Imagine working on a PhD for recreation that's also focused on the topic of recreation. That's exactly what Jane Hurly is doing. At the age of 67, she's in the final stages of a PhD in leisure studies with the Faculty of Kinesiology, Sport and Recreation at the University of Alberta.
We talk about...
- Leaving apartheid South Africa to raise a family and build a life in Canada
- Jane’s storied career in TV, feature films and then communications strategy
- Returning to university at the age of 60 to get a master’s degree at Royal Roads which led to doing some coursework at the University of Alberta.
- How unanswered questions from a master’s class in global politics and the massive migrations starting to take place in 2012 turned into the desire to do a PhD
- Researching leisure and its role in resettlement
- The process and demands of doing a PhD
- Finding the right supervisor
- Challenges with ageism in the educational system
- The amazing richness of resources in post-secondary libraries
What is Back to School Again?
A podcast for mid-life learners.