Spotify’s Viral 50 chart highlights music from around the world.....Russian trap duo Rauf & Faik take off in the Caucasus region....chartmetric.io @chartmetric #nerdout #musicdata
- Spotify’s Viral 50 chart highlights music from around the world
- Russian trap duo Rauf & Faik take off in the Caucasus region
- Good morning, it’s Jason here at Chartmetric with your 3-minute Data Dump where we upload charts, artists and playlists into your brain so you can stay up on the latest in the music data world.
- This is your Data Dump for Tuesday April 9th 2019.
- Chart Highlight
- On Friday April 5th, the Spotify Viral 50 highlighted the global nature of streaming by featuring a Philadelphia-born Puerto Rican artist remix, an Indonesian R&B collaboration, and a Russian hip-hop duo all in the top 10.
- The #1 spot is occupied by Philadelphia-born, Puerto Rico-raised artist Dalex along with six collaborators in the vibey rap track “Pa Mí - Remix”.
- The original track was 3:30 long, but the new version is a full 6:00, making room for other Latin artists such as Argentina’s Cazzu and Panama’s Sech.
- It’s released by the indie label Rich Music, who signed a distribution deal with Warner Music Latina back in 2017, and the remix itself was released on Feb 6th, spending 33 days so far on the Viral 50.
- The #2 track is slightly newer, released on Feb 21st, and that’s the Indonesian R&B collaboration “Adu Rayu” by Yovie Widianto, Tulus and Glenn Fredly.
- Google translated as “Flirtation”, the easy-listening ballad is also featured on Top Hits Indonesia at 682K followers and on Apple Music’s The A-List: Indonesian Music.
- The #10 track in last Friday’s Viral 50 is Russian hip-hop duo Rauf & Faik with the track “Детство” (dee-YEHTS-vha), or “Childhood”.
- It’s currently at its peak position on the chart, still fresh-faced at only 3 days there, even though it was released half a year ago in Sept 2018.
- The dark, melodic trap song is part of Friday’s genre tag trend, as the tag “trap music” showed up the most at 15 times with “pop rap” showing up 10 times.
- Interestingly, the Viral 50 chart brings in the old and makes them new: 96% of the chart’s tracks are older than one month yet none of them have been on there for more than two, showing a tendency to take what’s already been released and giving them new life.
- Artist Highlight in the News
- The occupants of the #10 spot, Russian trap duo Rauf & Faik, are performing well stream-wise with 804K Spotify monthly listeners and 30K followers for a listener to follower ratio of 26, putting them in the realm of Dutch DJ/producer Sam Feldt at 26.2 and Grammy-nominated American artist Tierra Whack at 26.1.
- Rauf & Faik seem to be making lots of waves in Turkey as they are currently featured in the #1 position on the 50-track Hot Hits Türkiye playlist at 354K followers and the Turkey Top 50 with 523K follows in the #7 position.
- On Apple Music, they are on four different Daily Top 100 charts in Turkey, Uzbekistan, Bulgaria and Azerbaijan, the last of which is their country of origin, though according to our Instagram data, they are currently based in Moscow.
- Their 463K IG followers skew very young and female, with nearly 40% of their followers falling in the 13-17 female demographic.
- With 3/4 of their IG fanbase from Russia, Kazakhstan and Ukraine alone and 80% of them speaking primarily Russian, the hopes of an overseas crossover seems unlikely.
- But since their dark, spacious trap vibes are undoubtedly taking a page out of Post Malone’s sonic playbook, you just never know.
What is How Music Charts?
Welcome to How Music Charts, where we bring you interviews and analysis from music industry professionals bridging data and creativity in the music business every day. Feel free to email us ([email protected]), say hi on our socials (@chartmetric), and dive deeper into music and data on our blog (blog.chartmetric.com). Free accounts are available at chartmetric.com!