Junior to Senior with David Guttman
TJ and David talk about things you must expect in an interview, setting yourself apart as a junior developer, demystifying job postings, and emphasizing the soft skills you already have.
- Take advantage of your soft skills
- Spot job postings scams
- Mandatory things to expect in an interview
- Apply to roles above your skill level
- Set yourself apart as a junior developer
- In the first line [tell me about yourself question], have something that grabs their attention. - TJ
- You're making these assumptions without actually putting yourself out there and giving yourself a chance. - TJ
- What the companies don't do is they don't tell job seekers that, we're actually only expecting you to have experience with 30 to 50% of this stuff. - TJ
- Statistically, you actually only need to hit 50% of the requirements on the job description. - TJ
- One of the biggest mistakes entry-level people do is they fall into the practice problem loop. - TJ
- One of my favorite groups for students to go to is Hack for LA. - TJ
- One of my favorite questions to wrap up an interview is...do you have any hesitations about moving forward with me. - TJ
What is Junior to Senior with David Guttman?
A weekly show for ambitious devs who want to take their career to the next level.