Joining me on the podcast today is Stephen Houraghan of the Brand Master Academy. He helps designers and brand builders learn the art of brand strategy to enhance their career all while better helping the people they serve.
The Brand Strategist and Brand Strategy Educator shares his own journey of getting started with content creation, being comfortable with the discomfort of not really doing well in the early years, and finally achieving the little wins that got him to where he is today — a thriving personal brand with robust engagements on multiple platforms.
We talk about:
- His professional journey and the question he asked himself that sparked the pivot in his career
- How trying to differentiate himself against his competitors led him to the fundamentals of branding and brand strategy
- The origins of The Brand Master Academy
- Why he focuses his content marketing efforts on YouTube and subsequently, how he practices content repurposing to maximize his reach
- His advice to beginner creative professionals looking to find their key differentiating factors
- Marty Neumeier’s thoughts on what niching down really means and what it certainly isn’t
- How taking a course by Kerwin Rae began his content creation process that helped him find his groove and voice
- The ability to sit in your discomfort when first putting out content and not getting a lot of views and subscribers until you go through the metamorphosis that allows you to grow in following and mileage
- The idea that there’s always someone a couple of steps behind you that you can help
- His advice on how to choose the content form to start with
- How he’s been leveraging the use of carousels created out of his valuable video content
- Where he finds his inspiration and the end goal that guides all the work he does
- How he balances his personal brand with client work
- Brand strategy trends he sees on the horizon
- His personal mantra that revolves around empathy
Mentioned in this episode:
To connect with Stephen, head on over to his channels:
Thanks for listening! If you enjoyed this episode of the podcast, head on over to the following links for more of my work and some valuable resources to get you started on your own branding initiatives. Until the next episode!
VISIT MY WEBSITE:
JOIN THE BRAND•MUSE NEWSLETTER:
JOIN THE BRAND DESIGN MASTERS FACEBOOK GROUP:
SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL:
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER:
FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST:
LIKE MY AGENCY ON FACEBOOK:
Bring Your Own Laptop - Adobe Training with Daniel Scott
Discount Code: “PHILIP50”
The Brand Design Masters Podcast is targeted to entrepreneurs, designers, creative professionals and anyone interested in brand strategy, business planning, graphic design, personal branding, trends and marketing.
Philip VanDusen is the owner of Verhaal Brand Design, a brand strategy and design agency based in New Jersey. Philip is a highly accomplished creative executive and expert in brand strategy, graphic design, marketing and creative management. Philip provides design, branding, marketing, career and business advice to creative professionals, entrepreneurs and companies on how to build successful brands for themselves and for the clients and customers they serve.
What is Brand Design Masters Podcast?
The Brand Design Masters Podcast with Philip VanDusen is dedicated to helping you build the skills you need to design bullet-proof brands - for yourself, your business and for the clients and customers you serve.
In every episode, Philip, his co-hosts and interview guests will share inspiration, ideas, trends and techniques that will lift you to greater heights as a creative professional or entrepreneur - so you can build a successful creative practice, business and personal brand in the Creative Economy.