Jason Carroll from central Florida joins the podcast to talk about new officials, preparing for the start of the season, the 2018 new rules, and the mindset to take into each game.
Links to items discussed:
- 2018 Rule changes
- Improperly equipped player shall be replaced for at least one down. NFHS 1-5-4, 1-5-5, 3-5-10e, 3-6-2, 9-8-1h, 9-9
- New penalty option adopted for fouls by kicking team - Accept a 5-yard penalty from the succeeding spot. NFHS 6-1-9b, 10-4-2, 10-5-1j
- Defenseless player provisions for passer clarified. NFHS 2-32-16a
- Discussion on definition of passer. NFHS 2-32-11
- A passer is a player who throws a legal forward pass. He continues to be a passer until the legal forward pass ends or until he moves to participate in the play.
- Quick mention of defenseless player. NFHS 2-32-16
- A defenseless player is a player who, because of his physical position and focus of concentration, is especially vulnerable to injury. A player who initiates contact against a defenseless player is responsible for making legal contact.
What is Friday Night Stripes?
A podcast for, by, and about high school football officials