For the past couple of months, we’ve been cooking up something big: the first iteration of our Global Music Industry Data Report, 6MO! With the help of music tech extraordinaire Cherie Hu, we give you the first taste of it here.... chartmetric.com @chartmetric #chartmetric #6MO #musicbusiness #musicindustry #musicnews #musictech
- For the past couple of months, we’ve been cooking up something big: the first iteration of our Global Music Industry Data Report, 6MO! With the help of music tech extraordinaire Cherie Hu, we give you the first taste of it here.
- Good morning, it’s Rutger here at Chartmetric with your 3-minute Data Dump where we upload charts, artists, and playlists into your brain so you can stay up on the latest in the music data world.
- We’re on the socials at “chartmetric” — that’s Chartmetric, no “S.”
- Follow us on LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook, and talk to us! We’d love to hear from you.
- This is your Data Dump for Friday, Sept. 27th, 2019.
- The Cherie Hu Preview-Review of Our Inaugural Global Music Industry Data Report
- Over the last couple of months, we’ve been cooking up something that we think you’re going to like.
- On Wednesday, we launched the first edition of our Global Music Industry Data Report at an exclusive gathering in New York City, after which music tech extraordinaire Cherie Hu was kind enough to feature her insights in her weekly Water and Music newsletter.
- Because we’ll be publishing this comprehensive data report twice a year, we’ve given it the catchy title — at least we like to think so — of 6MO, aka six months.
- So, without further ado, what’s it all about?
- According to Cherie, 6MO “sheds light on the kinds of perspectives that we’re still missing by relying on incumbent charts like the Billboard Hot 100.”
- Because our approach is revenue-agnostic, we’re more interested in artists’ general online footprints than their sales numbers.
- We’re working with more than 20 data sources, including Amazon Music, Apple Music, Deezer, Spotify, Soundcloud, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, Wikipedia, and Facebook, and we pulled from 1.7M+ artists and 1.1M+ playlists worth of data.
- We’ve divided our report, which spans Jan. 1 to June 30, into three sections: Semi-Annual Awards, Platform-Playlist Analysis, and Strategic Business Insights.
- Our awards section tackles the top performing artists in terms of absolute and percentage-based growth across multiple metrics, including Cross-Platform Performance, YouTube Channel Views Gain, Spotify Monthly Listener Gain, Instagram Follower Gain, and more.
- Our platform-playlist section analyzes artist country and genre market share on the top 30 Amazon, Apple, Deezer, and Spotify playlists.
- Finally, our strategic insights section summarizes important concepts that we’ve developed this year, from trigger cities to the gender play gap and our top performing podcast episodes.
- If you want to get a head start on our January-June 6MO before its wide release next week, it’s available for an early digital download thanks to Cherie’s Water and Music newsletter!
- Either way, you’ll be able to read along when we take a deep dive into it here next week!
What is Your Music Data Dump from Chartmetric?
Fan followers, playlist ranks, monthly listeners...welcome to the world of music business data!
Join Chartmetric, one of the music industry's leading music analytics tools, for your morning shot of the latest news on music charts, artists on the move and influential playlists.
As of Nov 2019, releasing 2-3 times a month for a longer format.
Full show notes: https://podcast.chartmetric.com
#entertainmentindustry #musicbusiness #musicindustry #data