As Japan gets back into full-on Corona mode, the flailing Japanese business sector gets weird with it.
Intercultural business consultant Rochelle Kopp looks at outside the box ideas to help us pick out the winners, the losers, and the RENTAL FERRIS WHEELS.
Intercultural business consultant Rochelle Kopp looks at outside-the-box ideas to help us pick out the winners, the losers, and the RENTAL FERRIS WHEELS.
Ollie recommends a man-powered cruise in which the galley might have bitten off more river than they can chew, without loosening their dentures.
Bobby checks out a river cruise business model that's equal parts savvy and sadism.
Topics discussed on this episode range from:
- Seasons Greetings
- Why Rochelle is doing the opposite of most people in Japan
- Ollie's online gigs coming back
- Japan's latest attempts to make online work work and why the Japanese management style makes it difficult
- Bobby's appearance on the BBC and how thanks to clever editing you might not have noticed that the people were crazy
- The subset of Japanese English speakers who are nuts, and why that's not racist
- Productivity issues in the new work environment
- What aspects of work culture that we might be losing our missing and how it might affect business long term
- The crazy trend of turning everything into a rental space
- What's innovation and what's desperation
- The effect of work at home on the home relationship ecosystem
- How conducive are these things to actually focusing and working?
- Murder mystery hotel rooms
- Bobby mentions a hotel castle in Kyoto but he's wrong, it's Ozu Castle in Ehime
- What Rochelle thinks is going to survive the pandemic, workstyle wise
Topics Discussed on the Extras:
- Bobby's super niche vegetable-themed parody haiku
- Ollie and Bobby bickering about how to run the show in front of the guest, as they do (EVERY WEEK)
- Rochelle's ridiculously ill-advised River Cruise recommendation
- Conbini-Boys piss taking
- The Queen Beetle which is a boat, or whatever
- Microsoft Teams productivity innovations
- Rochelle's hashtag, #naichaueigo #泣いちゃう英語 English that makes people cry, funny instances of it in our daily lives, how it blew up on Twitter, and how occasionally we catch ourselves assuming something is wrong that isn't wrong, like WET AGED BEEF
- The specific toilet related subthread re: the above
- Rochelle's separate Japanese language and English social media accounts and which one she has to block more people on
- The problem Bobby encounters using ONE twitter account for all of his content
- What Ollie and Bobby think about the assertion that there's no SARCASM in JAPAN and WHY it is that people tend to think that Japanese people don't get sarcasm
- Internet slang that probably didn't need to be explained, sorry
- Threads: A thread
- The corona-virus being blamed on foreigner follow-up
- How many Japanese people are actually using Go To Travel
- Third Waves around the world
- The obvious reasons that the pandemic has gotten worse
- Whether or not Rochelle ever found the factor X for Japan's corona success
- The real skinny on whether or not Rochelle enjoys the JBRC humor and her appearances on the show
It's $5/month, and we rely on our listeners like to support the show, so those who can't afford it can continue to enjoy it for free each week. Thank you for your support!
Have something you'd like to say? Send us a fax at japanbyrivercruise.com
or Tweet to us at @jbrcpod
What is Japan By River Cruise?
Stand-up comedians Bobby Judo and Ollie Horn purport to report on the Japanese river cruise industry each week.