Can our digitally mediated environment be spiritual? Nick Ripatrazone takes us through the lens of the Canadian philosopher Marshall McLuhan, focusing on his not well-known Catholic faith. McLuhan himself describes his testimony into the Church as, "I came in on my knees. That is the only way in." We discuss the topics around inter-textuality, the complexity of life, on form/function within mediums like poetry, concept/percept, ambiguity and paradox, and McLuhan's famous phrase "the medium is the message". (Recorded April 2022) Transcript: https://hopeinsource.com/communion
- [00:00] Layers of Language Meaning
- [04:26] Bible as Hypertextual Medium
- [08:47] Embracing the Messiness of Everything
- [12:57] Incarnational Poetry
- [17:41] 'Coming on my Knees'
- [20:28] From Tech to Philosophy
- [24:14] In Art, Faith is Perception
- [30:42] Art as the Boundaries of Language
- [33:20] Satan as a Great Electrical Engineer
- [37:23] Authentic Religion is Full of Ambiguity
- [39:52] What is Sin Really?
- [42:34] Understanding McLuhan
- [47:06] Living is Lengthening the Narrative
What is Hope in Source?
What are the parallels between faith and open source software? Join Henry Zhu for an off-the-cuff conversation between friends. Check out hopeinsource.com and nadiaeghbal.com/public-faith for the backstory!