Richard Haykel is the Chairman of Haykel Hospital S.A.L. in Tripoli, Lebanon and Executive Director of CARA Ventures, LLC. Richie has a Bachelor of Arts in Economics from Tufts University, a Master’s of Hospital and Health Care Administration and Management from the University of Paris Cite. He is also a Harvard Business School Executive Program graduate and OPM 49. Richie is a member of the Young President’s Organization (YPO) and is home based in Tripoli, Lebanon.
- Lebanon has always been at the crossroads between East and West. "It plays a role much bigger than its geography."
- A $6 tax for What's App launched the Oct 2019 revolution.
- (11:30) The financial system collapse has led to 80% of the population in poverty, runs on banks, life savings wiped out for many. Prior to this, the poverty rate was around 20%. Overnight, a majority of the population was plunged into poverty.
- (20:00) "Morally, we needed to walk the talk with our kids." We came back to make a difference!
- "Everything rises and falls on leadership." - John Maxwell
- (22:45) What are the warning signs that this could be coming to your country?
- (30:00) Why are we starting to see a reverse migration from America?
- (31:00) Why are tenured professors at Columbia and Princeton afraid of losing their job?
- (37:00) There is no dollar alternative at the moment.
- (46:00) Bitcoin, crypto winter, FTX collapse and the future of cryptocurrencies...and real estate?
- (49:00) How did the pandemic impact the middle east and Lebanon? Lebanon has the ability to adapt.
- (54:00) How does Hezbollah impact everything in Lebanon today?
- (56:00) What is the impact of Saudi Arabia and MBS in the middle east?
- (1:04:00) The pivot to Asia has destroyed the trust of the United States in the middle east.
- (1:18:00) Why do you invest so much in advanced education and continued education later in your career?
- (1:24:00) Book Recommendations - Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell, Deep Purpose by Ranjay Gulati, Glass Half Broken by Boris Groysberg Podcast "After Hours"
- (1:30:00) Leadership insights while leading during a crisis.
- (1:34:00) What would Richie say to the American people if he was asked to give a State of the Union address?
Creators & Guests
Freelance Audio Engineer, 2011 Recording Connections Certified Audio Engineer
What is Taking the Leap?
Taking the Leap Podcast hosted by Robert Dickie III discusses changes in our global economy impacting the way we work and live. For young professionals starting their careers, mid-career professionals navigating changes and late-career professionals thinking about starting an encore career, Robert and his guests discuss the global economy, technology, workplace developments, and all the latest changes impacting our professional lives.