Intro: Shh. It's all right. No. No, it's not all right. Nothing is all right. Now, now, please, please, turn the ship around. I'm not going to leave you alone. I'm not like Foster. No, don't. I'll shoot. Hey, not. I said stop! I saw the way you were looking at me before. What? The way you took care of me and touched me. You want me. You're crazy. I know you want me. That's why you wanted Foster gone. So we can be alone. So I sent him away. for you, for your writing, for us. No! You're a murderer! Stop! Well, then shoot me. Kill me. Shoot me. Shoot me! Every man must choose a mate Katrina and I choose you I choose you
Gary Hill: Hey folks this is Cinema beef the burnt ends those are the crispy pieces on the end of the barbecue that they taste oh so good or maybe bitter in some of these in this sense but it's a single review show that we do just to have more reviews out there and you know watch some fun stuff and we are watching tonight Circuit Breaker aka Inhumanoid from 1996 we'll get into all that after I introduce our guest he is one third of my broadcasting team on the last called Torchy's and he has this whole network of podcasts known as the Cinema Degeneration podcast. I don't know what you call podcast network but there's a bunch of them. I'm sure you'll tell us all about them. Cameron Scott is here. How you doing sir? I'm doing pretty good.
Cameron Scott: I'm pretty excited to talk about this one because this is part of that Roger Corman lineup that we were discussing and yeah I'm pretty excited. I got a lot of thoughts on this one.
Gary Hill: I didn't know there were so many. We'll talk about it. This series, this is part of the Roger Corman Presents series that was on Showtime that were like full length movies. Apparently there was a whole season of like 15 or something and then like a whole second season of these. Just putting out, I'm sure with the help of Julie, because they're under the New Horizons label. If you rent something like this. Yeah, we're getting to the plot and the meat and potatoes of this. Circuit Break Reiki Inhumanoid. Look for it at your IMDB. It says... A family of three is traveling in space where they encounter a stranded spaceship. They manage to pull out one survivor who's in shock. However, when the father goes on to investigate the ship, he finds that everyone was murdered. Suddenly, the stranger leaves him on a damaged spaceship and starts to terrorize his wife and daughter. You know what? Fuck you people. It's just a little longer. It shows up to me that Stranger is really an emotionally unstable Android program without morals. Making him go on a killer rampage. Well, he did that already. Who will survive? The fun thing about these movies is they star a bunch of genre people that you love. Richard Grieco, take him, relieve him. He's charismatic as fuck to me. Plays Adam, our robot man.
Cameron Scott: He seems like he's the one person really acting in this movie.
Gary Hill: Yeah, yeah, yeah. You're not wrong about that. Everybody else is just kind of, eh, they're just sort of there, you know? Laura Harris, who I don't recognize for much, plays Katrina, the wife. Corbin Bernson, the great Corbin Bernson, plays Foster, the husband. Brittany Ashton Holmes, who might not sound too familiar, but she plays Amy, the daughter, but she was Darla in that Little Rascals movie that I'm pretty fond of. I think it's funny still to this day. Edie McClure shows up as Dr. Mary Ann Snow. Robin Gamble shows up as Adam's father, I guess, as Dr. Milton, you know, a little Paradise Lost right there.
Cameron Scott: Oh, yeah.
Gary Hill: And there's some other folks in this movie.
Cameron Scott: Not a big cast, though. It's pretty isolated.
Gary Hill: Pretty tight, yeah, pretty tight. This is directed by and written by Victoria Muspratt, who didn't do a ton, if I remember correctly. I'm going to look real fast. Directed, I think, either a remake or not, Macon County Jail from 1997, White Wolves 3 from 1993, and apparently directed what we call Magic and Mischief from this year. Didn't do a whole lot, though.
Cameron Scott: Quite a hiatus, though, isn't it?
Gary Hill: Yeah, I know. If you watch it, though, it's not so bad to where you wouldn't work again, but I guess maybe it was a bad experience. I don't know. I'm sure there's not a lot of research done about this movie, so we're going to talk about it right now. Cameron, thoughts and possibly prayers about Inhumanoid, a.k.a. Circuit Breaker.
Cameron Scott: Oh, well, geez. Inhumanoid, a.k.a. Circuit Breaker, a.k.a. Roger Corman Presents Circuit Breaker. I swore I had never seen this movie. until you had suggested it. I looked and I'm like, okay, this looks familiar. And then I started to watch it. I'm like, I'm pretty sure I've seen this, but it was so, I'm just going to blow my load right here. It was so lackluster in spots that I feel like it was easily forgotten if I had seen it. But it's really weird. It's a mismatched kind of movie. It crossbreeds genres or different tropes. It's basically a healthy dose of, you know, the Terminator with a healthy dose of Dead Calm, you know, the George Miller joint. And it's really weird. It's very uneven. I do like how it starts at the ending, so to speak, without blowing everything here right off the beginning. It culminates in the adventure that it goes on with Adam, a.k.a. Richard Grieco, and his Andrew character. But it's basically – it's a lot of dead calm. I mean we're – Richard Grieco is playing the Billy Zane character and you got this Laura Harris playing the Nicole Kidman character who is like a troubled young lady who's – I had a thing like because a note I made here at the beginning was motherfucking Edie McClure being all judgy with her like the fact that all former drug addicts are just horrible people, right? And it's – I think it suffers from not having enough Edie McClure in it too. I just – I find her to be a very calming presence in movies. She's like a comfort food actor. You see her and you're just like, oh, it's Edie. But it does have a great cast. The cast is pretty stacked for such a small, isolated, reservoir dogs kind of cast. Not very many people in it. But Corbin Bernson is being all Corbin, and Richard Rico is being suave for the rapey, rapey Adam Milton, I guess you could say. Or do we just call him Adam at this point? I'm not really sure.
Gary Hill: Yeah, you just call him Adam.
Cameron Scott: It's very, very biblical in that sense. Yeah. Yeah, I mean, they did everything, but like I pulled out three ribs to make this motherfucker. But yeah, I would say this is only recommending, only recommendable for somebody that is a hardcore sci-fi nerd like myself, because it's bad. It's all sorts of bad, but it teeters on the edge of being so bad it's good. So I have to kind of give it a pass. Like I said, it's a little weird. It's a little out there. But yeah, I have to admit, as bad as it was and as kind of lame as it was at some points, I don't know what this says about my tastes here, but I liked it. It was horrible, and I loved it.
Gary Hill: I mean, it has to do with Greco, right? Because, you know, even in bad stuff, you know, he always had a certain charisma about him that could really carry a production like this. I mean, if he watched stuff like it, if looks could kill, which, you know, it is a fun movie, but it's really stupid and it wouldn't work without Greco in it. It just wouldn't. I mean, this was the guy that replaced Johnny Depp on 121 Jump Street when he went to go be more famous in Hollywood. They needed that face, and that face kind of stuck around and acted in genre cinema that really elevated what could have been a real piece of crap.
Cameron Scott: Right, right. Like I was saying earlier, Richard Grieco feels like he's the only person really acting in this. Him and Edie McClure. Edie McClure feels like she's acting her ass off, but everybody else is – even Corbin Bernson, who does a permissible job. But, like, everybody else just kind of feels like they're sort of sleepwalking through this one, if I'm making any sense there.
Gary Hill: Oh, you are. You are, because you've got Laura Harris as Katrina, the wife and mother. She's playing this whole, oh, nobody believes in me because I was addicted to drugs. So I'm just going to play this really dry and sort of care of my daughter but fucking resent her at the same time. Because the reason, because in the hilarious scene of this movie, I know Child Death isn't funny, but they don't show it or anything.
Cameron Scott: It's done tastefully. I'll say it's done very tastefully.
Gary Hill: It's done very tastefully. Adam puts Amy, the little girl, inside this room or something. She thinks they're playing. But there's a giant spinning fan that keeps getting closer and closer. And she's like, do it again, do it again. And he's like, okay. And then, of course, it gets close enough to murder her. and you know the whole her reaction to her daughter's death is kind of like a like an act coming down in a way like yeah I'm so emotionally gone from all these drugs that I'm not doing and you know which leads to you know the sunset boulevard beginning that this movie did not deserve of the oh yeah she's on drugs she fucking did it man you know get her get her get her
Cameron Scott: you know right right
Gary Hill: Our Devo slash paintball commandos that you see in the beginning of this movie, they're wearing Lego hats and pads and stuff.
Cameron Scott: Yeah, they look like fucking extras from a Devo music video.
Gary Hill: Oh, man. But yeah, it really works. And you forgot to mention one thing that I thought of immediately when you find out Grieco's a robot and he's all horned up was Saturn 3. It reminded me a lot of that. Oh, yeah. Yeah, it does. If you don't know what that film is, it's a film where, um, who's, um, who's the world-famous actor that I'm blanking on? Oh, Kirk Douglas? Kirk Douglas and Farrah Fawcett invite a marooned Harvey Keitel, very dubbed in that movie, and his special robot on board, and he transports his robot, his conscience into this robot who's very horny for Farrah Fawcett. That's what this reminded me of. This sentient thing, you know, whose only weakness is his horniness, apparently. It plays really well in this movie. Like, yeah, you know what? My only weakness is girls that don't want to fuck me. She's kind of like a toxic male robot in a way.
Cameron Scott: Yeah, yeah.
Gary Hill: So it was really strange how rapey this thing was. Like, yeah, you know what? I want sex and I don't care how I get it. and this woman has fucking strange dreams about a fucking beast man for no reason that goes nowhere in this plot.
Cameron Scott: Yeah, we gotta talk about that a little bit.
Gary Hill: I don't know if this is like some weird come down fantasy that she has after she was addicted to drugs. Her, I guess, wishing that Corbin Bernstein was like this beast man that would fuck her in her dream, which I gotta say this for the filmmaker, you stole from Nightmare on Elm Street wholesale because the scene where she's walking up in the nightgown, all you're missing is a little more darkness in that hallway, and I'm waiting for Freddy Krueger to come out and come kill Amanda Weiss. I'm waiting for it to happen.
Cameron Scott: Yeah, I'm waiting for the daughter character to pop up, the little Darla to come up and start going, one, two, Freddy's coming for you.
Gary Hill: I'm waiting because it was filmed just like that, and it kind of hurt my soul a little bit. Like, hey, just steal it wholesale, and that's fine. but it leads you to this thing that maybe maybe Adam is a dream but of course he's not but it just goes nowhere this desire to have sex with a beast man go ahead brother I'm sorry
Cameron Scott: yeah the beast man the whole sequence is just like all of a sudden again Edie McClurg leads in with her former drug addicts are just horrible people that can't be trusted or trusted it in any way, shape, or form. And then it goes right into our actress Katrina, the character Katrina, having this weird werewolf rape fantasy. And it's so odd. It is so strange. And it has no place in the movie whatsoever. I thought for sure, I'm like, okay, well, maybe in this future, this weird sci-fi future we have here, maybe we're going to get some fucking werewolves. Nope, just in that werewolf freak fantasy thing that happened. It was really, really weird. And I would have liked some more clarification to why that was chosen. As a filmmaker myself, I was just thinking to myself, okay, this made no sense. This just felt like fucking random as hell.
Gary Hill: It makes you want to fucking write something in the script for yourself and say, well, here's the scene where she was sexually assaulted when she was addicted to drugs. And this guy had an incredibly hairy back, so she thought it was a wolfman or something. You know? Yeah, yeah. I'm not really belittling sexually assaulted people, but this being in the thing, you expect it to be some kind of foreshadowing. And not just, you know, which I will say that there's a part of the film where Greco reveals, Adam reveals, how he murdered his whole crew, which are retractable claws that come out of his hand. Now, the extension of these said claws look really bad, but when they're out and they're out to kill people, these claws, it's actually pretty good practical makeup. And it just looks really bad when they're first extending out.
Cameron Scott: Yeah, that one little quick CGI scene of them kind of popping out is really bad. You could have just excised that entire shot, and it would have been all the better for the movie.
Gary Hill: Yeah, but he can have claw hands like, you know, something they're ripping off. Again, Emory on Elm Street. Yeah. At least it's something. It's not a werewolf sex fantasy that doesn't go anywhere. But I've got to say for Edie McClurg, though, that this is not your normal Edie McClurg. She's not playing Mrs. Poole or that kind of character. She's playing it straight. And I don't see many roles of her doing that and playing the scientist type person. And it's different, but it's a welcoming difference. She's not playing that same character. Oh, definitely. Yeah. Oh, go ahead. I'm sorry.
Cameron Scott: No, I was just going to say definitely. I thought it was a different change of character for her. Usually she's played the character with a little bit more whimsy to her, a little bit more comedy and whatnot. but she's playing it pretty straight here, and I appreciate that. This is one of the first roles I've seen of her portraying a character like that, so yeah, thumbs up.
Gary Hill: Another thing, this film's ripped off a lot of things, and Alien being another one of those things, right to the point of them looking for, not really looking for a salvage, looking for survivors, but she knocks Adam out of the airlock in this movie, just like in Alien. Of course, he's not dead, which is one thing I can appreciate about this movie. It's like, oh, she knocked him out of the airlock. It's a great false ending to make you think, oh, he's out in space somewhere. Like, no, he held onto your spaceship and now he's back on board again to beat the shit out of your husband and possibly sexually assault you.
Cameron Scott: Oh, yeah. It's something I wanted to touch base on. We already mentioned a bit before. This dude killed her daughter. Like, and it's revealed pretty soon, like after he gets on the ship, you know, because, of course, let's be a good Samaritan where we're all, you know, in space where, you know, Foster, Orton Bergson character is, you know, boards the ship, finds, you know, Adam. I'm using air quotes here that you can't see Adam, you know, that Greco guy, and, you know, brings him on board and then he's unceremoniously goes back onto Adam's ship to look for more survivors because he said there's what? What did he say in the confines of the movie? There was four escape hatches.
Gary Hill: Yeah, 35 crew aboard, I think he said.
Cameron Scott: Yeah, yeah, and that everybody was dead, but there could be somebody else left on there, so he gets them to go back on. Within minutes, within like five minutes, he's done already killed the daughter. You know, I was just like, okay. We killed the kid, and the mom, Katrina, has this total non-reaction to it. She just like, it was just like somebody like, oh, no. It was like the old George Carlin joke. Oh, shit, I dropped the noodles. Just, oh, shit. I just dropped the noodles on the floor. Oh, shit. It wasn't like, oh, my daughter just got sucked into the garbage disposal and got ate up like a Cuisinart. Like, no, no, no, no, no. But I got one question. How did the blood end up on the Raggedy Andal that was outside of the garbage lock area?
Gary Hill: I have no answer for that. Maybe the door was a little bit faulty. I couldn't tell you.
Cameron Scott: I'm going to say, plot holes, plot holes.
Gary Hill: If the force of the fan was enough to grind a child, the child grinder 2000, not in a sexual way, but in a grinding a child kind of way. I imagine there was a substantial splatter. And, yeah, I don't know. Let's see when they dial out and say, you know what? But by the way, Katrina, I fixed your problem. And the whole conversation they have, I guess, goes into it. When she's like, the child's hungry. Because your child gets hungry. You've got to feed it and take care of it. She goes, now see, I'm like her slave. And blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. See, that's another thing. She's playing as a woman of whimsy that is on drugs. But she's supposed to be not on drugs in this movie. Even when her daughter gets taken by the child grinder 2000, her reaction is the reaction of a person who is on drugs. Like, I just watched my child get shot in the chest. This is how I'm going to react if I am on drugs. And she's not supposed to be on drugs. It's strange. Her whole performance is strange.
Cameron Scott: It felt like she was acting in two different movies from one scene to the next. But I agree that the exchange of dialogue between Grieco and her is really odd because he tells her straight up, you won't have to be her slave anymore. You're free now. It was like, well, damn, you could have just – could have gave her up for adoption. You didn't have to go into the Child Grinder 3000 as you so eloquently put it. And I also – I mean I also did not buy a bit his story like in the beginning when he's telling her. Like I don't know why I would believe him because it's Richard Grieco, you know. But – and he's shady as fuck. But when he's telling her this, she should not have bought his story about, oh, Foster got jettisoned from the connection with the mothership and there's bodies everywhere. But there's a nuclear breach and my ship exploded. So your husband is gone. I'm Foster now. call me Foster. And then he gets super creepy. He's like, yeah, call me Foster. Say it. Say it. It's just super fucking creepy, man.
Gary Hill: The part where Foster finds Dr. Milton on the board of the spaceship, and they're having that conversation about, you know, Adams, you know, he's perfect in every way, except for, you know, his emotions could get the better of him. I want to say so bad. He had to kill everybody on board, and he sees your ship. It's like he could spill all the sex on board. So he had to go get some, you know.
Cameron Scott: Oh, yeah. That's so weird. Like, I love, like, when Foster finds the real Dr. Milton, and he's like the other Adam, the one who claimed to be Dr. Milton, didn't he say he was only two months old, said he's basically a baby? Yeah, yeah. So he's a baby two-month-old android. So he has no morals. That's something he said. He made him without morals because that seemed like a great thing to do. Because this also harkens to something we're dealing with now with AI. It's like, you want Terminators? Because that's how you get fucking Terminators, man. You create robots, androids, AI without a set of morals in place. It just seems shady. I'll just say that.
Gary Hill: Yeah, it does. especially you know the the way he is i mean he's just like any other toxic male that that there is and it's almost like they instilled that in him and i'm watching this movie with the mute on right now just so i can watch it in our time and i'm getting to the finale which is is is the most exciting part of this film so in a way i'm glad they sunset boulevard of this bitch because you know once they get him back on board and the daughter's dead they can't fit they can't put back together again because the child grinder 2000 did a great job of tearing her up but um right they fixed the husband they fix adam too and adam is just just killing everybody on the ship right
Cameron Scott: now and then this is the last third of this movie is stellar the last third is great it is stellar
Gary Hill: it is and to get there though it's just a weird experience so i wish there was more more and more like this, but even in the end, you know, Katrina, she's like under psychiatric care because she supposedly murdered her child, and she almost has this look on her face like, yep, I'm waiting for sex from Adam. Like, yep, I'm waiting for it.
Cameron Scott: I'm waiting for it, you know. Again, it's just like Nicole Kidman's character
Gary Hill: in Dead Column. She ends up using
Cameron Scott: the sex as a weapon because at least in this movie, unlike Dead Column, sex can kill this motherfucker or at least overload him you know because he's not you know he doesn't know anything about these emotions that's the thing that the the the actual doctor says is that you know if he gets overloaded by certain emotions we're not going to say exactly which ones but if he gets overloaded he'll like he'll uh you know he'll reset you know or like have a shutdown like a computer would. So I think that's what they're doing here with the Katrina character. She's using it but she does kill him. Okay. I know we're jumping way, way, way to the head here jumping all around.
Gary Hill: He does have to die eventually. She is pulling the whole reverse psychology. Yes, I will have sex with you now but I figured out a way to kill you. So yeah, she does get him in the end. The journey before that, it wasn't psychological in her part. It was just like oh wow, I'm playing this distressed mother who just lost her child to the child grab her 2000. Let me act just like this, like I am on drugs, but I'm not on drugs. And plus there's this whole plot where they just drop all together to say, hey, we have to have this little girl back to us within 48 hours. Can you do that? Oh, by the way, plot to the movie, let's stop to see what this broken spaceship is about. You know, not concerned about this 48 hours that could possibly be, you know, detrimental to their child.
Cameron Scott: Yeah, because old Corbin Bernson is more intrigued with saving, salvaging this ship or salvaging what might be left of the crew than trying to save his own daughter. And what does he get for his troubles? He gets clawed up by fucking Greco Terminator. Oh, they fixed him, though. He's okay. You know? Yeah, yeah. I do love the part when Grieco has got a hold of him after he's done sliced and diced him like so much confetti. And Foster is just laying there, and she starts to shoot at him. She gets Grieco in the shoulder with one shot, but then he just pulls up Corbin Bernson and uses him as a human shield. And she has this look like, oops, I accidentally shot my husband. Oh, well, what can you do? Dum-de-dum-de-dum. dum dum dum dum dum
Gary Hill: yeah exactly we won't go too crazy further than that we were pretty deep into this like I said the finale is the best part of the movie even right now she's like Adam is convinced that you know she's going to give it up because she's playing pretty much the same tone she's been playing this entire movie but she's using it to her advantage now and it's I'm looking forward to diving into more of these Roger Cormor presents because all I really remember is Black Scorpion and that was the one that was on VHS at your store a lot was that one.
Cameron Scott: Yeah, there was actually a Black Scorpion 2 that came out as well.
Gary Hill: Any final things you'd like to say about this Gemma film? I'll have to say one thing.
Cameron Scott: If you're looking for some knockdown, dragout, great sci-fi action, don't look for it in the first half of this movie. Stay for the second half. Folks, if you're listening in and home, I implore you, if you can find this movie streaming anywhere or you have a copy of it on old school VHS or whatnot, watch it. It's worth sitting through and trudging through the first half of this movie to get the much better stellar second half. Because I feel like all the action, all the blood, all the gore, all the nudity, all the little tidbits that you look for in a Roger Corman produced movie is there at the end. And as As far as the other Roger Corman-produced movies of this, I'm always down to review some more of these because some of these were really good. I remember Burial of the Rats being really good. They did a remake of Wasp Woman and Not of This Earth. That was really good. There's a remake. If you haven't seen it, dude, I definitely got to recommend the remake they did of A Bucket of Blood because that is good shit.
Gary Hill: That cast is stacked in that thing, too. I was surprised that it was as stacked, that cast. I mean, these films, I only looked like the first 15 of them, but it's pretty stacked with genre people. I mean, Paul Bartelsch has been a few of these things, and I'm not surprised there, but before he passed on, he was in some of this stuff. And yes, you can find Circuit Breaker on YouTube for free to watch, an hour and 35 minutes right there.
Cameron Scott: So, yeah, it's a nice, decent. It's a good watch because it's like it's barely an hour and a half long. So it's not like these movies of today where everything is two hours and 20 minutes long and you just got to you got to carve out a whole chunk of your afternoon to watch it. It's a good fun watch. If you want something cheesy, you want something a little, you know, off the beaten path. You want something a little bit something you can sink your teeth into. You know what I mean? that's not on the road so traveled, I could recommend this movie.
Gary Hill: Yeah, I could recommend it too. It's a heavy recommend, but like Cameron said, if you think the first half drags, once you get back to the present day of the movie's premise, it really gets exciting. And she's just awful. That's like the biggest flaw of this movie is her and her acting. And I don't know who gave her direction to act like that, but I guess the reason why this director didn't do a whole lot more movies, I guess, because he made her act terribly around genre people who, Corbin Bernson and Richard Grieco, Ian McClurg especially, who know the game. So they don't need direction. They just think, hey... Yeah, I mean, like, Corbin
Cameron Scott: Bernson is doing what Corbin Bernson does, and Richard Grieco is doing what Richard Grieco does. But they're all, like, professionals, and the lady that played Katrina, what was her name, Laura Harris, just it just felt like she was not prepared for this or maybe it was like like you said maybe it was the direction that she was given maybe it wasn't solely on her you know i don't know but i yeah i felt like she was the weakest link but one thing i want to mention though this has a fucking uh a really good soundtrack that's done by marco beltrami that he has done a ton of fucking genre stuff he has done and so much friggin' music that is not even funny. But, yeah, stick around for the soundtrack. The music in this movie is really stellar.
Gary Hill: And the in-space stuff looks decent, too. I forgot to mention that, you know, a lot of, like, old-school techniques used, you know, matte painting on top of models, which didn't look awful. And I've seen a lot worse than this movie, let's put it that way.
Cameron Scott: Oh, same, same. Seen a lot worse.
Gary Hill: I mean, Jason X, as much as I love it, you know, Those effects look exponentially worse than this with spacecrafts. And it's a nice touch, the old school model on matte painting. And, you know, it's fun. It's fun. This is good enough. If I had to rate it, though, and I'll ask you for your rating, too, I'd give it better than Middle of the Road because of where it goes in the finale. It's a six, I think. What do you think, Cam?
Cameron Scott: You know, I was thinking a six as well. I'll match your six because I feel like anything a five and under I can't recommend. But, you know, above a five I can recommend. So, yeah, I'll give it a six. It's better than most of your run-of-the-mill sci-fi movies of this era because it didn't rely on a whole lot of CGI. And I felt like at the time when they relied on CGI, it just made it look cheaper. And I like a lot of the models and the matte paintings that they used and whatnot. you know, the forced perspectives they use for the outer space shots, I felt like it worked for this kind of film. And I was happy to not see a whole lot of CGI. So, yeah, yeah, I'll match your six.
Gary Hill: All right, cool. I think Cameron will be in with me on the next one too, unless I put one up before, but the next time you'll hear Cameron, you'll heal, you'll heal, you'll heal Cameron. You'll hear Cameron on one of these. We're doing a film that neither of us have seen before, but called Night Force from 1987. it stars Linda Blair and one of the Van Patten boys James Van Patten and Richard Lynch in a rare good guy role I'll give that spoiler right now he's not playing a bad guy and this is 1987 which is really strange for Richard Lynch
Cameron Scott: yeah to not play an evil conniving bastard
Gary Hill: yeah very strange this is directed by what's this guy's name I just had Lawrence David Folds, who gave us genre stuff like The Young Warriors, which is another toxic male movie. Don't Go Near the Park, which is one I haven't seen. I've heard of it. Check it out, though.
Cameron Scott: Don't Go Near the Park.
Gary Hill: Yeah, it sounds familiar. It's from 1979, though. Anyway, two siblings cursed in prehistoric times survived for millennia by feasting on the entrails of young people, crawling at what eventually becomes a park in contemporary Los Angeles. That just sounds crazy. I'm in.
Cameron Scott: I'm in on that one.
Gary Hill: Starring Aldo Ray. And I'd imagine a very, very young Linnea Quigley. This is 1979. But I watched this one already. And I can tell you, spoiler on the review, I had a pretty good time with it. And we'll get to that next, though. Night Force from 1987 on your next Burnt Ends episode. Cameron, I mentioned that you do a bunch of stuff with your cinema degeneration. Lay it down, man. What you got coming?
Cameron Scott: Well, I got so many shows that I couldn't possibly mention them all here because I'm a crazy son of a bitch that does way more than he should. But a couple of the ones that I have coming up here as of late, I just dropped an episode on Zombie 8 for a show called Sequel 2 Deja Vu, which is all just sequels, sequels, more sequels. I'm getting ready to drop another brilliantly insane episode, which is the podcast I do on nothing but Nicolas Cage movies. We're getting ready to drop 8mm sometime either tomorrow or the day after, depending on how deep I get into the editing. And for Grindhouse Pizzeria, all my Grindhouse Exploitation drive-in fare, we are doing Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry, which is a fucking phenomenal car chase flick with Peter Fonda.
Gary Hill: I recently watched 8mm, and it doesn't go too good for Nicolas Cage in that movie. It's like the more rapey ending of his Wicker Man. It's like, yeah, you know what? He's looking for a machine. It's going to go real bad for him. So spoiler for 8mm, you know. Yeah, it doesn't go well for anybody in that movie.
Cameron Scott: No. Especially not Joaquin Phoenix. It does really not go well for him. Nobody wins in that movie. They don't. But that's everything I got coming up in the pipeline here in the next couple of days, next week or so. Yeah.
Gary Hill: Cool. Got stuff burning in the fire, too, on this end. Recording some beef on Thursday night with Cameron, actually, as a guest, more than likely. He agreed to do it. And Torchy's on Sunday night with Wild Bill in our Patreon episode of The Shootist featuring John Wayne.
Cameron Scott: I'm looking forward to watching this shoot us again it's been some years, it used to be my grandpa's favorite move
Gary Hill: nice, yeah I found it it's on Paramount Plus by the way if you have that
Cameron Scott: I do
Gary Hill: yeah, look what you did me were here supposed to do an episode today my fucking brain got fried because of work obligations Shaolin Soccer is the next weapon on that one Dragon Ball Z soccer player is just murdering the ball and doing insane things within the soccer games, starring and directed by the great Stephen Chow. That should be a fun conversation. It's not a dumb movie. It's just an insane movie. That's the bit I've been on my end. And we'll be back here right in the smoker with you guys with Knife Wars from 1987, like I mentioned. I'm pretty sure this might be on YouTube, too, if you guys want to watch ahead. I will look quickly while I have you guys on the line. why not right theme music sung by Linda Blair by the way it's one of the most 80's things you'll ever hear and I'm wondering
Cameron Scott: more 80's than Chuck Norris singing the Walker Texas Ranger theme song
Gary Hill: when the eyes of a ranger are upon you all the wrong you do he's gonna see this is not on YouTube by the way I wish it was but if you can find it go for it it's a cool 75 minutes we'll talk about it next episode though 75 minutes that hardly even has time to suck there you go that makes it efficient right come on now this has been the Burnt Ends and we'll see you guys all again next time
Cameron Scott: later