Caitlin Faas, a professor of human development and life coach, joins Nick to discuss the psychology of overeating.
- The Life Coach School
- “Overeating” vs “weight loss”
- Eating as a way to push down difficult feelings
- How long do emotions really last?
- Patterns of emotional eating
- Managing urges
- Intentional vs automatic thoughts
- Curiosity and “I wonder…” statements
- Indulgent feelings
- System 1 and System 2 thinking
- Why relying on willpower usually backfires
- Shaping desire
- Real joy vs false pleasures
- Is “Listen to your body” really good advice?
- Relationship between stress and weight loss
- Relationship between food and mood
- Body positivity
You can learn more about Caitlin and her work here:
Get the latest Minds&Mics episodes as soon as they're released
If you enjoyed this episode of Minds&Mics and want to get notified whenever new episodes are released, you can join Nick's free weekly newsletter here →
What is Minds and Mics?
Psychologist Nick Wignall interviews experts in the fields of psychology, mental health, and human potential to better understand how the mind works and how we can make it work for us to improve our lives in practical, meaningful ways.