Trey: hello and welcome back to another episode of MCU. Need to know a podcast dedicated to the Marvel cinematic universe and everything you need to know. Hi, I'm Trey.
Jude: I'm Jude. How you doing tray?
Trey: Well, puzzled now what's, uh, what's going on on your end over there
Jude: as I was organizing my tabs, there's a tab up here that I was going to talk to you about. And forgot. So now it has to save it till after, but because of the camera you saw my like, oh, kind of reaction. So is it pertinent to the episode? Uh, no. It's pertinent to the pertinent to the pilot, but it, it, it was, I was rearranging my tabs, so I could like have the stopwatch right next to the outline and just easily switch back and forth. And then I asked and I clicked on that one. I was like, oh yeah, I was going to mention the trailer. I wasn't going to stop you mid intro. I, you know,
Trey: the video cameras, well, recording, I think is both additive and a detriment at the same time, because speaking for me on the JB episode, I didn't even realize it, but because we were on camera subconsciously, I made the money finger signs, whatever he was talking about, the success of Moonlight determining season two. And so I didn't even realize I was doing it until JV was like, oh, is making money sign.
Jude: Well in the, in the little, in one of the two interns. When he was like, Hey, that seems like a little gift. That was that moment where he's talking about missing the beard. And I, because I took my camera off and I flashed my camera back on really quick and back off, so he could see the beard one more time. And that's, and that's when he was like, Hey and stuff, but you know,
Trey: it's been fun. I don't, I can't imagine going back to not having the cameras on the recording side.
Jude: Yeah. But I, I mean, I still think the cameras are for just us. I don't know if I want those out yet.
Trey: Oh no, no. Nobody wants to
Jude: see those closet. Oh, look. Hey. There's video of June. Yeah. The bottom parts of sleeves, the long sleeves.
Trey: Okay. Well, you were already on the tangent. I, you know, whenever we went into video cameras, it was still in the cooler months. Now that it's getting hotter, I've just become, so self-aware of like how much I sweat in the closet and I never noticed it until we started using care.
Jude: It's so different. So hot in here. Whereas in like winter, like I have like the beanie on and the headphones and like long I'm bundled.
Trey: Yeah. Anyway, back to the episode, if you downloaded this episode, then you know, we've got a couple of quick reactions coming up for you. Uh, so if you've been paying attention to the pod feed a few weeks ago, I put out a solo reaction episode to dark stranger, the multi-verse madness, but since Jude hadn't seen it at the time, He didn't get to be on that one. So we're circling back to that, but we also have two really exciting announcements that we're gonna be talking about today. Starting off with the first one, we have confirmation of the echo show coming to Disney plus in 2023. And we got our first official look at it, which features echo sitting along kind of like a heavy piece of equipment and just looking very tired. Was there anything that stood out to you about that news announcement?
Jude: Yes. That's how awesome a character. She wasn't Hawkeye. We get a screenshot and it's like, okay, first Fisher look. And everyone's excited. Like, like, you know what I mean? It's amazing that we talked about it with the Hawkeye. Just how well she did in Alika, Crocs. Yeah. And it, well, I wasn't thinking of, of the name, but just, just the stuff we talked about in terms of like acting and. Being with, um, you know, sign language and just really fleshing out that character through there and, and, you know, with the gestures and facial expressions, which, which, I mean, a lot of actors do that and performers, you have that, but you know, you're taken away voice inflection, you know, but you still get the, the anger and everything out of it. And it was such a fun and good character. Yeah. I mean, we get to see the whole screenshot and it's like, oh man, this is,
Trey: I remember we did our predictions episode at the beginning of this year. And we were just kind of taking some stabs in the dark to see what we'd land on. I had thought maybe we'd get echo this year, but it does seem like a 20, 23 will be the target date for that. So. Even though that was my prediction, which may be a little bit contradictory. It's funny to me how, when I first saw the news, I was like, oh, this feels early.
Jude: It does feel early. It did feel early. I was surprised. Um, yeah. Well, Hannah does that mean we might get to see Kate Bishop? Um, I hope so. That'd
Trey: be interesting if she ends up showing up in the echo show or you Julina,
Jude: I'll take either one.
Trey: I wonder if maybe it'll be like a passing cameo. I can't imagine they would, we like B series featured, but I could see like an episode brief appearance.
Jude: Yeah. And if that's the case, I'm going to say, um, Bishop.
Trey: Oh, cool. That is officially in production and coming in 2023. The other exciting news we got, and this one completely caught me off guard. We have our first trailer or first full length trailers say, cause we've had snippets before, but the first full link trailer for attorney at law, uh, it's going to be releasing on August 17th, 20, 22 of this year. And I guess I'll go first this time. It looks really funny. I think that's what stood out to me on that. First impression is the humor was just front and center. I particularly liked the line wherever she Hulk and Hulk are trying to learn how to use the powers and hoax like, well, you need to have fear and anger that seems to trigger it. And she's like, dude, that's the baseline of the woman experience.
Jude: I know I keep saying this over and over. I'm going to love this show because of Tatyana Mizani and cause she, you can't say this enough as amazing an orphan black. You know, my, my brother texted me. He said, he thought the CGI wasn't great. Kind of have to agree with him. But as early it is, as it is. And we've seen this before, where they get a trailer out there and we know the CG, that's not the final rendering right. Of a CGI. So in that sense, I don't, I think, I think there, I'm not too worried about it. Um, the only thing I would be worried about is that 30 minute sitcom kind of format, otherwise it looks like it's going to be a lot of. Like just a straight up the sitcom,
Trey: you know, and you know, and we talked about it at the start of moon night. I've can't remember what episode we brought it up on, but we talked about how, like, we went from no way home to moon night to Dr. Strange in the multi-verse of madness. And every one of those entries had a bit of weight to them, like the heaviness of the topics that they were dealing with to get miss Marvel and a few weeks. And now she hope falling after. It's nice to have the levity of the MCU. Again, not that, not that I can imagine. We'll get some emotional moments because Marvel's really good at that, but it is nice to just be having fun again. And I do go ahead. Well, go ahead. Cause I was going to change to a different subject. Oh,
Jude: I was going to say is like, we've seen Marvel do this before at man and man and the wasp right. Where it's kind of that. You get this emotional moments, you know, they're there because of, because of the themes and what it's about with family, but it's, there's a lot of levity to it, you know, and it's a fun movie. So I'm imagining, you know, from that, from this trailer, something along those lines. Yeah.
Trey: What I was going to circle back to. I do agree. Uh, I think we're, I think it is pretty much the elephant in the room. The CGI doesn't look great. I don't know if there's anything I could add to it that it hasn't been set already online, but when we watched the trailer again, right before we started recording, just to get a fresh viewing, one of the things I paid attention to this time versus the first few times I watched it is the facial expressions I think are still coming through and the animation, uh, which is something that felt like Tatyana Malani was bringing in some of the human form. That was really, really cool. And I thought, oh, are we going to lose that in the form? But there there's a line she gives again where she's talking about like, oh, I'm not a superhero. That's for narcissist billionaires and adult orphans. For some reason, the facial inflection in that point is really good. So even if the CGI let's hope it gets polished, but say it doesn't, the performance is still coming through and I, I can live with that for a TV.
Jude: Yes. I, 100%. I mean, that's, that's the thing on the CGI, you know, there, there is this element of you want the, you don't want the CGI to take you out of something. Right. But if the CGI is so bad or like that's your only focus, the story and the acting and all that other stuff is obviously not grabbing. You know, and, and, and so that's the other place where it's like, okay, I'm not going to be that work.
Trey: Well, it's like what we talked about in moon night there, it was forgivable. Like, there was like, there was so much other things we were, were paying attention to that it was okay to look past some of the less than stellar CGI work. Oh yeah. Well, I think that'll wrap up those two little news announcements. It's really cool. I'm glad we've got a look at what's to come, uh, because we have Ms. Marvel and the horizon. We have Thor, and now it seems like we know what's coming out after Thor with she hold on August 17th, 2020. Now for the main portion of our podcast this week, we're gonna be talking about Dr. Strange in the multi-verse of madness, and we're going to do this the way we always do when it comes to things that are very new, we're going to have some pre spoiler thoughts, and that'll give us a chance to talk about it without getting into spoilers, followed by an audio cue, which will take us into the spoiler zone. That'll be fair game for all spoilers. So before we get there, Jude, what are your pre spoiler thoughts for multi-verse
Jude: of madness? Definitely the same Raimi movie is so funny in the comic book club, Sean coworker, Sean and I were saying that, and we had students that like, okay, I've heard that. What does that mean? Um, we ended up having to pull up the trailer to, uh, evil debt, to an army of darkness and, you know, and, and kind of explain his style and stuff. Um, but that, yeah, definitely like, like I heard that before I saw it and it immediately, it was just like, yes, this is clearly something, same rainy day. And
Trey: you know, it's funny. I, my experience with Sam Raimi is exclusively the Spiderman films, the Toby Maguire ones. I'm not sure if I'm familiar with any of his other works, but from what I know of them, it's, it's easy to see how much of. Uh, I think friend Daniel used this term imprint that Sam Raimi left on the movie itself. Um, you know, I have now seen this movie twice. Uh, so I'm not going to reiterate too much of what I said there, but I did want to at least share this because this seems to be a very polarizing entry and the MCU actually saw an article, compare it to iron man three in terms of the polarization, but I didn't get to finish reading it before we recorded, but I'll, I'll look it in the show notes. That's interesting. I know. I want to go see what they had to say about it, but I was talking to my friend niche and she said something that helped solidify. I thought I was having, so to set that up, she mentioned, you know, when I watched. It checked all the boxes. Like I was entertained, it was fun. I liked it, but it just, there was something missing. And the thought that it completed for me was I feel like one of the biggest praises about the MCU is that it is comfortable not taking itself too seriously and can poke fun of itself. And I think that adds levity to the moments that really are endearing and meaningful, but there's something about multi-verse of manners that felt like it didn't take it seriously enough, if that makes sense.
Jude: Yeah. Oh, trust me. It makes sense. Like, am I, I mean, am I appreciate other thoughts and you already know this and Tara is, you know, TK is probably when they're listening and it's going to be like, what are you doing to you? You know? Cause she knows my thoughts. Oh. And I just wanted the pre spoiler part to be positive.
Trey: That's the hardest part about the position that I'm in is that I think of the two of us, you're the most harsh on it, but it's very hard to defend. And the more I think about it though, the more I started slipping on that mountain, but as far as initial impressions, I did enjoy it, but it'll be funny to see how it happens
Jude: here. I'll read. How about this appreciable or thoughts? I will at least read the texts that I'm referring to. Okay. You know, and, and terror, terror, terrorists, or TKs response. Whoa, hot take. I definitely don't think that's, uh, it's at that level. Uh, but yeah, to our pod vendors, group chat, I finally, I was texting and talking about it and finally I was just like, okay, I'll just embrace it. This is the MC use rise of Skywalker. So yeah. Yeah.
Trey: Well, I don't think there's ever been a better lead in for the spoilers on that. So, like I said, you're going to hear an audio cue and on the other side it will be fair game for all spoilers and the MCU. We'll see you. On the other side and we're back. I can already tell you, I know this, this episode's going to ruffle some feathers because there are some very enamored people with this pill.
Jude: And so, yeah. Yeah. I actually intentionally didn't jot down any notes to try to avoid going to negative.
Trey: Well, you know, the first part of the outline we have, and it's so funny when I sat down to, cause we have a pretty much standardized template that we use for the reactions and I was going through, it was like, all right, we're gonna do this. We're gonna do that. All right. The first question we ask is, did it meet your expectations? Oh no, I didn't. I didn't know how
Jude: that was. Let's see. I can answer that yesterday. No.
Trey: Actually that's the same answer I have. And I'm very curious. Go ahead. What was, uh, what's your guess on
Jude: my, my, yes is because I didn't see it opening weekend and I didn't have any spoilers, but I knew enough. Um, I think the closest thing to spoilers and I told you about this was like scrolling through and seeing a headline that was like, like how many cameos did this have? You know, but that's all it said, it didn't show a picture. So like, okay. So I don't want to get a lot of cameos, but that wasn't that big of a spoiler. It's a multi-verse movie. I'd be disappointed that it wasn't it's
Trey: expected. Yeah. Even with the trailer, like, uh,
Jude: Patrick Stewart. So yeah, so like my, where it met my expectations and where I enjoyed watching it was I knew going in that it was a Raimi movie and not, not in the sense of like, oh, he's the director, but people say, oh, this is the most Ramy. MCU movie, you, you know what I mean? It was very much him. And so in that sense, knowing that going in, I had my expectations of what I knew I was about to see stylistically. And so in that sense, it was like, yeah, it's a Raimi film. Like this was, this was a fun watch taking my oldest with me. And I mean, this is PG 13, but this is the only horror movie, right. That they've seen in the theater. Um, yeah, in theater, like at home, you know, I've seen stuff, but yeah, in theater. And so seeing that reaction, seeing, you know, the jump scares, having them lean over nurses, like I'm not going to sleep tonight. Well, it was that scene where, you know, it's coming and you're expecting wander to bust through the door, but then she comes out. From the side,
Trey: uh, when she stocking the other Wanda,
Jude: would she stocking Christine and Dr. Strain where it does the slow down? Yeah, it does that slow down. It's in the tunnel and stuff. And like, you're expecting to make sure the door and that one, it was a really big jump scare for them. And I'm not sleeping the night. It's like, oh, that met my expectations from that sense. No, in that it felt like a Raimi film. It felt like I was watching a Raimi film with MCU window decorations and dressing, you know, and, and I was like, okay, so this was a fun, Sam Raimi movie is a really disappointing MCU movie. And so in that sense, no, it didn't circling
Trey: back to the, your oldest leaning over and saying, I'm not sleeping tonight. I remember you texted me before going. You're like, Can I bring my kids to this. And I was just like, that's my least favorite question, because I never know what the right answer is. I didn't even have to be horror. It's like, oh, is this appropriate for kids? And I'm like, I don't know. But I mentioned that it was like it take one division and go one step further. And that's like, I think the level of fear that this had, and I didn't know if that was appropriate,
Jude: but, uh, um, no, and very, very early on, um, with like the DEI balling. Yeah.
Trey: That was killed.
Jude: Yeah. It's brutal. Oh my gosh. It's brutal. You know, and I forgot which, but that was a nod to one of his other movies and I forgot what you wanted right now. Um, and that's, that's the other thing. It was, everything was so much a nod to his previous movies. But my oldest leaned over and was like, yeah, it's good. We left the other two at home. Well,
Trey: so, you know, it's so funny, like everything you just said, I'm with you. I think the only place that we've butt heads is with the rise of Skywalker comparison, but I think that's just my dislike of star wars rather than the disagreement on this film,
Jude: because well, well, and the reason why I had that thought at the end was cause I remember, or finally just said, Hey, I'm going to embrace that is I remember leaving rise of Skywalker having like enjoyed the experience, right? Like, like, oh, this was a fun, like, like it was a fun movie, right? Like, like it was action and there was stuff and it was like, and so immediately walk out. Oh, that was fun. But the more I, the further away I get from. And that in that initial experience goes away. And I get to think about it. I'm like, eh, no, that doesn't work. No, this doesn't work. No, that doesn't work. You know what I mean? And so, and so it's like, you know, I mean, yeah. Rise of Skywalker. My initial watch. It was like, you know, I mean, yes, I had problems with it too, as I watched it, but from start to finish, like by the end, I'm like, oh, that was fun. I'm glad I saw it. You know? Um, the more, the further I get away from it and I'm like, okay, No. Uh, and, and that's where, especially in the, in the group tax where I was like, no, I just have to embrace this because the more I text I'm like it, the worst it gets,
Trey: I think I put in the group text that there's a level of pettiness that I think a movie would have to get for me to be on the same level rise of Skywalker. So, but again, that's where it's in a weird position because it's a weird position because like, it's, I've settled on it. Just being fun. Like as, even as I go through to answer the question of, did it meet my expectations? I'm in the yes. And no camp as you. Yes. I expected some, like, multi-verse ask shenanigans with cameos. I thought it was going to be fun. And it meant that the problem, and maybe this is a bit of an unfair expectation for the movie itself. The first Dr. Strange is in my top five. Like it is one of my favorite MCU movies. And to walk away from this one where the story is, the weakest part does not meet the expectations. And that, that was the disappointing factor of it. So it hasn't faded in the enjoyment of it being fun. But what falls apart when I think about it is just the story itself and that's what I was meaning with the preschooler thought of it didn't take itself too seriously, like enough or not too seriously. That sounds negative, but it didn't take itself seriously enough. There's just moments that feel awkward, like the end where Dr. Strange as a zombie has giving the motivational speech to American Chavez as a zombie. And it's, it's just so black luster it's the it's it's, it's a step above the, the power was within you all along kind of thing. And it's just cheesy. And the
Jude: final, the
Trey: final bit, and then I'll turn it to you. Final bit stuff like the, uh, Scarlet witch taking out the Illuminati. It's fun. I liked it, but from the audience perspective, if you've been waiting to see these characters for a while, the fact that they're done, like imagine being really excited to get Mr. Fantastic. And this is the first depiction of them in the MCU. And they're done away with so quickly. I'm not even talking about the professor, professor Xavier. I'm not even talking about the level of quality of the acting or whatever. It's just doing a way dismissively of a character that hasn't even appeared in the prime form
Jude: yet. Right. So, okay. Two thoughts. I think some of the things you were saying, actually, I completely agree with that gets me to that rise of Skywalker category, where it doesn't get you there because you brought up the pettiness and I'm going to read these texts because in following up the rise of Skywalker thing, you were like, I think there's an inherent pettiness and spite, a movie has to reach what you just said, right. To get to the level of rise of Skywalker. You know, and you said this movie, swamp from that, Missy, my response was because of my cousin rise of Skywalker, they were trying to walk back previous content and like attempting to be good. Yeah. That, that was problematic because we're watching it and we all know that the pettiness is there and they're trying to walk things back.
Trey: Right. My favorite description of it is, is someone said it was like JJ Abrams and Ryan Johnson were trying to do an improv scene, but neither one of them knew how to yes, they end.
Jude: Right? Oh, absolutely. And this movie walked back previous con. Just out of ignorance. It wasn't trying to, but it did. And I'm like, what are you doing that like, that's, that's where it really annoyed me is like, you're walking back so much stuff because you want your style, you know? Um, and that, and I mean, in fairness, I'm, I'm putting all the blame on Sam Raimi when I say it that way. Um, like I, I don't think that's a hundred percent fair, you know, I'd be curious.
Trey: Like, what do you mean by walking back? Because,
Jude: uh, I think, I think the Wanda, I think I don't, I don't think the, the development with Wanda doesn't make sense, uh, to me of how Wanda got there. Like it just, it just doesn't make sense for me. The. I mean, you get Yulaina, you know, you get Kate Bishop, you get Wanda, this, just go to Wanda and see her coming through and you see all that. And then we get this buildup of America Chavez, and she's basically a MacGuffin, you know, it's like, it's like the, the, the, the movie had two MacGuffin, right? And they had the Hitchcock style of MacGuffin and the George Lucas style of MacGuffin and the Hitchcock style is I need the MacGuffin and that's, you know, basically MacGuffin, right? This is going to kick off the plot audience. Doesn't need to know what it is. It's just, they're not such got Lucas thought. No, the audience needs to care about the McGough. Right. And, and, and be interested in investing in the MacGuffin and needs to know, for example, the droids R two D two C three PO. That's what the good book of Ashanti was, was the Hitchcock, MacGuffin, and American Chavez was the droids. Let me, I mean, outside of that, the relationship development between Harn strange was weak at best and just super forced. It just, it just wasn't well done. Um, like, I mean, I, I actually reached a point where in my thought where I'm like, I don't remember if I said this to you or a friend Daniel, but I was like, this makes Loki so much better to me. And so much more impressed with Kate Heron as a director, because what she was able to do with Michael Waldron script, Sam Raimi, wasn't capable of doing, because the script was too. And, you know, and, and, and we just, and if that was the script they're going to go with, they need somebody who can direct better than Ramy and his, you know, can, is willing to sacrifice his style to make it good and
Trey: defensive Waldron. I will say this there's been reports that there was definitely more screen time devoted to scenes. Like there was a cut scene where we actually start with our Mordo going to a cabin where Wanda is, and she kills him there. Uh, reported there was a report that this movie was originally 30 minutes longer and it got cut down for two hours because of Ramy wanting that fast paced feel. So. I'm not ready to call Waldron terrible, but I want to put
Jude: that defense in there. If, if, if it was Walgreen's idea to like, Hey, I'm going to watch Deadpool two and see them make the X-Force team and then kill them off and try to recreate that. But in a much worse way with Illuminati then yeah. I would say it's pretty crappy writing. All right. I
Trey: just wanted to make sure to at least get that defense in there.
Jude: Yeah. It's there's very little defense. It was like, dude, did you even watch. One division, like you realize all these are connected. It's a universe, right? Anyways, I have very little good things to say about this movie. Yeah. I'm sorry. Like, like, uh, like the best, one of the best things about it is I went on a Wednesday and the theater I go to on a Wednesday, it's like $5, no matter the time, like I saved the money that it
Trey: was cheap.
Jude: Like not only, not only that, like I got comped, like, like my head in, and then I ordered drinks and they didn't bring us our drinks. And, but they brought my oldest air drink and popcorn. And because we didn't get ours in the whole theater got food and we're watching them get refills. They gave us, I got two movie passes to go back and the popcorn and kid got popcorn and drinks for.
Trey: It was actually Michael Waldron. He was behind the
Jude: concessions, since that was the best part. That was the best part of the experience. It was great. Oh, my I'm going to go see, throw her love and thunder on them. Oh, wow. Well that
Trey: works right. That I will say. That's how I saw, I believe Logan for free the Wolverine movie, because I went and saw. And they didn't turn off the lights for like the first 20 minutes. So I had to go tell them and they gave me a free pass and I used it on looking
Jude: nice. That's the way to do it.
Trey: Go be miserable in a theater.
Jude: All right. See, I guess that's, that's why the seat, this is why I didn't take notes because I knew once I got rolling, I wouldn't stop. So I got to, I'm going to tap the brakes now. Well, I'm
Trey: scared to go to the next one, because the question is, what was your favorite scene?
Jude: Your turn to go first.
Trey: Okay. My turn to go first. This is also weird because like, I've already put out some first thoughts. Uh, so I'm going to try and do ones I haven't already talked about in that first impression. One of the things that I liked the first time, but I really remembered to talk about this time was in that opening fight sequence. I liked that Dr. Strange, pretty much used Mehan may hands, uh, from D and D when he was fighting the giants, Cyclops, creature, whatever I thought the invent of use of magic was really cool. Hang on.
Jude: I'm I'm forgetting what it is. Uh, gore something, hang on. I'm in the closet and I don't have my D and D books with me D and D one. I monster it's a, the holder I'm thinking. Yeah, essentially he thought of a holder. Okay. So that's what it's
Trey: called.
Jude: Yeah. Like, like we'll put a lead. Yeah. In terms of D and D we put a link in the show notes, it's basically a beholder. Um, so did you look it up? Do you see what a holder looks like? No, I can look it up, like, okay. Like I promise you. That was the first
Trey: thing I saw is definitely looks like a beholder. Garganto is what they call it.
Jude: It's it's a older, but, okay. Yeah. I think the, one of the biggest things is I immediately in that opening wedding battle, see, look, I paused and hesitated just for a second. Cause like I immediately had a negative thought. Um, but was it, it was very re I mean, it was, it was basically the doc fight since Spider-Man to, you know, going up the building. Um, and, and I don't mean that in a negative way, like to me, that was a fun, good callback, you know? Um, and you know, and, and the working together of Wong and Dr. Strange. So, yeah, so I really liked that aspect of it. I'm going to stop there and hold my other two thoughts. Yeah, I don't have to bash on the movie anymore. At
Trey: this point, I feel like before we wrap this up, I almost kind of want to end this episode by setting a three-minute timer and just letting you whale on it. Just get it all out there.
Jude: Now I've seen that in my chart, uh, seeing that I really did like, which so interesting because brother Daniel texted me and he was like, he's like consumer would have done so much better than Danny Elfman. Like he did. He didn't like that, which I thought was so funny if you,
Trey: okay, nevermind. This is brother Danny. I was going to say, if you discredit the music battle scene, I'm going to be so heartbroken.
Jude: Well, his checks for me was, I didn't know, his text to me was I didn't like the music note battle. Probably this is brother Daniel. I know probably mostly because it was Danny Elfman. And then I said, I enjoyed that part actually. Cause I, I actually really liked it and it was really clever, the use of notes and the visuals. I really enjoyed that. But then I did follow that up mainly due to the vicious. Like, I, I didn't like the, I dunno, the music didn't do anything for me there. I was just, I was so caught up with the visuals. I just, I really liked that. And then that's when he got his response, Hans Zimmer would have done better. Um, and I said, true,
Trey: you brought an element to a Zimmer fight.
Jude: Yeah. Right. That would have been really cool. Right. Like if you got Elfman to do like one of them and collaborator with Zimmer to do the other, like that, would've been really neat, but no, in all seriousness, like that fight, I was really, really enjoyed the visuals there, you know? And I just, I just thought that was a clever way of like taking. I mean, I know it was all CGI, but, but taking like material and turning it into magic, you know, and this use of, of, um, uh, sound with it, you know? Uh, but yeah, I was just enamored with the visuals there.
Trey: Yeah. Okay. All right. And I was getting nervous cause I was definitely one of my favorite scenes, uh, like, cause I, I mentioned it in my episode, the two standout moments that I had walking out was the music battle and captain Carter herself. So we're fine. We'll we'll make it out of this episode.
Jude: Oh yeah. I'm with you and Kevin Carter. Yeah. Until they killed her.
Trey: This is the spoiler zone. You can say it
Jude: well, yeah, until they killed her, it was like, oh my yes, captain Carter look how awesome. And the fan base loved her. And what if and all this stuff. What that's okay. Well, I'll come in with another, uh, Ramy UGU
Trey: we never quite got over Sam Raimi, ruining Spiderman three. That's all. This is, although I think you, you starting to come around on sand on the third Spiderman film, aren't you?
Jude: Uh, yeah, I don't, I don't think it's as bad as I remember it. Um, you know, um, I think of those three, and this is a whole other conversation. I think of those three that's well, you got a couple of things it's, you know, where Sony starts doing it, Sony thing. Um, it's the most Ramy, I think, of the three films, if that makes sense. Um, you know, and yeah, it was over past. Uh, but there's some elements of like, like, okay, I see a theme that you are trying to have all the way through. And you know, when it just wasn't pulled off, as well as the first two,
Trey: can I say, I know, we're suppose to be talking about favorite scenes. I think that's the, the smoking gun of the story being so weak. There's not a very cohesive theme in this movie at all. Like it, it is not that far off from, and then this happened and then this happened. They try to do some interesting things with strange, always justifying the, there was no other way. And then also the other half. Are you happy, but I don't feel a cohesive theme throughout this movie. And that's, what's disappointing to
Jude: me. Yeah. But that's not Ramy fault. That's the writer's fault. Well, what was, what was my big complaint? And one of the things we talked about with Loki of like, I'm going to introduce these big ideas, but I really don't know how to answer them. And I'm going to just jump one to the other because I really don't know what I'm talking about, but I just like to introduce big ideas because it's fun, but I'm not going to ask you the timer now or yeah, go ahead. I'm not going to actually take one and pull it through to the end, you know? And it was like, and, and like, I should have been aware of it and already of like, man, if you're going to do that with low key and that's a long form storytelling, there's no way you're going to pull the thread of happiness all the way through here in a short. It just, and you know, it's just not going to happen.
Trey: The other scene I enjoyed very much is the, uh, the defendant car montage. I just thought that was very well done to the intensity of it and watching Wong get to issue the orders was really cool. I, I just, I think I've seen people start to deem this phase Wong and I'm all for it because I think in the Presbyterian of she, Hulk Wong will be appearing and there was like officially Marvel studios released information that it starring Wong as well. Uh, so I'm always happy to see more of
Jude: him. Well, and it's one of those things that, yes, I enjoyed that scene too. Um, but it was all visuals, like what the, what I enjoyed about it was the visuals, the really, really cool part for me of all that secret. Was the reflections and they were having to go and like cover up all the reflections, you know, like, I don't know why that, that really I liked and kind of spoke to me, but yeah, like that you're right. The, the visuals of that was really cool. And, but I do remember watching that and thinking, man, this feels like an inset piece. What are they going to do in the end? You know? And that's a problem, you know what I mean? Like the very first, as much as I had the nod to Spiderman two and the visuals and the first, you know, and not the very first, first where we meet American Javez, but the wedding fight that we been talking about. It's like, I get it. Like if you're going to do that, you got to set it up with something big and you're going to introduce both megaphones right. At the beginning, you know? Um, and you introduce the flaw. Our hero has to overcome right in the beginning, you know, it's very,
Trey: you mean the problem that was solved in the first Dr. Strains,
Jude: right? Um, well, I mean, but it said, is that very like, you know, the, this cookie cutter. You know, I'm going to spend the first 10 pages of a script 10 minutes, you know, that gets me to plot point a, which is what's going to be the problem that kicks everything off, which is America child is, you know, is here and doesn't trust strange. And then you're going to spend from plot point a to plot point B, trying to figure out how to fix it. Plot point B is where you figure out how to fix it. And then the last section of the movie at your plot point B is actually doing what it is to, to fix it. I mean, it, it follows a pretty basic formula. Um, and in that sense, and it's like, you know, in each thing there was no, well, think about right. And you love that movie. I like in a, and not that I don't like it, but between the two of us, like that's on a different level for you. Um, And we both agree and talk about when you watch the fighting each time, there's like a level of, there's a level up, right. And there's this man what's going to happen next. Like it was so grand in the beginning that it's like, this feels like it'd be an inset piece. Okay. This feels like an inset that it was just like, eh, there was no build, you know, it was just a roller, you know, it's just not even a rollercoaster. It was like that. W what was that ride? That carnivals, the gravitron, it's just going to spin really fast and you're stuck to the wall and it's fun to be stuck to the wall, but that's all it does like that. You know what I mean? There was no real build to it. And, uh, in, in that sense, so yeah,
Trey: if a movie's going to do that, it has to have more substance than I think this movie has. And that's where it leaves it with a little bit more style than substance
Jude: and Ramy is not the director to overcome.
Trey: I think it's your turn for a favorite scene, unless, uh, that was it.
Jude: The other S the other scene that would want to bring up was the wedding. And I have an article I'm bad about reading an article and then losing it.
Trey: Well, now I know to look at the click
Jude: up. Um, and so I'm looking real quick. So I try, I tried to make sure I saved this one. Yeah, of course I didn't. Of course I didn't. So we'll see. I will try to try to find it again, but essentially the article was talking about essentially the wedding scene and how wonderful the wedding scene was. And that brief moment, uh, with the doctor Dr. Nick west. Well, yeah, Nick, Nick west, is that right? And, and that's, and that's part of what you were saying that set up of like, Hey, I had to do what I had to do kind of thing. But there's still ramifications of like, wait a minute. In that time, I lost five years. I lost my cats and I love the way they did that too, you know? So they did get something right in the script. And I lost my brother, you know, because like normal quote unquote normal Marvel movie that we kind of point out of like that, that comedy, that undercuts the moment would have flipped that and said it would have been like, and I lost my brother. It's like pause. And then be like, and my cats, I lost my cats, you know? And then we all kind of laugh, but like, they give us that, that, that humor moment, right. Unless my cats didn't really know the cats, this is Dr. Nick west, like, okay, who cares? And then he's like, and my brother, you know? And so you really see the weight, you know, of like of the decisions strange made, you know, and that was a wonderful exchange. And it's like, it's like that. How do you take that? And that make the thread through and truly pull the thread through not just like spurts of moments, you know, uh, throughout the film, but then be confused at what the theme is in general. I like, oh, it's not, it's about happy anyways, about happiness, but, but I loved, I loved that scene. Right. And it's like, and. Yeah. So I don't know, um, that, that was, I loved it. That was a great
Trey: scene. I remember at that moment, I was like, okay, here, we like, we've got the emotional core of what this movie is going to be. And I paired it with what I had known from the trailers, with the conversation between Wanda and strange, where she's like, when you break the rules, you become a hero. When I break the rules, I'm a villain that doesn't seem fair. I think this movie, the biggest waste of this movie is not exploring that theme because I think it is a very valid criticism. The problem is I think they were, they were so excited to get to evil, Wanda, that they made her a straw man. Like, because I've talked about this before. I know you disagree. Cause you say it's walking back, Wanda, everything they're doing with Wanda logically make sense. This is the trajectory she was on from one division dude, the book, the way it ends at the book and the, the, the learning from the what's it called the dark hold the dark hole. Thank you. Like this is where they were going. You could see that's where they were headed. So logically, that makes sense. But if you make the emotion, if you make the turn of a character like that off screen, that is betraying the audience. I think
Jude: so. She's right. It's not. And it, wasn't great to explore a big idea of somebody who could write about great ideas and big ideas and pull that thread all the way through this personal I'm sorry, dude. It's just not good at all. Uh, so frustrating, but my issue is, is going to be this right? Like first off it, Hey, it answers the question of like, yes, the Disney plus shows are important. Yes. You can't get from end game to this without watching one division. Right. And I'm even making the case. I would think that you can't even get to this from one division. And the reason why is yeah, she hears her sons in the dark hold right at the end. But like, that's all you gave us. If we get nothing about her actually searching for her sons. Yeah. She lost him in their grief, but like he chose like, like she chose to give up and stopping Agis that world she created when she was clearly powerful enough to keep it, if she wanted to, but she chose to get rid of that. Right. So in that sense, there was not fully cause I, I, I don't disagree with you what she said on one division on, well, we don't really have our lesson learned. Right. But she's on the way to learning that. It's like, w where, what got her. I mean, it would have made sense if the dark hole took over. Right. But that's kind of what they tried to do. And some other Wanda multi-verse wise was taking control of our Wanda. You know what I mean? And I, and I think that would have been. Better or more plausible or believable, but with ours it's like ours. Meaning what we saw in one division. Yeah. I don't disagree on grief, but at the same time, it's like, no, she knew she was giving up. She had the whole scene where she said her goodbyes, you know? And so, and then like the whole idea of like, wait, you do this and get to be the hero. I do this. And I get to be the villain. I mean, great line. But it's like, what do you mean villain? But yeah. I mean, whatever, you were in a cabin in the woods enjoying your time. And Dr. Strange was like, I'm not here about west view. I don't care. Like he didn't see her as a villain. So when was she a villain outside of like comic book knowledge and you know, and so that's the other thing where just like, it just, it didn't make sense. You know, it's, it's like, it's like my problem with the last Jedi, you know, it's like, you want, it's like, it's like, you want Luke, you know, this Jedi master to like face down his own father in front of the emperor and lay down his lightsaber. And you want us to believe that, like, because of some vision he's scared of Kylo Ren, like without actually having to do the legwork to make it believable, you just, I want to say that's the case and just like, that's dumb and that's what they did here. It's like, we're just going to say it. Not going to actually give you the legwork to, to bring the character there. And it's like, okay, thank you. Lazy writing, but it's, it's just dumb. I'm just, I'm just thankful that the, that the MCU is doing multi-verse stuff. Because when you start to walk this movie back because of the horrible entry that it is into the MCU, it's, it's going to be doable and believable. Cause we're just going to, you know, like my coworker, Shawn was like, he has this thought of like, did we even watch our with the multi-verse it could be the case. We didn't even watch our strange, so I'm done because otherwise I'm just going to go, just keep bagging on this movie,
Trey: the pushback and the 6 1 6, like they specifically stated that was 6 1 6, strange. So we can't, you're not gonna escape that way gone. I legitimately thought they were gearing up for it. Whenever the fi the scene in the movie ends with him walking down the street, everything seems fine. And he falls to the ground. I thought we were going to get some revelation of like, going back to no way home when the, with all the universes, I thought that was going to somehow show that that was a different story. That
Jude: would have been amazing that that would have, because like, so, so traditionally 6 1 6 is the main comic line starting in 1963.
Trey: I thought that was just
Jude: MCU. No, no, no. 6 1 6. That's been around since the sixties. That's like the main universe, 6 1, 6 main comic lines, universe central and six. And so when they bring that up in far from home, it's clearly an Easter egg, because Mysterio then says, you know, it was all alive. He was making it up. Right. And so like the 6 1 6 is kind of a funny nod. I was like, okay, so you said 6, 1 6 heat.
Trey: It's also mentioned in Thor, the dark world,
Jude: as like, did you, oh, there was a dark world. It was just written on the thing. Right? So that's again, a nod Easter egg. So you need to tell me in this movie, you went back to that. Well, again, when you showed, you're clearly capable of doing fan service, unbelievably well and game, but you went back to that. Well, in a movie that's literally about the multi-verse. So either they're waiting to spring this on. And I said, I would have loved that ending that you said they had, or, or I don't, I don't even know what to say right now. Or they got Michael Waldron to write the script and they just decided, Hey, you know what, screw it. Fan services, fan service.
Trey: I will say this whenever we circle back. Cause this is a quick reaction. Although this is turned into be a deeper reaction than we normally do. Whenever we circle back to do our traditional like full on movie review, where we do it. Three-act structure breakdown. It's going to be a wild episode that if plight beat Ironman two, as far as the, one of our hardest listen listening ones where we just beat up on that movie the entire time
Jude: are we really going to do that?
Trey: I imagined we had plans to circle back to black, all the movies that come out so far, we've always had the idea. We were going to come back to them with the three X structure structure, because this is just supposed to be a quick reaction that this is the first time that we, I think we've had like a very cause, even though I enjoyed it a little bit more than you did, I would classify mine as still a negative reaction. You want to move on to the post
Jude: credit scene? Um, I'm really curious. So when it comes out on Disney plus, and I'm looking at it and I'm thinking, oh, am I going to rewatch this? Or do I want to spend my time watching iron man too? And that's going to be.
Trey: Well, I'm going to go ahead and move us into the post credits
Jude: so I can just go watch party. It's just shorter. Oh man. Well,
Trey: the final act on are the final act. The final bullet point on our outline is asking, what does it mean for the future of the MCU, uh, regarding whatever happens in those two scenes? The second one we know is just kind of a joke with Bruce Campbell. The first one. I'm not going to get us out of the nosedive of negativity. I will say this. I didn't like it. And it's so funny to me because there's a very popular tweet that circles around where somebody was like very disingenuine Lee saying, you know what? My favorite part of a Marvel movie is where you wait two minutes of names. And then somebody comes in through a door and says, Hey, it's me. And they're basically just like poking fun at how it's just some random setup, as excited as I am for Charlie stair on that in credit meant nothing to me. And the third eye looks bad.
Jude: Um,
Trey: here we
Jude: go. Okay.
Trey: I feel bad because I, I, it's very funny. I want get angry about that. I feel like I'm poking and broaden,
Jude: so, okay. So I'm going to do the second in credits. Okay. It was funny and really well done with homecoming and captain America. This was not funny. It was dumb like, like the moment where Bruce Campbell, where he starts punching himself, I forgot that happened. So when he first came on and it was like, what are you here? Like, it didn't register like, oh, this is the three weeks later. And he finally stopped. I completely forgot that that happened. And so I'm like, I don't understand why I sat there for that. When it was much more effective with captain America, you know, it's just like, I dunno, like if I want to watch Bruce Campbell, I'm going to go watch burn notice. Right. I'm going to watch because it's in spurts and it's good. And you have other people supporting him to be better. Um, but that was, that was a waste of time. Um, the first in credits, I didn't know who Charlise . I know who she is now. Right. And this is one of those weird things where it was like at the end of okay. At the end of a terminals when you get blades voice, but you don't see blade. What I liked about that is we know blade is coming right. If Shirley's Thrones, character was one that we knew was coming. And all of a sudden we see it and, oh my gosh, you got, Shirley's thrown to play it. That would've been cool. But because I don't know who this character is or expecting this person, you know, down the line then I'm like, so you just, you got Charlise thrown in a bad cosplay outfit. Okay. Like, you know what I mean? Now the one thing it did make me think about, and we've had a conversation about this, about how do we make this a whole episode is just how much of the infinity saga and the expectations that set has. Impacted how I'd watch new things, right. Where I have this expectation now that each in tag is automatically going to go into the next thing, rather than setting something up that won't pay off until down the line. Like we got think phase one, you know, or something it's like, it's like, we, we get a lot of in tags. I felt like of like, oh, this is setting something up. And I know it's setting something up and cool, what's that going to connect to? And I wonder what it is and how do I recapture that? Because by the time we get towards the end, every single in tag is leading into the next film Wakanda. Oh, okay. There's Bucky. He gets his arm. You know what I mean? Um, and everything is, is, is in this tight knit web. And with th with the current way index or go. That's not really what we're getting, you know? And, and so in that sense, like, I have no idea when blade's going to show up when we're going to see kit Harrington. Again, I know it's coming, we got the tag and I have this anticipation for it. And now I have this anticipation for whatever Charlise, the Roan is going to play, but I also know thorn love and Thunder's coming. And if this was prior to end game or infinity war that in tag, would've set me up for that. And so I'm kind of expecting this intact to set me up for floor door 11 thunder, or set me up for miss Marvel, you know, and they're not doing that. And that's, I think a problem with my expectations. And, and so that is one thing that I would say is that this in tag has really forced me to think about, I'm trying to
Trey: this. Isn't quite, I'm going to throw it out here and see what you think that intact feels like an oral book. We're watching the MCU kind of eat its own tail where I agree with you that it used to be this thing where it would set up the next thing. And by, by nature of how many entries we're getting now per year, I think logistically they just can't anymore because there's no telling when, where what's happening next. And so it's, it's, it's kind of like an oh crap moment of I'm hoping it's just this movie doing it really poorly. And that's what was so revealing. But it could, it could be, uh, our first warning sign.
Jude: Yeah. Well, in, in the, in, I mean you make blade the blade one successful, cause all you need is a voice, but the others, it was like, well, and you, and you get back into that issue of is Disney plus a separate thing. Do you have to watch these enjoy the movies because otherwise that in tag in a quote unquote traditional sense should have been something for Laura, uh, Thor, Laura, Thornton, love and thunder, right? I mean, that's also something that Taika probably would have shot and they would just threw on the end. Right. But ask skips over miss Marvel, you know? So do you put Ms. Marvel here? I don't remember the Intacct, a black widow put us into Hawkeye in tag to one division. Put us into this. I don't see why you couldn't do something here that puts us into Ms. Marvel and they don't have to shoot it. You know, no way home trailer, uh, in tag was just the trailer for this movie. Oh, yeah, that too. I generally forgot. I
Trey: said Marvel. Um, I will say there's an alternate universe where Ms. Marvel was already out. So that's another thing to consider where these tags almost can't because the COVID shuffle reshuffling of things just naturally, it's just almost impossible.
Jude: Yeah. Yeah. You know, and, and that's fine. Right. But then at that point, it's like, you know, so I guess we confirmed, we're going to get a third, Dr. Strange, like, eh, you know, and that's, I haven't seen a report saying that, so yeah. I just, I have not. And I have some issues with the way they're handling a multi-verse right now, anyways. Um, and I, and I think, I think the, I think this movie is bringing those issues really front and center. I
Trey: told you yesterday on the conversation, a phone call conversation, I'm done with the multi-verse for awhile. Like I've enjoyed my time with it. I'm multi-verse out. And I'm glad we probably won't see it again until Loki season two or quantum mania, like I'm done with it. Like it's, let's put it on the shelf for now.
Jude: Yeah. Give me more midnight.
Trey: Well, you know, normally we get to this part of the outline, the future of the MCU means the narrative. It's very funny that we're talking about the future of the MCU as a whole. Well, is there any, uh, final comments you want to make on
Jude: the way out? I'm sorry.
Trey: Yeah, this is going to be a for hope. See, people's
Jude: hope you'll come back next week.
Trey: We have a really fun episode scheduled for next week, tentatively scheduled because things always change. But if you're upset with this one, we promise next week, it's going to be
Jude: really fun. Yeah. You know what, if you're upset with this, that's fine. Come into the discord and let us know. Yeah.
Trey: You know what, if you want to let us know, you can reach us at MC you need to know both on Twitter and Instagram. And like Jude said, there's a discord link that you can find in the show notes as well.
Jude: And we have our phone number. You can call and leave me a voicemail and telling me how right or wrong I. And she does that voicemail might end up on the pod
Trey: depending on how much profanity.
Jude: It's just going to be one long beep.
Trey: Now I almost want to do that just for the fun of. If you want to reach that phone number, you can find us at (512) 893-1355. Call us, leave us a voicemail and it will be featured
Jude: in the show. I think Nick's Sandy's next. Should we be jumping around out of order?
Trey: There will rating and review was the last thing
Jude: done. We really were encouraged that after this episode,
Trey: that's dang it. We'd also like to thank you, Sandy, for these of our theme song, which is his rendition of the Avengers theme. You can buy more of his work in a SoundCloud, which is linked in the show notes as well. Well, that's going to do it. Thank you so much for listening and to thank you so much for doing this.
Jude: Thank you for the opportunity tray.
Trey: We'll see you all next week. I really, I thought about it as soon as I said it. I really would've said to thank you so much for booing this. Oh, that was interesting. Just,
Jude: it was so bad.
Trey: I had a feeling, it was going to be like this because I came out with like, it was fun. It was fine. I was disappointed that it didn't meet the first level, the first movie, but the more I thought about it, the more I was like, ah, dah, dah, dah. And then I started texting with you and I think podcast brain took over and I was like, oh no, this, this is going to be a beat down episode. It's
Jude: just so bad. It's not that I don't like rain. And he's a good filmmaker and I've enjoyed his films. Like I even have his IMDV up, right? Like, uh, well the three Spider-Man right. The gift. I, if it's what I thinking it is, you know, I mean, it's, wasn't the best of movies, but whatever entertaining, a simple plan, if I remember right. Was, you know, entertaining. Good. Well, he did for the love of the game. That can't be right. Yeah. He did for the love of yang. I mean, like, he clearly knows how to not do he, he clearly knows how to not be him. Right. And the quick and the dead. Okay, good. Uh, army of darkness, super huge cult following dark man, really enjoyed document. Like there's good stuff in there, but it's like, we didn't need the evil dead Ramy and the MCU like this was, that was just a bad idea. And Scott Derrickson. Oh my gosh. What was his vision of. That would have been amazing to see, like give me the Derrickson cut. Right? Like
Trey: it's just
Jude: embarrassing, you know? Cause it's like, Hey, these movies, they are cinema. And like trying to defend like the John rhe and these movies and the work people do against like, you know, these uptight directors that basically do the exact same thing. But for some reason they get to be called, you know, do like June, oh my gosh, tune so bad that there's no way in hell that should have been nominated for best picture. Um, and Scorsese, like I love Scorsese, but like. Man, these are just dude. All you ever do is mob movies. Come on. Like that's what you do. Mob movies in religious movies. And I'm just like, you gotta be kidding me. I mean, when you get like the director of all people, then like the day after tomorrow and independence day, and they're like bashing on the Marvel movies and like, dude, you don't even have a leg to stand on. And then, you know what we do? We're like, Hey, you know what? Let's give them more ammo. That's actually legitimate this time.
Trey: Oh man, that's funny. Oh my
Jude: gosh. Time's up,
Trey: dude has his arms outstretched and.
Jude: Like Michael Waldron has written one Rick and Morty episode. He had Kate Heron overcome his ineptitude. Wow. I haven't watched heals yet, but apparently that's supposed to be good. Then we have Dr. Strange and the multiverse madness and, huh, what's this announced writer for untitled star wars. Kevin foggy project. I'll start another timer. They have to be related. There's no way. There's no way this guy deserves to touch.