Nikolay: Okay. Interesting. So we are going to talk about what?
Michael: Oh yes, so this week was your suggestion, and it's a cool 1. It's going to be a new feature in Postgres 17, hopefully. It's committed, but you never know for sure. And it's transaction timeout, a new parameter that we'll have hopefully in the next version.
Nikolay: I can show off, it was my idea. But most of the work, Andrey did, Andrey Borodin did. So it started during our PostgresTV hacking Postgres session.
Michael: Which are back now, right? After a long pause.
Nikolay: Well, yes, we'll try. Nobody knows. It's hard to arrange usually because to do proper hacking, you need a lot of time. Last time we did restart it, we talked about this transaction timeout and Andrei tried to write tests because former tests needed to be removed. By the way, I also wanted to say thanks to Alexander Korotkov who committed this patch. Honestly, I even didn't ask. So it was good to see that it's committed. And so session finished after 90 minutes by timeout because we needed to go. Session about timeout finished. Okay, now you're smiling. So, transaction timeout. It took a few years for me to understand something is wrong. We don't have something. Then, last year, like a year ago, I started thinking, it should be. My idea was maybe I'm very wrong or I'm very right. So it's so strange in 2023 to think about this basic setting. But honestly, the last few years, I already suggested to everyone to consider the transaction timeout to be applied on application level. In 100% of cases, I saw a very strange look, if it was a video meeting. It was a very strange look, like Postgres cannot do it? Yes, Postgres cannot do transaction timeout, but you do need it and we can discuss why. So I always say, do it always on the application side if you have LTP, because, you know, like anyway, HTTP has timeout. A server, for example, NGINX, like 30 seconds, it's normal, right? Nobody will wait many minutes, unless it's a specific request. Sometimes we can wait a few minutes, but usually we have a limit. And Postgres doesn't have this transaction timeout. It has only statement timeout and idle transaction session timeout. But no transaction timeout.
Michael: And also, so I looked into when we got each of these, and statement timeout was ages ago, like 7.3, would you believe? And then idle in transaction session timeout was actually more recent than I realized--- It's 9.6, which is probably only about 7 or 8 years ago. And then we also got more recently idle session timeout.
Nikolay: Which is different. It's outside of normal work. It's for like, let's drop the connection if it doesn't do anything.
Michael: Yeah, but that was a recent, like, version 14 edition. So still only a couple of years ago.
Nikolay: Ah, you want to say that it's also a very, very basic thing and only added recently? Yeah, I agree with that. Usually people implemented it outside Postgres as well, to drop connections.
Michael: I've seen less need for that one than I have seen for this one, but like you, I didn't, it's one of those things that I kind of didn't realize I needed because statement timeout can cover a lot of the base, like a lot of the use cases can be just about coped with via statement timeout, but one or two really can't. And I think I saw your post and I'll link it up the mailing list thread that I think Andre started, but your first reply to that included some really good examples of when you do need this in addition to statement timeout or like instead of statement timeout. So is it worth like covering a couple of those? Yeah.
Nikolay: Yeah, let's discuss why we use statement timeout in OLTP like in regular the most common cases like web and mobile apps. We had an episode about that and I think it was the very first episode maybe. Speaking of counting.
Michael: Yeah, we've done a few other episodes related to this as well. We did one on connections, one on zero downtime migrations.
Nikolay: No, I'm talking about the very first episode. What was it?
Michael: Yeah, slow queries.
Nikolay: Slow queries, yes. And this is about statement amount, basically. But people don't do SQL queries. I mean, end users, web and mobile app users, they don't do SQL queries. So they work at a higher level, HTTP requests. So why do we need statement timeout at all? Why? What is the problem we are solving? I have this honest question because in my opinion, when we think about what we try to solve with statement timeout, it's not the right tool usually. For example, again, users work at a high level and we know some intermediate software settings, middleware, which is usually written in some Python, Java, Ruby, anything. These application servers and also an HTTP server, like maybe front end server, like an NGINX or something, and VoIP, right? They usually have some limits to drop connections which last too long, if a server is taking too long to respond, or communication taking too long, usually like 30 or 60 seconds. This is what users will get if something which should take 100 milliseconds or less, takes 30 seconds. It's time to admit there is a problem and tell the user that, like, for 502 gateway timeout, it's usually what NGINX was returning. And then we, back to database, we think, OK, we need to limit as well. But what exactly do we need to limit? This is the question. Is the statement timeout the right tool for that?
Michael: I do think there's a like, a lot of cases where it's enough. So if, for example, we're trying to, in that case, let's say, for example, the users or like the app has already given up, but the database carries on working. Yeah, that's doing pointless kind of, that's pointless work. So avoiding pointless work would be great. But there are other cases too, where even if the app didn't have a timeout, is it okay for a few users of a system to be using all the resources when, you know, like hogging those resources by running some really, really slow or really, really heavy queries. Is that an acceptable trade-off or do you want to limit that? So I think there are other slightly different cases. Right, but
Nikolay: Work is not... Statements are too small. It's too atomic a piece, right?
Michael: Well, I think there's... Before we move on to why transaction timeout, there's also one other case which I think or maybe maybe this makes the point perfectly. These long-running transactions, even if they're a single statement transaction, they can block internal processes like autovacuum and cause issues that we've, I mean, we've spent multiple episodes talking about the kind of issues that long-running statements could cause, never mind long-running multi-statement transactions.
Nikolay: No, no, no, no, not statements block it. Transactions.
Michael: But as you've said multiple times, you can't have a statement without a transaction. So like a long-running statement is enough, but you're right that...
Nikolay: You can have a statement without transactions for example creating an index concurrently. Three transactions I mean, you're okay without a transaction completely. No, no dirty reads.
Michael: Exactly right,
Nikolay: Right, right. So yeah, but like we want to apply the right tool. It means that it should suit for all edge and corner cases. And I'm saying statement timeout is for a different hole to close.
Michael: You gave a really great example that completely sold me in that email thread I mentioned.
Nikolay: Email?
Michael: Yes. And that was a case I've seen actually quite recently, which was... ...taratatata.
Nikolay: Yeah, I call it... It's like from a machine gun. Yeah, but - statements coming from a machine gun. Brief statements with brief pause.
Michael: And somebody setting a transaction at the beginning, so in the case I saw, it was deliberately taking out, like doing begin, then doing multiple updates or like upsets in this case, and then only at the end committing it. So any one of those statements was really short, but because they were doing tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands, I think, in this case, the transaction as a whole was longer than you'd probably want on a OLTP system. So in that case, statement timeout wouldn't have helped, or at least any sane statement timeout wouldn't have cancelled that. But a transaction timeout...
Nikolay: An idle transaction session timeout wouldn't cancel this transaction because the breaks are also short.
Michael: Yeah, it's not idle, exactly.
Nikolay: It's like from a machine gun. It can be select plus 1, by the way, if it's wrapped in a transaction block. Select plus 1, this anti-pattern, which...
Michael: Like n plus 1.
Nikolay: 0, sorry. Yes, yes. Yeah, yeah. I mean, it's actually a terrible name, but the idea is that it's n selects in a loop. So, we didn't notice that they have a loop. It can be short updates with the idea that we want to make them short because it's better, you know, like to... But if it's wrapped into a transaction, you cannot release any locks until the very end of the transaction. This is the rule. All locks are released only if it's a commit or rollback. That's it. And so it's a bad idea to split into batches, updates or deletes. Insert is almost never, I think, an issue. It makes sense to split. An insert should be a single massive insert, usually. Like copy or insert. But if it's updates and deletes, people know there's a rule to split, then they put it in a single transaction and what's happening here. What do we do? We're accumulating a lot of logs and not releasing them. So there are only 2 reasons, the big reasons I see. Well, the source of the transition is 1 reason, but there are 2 problems which are very bright. They scream let's have transaction timeout. They did it for many years and I always say, okay, this is a problem we must solve on the application side. We cannot do it in PostgreSQL at all. Surprise. Well, we can use pg-cron and put maybe some, I call it terminator snippet, working with pg_stat_activity, checking the exact start, like transaction start timestamp, and then terminating. So terminator script. This name is derived from pg_terminate_backend. So was it renamed or no? I don't remember. pg_start_backup was renamed. It's about naming and I support it. Well, I'm having 3 in my speech, sorry. So, pg_start_backup was renamed to pg_basebackup start. So the same should happen with pg_terminate_backend, I think. Now, pg_terminate_backend should be pg_backend_terminate. So, this terminate script is also like a workaround. It should be some simple solution. Let's not allow too long-running transactions. Because we keep locks, this is problem number 1 we just discussed. And second problem you mentioned, keeping xmin horizon frozen basically, not shifting. Which means that all, like xmin horizon is the hidden xmin value of a tuple which is the oldest in the system and we usually cannot... Autovacuum usually comes and deletes it at that time, we delete it but we cannot delete it if there is some transaction which still can read from this because xmin is like current time not past, not the past for this transaction which means that if we keep our transaction we block this xmin frozen and that means that Autovacuum cannot delete dead tuples, more and more of them, freshly dead tuples, I call them. Or maybe it can be improved this name. So these 2 problems, locks and xmin horizon frozen. Locks are not released and they both can hit and a lot of people can notice and you can even be down down server can be down in some cases and you cannot limit it inclusion in Postgres 16 I was so happy to realize I'm not mad. It's obvious and I think it was discussed maybe, so shouldn't discuss many times, but we just went ahead, many things to Andrej, just went ahead and coded it. Then many strange cases started to appear. For example, sub-transactions or conflict with statement_timeout, which should fire first, for example.
Michael: That's a good point. Do you want to talk a tour about in this future, like once Postgres 17 is out, if you're designing a new OLTP system, are you even using, like, do you normally use global statement timeouts? And if you did in the past would you now replace that or would you use both with different settings how would you
Nikolay: do it? Good question, good question. So first of all in documentation we can read that setting statement timeout globally is not a good idea and I think it's a very bad idea to write this in documentation because we discussed, even in HTTP server, application server, they have their own timeouts database is usually the most like... Data intensive work is usually in database unless we talk about some other stuff happening now outside of web and mobile apps, right? I mean AI stuff like in GPU and so on. So we want to limit in all OLTP systems, we definitely want to limit our work to 30 seconds maybe. It's a good limit. This article and our very first episode is about basics, which are so like 30 years, like 40 years since the beginning of the Internet. People don't like to wait more than a second, in a normal case. It means that we don't want to limit globally and be protected. Only specific users which need it, always can change it, unless it's restricted. So you just set statement timeout or anything and go. Of course, if DDL is needed to be executed, for example, create index concurrently, of course, you also should remove this limit. But global setting is protection, it should be there for OLTP case. And Postgres is like, OLTP is the main case. We don't usually think about analytical queries. So it means that I always recommend setting this and documentation is having bad advice in this case. So 30 seconds, my recommendation. Sometimes 15, it's better.
Michael: Oh, wow.
Nikolay: Yeah, well, even 10 maybe. It depends. It raises the bar requirement for queries that this is about quality actually. So if your query is poorly designed or you forgot to create a proper index something like a bad plan, be killed. But now with transaction timeout, I would say statement timeout might be not needed at all.
Michael: Interesting. I wondered if you were going to say that.
Nikolay: So again, my logic is applied at a higher level. This is about each feature. If we go down, in both cases, database specific, Postgres specific cases I mentioned, they also apply to a transaction level at higher levels. We don't care about statement and breaks between statements.
Michael: And do you think like same order of magnitude? Like you mentioned 30, I've seen 60 seconds quite often mentioned as a sensible default, so 30 seconds not too different. Would you go similar, like for any reason to double it or like increase it, like add a little bit of buffer there or just similar number?
Nikolay: No, no, no, Why buffer? Set it to 30, solve all problems and then consider going even down. And if we talk about statement timeout, why at all? Like we need it, like, okay, we put it, but what if we have transaction timeout 30 seconds, for example, which statement timeout would I use? 30 seconds maybe as well. But it's already solved.
Michael: I don't think there's any, that wouldn't make sense to me. But I was wondering if you might say you know statement timeout 30 seconds transaction timeout, 60 seconds and
Nikolay: Transaction? I don't... transaction session timeout, 60 seconds. But when transaction timeout? What? Session timeout, you mean?
Michael: No, no, no, transaction. So, transactions can consist of multiple statements, right? Right. So, there's no need to have a statement timeout that is bigger or equal to the transaction timeout.
Nikolay: It doesn't make sense.
Michael: So the only thing that could make sense would be a statement timeout that's less than the transaction timeout.
Nikolay: Right.
Michael: But it seems pretty neat. Yeah.
Nikolay: But again, like if you take transaction timeout, which is already quite good, restrictive, 30 or 60 seconds, then I think statement amount... And I don't see logical to go down. Okay, it's about resources. If you go down, maybe you save some resources by killing some statement earlier than the transaction. But it's not the main reason to have transaction command for me. Well, of course. Maybe it's actually super important. Maybe I just forgot that we use it. Okay, I don't know. I saw so many incidents where even statement timeout was not achieved, but resources were spent fully. So I don't know. I mean, we have very restrictive statement timeout, very, very low. And still CPU 100% and everything is down because a lot of work is happening. So statement timeout doesn't protect you, even 15 seconds. I mean, to start protecting, maybe I would like to have it 1 second. In this case, I think it will start protecting.
Michael: Interesting.
Nikolay: But 30 seconds is too high.
Michael: Yeah, it's a tricky one, right? Because yeah, I think there's a growing, and I know you mentioned analytical isn't our primary case, but there's a growing trend that I'm seeing of kind of hybrid. I've had it called HTAP databases where people don't want to spin up a second analytical, like a warehouse or something, and they're trying to run some small analytical queries on their like OLTP database, which means you do get these kind of the odd several second query or at least hundreds of milliseconds running on the same database. So I can see how it could get tricky for some folks. But I think that the 30 seconds and the higher feels like a sane starting point, as you mentioned. And if you start to see some errors from those, look into them. And if you don't, look into what your slowest queries are and whether you can reduce it.
Nikolay: In case of HTAP, I will just have another database user specifically for long-running queries. I will adjust this setting maybe setting it to a couple or maybe 5 minutes and allowing to last longer, that's it.
Michael: Yeah, that's a good point that I don't know if we mentioned yet that these can be set at the role level, at a session level, and globally.
Nikolay: Well, I never tried, but statement timeout definitely can be set at user level. I think lock_timeout should work as well. Worth checking by the way.
Michael: I thought the doc said that, but I was checking the... Because this is the development doc.
Nikolay: Maybe even it's... It should be
Michael: in the
Nikolay: testing tests maybe. Maybe it's... So I'm quite sure it should work, yeah. So you... Anyway, we talk about statement timeout right now. We don't have lock_timeout until 17. So statement timeout can be set for different users differently. And I also had a case when people had very low global statement timeout, but then adjusted for people, for human connections, they adjusted it to set to 0.
Michael: How do you feel about that?
Nikolay: I feel this is dangerous. It's like someone can just run something then drink some coffee and then go for some call. It's kind of dangerous. By the
Michael: way, I've got bad news for you. The warning seems to have been copied over to transaction timeout documentation as well. And it says in the docs, in the new docs, setting transaction timeout in postgresql.conf is not recommended because it would affect all sessions.
Nikolay: Yeah, actually it's a good point. I need to raise this again. I don't agree with this. It's a bad, very bad statement.
Michael: There's also 1 other note in here that I had forgotten. I guess it's only a minor note, but prepared transactions are not subject to this timeout. Thought worth mentioning.
Nikolay: Yeah, it's so.
Michael: So, yeah. Is there anything else? I guess the story for how this came about is pretty interesting. The thread seems quite long, to me at least.
Nikolay: As usual, a lot of unpredictable problems and then people seem to agree and then I think okay, not 4.17. But it was a good surprise last week, right? Or a couple of weeks ago. Yeah, I just wanted to say, if our world survives, right? For folks who are listening to this in 2025 or later, just start thinking about limiting at transaction level first and then go down. This is the main advice, but for others, limit the application side and limit statement amount and idle transaction session timeout, of course, both are good to have limited to below a minute maybe, at least 1 minute. I also saw people are afraid of an idle transaction session timeout being low. I don't understand this. Put it very low, very low. Like if someone is not doing anything, bye bye. OK, maybe for humans, you can limit it to 1 or 2 minutes but still you're probably holding some very important exclusive locks and blocking someone, it's not a good idea so either commit or do something already, right or
Michael: yeah the default is no limit like there's absolutely no limit at all. So, any... Yeah, even if you're really... Even if you are concerned, what would an hour limit look like? Several hour limit look like? Even that's going to be better than none at all. So yeah, I like that advice for people to be checking. Do you even have any of these limits set? Because the default is not to. And even on a lot of cloud providers, they don't set
Nikolay: defaults for you. IGOR MINAROVICH-SHMAROVICH Yeah, Nginx, if you work on web or mobile apps, Nginx, for example, has a default proxy timeout limit of 60 seconds. This is a good starting point to think about it. If 99% of your database work is to serve HTTP requests, at least 60 seconds should be there. And go down to details. Also, one more thing. Maybe some folks will be inspired. I'm not a good drawer of some pictures, but imagine if we had a schema in documentation showing the relationships between statement and breaks between statement and some big transaction and timeouts will be visualized. So for better understanding, this is transaction timeout, between them there are multiple statements, they are also limited and breaks are limited. And also outside we have a session timeout. So idle session, how is it called?
Michael: Idle session timeout. We have both.
Nikolay: No, session timeout, what is it? I mean-
Michael: We have idle in transaction session timeout and we have idle session timeout.
Nikolay: Idle session timeout. This is what... Like, it's outside of a transaction also have limited. So all periods of workflow are covered now. And to visualize this would be a great idea. Documentation already has a couple of pictures. It would be good picture to have. I
Michael: think you'd be in the first 10 still though if you got this one in.
Nikolay: Right exactly, so maybe someone will be inspired. Good.
Michael: Nice. Yeah. Thanks so much Nikolay.
Nikolay: Catch you next week. Bye. Catch you
Michael: next week.
Nikolay: Bye.