Jeff: Hello, everyone. Welcome to Fragraphilia. This is Jeff.
Jane: And this is Jane.
Jeff: And we are living the high life with some perfumes lately.
Jane: Yeah. It's been a great few weeks of perfume wearing.
Jeff: It really has been. We missed last week. Big news going on in the in the family, or are you free to talk about that?
Jane: Yeah. I'm an aunt now. My sister gave birth last week, which was why we didn't record. Kind of crazy. It was a little stressful. Got a little touch and go there, but everyone's okay, and I got to hold a newborn baby all day.
Jeff: Yeah. Today, you you were over there the other day too, and you've made them a bunch of food. You've been a top tier aunt, I would say, Thank and you.
Jane: Well, I'm very excited to be one.
Jeff: Now when it comes to perfume, we had spoken about it in our last episode, but I had been wearing Poi Porcelain by Ophumim.
Jane: Because it it got here.
Jeff: And then it finally yeah. We were just I was talking about how I was I had a little sample at my desk for a while, put it on my hand, and I just fell in love with it. And then we ordered it. I ordered it during that episode and then it finally came in this beautiful porcelain vessel that I was able to get on a clearance from a New York City shop because it's made in Paris. I guess it's the brand is some kind of collaboration between ceramicists and ceramists? Ceramicists? Something like that, And perfumers, and they kind of create there's three perfumes as of right now. The one that we have, the Poi Pour Salon, which is as we mentioned in the last episode, it's like bay, Saint Thomas, mimosa, absolute, and myrrh. And it is this dusty, incensey, spicy. It's just it's hypnotic to me, and I just really love it. And you've been wearing it like crazy as well. There's, like, cinnamon in there.
Jane: Hold up. Back up. I do want to discuss the beauty of this scent, but you should talk about what happened when we opened the box. Yeah. Confusing. We've never encountered this before in
Jeff: our view. So when you receive it and I was worried about it because they're these very unique porcelain vessels or you can order them that way. You can order like the regular, like, smaller 30 ml, like, almost like canister of it. And then you can order the distinct 70 ml, which comes with this handmade or hand casted or just really unique porcelain vessel, which looks highly breakable. So I was curious about it coming and hoping that it would make it okay. You open it up in this nice little box and it's just full of all kinds of like like straw like paper and there's the vessel and it's like, okay, this, you know, beautiful, can't wait to wear it. Not sure how I'm gonna wear it. Not sure how it's sitting in this vessel. Open up the vessel, which has this like rubber stopper top. And then I'm trying to be so delicate and I get a little pipette because I can't quite see in there. I don't know if it's gonna be like a dabbing situation or anything, and then I stick the pipette in there and I, you know, give it a pump and nothing comes up, and I'm like, what the hell? And so I'm kinda just trying to I don't wanna like turn it upside down or anything. I can't tell if there's some kind of mechanism in there preventing it from spilling. And then I, you know, think for a second, this is a pretty big box. That's a lot of straw like packing. And then I realized there's a little canister buried at the bottom of all that, and but even then, it's like a wide mouth canister. It's like a
Jane: little silver flask.
Jeff: Yeah. Here's your perfume. So it's like, okay. Well, I guess I'm gonna have to, like, pour it in there, and it's so but It's
Jane: the first perfume we've ever had to decant.
Jeff: Yes. We always I mean, as surge heads, you would think we'd have one of their their little bell jars, but we we never have, and one day we will, I swear. But, yeah, so we're just kinda like decanting it in little three milliliter vials, and you gave one to your sister.
Jane: Yes. And because this perfume's been like a good luck charm.
Jeff: Yeah. It's just I'm so grateful that we I I bought it because it's now like they don't even have the old web page up anymore where I bought it, and I got it for a really good price. But normally, it's like almost 300. I don't know. But
Jane: It's kind of in the same family as two of my most worn fragrances, which is there's a little bit of l'astre to it, the kind of dusty sweetness. And then it's a little bit like Revde Ossian by Oriza Legrand because it's like a soft spicy bright incense.
Jeff: Mhmm.
Jane: It's sort of like myrrh and root beer. Like root beer or Doctor Pepper. It has that kind of vibe.
Jeff: Yeah. It just has this kind of, like, special spices and and some original formula that's probably kept secret. Probably not because I give the the notes on here, but it's
Jane: Aren't all perfume formula secret?
Jeff: Yeah. But it's the it's a weird, like, warming, comforting scent that is also kinda cool because of the dustiness and the it it's light and airy, but it lasts. I don't know. I put it on and it just kinda stays with me all day and and that's been a real solid find. We've been so enamored with that for a while. And then speaking of luck charms, not that you need it, but it also coincided with your most recent collection launch, which I don't know if we've been keeping tabs or records or anything like that, but probably the fastest sellout that you've ever had. I mean, it was so wildly successful and so many great messages, and that was a big deal.
Jane: Yeah. It was one minute. It was pretty much the best feeling ever.
Jeff: Yeah. And I know Very grateful. You worked as hard as I think I've ever seen you work on anything. You dove in. It was you really, really just put the work in for it. It was amazing to see. And they're big and just beautiful purp they're beautiful paintings.
Jane: Thank you. That means a lot to me.
Jeff: Well, and then, you know, we also stretched a canvas or really, you did. I just kinda was sitting around.
Jane: No. I have very weak arms. You provided the tension.
Jeff: Well, it's kinda cool to experience that just as a bystander because I see you in there, paintings mounted to the wall, your this is very physical work, paintings are big, and then you're, you know, they're just kind of loose canvas that you roll up and but we also want to test them out on on, you know, like with stretcher bars, that's what they're called, you know, those things terminology better than I do, but it was just kind of cool to see go through the entire motion and see it up on a wall and
Jane: Now we don't have a cool painting in our living room.
Jeff: Yes. That's the the downside of having a wife make awesome paintings and then you see them on a wall and then but they sell right away. He also sold a lot of prints.
Jane: Stop it.
Jeff: Now, another thing that graced us by way of mail is we received a little package from Josh Josh from Paraphrase Perfume. We speak about him all the time and he just reached out like a week or so ago and said, hey, I wanna send you guys something, get your thoughts, whatever. We didn't really know what was coming. Little bit closer to the ride, we we knew it was gonna be a vanilla perfume. Turns out his new perfume is called Vanilla Berthoud, comes out July 7, and we're in love.
Jane: It's a medieval themed vanilla.
Jeff: Yes.
Jane: What could be better?
Jeff: It's it the the copy is medieval vanilla, strange spices and rich breads, leather and warm bodies. It's all there. And I will just say when we opened up the package, you sprayed it on and your first reaction was, this is what I always wish baby cat would be.
Jane: Yeah. Because it's it's vanilla forward, but with so much more to offer. And to me, it immediately stole my heart because those kind of dried fruit notes, the sort of bready notes, and especially the spices kind of put it in the vernacular of some of those search luton fragrances that I love so much. And, I would put this firmly in probably my top three vanillas. You know, I think my favorite, like, vanilla releases are, like, vanilla Barka, this Lone Feline.
Jeff: Yeah.
Jane: So vanilla Virtue is a top three, and that's not ranked. I don't even know which one of those is my favorite.
Jeff: That'd be Vanilla Barker from Amouage, the Retard, and then L'unfeline by Atelier Dior's.
Jane: Yes. And then Vanilla Virtue by Paraphrase Perfumes, which I instantly, like, yeah, I like that much better than Lunfelene. So it's going to be really popular because it's an incredible vanilla, and I think if if you're interested in this, you should get a bottle now because I anticipate this selling out very quickly.
Jeff: Yeah. Everyone that I have spoken to or messaged with that has received it so far loves it as well. I could see it being maybe a little challenging or not challenging, but different than what some may expect that are part of just the constant deluge of vanilla releases over the last five, six years. This those spicy notes, the cumin, the the saffron, the nutmeg, it's all up at the top and it carries through. There's a much like the copy says, it's leather and warm bodies that's very much there. It's very smoky. Reminds me of Amber Scenton by Yes. Serge Luton's. It's that kind of just, you know, I've talked to you a couple times. It's kinda what I always hope all these vanilla perfumes that we always pay attention to and seem to always be disappointed with. But I think part of it is, as you were saying, it has so much more to offer that if vanilla wasn't even the name, I'm not even sure I would necessarily say this is a vanilla per to me, it's like a really spicy amber
Jane: Really? That
Jeff: that has that warmth.
Jane: Feel like the vanilla is really strong, but I get what you're saying.
Jeff: Yeah. I think sometimes our noses go a little different, you know, and that type of thing, but you well, you like it more in Lune Feline,
Jane: Yeah. Definitely. Yeah. And I think, like, with time, it could probably be a favorite. You know, that cumin. Yeah. That cumin goes crazy.
Jeff: We're known cumin lovers when it comes to perfume, and it really now that I'm thinking about because you do wear linfelene quite a bit, especially, like, at the end of the night, it's kind of a comfort scent to you, but it is a lot more thinner.
Jane: You think? I I think it's Yeah.
Jeff: Guess. It's a little bit more straightforward, a little bit more thinner. Like, vanilla verto to me has so much
Jane: more Syrupy.
Jeff: I think they
Jane: list molasses as a note. Yeah. And I I I feel that density, viscosity.
Jeff: I know that, like, oh, to Rosie had written because she saw that we posted something about it and said, did you get the bread note right away? And I didn't. You did, but I finally noticed it when you came in the office where we had the bottle, you sprayed it on and as you were walking away, huge bread note, but it's like hearth dark baked bread. It's not like a pastry or anything like that. It's it's like earthy.
Jane: Yeah. Like a a grainy medieval bread.
Jeff: A grainy medieval bread. But we'll be wearing that for a long time to come. Yeah. And like you said, like I said, I hope, but I think it's going to be a hit. So it's it's it's really, really good.
Jane: Check it out, especially if you're like us and you're skeptical of vanilla releases. You think you've seen them all, never smelled anything like this.
Jeff: Yeah. A plus. Great work, Josh. Moving on to other perfumes that we've been able to experience over the last week. I made a little sample order and I received quite a few. But there were three kind of old school perfumes that I was really excited about. And the first one is Clinique's Aromatics Elixir, which I I'm sure I've smelled it over the years, but I mean, it's been around forever. I'm sure it's been reformulated a thousand times, but damn, that's good. Mhmm. Have you even worn it?
Jane: No. I haven't. I just I've just been enjoying it on you. It's only been here, like, three days.
Jeff: Yeah. I don't know. I've been been wearing it quite a bit, but it is just kind of like everything but the kitchen sink sheep where it just it has everything, patchouli and oak moss and jasmine and all these kind of citruses up top.
Jane: And it's loud.
Jeff: It's loud.
Jane: You know, we talk about, like, modern fragrances being overbearing, but truly, I mean, Aromatics Elixir was dominating.
Jeff: Yeah. It really was. And it I don't know. It makes you it makes me walk around with a little swagger. It's just kinda reminds me a little bit of Elle by Arquiste. Mhmm. And I think to combat it the other day or to compliment it, you wore a
Jane: Yeah. You were we were watching TV and you were wearing aromatics elixir and I was like, okay. How can I be singing along with this?
Jeff: As we do when we watch TV late at night.
Jane: No. I mean, like perfume wise.
Jeff: No. I know. But, you know, we're we're bringing out the bangers for video streaming time.
Jane: I mean, where else are we gonna wear them?
Jeff: Exactly.
Jane: We're toddler trapped.
Jeff: But the other one was I had kind of a pre I guess, last couple reformulations. The gerlan, it was, I think, from the nineties of Mitsuko, which I've only ever really smelled in passing. I don't really my lack of knowledge of Gherlan would probably be disappointing to a lot of people expecting some kind of expertise from someone who has a podcast, but I've been wanting to just try it and it's nice. It's really I mean, these old school ones, they just they did it right. They put everything in there for one. It's just like it's a it's considered kind of like a sheep with some peach and some fruity elements. It's got some lilac. To me, it kind of gave a little bit of that iris leather tinge to it as well that really made it interesting. And it's it's bold, but not as loud as something like the aromax elixir. And but I really liked it.
Jane: And then you got YSL opium too. Yeah. Which was very nostalgic for me to smell because that's what my mom wore when I was a kid. And, yeah, smelled the same as ever.
Jeff: Yeah. And, again, I found like an older
Jane: Did you get a yeah. Got a
Jeff: vintage perfume. I think it's from the nineties. Yeah. And, which is fine. I mean, they were still probably Yeah. Probably a little loosey goosey with the regulations back then.
Jane: I don't know. It's like it's I never want to be somebody who gets into collecting, like, eighties perfume. That's awesome for people who want to do that, but I just don't care to do it.
Jeff: Yeah. I just wanted to see if I could remember it or if it could just, like, trigger, but I didn't have the association that that you did. My mom didn't wear YSL opium, but I remember it in the stores, and I was always intrigued by it. And, so it was nice to kinda sample that and wear it. And then, yeah, that's pretty much the the main ones. We've been sampling other stuff and enjoying just testing out stuff. Our dear friend Lisa, listener of the of the show and, someone we DM with frequently, brought up after we had mentioned, I think, a couple episodes back, few episodes back.
Jane: She was the one who alerted us that Oded
Jeff: Oh, was
Jane: I she?
Jeff: Believe. Well, I
Jane: I don't know many other girls who are super into that perfume.
Jeff: But that's, was it Eau de la Narcisse by Phozotic, which you love and wear quite frequently, has been discontinued. And she was wondering she loves it as well, and she was kind of debating whether or not to get a backup and because she would like to keep it around forever, but at the same time, you know, there's only so much perfume we can have and what would drive you, you know, it's like which perfumes qualify for that or and and I wonder what we do in those situations or if there's perfumes that we would wanna have backups on, especially if they were discontinued?
Jane: I think if I could get an Eau de la Narcisse backup, I would. Yeah. But I looked into it, doesn't seem particularly easy. No. It wasn't a wildly popular perfume. I think that's why they're discontinue it, probably along with the price of narcissists.
Jeff: Yeah.
Jane: Though it wasn't particularly narcissist forward. Anyway, I really despise this attitude where you get, you know, miserly about the things you enjoy. I think that's terrible. You know, I think that, you know, yeah, wear the fancy perfumes when you're watching TV at home. Wear the high heels to go pick up your kid at school, you know, if you don't have another opportunity to wear them and you wanna wear heels that day. But I also do know me and I'll be like, I would be devastated to get to the bottom of that bottle. So I hold this belief, but I know I won't act in accordance. I will use hoarding tendencies.
Jeff: What if you found out, like, Reb D'Ocean or L'Ostray? Now you do have a backup
Jane: Yeah.
Jeff: Bottle of L'Ostray.
Jane: I'd probably get, like, two bottles of Lustre.
Jeff: Yeah. Because you do kinda go through them quick.
Jane: Well, I would slow
Jeff: down. Yeah.
Jane: I would slow down for one. Oh, man. That would be so sad. What was the other one you mentioned? Oh, Revde Ossian.
Jeff: Yeah.
Jane: Oof. I don't like to think about that. But then it's like, I don't have huge dents in many of my perfume bottles because I switch it up every day.
Jeff: Yeah. I guess when you have as as many, but I'm trying to think of the ones that I wear all the time or regularly that I mean, we've often spoken about Baudelaire by Byredo, which I have a bottle of and we didn't have for a long time, but I've listener was kind enough to hook us up with one. And I do keep a search out for that, and I would love I wanna always have that because it rem as we've mentioned many, many times, it reminds me of early days dating with you, but I do genuinely love that perfume and it does just transport me to a place that I'd be really kinda sad if I couldn't smell every now and then.
Jane: It's kinda like our version of keeping your wedding cake in the freezer or whatever. Yeah. Yeah. But that one's different.
Jeff: But there's probably not many others because there should be I think it should be reserved. If I if I had to make a case for doing it, it would have to be in the sense of being tied to something truly, truly special, like the perfume you wore on your wedding day or, you know, when you were your child was born, which for me was seminar or for it was you that wore seminalis, Yes. Wasn't By Ordo Parisi.
Jane: Actually, like, haven't touched that in,
Jeff: like, a year. I'm not yeah. That's one we just don't bust out very often, or any Ordo Parisi. But, that would be my only sticking point, and I think that I don't really have to worry about it other than Baudelaire because most of the other ones are always in production. I think if, like, Fionagi or
Jane: Fianigui, the it's not the same. No. Yeah. It's really not the same perfume as when I first bought it when it was first released. Sorry.
Jeff: Yeah. As I was about to say Musk Kubikan, but it's like there's so many others that can kind of be close to that. Like even Kiehl's Musk is kind of close to it. There's a range and a frequency it doesn't hit, but it's it's similar. Yeah. So our feeling is, yeah, we probably wouldn't buy many backups of anything.
Jane: Yeah. Well, we'll be discovering great things all the time. That's the beautiful thing about perfume.
Jeff: That is the perfume. Let now determine what you want to smell like and and enjoy, and leave the past with the past. Now Totally. Speaking of the immediate past, what have you been wearing lately?
Jane: I wore odor 93 recently, you know, talking about trying to get around to everything in our collection. This is one I don't wear very much because it's a wild ride. But we were just hanging out. I was like, hey. Let me put this on. And it's such a strange fragrance.
Jeff: It really is.
Jane: Because it is like a deep, dark, beautiful tuberose. And sometimes it can smell almost classic. But then sometimes it is so freaky and weird that I am overwhelmed by it. And I was thinking it reminds me of like that drawing where if you look at it one way, it's like kind of this creepy old woman. Or if you look at it another way, it's like a beautiful young woman. It's kinda like that.
Jeff: And this is odor 93 by Mayo Fucciami.
Jane: Oh, I didn't say it yet. Odor 93 by Mayo Fucci
Jeff: Fucciami.
Jane: K. I don't trust your pronunciation.
Jeff: Well, no one ever should, but I'm
Jane: You have a little dyslexia when it comes to foreign names or English.
Jeff: Well, you know, that's part of the wild ride
Jane: of Makayla. Being I
Jeff: love that perfume so much. I was so excited when you wore it the other day, and it is a choice, like, when you just it's not it's fun to wear it in a casual kind of like, oh, I decided to just put on under 93 because it is like, yeah, you're you buckle up because you're gonna wear it and it's gonna wear you a little bit, but it's going to it to me, it's like it's really damp and cooling, so it's kinda nice during this time of year.
Jane: Yeah. It has like a very camphorous quality I to
Jeff: don't know if I'd wear it to like a restaurant on a Saturday night for date night, but maybe, I mean, we would probably, but
Jane: It's in your face.
Jeff: Yeah. Like, the people next to you are gonna get a good dose of odor ninety three, but when you were it the other day, it was like, oh yeah, now that's why don't we bust that out more and then, you know, because it's it's it's a big it's big time.
Jane: Oh, I also wore Luna Absolu by Sage and Salt, which is such a beautiful fragrance, very well balanced, and you'd think that it would be very heavy because it's like a woody rose with sandalwood, vetiver, and oud. But it has, like, a very transparent quality. And it's my studio has been really hot. I've been working on big paintings again and packing the paintings from my collection. And that's been a nice nice companion. Also, on Monday, I went out to dinner with a friend, and I wore Sycamore by Chanel.
Jeff: Yes. Love it.
Jane: Yeah. That's one actually, like, because Chanels are so expensive.
Jeff: Mhmm.
Jane: And Sycamore is so good. I don't wear that one as much as I should.
Jeff: Yeah. I go through phases where there's just something about it. They're very different perfumes, but it's like that. And what is the Bois Dormant by Oh. Dior.
Jane: Man, I'm I'm so so on that one.
Jeff: There's just something about the way that there there's a scratchiness to both of those that it's just like it it's I crave it. Mhmm. So when I wear either one of them, I love just like wearing them for a few days and living in them. And so when you put that on, it was like, man, what a perfect choice. It's so it's so good, and I haven't thought about it in a while or worn it in a while and reminded me why I loved it. So it was exciting when you wore it.
Jane: What have you been wearing?
Jeff: I have been wearing, from our sample samples from Parfums Dam Pier, I've been wearing the Mal Amay or Mal, which is such a weirdo perfume. It's like blackberry and thistle and fleabane and auris. It feels rosy at times. It feels powdery at times. It feels fougere y. It's a really interesting musky. It gets it's pretty damp at times. It's a really curious green, laurel, powdery perfume that when I'm wearing it, I just wanna keep wearing it so I can see how to, like, process it or interpret it because it's just I don't know if I'd own it, but there's a part of me that's like, I wanna own it. But I don't know how often I'd really wear it, but I really enjoyed wearing it for several days in a row. After that, I had a kind of a a fling with an old flame of Atlas Fever by Ex Nahilo, and it was just kind of, I don't know. I I still love some of their fragrances.
Jane: You're still an ex Nahilo boy after all
Jeff: of these Yeah. They're just kinda like, I don't know. There's just something like dumb and sweet about them. And it's just like, yeah, you know, you're gonna have a little bit of a good time. I'm not gonna take it too seriously, but it's I love how
Jane: It's when you feel like a Himbo.
Jeff: Yeah. It's that gaiac mixed with the tonka, so it's kind of like waxy and dense, but also powdery and smoky at the same time, and it's just kind of like it's a cool tonka fragrance that
Jane: There's like, kind of a baccarat y raspberry in there somewhere too.
Jeff: Yeah. It it but it has incense in it, so it's on that, it does just get kind of smoky and I feel like there's so many Tonka perfumes that are now, you know, kind of really vanilla type perfumes and they don't have very much oomph or interest to them. So it's just kind of like, oh, this is like a decadent, rich, kinda sweet, creamy, vanilla type of perfume and this one kinda goes in a different direction. It just is it's it's spicy and smoky and kinda cool. So I really loved wearing that. And then finally, Lost in Flowers by Strange Love. I put that on for a little bit. We I saw a little news coming from Scent Fest San Francisco, which just happened and that looked fun and seeing all the bottles and everybody going out there just like everybody was there, I guess. And it just looked like a really successful event. But I saw some people posting that Strangelove has kind of a Offset brand coming out soon. Oh. That's kind of an exploration of oud outside of what they would normally do. I don't know if they're like, you know, going through like fruity I don't really know that much about them. I saw a little glimpse of the bottles, they look cool. I believe it's called Off Script. I'm trying to get some more information about it.
Jane: This is huge for me. This is the first I'm hearing about it. I've had a crazy week, we haven't
Jeff: Yeah. Talked as much. She had Elizabeth, with Strange Elizabeth reached out, DMed us and mentioned that she heard about her pod, and so that was pretty awesome because we're big fans. We've talked about Strange Love on here quite a bit, and we love Lost in Flowers, so I had to kinda celebrate that by wearing it and, you know, we often talk about those in this one in particular of just those body high perfumes, and I'm still very much in my white florals. I'm still enjoying, especially kinda, even though the oud has got, you know, Indian oud in there, so it has a little bit of skankiness, but there's so many white. There's jasmine, tuberose, orange flower. There's even a little bit of cardamom and a little bit of oak moss, which gives it a little powder. So it's like the oud's there, and it gives it this oomph, but it's such a pretty, pretty white laurel, and it's just nice to wear.
Jane: Yeah. I'm I didn't hang out with you when you wore this.
Jeff: No. You've been, you know?
Jane: I'm sad that I missed out on this.
Jeff: Yeah. It was it was fleeting.
Jane: Hey. I have a question
Jeff: for you.
Jane: Yeah. Because you were talking about Atlas Fever and Tonka. Do you ever find that Tonka on its own or how it's commonly used in compositions has, like, a diaper wipe note.
Jeff: I wouldn't be surprised if diaper wipes use that.
Jane: Tonka? No way.
Jeff: It's No. That was fever. I think that was no. But, I would think there'd be tonka notes in something like diaper wipes or cleaning No.
Jane: Like, you think that a synthetic tonka molecule is, like, on the tip of every
Jeff: think they're all know,
Jane: the commercial perfumer's tongue. No.
Jeff: They're all in the perfume houses, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's
Jane: like No. Okay. So I'm actually not talking. I'm just talking about, like, tonka on its own, naturally.
Jeff: Oh, okay.
Jane: Oh. Because I misspoke. So I don't always know if I I love it.
Jeff: Really? Well
Jane: It's obviously it's in perfumes that I love, but it can wear me out.
Jeff: I kinda want to test this now because this is this is
Jane: It just splashed
Jeff: out. Is one of those things that could be it could end up, like, changing my view of my Himbo scent wearing Atlas fever walking around on the town, and then it's like, dude, somebody smells like diaper wipes on the face.
Jane: I think with any ex Nahilo,
Jeff: it's just like
Jane: toxic toxic European man.
Jeff: Yeah. But I well, if someone else has, because I'm sure someone out there will hear this and be like, yes. I know exactly. I don't know. Because there was there was something that I can't remember. There was one note that you used to always bring up, reminds you of something else, and there would always be people that were like, oh, yeah. I get that too, and I can't remember what that was.
Jane: Yeah. It's like a a baby powder butt wipe.
Jeff: Baby powder
Jane: butt wipe. Subtle. It's like just in the finish, but Yeah. It bothers me.
Jeff: Well, I'm glad you told me. I dialed back my tonkas. We don't really have that many tonkas. Do you find that though, going back? Like, I find that there's a lot of heliotrope perfumes that do use tonka.
Jane: Mhmm. Well, yeah, it has that kind of almond y Yeah. Quality, the kind of nutty qualities that tonka has.
Jeff: Do you notice it there with, like, perfumer heliotrope or something that
Jane: No. No. No. I would say it's in that family, but the heliotrope kind of finish of that is it's not the same. It doesn't wear me out.
Jeff: Can I tangent off into something that is non perfume related, but is kind of along these lines?
Jane: It's our podcast.
Jeff: It's our podcast. I noticed recently, as people may know, I like my laundry detergents, and I like doing my laundry, and, you know, I have a certain, you know, affinity for how my clothes smell when they come out of the wash and laundry.
Jane: He's a diva.
Jeff: And I've been living post diva. We haven't had diva for like six weeks, I'm just kinda sad, and I miss it. And the junk we got from Target recently was some kind of cedar flora, it's like, they might as well be unscented. I can't even smell it. Anyway, going back, I noticed a couple weeks ago that my clothes were kind of like, there's a there was something mineral minerally going on, mineralic, or just something that was like, this is off. It's not like mildew or anything like that. You know, we we take care of that kind of stuff. But it was just something that bugged me, and it would kept just it was it ended up on some it was like, you'd have to get real close to it, but it's on some of my favorite shirts. And then I realized a little later, it was my Necessaire deodorant and whatever that manalic or whatever they kind I don't know. Some kind of like mineral that they put in natural deodorants that kind of, you know, dries you out or, you know, fights odors and all that kind of stuff, but I could tell it ended up being that. And so anybody else that is having this issue like myself, there's like dirty lab solution. They're like a little powder and then, you know, stuff you use instead of using bleach where it kind of breaks down chemical stains and things that come from just minerals in the water and whatever else, deodorants, things like that. That took it away. That's good. It was like being in a science lab figuring that out.
Jane: Because I do know the smell that you're talking about, and I thought it was, like, so hot that it was getting kind of moldy or or mildewy, I mean, in our washing machine. Mhmm. But it was that.
Jeff: Yeah. As soon as I ran a laundry, I was just like, hey. This stuff's supposed to do something. And I put it in there, and it was all gone.
Jane: So you're desperate to find a new mineral
Jeff: I'm a I'm a big fan of Corpus.
Jane: Deodorant?
Jeff: Yeah. Corpus deodorant, I love a lot, and they have one called cedar that one is called cedar flora as well. The cedar that I was talking about in the laundry one, that's cedar something else is stupid. Anyway, but yeah. So I don't know. Just thought that would be a fun little story. So on to bigger and better things. You ready to play a game?
Jane: Yes.
Jeff: Alright. Let's do it.
Jane: I just sprayed Jeff his first scent from the game.
Jeff: It's kind of like dryer sheets and creamsicles.
Jane: Mm-mm. I see the creamsicle.
Jeff: Which is a very good thing. I mean, it's very like orange citrus rather than lemon, although it is really kind of bright and sharp in some areas too. It just feels a little like creamsicle, a little creamy. But the I don't know. It's like the the orange blossom ylang ylang ylang. I'm sorry.
Jane: And It does smell like ylang ylang.
Jeff: Yeah. It's getting stronger and stronger.
Jane: Okay. This surprised me because I literally just threw it in the game without smelling it because it's kind of looks like it would be a very classic cologne and this is not that at all.
Jeff: No. I mean, there's definitely some soapiness to it, and I feel like maybe there's jasmine. There's like a little bit of soapy, a little bit of floral.
Jane: The only floral that is listed is lavender Really? Which is I don't trust it.
Jeff: I mean, I guess, it definitely has an aromatic kind of floral aspect
Jane: It's a to little orange blossom.
Jeff: But to me, it's orange blossom, a little bit of maybe like lily in the lily of the ballet because it has kind of like a a mugginess to it. But I'm getting so much of those bright top citrus notes that I'm curious to where it would even land. It's like hitting in these bright areas and floral areas right now, and it's not a lot of base to it.
Jane: Do you like it?
Jeff: I do. It feels very fresh and clean and it, to me, this is an errand, an errand perfume. Yeah, You that put it on during the day when I go to the grocery store, I'm gonna put this on. Yeah. I really like it. It's very classy.
Jane: I threw it in because on paper it seemed like something that you would love, but I can see now it's like, it's good, but not for you.
Jeff: Yeah. It's a little too citrus. It's a little too bright.
Jane: Floral. Like, it is so floral.
Jeff: Yeah. It's it's stinging my nose a little bit.
Jane: Yeah. This is surprisingly over the top. For something that has, like, a bottle that the bottle looks like your most classic turn of the century Cologne, and it's a heritage revival brand. This is a la rain de fleur by LT Pive.
Jeff: Oh, yeah. We, I think, use this we smelled this or maybe I think I used this in the game last week or last episode.
Jane: No. You did heliotrope.
Jeff: Oh, okay. Oh, that's right. Okay. Yeah. Man, where did I get this from? Yeah. It's okay. It's
Jane: I don't think it's really good.
Jeff: Yeah. Just
Jane: not what I expected it would be.
Jeff: It's really strong.
Jane: Didn't Weirdly strong.
Jeff: Yeah. It's it's normally, these type are a little bit more, like, aftershave y, you know, it's really dense, like
Jane: It's kinda flirtatious.
Jeff: Yeah. Do you you like it,
Jane: It's very, like, feminine.
Jeff: Oh.
Jane: I wanna show you the bottle because you'll be like, these things don't make sense together. Yeah. Yeah. Please look. If you're following along, just take a second to Google a la Rain Defleur by LT Pivet. Look at the bottle. You would never guess that you would think it was like a classic freshy cologne. Yeah. Even, like, the juice looks blue? What the hell?
Jeff: I mean, I'm not hating it. That's for sure. It's very nice in this kinda, like, hot weather. What are you thinking?
Jane: I can't believe we forgot to talk about the Corinne Whiteveld fragrances.
Jeff: Well, I figured we'd probably save that a little bit only because they're so good.
Jane: Okay. Sorry. This is me like
Jeff: You're having a moment?
Jane: I I just, like, remembered that we spent a long time thinking about Corinne White Veldt fragrances last night, and we didn't even talk about it at the top of the show.
Jeff: Yeah. I kind of
Jane: yeah. Well, stay tuned.
Jeff: Yeah. We have the
Jane: Watch this space.
Jeff: Yeah. We had some samples in, and that is definitely I didn't want to I feel like we like them so much that they kinda deserve their own little chunk of a of a of an episode. So I figured next episode, probably
Jane: love letter.
Jeff: Yeah. Because as you said, she has flawless taste, so
Jane: She does. Vogue Paris never looked better than under her direction.
Jeff: I, yeah. I'm I don't know. I'm I'm kinda liking this more and more now. Alright. I'm gonna put this away. I'm gonna give you your first one. I'm gonna return to it as we do our usual roundup at the end of the ones we like because it's it's getting more and more appealing to me. Okay. Yours. I've just sprayed Jane's first perfume of the game.
Jane: This is very strange. It's green, bitter, kind of mentholated, kind of dry and powdery. It's a little bit of tobacco. Yeah. It's a it's a witchy grandpa smell.
Jeff: That would be yeah. Yeah. I will say it was originally, released in 1978.
Jane: I like it a lot. I think that this is one I would really enjoy wearing. I crave bitter smells Yeah. Very often. Yeah. It's, you know, it's kind of in the in, you know, if I was organizing my perfume collection by mood and I had a bottle of this, I would put it next to that mask Milano what the fuck am I talking about?
Jeff: Ramanza?
Jane: Ramanza. I would put next to Ramanza. Yeah. Not that they're similar, but they're like
Jeff: Yeah. I I I get what you're putting down.
Jane: Thank you. Yeah. I like it a lot. It smells old, smells vintage.
Jeff: Yeah. It's, you know, again, kind of these older vintage perfumes, they put everything in it. So it's pine, galvanum, basil, watercress, lavender, mint, artisan
Jane: Artemisia.
Jeff: Artemisia. Thank you. Oak moss, patchouli, historium, woody notes, incense, musk.
Jane: I'm not surprised this is a kitchen sink
Jeff: Yeah.
Jane: Patchouli bitter green herbal fragrance.
Jeff: Do you find it, you know is it formal to you or is it everyday wear or No.
Jane: This would be it smells so, like, retro, like, if you were in LA in the seventies and you went to someone's fancy house up in the hills and you were sitting in their conversation pit, that's that's kind of the vibe.
Jeff: Yeah. So it is Yatagan by Karan. What? Karan, the famous, Karan? Karan? The c
Jane: a r o n.
Jeff: Okay. Yeah. The the famous old Parisian house. Yes. Okay. And I guess that is the sharp curved Turkish sable or saber. And, you know, lots of
Jane: Sable. A beautiful fur. It smells like it could be that too.
Jeff: Yeah. Lots of, you know
Jane: I think this would be really this would be really sexy on a guy. Yeah. Or on a girl. I mean, I would totally wear this.
Jeff: The same perfumer, Vincent Marcello, made the famous Halston z 14 as well, and, so it's just
Jane: Love it. Wouldn't be surprised if that is my top pick tonight. Oh. Thank you.
Jeff: Alright. Very cool. Good. I've been I've been excited to try that. I haven't really I don't think I've ever smelled it, so that was kind of exciting to give that one a go. Alright. I'm ready for my second one.
Jane: I've just sprayed Jeff his second scent from the game.
Jeff: I don't know if I'm influenced by the fact of you sprayed it, smelled it, and why you were handing it to me kinda like winced a little. So now I'm kind of like, I
Jane: I think I'm into it. It has a weird opening. It was just after I sprayed it.
Jeff: It's watery. It has some kind of, like, almost seaweed, ambergris, beachiness to it. It's also kinda sweet and
Jane: It's very sweet in
Jeff: a way
Jane: that I don't think I particularly like
Jeff: I think it would wear me out real quick and it kind of already is. Is there patchouli in there as well? I feel like there's like quite a bit of patchouli that's kind of drowned in all these other like watery aquatic notes that makes me wish it was more patchouli. There's some green notes to it, a little bit of saltiness. You know, this is just not my my style of perfume.
Jane: Honestly, I haven't really smelled anything like this before, so I will give them credit for originality.
Jeff: There's a little buttery note to it. I don't know if I can butter is not the right note. It's just kind of, like, there's something, like you I don't know. There's just something kinda oily or
Jane: An oily and musty, but also watery and green? It's very strange.
Jeff: I don't dislike it, but it's just not something I probably wouldn't wear it. I will say, like
Jane: It's not a perfume. It's a smell.
Jeff: There you go. But it's also one of those things that now as I'm maybe I'd like it later because I'm starting to get a little bit more of that patchouli and it's like, okay, it's making it more favorable. It still just has that kind of that that synthetic woody ness to it that's not complemented well by other things that softened it.
Jane: I'm gonna say this, it doesn't feel finished.
Jeff: No. It feels kinda like it's, you know, for me, sometimes when something's too sweet or not hitting, it's like I feel it in my jaw a little bit. And it's like it's clenching my jaw.
Jane: Jeff's a perfume empath.
Jeff: Yes. Yeah. And it's telling me to be be wary of this person. Steer clear.
Jane: Violet leaf has, like, bad energies to me. Can I say that? Like, I'm always on Yeah. Guard with violet
Jeff: This just has some things in it that are clashing for me that I it there's a greenness to it. There's a wateriness to it. There's a nice, like, there are some earthy patchouli woody notes that are like, okay, that's more what I want, but it's just distracted by all these other watery
Jane: It's very watery. Yeah. It doesn't really make sense because the base notes are, like, really
Jeff: What are the notes?
Jane: Okay. Violet leaf, divana, Phreesia, narcissus, narcissus, I guess, lavage, cystus, saltacord, dates, oak wood, opopenax, vetiver, patchouli, and cedar atlas.
Jeff: Okay. That that dates and the opopenax is that's the sweetness base that's, like, struggling to deal with everything else. It does. The cedar's definitely there, but it's, like, it's real, real sharp.
Jane: Let's try to make sense of this fragrance through the perfumes website.
Jeff: Okay.
Jane: They describe it as a macabre fantasy of decadent shadows and drama, unfolding from a fresh salty breeze to the deep dark underwater with blurry black tones, exuberant flora, and a binding touch of wood.
Jeff: When was it made?
Jane: I don't know. Recently, it's a very new brand.
Jeff: Is are there em dashes in that copy?
Jane: No. No kidding. Right? Okay. Who is Mark Buxton.
Jeff: Sorry. I like Mark Buxton too.
Jane: Sorry, Mark.
Jeff: Yeah. I really
Jane: like his group. Is Dead Air by Oddity.
Jeff: Yeah. Okay. There was one of the we received several samples from Oddity, ordered them, and there was one that I really liked. It's not that one, but, yeah, dead air is a good way to put it.
Jane: Yeah. I mean, maybe maybe they nailed the brief.
Jeff: It's I think if it would've I don't know. I feel like it's trying to do too many things. Like, if it would've maybe dialed in kind of some of the wateriness of it and and maybe I don't know. It it it does kind of feel like a Mark Buxton perfume because he kind of, like, goes a little crazy and a little hard on things and
Jane: What what else has he done that I would be
Jeff: familiar He is a British perfumer that does a lot of kinda he reminds me a little bit of Antoine Lee. So he works with indie houses and niche houses. He's very accomplished. He does a lot of I'm trying to think of the name of the brand. They have, like, Love Exposure and The Lobster. It's a lot of film references. Oh, rabbit? Yeah. Moth and rabbit. Yeah. Yeah. He does a lot of those, but he's been around for a really long time. He's he's done a lot of perfumes, and I usually like him because he does get a little bit, you know, he's trying to do something different, and I appreciate that. I could live without this though.
Jane: Me too.
Jeff: Yeah. Alright. Well, I have just handed over Jane's second perfume.
Jane: This is cool. It's subtle. Very subtle, but it's starting to reveal itself more. And it feels like an incensey woody rose, peppery and spicy, kind of, you know, it was a temperature. It'd be like 40 degrees, kind of on the cooler side, but earthy, grounded. Feels like a Comme de Garcon incense territory, but I don't know. It's just so subtle and nice.
Jeff: It feels like the Comme de Garcon collaborations with Monocle, some of those perfumes Mhmm. Where it's just kinda yeah.
Jane: Is this, like, an American brand?
Jeff: No.
Jane: Yeah. I'm kinda curious where this comes from because
Jeff: It's 2016 composition. I'm
Jane: into it. I really like this. There's something about it that smells like something in my childhood. It smells like being at my aunt Sydney's house.
Jeff: It's a it's a perfume that we've tried before in a shop that you really liked.
Jane: Really? Yeah. Okay. Well, I'm not surprised because I I really like this.
Jeff: It's got bergamot, grapefruit, lavender, mandarin, pine needle, tree moss, vetiver, amber, and sea moss.
Jane: Oh, cool. I wouldn't I wouldn't have guessed all of those, like, bright notes.
Jeff: I wore this the other day and it was mainly because I ordered a sample because we liked it so much when we tried it and I couldn't remember why. And I wanted to just see like if it was one of those moments, you know how it is, sometimes you get in a store and you're like trying stuff and you're excited and you try one and it's like, oh, that's really good, and then you start getting the spinsies and and all of a sudden, something looks really, really you know, smells really, really good, and it's
Jane: Well, like I think we would not have regretted this, but I want to say that is it is it Rosu? Is that the ESOP perfume that represents the life cycles of a rose?
Jeff: Yes.
Jane: This reminds me of that with its damp, soily mineral qualities.
Jeff: Oh, I get that. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Like, if you take away the the heavy rose dose of rose soup.
Jane: Would be like it would smell a lot like that perfume, actually.
Jeff: Yeah.
Jane: Yeah. I really like it. What is this?
Jeff: It's Moss by Perfumer H. Oh. Yeah.
Jane: Yes. Oh, we we really did almost Yeah. All really did have the spinsies.
Jeff: They're
Jane: just done it.
Jeff: There were they are. When I look back, we ended up buying Silifam by Sorosuguin, which I do not regret. You know, like Gosh. Can I blame the Americanos?
Jane: No. No. They're very low ABV.
Jeff: Yeah. That's true. Yeah. We bought that one from Storis Googen, which we love, and I have no regrets of that. And then we bought Boswellia.
Jane: Boswellia Scotia, which actually I wore a lot in
Jeff: the last Yeah. You you have worn that.
Jane: Love it every time I wear it.
Jeff: I do. I love it. Yeah. Speaking of, you know, going back to that last one, Oddity, I think that Boswellia Scotia, they do that kind of, like, synthetic cedar. They do it it's so well done. And this is what hap you know, the dead air one is kind of like when you waste it.
Jane: Mhmm.
Jeff: And, but I've often wished, like, maybe one of us would've went with moss instead.
Jane: Yeah. Now I I am kind of oh, well.
Jeff: But I think we were also still thinking we were gonna get the heliotrope, which we will.
Jane: This is insane. This is ridiculous.
Jeff: We need to
Jane: drive ourselves out there this weekend
Jeff: thing to get it. Even It better. Like, I wore it the other day, and it just kept coming to me in waves and different, like, iterations of it. Like, it started getting more like, at the beginning, it's so bright and kinda woody and mossy, and then it gets real piney and mossy. The moss is always there, and then it gets kind of vetiver. And it's like, god, this is this is the best. I love this.
Jane: Do they have this at, the bookstore at
Jeff: No. They have it at the KD Beale
Jane: Okay. Shop. That's good to know. Yeah. The reason we haven't bought Heliotrope by Perfumer h, even though we've gone in there several times, is because our son is in love with this older gentleman who works there and tells jokes every time you walk in.
Jeff: Yes.
Jane: So he immediately starts trying to show off a lot for this man that he thinks is the coolest person ever. And, it's it's really hard to keep him from knocking over expensive items in the store.
Jeff: Yeah. So we always have to get him back to the children's section so we can get a book and keep him kinda but it is it's precious and crazy to deal with at times, but it's so precious to see your child when he knows he's going to the bookstore. He knows he's gonna see the joke guy, which he calls the joke guy, and he starts practicing the jokes the joke guy has given him before, and he's ready for this moment. And then he sees the joke guy, and all he can do is walk up to the joke guy and just, like, smile and grin, and then he tries to tell a joke, which I will tell one now, and that is, what did the banana say to the doctor? I'm not feeling well. Now when Henry, who knows this joke front and back and has said it a thousand times, gets there, it's always like, banana doctor? And that's it. And it's just like he just like He's practicing
Jane: in the whole like forty minute car drive to get there.
Jeff: Yeah. So each time we think, oh, we're gonna get heliotrope, and then something along the lines where we're just like, well, we'll just get it next time because we gotta get him out of here or if a stalking claim gets filed. But, yes. Moss anyway, so we were looking at Moss at that time and I think that's why we didn't buy it because it was like, we already have a perfumer h that's on the want list. Let's hold back, but it's really so good. It
Jane: incredible. Obviously, this is gonna be my favorite of the night. If you can still impress me more than this one, I will be so shocked.
Jeff: I well, I yeah. I probably won't, but I will also say that, and I wanna talk about this, I almost wrote this down for the show notes, but we did finally get Rose with Insect, which was one of our leading candidates for blind buy from perfume rage.
Jane: Yes.
Jeff: And then we were thinking like, oh, you know, it's like it had the kind of the right notes and write up that we're like, well, we would like it, I'm sure. But it's like we kinda already have, you know, various rose, you know, just styles of rose perfumes, but it did not disappoint. We would not have been disappointed It with was flawless. It's very good. We'll talk
Jane: about it. Want it.
Jeff: Yeah. Yeah. We'll talk about it again, but it is not very rosy. It is there is rose and it's very watery in a great way and there's just, man.
Jane: I'm picky about perfume names. One of my favorite perfume names I've encountered in a while.
Jeff: Yeah. I don't know if it I keep seeing it as mentioned as a limited edition, so we'll have to keep an eye on that. There's a candle too and incense, but I am sold. I am a I don't know. I'm a homer for perfumer age. Don't think it's a coincidence. Anyway. Alright.
Jane: Your last
Jeff: Third and final one. Yeah.
Jane: I have just sprayed Jeff his final scent of the game.
Jeff: I don't know how I feel about it just yet. I feel like this is one that I smelled a while ago or years ago. Is it old enough to be years ago? No. Oh. It smells like something I would have smelled in like 2021 and would have been like, oh, this is amazing. Yeah? And I like it. There is this scratch and sniff chocolate note from the scratch and sniff stickers that's in the base somewhere. I kinda like it. I Did don't you
Jane: talk about this scratch and sniff phenomenon before? Yeah.
Jeff: Are you you're from a I'm not aging myself there, am I? They had scratches.
Jane: They did.
Jeff: Okay. They were probably less toxic in your day, but wow. I kinda like it. I would never want this or wanna wear it necessarily, but I'm kind of enjoying this, so
Jane: Yeah. It's probably more me.
Jeff: There's an there's also kind of a note in there. I don't know what it would be. Maybe when you list them out, I point it out, but there's something in there I don't like.
Jane: I didn't bring my a game to the game tonight and that's because, like, we've gone through so many of our samples in the game already. Yeah. And I need to pick my own to surprise you. Let me do that.
Jeff: Yeah. We have a spoiler alert. I'm working on some special projects for our website with the podcast.
Jane: It is so sick. Please stay tuned for this.
Jeff: Probably a couple weeks, maybe a month away, but I think we've done over 300 and some perfumes in the game.
Jane: Yeah. Yeah. I believe it.
Jeff: But this one particular perfume in the game has something I don't care for. Can you give me the note list?
Jane: So okay. Here it comes. Bitter orange, rosewood leaf, cardamom, patchouli, sandalwood, tobacco, leather, tonka, and vanilla.
Jeff: Not smelling diaper wipes.
Jane: A little bit. I do get it.
Jeff: It's gotta be some kind of it's gotta be a combo of the vanilla and maybe the rosewood leaf. I don't know. There's something in there that's just
Jane: You're never a big sandalwood guy. I will say
Jeff: that. The
Jane: what? Sandalwood guy.
Jeff: Yeah. It could be that just combination of those three.
Jane: Do you like it for me? Because I love this.
Jeff: You love it?
Jane: Yeah. Actually, like, I put it in the game because I was thinking about buying it.
Jeff: Oh, okay. I mean
Jane: Do you support me or not?
Jeff: I I would totally like you to wear this. Yeah. Sometimes I
Jane: You should see this website Jeff's building for Fragraphilia. Fragraphilia is going to have the coolest perfume website on the Internet.
Jeff: Alright. Well, let's dial it back a little bit. Appreciate It's incredible. It this is I don't know how to this isn't right because it doesn't have, like, the the absinthe or antiseed, but there's something licorice y about this.
Jane: Yeah. That's probably why I like it.
Jeff: That is exactly why I think you like it. Yeah. There's something licorice y there.
Jane: You know, Dagaje by Dagaje.
Jeff: Dagaje.
Jane: Dagaje.
Jeff: Oh. Why is
Jane: it like I love this perfume brand?
Jeff: Oh. Oh. Oh. Yeah. By La Curie. Thank you.
Jane: Yeah. That's that's an bitter orange sandalwood fragrance that I wore to death last year, and it's, like, one of my favorites. And I feel like this is like that, but a little bit different. And I like that it's like a reiteration of something I already know and love.
Jeff: I would say this is now starting to to move into the vanilla base. Mhmm. And it's toned down that quality that I didn't love at first. And, yeah, I support you. What year did this come out?
Jane: I try not to go to the website that tells I don't even know if they have a page on there, but it's, this is Rising Sun by right of way.
Jeff: Oh. Oh, yeah. Smell that you're like, you smelled
Jane: it years ago. It's like, you smelled it like
Jeff: A week ago.
Jane: A lot of things
Jeff: have Yeah. I support you getting this, and I support you supporting that brand. Yeah. Because they were kind enough to send us that was it waterfall?
Jane: Yes.
Jeff: Love that perfume. And I want the other one. Not
Jane: Oh, Outer Realms?
Jeff: Outer Realms.
Jane: See, we're reversed because that one was like, meh. Is the one I fell for.
Jeff: I think we just support them across the board
Jane: because,
Jeff: yeah, I'm getting the tobacco as so here's what it is. Is there a tobacco? You mentioned
Jane: tobacco. Yeah.
Jeff: Tobacco sometimes, when it comes in heavy in the mid, sometimes it smells like a certain kind of air freshener that I remember from just the nineties. And I don't know what it is, I can't pinpoint it, but it's something that I used to really dislike in people's cars.
Jane: I I think I know exactly what
Jeff: you're talking about and And
Jane: I can see it.
Jeff: And sometime I think it's just sometimes it could be dialed up, but once tobacco rests and you get more of, like, the leaf woodiness of a tobacco note, that's a much better experience. And, I wish I could rattle off some because there are a lot of perfumes that do tobacco really well. And now this has settled down into the more vanilla, kinda woody, the sandalwood is sandalwood's the one that can be kinda messy for me, but now that it's kinda settled into
Jane: Sandalwood is abused?
Jeff: Yeah. Yeah. So yeah. No. I totally support you.
Jane: Thank you.
Jeff: Man, we're we're doing some, you know, there's a lot of new brands that have been brought to our attention recently that are really just kinda winning my heart, so
Jane: Yes. Yes. Which is really great because there's some real stinkers too.
Jeff: Yes. Okay. Your last one.
Jane: Oh, I still have one. Nice.
Jeff: I have just sprayed Jane's final perfume. Hit me.
Jane: I love it. It's like overwhelming, beautiful, old fashioned white florals. Maybe like a creamy, musky base. It's nothing complicated. It's not a challenging composition. It's pretty classic white florals, kind of in that soapy old fashioned way. I've smelled stuff like this before. I will never get tired of smelling stuff like this.
Jeff: Especially that one.
Jane: It's really, really good. And I can tell, like, it's, like, raw ingredient wise, like, they're using something of very high quality. So, yeah, I I love it. It's not complicated, and that's okay when it's this good.
Jeff: It's kind of an all time wantless fate for you.
Jane: Oh, really?
Jeff: There's gardenia, plum, tuberose, carnation, honey, and rosewood.
Jane: Jeez. I know what you're talking about.
Jeff: I know you know what I'm talking about. You're gonna kick yourself when I tell you what it is.
Jane: My brain.
Jeff: Is so Oh, much going
Jane: wait. Hey, is this Casablanca Lily? Yep. Damn.
Jeff: Or your old friend of the want list.
Jane: Always teasing me.
Jeff: I mean,
Jane: That's really good.
Jeff: I I want to
Jane: It's like nice and subtly warm and spicy and sexy in the base. It feels retro.
Jeff: I feel like I've smelled the new one in the bigger bottle, but I want the old one. I want that one.
Jane: Yeah, well, we're not gonna support Biretto directly, so if I wanted this, we would
Jeff: could be find this. We could find this.
Jane: Yeah, I'm I'm sorry. It's really good. I really
Jeff: like it. We've always that's always one that we're like, oh, man. Why do we buy this one instead of that one?
Jane: You know, it's really difficult because you've given me Moss by Perfumer H, and you've given me this. And, you know, I was like, these are both pretty high on the want list.
Jeff: You're such a sucker for the the classic, like, straight white floral. Yeah. It's just and I am too, like, smelling knowing what I've been I've been such a white floral guy for the past four months, that it's just when I smelled
Jane: That you're mister Carnal Flower.
Jeff: When you when that sample showed up on your counter, and I was like, oh my god, I can't believe I forgot about that, and then I smelled it, I was like, oh, where have you been, my dear? You know, it's like, geez, I miss this so much. It's so good.
Jane: There's something like 90 shampoo going on?
Jeff: Oh, totally. That I Yeah. It feels, it even feels sudsy. Feel like my hair's getting softer. I
Jane: I'm sorry, perfumer H. A. S, you are perfect and beautiful, but I'm coming for the blonde with big boobs. Yeah. It's obvious.
Jeff: That's your choice. That's your favorite
Jane: of the I'm sorry.
Jeff: I'm such a mark.
Jane: I'm such a mark.
Jeff: I put that in just to be kinda cheeky. Just to like, oh, she'll know this right away and of course she's gonna like it, but, yeah. Wow.
Jane: Okay. Can you revisit a la Rain Difleur?
Jeff: Yes. I mean, I like it because it is giving me that that dryer sheet kind of white floral with a with a nice bound. Now, the citrus has died down and it's kind of, like, almost gone to just kind of keeps it a little bright instead of just being perfumey and and kind of, like yeah. It smells like old Downey bounce sheets and but I love I love that. That is not a critique by any of that. I love a perfume like this. I wish it had a little bit more woodiness to it.
Jane: To give it something. Missing some grounding qualities. Yeah. Which I feel like if it leaned more into that cologne profile, it could land it, but it's kind of in this middling area. Sorry I didn't bring the A game
Jeff: with What's the second one again? Is that the Buxton?
Jane: The second one was dead air.
Jeff: I kinda like it now.
Jane: Yeah? Can I smell it?
Jeff: Yeah. Now that it's the air's died down a little bit on it.
Jane: Yeah, actually.
Jeff: Yeah, it's a little nicer.
Jane: Hey, I don't know why I have Aesop on the brain. What's like their aquatic pirate fragrance?
Jeff: Oh, god, yeah.
Jane: It's a little bit like that.
Jeff: Miracetti? Is that
Jane: Yeah, yeah. That's that's what I'm talking about.
Jeff: Yeah. It's it's kinda nice. I think my favorite I mean, if I had to pick a favorite of yours, it would be the De La Raine.
Jane: Okay.
Jeff: I think I'm gonna man, do I pick moss over possible I think I would wear
Jane: I don't know. I would wear moss more.
Jeff: I would probably wear moss more, but there's a part of me that loves those old Night Veils bottles and I know. Little tiny ones, and I love Casablanca Lily.
Jane: Casablanca still last night
Jeff: Yeah.
Jane: Or at least the first thirty minutes.
Jeff: And I love I still love rain rain de nuit. I wish we had that, and that's the one that that's actually been discontinued, so
Jane: Yeah. Do you prefer rain de la nuit or Casablanca lily?
Jeff: Well, that's a good question. I would have to smell rain I think if you ask me right now, I'd say Casablanca Lily. If you ask me in December, I would probably say Rain de L'Oui.
Jane: If anyone has a bottle of Rain de Nois or Casablanca Lily, they want to trade for a basically untouched bottle of Vinny Antique, hit us up. We'll make it happen. I do not like that fragrance and I don't know why I own it.
Jeff: Yeah.
Jane: You pressured me to, like, buy something for myself when we were at the mall one day.
Jeff: And I thought you were gonna buy Casablanca Lily. Why did I not?
Jane: Sometimes I do things, like, I cut off my nose to spite my face. I don't know. What is that?
Jeff: Yeah. You know?
Jane: I don't like that fragrance at all.
Jeff: Yeah. I think that was also kind of like at the moment where we were really turning on those type of perfumes, like those kind of, like, big bomb vanilla, and yeah, I don't know why. Oh, well.
Jane: Oh, well. That was fun.
Jeff: Somebody's gonna come through for us and wanna make a trade, But, well, that's it. So your winner is Casablanca Lily.
Jane: Or you could we'll trade basically anything for Vanilla and tea. Just kidding. Okay. Yeah. Casablanca Lily, I don't know. It's a tie.
Jeff: It's a tie. I'm gonna I'm gonna go moss.
Jane: Yeah. I can't be seduced by the obviousness of white florals. I think moss is more subtle, but its qualities are ones I would ultimately appreciate more.
Jeff: I think moss gives you more of a full experience.
Jane: Like Yeah.
Jeff: You're gonna enjoy it at the top. As you wear it throughout the day, you're gonna get different things. Casablanca Lily is going to smell like Casablanca Lily from top to bottom.
Jane: That's right. And that's That's exactly right.
Jeff: That is you are going for a white floral soapy perfumey perfume that Yeah. Is That's all it's ever going to be.
Jane: And it's bombastic And it's bombastic. Divalicious Yeah. Where moss is like introspective and it won't reveal itself until twelve hours in.
Jeff: Yeah. Okay. Well, we will talk to you all next time.
Jane: That was fun.
Jeff: Thank you and thank you to Lisa for giving us a good question.
Jane: Thank you to everyone who listens to this
Jeff: you to Josh for that amazing Vanilla Vertu.
Jane: Everyone, check out Vanilla Vertu. You should probably get a bottle because I anticipate him selling out quickly.
Jeff: Yeah. Alright. Till next time.
Jane: Bye.
Jeff: Bye.