Rap maintains its stronghold in Apple Music’s Top 100 Albums yesterday in the US storefront........chartmetric.com @chartmetric #musicindustry #business #data #nerdout #analysis
- Rap maintains its stronghold in Apple Music’s Top 100 Albums yesterday in the US storefront
- Good morning, it’s Jason here at Chartmetric with your 3-minute Data Dump where we upload charts, artists and playlists into your brain so you can stay up on the latest in the music data world.
- This is your Data Dump for Friday April 26th 2019.
- Apple Music: Top 100 Albums
- Rap and Apple Music continue their close relationship on yesterday’s Top 100 Albums chart for the US.
- Across All Genres, however, it was Beyoncé that was on top in the #1 slot with her album Lemonade released back in April 2016.
- While her Coachella live performance album HOMECOMING was released only last week, that only took the #7 spot yesterday.
- If you’re surprised Lemonade made such a strong debut on the chart three years after its release, it’s because it wasn’t even available!
- Her acclaimed album was available only on Tidal prior to Tuesday, and so coinciding with the release of HOMECOMING, it made the Apple album chart very much a Queen B affair.
- Past that, rap by far had the most genre tags present in the Top 100 album list, with 37 tags, while Pop was in second at 9 tags, and R&B/Soul was in third at 4 tags.
- The #2 spot in the album chart was taken by Charlotte, North Carolina rapper DaBaby with his most recent album Baby on Baby released in February and spending 54 days so far on the chart.
- The #3 position yesterday belonged to Billie Eilish, who’s month-old album WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? continues its glorious run on the Apple Music platform.
- The Apple Top 100 Albums chart is currently favoring older albums, as 46 of them are more than six months old.
- In fact, only six of the 100 are new releases this week, Schoolboy Q’s Crash Talk being the highest ranking in the #6 position.
- Once albums make it onto the Top 100, they mostly stay for about 1-6 months, as 47 of yesterday’s bunch spent that amount of time on the Top 100 so far.
- Thomas Rhett, Morgan Wallen and Brooks and Dunn represent country in the #71, 91 and 92 positions, while Bad Bunny and Aventura are in the #27 and 34 spots for Latin.
- And worry not, K-pop fans, BTS’ latest album did make the chart at #23 with MAP OF THE SOUL: PERSONA.
What is How Music Charts?
How Music Charts is the second season of Chartmetric's music industry + data podcast!
Season 1: "Your Music Data Dump" was 107 episodes of 3-minute, current event-focused episodes involving music data.
Season 2: "How Music Charts" is long-form & interview-driven with music industry guests focused on music & data today.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Chartmetric is on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram (@chartmetric)
Free accounts are available at chartmetric.com
Article links and show notes are at: podcast.chartmetric.com
#entertainmentindustry #musicbusiness #musicindustry #data