RJ: This is for the sled dogs in the trenches. Real hockey parents, real stories. The Good and the Gong Show. No filters, no sugarcoating, no politics, just straight hockey talk, and the best guests around the barn. Welcome to the Crazy Hockey Dads Podcast. Alright, boys. Grind them corners, chirp responsibly, and bring that savage fire.
Jamie: Alright, everybody. Welcome back to episode 63 of the Crazy Hockey Dads Podcast, the unfiltered podcast for hockey parents. No politics, no sugarcoating, just real talk for hockey parents in the trenches.
Scott: Nailed it. Dude, what what a recovery from the last recording. Jeez. You got got some sleep. You probably ate some Wheaties.
Jamie: Don't know what Yeah. Else you Yeah. Yeah. No. It was good. Yeah. Yeah. I don't know what was I don't know. It was late last time too.
Scott: Yeah. Was
Jamie: We're recording different time different time of day. Yeah. You know? And thank you to BJD, Big John Daniels, for our awesome introduction. You can find him in Big John Daniels' Instagram. Buddy, what is going on?
Scott: Yo, dude. That is a great question. It is. Not Less and less hockey. Yeah. Awesome season. Been going on. Yeah. Yeah. Last weekend, Otto was out on a mountain biking. Did we I forget when we recorded it.
Jamie: I think we talked did we talk
Scott: about race.
Jamie: We did talk about it because you said you were there for a very long time.
Scott: Yeah. Yeah.
Jamie: That was And didn't get to see a whole heck of a lot. No. Unless you were like a ranger on the course, and then and then you said you didn't wanna, like, you know
Scott: Pretty much. Be
Jamie: stuck there when he was done. Yeah. Which would have been a little rough.
Scott: Yeah. That was that would have been annoying.
Jamie: That would been rough. Yeah.
Scott: So then Otto had his first track meet this week. Oh, nice. His first track meet. And then Noah had her first lacrosse game. Exciting. So we've had like a Spring sports. Spring sports
Jamie: Okay.
Scott: Are upon us.
Jamie: And I see the spring has ushered in a new look for you. You have a collar on for the first time.
Scott: Yeah. That's
Jamie: true. I've never seen you kind of buttoned up like that.
Scott: I wouldn't call it buttoned up.
Jamie: Well, more buttoned up than I've ever seen you before.
Scott: Yeah. You know, I just opened my closet and it spoke to me and I said, this is what we're
Jamie: doing I understand why it spoke to you because it's been like 80 degrees here the last couple days. So a short sleeve collared shirt is probably the way to go.
Scott: It's not a bad way to go. I'll tell you
Jamie: that. No. It's not. And it's very colorful for springtime.
Scott: Well, mean, it's a it's a nice white and salmon.
Jamie: Yes. It is salmon.
Scott: Salmon. I think
Jamie: it looks good.
Scott: That's buddy. I appreciate that. From a man who wears a lot of collars, that means a lot.
Jamie: I do. Yeah. Yeah. I I am tied up a bunch.
Scott: Tied up? Yeah. Why do you call it tied up?
Jamie: Well, because normally, back in the day when we were wearing ties, like, had a tie on all the time.
Scott: Oh, now I see what you're saying.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. So the collar is I'm just kinda used to it. Know? Yeah. It was always work was was it like a dress shirt, like a button down dress shirt with a tie and like a pullover over it.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: Or like a
Scott: It's a cardigan.
Jamie: No. But thanks for asking.
Scott: You know, even if if that if an opportunity to drop that line came up every podcast You'd
RJ: take still make me laugh.
Jamie: Listen. I mean, it's one of the funniest parts of that movie, by the way. And I keep getting I keep getting like like when I talk to our our hockey parents because we we had practice this week. Because we have a event tomorrow. So they had mentioned I saw them on Thursday, they had already listened to the episode.
Scott: Yeah. We dropped them on Wednesday,
Jamie: you know? So they are all giggling at the lines that we drop. Tech tech, sir? I mean, like mean, seriously, Is there a funnier movie? I mean, Dumb and Dumber? I mean, it's It's it's of hard to are stop. So many lines from that movie. I mean, you just go down the list. I mean, it's like, our pads. Hats are falling off.
Scott: What about what about well, we can tie this into hockey when Cam Neely
Jamie: That's true, actually.
Scott: When Cam Neely makes his appearance and then he goes, That's You're going to eat right. Yeah. No. I Maybe
Jamie: thought about it.
Scott: God just hopped in my burger.
Jamie: It's funny. I told you I got the Camilius in there.
Scott: Gary goes to the goes to the the host station and he goes, so Sebas and the boys over there, they're gonna bias around. C Bass said this? Oh, yeah. And then you they they paid over to
RJ: C Bass and he's like,
Scott: yeah. Yeah. So good.
Jamie: He was so I I forgot Cam Neely was in that, dude. I totally forgot about that.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: That's a great movie. I mean, was it was that his no. It's his coming out movie, Jim Carrey. Like, what was his coming out movie? I don't know. Was it like well, I'm trying what was first? Liar Liar? Or I just looked at my computer and it is on red. Like, this thing's not
Scott: Oh, you need to plug it in?
Jamie: This thing's not gonna last. That's nah. It's fine. I don't know. I don't really need it. Okay. Yeah, man. High of 8%. We're good. Is there a funnier movie or Jim? Like, Liar Liar was pretty good. Yeah. Right? That was pretty good. The Mask was was good, but not, like, funny.
Scott: Right.
Jamie: You know what I mean? Like, I can't quote a lot of lines from The Mask. No. You know? Other than, like, smoking. Like, there's not a whole unless I'm forgetting. We probably have people screaming
Scott: at You know better than me. That's for sure.
Jamie: Mean, what's give me give me what's your favorite Jim Carrey movie, if had to pick one?
Scott: Dumb and Dumber.
Jamie: Okay.
Scott: Cable Guy.
Jamie: Cable Guy wasn't bad. Definitely not bad. Not bad.
Scott: I mean, Pet Fin Ace Ventura Oh is my god.
Jamie: I I was just gonna say, how do we not talk about those? I mean, if you if you if you if you pull up his thing, he's known for Bruce Almighty, The Mask, and Ace Ventura. How's Dumb and Dumb and Nod in there, by the way?
Scott: I mean That's the suspect.
Jamie: Yes. Right. I mean, yes. That is definitely suspect. What about the one where he was the oh my god. What what was the name of it? Scott, it was one where he was the motorcycle cop up in Rhode Island. Oh my god. I can't think of what it was called.
Scott: I don't know.
Jamie: It wasn't Bruce O'Malley.
Scott: Oh, oh, oh, oh. Yes, you know
Jamie: what I'm talking about. It wasn't Cable Guy, it wasn't Dumb and Dumber. Was oh my god, can't remember. I'm trying to look. Me, Myself and Irene.
Scott: Yes, yes. That when The Block was quoting Me,
Jamie: Myself Yes, and correct. Yes, he was doing the yes, exactly. I mean, he's got oh my god, fun with Dick and Jane?
Scott: He's an accomplished dude, Ben.
Jamie: Oh my god, he's
Scott: But he's not for everyone.
Jamie: No, definitely not for everyone. But his acting is like, his comedy is pretty legit.
Scott: Yeah. Know.
Jamie: Like, if you think about, like, people I I see he was in Anchorman two? Why do I not remember that? He was in Anchorman two?
Scott: I never saw Anchorman two.
Jamie: I don't think I've seen a lot of Anchorman two. The first one was was killer. The second one was like you know? But think about it. What other comedic geniuses are out there that can stay on the same plane as him?
Scott: Oof. Right? I mean, that are still
Jamie: Like Will Farrell, I And feel like, on the same then you got some like, but who else is on the same plane as those guys? Some people would put Vince Vaughn. I wouldn't put Vince Vaughn there. You know what I mean?
Scott: I don't think of him in the same way. Although, he is funny. Owen, then it makes me think of Owen Wilson.
Jamie: I mean, again, they're funny. Right? But they're not like like, who are, like, guys? Like, if you had, like, like alright. So then you can also go back to guys like so I I just I just googled, like, the top 10 guys, and and it's a pretty legit list. Although Jim Carrey's not on this. I don't know how he's on this
Scott: Well, not I have a Jim Carrey up top. Oh.
Jamie: I don't know why. The list I have Jim Carrey's not on. And it's on IMDB, which is
Scott: Will Ferrell, Adam Sandler, Eddie Murphy, Steve Carell, Bill Murray, Robin Williams, Ben Stiller, Seth Rogen, Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Paul Rudd, Danny DeVito, Jack Black, Kevin Hart.
Jamie: I don't know if I was is Robin Williams on that list? Yeah. Okay. Is is Mike Myers on the list?
Scott: No. That's a good one.
Jamie: Leslie Nielsen?
Scott: Leslie Nielsen's the
Jamie: best. Mel Brooks?
Scott: Mel Brooks.
Jamie: You mean, like, like, Chevy Chase? Where is Chevy Chase on the list? Dangerfield?
Scott: Dan Aykroyd?
Jamie: I forgot about Dan Aykroyd. I mean, like well, Dan Aykroyd
Scott: He's not he's not see
Jamie: him not on that list. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah, man. Anyway. Anyway. Yeah. Anyway. Yeah. So so you're into spring sports.
Scott: Spring sports are upon us.
Jamie: Okay.
Scott: And that's really that's really it starting to adjust adjust to the outdoor weather vibe.
Jamie: Your shirt says that.
Scott: My shirt says that. And my kid's schedule says that. Right.
Jamie: Right. Right.
Scott: So yeah.
Jamie: Nice. Yeah. All right, good.
Scott: Thank you. Have a had parity thing. How did practice look? You how many practices have you had?
Jamie: We had two.
Scott: Two? Okay. Did you watch the second one?
Jamie: I did. Just to see what the new people looked like.
Scott: And how are you feeling? Good.
Jamie: We have three games tomorrow. Three, like
Scott: Was there is there a noticeable upgrade on the ice?
Jamie: There
Scott: is. There is a noticeable upgrade.
Jamie: Yeah. The puck moves a lot more. It moves a lot faster. The speed is a lot faster.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: Yeah. So I I noticed the difference between, you know
Scott: But what about the players on the ice? Is is that and is that the result of the players on the ice? Or just all the kids are
Jamie: No. I think so. Listen. I suppose they could be all wound up and playing faster and harder, but I don't think so.
Scott: So the the new the new group's bringing new energy. How how many new kids do guys pick up?
Jamie: A lot. What's a lot? I wanna say, like,
Scott: eight. No.
Jamie: Eight? I think so, buddy.
Scott: That's like a rebuild.
Jamie: It's like a retool. I mean It's like a
Scott: retool. Sure.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. Mean, hold on. Let me think. You have one, two. I'm gonna forget somebody too. You have so on defense, you have one, two, three. Yeah. And on offense, have 123. 12. What did say? How how many on d? Three? Three on d?
Scott: Sure.
Jamie: So three on d, then you have on offense. You have one, two, three. I'm forgetting.
Scott: Okay. So that's six. That's still a lot.
Jamie: But it's more than six. It's it's it's it's a 100% more than six. 1234. No. Four. There's four on offense. Three on d, four on offense, and I'm forgetting somebody.
Scott: Seven.
Jamie: It's seven or eight.
Scott: Okay. That's a lot.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. Oh, maybe it is maybe it's seven. Maybe the number's seven. Yeah. No. Even if it's seven, it's a big number.
Scott: And would from what you can tell, are they is it all upgrades?
Jamie: From what I can tell, it seems to be.
Scott: Wow. That's like
Jamie: The product on the ice looks quicker. That's awesome. It looks quicker. It looks the puck moves a lot faster.
Scott: Same goalies?
Jamie: Same goalies. Okay. Yeah. Puck moves a lot faster. I'm sure they love that. Pucks move a lot faster and coming a lot harder. Yeah. So it looks good so far. Monday, Tuesday. It it looks the part. Yeah. You know, let's see if it continues. Tomorrow will be telling. No. It's not true. Tomorrow won't be telling. Tomorrow is the first time they they get to play together as, like, a team.
Scott: Right.
Jamie: So it's not telling. But I bet you I bet you the speed will be different.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: Yeah. I think it will. I'll let you guys know next time we come back here.
Scott: I would think so. I think we think every year it gets faster.
Jamie: Yes. I think that's true because because the kids are getting bigger, stronger, faster.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: You know, I I I did we get bigger? I don't know necessarily when we got bigger. Maybe. Maybe we got bigger. We might have got bigger too.
Scott: Okay.
Jamie: Yeah. But it looks good. Yeah. Now the the product looks good.
Scott: And, any early feedback on teammates? Like, new personalities all all seem to
Jamie: be He knows a bunch of them.
Scott: Oh, that just joined?
Jamie: Yeah. So two he played with like, mites. One he played with as
Scott: That was like years ago.
Jamie: As squirts. Yeah. You know? So one was on our Rockets team first year. Okay. So he's there. We had buddy, old buddy from the Avalanche that when they were full ice mites is there. And then Dom's teammate from two years ago came back. He's back.
Scott: And
Jamie: then Dom does lessons with actually, Dom does lessons with our guest today, actually.
Scott: Oh, there you go.
Jamie: So yes. So, yes. So him and the two of them do lessons with our with our guest for today. So yeah. And he's familiar with a bunch of them. I think it's only a handful he's not familiar with.
Scott: Okay. Cool.
Jamie: So yeah. So tomorrow should be interesting. See how it goes.
Scott: Great.
Jamie: I think the coaching staff is excited. I know they finalized with Eric. So
Scott: Oh, good. Let's mention it. Let's talk let's talk about it. Yeah.
Jamie: Good to go in that department. Yeah. And I guess we should do our partners.
Scott: There you go.
Jamie: With that being said. Right?
Scott: Howie's Hockey. Alright.
Jamie: So Howie's Hockey. Go use a discount code crazy 10 for 10% off your Howie's Hockey gear. Scott's favorite, the candle. My favorite, the scissors. Stacy's son's favorite, his light blue t shirt. But in all seriousness, they have awesome stuff. I've I've said it many times on this podcast. It's my favorite logo in the youth hockey space next to ours. So if you need anything, tape, laces, gear, they have awesome clothing. In my opinion, they have really cool stuff. The retro colors are awesome. Go use the code crazy 10 to get to get temps and up your Howie's hockey gear.
Scott: Crazy 10. And next up, coach Kevin at hockeytraining.com. Now is the time to check him out if you haven't already. Check out his website. Check out the app. Download. Take a look at what he's got. If you're looking to get your kids some extra reps off the ice at home, wherever you might be, park, high school, whatever the deal is for a quicker, stronger, faster hands, feet, that's gonna translate to on ice performance. You gotta check out hockeytraining.com. There's coach Kevin also has virtual stick handling classes, and it's not just for your kids, any of you beer leaguers, adult league players out there. There's also Men's League domination training programs too.
Jamie: Scott's favorite Men's League domination. 23.
Scott: That's what's up. Anyway, so yeah. No. Check out check out hockeytraining.com for this off season.
Jamie: So now we have Titan Battle Gear. So Scott and I trust our kids in Titan Battle Gear, not just because it protects them, because it looks good too. If you go to titanbattlegear.com or our link in our show notes, is titanbattlegear.com backslash crazy hockey dads, Scott and I trust our kids with it. We think it's the best, protection out there for our kids. And we spend enough money in this game. Nothing wrong with spending a little more money on protecting your kids, right, which is the number one thing. So we love Titan Battle Gear. Like I said, they have great styles. They have great stuff. They have the the highest protection in the industry. So go to titanbattlegear.com and use the code Crazy Dads 10 for 10% off.
Scott: Yeah. I was gonna say, I thought winning was everything. I thought that was the number one thing was winning.
Jamie: Oh, when you're in your Titan battle gear when in your Titan battle gear first, then you go win.
Scott: Oh, and then
RJ: Because you can't win
Jamie: without Titan battle gear. Wow. No. You can't. It's you because if you're if you're not in Titan battle gear, you're worried about getting cut.
Scott: And, if you look good, you feel good, you play good.
Jamie: Bro, kids say it all time. You could
Scott: feel good, play good.
Jamie: You look good, play good. Right? Yep. So, I mean, if you don't plus if you're worried about getting cut, you're not gonna play at your best. So when you're not worried about getting cut, you can play free, and then you'll be your best. So you need Titan Battle Gear first
Scott: There it is.
Jamie: Then you'll be good to go. If you're seeing your kids not if you're seeing that you think your kid's holding back a little bit, just go get him Titan Battle Gear Pace Slam, then he's good to go. Unwashed. Especially the ice cream one, which is pretty sick looking. And the Miami one with the palm tree.
Scott: I like the speckled one.
Jamie: He's like Tom Selleck. No. No. That's that's in Magnum PI. I'm thinking of Don Johnson.
Scott: Don Johnson? The Miami Vice.
Jamie: Don Johnson, Miami
Scott: Let's go.
Jamie: Wrong eighties actor.
Scott: Sorry. TV was so different.
Jamie: Although, I must say Tom Selleck's mustache is pretty unforgettable.
Scott: Unreal.
Jamie: Like, the fact that I linked him with Miami Vice is probably not good. No. No. It should be the Ferrari, not the
Scott: Yeah. But then you're also forgetting about Knight Rider.
RJ: Great show, buddy.
Jamie: Great show, Kit. Hey, Kit. I mean, when you I mean, what a great show that I gotta tell you. Maybe I'm wrong, but, like, TV is not the same today.
Scott: It's different.
Jamie: It's also different because everything is streaming now for the most part. Yeah. But, like, Knight Rider was so cool.
Scott: But you know what's funny?
Jamie: Magnum PI.
Scott: But like if you ever go back
Jamie: So good.
Scott: So listen to this. So this was years ago now. But when I was a kid well, okay. When I was a kid, going back as far as I can remember probably like, it must have been, we lived at that one house, so it was like at least
Jamie: Which first house? The first one in Clooney Road? No. The first one in Clooney. The first one in
Scott: Franklin Lakes? Yeah.
Jamie: Yeah. Okay.
Scott: So we I would always watch MacGyver before Monday Night Football. That was like the one two punch. MacGyver right into Monday Night Football. Really? MacGyver was on before Monday Night Football? It was on before Monday Night Football.
Jamie: Get out. Do not remember that.
Scott: Okay. Yeah, Monday Night Football started at nine. Remember you make the call during Monday night football?
Jamie: Yes.
Scott: Yeah, that was amazing.
Jamie: Yes, I
Scott: did. Anyway, so then loved so MacGyver. Then fast forward to like,
RJ: I don't know, it
Scott: was probably my 20s. Right. Must have been my 20s at some point. My mom was at Costco and they had like the first three seasons of MacGyver on DVD. Okay. And so she bought them for me. And I was like Wow.
Jamie: No way. Okay.
Scott: Then I started watching and I was like I can't believe I like this.
Jamie: Really? Why? Why can you not believe that?
Scott: I I don't know. It just seemed like maybe the the acting was bad. It's just it was or like, you know, when you're in first, second, third grade and you're watching this like adult like MacGyver things like, woah.
Jamie: No. MacGyver was cool.
Scott: He was cool. But it just lost its it didn't have the same impact twenty years later.
Jamie: So it's funny. I get that, by the way. But MacGyver was great back in the day. Sure. My father-in-law can do all that stuff. He can fix that. Can put Is
Scott: it MacGyver?
Jamie: He calls it Rube Goldberg ing. So when you Rube Goldberg something, you fashion it together. Kind of like half ass it, but it works. Like a Rube Goldberg, you rig it, exactly. So MacGyver would do all that. He would be able to put stuff together and it's funny, it reminds me of the movie Six Days, Seven Nights. I don't if you've ever seen it. It's with Harrison Ford and Ann Hache.
Scott: Oh, yes, yes, yes.
Jamie: R I P Ann Hache. But they he was a pilot. They were in, like, The Caribbean somewhere or some island. Right? And they and she needed to get back to The States if the plane goes down. Right? So, like, she she looks at Harrison Ford when they first went down, and she goes, aren't you one of those guys? He's like, what do you mean? What's one of those guys? She's like, you put you and they send them out to the wilderness with a pocket knife, and they build you a shopping mall. Was on the lines in that movie. So when you said MacGyver, that's where my mind Yeah.
Scott: Yeah. That's funny.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. So yeah, man. So you watched MacGyver before Monday Night Football?
Scott: Yes. 100%. Okay. And it's funny we're even So now remember when the TV Guide was an actual publication you got
Jamie: in the mail? You mean it was actually like a paperback book?
Scott: It a paper. Yeah.
Jamie: Of course I knew. It would come like, yeah, in the mail.
Scott: In the mail.
Jamie: It's so ridiculous.
Scott: And then if you want that's how you figure out what was on TV for Yes. The whole
Jamie: 100%. Then Just like doggy or highlight stuff.
Scott: No doubt.
Jamie: You're like, I don't wanna miss like whatever.
Scott: Right. And then if you want to go to the see, like, the movies Yeah. If you didn't call the theater directly, you would look in the newspaper.
Jamie: In the newspaper.
Scott: Yeah. How things have How
Jamie: things have changed. Remember the movie phone? Oh. Welcome to movie phone.
Scott: Hello and welcome to movie phone. I had a friend. I still have a friend. Shout out Chris Rudolph. And he used to work front desk at he was like the front desk manager at Maritime Hotel in the city for for years and Okay. Like, you know, later on in the evening, you know, people would come back and they'd have like a few things to drink or whatever. It was like a younger, funner crowd. And had to see some guest came up to me. He's like, hey, me and my wife or whatever, we want to go to the movies. And he's like, can you get me some showtimes? My buddy's like, sure.
Jamie: Was that a long time ago? Oh, yeah.
Scott: I mean, this must be like at least ten
Jamie: years ago.
Scott: But it was well after movie phone anyway. So he would look at his computer and he'd get up the showtimes, and then he'd look at the person and be like, do you want me to do it in The Voice? And the guy would be
Jamie: like, that's awesome.
Scott: He'd be like, what? My friend He did the movie phone like, do you want me to do it with a voice? And the guy was like, what? He goes, hello, and welcome to movie phone brought to you by z one hundred.
Jamie: That's very funny. He could do it. He did movie phone voice. He could do it well?
Scott: Well, I mean, it was just more like
Jamie: Oh, you think it Yeah. Yeah. That's funny. That's actually very funny. Yeah. Do you remember what you used to call that though?
Scott: Absolutely.
Jamie: I mean, that was like how you found times.
Scott: Yeah. Right? You know what's interesting? For some reason, I think You
Jamie: can drive by and see the marquee. That's how you
Scott: found I feel like I have more memories of looking at the newspaper than I do. Because, like, the newspaper still published it even when Movie Phone was out. Yes. So it's not like Yes. It did. It's not like all of sudden the newspapers stopped using it. I I mean, I used Movie Phone, but I don't remember
Jamie: Let me let me ask you a question. Is does the newspaper still publish Movie Times?
Scott: I have no idea.
Jamie: I haven't looked at the newspaper in a long time.
Scott: Yeah. No. I have I have no idea. Zero idea.
Jamie: I have to tell you. I have clients, older clients, who are, like, you know, in their eighties that that's that are so bent out of shape that the newspaper is not a thing anymore. Or it is. It's just online. A lot of publications are stopping sending it. Right? The major ones are there. But there's a lot local papers that don't exist anymore. Yeah.
Scott: No, I know. No, lost my train of thought.
Jamie: There's a couple in New Jersey that don't exist anymore.
Scott: There's also a big deal when The Times went from all black and white to color.
Jamie: When was that?
Scott: I think we were in high school.
Jamie: Oh, interesting. Oh, that's
Scott: interesting. That was a big deal.
Jamie: A lot has changed since we were high school.
Scott: A lot of those newspaper purists only want it in black and white.
Jamie: They do, by the way. It's true. Yeah. A lot of stuff has changed. It's it's listen. That's what happens.
Scott: Now listen. Here here. Look. What's black and white and red all over?
Jamie: I was going to say a newspaper.
Scott: Yeah, you're right. Right.
Jamie: That's an old,
Scott: old show.
Jamie: Yeah, yeah. That's a one. An oldie but a
Scott: goodie. Okay, so just to finish up with our sponsors. API. API. Okay, yes. Also the time, just like hockeytraining.com and your off ice training, off season training, now is also the time for coaches and managers to start looking out for video analytics for their team next year. So if any of you are are looking for that to onboard that with your team or looking for a different program, check out Athletic Performance Insight. If you go to their website athleticperformanceinsight.com, click on the contact form, reach out to Eric. He'd be more than happy to give you a demo of the platform, as well as break a break down the game for free. So you guys can take a look at what you get on the other end. And what you're gonna find is, you know, team analytics, individual stats, team stats, you know, video footage broken down and categorized by all different types of, you know, in game situations such as power play, penalty kill, zone exit, zone entries, you name it. They got it. You can hold up to three different camera angles, which is great. Can Awesome. You can have the center ice and a goalie cam from each end. So anyway, check out athleticperformanceinsight.com.
Jamie: $100 value.
Scott: Yep. Mention Crazy Hockey Dads,
Jamie: 10 So you percent have not froze yet?
Scott: No. It's because I'm using the right cable. Nice. Yeah. It only took two times of
Jamie: getting Hey, listen. It happens.
Scott: You know, but having a plethora of white cables around.
Jamie: Effie. Do you know what it means to have a plethora?
Scott: So funny.
Jamie: And the prune at the hedges. It's my favorite line all time.
Scott: Yeah. Well, you do it well.
Jamie: Of many smaller villages.
Scott: Maybe you do it terribly. I just think it's funny.
Jamie: You'll be using your dick for a pencil. What does that mean? I don't know. There's so many good ones. Like when he's when when Steve Martin's chained to the wall and he's moving forward, he's like, gonna make it? Gonna make it? And the weights are going up as he's like stepping toward it. And then he goes flying back to no, no, no. I'm sorry. Before that, when they chain him to the wall and he's like this, like arms and legs shackled to the wall, he's like, so I'll just wait here then? Dude, why wasn't Steve Martin on that list, by
Scott: the way? That's fair. He's in a lot of games. The jerk? Oh, very funny.
Jamie: I mean, like, so good. I mean, so, so good. There's so many good ones. But I feel like there's there's not that many guys today that I feel like there were a lot of them back then.
Scott: There's there's a right. There was there's less.
Jamie: Right?
Scott: High end comed high end is maybe the wrong way of putting it, but, like
Jamie: Like, yeah. I see what you say.
Scott: No. Notable comedic actors.
Jamie: Right. Like, that was that was Martin Short
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: Chevy Chase, and Steve Martin in the same movie. Right. Like, so you and then I guess the Ghostbusters, had, like Bill Murray, Dan Ackroy. Right? The other two were nice. What's his name? The director of everything, know, like Caddyshack and something. But like
Scott: not like There's also John Candy.
Jamie: John Candy was funny. Right? Like like, I feel like you don't have, like, Will Ferrell, Jim Carrey. Like, I feel like you like, who's the guy today?
Scott: Maybe people maybe just like
Jamie: Like, theater.
Scott: The consumption of, like, maybe comedy is just consumed differently and not like from Maybe. I mean, you have so many of these, like, streaming services that have all of their, like, comedy specials. Used to be like, HBO stuff. Like, every I don't know. Anyway
Jamie: Strange, though. Like, all those that all the guys that we just rattled off, like, they they I feel like they don't have, like you said, a plethora of guys like that these days.
Scott: It's definitely not a deep bench.
Jamie: No. There's not. It's unfortunate. But but Anyhow. So so the hockey season is over. Oh, well, NHL is basically over for us because the Devils are out. Yeah. But but playoffs starting tonight, actually.
Scott: Let's go.
Jamie: Have you seen the Utah speaking of playoff teams, the Utah Mammoths?
Scott: Zamboni? Yes.
Jamie: Yes. Tell me it's not fucking awesome.
Scott: It's very awesome. Dude. I was I thought, like, wow. So cool. How is it not gonna run it? Like, break its
Jamie: It's snout? Or it's tusks? Trunks. Trunks. Tusks? Trunks. Trunk is not bad. The tusks are what's out. Right. Yeah. Mean, tusks are like I'm looking at a picture of it. Tusks are out there.
Scott: But it's pretty legit.
Jamie: Dude, how cool is that? Why aren't the Panthers like that? Why I mean, the lightning is kinda tough. I guess you could I guess you could drive a cloud around with, like, lightning. I guess certain teams will be able
Scott: to do it. Or you could just make it, like, light up like lightning.
Jamie: There you go. Boom. In my opinion, I think all the NHL teams need to go to a Zamboni like that.
RJ: You know
Jamie: what? Talk about fan interactive. Right. Right?
Scott: Well, it's funny they yeah. They I'm sure more will do it. Because look, I know just all the I'm sure all the teams do it, but there's different fan experiences that you can pay for. One of them is like, you can pay to ride the Zamboni.
Jamie: You can. And that's the Zamboni I want to ride. I don't want to ride a boring Zamboni. I want to ride that one.
Scott: No
Jamie: way. Mean, that's I'm looking dude, it's it's how long have you known about it?
Scott: I saw it. I I don't
Jamie: know. Recently?
Scott: This past week or
Jamie: Oh, it's Oh, same thing.
Scott: So you saw it Within the last seven to ten days, I saw it for the first time.
Jamie: So cool.
Scott: I know.
Jamie: Very cool. Yeah. Like I said, all NHL teams, hope, are going to move in that direction.
Scott: Yo. So playoffs Yeah. What do you
Jamie: Should we do first round? We can. We were so bad that last year. For you guys that were around with us last year, we were so bad at it.
Scott: Alright. Let's do it quickly.
Jamie: We'll do it quickly. Can you
RJ: put up
Jamie: on your thing? Just because Jamie, pull it up. No. No. That's not gonna because my computer's gonna
Scott: Okay. Well, that's
Jamie: That's a legit reason?
Scott: Sure.
Jamie: Yeah. We'll do the first round. How's that sound?
Scott: Okay. Ready? Alright. Oh, hello.
Jamie: Oh, that's us.
Scott: That's hey, everybody. There we
Jamie: go. Okay.
Scott: Okay. Here we go. Alright. Here we go. I agree to that.
Jamie: And we definitely oh, yeah. Oh, yeah. Here we go.
Scott: Okay. Oh, let's close that. Thank you, pop up ads.
Jamie: Alright. So alright. So here are our first round picks Yes. That are start that's starting tonight. So it's perfect. So you wanna start east? Where where do wanna start?
Scott: Start east. Start east.
Jamie: Okay. The surprising Buffalo Sabres Yes. Shocking, but impressive Yes. You know, are playing the Boston Bruins. Where are you at?
Scott: Boston.
Jamie: Are you really?
Scott: Yep. I'm gonna go Boston.
Jamie: I'm gonna go with Buffalo. I I don't know. I've been saying that they are that that it's not gonna happen all year, so I I can't say it anymore.
Scott: Okay. I have to. I'm going Boston.
Jamie: Okay. Lightning and the Canadians?
Scott: This one pains me a lot.
Jamie: I know what you're I know.
Scott: It pains me a lot. Yeah. But you know what? I'm gonna go with my heart on this one. Montreal.
Jamie: Same. I want to see Montreal win.
Scott: I just.
Jamie: Such a good job.
Scott: That that that that's my my head says something else, I'm sticking with my heart.
Jamie: Your head says lightning, doesn't it?
Scott: Of course.
Jamie: I know. I get it, man. Because the goaltending
Scott: Yeah. And
Jamie: I get it. Like But I'm with you. I want the Montreal Canadiens. Good. Do Cole Caulfield's on an absolute tear?
Scott: So is Suzuki, dude.
Jamie: Good point. Very good point. They are on a tear
Scott: right They're good. I think the goaltending piece is going to be A problem. Yeah. Could be the differentiator.
Jamie: I think you might be right.
Scott: Okay.
Jamie: Good. Brady Kochuck against the wagon normally of the East.
Scott: So listen, I'm sticking with the year of surprises. I'm going with Ottawa on this one.
Jamie: So I did that last year, and I was wrong. I wanted Brady so again, I want Brady and Ottawa to win, but I'm going to go with the Carolina.
Scott: You got Carolina?
Jamie: I should have gone with Carolina last year. I didn't. I went with what I wanted, which was Ottawa, and I was wrong.
Scott: So I'm going go with Carolina. Okay. Pittsburgh, Philly.
Jamie: I I like Sidney Kruse. I just have to go to Pittsburgh.
Scott: That's like you can't
Jamie: I mean, the guy's
Scott: fucking So rock I'm with Pittsburgh also. You are. A 100%.
Jamie: Plus I can't root for Philly.
Scott: No. I can't do that. No. The only time
Jamie: I just can't do it.
Scott: I do have an Eric Lindross jersey.
Jamie: But normally I would say I can't root for Boston either, is why I didn't, which is why I went Buffalo instead.
RJ: Okay.
Scott: Yeah. That's fine.
Jamie: Yeah. Although I love the city of Boston. Although I love the city of Philly too. I'm not so sure I love their sports teams, I like the cities themselves. Well.
Scott: Yeah. Okay.
Jamie: Yeah. All right, fire away.
Scott: Avalanche Kings. Avalanche. Yeah. Like not even. Not even.
Jamie: I don't think it's gonna be a series.
Scott: This one. Yeah. This one, my friend. Dallas, Minnesota.
Jamie: This may be your may be your best series on here. Mean, this is gonna be like I feel like it's gonna be like game like, seven games.
Scott: This the yeah.
Jamie: Is it is it if first round is five games? No. Seven?
Scott: They're all seven games.
Jamie: Okay. Alright. So so I'm gonna go with Minnesota.
Scott: I'm gonna go with Dallas.
Jamie: That's it's gonna be a series, man. I'm actually very curious.
Scott: Yeah. My my heart, I would I would rather see Minnesota go through.
Jamie: Right. But you think Dallas is gonna But I
Scott: think Dallas is
Jamie: gonna Okay. Fair.
Scott: Okay.
Jamie: Who we were just talking about, the best Zamboni in the league, the Mammoth against the Edmonton Oilers.
Scott: Yeah. That Zamboni is gonna only get a few laps, and then it's retired.
Jamie: I think you're right. So you think the weather's coming?
Scott: Definitely. I do too. A 100%.
Jamie: This is going be a fun series too, by the way. Because again, you have a very young Ducks team going up against a very good Vegas team. Where you
Scott: at? Vegas.
Jamie: So I picked Vegas last year and I got smoked. I wanna pick Vegas, but
Scott: You're going Ducks?
Jamie: I think so. I think so.
Scott: Flying V.
Jamie: I was a big Timu Solani fan when I was younger, so I think I'm gonna have to go with the Ducks. Flying V. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Paul Korea, Timu Solani. Exactly, the Flying V. And the movie's great.
Scott: Yeah, Goldberg.
Jamie: It's hard to go wrong.
Scott: Goldberg fell in some rough times that kid. Did he? I think he's one of those child actors that's now strung out
Jamie: in line. Is that right? Think so. Does anybody on the Anaheim Ducks have a knucklepuck like Fulton Reed had from
Scott: the No. Only Fulton Reed has a knucklepuck. Yeah.
Jamie: Has a knucklepuck. Well, I'm going go with the ducks.
Scott: Okay.
Jamie: Yeah. The ducks and the knuckle puck.
Scott: So alright. Great.
Jamie: That's where I'm at.
Scott: So are we doing so you wanna keep
Jamie: Or should we just do or should we do round two next? Could we do round two when it comes?
Scott: Yeah. Fine. That's fine.
Jamie: Wanna do that?
Scott: Yeah. Let's
Jamie: just So those are those are our those are our round one picks. Yeah. Yeah. It's gonna be fun though. It's gonna be fun to watch.
Scott: All
Jamie: right. That's for sure.
Scott: Know? But just one last thing on this. I pick Colorado to win the whole thing. Do you remember who you picked to win the whole thing?
Jamie: I didn't pick anybody to win the whole thing yet.
Scott: No. We did it earlier? No. We did it earlier in the season.
Jamie: Did we?
Scott: I think you also said Colorado.
Jamie: Yeah. I think Colorado's gonna win.
Scott: Is that what yeah. You still feel
Jamie: If I said that, yes. I'm gonna stick with it. Because I mean, just looking at everybody on here now, I probably said Florida Panthers, to be honest with you.
Scott: Florida, Toronto,
Jamie: and the Eastern Conference Since they don't exist right now, I probably said the Panthers for a three peat. Now now that I'm thinking about it, I think I did.
Scott: Oh, really?
Jamie: Clearly, you see how good my picks are. Yeah. I would think just by looking at everybody, I would think that the Colorado Avalanche would wind up winning the whole thing.
Scott: Okay.
Jamie: I mean, I I don't like the Oilers. I know they're good. I don't like the Oilers. I wouldn't mind seeing Minnesota. Do think Minnesota's gonna knock off the Avalanche? That second round that second round between the Avalanche, it would be Avalanche Stars or Avalanche Minnesota. That would be nasty too. Yeah. Like, that could be frightening. Dude. Like, that's scary.
Scott: Yeah. No. It's gonna be awful.
Jamie: Scary second round, you know, playoff matchup. I think the Oilers are gonna kind of stream through to the
Scott: The finals? The conference finals? I do.
Jamie: Yeah. I do. Just by just by looking at this. Sure. I would love a Avalanche. I think what you're going to get maybe I'm wrong, but I think you're going get an Avalanche.
Scott: Edmonton?
Jamie: No. I think you're gonna get an Avalanche Carolina
Scott: Oh, final? Final. Oh.
Jamie: Yeah. That's my feeling. Okay. Unless Sydney's got something to say about that, which I hope he does because I I like Crosby. We're gonna find out. It's gonna be fun, man.
Scott: Alright, dude. So who's up next?
Jamie: Are you
Scott: new? Burns.
Jamie: We have RJ Burns from Topline.
Scott: Yeah. And who's Topline?
Jamie: So Topline is a a local skills company that is it was started in in the New Jersey area. They have a rink across the border in New York that they work out of. They work out of the city. They work out of they work out of everywhere.
Scott: Multiple rinks.
Jamie: Yeah. They're all over
Scott: the place now.
Jamie: But they have a gym and a rink up in Newburgh. That's where Dominic skates with RJ with our with our our interview today. And, but RJ's all over the place. He's in Jersey. He's in New York. They're all over the place. Justin Boo, they're all
RJ: of them.
Jamie: Yeah. Connor, they're all over place. They're they're great. They all played, you know, a lot of them played were drafted into the NHL. All of them played D1 hockey. So they're a bunch of skills guys that put a business together. And they're the real deal.
Scott: Yeah. They're training super elite.
Jamie: Really good training.
Scott: Players in the area. They got great coaching. And couldn't speak more highly of them.
Jamie: They're great. Oh, man.
Scott: Yeah, it great talking to RJ. RJ is fun. Great to get to know him a little more, especially from his coaching philosophy side of things. He cares a lot about the kids. And that sounds like the relationship building piece. Yeah. When we were speaking with him, it just seemed to be like, yeah, consistency with the same person who cares that's gonna see a kid over time. What a great tool for a kid if they're if they have someone like that on their side.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. No. They're they're great. RG was great. You know, it's it's good that, you know, they they can speak to what it takes to play, like, you know, serious D1 hockey. You know? I mean, RJ was West Point. Justin and Boo were Michigan. I forgot where Connor played. But the rest of the guy and even the rest of guys on their staff, they all played, like, heavy duty, like, D1 hockey. Totally. You know? So they they can you know, if they're training a kid, they can you know, they know what it takes to get there if that's what you're looking to do. Yeah. So they were they were great. Yeah. Don't know where Connor played. Where did he play? Are you looking it up?
Scott: Maine.
Jamie: Oh, Maine. There you go. Nice. Pat Shea. Yep. Nice.
Scott: When did they play together?
Jamie: I think Connor is older than him. Am I wrong?
Scott: I don't know.
Jamie: Maybe. I think Pat's 27. Yeah. There's, like, six year difference.
Scott: Oh, yeah?
Jamie: Yeah. I think so. But, but yeah. Yeah. So so we have we have RJ on. I thought RJ was great. You know, listen, I I'm a little biased, you know, because Dominic's been working with him for years. But am I right? They play together or they they miss each other? Petsche and Connor. They miss each other, right?
Scott: 1617 was
Jamie: 1617 was Patchet's first year in Maine. Those of you who if don't know Patchet, just go back and listen a couple episodes ago. Patchet
Scott: Yeah. Miss each other.
Jamie: They miss each other by two years. Yeah. Yeah. Pat Shea is a, now, creator of comedy, and and and an actor, but he played at the University of Maine, was drafted by the Florida Panthers. He was a couple episodes ago. He he created the full ride on YouTube. If you have not seen the full ride on YouTube, I highly recommend you go watch it because it's very funny. And he takes a lot of things that happened to him Yeah. When he was in his playing days and kind of spoofs on them.
Scott: Yeah. We should post a clip.
Jamie: We should post a clip. His stuff is oh, a a full ride.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: We should actually. We should post a trailer.
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: Yeah. That'd be a good idea. But yeah. So top line's great. The training's great. The off ice, the on ice. Like I said, I'm I'm a little biased because Dom's been with RJ for a long time and Tom's worked with Boo and Justin. So we're a little biased being in New Jersey. But if you're in New Jersey, look up top line. They have some
RJ: Or New
Scott: York too.
Jamie: Or New that's true. Or New York too.
Scott: Downstate New York State?
Jamie: Yeah. You're right. You know, they're
Scott: New York City?
Jamie: Yeah. So they're all over our area. So for those of you who are in our area, I'm sure all of you know Topline. So, yeah. So we have, RJ Burns from Topline.
Scott: Alright. Let's kick it over. Here we go. Alright.
Jamie: Alright. You boys ready?
Scott: Go for it. Go for
RJ: it, dude. So RJ Burns, part owner of Topline Hockey, and Topline Hockey is basically just one stop shop for hockey. We do off ice. We do on ice, camps, clinics. And our main goal is kinda just, like, really emphasize coaching. Right? I like there's a ton of skills coaches out there, and from most of the time, it's just like, hey, go around this cone and get your reps in, and that's a that's a skill session. But growing up around here and, like, you know, playing with some really good players and then having the opportunity to have some good coaches, like, kids are curious. So I think, like, where we kind of step in is more of, like, ask them questions, like, kind of riff off of what they know. Like, kids are pretty smart, so, like, they know what they wanna do. They they watch the game. Like, we're trying more to, you know, get them thinking. Like, hockey's not just like go around a cone. It's that cone's gonna be moving. So how do we how do we play the game when that cone is moving, and how do we think through that? Because we don't actually know what's gonna happen, so we have to be able to read and react on top of like a foundation that we build kind of in our practice. Right. I mean, that's basically what we do, and I couldn't ask for a better job, honestly.
Jamie: Nice. You guys for a living.
Scott: I know. And you guys have I mean, it's been years now. Like that, I get. But just like, you know, it just seems like you guys have just exploded. I mean, just like with different locations and the camps and everything. Just congrats on all the success, man.
RJ: Yeah. No. Much appreciated. I mean, I got I it's it's not it's easy when we have a good team. Like, we have a good set of, like, core guys and core coaches, and everyone kinda pulls their rate their, like, their weight. Like, that old saying, like, everybody rope, everybody rides. You know? So Yeah. It's like sometimes, you know, you get a little little, like, mid season, like, bag in and, like, all of a sudden, you're like, oh, this guy's still pushing, and it kinda pushes you. And at the end of the day, it's for the kids. Like, we all wanted to be, like, the coach that we didn't have or, like, you know, like, some of the sessions are, like, hockey's so serious. And it's like, dude, like, we're practicing. We're trying to have fun. Like, I don't need you, like, squeezing your stick as hard as you can the whole entire time. And then, like, we get nothing out of this, and you think I'm yelling at you, like, stuff like that. So
Jamie: it's a crazy journey and
RJ: a lot more to go, you know?
Jamie: Yeah. Sounds like you're talking about Dominic.
RJ: No. Nothing will ever nothing here is directed at Dominic.
Jamie: No, it just sounds like him to a tee.
RJ: No, but I mean, he's he's a great example of it, right? You know, like, he is he is a kid that kinda like starts to squeeze his stick a little too tight and take a take things a little too serious, and like, dude, you're freaking 13. Like, it's okay. Like, you're gonna make mistakes, and that's gonna translate not to just hockey, but to, like, later on in life. And, you know, hockey's gonna end at one day, and you gotta, like, yeah, you wanna build a good athlete, but you also wanna build, like, a good person that can, like, think and, like, make decisions.
Jamie: Yep. I I couldn't agree with you more.
Scott: So so what you said I just thought was so interesting. Like, you all want to be the coach you never had. You know? And it just got me, you know, like and I I want thinking and want to talk to you about, like, you know, when you were growing up, you know, and that's you know, we usually touch upon that with all of our guests. Just like, what was your hockey journey, you know, and, like, at home, on the ice for you personally? Like, did you have, like, coaches that that you loved? Coaches, you know, like and what were they like versus coaches that that you didn't like, and and what was that all about?
RJ: Yeah. So, I mean, I had a, I guess, a pretty standard journey. Like, I was able to play on some pretty, like, really some pretty good teams, and, you know, I was on the Saints for a couple years with with my partner, Justin Selman. Then, you know, that team during squirts, like, we won a championship, and then it was like, alright. Where's everyone going? And, like, all of a sudden, like, I'm ending up in Long Island playing for the Royals, which is like No. That's like an hour and a half, two hour journey, like, three two, three days a week, and, you know, that took a takes a big toll on a kid and and on parents too.
Scott: So, like Yeah.
RJ: Me and my dad started fighting a little more. And then after that, I ended on the avalanche for a couple years and then the hitmen. So I kinda jumped around and, like like, God rest my dad's soul, but, like, he was he was doing everything the like, what he thought was right for me. Yeah. But at the same time, like, I look at it and, like, my first advice to people is, like, is jumping ship the right thing to do? Like, because you don't wanna just put it in a kid's head like, oh, things are going wrong or they're not going the way we do. Let's just get the hell out of here rather than, like, hey, maybe we stay here another year and, like, fight through some adversity. Like, I that even when I was little, was like, dude, should we really be going all, like, all over the place? But I get what he was doing now, but very good learning experience looking back
Jamie: was at he was trying. He was trying that. But you're right. It it's funny that we we and we talk about that all the time, RJ. Like, what's the smart thing to do? Is a smart thing to kinda, like, stay and persevere and kinda pound through any uncomfortableness or any any discomfort leave for, like, greener or what people think are greener pastures. Right?
RJ: Yeah. You know, there's no crystal ball. You know? So, like and hindsight's always twenty twenty. And they're like so there's there's no right or wrong answer, but I think it might have been you guys or heard it somewhere else, but, like, you got like, people need to ask the coaches more questions. Like, how is my kid gonna develop? Like, what happens if he's playing bad? Are you just gonna bench him and not talk to him for the rest of the season? Like and then he's just gonna be like, what the hell is going on the whole time? Like like I said before, these kids are smarter than we think they are. We don't give them enough credit sometimes. Like, they see everything, they notice what's going on, like but they're not, like, they're not mature enough to be like, hey, have to go talk to the coach. And like, that's also very, very scary to do. Like, know, I've had to do that a couple times, and you don't wanna do it. Like
Jamie: That's true.
Scott: I mean, that's what I would that's what I would tell tell my son, like, even even when I was coaching him, you know, and like, as his dad, like, he he's only gonna listen to me so much. But I would say, hey, go talk to the other coaches. Ask them what you can do
Jamie: Yeah.
Scott: Differently to become a better player. Yeah. You know? Like and and he's in he's also been the recipient of, like, a coach where, like, you know, for for whatever reason, like, he would get the short end of the stick. And we were making a big commute down to Woodbridge from here after we left the Avs. And I was like, you know, it was it was three days a week. There was always it was always a double session. It was either, like, dry land or, like, you know, video review after practice three days a week. And, you know, my son, he he the coach the coach had his favorites, and, you know, he would and it was just, like, not a great situation. I would say, listen. I I know you're not happy. Mean, quite frankly, I'm not happy either. I didn't tell that to him. I'm like, but listen. Go ask the coach what you can do to earn his trust. Go ask the coach. What can I do differently to get to get more ice time? And, you know, it's it's not easy for the kids, but I think more parents should try to encourage their kids to do that because it like you said earlier, as a skills coach and at top line, you wanna build good people. I mean, those those are life skills that are gonna serve them well for a long time. You know?
RJ: Yeah. A 100%. I mean, people like, and even like, sometimes I relate it to parents, like, to like, you don't wanna go have a hard conversation with your boss, or like, you don't like when your boss is micromanaging you. Like, you kinda gotta hold back on the kid, but like, hold him accountable, but like, let him be his own person. Let him be his old man. And, like, kinda, like, you learn your lessons from there. And, you know, like, as as you got older in hockey, like, that pool gets way, way, like, smaller each year, and you're playing against the same kids. You're you're seeing the same coaches, but, like, a simple question, like, hey, coach, this summer, what can I do to get a little better? Or, hey, coach, I I thought I did really well at practice. Why am I not playing here? Or, like, what do you see? Because, I mean, the coaches have the same thoughts too. Like, I don't think a lot of them wanna have those hard conversations either. So it's kinda just easier to be like, oh, I'm just gonna sit them and not really talk to them. But that's also that's never works out well either. So it's it's double edged sword, you know? Right.
Scott: But you get you get coaches that get reputations, and I think, you know, we've talked about it also. But you're like, oh, that coach, great coach, but not not good for young kids. Or, like, a guy coach that's coaching older gives in, like, yeah, just not coaching the or the the personality is not good for the age.
RJ: Yeah. You know, the
Scott: age of men. Think, James, didn't you have a situation just like the way one of the coaches would, like, talk to the kids at young ages?
Jamie: We did. When we were when we were doing, like, some Brick series stuff. Yeah. It was he he was he was a he was a good coach, but he probably was meant for older kids. You know, he just got stuck with twelves at the time. And at the time, they were, like, 10. You know? Because they were 2000 twelves, so they were 10 or maybe nine. It it was young. You know? And he could tell he was a coach for older kids. You know? Just, you know, had I don't know if he had a tough time relating to the younger kids, but just had the demeanor, and his demeanor was better, you know, RJ, for, like, for, you know, for the older kids. Like, you know, the older kids would relate more to what he was saying.
RJ: Yeah. A 100%. I mean, I get that. I see that all the time, which is what we do in top line, you know? But and just skills coaches in general, like, in and in my opinion, like, I think all coaches, like, unless you're like, whatever, college or NHL like guy,
Scott: like Right.
RJ: Start at a younger age, and like, cause it's harder. Actually You have to have to coach, you have to teach, you have to watch what you say, and in my, like, in my opinion, it makes you a better coach, like, down the road, when you get to, like, the experience of coaching older kids, and kids that like because I don't know. It is it it's tough, like, right? I I don't necessarily wanna coach, like, a kid that can't skate or can't, like, tie his skates or even, like, he's missing an elbow pad before he gets on the ice. But then I learn patience, then I learn what he needs
Jamie: Yeah.
RJ: That are from me to help him. And then but if I train a kid that's going into the the USHL next year, like, it's a totally different session, you know? Like, we're kinda just like, shoot the shit. Can I curse on this? Sorry.
Jamie: Yeah, you can. 100%. Yeah. Where you wear explicit. Yeah. Yeah, you For sure, you can.
RJ: And like, you know, like, I'm just correcting like a little bit of this, but there's also guys, like, that can almost teach me what to do at that age, you know? Like I think, like, some of these guys need to kind like and I've had the same issue. Like, it's it's kind of an ego thing with some of the coaches, you know? Like, you just gotta drop it. Like, it's not about you. It's not about how many wins you have at freaking u 10 quadruple a. Right? Like half that team is not even gonna play college hockey, like, and probably more. Like, what are Yep. You what are we trying to do? Like, are we just trying to win games so you can be go to the bar and be like, hey, bud, I just won the AAA championship.
Scott: Both of Yeah.
RJ: And that's not even what those kids remember. Right? They don't remember that. Remember the times in the locker room, the times in the hotel, like, the trips with the parents, like,
Jamie: hanging out with their buddies in hotels Yeah. Bouncing around, going to restaurants in, like, Pennsylvania or Chicago or wherever they are for a tournament.
RJ: Yeah. You know? Yeah. I think that gets kinda put by the wayside sometimes just for, I play AAA, and Mhmm. I need to go to Quebec, and I need to do this. Like, yeah, it's great and all, but is that your path? Is that the best path financially for your family? Like, I think hockey can be like the best game and the best thing for families in the world, or on the other end of the special The worst. Like, you could, like I you could see kids when they come out, it's like, dude, like, are you just being forced to be here? Like, I get that, but, like, let's work. Like, we're gonna be here. We'll have some fun, but work in between that too. Like, learn to play the game and learn to love the game. It's not just like, go, go, go, go, go all the time.
Jamie: It's hard, man. It's hard. And some of the parents, you know, put a ton of pressure on their kids. I'm sure you see it all the time. You know? It's it's it's a real thing, RJ. It's you know, you have you see like, I don't even tell you. You see it. You see it all the time. You have parents from the top to the bottom of the spectrum. Right? You're right. You you could tell the kid that's not happy, the kid that doesn't wanna be there. I mean, it's it's Yeah.
RJ: It's obvious. Because the game is awesome. Like, there's so many lessons to be learned. There's so much fun to be had, but then it's Jesus, this stinks, dude. Like, I don't wanna be here. Then then you start to make mistakes out there, and then it becomes even worse.
Jamie: It just spirals downhill.
RJ: Yeah. A 100%.
Jamie: So you're, you know, you've been a skills coach for a while now, but now you're actually also on the bench too, aren't you? Are you coaching coaching?
RJ: A little bit. Like, that, I run the practices mainly. I'll I'll hop on games here and there.
Jamie: Okay.
RJ: Totally different animal.
Jamie: I was just gonna ask you what you think of it.
RJ: One, just stopping playing. I never knew how much I would actually love coaching.
Jamie: Really?
RJ: Yeah. Like, honestly, like, I love coaching more than I, like, ever love playing. Like, it's totally different. It's I it, like, brings me the energy every like, every day that, like,
Jamie: I had
RJ: when I was little and hockey was awesome. Because, like, for me, hockey became a job way too quickly. You know, like, oh, this is what I have to do, not what I get to do. You know? And, like, I was fortunate enough to, like, work through that and be able to play division one hockey for a little bit and d three hockey and minor pro in Sweden and stuff, but it was always kinda just, like, a little bit forced. Like, the coaching, once I, like, stopped well, I stopped playing, and then I, like my bag was collecting dust in a freaking closet for a few years. Like, I was like, dude, Right. This is Yeah. And you know, fortunate enough to just get back with Justin and Connor and Boo and start that up and just realize, like, Jesus, dude, this is, like, what I wanna do and, like, kinda feel like that purpose, you know, like, and not just identify myself as I'm a hockey player at 26 years old or however old I was, which I think is another thing, like, like, these kids just are like, I'm a hockey player. I'm a hockey player, which is great, but, like, you can't your whole life can't revolve around that. Because when you get into the real world, like, you're like, dude, these guys aren't hockey players. I don't even know what to talk to them about. Like
Scott: And let me ask a question. But do do you see that a lot? Because I I I know certainly, Topline's got a fantastic reputation, and I apologize if you guys already touched upon something like this. No. By the way. I I know you guys are involved with a lot of, like, elite high end players, you know, and that's amazing. But do you do you come across, like, parents and families where you can tell, like, this is the kid like, this is their whole life? Like, is is that become, like, obvious? And, like, is that ever do kids ever talk to you about that part of their hockey journey?
RJ: I think I think for the most part, you can kinda see it in a body language when either when they're walking in the rink or just getting on the ice, like, or just, like, even just saying hello. You know, like, some kids, like, head is down, their body language is bad. I'm like, oh, man. Like, he's either having a tough day or, like, he just doesn't wanna be here. One of the two. But, I mean Tough. It's also weird today because, like, some of these kids are at hockey academies, so it's like Right. There's just hockey all the time. And then, like, we see them on Friday or whenever we skate with them, and, you know, they're at each other's throats. And, like, it's hard to tell. It's sometimes, but you can see it more in the parent where if the parent's around and the kid's demeanor kinda changes at the session, where it's like, oh, dude, he's just on the glass the whole time. Like, one of these, like, what does that mean? Moving, sweet, like,
Scott: sweet. Right.
RJ: Like, why are you paying us if you want if you're gonna do this? Like, I mean, but for the like I said, like, if I start to see that or I feel that, I'll either tell the parents, like, dude, like, he might need some time off. Like, time away from the rank is not a bad Like, the season just ended. Give him a three, four, two months off. Like, let him play another sport. It's probably better for him, honestly. Then you'll see if he really wants to play or not, because he's either gonna come back to you in a couple weeks and be like, hey, wanna get on the ice, or you're never gonna talk about it again. You know what mean? Right. Like, it's like, it is hard to tell, but there are some people where I'm like, dude, like, he needs some time and, like, you guys need some time too.
Jamie: Right. The parents yeah.
RJ: Yeah. But that's another aspect of it that just like, oh, you're not coming to the summer showcase, all nine weeks of summer? Like, what do you what else are you gonna be doing? Like, I don't know. Like, saving money and, like, living a life? Like Right. At the at the other end, if the kid wants to do that and he's having fun, then, like, all for it, you know? But especially if if you can handle it financially.
Jamie: Yeah. It's funny. That's what Jim Dowd said last night, actually. He's like, listen. He's like, there's no right or wrong answer. He's like, if the kid loves it and wants to be out there constantly, he's like, you can afford it. He's like, have at it. Yeah.
RJ: Because in in that way, it's not training anymore. Like, the kid's just out there having fun and playing hockey.
Jamie: Because he loves it.
RJ: Yeah. I think there's like Wayne Gretzky who's like, dude, I was just on the ice all the time because I liked it. Like, being there. Like, I wasn't, like, necessarily training per se, but almost how you get better. Right.
Jamie: Right. You know, it it's funny, RJ. It's funny you mentioned you said about the the parents being on the glass during, like, practice or, like, a skill session. Like, Scott and I have talked about this a bunch of times. I have not watched one of Dominic's practices in probably now, like, like, three and a half years. I don't go in there. I kinda giggle at the parents that do go in there. You know? Because I'm like, what are you doing? I'm like, leave the fucking kid alone. Like, why why do need to watch him practice? Like, I get it. It's cool, but, like, leave the fucking kid alone. I mean, Bryce Salvador said something years ago to me, and it always stuck. And he said that his o nine team that he was coaching years ago that his son was on, he's like, I saw the most development from my team during COVID because the parents could not come into the rink, right, during practice. They had to stay in the cars. He's like, I saw the most development when the parents were not in the building. Same thing.
RJ: I mean, I think that makes perfect sense, honestly. Like, same thing I said before. Like, what if your boss was over your shoulder all day during work, like watching what you're doing on the computer screen? Would you be productive, or you would be like, dude, like, get the hell out of here.
Jamie: Yeah, like, give me some space.
RJ: Yeah, like, I know what I'm doing, like, let me or let me figure it out. Like, I think that Yeah. Like, today, they just need more freedom. Like, because, I mean, I don't have kids, so I don't know if, like, these kids are going outside and playing, like, street hockey like we used to do. But, like, they need to have freedom to, like, just no pressure, have fun, and, like in terms of the skills thing, I think people go a little crazy on the skills coaching and the skills sessions, like because everything's structured. Hockey's not necessarily, like yeah, there's systems and there's positions, but it's not necessarily a whole structured game. You have to be able to read and react. You have to be able to think. And if you have, like, all that pressure on you during practice just from your dad watching you or your mom watching you and then being like, then you're just worried about what's gonna happen in the car later. You
Jamie: Yeah. You can't know? Even you're like a robot.
RJ: You're supposed to focus on. Yep.
Scott: So as as far as, like, you know, the overdoing it part, like like, broadly speaking, obviously, this is the business that that that you're in. But, like, you know, for maybe if you could, like, chop it up a little bit by, like, age group and, like, kind of, like, where you might see a sweet spot. And, again, every kid's different. We get that. Right? But, like, you know, if if you're looking at kids that are, like, I don't know, might squirt, like, Pee Wee Bantam and then above, like, in terms of, like, skill sessions on, like, a weekly basis, like like, what what, like, what do you where do you see maybe, like, the most development or or, like, what what do you seem to work works well for the kids?
RJ: Well, I think it depends on the kid too.
Scott: Of course.
RJ: You know, like, how mature they are at certain ages as well, and if they wanna do it or not wanna do it. Right. That definitely helps if you wanna be there and you wanna listen to me or not, whatever. But, like Sure. You know, there's definitely times where you're out there and it's like, hey, man, like, just, like, move your your hand down a little bit this way or try this, and it's just like a roll of the eyes, and it's like, all right, dude. And that, mind, I guess. Right. Right. Right. I mean, during the season, I think these kids are on the ice a lot. You know, whether it's practice or games, like, some of these kids are playing, like, NHL schedules, like, which is Yeah. Kind of nuts, but it is what it is.
Jamie: Playing, like, 70 games. Yeah.
RJ: It's crazy. And then they wonder why their, like, hips are shot at freaking 16. I
Jamie: was just gonna say that. You wonder why you're having hip flexor issues.
RJ: Yeah. I mean, I don't think again, there's no, like, sweet spot to it. If the kid wants to do it, he's having fun, and he's getting better, like, and you find good coaches, like, I would stick with that. Like it doesn't have to be every day. I think once a week, twice a week, once every two weeks at that age is fine if that coach is doing the right things. Like, at that at that age, like, my goal is, like, yeah, we're giving them a lot of information, but I'm also asking questions and making sure, like, that kid can almost, like, teach that skill back to me. Because what's what am I gonna do in an hour, and then he's just gonna forget about it for the rest of the week until he sees me next week? Like, that's like if you go to the gym once a week and you're like, why am I not losing weight? Like, it's because you're not doing it, or you're not, like Right. On the skill enough. So, like Right. In terms of that, like, it depends on financial situations. It depends on the kids want and might squirt once a week with a good coach, twice a week, maybe. Like, then as the season kinda gets closer, like, then start ramping it up and, you know, honing in on their skills. But I think once a week and, like, going to stick time with your buddies is or twice a week and stick time with your buddies, but you're working on the skills. Like, you're doing it deliberately, but having fun at the same time. That's where you'll see the most development. And then you're also not like, you and your kid aren't at each other's necks, like, oh, I gotta go here again. Like, they're like, I don't even like it. Like, and then you're spending a million dollars a year, you know?
Scott: Yeah. Yeah.
RJ: As they get older, like, a little more serious, like, I think you should be at least on the ice twice a
Jamie: week. Mhmm. And What age? What age do think that is?
RJ: I think as you get into, like was it like, bantams? Like, peewees, bantams. What's bantams like
Jamie: Midget. Midget.
RJ: Like, bantam, midget, I would say, like, that's where you should, like, kinda dial it in. Because Okay. If you're a good hockey player at that age, like, you know if you're gonna continue playing or not, for the most Like, getting into that, like, seven like, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen year group.
Jamie: Right.
RJ: Like, that's where, you know, like, you should be on a workout plan, not just going to the gym and be like, oh, I'm hitting legs today and not knowing what you're doing. And
Jamie: Right. Right.
RJ: Getting a coach that's deliberate about your skill development that, like, hey, we worked on this last week, how do you feel about it? Should we move on? Should we continue to develop it? Like, what are your strengths and weaknesses? Like, I think a lot of what falls through the cracks is just getting, like, asking questions. Like, yeah, I'm here to coach you, but I'm also here to see how you feel about it. Like, the way you shoot's gonna be a little different than how I shoot, or a little different than how freaking McDavid shoots, or how Ovefkin shoots, you know? Like but we can take that foundation and use it to help you, like, get better. But you see, like like, we train some NHL guys, and they come home, and they'll be like, hey, Burnsy, like, gonna take the next two, three weeks off, and then I'll jump on the ice once a week with you. But he's in the gym two, three times a probably more than that. But Right. And then as the season starts to get closer, then it's two, three times, four times a week before camp. Because I people forget, like, hockey's a hard game. And no matter how old you are, it takes a toll on your body. And you need to recover, and you need some time away from the game, like, at the end of the year to kinda just, like, refresh yourself and, like, recollect your thoughts and be like, hey, I wanna work on this, or this is where I wanna get to. No I guess that was just like a short way, or a long way of saying, no golden answer on that.
Jamie: Of course.
Scott: Yeah. That makes sense.
RJ: There's kids that are hungrier than others, and there's kids that are less hungry, and that's okay when you're young. That's okay. But like, when you start to develop, like, what goals you want and where you wanna go, I think just developing some sort of plan and sticking to that consistently Right. Will do wonders for a lot of kids. Especially on the ice. Like, no one like, I don't think a lot of people treat it like like, I'm starting to look at it more like the gym sessions. Like, you know, like, if I go to the gym, I have a a plan. I know what I wanna work on. I know what what my sets are. I know what my reps are. I know generally what my weight's gonna be. But, like and I used to do this too. Like, kids hop out on the ice, and it's just like, okay, what am I doing today? Like Yeah. Yeah. That's okay if you're just, like, at stick and puck and we're just effing around a little bit. But if you wanna, like, deliberately get better, I think you need to kinda, like, focus a little more, like and look at it as like a gym session. Like, okay, I'm gonna do skating for fifteen minutes. I'm gonna work on my inside edges, my outside edges, and like my quick starts. The next fifteen to twenty minutes, I'll start handling the puck a little bit, doing the same exact drill. The next fifteen minutes, I'll start shooting the puck. Like, more progression, rather than just being like, here's a cone, let me freaking toe drag this cone, and then spin a rama three sixty and miss the net by seven feet.
Scott: I've I've I've never seen that before.
RJ: Just Yeah, right? And it's awesome. I love the creativity, but, like, that's, like, percent of hockey. Like, if you watch an NHL game, it's moving the puck, it's catching pucks, it's catching bad passes. Mhmm. Yep. It's playing defense, it's back checking, like, you know, it's getting gritty in the corners, going to the net, and like I I feel like kids just kinda watch the the highlight reels on Instagram, and they're like, dude, this is the game. That's how I wanna play. But Yep. Exactly. As you get older, there's, like, a line of goal scorers. Right? Yep. And then everyone else has another role to play and fill. And if you wanna be on the ice, you you gotta fill that role. So you gotta be able to think. You gotta be able to play the game. Yep. Defense, offense, kill penalties, block shots, hit people, like, the other 90% of the game. Right.
Jamie: So it's funny. Speaking of that, so when you played at West Point, right, when you left high school, you went to West Point. Right?
RJ: So I I played juniors at the Hitmen, and then went to West Point.
Jamie: Oh, okay. Gotcha. So when when you were in juniors and when you went to West Point, what was your role? What what was because I'm assuming you were a goal scorer when you were younger. Right? As most
RJ: kids are. Yeah. I put up some good points when I was younger. As I got older, the points went down, but I was never scratched. I was always in the lineup because, like, at West Point, I, as a freshman, I played 20 games before I wound up getting a pretty bad concussion, but never sat. Never I was on the pretty much the first line every game just as a center because I would do the little things correctly, and I would work my ass off. Like, that was the one thing I always kind of prided myself on, was being a really good skater and being to do whatever that team needed me to do. Obviously, I'm not a fighter, but but like, I can I'll get in the corners with bigger guys. I'll hit, I'll block shots, I'll kill penalties, I'll sit in front of the net and get my ass beat, like and that's kinda how I got in the lineup. And in a way, that that makes you become kinda like the energy guy, you know? Like like, your team feeds off of that, and like how you are on the bench, how you are on the ice when things aren't going right. Like, I think people overlook how easy it is to be good when things are going good, but how hard it is to be good when things aren't going good. When you're down two goals in the third period, like, who are you gonna look to? Are you gonna look to the guy that's, like, slumped on the bench, or is like, yo, boys, let's go. We got time. We got time. Like, you wanna be that guy, and that's kind of who I was. Like so, like, even at Geneseo, like, I was I was fortunate enough to get a get a C on my jersey, and know, we won SUNYAC championships and, like, never put up a lot of points, but never was scratched. It was always in the lineup. And I just felt like, you know, like, a dependable player, and people could count on me, and you knew exactly what you were gonna get when I stepped on the ice.
Scott: Let me ask you a question, because I think a a lot of people or you we you hear in, like, either on the TV or other podcasts, whatever, people, like, players former players talking about doing the little things right. Know, what are the little things to you? And and just because I'm sure a lot of people are just like, when they hear that, they're just like, I don't even know what they're talking about. Or, you you know what I mean? But like, what are the little things?
RJ: So I think biggest thing is just the little thing is like, never let anyone know. Like, when you're on an when you're playing a game, you don't let someone know if you're having the best time of your like, not that way, but, like, if something's bothering you and, like, you just don't let it get under your skin. Like, you have another shift. You had like, you know, talk to your teammates about it. Just, like, play the game the right way, which is, like, if you need to finish a hit, finish a hit. If you need to get the puck out of the zone and take a hit, take a hit and get the puck out of the zone. You know, be f two getting to the net. Right? Everyone wants to be f one or f three, but f two is is one of the most important freaking things as you enter the zone. Right? Like, because it's gonna open up, like, what the Ds start to do. But, like, that's kind of a hard question because there's so many there's so much. Right?
Scott: Right. No. And
RJ: and it just depends on your role.
Scott: Right. Right. Right. No. But I just I was just kinda like, whatever yeah. Of of course, there's a lot of little things, and there's a lot of details. You know what I mean? But just like, just to give a few examples is really what I was just trying to
RJ: get at. Yeah. I think I think people need to kinda, or kids even, need to sit down and like like journal about it, or like really ask yourself the question of like, what player am I, or what player do I wanna be, and then how do I get there? And then from there, you have those little things that you can work on every single practice, every single game. Right? And then as you get older, your your IQ and your awareness should kind of grow, and then you start to be aware of what role you fill in that game, and you just stick to that. And there'll be times where you have to adapt, and there'll be times where you don't even sniff the ice, but, like, who are you when those two things happen is kind of a big Right. And just kinda keeping like that, like, even keel mentality during a game. Not being too high when things are good, not being too low when things are bad. Yeah.
Jamie: Because it's a roller coaster. Game is such a roller even for parents, the game's a roller coaster.
RJ: Yeah. I I bet.
Jamie: Yeah. It's I I was telling somebody the other day, like, you you can't ever get too high when things are going well, and you can't get too low when things are going badly. Because there's a because it because it crazy. You drive yourself nuts.
Scott: Yeah. So
Jamie: talk about your when you play you so you played overseas. I didn't know that. So when you let you went to West Point, and you went to SUNY Geneseo, and then when you finished Geneseo, you went overseas?
RJ: Yeah. So I played in Sweden Division two with just minor pro. It's nothing crazy. And it was more for, like, a chance to get out of the country for free and, like, make, like Gotcha. A little bit of money. And when I say a little bit of money, I mean, like, oh, we're having pizza this week, boys. Stuff like that. Like but but, no, they treated us very well. I only stayed out there for, like, half a season because I wound up getting, like, a pretty good tech job down in South Florida. So I was like Okay. Like, I can either, like, do this and not make any money at 26 years old, or I can, like, kinda start my life here. So I decided to do that and then kinda pivoted, and some stuff happened in my life and was fortunate enough to kinda hook up back with these guys as they started top line and haven't looked back since, which has been awesome. But overseas, I would recommend it to anyone. It was a lot of fun. It was a good time, but go to the right league in the right place.
Jamie: So if you had to do it over, would you go there, or would you do something else?
RJ: Yeah. I would do I would do everything that I've done over again for sure.
Jamie: No regrets.
RJ: At the end of the day, like, that's how I got here, and that's how I became a real life. So Right.
Jamie: That's true. Yeah.
Scott: Well, what was your point? Just even though it was shorter lived, but, like, were there any major differences that, like, if we're playing overseas or, like, at least in Spain specifically?
RJ: Ice drink is so much better.
Scott: Oh, Love
RJ: that. Got
Scott: time and more time and space.
RJ: Then you find out if you're really in shape or not. Back checking those rinks is way harder. But it was fun. It's a different it is a different game over there. Right? Rink is bigger, so you're not, like, finishing hits as much, because then it's like, oh, crap. Now I gotta get get So you learn how to play within that, but once you kind of keep playing on those ranks, like, there's a lot of space, a lot of time. Like, you can see why those guys come over here, they're so good. Do you know what I mean? Like, it's cool.
Jamie: Any any so when you played juniors, did you go away for juniors, were you here for juniors?
RJ: So I played at the hitmen, then when I went to West Point, I got hurt, and I had I had post concussion post concussion syndrome for like
Jamie: Oh, that's always fun.
RJ: Yeah. Eight months, and I still I still have symptoms of that too. Like, I have to go to a chiropractor every two weeks for my neck.
Scott: Really? Like Shit. Jeez.
RJ: It's terrible. But I went to after West Point and that, I went to the USHL for a little bit. I was Good. I was an aged pretty much an age out at that point in the USHL. At the were trade deadline
Jamie: You were 20?
RJ: Yeah. I was 20, turning 21. So Right. I played in Des Moines, and at the trade deadline, they were like, dude, you're the oldest guy here. Like, we're we're not made at the playoffs. Like, you're getting dished. Like, you're you're out of here. I was like, alright. Fair enough. I wound I wound up in the in the n h NAHL down in a Yeah. Rio Grande Valley, Texas.
Scott: Oh, wait.
RJ: Which was actually Texas is my favorite state by far. So it was a lot of fun.
Jamie: I can imagine.
RJ: Guess that's kinda my why my downfall was I I like to have a little too much fun at that age. Yeah.
Jamie: It's hard. It's not
Scott: It happens.
RJ: Yeah. Yeah. Discipline is tough, man. Does.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. Any good, like, billet stories? You ever, like, any like, we always ask some some people about, like, billet stories.
RJ: Decent one. I haven't really told many people this because it's kind of embarrassing.
Scott: Oh, no. Let's hear it.
RJ: Let's hear it. Yeah. My billet mom at this point. So, like, I went to West Point, that was my first time away. So I never, like and they do your laundry for you. So I was like, oh, this is awesome. So when I went to Des Moines, I had to start, like, really doing my laundry a lot more. And I'm a guy, so I'm not separating anything, and I'm trying to put everything I freaking own into that machine.
Jamie: Lights, darks, hold on.
RJ: Guys I overfilled it a little bit and put a little too much soap in it. And I went back down and the, like, the whole entire utility room full of suds and water.
Jamie: Oh, that's fantastic.
Scott: I was
RJ: like, no way, dude. This this is how my hockey career is gonna end. Like, it's over for me. But luckily, my billet mom wasn't home, and I was able to kinda, like, clean it up, put everything down the drain, and, like Oh
Jamie: my god.
RJ: It's gotten out before. And I was like, I never told her. Hopefully, she doesn't watch this. But, yeah, that was that was kind of an odd situation, and I learned my lesson
Jamie: from that one.
RJ: That's so funny.
Jamie: And she never found out,
RJ: No. I mean, at least she never told me. She never
Scott: never told told me. Right.
RJ: Right. But then another one is just in Des Moines getting there. It was, like, literally my first weekend there, and I didn't play the game. I was getting in there and like putting my stuff away, and the guys were coming back from a road trip, and I guess they didn't play well. They were all fully dressed still after like a pretty long bus ride, And a coach made them skate for, like, two hours. They were, like, their home rink. I was like, what the I had never seen this. And, like, I had, like, Toby Harris and Jim Hunt as coaches who were, like, pretty tough guys, like, great hockey guys. Like, they Sure. Those their training camps were some of the hardest things I've ever done in my life. Even boot camp was easier than that. Like Wow. Yeah. But I was like, what the hell did I get myself into on this one? But luckily, never had to participate in one of those.
Jamie: They made them ride home in the bus fully dressed.
RJ: I'm surprised you guys haven't heard those. Like, there's a there's a good amount of stories like that during during those days in, the USHL and Express or, the NAHL.
Jamie: So Well, didn't know Kevin Hunt had such a reputation like that. Interesting.
RJ: No. They did. They wouldn't do that. They would just skate you the next practice. Well,
Scott: didn't that didn't we had, Michael Ruzione on. And, James, I might be confusing stories, but didn't he tell a story, like, they had lost and Brooks had them like, team back on the ice, and he didn't play in the game? And there's a few guys in the locker room, and they were like Yes. Oh, like, should we get dressed to join the boys out on the ice for the skate? And they were like, no, you go back up in the stands and, like, wash
Jamie: them skate. Stands.
RJ: Oh my god.
Scott: Yeah. He
Jamie: said it was so uncomfortable.
RJ: Yeah. Oh my god, I bet. Yeah. But at the same time, you're like, geez, thank god.
Scott: Thank god. Alright.
Jamie: That's what they said. That's exactly what they said though. Thank god. But they felt bad. They're like, don't know what to do. That's right, Scott. Feel about that. Jesus.
Scott: Yeah. I know. I thought because I thought I could imagine just like, ugh, having to watch your guys. Anyway, wow. The as as so then just getting back to, you know, like, your your journey into coaching. And so when you reconnected with Selman and the other guys, had you had you been in close touch with him over the years, or that was something that, like, you know, just with, like, good timing when you guys kinda got reconnected?
RJ: So not really. I I always stayed in touch with with Connor Lean. I went to Don Bosco with him, and we played at the Hitman together. He's always been a really good buddy and just a really good person, like, just to me in general. And same thing with Justin. Like, I grew up with him. Like, we would carpool together on the way to tournaments and the Saints
Scott: Oh, wow.
RJ: Left and then the Avalanche. So, like, we've seen it all between, like, him getting yelled at and me being like, Thank God I'm not getting yelled at. And him probably being like, Thank God I'm not getting yelled at. Yeah. But it's it's a crazy ride. What was the question?
Scott: No. No. All good. Was just I was just asking, like, know,
Jamie: the linked up with top line.
Scott: How how you, like, transitioned back into, like, into coaching and
Jamie: yeah.
RJ: Well, I was, yeah, I was working in Florida, in South Florida, and kinda just, like, looking out the window, like, oh, the money's good, but, god, does this suck? Like, this is awful. Like, this guy next to me is, like, 40, and I like, he wants to, like, kill himself, and I'm like, dude, I don't wanna be like that.
Jamie: Yeah. You're like, I gotta get out of here.
RJ: Yeah. It's like end of the quarter, and I'm at the off we're in you know, I'm just complaining at this point, but at the office at, like, 12:30 being like, dude, this is these are just made up rules. Like, why can't this deal just close? Like, this doesn't make any sense. But un unfortunately, my my dad passed away when I was down there.
Scott: I'm sorry.
RJ: And then Yeah. That's coming back up here, reconnected with Connor, and he was like, dude, we got this thing going. Like, if you wanna jump on, there's a spot open for you. And at that point, it's during COVID, and we're running, like, sessions out of our first spot in Fairlong, and, you know, like, the the windows are, like, blacked out, so no one could see in. And it's just been it's been a crazy ride from there, and we just we've grown so much. We got a bunch of different coaches that have been awesome, and, you know, like, just never being complacent and kinda just keep going and trying to make better hockey players and better people.
Jamie: You wanna hear a funny story, OJ? So that Fairlawn spot that you're talking about, wasn't it like the Superdome or the what what was it called there?
RJ: It turned into the Superdome. I've it was called the Anvil.
Jamie: Oh, yes. It was called the Anvil. You're a 100% right.
RJ: So I'll never forget that place.
Jamie: Yeah. And you guys had, like, that back area. Right? Yeah. Yeah. So something that's funny, I think when you guys were leaving that space, okay, you guys were still you know, we were out there for a couple of years. However many years you guys were at that space. I think you guys were leaving that space, and Scott calls me. And he's like, dude, he's like, there's somebody on, like, Craigslist or wherever Scott found it. He's like he's like, and there's two he's like, there's two he's selling two black shooter tutors. And and I'm like, really? He's like, yeah. He's like, do you want one? Scott, you remember how much we paid for him? Like, whatever well, $50, $100?
Scott: I don't. It was yeah, it was like, don't know. It was like 2 something, and we split it.
RJ: For both
Jamie: of them.
RJ: Giving you guys the invoice for the rest of Dude.
Scott: Listen, I I can look up the history and find out.
Jamie: Yeah. That's funny. Justin was selling them, and Scott's like it's Jamie's like, he's like, like, do you want one for your for Dominic's net? I'm like, yeah. Sure. Dude, that's what Dominic shoots on every day. Same with auto.
Scott: Yeah. Same with auto.
Jamie: You can still shoot on
RJ: Good value right there. Value. Right?
Scott: A 100%.
Jamie: Justin was selling them on Craigslist or whatever Justin was selling them on. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. So it's like yeah. And that was before, like, you guys were really even like I don't think you actually had, like, ice at that time. It was just the glitz. We
RJ: didn't. We were kinda just, like, kinda just winging it at that point,
Scott: you know?
RJ: It's more like throwing things to the wall and seeing what sticks, but.
Jamie: Right.
RJ: I mean, that's how you gotta start things sometimes, you know? Like, scrapping is too much planning.
Scott: Yeah. Well, let me ask about that. Oh, sorry, James. Go ahead.
Jamie: No. No. I was gonna say that's kinda how we started our podcast, just kinda wing it. I feel like that's what we're still doing.
Scott: Totally. I
RJ: won't tell anyone. Alright.
Scott: I wanted to just ask about the, like, the glice training versus on ice training. And, you know, like, Otto's done very little of it, actually. He was doing it over at well, now you guys have it, but at Performance Den before crawling. But, like, in terms of in terms of working on on glice versus on ice, like, what what are there any I don't know. Like, you're not gonna clearly practice skating on it, but, like, shooting, stick handling, like, how do you guys, like, use that ice most effectively? So Or glice, whatever.
RJ: People look at glice and they're like, dude, I don't wanna do it at all. Right. Right. Without even trying it, which Yeah. I understand. Like, that's like, you can't replace the ice. Like like, everyone knows that. But the technology today, and the glice from when we started to now, is actually it's night and day difference. Like, we pretty much have full skill sessions on the glice. A bigger space would have been better. And I know there's people making blades that are, like, for them and stuff. But at the same time, I look at it as the glice and the space we have as a way to fine tune your skills. Like, you wanna become a better passer or better at catching passes, perfect place for it. You wanna become a better shooter, you wanna get the puck off quicker, you wanna work on this, perfect place for it. Alright? And then you add in having, like, a guy who played a high level of hockey and, like, knows what he's doing and knows how to teach it, you're gonna get, like, unmatched reps, not have to dress fully, and then, you know, how we do it is right after that, we just hop in the gym. I think it's a great it's a great tool. And I think when we say, like, glice, they think it's like, oh, you can only do the glice sessions, and like, that's it. It's replacing your ice sessions. That's not what it's for. Right? It's a practice tool. That's how it should be used. Like, I would tell everyone to just try it, like, once or twice, because you can skate on it. Like, problem skating on it. Will it dull your blades a little bit? Yes, but so does the ice. Right? Like it's not like a crazy thing, but I think people need to kinda try it a little more before they just kinda like, oh, I'm not I'm not even gonna give it a go.
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. I'm close minded like that. Dominic's never been
RJ: on ice.
Jamie: I'm one of those
Scott: Has he ever been on ice?
Jamie: No. I'm one of those assholes. Really?
RJ: Yeah. I Good.
Jamie: Yeah. I I listen. I
Scott: should Listen. I know a guy. I know a guy.
RJ: I can just do a I have a legit
Jamie: reason why, but I like you just said, guy's like, oh, I just never I don't wanna do it. I want it realized. That's that's that's me. I'm that schmuck.
RJ: Yeah. Mean, and that that's fine. Right? Like, it's it's is what it is. I mean, I just think for that, like, you're gonna get unmatched touches to the ice. You're not for that small space, you're not chasing pucks around, you're not like you can really dial in on like, the little skills of shooting, the little skills of passing, the little skills of catching a puck. Or vice versa of like setting a couple things up and starting to talk a little more like hockey IQ with kids. Like Mhmm. Hey, you see that we put this cone there? Why do you think that's there? And like, do I want to just attack that straight? Do I want to get it moving? If I'm if I'm coming from this, what's my angle gonna look like at the net? Is the goalie gonna move with me? Is that guy gonna move with me? Like, there's a like we say skills and all that, and I don't think that should just mean, like, a like a crapload of reps. Just reps, reps, reps, reps, reps. Right? Like, you go to the driving range and you hit a 100 balls, but they all suck, you're not gonna get better. If you hit 20 balls and it's like, I worked on my form and I worked on this, and some of them had sucked, or some were good, but at least you have like something to adjust, or something to learn from, rather than not thinking about it at all, which I think a lot of coaches and a lot of players just go to, like, sessions and go to practice, and, like, I'm just showing up and doing what I'm told. Like, think it should be a different way of like, I'm showing up, and I'm going to learn something. Right? There's going to be something I can get better at. Whether that's, oh, coach told me to try to slide my stick down, or slide my hand down when I'm shooting, or maybe on my turns, feet are too close together, or I'm not rotating my body as I come around. Big thing for me, and I talk to Dom about it all the time, is how did that feel? How did that rep feel compared to the last one? And now, we've done it so much where he's like, oh, I felt like I was on my heels there. Okay, so how do you adjust that? Oh, I didn't turn my upper body. Okay, how do you adjust that? Like, stuff like that. Especially with Talk through it. Yeah. It's it's really crazy. Like, everything is, like, in hockey is cool because it's like if you really think about it, it's all instant feedback. Like, oh, that puck came off my my toe a little too much. Alright? It's a easy fix. I slide the puck a little more mid blade, or, like, my hand wasn't, like, pushing down and out. Like, okay, next time I squeeze the stick a little harder and I put a little more pressure on it. Like, it that's what I think it just needs to be more like you're a student of the game. You're not just a hockey player. You need to constantly get learning. And some of like, there are players where it's like, they think they know everything by 15, and then all of a sudden, everyone is passing them, and they wonder why.
Jamie: And you think the Gliese is good for that stuff? For that type of like, the hockey idea and the
RJ: I think it's really good. It's a more intimate environment. Right? Like Right. For the most part, ice is expensive around here, and you're not gonna be, like, one on one or one on two with just those kids in that environment. There's pucks flying around. You gotta watch getting hit in the back of the head. Like, there's a fucking Mike kid who's never skated that's, like, sliding around. It's like, I gotta watch out for getting slide tackled around here. But, like, there, like, you're one on one or two on one with the kid, and, like, how did that feel? What do you think is different? Do you think that would work in a game? Like, oh, you can't catch a puck? Like, okay, like, let's look I'm starting to video a lot more things and, like, use that too. Like, okay, let's look at it. And like, just that visualization, and just slowing things down, and not just doing reps for reps for reps for reps, and like, more quality reps has been like, it's changed my coaching mindset a lot, and I think like kids are getting they're getting better a little quicker. Like, in just terms of, like, progressing. Right? That's all I'm looking for.
Jamie: Because of the way you're coaching now compared to what you used to?
RJ: Yeah. And again, it's it's a learning process for me, too. Tell kids all the time, like, listen, I'm not like, you're gonna hear different things from different coaches. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm not saying they're wrong, but take both of those and see what feels good for you. Right? Yeah. Then, like, the videos are great because then, now it's like, okay, so you did that then and look at that. Does that look athletic? Does that look comfortable? And then we could start to adjust from there. But I think the Gliese is really, really good for that. Def like, individually.
Scott: Yeah. So you just just bringing up the video piece also, like, into like, and you're saying you're incorporating it more. And that and that's just like so are are is that something that you do often, like, with with with kids, like, video review, or is that something you're getting asked to do a lot?
RJ: So there's there's two ways. There's like the video review of like review your shifts or review your games, but I bring like my iPad out to like To
Scott: do the skill sessions. Right.
RJ: And if it's like all private or because it gets to be a lot if there's like four or five kids, and I'm like, hey, don't do it. Sure. You know, and then I feel like an idiot. Right. But one on one, it's like, okay, let's look at that. No one's really asked me for it, I kinda just been doing it, just because I feel like it's more beneficial. I'll ask the kid if he likes it or not, and if he's Yep. Nah, it's like kind of annoying, like, they'll just put it away. Right. If he's like, oh, that actually helped me out, then we'll start talking about it a little more. But what I see is it benefits a lot in the skating, like, if I'm just doing private lesson for skating with one or two kids, because then we can look at like, both those kids can look at their stride and another kid's stride. And then the next question is, what looked good there, what looked bad there? And then as that kid's watching the other kid go, now I could see, did you like that stride? How was he on his edges there? And he's starting to teach he's almost teaching me how to skate now. And if he can teach me how
Scott: to skate
RJ: when he's at when he's at practice, or when he's at stick it puck, like, he can start practicing that on his own, and he doesn't always need me. I don't, like, I can't be there in a game with you, telling you like, oh, like, chip the puck here and do this. Need to be able But to think about I think being able to, like, kinda teach it back is a good way to start that, and just start thinking about things differently. Because the goal would be to start to not think about it and just do it.
Jamie: Right. Right. Yeah. Yeah. So it's it's funny. Speaking of, you know, one on one, one on two, or, like, three on, you know, four on one, what do you like better? Do you like small groups, or do you like the or, like, if what do you think is more beneficial for kids? You like the one on ones more, or you like the, like, the three on ones or the four on ones?
RJ: When you're younger, I think a group is a little better because your attention span is terrible. Like, all these little kids that come for me for, like, the one on ones, if if you're, like, a might or below, I, like, recommend, like, a thirty to forty minute session. Because by that time, the kid's, like, how much time is left? Or like He's totally he's looking at the stands thinking about eating popcorn after the Yeah.
Jamie: He's done.
RJ: Yeah. Yeah. Like, I but I want, like, I'd rather a thirty minute session of him doing the right things and being fully engaged. Right. So I think a group is a little better, because you can kind of play off, like, who's out there. Mhmm. And then they kind of focus a little more. Right. As you get older, it it just depends on the kid. Like, some people like the one on one aspect, some like, the group aspect. But if you can find, like, a good private coach, stick with it. If you can find a coach that one to three or four kids, and it runs well, and you guys have a good, like, flow, and you're getting better with better kids, even worse kids, and just learning how to push yourself through that Right. I think, like, either will benefit you.
Jamie: Right. As long as you're doing something.
RJ: But I, like, I also think that just seeing it, it's like a lot of parents, and like, don't fault them for this, and I'm not, like, complaining about it, but like, it's like, oh, who's gonna be there? It's like, too, like, you know, there are some times where your kid's not the best kid out there either, you know? Like, but at the same time, like, you're gonna play against kids When you go to high school, you're gonna play against kids that are 14 and kids that are 18. Like, you gotta learn how to play with everyone, pretty much. And I understand people are spending money on it, but it's also like, dude, this is the times we have. It you wanna come, like, we're gonna work and let him let him teach himself how to, like if he thinks he's better than everyone, then freaking prove it. Right? Like, that's not that's not a time to take off take your foot off the gas pedal. That's a time to put your foot on the gas pedal.
Jamie: That's interesting. So you you have parents that that won't show up because their kid's not the best one in the group?
RJ: No. I have parent yeah. I have parents that will ask, and I'm sure this is everyone, that if they don't if they think their kid is the best one, or like, too good for the group, then they'll be like, Oh, is can we do another session? And then they'll ask me, Can I skate with the college guys? Like, dude, like, is that like Yeah. Yeah. I I get it. Wait a minute. I get it, and we try to make it work the best we can, but Mhmm. You gotta, like, you gotta learn how to play hockey, and like, it shouldn't matter who the hell is out there, in my opinion. Right. I have we have an NHL guy that skates with me all summer, and I'll be like, hey, man, like, if you don't mind, like, these little kids would love to come out, and they're pretty good, but, like, they wanna see how like, you work, and he'll be like, dude, no problem. Like, it's not gonna like, I won't let that happen if it's gonna affect someone else's lesson.
Jamie: Right. Of course.
RJ: If I think it's gonna affect someone's lesson and someone's training, then I'll I'll speak up and be like, no, like, he can't come, or yes, he can come, or no, like, he shouldn't be in this session, maybe try this session.
Scott: Right.
RJ: But I think to, like, put your kid on a pedestal like that a little bit, it's like, it's not teaching him the right, like, lesson, in in my opinion. Correct. Cannot better than anyone just because you're a little bit better at a sport than somebody. You know? Like I can only 12. Like, in a year
Scott: or two,
RJ: that kid could pass you, and your kid could not even be playing hockey. Like
Scott: Yeah. You know, and just like listening to you talk about all this, I just what what what came to me was, like, how how the way you operate is it's not a monologue. You're not the coach out there just telling the kids what to do. It's a dialogue. Like, you're getting feedback from the kid on how to, like, adjust your approach potentially. Right? And it just honestly, just hearing you talk about your approach just, like, how much, like, you care about, like, the kids that you're working with. And then what that brought me to is, like, relationship building. Right? And just, like, I can see the value in working with coaches, like, consistently. Right? And that's something you brought up earlier in terms of, like, maybe a key to success was consistency in some regards and how important it would be just to to work with a coach. Assuming they're a good coach and, you know, the kid likes them and not just because they are a gold medalist or they're a former pro, not because they got these accolades, but just someone your kid can connect with. Right? Like, if the kid the coach. Yeah. No. It just it just hearing you talk about things, it just the the value of that just seems very clear to me right now.
RJ: Yeah. No. I I appreciate that. I mean, I that's why I do it is because I never had a coach, like, be like, hey. This is why we're doing this drill.
Scott: Right.
RJ: You know? Like, and there'd be multiple times where I'm like, dude, why the hell are we doing this? You know? Doing it to do it. But, like,
Jamie: I don't
RJ: I don't believe in that anymore. You know? Like, you step on the ice. Like, it's not just practice to practice. You gotta practice with some intent. Like Right. Today, I'm gonna like, if we're doing tight turns, I'm gonna freaking I'm gonna work on how I tight turn. Right? Like but I'm gonna do it the best of my ability, and not just be like, this is a cone and stuff like that. But I think just asking, like, hey, do you see how this is applicable, like, applicable to a game? Or, like, how you can use this in this situation? And, you know, like, you I'm honestly surprised, and, like, Dom's a good example of it, because we've been doing it for a while of, like I'll start to talk to Dom, and, I'll be like, hey, do you see how cutting above here can open up a space? And then now he'll start to be like, yeah, I do see this, but also can I do this too? Can I cut his hands off and come in this? I'll be like, dude, a 100%. There's no one right or wrong answer. All I want you to do is think think. Right? Like, those are gonna be moving. Like, there's gonna be more guys out there. You're going to have options too. It's not you one on one. Like Right. You're gonna have teammates to look for. You're gonna have deed to look out for. Yeah. So if you can kinda be aware and know the why of why you're doing all this for the big aspect of playing good in games, I think it'd be like, the sessions become better too. Yeah.
Jamie: And it's funny you said that, you know, because so Dominic's been with you for a while now. You know? I mean, so, you know, so and and he yeah. And he yeah. And he trusts you, like, implacably. Like, you know, he's he's you know? So when when you you know? And I think you guys have an awesome relationship, and I think that that's huge. You know? You you know, that didn't start. It had to be built over time. Right? Yeah. You know, that that's that's huge. If you can if you like you said, if you can find a skills coach that you trust and and and you work with him and you stay with him instead of listen. I know people bounce all over the place, but, you know, you guys have been together for a long time, and and he's made huge strides since he's been with you, RJ. You know? Yeah.
RJ: No pun
Scott: no pun intended. Right?
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. Exact I actually didn't mean it. It's true.
RJ: I mean, I I appreciate that, but it it's just been awesome to watch him, like, grow, like, mentally, one, like, you know, like, just be able to, like, control his emotions a little more and realize that it's not like there's no gun to your head when you're doing this rep, dude. Like Right. You have another rep, or, like, you're going to have another shift. Like, how do you control yourself when that's happening? Because when good and he's like, then the next shift he'll be like, or the next rep he'll go like, bar down and be like, and look back at me like I'm an idiot, like I'm an asshole to him. Like, I'm like, yo, I I told you. What did we just argue about for five minutes?
Jamie: Yeah. Yeah. No. I'll I'll say this. Dominic had not just physically, like, skating and and shooting her and passing and stick handling, you know, with you, but, like, mentally, Dominic has grown since he's been with you. I know you've seen that. I I don't even need to tell you that.
RJ: Yeah. No. Believe me. It's it's been awesome to watch, and, like, that's why we do it, because the game is not just skills. The gay like, the game of hockey is a lot is a big mental battle, and being aware of what's going on. And, you know, we talked about it before, the ups and downs, the ups and downs. Like, body language plays a lot into that. What you say to yourself plays a lot into that. Right? Like, being able to talk to your teammates about what's going on plays a lot into that stuff.
Scott: Do do you did well, I guess this is kinda like the same question, but in two different ways. But as far as, like, the mental performance, mental strength aspect of the game, is that something that you ever, like, like, was part of, like, your training when, like, you were younger or, like, even in college? And then also, is that something that, like, you see a lot of kids doing more and more of?
RJ: I think it's becoming a bigger thing, especially with Instagram and all that stuff. Like, people are able to get it out a little more. Yeah. I was playing, not necessarily, but I used to run a lot, and like Okay. That was my, like that's how I got, like, mentally tough. Like, there's no harder thing than being freaking 14, and you're, like, people are going to, like, the birthday party, and you're like, dude, I gotta run three miles, like, 100 clocks, and it's a 100 degrees out. Like, you know? Then after you do, like, a full workout, like, that was kinda my mental thing. But at the same time, like, I think that's a huge aspect of it, of just learning how to, like, kind of control your emotions. Like Yeah. Not just in the game, but, like, during training. Like, you know, like, training is not supposed to be, like, this fun, exciting, like, elaborate thing. It's it's supposed to be like monotonous, and doing the same thing over again, and like, getting better at the simple little details of shooting a puck, and skating, and, you know, like, just making these little moves. Like, I like to compare it to, like or how I think of, like, Michael Jordan of him, just, like, in his backyard just shooting the ball. Right? And, like, putting himself in a game situation, like but just shooting and shooting and shooting. I think that's how, like like, you see it on Instagram, and I'm guilty of it too. And it's like, come to this cone, jump over the pad, spinarama, like, get on your knees, get up, and, like, it's great, and it looks awesome. And you can call it Russian edges or whatever the hell you wanna call it, but, like, like, I I'm a big believer in the simplicity of hockey. Like, if you can be have a good foundation of shooting, a good foundation of being a good skater and being athletic, all those things will will sometimes just come in a game. Right? Because when you get tired and pressure's on you, what do you fall back on? You fall back on your highest level of training, which, in my opinion, should be like the way, like, a Japanese baseball player plays. Like, you know, like, isn't the most flashy person, but he'll be in the league for a hundred years and not get hurt and make the right plays at the right time kind of stuff.
Jamie: Yeah. You always get the job done. Yeah.
Scott: Yeah. So so something that that you just said got me thinking about just, like, doing those monotonous things, like going outside garage, wherever, shooting pucks. And something that, like, comes up often is just like, okay. So I'm gonna send, you know, hey, Otto. Go out there. I need you to, you know, I need you to. Right? Here I am a crazy hockey dad. Right? Yeah. But what what I think you should do, you know, as I as I clench my fist is is why don't you go out there and hang out with that lonely bucket of pucks. Right? Yeah. And
Jamie: I like Jason Tap. Mhmm.
Scott: Yeah. Exactly. Shout out Jason Tapp. Yeah. But but the shoot like, the shooting mechanics of a kid just going out there and shooting pucks, like you said, you gave a different example of it earlier. But, like, if you said if the kid's going out there every day with, like, poor form, poor technique
RJ: Yeah.
Scott: He's just reinforcing poor form, poor technique, you know? So In a
RJ: way, when when they're younger, I don't like, think just, like, like, getting out there and shooting is is a good thing.
Scott: Okay. Fair. As you
RJ: get older, right, like, then you wanna kinda focus in. But, like, at the same time, if they're out there to, like and doing that, they're gonna be thinking about it a little bit, or you hope. Right? And, like Right. Again, it's instant feedback. So, like, there's, like, your puck's a muffin, I'm I know for a fact there's no hockey player in the world that's just gonna be like, alright, I'm just gonna shoot a 100 muffins. Yeah. Right. You're gonna try to, like, adjust something. Right. But what I what I also tell people is to, like, pick a guy in the NHL or in college, he's gonna have a YouTube video somewhere of him shooting, or a picture of him shooting, and emulate that. Right? Try to get to that point. Or go on YouTube and type it in, how to properly shoot. Like, the thing that we didn't have when we were growing up is, like, the Internet and all this stuff. It's huge. There's so many free resources that there's really no excuse to not do, like, those little things. And, you know, like, if if you're not doing it, someone else is. Uh-huh. Right. Rather do it consistently, hopefully not consistently bad, right? Right.
Jamie: Right. I guess it's better to be out there and doing something poorly than be out than not be out there at all. Right?
RJ: Yeah. Something's better than nothing, for
Jamie: sure. Right. Right. Even if I guess it was more and I get that at younger ages. When they get older, they can kinda dial and then they're also stronger. Right? You know? I I I remember when Dominic was shooting when he was younger, He would throw muffins at the net all day long. You know? You know? And it was just like fire a bunch of pucks, like, at the center of the net a bunch, and then we got, like, a shooter to her. Now he starts picking corners. So it's funny to watch your kid evolve over time. And you're you're right. I think they kinda do figure it out a little bit. Wonder they to, a
RJ: little bit. Right? Like, we we can't we can't hold their hand the whole time and be like, hey, dude, this is exactly how you have to do it. Because I think that also changed their mindset of like, oh, coach said I have to do it like this way, so then the creativity goes out the window.
Scott: Problem what Yeah. When when I when I was a kid, just like shooting outside also, and like, you just brought this conversation is bringing it back, but like, if I'm not like hitting a target guy with like hanging, like, bottles in the corner with, like, old shoelace or whatever, hockey skate lace. But, like, you know, if I'm missing consistently, it's like, okay. Well, that's not what I'm going for. So I'm gonna I'm gonna try something else. I might, you know, change the position of, like, my hips, or I might be, like, put keeping my hands closer together or further apart. But you start think like, to your point, you're right. You're the kid's definitely thinking about it and, like, saying, okay. If I'm not getting the result that I want, let me try some other way to fix it. And then unlike, at the same time, like, you could be on have a kid on the ice and with a coach that's, like, teaching them how to shoot, but, like, insisting they have, like, you their hands here, you know, and a backswing that only goes so far if they're working on clappers, whatever. And, like, that might just feel really shitty for that kid. Like, that that could just feel like wrong, you know? And then what? They're gonna go home and like I I don't know, you know? Like, so I I guess yeah. I guess I'm ultimately saying and agreeing that like, just getting out there is even if it's not with the right technique, they're learning. Right?
RJ: Yeah. And I I like if some if a kid has the, like, the momentum or, like, to, like, jump out outside without anyone asking him, he wants to get better. Right. You know? Or he's or he's having a a good time, which is even better. Right? He's having Yeah. Yeah. Like, again, like, I don't know. When I was out there shooting the ball with my friends or shooting the puck by myself, like, it was always game seven, thirty seconds left. Like, RJ's got the puck. He got gotta hit the corner, like, stuff like that. Yeah. You know, like, if again, if you're not hitting your spot, it's like, why am I not hitting that? Or why am I not hitting it consistently? What can I change?
Jamie: Right.
RJ: Yeah. Yeah. And then at that point, sometimes that's a good time to like, okay, he's been out there for a couple weeks. Like, maybe we take a video and send it to his coach and see if he can adjust something, and then you kinda go from there.
Scott: Right. That's true.
Jamie: You're right. The the iPhone and and and, like, the camera on the iPhone, now that it's everywhere, right, everybody's got one in their pocket. And YouTube, I mean, you're right. You said before, like, there's no excuse. Like, it's so easy. The information is so accessible these days for these kids. And I think a lot of them don't take advantage of it.
RJ: Yeah. Right? And there's there's also the point of, like, you get down that YouTube rabbit hole. There's nine coaches saying nine different things, and you see this, and then it's like, do I even get out there at that point? Like daunting. Yeah. Yeah. It needs to be just like one video, one player, go do it. Right. Right.
Scott: Yeah. I like that. That was a good call. It's just like, just pick a player that you like. Yeah. Right? Because there's gonna be a ton of noise out there. But if you like that player, then, yeah, like, get after it.
RJ: Mean, that's with anything. Like, I had a, like, a kid that's trying to play better in the d zone today. Like, that's a hard thing to teach at a one on one, like, you know what I mean? It's just me and I'm like, dude, I'm just gonna walk around you all the time. But I told him, I was like, dude, one, he plays soccer. So it's like, this is gonna be very similar, or there's gonna be similar aspects to you playing soccer defensively, to you playing hockey defensively. Right. So when you're on the soccer field, like, start to think about it a little bit, and just just take it out here the next time you're in a three on three or whatever. What's the worst thing that's gonna happen? You get beat, dude, you're already getting beat. So what who cares? You know what I mean? Right. Or like, like, just little things like that, but just watching the game. I think kids kind of like forget about that. Like, if you're gonna watch a hockey game, you don't just watch the puck, right, if you're Right. Trying to get better. You gotta watch the whole entire game. What's the d doing? Okay. In this situation, he's stepping a little bit. In this situation, they're staggered. Like, alright, they're playing in between the dots a little more. Like, stuff like that. And then, I think kids, like, you know, like I don't have kids, but, you know, they say, like, your your kids will watch you and emulate kinda what you do. So why not translate that over to watching hockey and trying to do that on the ice too?
Jamie: Yeah. We don't enough kids that I think Alec Marsh said it. Right, Scott? He said, like, enough kids, like, these days just don't watch hockey. Right? They just don't watch enough hockey. You know?
Scott: Yeah. Because they just watch the clips. Yeah. Or they watch,
RJ: like, they watch, like, those trick, like, the trick shot things, which is great. Like, that but that's not hockey. Like
Jamie: That's not That's not gonna help you. Yeah. That'll help you become Instagram famous, but that's it.
Scott: Yeah. But the and, like, also to that point, it's like, you know, whatever the statistic is on, like, how much of a game you're actually playing with the puck on your stick. Right? It's like
RJ: Yeah.
Jamie: It's crazy.
Scott: Very little. So it's like, the really you should be paying attention to
RJ: the best kids out there have the puck on their stick more. You know what mean? 100%. Right. Right.
Jamie: Yeah.
Scott: Right. So it's like
Jamie: at all. You know?
RJ: Yeah. It's true. But it's stick out of the puck as fast as we can, and then chase it around in practice. Like, you know, what's that gonna do for you?
Jamie: Yep. I just wanna understand. Every time every everybody's trying to toe drag these days. Like, everybody's trying to, like, you know, like, flip the puck under a stick or, like, toe drag. Like, I say it all the time. My kid drives me nuts. I'm like, in the stands when I'm watching the game, I'm like, just go around him. I'm like, just go around him.
RJ: Times when these kids, they'll have the deep beat, and then it's like, dude, I gotta, like, pull right here, and then the corner over there. If you go, should walk in and down. Score a goal. Exactly. A 100.
Jamie: Oh, you need to do
RJ: the same drive. It's weird. Some of the they're like scared to make contact sometimes, you know? Like, everything's gotta be super super fancy, instead of like, hey dude, like, you have speed. One easiest move to do is slow down and speed up. Right? Make that d step to you, and then speed up and cut them off. Like, get to the net, but it's easy, but it's hard because you know if you're getting to the center of the ice and you're getting to that net, like, you're probably gonna get hit, or you're probably gonna get a stick on you. But where are the goals scored? You know? Like, that area.
Jamie: Right there. Yeah.
Scott: No. It's so true. Yeah. Did to see like, and to that point, like, it's like the the the simpler things. Right? Just like and and kids are like, they make it complicated because they wanna do these complicated things. And I yeah. No. I I know I see it with my with my son too. I'm like, dude, just like, if you if you can't like, how many times are you really getting around this guy doing like, trying to, like, toe drag or, like, slide it through wherever? And I'm like, if you don't have it, like, escape turn. Try to beat them wide. If you don't have anything wide Yeah. Just keep the puck on your stick and just try to make a play. But don't just keep on doing the thing you keep doing, then Probably right on the puck at the blue line. Yeah.
RJ: On the blue line. Of course.
Scott: No doubt.
Jamie: It's always right on the blue line.
Scott: Yeah. Yeah. Oh god. Unreal.
Jamie: So so we've kept you for, like, almost an hour and fifteen minutes. So I have one more question for you. Do you have any really funny, like, hockey parrot stories that you're let that
Scott: mean Or disturbing ones. We take disturbing ones also.
Jamie: Doesn't have
RJ: to be your parent
Jamie: either,
RJ: by Just the alcohol and tournaments do not mix. Like, there's no need for you to be going over the glass yelling at the refs or yelling at your kids. It's embarrassing for you. It's embarrassing for the team, and more importantly, it's embarrassing for your kid. Like, no one wants to do that. But I will say when I was younger, I I was playing at Sportarama in house league, and, you know, I scored, like, two goals, like, pretty quickly. And I was lining up for the face off, and this is, like, the first period, like, end of the first period. And my dad, he goes, RJ. I was like, what? And he goes, are you tired? I was like, yeah. Took me off the ice. He said, alright. Now you could sit by me the whole game. Benched me for two periods. He was like, you never tell a coach you're tired. I was like
Scott: No way. Lesson learned.
Jamie: That was the coach? The coach, Ben Stewart?
RJ: My dad. That was my dad. Oh, was it your dad was coaching? Oh, wow.
Jamie: Oh, your dad and he was the head coach. Okay.
RJ: Yeah. Wow. Probably cried for two periods.
Scott: Oh my God.
Jamie: Now, do you think he was trying to well, obviously, trying to teach you a lesson. Right?
RJ: Yeah. It's that old thing of just, dude, you're playing hockey, like, you don't let anyone know. Like, You said before. Through it because and kinda it kinda served its purpose later on in life where, you know, like, you start to look at this. There's a game within the game. Like Oh, yeah. When you're lining up for face offs, or you're on the bench, like, chirping the other guys, like, that's part of the game. But if if you see someone with their, like, hunched over like this, breathing heavy, like, oh, I'm getting under this guy's skin easy, like, or You know this guy's a head case, like, Oh, I can tap him on the shins, he's gonna hit me back, and he's in the box. Like, it kinda served its purpose like that. Like, just don't let anyone know, stay even keel, and just play the game to the best of your ability. But I was also like, Dad, like, what if it was, like, the third period, and I can't even skate, and we're, like, up by a goal? Like, do you want me to not probably be tired then? Like Right.
Jamie: Don't let him see the weakness. No weakness. Right? Show no weakness. Unreal. Awesome. Listen, RJ. Thank you, buddy. I really appreciate you coming out.
RJ: Appreciate you guys this time. That was fun.
Scott: Yeah. So good to see you guys. It's been a long time.
RJ: Yeah. It's been a while.
Jamie: Yep. This was this great, dude. Thank you very much. We're gonna have to have you on the end, RJ. Thank you, buddy.
RJ: Yeah. Sounds good.
Scott: Yeah. Appreciate That'd
RJ: be awesome. Thank you, buddy.
Jamie: Yep. See you.
Scott: Alright, everybody. Welcome back from that interview with RJ Burns. Amazing to get to know him better, man.
Jamie: Yeah. That's right. You didn't really know him that well before that.
Scott: Yeah. I mean, we crossed paths when I was coaching and, like, he was leading one of the the he led the team for a little bit that came on after us. At the Avalanche? At the Avalanche.
Jamie: Oh, did he really? I didn't realize that. There was
Scott: a a change up and he was he was helping out. So Justin was Doing
Jamie: skill stuff?
Scott: No. No. I think he was out there coaching.
Jamie: Was he really? Oh, nice. I didn't
Scott: know that. Oh, nice. Yeah. And then Otto's gone over to one of the places. I think he shot some pucks with Connor
Jamie: and Oh, cool. Very cool. Anyway They they have an off ice place too.
Scott: Yeah. Which used to that's the
Jamie: I didn't mention that on the first
Scott: half of this. Yeah. Yeah. That's over in in Hawthorne. Right. Used to be the Used to be performance den
Jamie: The den. Yes.
Scott: Which was Brandon Crawley.
Jamie: Right. Whatever happened to Brandon Crawley? Where is he?
Scott: He moved to Florida.
Jamie: Oh, he's not in the area anymore?
Scott: No. Not no. Don't think Rangers draft pick. Right? He played yeah.
Jamie: He got he actually played a bunch of games.
Scott: Right? He played, so he played he's local. He grew grew up in shoot.
Jamie: I wanna say White Coffin. Ramsey? It was around here. Ramsey? Glenrock? Something. It was right Yeah. Around
Scott: I think Glenrock.
Jamie: Local to us.
Scott: Yeah. And then he played I know he played for the Avalanche. He went then he went to the OHL. He played for the, London Knights.
Jamie: Oh, he was a London Knight. Oh, that's legit, man.
Scott: Dude, he's he played with That's legit. He was teammates with
Jamie: I'm gonna say there's probably some big names.
Scott: Matthew. Wait. Was it Matthew or Brady Kochuck?
Jamie: I'm sure. I don't doubt it. That's the Kochuck. The London Knights are the real deal.
Scott: Evan Bouchard.
Jamie: Again, London Knights are the real deal.
Scott: I think Mitch Marner?
Jamie: I don't doubt it. The London Knights are the real deal.
Scott: I think he had some, like Yeah. No. They are the real deal, but he also happened to be there with, like
Jamie: Well, that's what I'm saying. He obviously was the real deal because to get to that team is is very legit.
Scott: Yeah. And then he played
Jamie: That's a hard team to go wrong with. Right. A lot of those guys make a thing. And that was
Scott: years ago now and he came from The States. He went there undrafted.
Jamie: Oh, did?
Scott: Yeah. He wasn't in the Oyster
Jamie: Oh, he wasn't drafted. No. Oh, that's interesting. I didn't realize that. Oh, so he moved to Florida.
Scott: Yeah. He moved last I talked to him, moved out of the, down to Florida.
Jamie: That's right.
Scott: He had to stop playing because of concussions. I was
Jamie: gonna say he kept getting hurt. Concussions. Right.
Scott: But as a Ranger, he scored a goal against the Devils.
Jamie: Oh, did he?
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: That's funny. Boo, Boonevaz was a Ranger too, who's also a top line guy. Yeah. Yeah.
Scott: You know?
Jamie: Him and Justin, I think I wanna say I went to Michigan together. I wanna say they played on the same line together, but I'm not
Scott: sure that's right.
Jamie: They both were Michigan Wolverines together. Yeah. Speaking of, I'm pretty sure that, somebody that we interviewed the other day graduated with Boo. Who? I don't wanna give away on on on our soon to be episode. Oh. Oh. A very smart person that we just interviewed Really? Graduated with Boo No way. From the University of Michigan.
Scott: I didn't know that other person went there.
Jamie: Yes. Yes. I just found that out recently. Oh. Right. That makes sense. Classmates.
Scott: How about that?
Jamie: And I don't know if Justin was in that graduating year two, but I wanna say Boo
Scott: was. Interesting. How about that? Small world.
Jamie: Yes. We have a good interview coming soon that we just did that will be
Scott: Next week? Probably?
Jamie: Yeah. Probably next week, I would say. Right? That makes sense to you next week? Yeah. Because that's a good one. We wanna get that one out there. Not that the rest of them aren't. They're all good. But that that that one's gonna be very insightful, I think.
Scott: I agree with that.
Jamie: Yeah. Ton ton of information coming in one.
Scott: No doubt.
Jamie: But yeah, but the top line guys are great. So they took over Brandon Crawley's old place. In Hawthorne. In Hawthorne.
Scott: They got Gliese and they got a gym. Right. It's a smaller facility.
Jamie: Is a small
Scott: But still can
Jamie: get some
Scott: legit reps in.
Jamie: Yeah. Like, top top line guys are great. Dominic's been skating with them for a long time.
Scott: Yeah. A lot
Jamie: of American dream stuff that we did with them.
Scott: It would be great to have, you know, talk to, you know, Justin or Boo or, you know, Connor. But, like, just listening to RJ and his own personal philosophy, like, you know, just how he was even saying that the most rewarding for him has been coaching. Playing Yeah, that was surprising to me, man. I kind of feel like recency bias. I wanna call on that a little bit.
Jamie: Maybe, but that surprised me when he said that. I was really surprised when he said how much he enjoys it. Yeah. I I I didn't expect him to say that.
Scott: I wouldn't have think I wouldn't have thought that it it trumps Playing. Playing. But hey, listen. I mean, that's great. And it obviously shows because he cares so much about the kids. And like, I thought it was great how he was just talking about like you know having conversations with the kids about you know like kind of like how it's feeling for them what they're seeing out there. He does it with Dominic. And relationship building. Yeah. And you know it's helping kids understand the why behind some of it. And getting them to understand that like mind body connection. Really, you know, and again, listen. I've never had like a skills coach like this. So, I can't say from experience what it's like to, but I would imagine with any other mentor or teacher or coach, it's like there are better ones and there are less good ones. And it just seems like
Jamie: Just like every other profession, right?
Scott: A good one.
Jamie: No, RJ's good. And I think it's funny you mentioned some of the rest of the guys. I think Boo has agreed to come on with us.
Scott: That's awesome.
Jamie: We just need to schedule him. The top line guys are all great. They all played at very high levels. They're very good coaches. Again, if you're in our area or close to our area, the top line guys are great. Yeah. They have a bunch of facilities. I'm waiting for them to have their own rink one day.
Scott: Oh, yeah.
Jamie: That's gonna be interesting.
Scott: Well, was a
Jamie: They tried.
Scott: With Fritz? Yeah.
Jamie: Yeah. That place is a mess, by the way.
Scott: I mean, still just shut down.
Jamie: So we'll give you guys some context. For those of you who are in our area know Fritz Diedel in Westwood? Westwood. In Westwood. So Fritz Diedel, the mother, was a figure skater early nine
Scott: No. Long time ago. Thirties? My role? No. Don't know was Forties? Fifties, I thought. Either way.
Jamie: Okay. Long time ago.
Scott: Long time ago.
Jamie: Okay. So they owned a rink and like a whole complex which is like a rink, parking lot, couple buildings. And Fritz Diedel was famous in our area for being a square ice rink.
Scott: It's literally got square corners.
Jamie: It's literally has
Scott: It wasn't meant for hockey.
Jamie: It's not meant for hockey. Right. So it was it literally has square corners. And the funny part about it is is have you have you seen the Zamboni's?
Scott: Dude, I used to play pickup there, like, once a week for, like, a long time. And that actually happens to be the first rink where I ever skated with, hockey equipment on.
Jamie: Is that right?
Scott: It was my first clinic. Oh, with Clark McMillan.
Jamie: Okay. That's a name from the past.
Scott: Yeah. I know.
Jamie: From our childhood.
Scott: Yeah. My goodness. And not Eric. Eric's brother, Riker. No. Oscar Oscar Oscar Riker. Oh, the doctor? Yes.
Jamie: Gotcha. The orthopedist.
Scott: Yeah. His oldest son.
Jamie: Oh, he was with you there?
Scott: Okay. Us. Yeah.
Jamie: Interesting. So yeah. So so Fritz Diedel is a square rink. Not only is it square, there
Scott: The ceilings are very low.
Jamie: The ceilings are low. From the lobby, there's only these little, like, small, like, picture I didn't even say picture windows. Tiny windows to watch through.
Scott: And
Jamie: there's no the doors to get in to the rink are like They're swinging doors in
Scott: and out of a kitchen restaurant a restaurant kitchen.
Jamie: Think of a western bar which have those doors that push open. Yeah. Right? Those two swing doors that push or like like a kitchen. But the two it reminds me of like a saloon Yeah. With the two doors that push open. Yeah. That's how you get into this
Scott: room. Right. But they're like the they they go all the way to the
Jamie: They go all the to the ceiling. Bottom. Yeah. They're not just yeah. They're bright.
Scott: So let me let me tell you something. So I was skating there once a week on like Tuesday nights for a while and like so there's no there's no benches.
Jamie: There's no benches. What we would do To get off the ice, you literally have to go out the door.
Scott: Dude, you have to go out the door. But what we would do is we would take benches that, you know, that were in the lobby You bring them in tie their skates and we'd bring them onto ice and set them up in the corners and that's where we would sit.
Jamie: I am not surprised.
Scott: Dude. And so I was playing pickup and there's this one one of the guys that was there. He was also my men's league team but an older guy. Right. And there was like I don't know. Let's just say he was like 60. Right? And there was another guy on the ice who was probably like, I don't know, same age, maybe a little older. A little Right.
RJ: Yeah.
Scott: And Scott happens to be his name. And Scott, you know, could be a feisty player. And like for some reason I think the old the other guy the other old guy out there like, I don't know, did something to Scott that like frustrated him. So the guy was skating down the side and Scott like body checked him like not super hard.
Jamie: Into the 90 degree angle corner?
Scott: No. Right into the swinging doors.
Jamie: He into the lobby? He went through the lobby? He went to the lobby? He
Scott: checked him literally out of the rink.
Jamie: Yeah. It doesn't take much pressure to open those doors. Dude, it was I mean, literally, you just gotta push on
RJ: it and they You're like,
Scott: it was funny because, like, first of all, Scott was, like, bigger than this other guy and this guy was also older.
RJ: It's so
Jamie: Oh my god. So he bodied him through the doors
RJ: into the lobby? Into the lobby, dude. Can go
Jamie: and fly. Listen. There's not a lot of it's funny. When you come into that lobby, there's not a lot of room between that door and the counter.
Scott: Right. So this was, like, late at night and there was, like, no one else, like, in there, but still
Jamie: Can you imagine if somebody's walking by the And
Scott: someone just came flying out.
Jamie: Just got absolutely taken out
Scott: in
Jamie: the Holy shit. Yeah. That place is kind of like, I don't wanna say an institution, but if you're in our area and your kid has played ice hockey, chances are your kid skated there when he was very little.
Scott: Right. Just it's like kinda yeah.
Jamie: Totally. There's videos of Dominic there and Darvin, the kid who lives across the street from us, when they were, like, five.
Scott: Oh, really?
Jamie: Oh, yeah. Yeah. 100%. I mean I mean and and the Zamboni again, just to give you guys some context. The Zambonis, number one, deliveries on them, like the paint jobs Yeah. Are literally like old fighter jets from, like, World War two Yep. With have, like, the shark mouth. Like, that's the paint design on the Zamboni's, which are I even remember that. They're awesome, dude. I have pictures of them on my phone. Yeah. We'll stick them up on Instagram. Sure. Okay? We'll we'll put some stuff on Instagram so you guys can see what Fritz Dino looks like, those of you who don't know it. But not only that, there's Zamboni actually has a belt.
Scott: Belt that picks up the snow
Jamie: and That picks up the snow and drops it in the hopper. Yeah. It's like one of the original Zamboni's, probably from the fifties or, like you said, the forties. Right. This thing is a fucking antique. I mean, it belongs in, like, a museum.
Scott: And there's probably still parts in there. It's been shit. I wonder what it smell this probably smells awful in
Jamie: there. So I drove by the other day. So funny you said that. No. You did. Yeah. So Nathan and drove by it, then we were actually saying somebody bought it because the the, the mother died a while ago. The son had it and was there, but I think his his family that lives not in the area or there's two there are brother and sister that don't live in the area, so that the guy who ran it was at the front desk forever who was always sleeping. Yeah. Those of you who who who know I'm talking about, you'll probably be giggling right now. Totally forgot his name. Sorry, buddy. Forgot his name. But whatever it was, the guy he he would be sleeping at the counter. But I think he passed away.
Scott: He did.
Jamie: Right? And and I wanna say the other brother and sister sold it. Yep. Somebody bought it and is now trying to get out of it, I think.
Scott: Oh,
Jamie: really? I'm pretty sure, like, there's there's soil issue, like contaminated soil. I think it's a major issue.
Scott: Oh, no way.
Jamie: Oh, yeah. No. Somebody bought it. Somebody local bought it. And I think it's a major issue.
Scott: Like environmental hazard.
Jamie: Oh, I think it's a major, major issue.
Scott: Are you surprised? No. Because they did have, I think they did have, like, whatever, like, refrigerant system that was underneath the glycol or whatever they used. Like I think it's major issues. It's probably leaked and leaked.
Jamie: Oh, for a very long time. Do you remember the sign on the door that's been there for ever since Dominic started skating?
Scott: I don't.
Jamie: You remember it?
Scott: What is this?
Jamie: We don't have insurance. Skate at your own risk.
Scott: Oh. No. You remember that?
Jamie: No. We have no insurance? No. Plastered right down the front door.
Scott: Oh. Yeah. Okay. Well
Jamie: We have no insurance.
Scott: Bottom line up front. Listen.
Jamie: It was it was again, for those of you it's funny, you know, when you're a parent of kids in this game and and you travel around to all these rinks, you know, you remember some of them.
Scott: Some you'll never forget.
Jamie: This one is unforgettable. Unforgettable. I mean, the the 90 degree angle corners and the door to get into the lobby, the Zamboni, I mean, like, that is something that I mean, it's funny. You just travel around and you're in some interesting barns and that this one is a a a fucking doozy. Yeah.
Scott: R I R I P for its Diedel.
Jamie: Yes. R I p again, think it was they were trying to resurrect it.
Scott: And As a rink?
Jamie: I think so, buddy. The guy who bought it was trying to do something with it. He's a hockey dad.
Scott: Oh, there you
Jamie: He's a
Scott: hockey parent. Right.
Jamie: Local hockey parent. And I think that there were, like, just major problem. This is what I heard. I could be wrong. For those if if anybody knows the exact story, write us.
RJ: Yeah.
Jamie: But what I heard was that there were some major issues, like, with the ground. And the guy's like,
Scott: fuck I'm
Jamie: out of here. Right. Because listen The
Scott: cost to deal with it has gotta be astronomical.
Jamie: So when me and I were driving by the other day, we were saying we saw Keller Williams has it for sale.
Scott: Yeah. Yeah. Yeah.
Jamie: And, yeah. You saw the sign too? Yeah. Yeah. So I'm assuming that will turn into, like, commercial down low, residential above because there's, like, a house in the back too. It's pretty big. They own a bunch of buildings.
Scott: Yeah. The one next door to the other side of
Jamie: the Right. So I'm pretty sure that and and and if I'm telling you, the guy should put those Zambonis in a museum. They're fantastic looking. And again, the paint jobs on them, those old school, like, fighter jets with the shark mouth
Scott: Yeah.
Jamie: Yeah. Like, that that were, like, from, like, the the the World War two or World War one, wherever they're from, I mean, that's that's they're like relics.
Scott: It's pretty awesome.
Jamie: Yeah. It is pretty awesome. So, yeah. So there you go. So there's a little going to memory lane with you locals. And for the people that aren't from around here, I'm sure you've been in barns like that.
Scott: Yeah. I love you, actually. Send your send pictures of, like, the most memorable barn.
Jamie: That's a great idea. Send pictures of the most memorable barn. You know? Fritz Diedel's a tough one to compete with, man, because that's pretty legendary.
Scott: It is. We'll see what comes in.
Jamie: It'll be very interesting. I'm curious to see what comes in for, like, overseas or up in Canada.
Scott: Oh, yeah. I'm sure there's That classics.
Jamie: That should be interesting. Yeah. But yeah, man.
Scott: Alright, dude.
Jamie: Alright, buddy.
Scott: We call this a wrap.
Jamie: Yeah. Good episode.
Scott: Alright, dude. Likewise. Alright. Thank you to Topline RJ.
RJ: Yes.
Jamie: Pleasure. To Thank all
Scott: our listeners.
Jamie: Definitely keep downloading. Keep subscribing.
Scott: Subscribe. Everything. All the things.
Jamie: And we'll see you guys in the next episode.
Scott: All right. Take it easy. See you, buddy. Peace. Later.