Workforce Planning and Talent Acquisition: How do you plan for talent acquisition in your industry? What approaches and strategies help you organize talent recruitment plans? How do you get the people with the right skills and knowledge in the right jobs at the right time to meet your organization's strategic goals and objectives? (AOE 7. Integrated Talent Management; 7.2. Workforce Planning and Talent Acquisition Approaches)
- Identify ways to assess current talent capabilities
- Outline a means to estimate future demand
- Examine factors relevant to hiring internally versus externally
- Summarize the relationship between workforce planning and strategic planning
- List five job analysis methods and three Competency Model elements
- Define the role of HR in workforce planning
- Describe the roles of TD professionals in workforce planning
- What basic skills are needed just to maintain the status quo and keep the organization running?
- What Skills are needed to improve the organization?
- What are the new business drivers on the horizon, and what skills are needed to meet those future needs?
BONUS READ: Workforce Planning via NIH Office of Human Resources
Internal vs. External Acquisition: These are the questions talent development professionals ask for their work in an organization to determine this choice/decision due to their participation in employee development programs. Factors considered when choosing to develop talent internally, includes:
- Will the position be difficult to fill?
- Is an internal selection strategically important?
- Are there potential internal candidates?
- Does the position have a steep learning curve?
- Does the position require continually and institutional knowledge/
- Do internal learning opportunities exist?
- Internal promotions are great for employee morale
- A change is desirable
- The open position signals a new direction for the organization and requires a fresh perspective
- Limited internal capacity exists
- Organization is experiencing high growth
- External hire could bring key relationships and intellectual capital
- Outside hires can be motivation and inspiring from a new energy
- Urgent need: with good economy and increased employment demand will require you to have
- The advent of data and technology: merging informed talent decisions integrated with technology
- It’s bigger than HR: it’s not just about recruitment or HR; data from across the talent lifecycle will be informed from other places e.g. finance, marketing, external trends
RESOURCE: Workforce Planning Job Aid [DOWNLOAD] via ATD
Job Analysis & Competency Modeling: A job analysis can be completed in a few different ways depending on the time available, access to subject matter experts, and the level of detail needed. Here are a few job analysis methods:*
- Focus Group
- Work Diary or Log
From a job analysis you identify the requirements of work, create a thorough and complete job description. Competencies will focus more on the skills, knowledge, and attitudes (KSAs) of those employees who are performing the jobs at a high level proficiency, specials apply to pintoin unique characteristics of successful employees that are typically mapped to a competency model. Ideally, talent development professionals will want to develop training that targets those competencies to create a sustainable workforce. Often these competencies guide the needed learning by the organization and often competency models include these 3 areas:
- Executive: KSAs & behaviors required to create vision, lead, strategize, influence, plan negotiate, & recognize talent
- Managerial or Supervisory: KSAs & behaviors required to supervise, direct, counsel, discipline, coach, organize, and development people.
- Functional: KSAs & behaviors required to perform specific tasks
Other roles for Workforce Planning in TD: To support some of this workforce planning there are a few prominent roles that TD professionals play as HR partners, including:
- Business Partner
What is Learn/Perform Mixtape?
The Learn/Perform Mixtape is a podcast of my study notes as I prepare for the Certified Professional in Learning and Performance (CPLP). More at: https://techknowtools.com/learnperform-mixtape/