Alison: Can I also point out the other thing that I just noticed. You and I are twinning.
Matt: Howso?
Alison: We're both wearing black v-neck tshirts. Gross.
Matt: Is it gross or is it delightful?
Alison: Hive mind is in full effect here on ADHd20.
Matt: Hive mind. Hi, Alison.
Alison: Hello, Matt. It feels like it's been so long.
Matt: It does because we've been, I've been away. and by a way, I've been living in another place. And now I'm back to my own place, which
Alison: Yaaaaay!!
Matt: Yeah, we've learned a lesson there. That it's, more difficult to take ADHd20 on the road, but we managed to do it. Managed to do it somehow, we did it. Um,
Alison: We've been getting it done and we have been living by our own self-set-into-motion mantra of done is better than perfect.
Matt: Done is better than perfect.
Alison: Are you ready? To do the thing that we now are going to start doing to open our episodes. And roll a D100 and ask questions?
Matt: Yes. Yes. I know. This is the new thing, by the way, if you didn't catch last week's. We're actually in the, we're basically in the right time now, we're in the
Alison: We are!
Matt: We're in the right, frame of mind. We're no longer living in the past or the future. But yes, if you
Alison: We're current!
Matt: This is happening, y'all! Last week the episode where you started building a beautiful ADHd20 D100 table of questions.
Alison: Some about ADHD, some about D&D, some about everything and nothing. Everything everywhere. All at once. nothing at all, too. Yup. What'd you roll?
Matt: Oh, geez. First, I have to roll.
Alison: Already distracted yourself. We're off to a great start.
Matt: 75.
Alison: 75. Your question is. I don't think you're going to like this one, so going to ask it of you anyways. You're going to a Con! Who are you cosplaying as?
Matt: Oh, no. I'm going to a con. Any kind of, any specific con?
Alison: Any con. I think what I wrote it, assume some kind of, nerd flavor con. But if there's a different con that you see yourself going to, you can. In fact let's make that part of the question. What con would you go to, if you could go to any con right now this year and who would you cosplay?
Matt: You know, This is funny because you say that I wouldn't like this episode. I probably would never go to a con and cosplay. So you're correct about that, but I was just thinking about... I just came up with what would be a great cosplay outfit, which of course I would use for Halloween instead. But what the heck was it? It was something really obscure. Oh,
Alison: The hipster remains.
Matt: The hipster remains, There was one there's one year that I actually really wanted to go as Dream. And Lindsay would be Death. Of, Dream and Death of the Neil Gaiman universe, Sandman. Sandman. I thought that would be really fun to do. Basically you're dyeing your hair, black, teasing it up really big. And you know, wearing ahnks. And really heavy black eyeliner. I'm very excited about that show coming out on Netflix. I've been a Sandman fan for many years, so. Buckle up Alison, cause I'm looking at you and there's absolutely no level of, comprehension there.
Alison: None.
Matt: Strap in because there's a whole lot of, nerdery a lot more nerdy for you ahead for us to discuss.
Alison: I can't wait for that.
Matt: Still probably some of the best written graphic novel stories. Yeah, we'll talk about it. We'll talk about it anyway. So Death and Dream. of. But There was another one. If it comes to me, I'll...
Alison: Middle of the episode, just blurt it out
Matt: Blurt out. Okay. Alright. How about you?
Alison: I rolled in 88.
Matt: You rolled an 88. This is a good one. Do you have any superstitions?
Alison: I don't currently, I will say back in the olden days, when I used to perform more regularly, I always did, like always had some little something that I would have to like do backstage before I would go on the stage. But I don't really have any now?
Matt: Hold on, hold on. Hold on. Let me, I'm sorry to interrupt you. I watched you pull out like a, a tree's worth of incense. Light it. And do this entire freaking ceremony over your dice, dude.
Alison: Is that a superstition, I guess it is. Yeah. You're totally right. So I had real bad dice juju castle birthday weekend. I totally forgot about this. So I did, I pulled out my Florida water and my tarot cards, and lit a candle, and pulled a card. For every set of dice that I have to see what they wanted to tell me. Yeah. That, that, you're right. You're right. I think of that as more witchy, but I guess that's a flavor of superstition.
Matt: I think so. I think so. To me, the definition of superstition, which anybody listening to this can correct me because I accept corrections. But to me a superstition is more something that you do or don't do in order to make something better or worse. That's what you were doing. So. my grandmother was hard, hardcore superstitious. No hats on beds, no going back indoors if you've left. So anytime somebody had to go back in because they forgot something, which as you can imagine was a big problem for me. Pretty much every time we left the house, I would have to run back in. You had to sit down and count to 10 or it would be bad luck. The obvious ones, the mirror breaking. Black cats, all this. All this stuff, but Kiki was really superstitious. So I grew up with all that. Bread and butter. If you're walking with somebody and something crosses between you, you have to say bread and butter. Or else you'll have bad luck.
Alison: Wow. I've not even heard of a lot of these.
Matt: Uh, my little hyper-focus thing when I was at a certain age as I got a book on superstitions and I learned about every single one of them. So that I could know,. without Kiki even telling me, because I loved her so much. I wanted her to think I was cool and know all the superstitions. Yeah.
Alison: I am incapable of walking past a dandelion and not picking it, making a wish. And if I don't blow all the seeds off in one breath that wish will not come true.
Matt: Wow. See you've got more than you think. You're living in superstition.
Alison: I'm just steeped in them. Well that was fun.
Matt: Yeah, thanks for that table.
Alison: I do need to give credit where credit is due on the table. Our friend Fitz, who we mention on most episodes helped with this. And a few other friends as well. So thank you. For those of you who helped me put this together. I feel like I know a lot about you, Matt, but there's always more I could learn.
Matt: I have a new podcast goal. Are you ready?
Alison: Yes.
Matt: My new podcast goal is that we do as many of these as it takes to go through every single one of the 100 questions.
Alison: I'm so down for that. Challenge accepted. Let's do it. Well, are we ready to dive into today's topic at hand?
Matt: Let's dive into today's topic and it's all you, you have had your mind on the game. That's not the phrase, but you've had your game. Eye on the ball and you came prepared with some show notes.
Alison: I did. We'll back up a little bit into how I got into this in the spirit of full disclosure and sharing things. Um, I have been testing out a couple of different ADHD medications over the past few months. So I recently decided that the first one that we started me on was not for me. So I am now on a brand new medication. And, uh, one of the side effects is insomnia. So I have been wide awake for, stretches of hours at a time in the middle of the night. Super chill. Love it so much. And, so during one of said, ADHD med-induced insomnia bouts, I happened to notice that a message had come in from a good friend of mine who lives in Italy. So Her name is Taryn and we've been very good friends since the very first day of college. Uh, So it was this string of, screenshots of this guy's kind of Twitter rant. And she sent it in the spirit of, this is me. This is you. I'm so glad we found each other. I'm not going to read the whole thing, but I'm going to read, the bits and pieces from it because I just, I, it did, it resonated with me so, so much. So it starts out and says, I've mentioned this before, but one of the hardest things about ADHD is how it can wreck your relationships because you don't have friendship degradation mechanics, like everyone
Matt: Mmhmm.
Alison: Like my friendship degradation mechanics are just straight up broken. I can go years without hearing from someone at all and still feel exactly the same level of familiarity about them. But they don't because a friendship degrades if you don't take care of it. It's just kind of like sad because no matter how hard I try to keep up with friendships, I'll inevitably have a dry spell of a few months and by that point, the other person has moved on because why wouldn't they? It's the one skill my ADHD fucks on the hardest. Anyways, this is why I like being friends with other ADHD, autistic, neurodivergent people because we see each other and we're like aaayyyyyyyyyy every time friendship degradation mechanic broke for both of us. And, you know, goes on, in the thread. basically one of my favorite parts of it is he says, I wish people understood that. People who do this don't deliberately ghost people. It's I thought it had been two days. It has actually been two weeks and now this person will be really mad. So I guess I can't say anything now. And then that keeps happening. So yeah. Reading that whole thread just really spoke to me. And I responded to Taryn and ha I'm getting this at three o'clock in the morning, my time because of ADHD. And it's talking about our relationship and us as individuals and in friendship with ADHD. And I think that's a beautiful thing because as we've spoken about before, that's become the whole theme of this podcast is just assuring the rest of the world that we're in this together. So, Yeah, friendship degradation mechanics.
Matt: Yeah. I really like friendship degradation mechanics. I also, by the way, I also like his Twitter handle, which is I make psychedelic. I make psychedelic klezmer funk. I want to hear psychedelic klezmer funk, by the way. Um, I love this because it is something that I've been thinking about a lot too, because I don't think that this is something that a lot of people realize. Like you could know all manner of things about ADHD. You And you still don't know about this. And, I think that because I am aware of it happening. I am more stressed out about friendship degradation mechanics than I probably should be. Because in my mind, exactly. It's just, it's been a little while. And so I won't lose these people as a friend, but. I don't know what they're thinking and I get really wrapped up and I have calendars and recurring tasks that try to get me to call and write and. And speak to, the people that mean something to me, and sometimes it works. And a lot of times it just is a task that keeps showing up on
Alison: Getting bumped.
Matt: CA Bumped every week. And it is a true problem. I thought for the longest time that my inability to make friends You know, once I hit 30 something, 35 or so. Uh, Was either because they were Midwestern and they didn't need friends or I was getting lazier or I had been in a rock and roll band and every single one of my friends was a fan of the band. So I didn't have to work hard. So I didn't learn the skills. You know, I came up with all these different reasons why friendship was difficult for me. And I think I've learned that no, it's actually ADHD, which, is actually a little bit sad, but that's why we're here to talk about it. What are your thoughts about this?
Alison: It's similar to kind of what we've talked about before, along the lines of the less sexy aspects of ADHD. We've talked about the fun, the sparkly, the shiny. But this is one of those where, you know, people just think that you're being lazy or you don't love them, or you think you're too good for them. And I'm saying these things, because these are all things I've heard. That, that, friends of my past have given me as feedback. And of course that makes me feel like garbage. Like I don't. I don't ever want anybody to think I feel like I'm too good for them. Um, Or even too busy? But I do know my tendency in friendship, in life, in work, and what's in the refrigerator, is to go for what's directly in front of me. So it's not that I don't love my friends, that I'm not thinking of them and wanting to spend time with them. It's just that sometimes. Unless you're the thing directly in front of me screaming. A lot of other things just accidentally get swept to the side. And then, yeah, we don't have quite the same relationship with time that others do. So, you know, In my head I'm like, oh, it hadn't been that long. And I think I'm just going to reach back out and pick up where we left off and with some friends you do. And I, and that, that was the line, like in a thread I loved the most of like, when you again, feel seen, like you find somebody who's like, yeah, I got you. It's fine. Um, That only helps you sink into that comfort level even more. But then when you have people who don't understand who think that you were just aloof, lazy, entitled, whatever. Feels bad. so.
Matt: Should we take a moment to say hello to those friends who might be listening to this and. And, you know, just say, Hey. You're part of our object permanence. And has nothing to do with how much we love you.
Alison: And I'm thankful that now I have a lot of friends in my life who will just reach out now. And so if they're thinking of me, they just text me and say, Hey, friend, it's been awhile. You want to get on a phone call? You want to get together?
Matt: Yeah.
Alison: And I appreciate those friends for sticking by me. Through the less than ideal aspects of my personality, my ADHD. And otherwise.
Matt: Yeah, I'm going to actively read the list of people right now. That are bumped. Again, it's not. even bumped sounds terrible because. It is just so hard to explain. But let's see. So luckily I do pretty well with Mom, right? I try to call her every week or so. My friend Nathan, I talked to a lot, but, my friend, Katie. I just would talk to her every week and I just don't. Um, Chris Slack is a great friend that's always fun to talk to.
Alison: Yep.
Matt: I'm doing better with my friend, Mike Smith. Actually, I would love to have him on this podcast at some point. Cause he, he also is, working in the neurodivergent space. Manashi my friend Alpa, my friend Denise, and then Amy Cox. These are people that I really love and I love trying to build relationships with. It's just a small smattering of people, but. Yeah. Do you have a few that you want to shout out
Alison: You are, you are atoning for your misdeeds. And I love it. Um,
Matt: I've got the whip.
Alison: I So I'll steal a couple off of your list. Chris and Amy, for sure are two people that I love, talking to. Our, our mutual friend, Lora. Riz. I owe her a phone call. She called me like a week ago. And I love talking to her. And my, my friend Taryn, who lives in Italy, who thankfully, now I know because of this, she sees me.
Matt: She sees you. Yeah.
Alison: I will say, some of my good friends who do do a really good job of, reeling me back in. So not only am I sorry, but also thank you. Uh, Our good friend, Genna Cohen is real good at putting something in the mail for me which always makes me feel really special or just sending me like a, Hey, miss you hope you're good text. My friend Callie who lives here in Charlotte with me, she let me know that she has started listening to this podcast and she feels like she's gotten to know me even better because of it. But I know that sometimes I do a really poor job of, being inclusive and reaching out. And she always does a great job of hey, whatchya doin, want to hang out. Yeah. Oh man, this is cathartic,
Matt: Yeah, it feels good, right? It feels good. And there's so many more.
Alison: I was just about to say that there's, this is not an exhaustive list by, by any means,
Matt: No, it's not. And it's, it's so interesting. I have. one thing that, that has been helpful to me recently, but it involves more work on their side too. So part of this particular, relationship failure mechanic is. People with ADHD, have a hard time being on the telephone as well. know if this is it's not for everybody. Especially for like cold calls, like calling to get things done. That's very difficult, But I think you hit on it earlier. The guilt factor of, okay. I only have, I have this block of time, but if I get into this conversation, we're going to have so much to catch up on then I don't have time for Uh, you know, hearing all these things. Lalalalala. So there are a few people that I've tried to implement this thing that we call a Fiver. Where we know that this is a problem, the possibility of the longer that you don't communicate, the more that is to say, therefore, the more stress there is to fill time and so on and so forth. So. Uh, With the Fiver, you talk more, but you, I have literally set a time timer and sometimes it's like 15 but I have. You know, My friend, Nate. He'll just he'll send me a text fiver? Question mark. And when I can do this, I will set at the time timer, and then he understands that it's not a personal thing for me to say, okay, I got to go. And right. So he'll often call me when he's picking up his son, for example, and that's great. I know that my mother likes to talk a lot and we always have things to talk about. So I call her during dinner or during a walk, right. Because I can't control the time and I don't understand the time or I'm not aware of it. To put boundaries to the conversation is always helpful. So I would love to implement the Fiver for most of these friends, you know, I really, really would. I think it would take the pressure off.
Alison: was this... where did you get this idea from? I love it. A whole, whole lot.
Matt: I want to say that Nate and I came up with it. I don't, I don't remember the origin story of it. I don't want to take credit where credit isn't due, but. Uh, I don't. I think
Alison: It feels like an MB NB thing.
Matt: Yeah, it just kind of does kind of does. And it really helps. And I've got one more. So there is an app called Marco Polo. It is visual voicemail, right? And of course the only people that I actually share Marco Polo with are actors. Because actors have no problem. No problem. No problem whatsoever. putting a camera on themselves and talking. Uh, But Marco Polo is great because I feel close to them. I can leave a message. They can check it anytime they want or not. It has really helped. Like my friend Matt is about to go off on tour for a show for a year or more, and, yeah, it works. It, of course, it's not, as it's not sharing a pizza, it's not, even it's not even a phone call, but when you need Uh, to feel more connected. It really helps the ADHD brain. Because I could leave him that message at two in the morning or eight in the morning or whenever. An asynchronous conversation, if you will. Uh, Those are my two that I'm kind of leaning into to try to make this issue better. Do you have any tips? Tricks?
Alison: I wish I did. So first of all, I love the Fiver and, and. there's both the, okay, you're going to get onto the phone with somebody and you're going to have to spend the first few minutes apologizing and or justifying how you've been spending your time. And a lot of that, I will readily admit is head trash. A lot of times I will get on the phone with somebody and they're not mad at me. This is perceived, made up anger fully from my own anxiety and nowhere else. But one thing I have noticed. When the workday is over, a lot of times, I just want to disconnect and I don't want to talk to anybody else. That wasn't always the case for me when I worked different jobs that didn't engage as much of my brain for as much of the day, I would be a little bit more open to I'm going to get off work and I'm going to go do activities. And I'm not complaining about the amount of work either. It's just it's where I currently am in life. But I have noticed as a result though, I get done with work and I might know, oh, I want to catch up with somebody, but I don't want to talk for two hours because I value my me time now. And I know I want to get to cooking dinner and, watching some Critical Role or building a new character or whatever, like me things I need to do. So I love the idea of a Fiver because then that kind of gives a definitive beginning and end. Um, Without you having to make up the, well, let me let you go type of thing. So I think I want to start the Fiver.
Matt: Try it out!
Alison: That's
Matt: And it doesn't have to be a Fiver of course. It could be a Ten-er. Whatever you want it to be, but I, it has. it has really helped, I think, Especially if you're diligent about it and.
Alison: Yeah.
Matt: Um, yeah.
Alison: That's the kicker right there is I am a natural born procrastinator. And so there are a lot of things that I make more difficult just because the amount of time I allow to pass by.
Matt: Yeah. Yeah.
Alison: Like a lot of these friends, by the time I do get to hang out or talk to them, there's just a lot to download. Even with my best friend, Lori. She lives in Atlanta. We try and see each other as often as we can. She's much better about calling me than I am about her. And so sometimes there's weeks where we'll talk a couple of times a week. Other times it's maybe once a month or even less. And when we have those times, it's like, we now have to schedule a two hour marathon. Whereas if I would just call her.
Matt: Yeah.
Alison: Once a week, it's like, what's going on with you?
Matt: I know, and it is.
Alison: Oh, man, Matt, you broke my brain.
Matt: I broke your brain, but I, but I. That's the other thing, I feel like if we could have these kinds of conversations with our friends and instead we're having a podcast about it. If we can have these legitimate conversations with our friends and just say, Hey, so this is actually just the way that my brain works. I know that you're not actually angry with me. That my procrastinating to spend time with myself has nothing to do with you and how much I want to catch up with you. It's just what the brain does. And I. But I think if we could have these conversations and say, could you help us too, like, would you be interested in starting a Fiver with me?
Alison: It's funny though, because when you asked me, do you have any tips and tricks? I almost said, is this podcast, not one, like this journey of self discovery we're on together, that we then verbalize into a microphone and our friends hear and say, oh,
Matt: Yeah.
Alison: why they do that.
Matt: Oh,
Alison: I guess that's maybe what I need to work on. It's funny for as impulsive as I can be, that's like the one place that I have impulse control that maybe I shouldn't.
Matt: Yeah.
Alison: I should act on those impulses. Somebody comes into my brain. I should send them a text and say, Hey, thinking about you.
Matt: It's tough because we're always doing this dance right. Of, oh, my gosh. I've completely overextended myself. I need to get better at overextending. Okay. So I won't do this. Okay. I need to, I need to say no to this. I need to have some me time. Okay. I've got me time. But. No matter how much you love them. Calling someone is. It has to go on a task list. It has to go on a calendar. Like I have to, I've actually sent friends, a booking calendar link. And I apologize profusely every single time. And I try to make that particular calendar as friendly as possible. And it just says friend time with Matt, They still have to like book a time, which is the most impersonal, creepy thing of the, of the 21st century, but. It works.
Alison: Whatever it takes. Get those calendars blocked and make that time for them.
Matt: So true. Yeah, As much as we love spontaneity. And we, as much as we love, Uh, new things I do know that routine is so much better for me and my brain. I know that it is. I fight it. Nonstop. I will fight it. And if anything gets in the way of that routine. It can just crash and burn. Are there any other things that object permanence affect you?
Alison: Yeah, every, literally every part of my life. I have had to rearrange my refrigerator because I buy food and I forget. There's a lot of like use the, um, produce drawers for your condiments, because you're always going to go find your condiments. But you're not going to remember to go find the fruits and veggies. So I've had to rearrange my refrigerator. So that way the thing I need to be eating is front and center. So I can't conveniently forget about it.
Matt: No more wilted cabbage.
Alison: No more wilted spinach. Um, and then like, when we first are talking about this topic, you were like, can this relate to D&D to which I say absolutely. Like I am the queen of getting so I use a digital character sheet. I use D&D Beyond for any fellow D&D nerds listening. And so it's organized, there's a lot of information about your characters, especially as you level up. And so everything's separated into different tabs. I tend to live between my actions and my spell tabs and forget to dive into like my features and traits and, descriptions and backstories and even inventory. And so I might have the most bomb object in the world at my disposal. Or some kind of really cool feature that I'm constantly forgetting to use always. Cause I don't think to dive into the inner workings of my character sheet and
Matt: you. I think you literally just mentioned this in a game that we played this week. Didn't you get this? There was like something that would have changed the entire game if you had
Alison: so. It was a one-shot that we did at Castle Birthday, where we could not get past these ginormous frogs and I was playing a firbolg.
Matt: Yeah.
Alison: And I could have spoken with the frogs, had this innate magic born in me.
Matt: Yes.
Alison: That I could have just communicated with them and ask them to move and let them know that we no harm would come to them. If they, got out of our way. And instead we brutally murdered them, which is, you know, the point of the game. So it's fine.
Matt: Brutal. It was brutal. Wow.
Alison: I could've just talked to them. If I had gone to my features and traits. And just said, hey move.
Matt: You have changed my life, my virtual tabletop role-playing life. When you said that you love combat. And you're spending all this time that I. that I see you looking elsewhere. You're looking at this at this just mentioned D&D Beyond character sheet. And you're, you're hunting through tabs that I've just, now that I see now, when I see you do that, I'm like, oh yeah, she's just dealing with object permanence. yeah, I'm a much happier person now.
Alison: All this time you thought I was checking my email and I was just going through my spells. But see that's the thing is that I am staring, but I'm only looking at the spells tab. I am ignoring four other helpful
Matt: I know. I know.
Alison: So there was a time when we were first playing D&D in the very early, early days of 2020. My entire monitor, my second monitor was covered in sticky notes, reminding me to do things. Like, don't forget you have this item and don't forget that, you added this spell last time. Cause otherwise I would just completely forget
Matt: But no, no longer?
Alison: Well, most of them have fallen off or, and we don't play that game anymore. But I should probably start doing it for our games now.
Matt: That's a great idea. That is a great idea.
Alison: Sticky notes, man, that a tip I will drop on you. Sticky notes have always been my friend.
Matt: You know, You can't, leave them too long, right? Because if you leave them too long, then they become permanent as well. Therefore they blend in and you don't ever read them again. Right?
Alison: Yeah.
Matt: So it is. but you are totally right. And I always forget about post-it notes. And they do work.
Alison: One on my monitor still right now.
Matt: Yeah.
Alison: It says, get off autopilot. Be here now.
Matt: Ooh.
Alison: That was the working of a therapy session. And so I wrote that down as a reminder to myself, to live in the present. Instead of the past or the future. So.
Matt: I love that. Similarly, I am trying. Because, I mean, I think that is. That is what the object permanence is. Is that, the issue here is that we have put this concept in a box and shuttled it away. Right. So. The sticky notes, kind of bring it back to the forefront. But if they're there too long, then they could become part of it. So I'm currently working on a software solution of sticky notes to try to find ways to present goals for the next season or or friends that I have to Marco Polo have a Fiver with And that is really tough for me because I'm always trying to find the thing that will help. I don't think there will be a perfect thing, but. The problem with, with pen and paper is that you can't search it, but it is so good to write things down and to really...
Alison: yeah.
Matt: Keep writing things down. So it's just trying to find that balance of the right tool for the right thing. Um, so that's, that's what actually, what I was working on today was. Is there something that I can trigger at the end of the day? That says. Think about this and maybe it could even have sort of a, like a randomness to it. Just, so I don't see it and go, oh, ignore it. Right. Like If something important comes at me at 5:30 and I'm like, okay, great, great, great. I really try to pay attention to it and then it goes, and the next day might be something different. I don't know that it works, but.
Alison: Yeah.
Matt: I don't know, don't work.
Alison: I think you're onto something with the randomness, though. I like, I know I've many, many times I've put in my calendar at the end
of the day: please go exercise. And it's because it's repetitive, I just, it's like the alarm that you snooze
Matt: Snooze
Alison: I do. I wonder what the... randomizer. I'm very interested in beta testing this with you, Matt, whatever you come up with. I need it too.
Matt: I will keep you posted
Alison: Excellent. You will keep me post-it note.
Matt: I will keep you post-it note. Um, but yeah, It is. As a dungeon master I feel, like my whole world is what you just said about just the character sheet. The information is right there. And yet. Sometimes I just can't pull it up. Sometimes I will have something planned, like actually worked out and thought out like names or monster stats. And at the moment I will just forget that I did that work and I'll invent it all again. Uh, Except improvised this time and therefore sloppy. You know, that's frustrating. It's frustrating. It's frustrating as hell, yo.
Alison: We just have to remember. Own the space take the beat. forcing us to go faster. I always feel like I've got to like, go, go, go, go, go, go, go. But. Nobody's rushing me. We are not rushing you, Matt. Take your time.
Matt: And that reminds me of one more.... permanence that is a problem for me. I don't know if we talked about this, but I constantly hurt myself.
Alison: Yup. That's
Matt: That's object permanence. Isn't it? Because I am. I am like either something has moved or something is in the way or a chair is there, or most importantly, I'm going too fast because I'm I've already experienced getting around this chair a billion times. So it doesn't matter. And if I don't take the time to gauge, then I'll just stub that toe over and over and over.
Alison: Yeah. You're in your mind, you're already where you were going without ever actually having gotten there physically.
Matt: Yeah. We just need Dimension Doors. Ready to just jump through them. Just jump through them..
Alison: I think you're... let's Misty Step first, then Dimension Door. We gotta
Matt: yeah. Yeah, we'll work our way up to Dimension Door. Yeah, you're right. Misty Step. That's good enough. well, I love it. Well, I hope Alison, that, that when we make this public, it's like an apology to our friends that miss us. And were just waiting by the phone slash texts slash email slash Marco Polo. And just why have they not communicated with me? So maybe now, you know that we still love you very much and we can't wait to talk to you again. We just have to.
Alison: I guess we'll know how well this episode lands based on the number of friend requests we get on Marco Polo. Sometime in the next seven days.
Matt: Yeah, I'm into it. I'll Polo with all y 'all.
Alison: Oh All y'all. Let's Polo.
Matt: Well, I just opened that up. I don't know about that. That's scary. I just got scared and even saying it, I got scared.
Alison: That's how I Matt stopped Marco Polo-ing. You overwhelmed yourself, my friend.
Matt: sure as hell did. I did it myself as usual. Well, Alison. I loved this topic and, this was a good one. Thanks for hitting the homerun on this.
Alison: Thanks for being wide awake at 3:00 AM last week.
Matt: Yeah, thanks for being awake. Thanks to your friend in Italy. I feel like this is just the beginning of this, conversations like this though.
Alison: Thanks, Matt!
Matt: Thanks, Alison. Thanks for being on podcast With me.
Alison: Thanks for inviting me onto your podcast,