Today’s guest is Curtis McHale. Curtis is a husband, father, web developer, and business coach (you can find him at curtismchale.ca and SFNDesign.ca).
- How seeing his own father spend so much time at work drove him to want to create a life where he could actually spend time with his children.
- Putting everything into his calendar or a todo list.
- How to market in such a way that attracts the right kind of clients.
- Adding constraints to his work to enable him to work smarter and more efficiently.
- Being straightforward and direct when it comes to coaching his clients.
- If you don’t write it down, it won’t happen. You have to align your priorities and goals with what you make time for, and the best way to do that is to write it down.
- You don’t have quality of time unless you have some quantity of time. You can’t just schedule long vacations and consider that quality time without having some type of existing relationship to build upon.
- Plan your week and have your top priorities written down (3-5 of them). Too many people get stuck in productivity porn. Ultimately, tools aren’t the solution because they’re aren’t the problem.
- Don’t just do something because it’s what your client says they want. Your job is help them figure out what they really need, whether they know it or not.
- Make sure your marketing and positioning is focused around your ideal customers. Marketing isn’t about you - it’s about your customers. Use your marketing to attract the kinds of customers you want to serve.
Important Mentions in this Episode
What is Live In The Feast?
Live In The Feast is a seasonal podcast for developers and designers looking to discover their niche to build recurring revenue. So that they can live the life that they want and ultimately reach the goals of why they started their own business in the first place. Each season will be a theme specific to your business. And each episode features a guest who's been there before and achieved success. You'll get actionable takeaways for you to implement in your business immediately after each show. No fluff, no pie in the sky dreaming, this is real-life examples and takeaways for you.