In this episode we talk with Joe Cieplinski of Breakpoint Studio and Release Notes about the challenges and benefits companies and freelancers face in a subcontracting relationship.
- Joe Cieplinski
- The Leading indie iOS/Mac (and watchOS, and tvOS) Developer conference
- It's all about Community and Code!
- Four days of hands-on training, amazing sessions, and the great community. All Swift.
- Specialize in helping businesses build apps for iPhone, iPad, Mac and Apple Watch
- 10 years of experience developing for a variety of Apple platform
- Helping dev shops which lack experience with Apple platforms and Swift
Thoughts on WWDC
- An Agency needs flexibility and an extra developer for a project
- An Agency needs a special expertise (i.e. HealthKit, WatchKit, etc…)
- Fill a need for a particular platform and expertise (i.e. iOS) on team with other platform developers
- Have a portfolio and resume - help the agency sell you to other companies
- Be a T-shaped developer - know the how to build an iOS app but also have a special expertise in an area
- Consider being a consultant - help build iOS development teams for companies while also making more money
- Know developers of other platforms - such as Android - if you can work with them then this provides even more value to the agency
- Giving up Flexibility - you can be dropped at anytime because you only filling a role till a full-time employee is hired
- Communication and Management - Understood Your Role Within the Structure
- Don't Talk Money with Client Directly - Discussions on Money and Time should go though the agency always not directly with the client
- Don’t Sell Yourself as an Individual - remember you represent the agency
- Listen to the Team - Follow the agency and client’s protocols and guidelines such as their coding style, etc…
- Joe’s Talk - When a Simple Algorithm will Do
- Leo’s Talk - The Multi-Threaded Asynchronous Parallel World of Swift
What is Empower Apps?
An exploration of Apple business news and technology. We talk about how businesses can use new technology to empower their business and employees, from Leo Dion, founder of BrightDigit.