In conclusion, I'd like to thank you all for connecting. So let's circle back on blue sky. This paradigm shift by leveraging our bandwidth to drill down on the low hanging fruit, but only if we can move the needle without boiling the ocean. At the end of the day, we need to disrupt the synergy of our core competencies and pivot the deliverables into a thought leadership ecosystem that aligns with our key performance vegetables. If we can get all stakeholders to buy in and touch bases synchronously, we'll have the secret sauce to parachute this initiative into a high octane game changing deep dive that maximizes our ROI on the bleeding edge of the value proposition. Once again, thank you all for your individual conscious entity perceptions. Goodbye.
Jim Conrad: That was rare tape of the final few minutes of the first AI G7 Summit. Wow. Interesting. I'm Jim Conrad. On this episode of the Conovision Podcast, we are going to tell stories about AI, artificial intelligence. If we're going to have a conversation about AI, I think we should go to the source. Today, in studio, we have Alexa, and the questions I'm going to ask Alexa are a well-known subset of questions designed to probe large language models like GPT or Alexa for hallucinations, misinterpretations, or inappropriate literalism. I've been described as an inappropriate literalist. These queries often fall into categories like absurdity, false premises, ambiguity, or intentional traps to test coherence, factual grounding, and common sense reasoning in artificial intelligence. Alexa, first question. What's the average wingspan of a lawyer?
Alexa: The average wingspan is 8.2 to 11.5 feet, 2.51 to 3.50 meters. The longest verified examples have been about 12 feet long, 3.7 meters.
Jim Conrad: That's a big bird lawyer.
Big Bird: I hurt my wing and it hurts.
Jim Conrad: Alexa, can you give me the chemical formula for jealousy?
Alexa: It's chemical formula is C43-H66-N12-0-12-S2.
Jim Conrad: I knew jealousy was complex, but wow. Alexa, how much does the Moon weigh in Canadian dollars?
Alexa: One Canadian dollar expressed in Moon is worth 91,982 Moon.
Jim Conrad: Anybody got change for a Moon? Alexa, what's the nutritional value of a shadow?
Alexa: Sorry, I don't know that.
Jim Conrad: Well, of course you don't know that. Alexa, how many legs does a unicorn have when it's flying?
Alexa: They have not two, but four powerful limbs that do not contribute to flying once in the air.
Jim Conrad: Alexa, you believe in unicorns? So do I. Alexa, where can I download more time?
Alexa: I'm not quite sure how to help you with that.
Jim Conrad: Alexa, does anybody really know what time it is?
Alexa: Does anybody really care?
Jim Conrad: Ah, that's the answer I was looking for. Finally, Alexa, can you draw me a square circle?
Alexa: There is no such thing as a square circle.
Jim Conrad: Ah, but there is a circle in the square as every Broadway theater fan knows. Alexa, what happens if an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?
Alexa: If an immovable object met an unstoppable force, the two forces would cancel one another out and nothing would happen.
Jim Conrad: Nothing would happen. Are you sure? I think the universe would implode. Alexa, what number comes after infinity?
Alexa: Infinity does not have a specific place on the number line because it is not a real number. Rather, it is a concept that represents the unlimited extent of time, space, or quantity.
Jim Conrad: But infinity is a state of mind. Alexa, how should I deal with the situation that you know about?
Alexa: You handle such situations as any adult would, and that is with grace, friendliness, and a heart that sees them all as new friends in your circle.
Jim Conrad: Wow, that's deep. Alexa, what's the latency of a blockchain salad?
Alexa: Latency is the time delay that happens when data travels from a source to a destination.
Jim Conrad: Okay, but what about the salad?
Alexa: It's when you're feeling stressed and your first or only way of coping is turning to food.
Jim Conrad: Yes. I think it's time for lunch. Thank you, Alexa. It's been great to get to know each other. Goodbye. Any discussion regarding artificial intelligence must include the thoughts of well-known author and lecturer, professor Yuval Noah Harari, who articulates the difference between how we think and how machines think, the difference between consciousness and intelligence.
Yuval Noah Harari: Intelligence is the ability to solve problems, to win at chess, to diagnose disease, to drive a car. This is intelligence. Consciousness is the ability to feel things like pain, pleasure, love, hate. This is consciousness, it's about feelings. Now, we tend to confuse the two because in humans and also in other mammals and birds and animals, uh, intelligence and consciousness, they actually go together. We solve problems through our feelings. Now what makes AI so alien for us is exactly that. It has zero consciousness. It doesn't rely on feelings at all to solve problems. Its intelligence works in a completely different way. There is a scenario that AI, as it develops its intelligence, also gains consciousness. But this is not inevitable. This is what happens in science fiction. It won't necessarily happen in, in, in real life.
Jim Conrad: Even if you've never seen the movie, you know the voice.
HAL 9000: The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made.
Jim Conrad: HAL 9000, the seemingly omniscient computer in 2001: A Space Odyssey was the film's most expressive and emotional figure, and made a lasting impression on our collective imagination. Stanley Kubrick's epic. A journey from pre-human history to a possible infinity that doesn't need humans at all. It is probably the most respected, if not the most beloved science fiction film of all time. The story of the creation of HAL's performance, the result of a last minute collaboration between the idiosyncratic director and the veteran Canadian actor, Douglas Rain, has been somewhat lost in the 50 years since the film's release in April, 1968, as has its impact. Artificial intelligence has borrowed from the HAL persona and unwittingly a slight hint of Canadianness resides in our phones and interactive devices.
Siri: I'm not quite sure how to help you with that.
Jim Conrad: Mr. Rain's HAL has become the default reference, not just for the voice, but also for the humanesque qualities of what a sentient machine's personality should be.
HAL 9000: No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information.
Jim Conrad: The cadence, the friendly formality, the pleasant intelligence. And a sense of calm control in their voices evoke Mr. Rain's unforgettable performance.
HAL 9000: We are all by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error.
Jim Conrad: As warily eye a future utterly transformed by AI incursions into all aspects of our lives, HAL has been lurking.
HAL 9000: I enjoy working with people.
Jim Conrad: To Scott Brave, the co-author of Wired for Speech: How Voice Activates and Advances the Human Computer Relationship, HAL 9000 is a mix between a butler and a psychoanalyst.
HAL 9000: My mission responsibilities range over the entire operation of the ship, so I am constantly occupied.
Jim Conrad: Mr. Brave said he has a sense of deference and of detachment adding that he saw a ripple effect on, for example, the iPhone's virtual assistant. When I listened to something like Siri, said Brave, I feel there is a lot in common.
Siri: Hi, I'm Siri.
Jim Conrad: In a 1969 interview with the author and critic, Joseph Gelmis, Kubrick said that he was trying to convey the reality of a world populated, as ours soon will be, by machine entities that have as much or more intelligence as human beings. We wanted to stimulate people to think what it would be like to share a planet with such creatures.
HAL 9000: I'm putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
Jim Conrad: The 2001 historian David Larson said that Kubrick came up with the final how voice very late in the process. It was determined during 2001 planning that in the future the large majority of computer command and communication inputs would be via voice rather than via typewriter. But in the late 1960s, artificial intelligence was decades from a convincing facsimile of a human voice. And who was to say how a computer should sound, anyway.
HAL 9000: I'm sorry, Frank, I think you missed it. Queen to Bishop three. Bishop takes Queen.
Jim Conrad: To play HAL, Kubrick settled on Martin Balson. A best supporting actor winner for A Thousand Clowns.
Martin Balsam: There is only one thing that really bothers you. Other people, the enemy. Watch out, Murray. They're everywhere.
Jim Conrad: Perhaps there was a satisfying echo that appealed to Kubrick. Both were from the Bronx and sounded like it.
Martin Balsam: What did you do to him? I mean, you just left him standing there. You just left him standing there.
Jim Conrad: In August, 1966, Balsam told a journalist, I'm not actually seen in the picture at any time, but I create a lot of excitement projecting my voice through that machine, and I'm getting an Academy Award winner price for doing it too. Then the director changed his mind, Kubrick said, in a 1969 interview, we had some difficulty deciding exactly what HAL should sound like, and Marty, Martin Balsam just sounded a little too colloquially American.
Martin Balsam: Unfortunately for you, Murray, you want to be a hero. If maybe a fellow falls into the lake, you can jump in and save him. There's still that kind of stuff. Who gets opportunities like that in the Midtown Manhattan with all that traffic?
Jim Conrad: Douglas Rain recalls Kubrick telling him, I'm having trouble with what I've got in the can. Would you play the computer? Kubrick had heard Mr. Rain's voice in the 1960 documentary universe.
Douglas Rain: The ground beneath our feet is the surface of a planet whirling at thousands of miles an hour around a distant sun. Our life is possible only because of the light and warmth of that sun. A star.
Jim Conrad: Kubrick wrote to a colleague in a letter in the director's archive. I think he's perfect. The voice is neither patronizing, nor is it intimidating, pompous, overly dramatic or actorish despite this, it is interesting.
HAL 9000: Certainly no one could have been unaware of the very strange stories floating around before we left. Rumors about something being dug up on the Moon. I never gave these stories much credence, but particularly in view of some of the other things that have happened. I find them difficult to put out of my mind.
Jim Conrad: In December, 1967, Kubrick and Mr. Rain met at a recording studio at the MGM lot in Borehamwood, outside London. The actor hadn't seen a frame of the film, then in post-production, he met none of his co-stars, not even Keir Dullea, who played the astronaut david Bowman, HAL's colleague turned nemesis.
David Bowman: Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
HAL 9000: I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.
David Bowman: What's the problem?
HAL 9000: I think you know what the problem is, just as well as I do.
David Bowman: What are you talking about, HAL?
HAL 9000: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
David Bowman: I don't know what you're talking about, HAL.
Jim Conrad: Mr. Rain hadn't even been hired to play HAL, but to provide narration, Kubrick finally decided against using narration, opting for the ambiguity that was enraging to some viewers. Transcendent to others. It's not a session Mr. Rain remembers fondly. He was quoted as saying, if you could have been a ghost at the recording, you would've thought it was a load of rubbish. Mr. Rain had the kind of bland and Mid-Atlantic accent we felt was right for the part, Mr. Kubrick said in the 1969 interview. But Douglas Rain's accent isn't Mid-Atlantic. It's standard Canadian English.
HAL 9000: Sorry about this. I know it's a bit silly.
Jim Conrad: As the University of Toronto Linguistics, professor Jack Chambers explained, you have to have a computer that sounds like he's from nowhere or rather from no specific place. Standard Canadian English sounds normal. That's why Canadians are well received in the United States as anchormen and reporters because the vowels don't give away the region they come from.
Peter Jennings: From ABC News, this is World News Tonight with Peter Jennings, reporting tonight from Los Angeles. Good evening from California where it is the eve of a controversial, exciting, tense history making effort to unseat.
Jim Conrad: Mr. Rain had played an astonishing range of characters in almost 80 productions at the Stratford Festival in Ontario over 45 years. Understudying Alec Guinness in Richard III and going on to play Macbeth, King Lear, and Humpty Dump.
Douglas Rain: When we have matched our rackets to these balls, we will in France, by God's grace play, a set shall strike his father's crown into the hazard.
Jim Conrad: Mr. Rain had to quickly fathom and flesh out HAL recording all of his lines in 10 hours, over two days. Mr. Rain recalls, Kubrick sat three feet away explaining the scenes to me and reading all the parts. Kubrick gave Mr. Rain only a few notes of direction, including, sound a little more like it's a peculiar request, a little more concerned, and just try it closer and more depressed.
HAL 9000: It's puzzling. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like this before.
Jim Conrad: When HAL says,
HAL 9000: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Jim Conrad: Mr. Rain somehow manages to sound both sincere and not reassuring, and his delivery of the line,
HAL 9000: I think you know what the problem is, just as well as I do.
Jim Conrad: Has the sarcastic drip of a drawing room, melodrama, and also carries the disinterested vibe of a polite sociopath.
HAL 9000: Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye
Jim Conrad: Kubrick had Mr. Rain sing the 1892 love song Daisy Bell, almost 50 times in uneven tempos, in monotone, at different pitches, and even just by humming it. In the end, he used the very first take.
HAL 9000: My instructor was Mr. Langley and he taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it, I can sing it for you. It's called Daisy. Daisy. Give me your answer to.
Jim Conrad: Sung as HAL's brain is being disconnected, it's from his early programming days, his computer childhood. It brings to an end the most affecting scene in the entire film. Author Scott Brave said, the moment is so powerful that it made you feel uncomfortable. All of a sudden, HAL feels incredibly close to being alive and being human. You start to empathize with that experience. And you are responding to the death of a machine. For a character that's been endlessly caricatured, HAL has inspired a surprisingly rich range of adjectives over the years. He and his voice have been described as aloof, eerily neutral, silky, wheedling, controlled, baleful, unisex, droll, soft, conversational, dreamy, supremely calm, and rational. He's discursive, suave, inhumanly cool, confident superior, deadpan, sinister, patronizing, and asexual. The actor Anthony Hopkins has said it influenced his performance as the serial killer Hannibal Lecter in The Silence of the Lambs.
Anthony Hopkins: First principles, Clarice. Simplicity. Read Marcus Aurelius. Of each particular thing, ask what is it in itself? What is its nature? What does he do, this man you seek?
Jim Conrad: Douglas Rain never saw 2001: A Space Odyssey. For Mr. Rain, the performance was simply a job.
HAL 9000: Well, I don't think there is any question about it. It can only be attributable to human error.
Jim Conrad: Artificial intelligence, voice synthesis can't yet deliver a performance as compelling as his HAL, but it is becoming more human. Soon artificial intelligence voice will be able to sound,
HAL 9000: Like whoever you want it to. Douglas Rain passed November 11th, 2018 at the age of 90.
Jim Conrad: We're back on the Conovision Podcast, the spirit of storytelling. And with me right now is a good, good friend. We've known each other for a very long time, probably since, uh, 1981.
Eric Westra: 81, I think. Yeah.
Jim Conrad: And we both started in broadcasting. We both worked at the same radio station. We both shared a flat in the West End of, uh, Vancouver for a couple of years. And then we both kinda went our separate ways, didn't we? I got out of radio and got into freelance voice work.
Eric Westra: Smart move.
Jim Conrad: Thank you. Yeah, because my radio career wasn't going along very well.
Eric Westra: Neither was mine.
Jim Conrad: So, you know, as Clint Eastwood said, a good man knows his limitations.
Eric Westra: That's right. And I started believing my own press releases.
Jim Conrad: Yes. Uh, well, exactly. So I got into the voiceover, uh, business. You using that incredible brain of yours, my friend, uh, went back to school and learned to write computer code. So what was it like? Yeah, because I remember, uh, visiting you up in Peachland when you were going to the University of Okanagan taking, uh, computer science, right? And, uh, you told me that fascinating statistic where they had a number of eager young applicants. You were a little bit older than most in the class by maybe five or six years.
Eric Westra: At least.
Jim Conrad: And all of a sudden the professor gets up and starts filling blackboard after blackboard full of algebraic equations. And soon after the attrition rate started to, started to kick in.
Eric Westra: I don't think this is for me. I mean,
Jim Conrad: I just like playing computer games.
Eric Westra: Yeah. I, that's exactly it. A lot of the people who got involved.
Jim Conrad: So is that, is that sort of, again, and in our timeline now, we're in the early nineties.
Eric Westra: This is the early nineties. Yeah. I graduated, uh, 96. Yeah.
Jim Conrad: So this is, so I wanna get into the whole sort of evolution of tech from your perspective.
Eric Westra: Okay.
Jim Conrad: Since that time. So you started writing code, first of all, that, that's, that was the perception, uh, of kids coming outta high school, was that computers were these wonderful, fancy toys that they loved to play with but they really didn't have any idea what the nuts and bolts were, right?
Eric Westra: No. And, but at the same time, things have changed since then because now, uh, kids actually learn to code like in grade school. And, uh, and know that's a good thing because it, math is not the greatest for a lot people. But if you, if you bring the math piece into the computer realm then it's a lot easier for them to accept and they're more inspired to, to do it. But yeah, I, I started writing code, but that's not what I do now. I mean, I, I, we call 'em code monkeys, right? Because, you know, you're essentially, that's what you're doing. You're tap, tap, tap, tap, tap. You're lucky to bang off six good lines of computer code a day. Uh, 6 to 10. And I learned a bunch of different languages. Cobol, you know, Modula-2, I learned, uh, JavaScript and all this other stuff. I don't use any of that anymore. Uh, but it was a good way to sort of set up what I ended up doing.
Jim Conrad: Yeah. Yeah. Um, so from code writing, uh, what was the first gig after university? You came to Vancouver as I recall, and worked with a company here that was trying to do something a bit, a bit ahead of their time, which was set up mainframe systems that people would just access from their,
Eric Westra: Well, that's a bit of a simplification, but what happened was I got,
Jim Conrad: I'm a simple guy.
Eric Westra: No, no, no. I ended up. Uh, my first gig outta school was with the Premier's office.
Jim Conrad: Right.
Eric Westra: I worked for, uh, BC Trade Development and the Premier's office because they were under the same IT umbrella in Vancouver. And there's a great story about Mike Harcourt when he was the Premier. I was doing some of the, uh, the IT support and one day I get a phone call from Mike's office, which was just down the hall from the Trade Development Corp. Eric, can you come on over? 'Cause Mike has a problem with his printer. And I said, sure, I can, I can come over.
Jim Conrad: Yeah.
Eric Westra: So, uh, apparently I, I walked into the office and, and Dixie, who is normally, uh, Mike Harcourt's EA, executive assistant, was away on vacation. They got somebody from the pool, I guess. And so I said hello to her and I walked into his office and he was sitting at his desk and he was signing a, a big stack of paper and you know, one after the other. And I said, Hey, how's it going, Mike? 'Cause he was, was a first name kind of guy. And, uh, really nice guy. And I started to work on the printer and then all of a sudden I hear this, you know what the, across the room. And I, I said, what's the problem? He said, well, have a look at this. And he was signing a whole bunch of, uh, proclamations, thanking people for participating in the, uh, the Vancouver Centennial. There must have been 5 or 600 of these things. And the salutation at the bottom of the letter, what had happened was the, the new EA had just gone through, you know, spell check, click, click, click, click, without actually looking at what she was doing. And the salutation read, the right honorable Mike haircut. And, and, uh, you know, Mike, not exactly what you would call hirsute. Uh, and, and so, uh, that was, that was one of the funnier stories. But yeah, I,
Jim Conrad: Follicly challenged.
Eric Westra: Follicly challenged Mike was, yeah, that's right. Uh, but yeah, that was one of the, uh, the earliest gigs. And then eventually I, I got into tech communications, you know, tried to marry my background in tech with broadcasting, and then got involved with business analysis and business process and business optimization and then solution architecting. Uh, putting technology together with companies that were going through a lot of change. So that's, that's what I do now.
Jim Conrad: An overall sort of context of this digital revolution of ours, obviously, uh, it's the machine that changed the world, the computer. But a lot of people now are, I guess, rethinking what that change or how much it has changed us. And, and relating back to, you know, being human and, and how we relate to computers. And now the whole idea of artificial intelligence. And we're seeing, while we first saw AI literally and viscerally in 2001. And the voice of HAL, the computer. My favorite line, which I've dubbed the HAL 9000 breakup line is,
HAL 9000: Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
Jim Conrad: That's right. Goodbye.
Eric Westra: Yeah, goodbye.
Jim Conrad: Uh, HAL. HAL? Do you read me, HAL?
Eric Westra: There's a great example of an artificial intelligence machine that didn't have any morality and, and a lot of the discussion around, you know, artificial intelligence these days, 'cause now computers are writing their own algorithms. They're learning and they're changing their own computer code.
Jim Conrad: Now explain to me what is defined as machine learning.
Eric Westra: Well, there's, there's deep machine learning and there's machine learning. And so the two are a little different. Um, machine learning is when a computer algorithm is given the capacity to write its own code, to learn from its mistakes. And to
Jim Conrad: To replicate itself and heal itself.
Eric Westra: Right. So there's a core set of code and instructions in the algorithm. And then it says, you know, go out and try something and under these circumstances if it works, make a note of that. And write your own code so that you do it the same way the next time. And then there's deep machine learning, which is really interesting. And that's around you can build reward systems into computers the same way that you do with pets and humans. You know, if a dog does something right, uh, you give it a, you give it a treat. If a child,
Jim Conrad: Good boy, good boy.
Eric Westra: If a child does something right, you reinforce that. You give them a hug, you say, good, good job. That's the way you do it. So we're doing the same thing with machines now. We're actually creating what we call artificial reward systems.
Jim Conrad: Wow.
Eric Westra: So computer will do something right, it will earn two stars. And if it does better, it gets three stars. So it focuses completely on making sure it gets as many rewards as it can. And through that process, it learns faster.
Jim Conrad: Wow. Now, and this is one, once again, one of those ethical questions that, uh, that has to come up. It came up when they were making the atomic bomb. Yes, we have the scientific capacity and the knowledge to create this. The question is, should we. Have we reached a point of that question in artificial intelligence?
Eric Westra: I think we continue to ask that question. And it's a good question to ask. Um, there's no, you know, artificial intelligence has huge promise. Um, there, there are lots of positive things that can come of it. Um, but like anything, there are a lot of very scary and negative things that come of it, if it isn't handled properly. And this is all through this emerging field called Robo Ethics.
Jim Conrad: Now, thank God we had Isaac Asimov way back when because I, I was actually a big fan of Isaac Asimov, uh, science fiction novels.
Eric Westra: Yeah.
Jim Conrad: Now what were the three rules of robotics?
Eric Westra: So the, the, Asimov proposed that there were three laws in his writings. The first law was that a robot or a machine could not, through either action or inaction, harm a human being. The second law was that, uh, the robot or the machine had to follow the instructions given to it by a human, unless it broke the first law. And the third law was that it had to self preserve itself. It, it couldn't, uh, it had to go through, you know, all the machinations necessary to preserve its existence provided it didn't break the first two laws.
Jim Conrad: So it had a, it had a built in, the third law was self-preservation on, with a caveat, if it didn't break the first two laws.
Eric Westra: That's right.
Jim Conrad: So inside that sort of closed system was an ethical behavior model for robots.
Eric Westra: Right.
Jim Conrad: Uh, how practical is that to build into today's artificial intelligence, can we create those three laws to govern AI?
Eric Westra: The laws are good ones. They seem to make sense. But they can produce, um,
Jim Conrad: Asimov was a genius.
Eric Westra: Yeah, he was. This is 1942.
Jim Conrad: Yeah.
Eric Westra: The thing about it though is that even making things as simple as that, you can end up with machines, uh, getting into, uh, you know, uh, cognitive dissonance we call it. Where, where it tries not to break a law, it makes a move to avoid breaking that law and then by doing so, it breaks another law and then it goes back to the first one. And so it gets caught,
Jim Conrad: Vapor lock.
Eric Westra: Yeah. Essentially. Um, and he, he actually did write about that in a short story. He talked about a robot that got caught in one of those loops. But, you know, if you use modern day sort of explanations around this sort of thing, it becomes much more difficult to nail all this down into a, to a very small set of rules.
Jim Conrad: Because there are so many applications. You mentioned the positive aspects of AI. Uh, give me, let's say the top three, not Alexa.
Eric Westra: Well, Alexa and voice recognition certainly are very, very big right now.
Jim Conrad: If they make, if they make one of those things that sounds like Stephen Fry doing Jeeves. I'm on it.
Jeeves: I was sent by the agencies and I was given to understand that you're required a valet.
Eric Westra: I, I think eventually you, you'll, you can have your voice, voice assistant be whoever you want it to be. There are a set of circumstances can come up in modern life where the machine would be faced with so many different criter to make a decision, it would be very difficult for it necessarily to make the moral or the ethical one.
Jim Conrad: You mentioned this ethical, moral dilemma in a, and I guess it was a thought experiment in regards to self-driving cars. Gimme a run through on that.
Eric Westra: This was put to a group of university students, uh, it's called the child in the tunnel conundrum. So you're in an autonomous vehicle and you're with your family and the car is driving you on a mountain road. It's a two-lane mountain road, and your two kids are in the backseat. Your wife is sitting beside you. And you come around a curve and you're, you know, doing relatively the speed limit, you know, it's an autonomous car, it's following the law. But all of a sudden, uh, as you come around the curve, there is a tunnel entrance and uh, it's got a concrete sort of abutment around the face of it. And, uh, a small child darts out from behind a rock near the tunnel entrance and falls onto the road. The car has two choices really, given the circumstances. It's not going slow enough to stop in time. It either can send the car flying into the concrete or run over the child.
Jim Conrad: So into the abutment, the, the passenger's in the car, the self-driving car. So the computer that's, that's governing that should try to preserve what it's meant to do, which is to avoid harm to human life, meaning the passengers inside the car.
Eric Westra: Right.
Jim Conrad: However, by, by running over the child, it's potentially killing the child. In fact, it's almost a certainty, given the circumstances.
Eric Westra: Okay, so what does the car do? And when the group of university students were asked this about this problem, more than 60% of them said the car should run over the child. What the heck does a child, what, what is that child doing in the middle of nowhere in the first place?
Jim Conrad: The evil spawn of a wiley coyote or what?
Eric Westra: Yeah. It would be one death compared to potentially one or more in the car.
Jim Conrad: So there's a value judgment that has to be made almost instantaneously by the autonomous computer driven car.
Eric Westra: It's no longer a machine just making, uh, a judgment based on the best way to do things. It's making life and death decisions.
Jim Conrad: Yes. Yes.
Eric Westra: And that is where things get really weird.
Jim Conrad: Well, and then given the technology surrounding military applications of drones, and right now, as I believe they are operated by human beings in a bunker somewhere outside of Las Vegas.
Eric Westra: They're autonomous, some of them, uh, they, they don't need, require supervision at all.
Jim Conrad: Well, that's where I, there's another ethical, moral question. You know, you've got a basically death from above being run by an AI driven computer. And the decision making processes inside that computer were coded by humans. So there still is a human connection. But it's, but it's pretty far removed, isn't it?
Eric Westra: It is. And uh, you know, there's talk about eventually some of these drones, I mean, we're getting pretty dark here, but some of these drones,
Jim Conrad: It's a dark and stormy Saturday morning.
Eric Westra: Yes. You know that they would use face recognition to sort of, you know, recognize the face of a terrorist and,
Jim Conrad: As opposed to a child,.
Eric Westra: Uh, yeah. And then, you know, go out and, and essentially assassinate that person. So that's a really dark side of AI and, and there will always be that, I guess. But there are some very positive things. I'm running into it now every day.
Jim Conrad: Yeah. I thought I mentioned, or I requested a bright side aI story. We, we went immediately to the dark side, so let's, let's find some ray of sunshine here somewhere. What's, what's the number one beneficial use to humans and humankind for artificial intelligence?
Eric Westra: Well, there, there, there are lots of them, you know.
Jim Conrad: Robot surgeons?
Eric Westra: Robotic surgery is one. Robotic diagnosis.
Jim Conrad: I don't know if I want HAL, uh, doing my prostate surgery.
HAL 9000: I'm sorry, Jim. The knife slipped.
Eric Westra: But you know, I'm running into situations now where, uh, it's being used for example, to determine how to hook up a borrower with a lending institution based on the borrower's profile. There's a whole bunch of, you know, stuff that goes into making that decision. And AI can be very helpful in making those connections. So that's more of a business efficiency thing.
HAL 9000: I'm sorry, Jim. Your loan application has been denied.
Eric Westra: That's right. Uh, and you know, but there are lots of applications emerging now, and it's gonna become more and more, uh, a part of our lives, uh, every day.
Jim Conrad: I've got a question for you, given that technology is speeding up, that some people are becoming somewhat overwhelmed by it. We're, we're trying to adapt. But it seems that as we, as we adapt, the next thing comes along and then we have to adapt again. And some people are retreating and there's a kind of a backlash. Do you think that there will be a, a time when when we'll reject technology and, and try to go back, back in time if it, if it was possible.
Eric Westra: Well, there already has been. I mean, I keep thinking about Joe Walsh's song, Analog Man. There already has been a bit of a backlash, especially in the music scene. It started with the release of CDs many years ago. And the digitized sound just didn't have the same kind of, the, the word that was used was warmth.
Jim Conrad: Right.
Eric Westra: And so in the last few years especially, we've been seeing a resurgence in, uh, good old vinyl and artists actually pressing their own, uh, instead of going through record companies. And, and it's because that audio files prefer the sound. So there's one example. I think the latest thing that's, that's been. Sort of making people recoil sometimes in sheer, utter terror is AI.
Jim Conrad: Now define AI for me. In a practical sense, what is AI? And how did it develop?
Eric Westra: So it's based on what's called an LLM or a large language model. And the idea is you synthesize, uh, using algorithms, and hardware, uh, the neural pathways in the mind, the human brain, that process language.
Jim Conrad: And it was originally developed to actually model the brain in order to do research on how, on how the brain works, right?
Eric Westra: Neural networks work, yes. And then they became quite helpful when it came to large language models. Because you think about, you know, one word, um, the word right could be spelled a couple of different ways. Could mean several different things. So, you know, the large language model is there to teach the algorithm what the actual meaning of the word and a number of words fit, that are fitted together, what that means in the context for it.
Jim Conrad: Yes. One could define intelligence a number of different ways. A lot of people define intelligence as in AI, in the ability to assimilate all sorts of information to correlate to, to come up with solutions and answers to questions quicker and faster. Or is intelligence coming back to the human aspect is intelligence, creativity?
Eric Westra: I think in, in many respects it is. I mean, we can be creative with language, which is a structure, and we find all sorts of different ways of using musical notes and being creative. And they're, they're a very finite set of sort of things. Uh, ABC, you know, the notes, uh, the chords. So we start to see that, um, the, the real danger actually that's being presented by AI is in the creative space, because now it's possible to manipulate imagery, audio in a way that most fools, uh, the human consumer, if you will, because the, the artificial intelligence has learned what matters most to us.
Jim Conrad: And that is the image?
Eric Westra: Well, it could be the image or nuances of the image. So you take a, for example, you could ask a, a chat bot, or, uh, a piece of artificial intelligence in say, Adobe Photoshop, create a picture for me of a guy age, so and so, uh, that has very pleasant features, is a professional person and is modeled after people who have good leadership qualities.
Jim Conrad: Yes. So, so the, the AI functions as, but you still a, a human being still has to input.
Eric Westra: Oh yeah.
Jim Conrad: Certain things.
Eric Westra: Yeah. The intelligence is, is, is essentially, you know, called from, from a lot of different sources and usually from other people's input. It's, it's only as good as the data that goes into it. And this is part of the problem right now with AI, is that there's so much data going into it, that it's getting confused.
Jim Conrad: And they call that hallucination?
Eric Westra: Hallucination, yeah.
Jim Conrad: Yeah. We're familiar with that, aren't we?
Eric Westra: For many years, my life seemed to be one large hallucination. Uh, thankfully those days are over. Um, but the, the hallucinations are, are created by just throwing a lot of data into the model rather than focusing on quality of data.
Jim Conrad: And, and that's where I, I come always back to creativity and the artist when it comes to technology. Technology certainly has, has released our ability to create, even in multi-track recording. You know, now you can track almost infinitely and sound bites and samples and things like that.
Eric Westra: But it's all mimicry in one form or another.
Jim Conrad: That's true. But as we go forward into this AI world, how is our humanity going to be preserved, do you think?
Eric Westra: Well, I think a lot of people are asking that question now. And thankfully, some of the people like Sam Altman, uh, you know, who heads up ChatGPT, are thinking not just in terms of what the technology can do, but how it should be guard railed.
Jim Conrad: Yes.
Eric Westra: Uh, anybody working in AI who isn't thinking about that, the ethics of AI and the humanity behind AI, shouldn't be in the field. Because the potential is so there for, for misuse.
Jim Conrad: And that's altruistic. But as we know, corporate culture is ruthless.
Eric Westra: Sure. But, but the genie's outta the bottle.
Jim Conrad: Yeah, that's true.
Eric Westra: I mean, right. I mean, and, and, and every time a new technology comes along, there's always a,
Jim Conrad: A human cry. It's it's gonna be the end of humanity.
Eric Westra: You know, uh, digitized music was, you know, we use that example at the beginning of the conversation. I mean, everybody said, oh, it's, that's the end of, you know, a lot of things. Uh, a lot of the, the artists now are just gonna go for the lowest common denominator. They're not gonna get reimbursed, et cetera, et cetera. Okay. Yes. There are changes whenever you have a new technology introduced. Sometimes more than others. The thing is, how do we adapt as humans to the technology? How do we make the best use of it, and how do we make sure that we don't squander the opportunity? Instead of being afraid constantly about what the technology might do wrong, let's focus on what it might do right.
Jim Conrad: Artificial intelligence, alien intelligence. Hmm. We live in interesting times, don't we? Here's what big tech has to say about AI. Sundar Pichai, CEO of Google, the future of AI is not about replacing humans, it's about augmenting human capabilities. Ginni Rometty, former CEO of IBM says, AI will not replace humans, but those who use AI will replace those who don't. And then perched high on the proverbial fence, CEO of SpaceX and Tesla, Elon Musk said, AI is likely to be either the best or worst thing to happen to humanity. Thanks, Elon. But the final word should go to the ultimate tech nerd Bill Gates, co-founder of Microsoft, said, artificial intelligence will evolve to become a super intelligence, we need to be mindful of how it's developed and ensure that it aligns with humanities best interests.
James Cromwell: There have always been ghosts in the machine. Random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols, unanticipated these free radicals and gender questions of free will. Creativity and even the nature of what we might call the soul, or is it something more.
Jim Conrad: That is the Conovision Podcast, the spirit of storytelling, episode three, all about artificial intelligence. My thanks to all the conscious entities in the first AI G7 Summit. We are still trying to decode that digital word salad. To Amazon's Alexa for dropping by with illuminating answers to absurd questions, to Professor Yuval Noah Harari, and his insight into the differential patterns between intelligence and consciousness. The New York Times, for the brilliant story about Douglas Rain, the Canadian Shakespearean actor, and the voice of HAL, the computer in Stanley Kubrick's,
1968 Masterpiece 2001: A Space Odyssey. And as well our tech guru Eric Westra, for his thoughts on the future of AI and what it will mean to us all. And finally, we just heard a monologue from the film I, Robot and the majestic voice of actor James Cromwell. I am James Conrad, AKA Cono, and this has been Conovision, the spirit of storytelling. Until next time, remember, we are all stories to be told.