Dave (GM): Hello and welcome to Tales of the Old West, New Mexico. Alright. I would say it's episode 7, but it's gonna be many more episodes than that. This is this is adventure 7. And, let's just start by introducing the cast and, well, cast and crew of the show. I'm Dave, and I'm the GM.
Marion Freeman: I'm Matthew, and I'm Marian Freeman. What's going on? Marion is, of mixed race and is, the majority shareholder, I think, in, our, horse
Nathaniel Horecock: Ranch.
Marion Freeman: Reeling business.
Dave (GM): Horse shop That's his.
Marion Freeman: Horse shop.
Jimmy Harlesden: Yeah. The Freeman Halsden horse shop.
Nathaniel Horecock: Andy. What? Oh, sorry.
Jimmy Harlesden: Be able to breathe.
Dave (GM): Yeah. Yeah.
Jimmy Harlesden: Andy, you
Dave (GM): have permission to breathe.
Nathaniel Horecock: To breathe. Thank you. Oh, I'm Nathaniel Hawcock, part time, rancher, and now the part time sheriff. What's the place called again? You're in Arnott's Springs. You're in Arnott Springs. Yes.
Dave (GM): Cool.
Nathaniel Horecock: Yep. For the
Dave (GM): show, though, you ain't gone. How how have we let that happen?
Nathaniel Horecock: No. No. I'm I'm still wondering himself really, but they are.
Jimmy Harlesden: Tony on my couch is Jimmy Harston, part owner of the Freeman Harston Ranch, younger brother of William Harleston, who was very unfortunately killed in a previous adventure trying to do the right thing, and I'm trying to live out to to his memory.
Dave (GM): Cool. Who can remember what happened last time?
Marion Freeman: None of us. Was it? But handily, you
Nathaniel Horecock: sent us. I did.
Marion Freeman: Who was red?
Nathaniel Horecock: You emailed red. That that was actually quite a, kind summary, I think, considering what we went in in a what really happened in my memory here.
Dave (GM): Okay. Is what happened in your head different than that?
Nathaniel Horecock: Yes. Yeah. I I think we're very popular at the end of it.
Dave (GM): Well, you said you weren't very popular at the beginning.
Jimmy Harlesden: I think we were slightly more popular at the
Nathaniel Horecock: end of the beginning. Yeah.
Jimmy Harlesden: We're still popular. We're not that popular.
Dave (GM): So, yeah, if you if you recall, you had a a deputy come into town called Rufus Malcolm, and he brought news that, Eugene Raeburn and Dimas Paquito? Dimas Paquito had been found dead.
Marion Freeman: No. Not Raeburn.
Dave (GM): I think Raeburn was your Raeburn was already dead.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. Yeah. Paquito and Milagro Vicenta has been found dead.
Dave (GM): And that it was evidence to show it was Chisholm's men who had done the murder.
Marion Freeman: It's not evidence. It is the report of the murder.
Jimmy Harlesden: The testimony of a known criminal.
Dave (GM): Oh, that's true.
Jimmy Harlesden: But it's
Dave (GM): it's eyewitness evidence. It's a witness statement.
Jimmy Harlesden: Oh, it's evidence from a known criminal.
Dave (GM): Anyway, the town took against Chisholm, as a result of that information. And, at the same time, there was a territorial surveyor coming into town to, finalize the Spanish land rights.
Jimmy Harlesden: Was that that was Crosby, wasn't it?
Dave (GM): That was Samuel Crosby. And he came to you because as Chisholm's men here, he'd been given your names to give him whatever help and support he needed.
Nathaniel Horecock: But I have to mention that I'm not Chisholm's man. It's
Dave (GM): That's true. That's true. I mean, you're associated with Chisholm's man.
Nathaniel Horecock: There's many of them. Yeah.
Dave (GM): You you weren't taking the money from Chisholm. That's right. You decided to come clean, tell everyone that you were
Jimmy Harlesden: Yeah. Because McGinn came and threatened us. I suppose he said he'll Yes. He'll tell everyone unless we influence the surveyor to, in his favor in the landline.
Dave (GM): That's right. Yeah. And we we just talked to Sollof,
Nathaniel Horecock: and we thought well, we'll
Jimmy Harlesden: just we'll we're not gonna give into that blame. We'll just go and come clean anyway. Yeah. So that's kind of what prompted that.
Dave (GM): Yeah. So so you so you came clean, naturally gained the anger and, resentment and possibly hatred of some of the some of the people in town, particularly the Rayburns and the Paquito's. However, Samuel Crosby also told you that he recognized Donal McGinn and recognized him as an outlaw for many years ago with Jonas, Jonah Lawless.
Nathaniel Horecock: Yeah.
Dave (GM): Acting on that and a warrant, for Lawless's arrest, you went and challenged McGinn at his home, kicking his door in, as I remember. Yes. Jumping is blazing.
Nathaniel Horecock: And shooting him in the throat.
Dave (GM): Shooting him dead. Wounding I
Jimmy Harlesden: think because he resisted arrest.
Nathaniel Horecock: Yeah. He resisted arrest. He resisted yeah. He
Jimmy Harlesden: Everything else Yeah. That's really on him.
Nathaniel Horecock: Okay. Fair enough. I reckon that was quite a good shot. I think it was a snapshot I did then as well.
Dave (GM): That was a good shot. Yeah. Yeah. Yep. So missus McGinn, Mary McGinn was
Nathaniel Horecock: Shooting at it as well, I think.
Dave (GM): Was she was trying to shoot Matthew, I think, and telling the others to to fight back.
Nathaniel Horecock: Mhmm.
Dave (GM): And Murphy, her son, who was also there was was badly wounded. They were both arrested and then taken. So a slight retcon from last time. I said that, Rufus Malcolm had come from Fort Craig. Now in my research for this scenario, I realized that Fort Craig was never a town. It was just a fort. So, actually, he came from Lincoln.
Nathaniel Horecock: Alright.
Dave (GM): And Mary and Murphy McGinn were both taken back to Lincoln for trial.
Nathaniel Horecock: 8.
Jimmy Harlesden: Okay. Also, Mary survived and
Nathaniel Horecock: Yeah. In the point where
Jimmy Harlesden: you were gonna, Matthew, you were gonna finish off in there? Because were you in as like a side room in the house with
Dave (GM): her, weren't you?
Marion Freeman: I was, yes.
Jimmy Harlesden: Did you not?
Marion Freeman: I did not finish her off.
Dave (GM): The only one who died was Donal. I don't know if he was very very badly wounded. He would have died, but was was saved. And Mary, she must have been wounded.
Nathaniel Horecock: But She was wounded.
Marion Freeman: She was wounded. Yeah.
Dave (GM): But she
Marion Freeman: obviously Blonded, I think. At least 10%.
Nathaniel Horecock: With one of my eyes. I think you shot her
Dave (GM): in the face, didn't you? Yeah. Yeah.
Nathaniel Horecock: Well, 2 feet away. Well, it's a nice old lady. Yeah. Well, one of them had a shot and was blasting away. It was shotgun. Either it was her or the husband. So
Marion Freeman: Because she was shooting blind.
Dave (GM): Yeah. Yeah. Mhmm.
Marion Freeman: And, I had a gang member in there with me.
Dave (GM): Yeah.
Marion Freeman: So I I told him to tell her. Mhmm. Otherwise, we're both gonna get shot, I think.
Dave (GM): Yeah. So she didn't die. She's not blinded, but she was Yeah.
Marion Freeman: She was temporarily blinded, I think.
Dave (GM): From the wound, yeah, and the blood. Yeah. So at the end of all of that, the the are still feeling pretty bitter towards you. You feel that the Paquito's and Augustine, the, the patriarch of the family, are perhaps a bit more practical and are warming warming, wrong word. Their anger is cooling against you.
Nathaniel Horecock: Well, I think it was them who made a suggestion that we will arrest you them.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. They really
Nathaniel Horecock: Yeah. Yeah.
Jimmy Harlesden: I think
Nathaniel Horecock: I think
Dave (GM): they gave you some options of things you could do to start to redeem yourself.
Jimmy Harlesden: Yeah. Taking begin down was
Dave (GM): one of them.
Nathaniel Horecock: Well, yeah. Which
Dave (GM): you did. It's quite hard
Jimmy Harlesden: to do that really.
Dave (GM): So of the McGinn family, Grainne
Nathaniel Horecock: McGinn is still is still here,
Dave (GM): and in fact, she wasn't there at the time. She is the widow now of Brodie Goodish, and she's now the sole proprietor of the Sundown Saloon. And her younger brother, Patrick, is also is staying with her at the sundown at the moment as well. He wasn't involved in the fight either.
Marion Freeman: And she definitely didn't seem to be too bothered.
Jimmy Harlesden: And I should have known.
Marion Freeman: Killed her dad and
Dave (GM): No. Shot her mother.
Marion Freeman: Mother arrested. I don't remember what Patrick felt. But
Dave (GM): I don't think you've I don't think you've spoken to him. He's kept a very low profile.
Jimmy Harlesden: But wasn't one of you 2 kind of flirting
Nathaniel Horecock: with with
Jimmy Harlesden: her a bit?
Dave (GM): And now that, you know Yeah. She's been flirting with
Jimmy Harlesden: her husband on her deathbed and everything. Yeah. Now but now dead, of course. Mhmm.
Dave (GM): So she'd been flirting with you.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. Yeah. Yes. And I have here in terms of, what's happened, love blossoms as this season's
Nathaniel Horecock: Oh, well, they're just well, the church has been finished in time, isn't it?
Marion Freeman: But I'm I'm taking it bloody carefully. You don't murder somebody's well, murder. Arrest.
Nathaniel Horecock: The the arrest. It was Okay.
Marion Freeman: Don't arrest somebody's dad and see him die.
Nathaniel Horecock: I deputized you too. Went went you went to make the arrest.
Marion Freeman: It's an entirely legal Yes. Killing.
Nathaniel Horecock: Shooting.
Marion Freeman: Shooting. I don't
Nathaniel Horecock: know if you use the word killing. I don't know if that's
Marion Freeman: Okay.
Nathaniel Horecock: I think shooting is a bit more, Yeah. Because killing illegal killing, it sounds like
Dave (GM): you went there to kill him.
Nathaniel Horecock: And that was
Dave (GM): the might have.
Nathaniel Horecock: No. No. No. No. Not at all. No. No. No. No.
Jimmy Harlesden: No. No.
Dave (GM): Yeah. Keep holding on to
Nathaniel Horecock: that. Yeah.
Dave (GM): Mhmm. So it's the winter now. It's it's pretty cold.
Nathaniel Horecock: There are there's some vermin in town.
Dave (GM): People are it's got a lot of rats and I'd probably be very rubbish. Not human vermin.
Nathaniel Horecock: I'd probably be very rubbish.
Dave (GM): Human vermin. Although there might be a few human vermin in town as well, but people are struggling under the
Nathaniel Horecock: Alright.
Dave (GM): It's it's unseasonably cold, and, and the rats are getting into into everything and causing a few problems.
Nathaniel Horecock: Right.
Dave (GM): Yeah. Extra. Is there anything you guys wanna do?
Jimmy Harlesden: I think keep our heads down. There you go. So lunch, Brooke.
Nathaniel Horecock: I mean, now this this now they've actually got a sheriff's office, am I expecting to spend more time in the town now?
Dave (GM): Or I think the point of having a sheriff's office
Nathaniel Horecock: is for the sheriff to be in Yeah. Yeah. But that's what I'm saying. Because, you know, it was more part time to the officers building. Yeah.
Dave (GM): Yeah. I mean, it's still kind of part time at the moment. The the point will come probably where they will want you to they will want a full time tariff.
Nathaniel Horecock: Right.
Dave (GM): But not quite yet.
Nathaniel Horecock: Not quite. Okay. That's what I was getting.
Dave (GM): And so they're content at the moment to have you as
Nathaniel Horecock: Right.
Dave (GM): You as Yes. Yes. Under the current circumstances.
Marion Freeman: Pokey boy gave you that sheriff ship
Dave (GM): before. Garland, Rayburn, and Augustino, Paquito Mhmm. Were the ones that came to you and offered you
Nathaniel Horecock: Yeah.
Dave (GM): The job of sheriff.
Nathaniel Horecock: Yeah. Till it went through. Okay. Well, I suppose as the wind closes in, I'll spend the time around, carry out the horses, get them in, you
Dave (GM): know Yeah.
Nathaniel Horecock: Do that bit. How do
Jimmy Harlesden: we because we'd said we would resign from working for Chisholm. How do we done that? Had we written
Nathaniel Horecock: Chisholm, you do have to know. I think you're waiting till after the land grants have been sorted out.
Marion Freeman: Yes. I seem to remember it was after the land grants. And I think one of the things that we might be doing, around the table with the gas lantern on is writing a letter to Chisholm. And I think that letter is saying, I don't
Jimmy Harlesden: think I'm writing it.
Nathaniel Horecock: Right.
Marion Freeman: I think I think I am. Let me just make it
Dave (GM): Book learning people?
Nathaniel Horecock: No. There's nothing to do with it. No.
Marion Freeman: No. Not book banning. No. No.
Nathaniel Horecock: What is it then? So you're asking someone to write it for you? Okay. I'll do it for them.
Dave (GM): You got to be
Nathaniel Horecock: nice to
Marion Freeman: chism. Yeah. Yeah. I don't particularly wanna be saying this. To somebody who might gossip. So
Jimmy Harlesden: No. What?
Nathaniel Horecock: I'm not gonna gossip. No.
Marion Freeman: No. No. That's what I'm saying. So I'd like I prefer you to be the one.
Nathaniel Horecock: Alright, mate. Do you have some book learning? I have one. Yes. Okay. That's that's better than
Jimmy Harlesden: better than us then.
Nathaniel Horecock: Alright.
Marion Freeman: You can write that to we we can sign it, obviously.
Jimmy Harlesden: Yeah. Probably just about go as far as signing my name. And I think In crayon.
Dave (GM): And your dossy is 3.
Jimmy Harlesden: So you're
Dave (GM): not you're not complete.
Nathaniel Horecock: Idiot. Idiot. Yeah. Yeah.
Dave (GM): We can read. You can read a bit. You could write a bit, but probably not very well.
Marion Freeman: I'll probably ask, you to write it. And, what I want you to write is something along these lines
Nathaniel Horecock: Mhmm.
Marion Freeman: Which is dear mister
Nathaniel Horecock: Chicheng, obviously.
Marion Freeman: I would give an account of what has happened with, there were let me just could you ask Crosby? What happened to Crosby in the end?
Nathaniel Horecock: He just went off? He
Dave (GM): was flying in.
Jimmy Harlesden: Did his survey and left.
Dave (GM): Yeah. Exactly. So give
Marion Freeman: it to me, to that he did his survey. I make it very clear that, mister Cody stands accused of the murder of the Paikitos.
Dave (GM): Eugene Rayburn and Dimas Pote. Plus
Marion Freeman: we, should we say, remain to be convinced that, it is that clear given that we know the informant. However, we recommend that Cody isn't seen in these parts again. However, the land grant now will be Should
Jimmy Harlesden: we recommend that Kendrick Pickett makes himself available for the trial?
Nathaniel Horecock: I think he's gonna say yes to that.
Dave (GM): No. No.
Jimmy Harlesden: But the let us intercept it. And, you know, do we want to be seen to be kind of tipping in half
Nathaniel Horecock: and Okay.
Jimmy Harlesden: So. But anyway, this this is we're writing this down then this may happen. Chamber of
Nathaniel Horecock: the town is ready for you. Yeah.
Jimmy Harlesden: This may come to public Yeah. At some point in public health. Yeah. So even if it's not really what you mean.
Marion Freeman: He comes into town. If the intention off, we can write
Jimmy Harlesden: that in a way that Well, actually saying that. I do remember actually saying that must be
Nathaniel Horecock: but I was sure to say is that I did say to Raeburn that if he actually came into the town thing, I would arrest him trying to placate Braver and take him in.
Dave (GM): I think I think
Marion Freeman: I made that promise to
Dave (GM): Keto as well. Yeah. I think you might even have been asked to go and get him.
Nathaniel Horecock: Yeah. Or What is that?
Dave (GM): They're not asked directly, but there's there's a suggestion Yeah. That he ought to be brought to justice.
Marion Freeman: However, the the meat of the letter, I want to say, is the land rights now having been solved, mister Crosby protected in very difficult circumstances by our actions and make it clear that we didn't you know, we weren't, like, his bodyguards or anything, but we, you know, certain certain things happened that were done for the protection of mister Cosby. Otherwise, the town might have lynched lynched him with the news, as it were, that we are happy to say that our service with, mister Chisholm is ended, and any stipend that he has been giving us no longer needs to be, telegraphed or whatever. I don't know. What were what were you getting paid? Yeah.
Jimmy Harlesden: We were paying.
Nathaniel Horecock: Yeah. We were getting paid. Yeah.
Jimmy Harlesden: Some $12 a season.
Marion Freeman: It's a quote. And is it is it it is
Dave (GM): So that was probably being delivered by
Nathaniel Horecock: by
Dave (GM): the post.
Marion Freeman: Yes. We're not gonna be wired because we don't have telephones. You don't
Nathaniel Horecock: have a telegram.
Marion Freeman: Or a bank.
Nathaniel Horecock: Or a bank.
Marion Freeman: I love it.
Nathaniel Horecock: I've done. I got this bit of paper that says I've got $75. I'd like to buy something with that. Yeah.
Marion Freeman: That's okay.
Dave (GM): Nice try, Johnny.
Marion Freeman: Anyway, so, yeah, I think along those lines, we we feel our service to him has been fulfilled. And then, you know, some niceties about we trust we've, We have behaved honorably throughout the situation or something like that.
Dave (GM): Are you posting that letter then? Are you sending it?
Nathaniel Horecock: Well, I should say, I'll do you're posting it. Yes? Or Yes. That was a definite maybe, wasn't it? Maybe. Yeah.
Jimmy Harlesden: Yeah. I guess it had but unless we're gonna go and deliver it personally, which
Nathaniel Horecock: I don't think we really want to do, do we?
Marion Freeman: I don't know. GM, are you wanting us to head up to Philly, Or did you have another plan?
Dave (GM): Don't don't don't necessarily need you to go to Santa Fe right now.
Marion Freeman: Would you prefer it that we put it in the post?
Nathaniel Horecock: Or a nice holiday in Santa Fe. I mean
Marion Freeman: oh oh.
Dave (GM): You can do what you please.
Marion Freeman: Okay. Could we could we reckon it that we sent it back with mister Crosby?
Dave (GM): Yes.
Marion Freeman: Shall we do that? Yes. Yeah. Yeah.
Dave (GM): I think that's fine.
Nathaniel Horecock: I think so. When when it's all fresh in people's yeah.
Dave (GM): Yeah. That's entirely reasonable. Yep.
Jimmy Harlesden: And I think we should say that Kelly Picker should,
Nathaniel Horecock: you
Jimmy Harlesden: know, present himself for a well, I'm sure he'd get a fair trial to clear his name.
Nathaniel Horecock: Mhmm. Yeah. Of course.
Jimmy Harlesden: But that's what we say. It's not necessarily what we believe, but it's kind of we're saying Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Don't come back to town without actually saying that. In case the left does get intercepted
Nathaniel Horecock: Yeah. That's right. Not the letter. We
Jimmy Harlesden: can say
Nathaniel Horecock: quite a
Jimmy Harlesden: thing. Yeah. Yeah. We Yeah. Yeah.
Dave (GM): You weren't blatantly doing something obviously.
Nathaniel Horecock: Warning image for the course, though.
Dave (GM): From the from the sheriff. Oh, there you go. So you're not signing, are you?
Nathaniel Horecock: No. It's
Dave (GM): Okay. As as whilst you're doing all of that, so obviously takes, you know, takes
Nathaniel Horecock: a few days or, you know, a week or
Dave (GM): something if things happening. Tone, your your mother, Minnie, speaks to you and says, you know, I've been since since I came from Silver City, I've been keeping in touch with some of the girls there I used to know. And, I just had a letter, telling me that Taylor Bullard, if you remember who he was, he's he's been murdered. Yeah. Shot by an unknown assailant. And his surviving brothers, Carson and John Junior, are on the warpath looking for his killer.
Marion Freeman: It wasn't us.
Jimmy Harlesden: Yeah. Once.
Dave (GM): They just thought it wasn't us. But Minnie Minnie was like, you know, might want to know considering
Marion Freeman: Mhmm. The
Dave (GM): So the the manner of her departure and what happened, because obviously she killed.
Nathaniel Horecock: But you 2 went over there when I was working at the ranch, and I seemed to remember you told must be told me that he that you shot his his younger brother.
Dave (GM): Well, you've that you fought his younger brother because she was beating up. Yeah. He was beating up. Minnie. Minnie put the gun to his
Nathaniel Horecock: head and I blew his brains. Yeah. Killed him once he's been defeated.
Dave (GM): She's a bit concerned. I think mostly because, obviously, you know, these girlfriends of hers know that she's now in Leonardo Springs. And if they know, then it's not impossible for the Bullards to find out.
Nathaniel Horecock: But, anyway, Oh, how long ago was he murdered? Dates for the letter.
Dave (GM): Oh, murdered Maybe a month ago.
Jimmy Harlesden: And do you know anything about the situation of the murder? Was it a where was it? Where did it happen? Was it kind of
Dave (GM): All the letter says that he was he was he was shot in, you know, in the town
Nathaniel Horecock: Oh, by
Dave (GM): by an assailant, but nobody In the town?
Jimmy Harlesden: They were known nobody saw who he was?
Dave (GM): This is all the letter says. Yeah. The assailant. An unknown assailant.
Nathaniel Horecock: Well, I think there'd be enough, townsfolk around here to say that you and Matt were both around here at that time anyway.
Marion Freeman: Oh, yeah. And the town's been so be so pleased not to drop us in the shed.
Nathaniel Horecock: Okay. I suppose I'll say that you're you're arena.
Dave (GM): Yeah. Yeah.
Nathaniel Horecock: But, yeah, she just thought
Dave (GM): she wanted. She's a bit nervous about it
Nathaniel Horecock: and just wanted to tell
Dave (GM): you about it.
Nathaniel Horecock: Oh, it's quite nice in here this time of year.
Dave (GM): It's not very far, are they?
Nathaniel Horecock: No. That's why.
Dave (GM): Oh, dear. Okay. Well, I'll
Jimmy Harlesden: say thanks, man. Yeah. I have to think on what it is. I will go and tell these guys that Yeah. Pass information on. Yeah.
Dave (GM): K, Matt. When you're in town, you do see that Grainne, kind of whenever she sees you, sort of making eye contact and
Marion Freeman: Right. I I beat her politely and gentlemanly. But, you know, if she comes to hug or make any physical contact, I will take a step back, and look around, seeing what other people are witnessing.
Nathaniel Horecock: Mhmm.
Dave (GM): Okay. No. I mean, on the street, she's being, yeah. Respectable, she's not doing anything too demonstrative. She says that you're, you know, you're one
Jimmy Harlesden: of the you're one of the
Dave (GM): few people in town who who who doesn't hate me. Now now it's you know, now my father's been ashamed to be be an outlaw. You know, not not so many people are coming into the sundown. It's it's a little bit difficult for me and and young Patrick now after all this. We, you know, we we we need we need help. We need we need protection from
Marion Freeman: Yes.
Dave (GM): From that big.
Marion Freeman: No one should be aiding you because of the actions of your father and your
Dave (GM): she, you know, and she she steps up to sort of place her hand on your on your chest just, you know, in a
Marion Freeman: Yeah. That I can that I can
Dave (GM): Again, can
Marion Freeman: you elaborate? I take my head off.
Dave (GM): So I I mean, you're not repulsed by
Nathaniel Horecock: her, are you?
Marion Freeman: No. No. No. No.
Nathaniel Horecock: No. No. No. No. No. Depends on me watch.
Marion Freeman: There is a fancy
Nathaniel Horecock: in there. There is a
Marion Freeman: I did. I mean, I didn't personally kill her father. That was him.
Nathaniel Horecock: It was him all night. Oh, cheers, Becky.
Marion Freeman: You know, so I'm I'm I say, you know, you know, I know what it's like to have the town turn against you only for for trying to do the right thing.
Dave (GM): Matt, can you make an insight roll, please?
Marion Freeman: I will make an insight roll. I don't know if the insight's a particular thing that I'm particularly good at.
Nathaniel Horecock: And I
Marion Freeman: think this is 4 dice on that.
Dave (GM): So this is my my thinking about the your attempt to resist her charms.
Nathaniel Horecock: Alright. When I said I wanted you to more accurately do social. Cool. I took that to heart, mate.
Marion Freeman: Oh, no. Thank you. It's good. I have entirely failed that role, and I am not inclined, given 2 ones for a start, on my trouble dice
Dave (GM): Trouble dice. Yeah.
Marion Freeman: I am not inclined to, To
Nathaniel Horecock: push.
Marion Freeman: To push. So
Dave (GM): Okay. So she got one success Yep. Which will mean one point of damage to your dosage. Unvexation. Yeah.
Nathaniel Horecock: That means your breaches are undone.
Marion Freeman: Vexation's not wages. Actually, I'll change it. Dose of tea?
Dave (GM): Oh, because insight is dos of tea, isn't it?
Marion Freeman: No. Insight is cunning.
Dave (GM): Oh, no. Yeah. Okay. You're right. Yep. Cunning then. Sorry.
Nathaniel Horecock: So this means if he gets 4 vexations And I
Marion Freeman: think in this and I think we need where he loses the so so if I if I would if I would now to play on this conversation, and say, you know, I don't know. If if I were
Dave (GM): to go, she's trying to entice you back to the sundown for
Nathaniel Horecock: a an
Dave (GM): intimate an intimate conversation. Right. Yeah.
Marion Freeman: Well, give given that that is all I'm arguing over.
Nathaniel Horecock: Mhmm.
Marion Freeman: I'm not gonna carry on this argument. I think I will now having taken my damage, I I will go. But if I wanted to say no, I can't come back to the sun damage, then I would now next be rolling on 4 dice instead of 5.
Nathaniel Horecock: Fair enough. I love it. Yeah.
Jimmy Harlesden: Just to Ted, how many faith points have started? Is it 4? 4.
Nathaniel Horecock: Is it 44? I don't know.
Marion Freeman: That's gone
Dave (GM): up. Yeah. We put it up on the games were playing with tone because 3 just felt a bit too short, too small.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. I think too cute.
Dave (GM): Particularly if you then like burning points for Yeah. For trouble.
Jimmy Harlesden: For trouble as well.
Dave (GM): Yeah. You quickly run out of 3 points.
Marion Freeman: And in fact, this so picking up on this that George was I was gonna say, well, you know, I can at least come and be a customer at the Sundown. So,
Nathaniel Horecock: I thought that
Dave (GM): was going with that? So, yeah,
Marion Freeman: I will. I
Nathaniel Horecock: thought that was the rest and welcome or whatever. It's gonna be a customer.
Marion Freeman: Sorry? At the Sundown, which is a respectable inn, out of which
Nathaniel Horecock: you and I got thrown at one point. No. No. You're still a part, mate.
Marion Freeman: No. You're you're still a part, mate. No. You're you're
Dave (GM): Trails Hotel.
Marion Freeman: Oh, I'm really sorry. We were
Dave (GM): thrown out. You were invited to leave. Yeah. Because you were bad mouthing McGinn loudly in the place.
Nathaniel Horecock: That was before that should be before his elder brother got shot.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. Then we're the days, ain't we?
Nathaniel Horecock: Yeah.
Dave (GM): Yeah. Okay. So the sundown is Mhmm. There was a few people in there, but it's not as busy as you've seen it before. It you know, people are giving them again a bit of a wide berth at the moment. So, yeah, she continues to flirt with you, gets you a drink, and it's basically coming onto you a little bit.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. Well
Dave (GM): Did you wanna resist?
Nathaniel Horecock: So I'm
Marion Freeman: gonna have a conversation with her. I'm gonna say, look. Yeah. I put my I'm not much of a gambler,
Nathaniel Horecock: which I
Marion Freeman: seriously am not much of a gambler. I am a bit of a gambler, but I'm not much
Nathaniel Horecock: of a gambler.
Marion Freeman: Let, you know, let me show you the cards. I shot you not anything. It was damn good.
Nathaniel Horecock: Well, there were times where
Dave (GM): I wish this was being video recorded.
Nathaniel Horecock: I shot you, mother.
Marion Freeman: I shot your mother. I've, I've seen your father killed. I it just seems a bit awkward. Yeah. You're a very attractive young woman. From the first day I saw you, you've been a very attractive young woman. Married, of course. So I've had no improper thoughts. We did
Jimmy Harlesden: about 2 weeks.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. But when I first saw it, she had Yeah. Yeah. But I I've got a minute. I am attracted to you. But is this the right time?
Dave (GM): So you you're trying to cool her jets. Yeah?
Marion Freeman: A little bit.
Dave (GM): Yeah. So you wanna make a performing roll
Nathaniel Horecock: Right.
Dave (GM): Against her insight.
Marion Freeman: Okay. And my performing is is only 4.
Nathaniel Horecock: What's that then, Moe?
Marion Freeman: That that's a that's no successes.
Nathaniel Horecock: Okay. She got one success.
Dave (GM): Okay. So you take a point of damage to, Dosati this time. Dosati
Marion Freeman: this time. Daps.
Dave (GM): So you're now having doubts about whether maybe I should just
Jimmy Harlesden: face some weight.
Nathaniel Horecock: You're still able to help.
Dave (GM): So she's like, well, I I I get that, but, I mean, my father was a brute. My mother was a was a tyrant. I I'm better off without them. I'm better off with you, Marianne. Hi. And she's trying to
Marion Freeman: At least I can hopefully prove that I'm no brute nor tyrant. But what about your young brother? What will he say to this? You want me to make another decision?
Dave (GM): So I think I think I need you to make an insight rule first for her.
Marion Freeman: Okay.
Dave (GM): Flirt against you.
Marion Freeman: Well, yeah. Yeah. Yeah. I'm I don't mind losing these rules.
Nathaniel Horecock: That's all
Marion Freeman: I gotta say. So now you're down to 4 dice now.
Nathaniel Horecock: What was that? You got
Marion Freeman: just Ashley. That was all the successful.
Nathaniel Horecock: Is that, though?
Marion Freeman: It's down to 3 dice now. I'm falling for her charms, obviously.
Dave (GM): Okay. So she got 2 successes. So you take 2 points of damage to your
Marion Freeman: Well, then at that point To your cunning. At my cunning. And then I assume normally the thing when you're out of cunning, you get really cross and you hit her. But I
Dave (GM): Before you completely fall for her chance.
Marion Freeman: Yes. You might
Jimmy Harlesden: have to marry her or attack her.
Nathaniel Horecock: I think marriage may be the best one. It's Chris Ramsay. Okay. We'll we'll draw a veil over that. So, yes. Okay. Yeah.
Marion Freeman: You and she
Dave (GM): are having a intimate moment in the corner of her bar, secluded. Not many people can see.
Marion Freeman: It's me saying, what were your brother saying?
Dave (GM): Yeah. Okay. So,
Marion Freeman: cool. I don't mind using dice rolls like that.
Nathaniel Horecock: There's ones that get you shot that I don't like.
Dave (GM): Well, this might yet get you shot possibly.
Marion Freeman: Don't I know it? Don't I know it?
Dave (GM): Andy, so you're spending a bit of time at the sheriff's office.
Nathaniel Horecock: Yes. Yes. Absolutely. Yeah. You noticed that as you as you are there
Dave (GM): Mhmm. Over a number of days, one of the directly across the road from you is the the Home Sweet Home Hotel, which is,
Nathaniel Horecock: No. I know. Well, I'm not here.
Dave (GM): Been there before. It's a
Nathaniel Horecock: hall house. Yes. I know of it. Yeah.
Dave (GM): And there's one of the girls who works there, sweet young thing called Megan. Mhmm. She pops in kind of couple of times a day when you're there,
Nathaniel Horecock: and she
Marion Freeman: brings you a cake.
Nathaniel Horecock: And she gives
Dave (GM): you, you know,
Marion Freeman: a hot drink. Got to
Nathaniel Horecock: be. Yeah. Right.
Dave (GM): She's basically, again, trying to to be friendly. You know, it's it's it's all very nice and pleasant.
Nathaniel Horecock: Nice. Yeah. Yeah. No. I'll be I'll
Dave (GM): be Possibly them, you know.
Nathaniel Horecock: I do remember I was a true gent when, my ex, comrades turned up because I determined the bugger off the bus.
Dave (GM): Yes. You did. Yeah. You faced them down
Jimmy Harlesden: in there.
Nathaniel Horecock: Yeah. Yeah. Now I shall return her charm. She'll be, you know I do have charming traits, so I can't be nice.
Dave (GM): Okay. Did you want are you trying to charm her a bit then?
Nathaniel Horecock: Should I do but should I be a sergeant, and why not?
Dave (GM): In which case, yeah, make a make a performing role with your bonus and charming.
Nathaniel Horecock: So that's that is 12. That's 8 performing then. That's working. Okay. Performing dot
Jimmy Harlesden: So it
Dave (GM): does t plus your skill plus the one for your Yeah. Charming. You're really
Marion Freeman: I I I make one comment about your.
Dave (GM): Just you wait till later, mate.
Nathaniel Horecock: So I've gotta have 5 trouble dice. Dice.
Dave (GM): Yes. Five trouble dice. 73. 3 base dice. Yeah. Alright.
Nathaniel Horecock: Well, green with the trouble ones then. And there'll be the base ones. Oh, not oh, not one. No. 1 trouble.
Dave (GM): Trouble doesn't matter unless you push.
Nathaniel Horecock: Right. Okay.
Dave (GM): And if you did want to push, you could still spend
Marion Freeman: That's a success.
Dave (GM): That's a 6. Yeah?
Nathaniel Horecock: Yeah.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. So So
Dave (GM): if you wanted to push, you'd always spend 1 faith to push.
Nathaniel Horecock: Uh-huh.
Dave (GM): You could then choose to spend another faith to turn that from a trouble into a Rhodyne. You get to reroll that one.
Jimmy Harlesden: Alright. Okay.
Nathaniel Horecock: It was one success. That's the other one.
Dave (GM): Okay. Yeah. She's she's amenable. You know? She's she's obviously taken with you a little bit. And so over a few days, you know, she's becoming friendlier and more cheerful and giving you nicer smiles
Nathaniel Horecock: and Right. Okay. Okay.
Dave (GM): But nothing else Nothing else for her.
Nathaniel Horecock: Happens at
Dave (GM): this point, but she's obviously Okay. Enjoying your attention.
Nathaniel Horecock: My attention. Okay. No. No. I'll just carry on. I'll be charming. Yeah. Flirting a bit of stuff and all that. So just yeah. I'm sure it won't. It's yeah. So I'd yeah. Well, I won't push anything there. Yeah. Okay. Okay.
Dave (GM): Whilst you're at the office on one of the days, you get a letter.
Nathaniel Horecock: Oh god.
Jimmy Harlesden: Oh, these are never good news.
Nathaniel Horecock: I know you're done with some Trial charges.
Marion Freeman: I've seen you flirting with my daughter.
Nathaniel Horecock: No. That's, you know, but okay.
Dave (GM): I think there is an interesting point actually about the social conflict. Because in physical conflict, you swap the damage between
Nathaniel Horecock: Mhmm.
Dave (GM): Yeah. Grit, grit and and quick.
Nathaniel Horecock: Mhmm.
Dave (GM): Starting with quick. Should we, for mental damage, swap between the 2 and start with
Marion Freeman: I think it's slightly more contextual. So for example, if you were trying to weigh me up or seduce me, you're entirely right. It should come off my cutting. In a more intellectual argument about I'm trying to convince you of the right course of action
Dave (GM): It should come off your doubt.
Marion Freeman: Come off your, density. I think I think it's slightly different for that. What it does mean is if it's all coming off 1, then those role, success or failure, has much more effect than it does in conflict.
Nathaniel Horecock: Well, I'll ask you
Marion Freeman: Although
Dave (GM): It means you're Your one your one success in conflict sorry, Andy. Your one success in conflict with a gun, say, might deliver 2, 3, or 4 damage. Whereas your one success on this only delivers
Marion Freeman: the one. Relatively low.
Dave (GM): So actually, it probably balances.
Nathaniel Horecock: I think
Marion Freeman: probably balances Yeah. I think it's cool. And, also, I think it's important to have that contextual stuff.
Dave (GM): Yeah. Yeah. I agree.
Jimmy Harlesden: Okay. Cool.
Nathaniel Horecock: So you too can can read then. I tell you? Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Actually well, you must be still busier than that.
Marion Freeman: Oh, I like
Nathaniel Horecock: that. I'm not sure
Dave (GM): it's going that far.
Marion Freeman: I ain't no quick draw. I don't have a quick draw. Fast shooter. What is the fast shooter tone? It's not that.
Nathaniel Horecock: No. No. That's why I didn't want the fire. Looks like we're going on a wee trip.
Dave (GM): Did you wanna read it out, Tayne?
Jimmy Harlesden: Yeah. So, dear Cheryl Hawcock, as you know, we brought Mary McGinn, nee Davidson, and her son Murphy to Lincoln for trial on charges of the attempted murders of you, deputies Harlston and Freeman in the discharge of your duties. The trial will take place under the auspices of judge Byron Davidson of Albuquerque who's coming to Lincoln to preside over proceedings. You and your deputies are required to testify in that trial and your presence is expected in Lincoln 4 weeks from the date of this letter, which is the 1st January 18/73. I'll be much obliged if you would comply with this request or the trial may be dismissed. Yours sincerely, Saturnino Baca. Saturnino Baca. Saturnino Baca, sheriff of Lincoln Lincoln County.
Nathaniel Horecock: Yep. My first
Jimmy Harlesden: So, yeah. We got to go and testify Yeah. In the trial. It's probably fair enough.
Nathaniel Horecock: It is. Yeah. I've got a lot of objections there.
Jimmy Harlesden: Prime witnesses to the, resistance of arrest
Nathaniel Horecock: It was.
Jimmy Harlesden: And attempted murder by those criminals.
Marion Freeman: So you were asking about Farfetch, you said?
Nathaniel Horecock: Yeah. I
Marion Freeman: do wanna point out that you handle your weapon with speed and
Dave (GM): Alright. I'll redraft it.
Marion Freeman: Your action is so quick. You don't need to spend an action to prepare.
Nathaniel Horecock: Well, she'll be happy. I'll be in a nap before she even knows.
Dave (GM): All the Purell I
Nathaniel Horecock: mean, no one is
Dave (GM): no one is a Purell as us.
Jimmy Harlesden: So I think, you know
Marion Freeman: Right.
Dave (GM): Hopefully, that might not
Marion Freeman: Not many people are.
Nathaniel Horecock: No. Oh, well.
Dave (GM): Although, you know, in the game on the Wednesdays, we were thinking about changing that talent. So that that rank 1 becomes rank 2 because it's very powerful.
Marion Freeman: Right.
Dave (GM): And then rank 1 becomes just a bonus to draw
Marion Freeman: Right. In a Yeah.
Nathaniel Horecock: So what's it? So what so what are we planning
Dave (GM): on stuff?
Nathaniel Horecock: We'll leave
Marion Freeman: we'll leave
Dave (GM): it as it is because that's what you took it for, but I think we might change it. So because otherwise, it becomes super powerful. Okay. Particularly when you combine it with some other
Marion Freeman: Can I have the shoe?
Dave (GM): Like, 2 2 Garland things.
Nathaniel Horecock: Well, I've got that's what I think, though, I think. Yeah.
Dave (GM): But then you can still get that. You just need to spend more points
Jimmy Harlesden: because that would
Dave (GM): be the that would be the last level rather than the basic.
Nathaniel Horecock: So, well, a plus draw would be a bad thing either. So so I will reply to this and say, yes. I mean, the deputies will be there on that date.
Dave (GM): Yep. Okay.
Nathaniel Horecock: So just hang the slots.
Jimmy Harlesden: How far away is Lincoln from?
Dave (GM): Lincoln. Do I have a map I do here? It's not that far. I've got it.
Jimmy Harlesden: At the Lincoln, where's where are we?
Dave (GM): Oh, no. It's not very far, is it? It's still quite light. 26 hexes. Each hex is 5 miles. So it's, what, a 125 miles. So it's gonna be 4 or 5 days on horse by horseback.
Jimmy Harlesden: Right. Is it? Is that that Lincoln and that's Genoa Genoa Springs. Yeah?
Dave (GM): Yep. And what's that? So it's 12 miles per square
Jimmy Harlesden: on that. Miles per square on this one.
Dave (GM): 55 miles per square on this one. When you're looking at
Nathaniel Horecock: or 5 days, so it's Yeah.
Marion Freeman: And I mean,
Dave (GM): it's gonna be a difficult travel because of the weather. It's very cold.
Nathaniel Horecock: Yeah. That's true. Yeah.
Dave (GM): But not impossible. Yeah. Okay. You can you can do it.
Jimmy Harlesden: And when I say trials in a week, did you say?
Dave (GM): 4 weeks and days.
Jimmy Harlesden: 4 weeks. Yeah. Okay.
Nathaniel Horecock: Well, the weather may break.
Dave (GM): So it's now it's now a week a week after that date.
Nathaniel Horecock: A week ago. Yeah.
Dave (GM): 10th January this week now.
Nathaniel Horecock: Oh, okay. So we can take that a week before there. Okay.
Dave (GM): So you
Nathaniel Horecock: got a couple of weeks where you need
Jimmy Harlesden: to go?
Nathaniel Horecock: Well, I'll inform, mister Raymond, you know, so they so they know.
Dave (GM): Yep. They can't be
Jimmy Harlesden: out of town for
Nathaniel Horecock: it. Yeah.
Marion Freeman: So how long have we got?
Nathaniel Horecock: We got 3 weeks from that from now.
Jimmy Harlesden: So To live.
Marion Freeman: Right. To live. 2 weeks. Yeah.
Dave (GM): So we got a couple of weeks. Yeah.
Nathaniel Horecock: That's
Dave (GM): where you need to go. Yeah.
Nathaniel Horecock: It's just a trial. Don't go wrong. Just go there, give the evidence, and come back. Simples.
Marion Freeman: Yeah. Yeah. Nothing's ever gone wrong
Nathaniel Horecock: Exactly.
Marion Freeman: In a western world.
Jimmy Harlesden: We would probably leave a couple of days early just in case there's any, like, delays on the route.
Marion Freeman: 2 weeks and not 2 weeks 3 days, which would be even more accurate.
Dave (GM): So did you want to do anything in these 2 weeks before you head to to Lincoln?
Jimmy Harlesden: Get married? Mhmm.
Marion Freeman: Propose? No. I I I think, oh god. Well, I think so give given that I have fallen for Guadiers' charms, I will be spending considerable time helping out at her place.
Dave (GM): At someone else. Alright.
Marion Freeman: I mean obviously we've got a ranch to run as well.
Nathaniel Horecock: Well, yes. Yeah.
Marion Freeman: We'll be there, you know, doing some of the manly repair tasks or whatever with my making skill of, yeah, doing some of the manly
Dave (GM): Sweeping up.
Marion Freeman: Sweeping up. Yeah.
Nathaniel Horecock: Carrying gas. Carrying gas.
Dave (GM): You do see
Marion Freeman: Yeah. Probably at labor.
Dave (GM): You don't
Nathaniel Horecock: see a
Dave (GM): lot of Patrick, a little bit here and there. He doesn't engage with you at all. He's not shouting at you or angry with you or anything. He's just ignoring you.
Marion Freeman: Okay. Can I try a performing role just to try and get him to engage with me?
Dave (GM): You can.
Marion Freeman: And I've now, of course, recovered all my points because Mhmm. Damage. Yes.
Nathaniel Horecock: How how long does the damage last when you do it? Is that
Dave (GM): you can I resting takes it away? So
Nathaniel Horecock: Right. Okay. Fair enough. Yeah.
Dave (GM): Yeah. Point back for
Nathaniel Horecock: 10 minutes. Right? 10 minutes. Okay. Fair enough. Yeah. It's
Dave (GM): the correct set of the.
Marion Freeman: Okay. So I am going So
Dave (GM): he's he doesn't he doesn't wanna talk to you.
Marion Freeman: There's tea to try and perform. Yeah. That's not working. Okay. I'll try every now and then. No successes? But no successes.
Dave (GM): Oh, okay. So he he successfully, on that occasion, manages to brush you off. Do you wanna make another roll for a second attempt? No. A day
Marion Freeman: or 2 later? Okay. Yeah. A success. You got a success?
Dave (GM): No. So you need to do a point of damage to
Marion Freeman: so I'm gonna say to him.
Nathaniel Horecock: He's he doesn't wanna talk to you, but
Dave (GM): you've kind of backed him and you've kind of caught him in a moment.
Marion Freeman: Your name Patrick or Martin? Patrick. Patrick. I said Patrick.
Jimmy Harlesden: Yeah. That's right. He's the right name.
Marion Freeman: I just want you to know I can understand how you're feeling. I think I can understand how you're feeling about this.
Dave (GM): What are you trying to achieve in this?
Marion Freeman: I I Are you trying to
Dave (GM): make him warm to you a little bit? Or
Marion Freeman: Just I I think ultimately what I'm what I'm looking for is to get him to shout at me and to offload his feelings like some, you know, that Basically I I don't I don't want him to be simmering. I want him to
Nathaniel Horecock: I basically don't want him shooting you in the back of a shotgun. Is that what you're trying to say? Yeah.
Dave (GM): The bed for
Marion Freeman: some people from my
Nathaniel Horecock: husband dying in India.
Marion Freeman: Because, I'm yeah. Shannon, I'm gonna say the thing. The thing I'm most worried about is
Nathaniel Horecock: I don't want
Marion Freeman: anyone to hurt your sister. And I think I think we can be agreed on that. That's a point of agreement. Can it not be between the 2 of us?
Dave (GM): Okay. Make another performing roll.
Marion Freeman: I've only got 4 clicks. This is not what I'm good at. No. Do you
Jimmy Harlesden: wanna push?
Dave (GM): No. Okay. So he succeeds. So you lose a point of dusted. He's you're not getting through to him, but you can try you can try again if you want.
Marion Freeman: I can't say I I've said my piece. I've said my piece. I'm just gonna walk away. I know I haven't convinced him.
Dave (GM): Right. Okay.
Nathaniel Horecock: Okay. Well, before we just I'll make I'll make sure that well, I'll spend some time at the ranch just to make sure all things are in order because, you know, you can be away for, what, fortnight, I suppose, for a few reason. And then spend time eating cake down the show's house, I suppose, whatever. And I was supposed to spend the
Jimmy Harlesden: time at the ranch, being sure it's all running because, you know, obviously, someone say. Other distractions.
Nathaniel Horecock: Not a lot.
Jimmy Harlesden: You know, one of us has a important role as sheriff and
Nathaniel Horecock: one is
Jimmy Harlesden: trying to I chose the wrong moment to eat a biscuit, didn't I?
Nathaniel Horecock: You did.
Jimmy Harlesden: Yeah. No. That's absolutely fine. You can get yourselves ready. Mhmm.
Dave (GM): The ranch will be alright. Off your way. Most of the horses are on. I kind of corralled inside anyway.
Nathaniel Horecock: Yeah. Out of the cold.
Marion Freeman: Who's gonna be looking after your mother? Looking out for her, I mean.
Jimmy Harlesden: Well, perhaps she's, you know, pretty self resilient. Like, look after herself. I guess, we can get Somebody from the ranch, John Boy, Smithson, I'll get him to keep an eye.
Dave (GM): Into town.
Nathaniel Horecock: Is that what you're worried about? After shooting in,
Marion Freeman: I don't know. Or come with us? Or
Jimmy Harlesden: I don't think I want it to come with us, because, you know, if it ends up in trouble, which
Marion Freeman: I don't know. Yeah.
Jimmy Harlesden: It might.
Marion Freeman: Why don't you talk to her about it? You haven't made any say so well.
Dave (GM): Not yet. No.
Marion Freeman: We could put her up at a hotel or something like that closer into town. That could be a thing.
Jimmy Harlesden: No. Not sure. It's not true. She lives up up at the ranch. Yeah. That's I think that's fine.
Nathaniel Horecock: She's reasonably happy. Yeah.
Jimmy Harlesden: She's, you know, she's obviously a bit nervous about
Dave (GM): Yeah. But Taylor will not have been killed. But, like you say, she's she's, she's looked after herself for a long time. So, she's not
Jimmy Harlesden: And that
Dave (GM): she's not defenseless or helpless.
Jimmy Harlesden: And there'll be hands around their arms sometimes, so Yeah.
Nathaniel Horecock: Okay. Cool.
Dave (GM): Right. Are you heading to Lincoln then?
Nathaniel Horecock: I suppose so.
Dave (GM): Okay. These are the same, Matt, but, again, done with the different styles.
Nathaniel Horecock: Right.
Dave (GM): So, again, let me know which one you think works best.
Nathaniel Horecock: Alright. Okay.
Dave (GM): I had a lot of fun researching Lincoln for this scenario.
Nathaniel Horecock: Still too early for the kettle wars, though, aren't we? Yes. Back to the back.
Dave (GM): Yeah. None of that's happened. Some of the people involved were around.
Marion Freeman: Mhmm. We might trigger them.
Nathaniel Horecock: But no. There's no Okay. Yeah.
Dave (GM): For the moment, Lincoln is a
Nathaniel Horecock: Peaceful town. Is a
Dave (GM): peaceful town. Yeah. Okay.
Nathaniel Horecock: I'm just gonna avoid anybody called Billy.
Dave (GM): I think at this at this at this point, Billy's, what, about 14, I suppose. 15? 15.
Nathaniel Horecock: He started shooting people. Yeah.
Dave (GM): He might have done.
Nathaniel Horecock: That's true. Yeah.
Marion Freeman: They're not going with the kid for nothing.
Dave (GM): That's a fair fair comment.
Marion Freeman: So this is all woodland down here.
Nathaniel Horecock: All mountains.
Dave (GM): So that's the it's the it's the mountains.
Jimmy Harlesden: Oh, right. Not fur trees. They're not fur trees. No.
Marion Freeman: So look come up 30.
Dave (GM): They're my standard little squiggle for mountains.
Nathaniel Horecock: Right.
Dave (GM): And so, basically, Lincoln is in the the Rio Bonito Valley.
Nathaniel Horecock: Right. Yeah.
Dave (GM): To the south, you've got the Sierra Blanca mountains. To the north, you've got the Capitan mountains.
Nathaniel Horecock: Right. Yeah.
Dave (GM): And the road runs east to west, basically.
Nathaniel Horecock: Mhmm.
Jimmy Harlesden: And Lincoln is in the middle.
Nathaniel Horecock: Where are you all?
Marion Freeman: So, who did you get your letter from, sheriff?
Nathaniel Horecock: The sheriff.
Jimmy Harlesden: Right. The blinker.
Marion Freeman: So I guess that's where we
Nathaniel Horecock: Report in the
Marion Freeman: fire our horse first. Yeah. Say we've arrived in town. Indeedy. Maybe ask a recommendation from the sheriff about where would be a good place to stay and why the Ben Ellis Hotel seems to be suspiciously written in.
Nathaniel Horecock: Because it's actually because I Where am I?
Dave (GM): It's there, isn't it? Alright. Which one is it?
Nathaniel Horecock: Not before. Is it up right now?
Dave (GM): Oh, yeah. It's because yeah.
Nathaniel Horecock: Because I
Dave (GM): basically I simply forgot to put it on that map.
Jimmy Harlesden: Anyway, it
Dave (GM): was on this map.
Jimmy Harlesden: So is there actually a courthouse in town?
Nathaniel Horecock: There must be, but I shouldn't.
Dave (GM): There isn't, but the community hall number 18 Yep. On that map is, basically repurposed
Jimmy Harlesden: as a courthouse whenever
Dave (GM): the court needs to sit.
Jimmy Harlesden: Mhmm. Which
Dave (GM): is alright. Well, it's been making.
Nathaniel Horecock: Alright. Here we go.
Dave (GM): Okay. Yeah. So you've you ride in, what, riding down to the
Nathaniel Horecock: Sheriff's office.
Dave (GM): Sheriff's office. Yeah.
Marion Freeman: Which way are we coming from? Which end of town?
Dave (GM): You're coming from the east to the west. Alright.
Marion Freeman: Riding through town then.
Nathaniel Horecock: Yep. Yep. I'm just thinking, shall we
Marion Freeman: Slowly. Slow the rest.
Nathaniel Horecock: Through the should we do some fish or flicking?
Marion Freeman: Moves in
Nathaniel Horecock: the roof.
Dave (GM): So are are you 2 still deputized?
Nathaniel Horecock: No. I'm just saying, should I give them the badge? I might as well give them the badge because they're coming in as what debt witnesses.
Jimmy Harlesden: Witnesses as deputized that time that it hasn't been. We were. Yeah. You're deputizing us for the, purpose of this trial.
Nathaniel Horecock: Yes. Yeah. You were deputies at the time, weren't you? You must wear the badges again to
Dave (GM): beat yourselves targets. Oh,
Jimmy Harlesden: He's a
Dave (GM): shit of truth.
Nathaniel Horecock: Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Sure of
Dave (GM): it. Okay. Cool. Yeah. The town's yeah. It's relatively busy. It's got a few 100 residents. It's a beef town, so there are, you know, beef stores.
Nathaniel Horecock: Beef store.
Dave (GM): Yeah. Beef outfits here. Originally settled about 20 years ago, 25 years ago by Mexican settlers, and then it became the the seat of Lincoln County in 18/69 when Lincoln County was created in 18/69. So, yeah, as you ride down the down the road, you go past the Murphy Dolan store, the Lincoln Hotel, the White Elephant Saloon, the Ben Ellis Hotel. There's a livery that you pass as well. A few houses, a couple some of them very, very large, Adobe buildings. There's a store Tunstall store you pass by. Boarding house, and then you go past the holy trinity trinity saloon and the church, past the community hall, and you eventually end up at the sheriff's office. You the sheriff's office is occupied by, not by the sheriff
Nathaniel Horecock: No. I'm not.
Dave (GM): But by the the deputy that you met before, Rufus Malcolm, and he's in there. So the office is it's a small, like, rectangular building, and there's a door that goes into, like, what is an office, and there's a it's very basic. It's really just a table and a chair in there with some hooks on the wall to hang hats and guns and things on. Malcolm is sat behind the desk. Mhmm. He's got a shotgun on the desk.
Nathaniel Horecock: Right.
Dave (GM): It's right in front of him. There's a door on the left that goes into another room. And in that room, the doors are jarred, and you can see what looks like a heavy wooden, like, trapdoor over a pit.
Nathaniel Horecock: That'd be the cells, is it?
Dave (GM): And that's the cell.
Nathaniel Horecock: Yeah. Lovely.
Marion Freeman: Oh, yeah.
Nathaniel Horecock: Okay. Well, it's a good Yeah.
Dave (GM): It's basically a hole in the ground with with a big wooden lid on it, which is
Nathaniel Horecock: Oh, charming.
Dave (GM): Which which is what was the cell in Lincoln in 18 70 early 18 seventies.
Nathaniel Horecock: Well, I was good. Good.
Jimmy Harlesden: So he sees you and goes,
Dave (GM): ah, sheriff sheriff Alcock.
Nathaniel Horecock: Alcock. Good day. Yeah.
Dave (GM): Glad. Glad. Glad. It's good to see you. Glad you came
Nathaniel Horecock: Thank you. Nice to know before we should come into our duty.
Dave (GM): Excellent. And a couple of days ahead of the trial. Cool. Which is
Nathaniel Horecock: Oh, okay. Yeah. Sorry. It's all Larry.
Dave (GM): Oh, you might be finding you sure if
Nathaniel Horecock: it's alright? Yeah. I'd like to see
Dave (GM): you and your deputies. Yeah.
Nathaniel Horecock: Yeah. Oh, yeah. Right before the COVID arrived in in good good order.
Marion Freeman: Anyway.
Dave (GM): Yo. Yo. Yo, bro.
Nathaniel Horecock: Mhmm. Well, like I said, you're still here to fulfill our duties at the end of that, incident.
Dave (GM): Yes. So, yep, you will be called to called to testify.
Nathaniel Horecock: So may I ask what what's what is this, the judge oh, what's his judge's name? Brian Davis. What's he like as a he's kind of used performing with charm, and I try and use my southern charm here, shall I?
Dave (GM): No. He's happy to talk about about the judge. So his nickname's Jock. He's he's kind of not the most, you know, well read judge that there's been, but he, he's tried a few big cases. He's, he's a he's a well respected man in in Albuquerque.
Nathaniel Horecock: Fair enough.
Dave (GM): The one thing that you you should be aware of, He's, he's, the cousin of, Mary McGinn. Really?
Marion Freeman: Tales of the old west is brought to you by Effect. The music is old west game by Stu Venable, used with kind permission of the angry folk media empire.